the Rift

missed connections. [dingo]

Osiris Posts: 88
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.3hh :: 13.
Comadre :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Boom Boom!

The hunt filled the minds of the predators as they moved through the forest, shadows rising from the depths of the forest, swiftly weaving through the trees and silently stepping upon the loam. Osiris had long since begun eating less of a carnivorous diet, but the serrated teeth would suggest that he had at one point ingested the flesh of other mammals. With the expert stance imitating that of a wolf as he closes in on a deer, that assumption is affirmed. The small trio of wolves surrounds from the other side; the instinctual abilities of this pack are heightened, for their communication is connected toward the massive hybrid, with eyes in the sky directing their movements well. Comadre finds the hunt to be fun, little more than a game.

The wolves, however, hunt to survive.

It is with expert care that the hybrid lifts himself into the air, slamming his figure forward onto the body of the stag, its limber body careening in a sick crescendo to land upon the floor, legs flailing underneath it as Little Sister leaps from her hiding places and swiftly ends the life of the struggling beast warm beneath Osiris's paws. The wolf swiftly jumps away from the deer, calling out to the others with a quiet howl, giving the all clear. Kaya is good at hunting, Comadre says with a grin as he lands deftly on his bonded's shoulder. "Who?" the wolf asks, an ear cocking back on his head with confusion. Kaya, the wolf, the dragon chides, looking at his bonded with disapproval. All this time, and you don't even know her name?

Dumbfounded, the massive hybrid looks toward the wolf who bites into the flesh of the felled deer, the female wolf glancing back at him with glowering eyes. Why are you staring, brother? she asks in the chasms of his mind, which Comadre hears played back in his. "Your name is Kaya?" he asks quite shocked, and a barking laugh ensues from the crowd of wolves around their kill, sounding like a choir of dogs as they bark at the moon. And yours is Osiris, brother. You certainly are dense when it comes to niceities. The wolves continue their strange array of chuckles until the hybrid's frown grows deep enough for his brow to crease underneath the thick pelt of fur.

"Then what are their names?" the hybrid asks, motioning his head toward the larger male wolf and the youngest and more wiry of the pack. Pahana and Mukki, Comadre offers up, another toothy grin peeling on his face as he coos a laugh at his bonded as well. "How the hell can you know that while I don't?" Osiris asks, his face contorted into a look surprisingly hurt. You just don't pay attention, Osiris, the black says with a small shrug before leaping from the wolf's broad shoulder unto the deer, sharp teeth dragging into flesh and taking a snapping bite.
""

[ I don't mind people joining, but since this is for Dingo's quest, please ask her permission first. ^^ ]

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo

HEROES MAY DIE

Destrier had wandered throughout a good portion of Helovia already, seeking those with a scaly friend at their sides. It was not as easy as he'd originally thought it might be, for he knew very few with such. Dragons were a rather popular thing back home in the Edge, but for one reason or another, the Friesian had set off in search of others. Perhaps it was the simple need to stretch his legs and venture out on his own for some time, or to allow Tor some time alone with their children, he wasn't sure.

With every step, the Friesian moved further into the depths of the forest, until the canopy stretched above him became dense and and seemed to block out the light of the setting sun. Beams of light still filtered through, however little, as if the God who had given him the quest in the first place didn't want to miss a beat of Destrier's progress. He doubted that the God truly cared, though, for he had seemed rather annoyed upon his arrival.

Even as darkness began to envelope the forest, it held an eerie sort of beauty to it. Perhaps it was the mystery of what lie beyond what his eyes could see that drew him deeper into the forest, or maybe it was simply his thirst for adventure. It was a blessing and yet a curse, for the Friesian knew not what kind of monsters lay nestled beyond the narrow footpath he walked.

The sound of a voice in the distance alerted him that he was not alone. He was unable to make out the exact words, so drew to a halt, dark ears flickering to catch any noise. A moment of silence, and then more words; "Then what are their names?" A cool breeze undulated through the trees and whipped his mane, and it was at that moment that Destrier realized he was standing upwind to the speaker. The realization was an unsettling feeling in his chest, and with a deep exhale, the Friesian continued locomotion through the forest and drew closer and closer to the sounds of voices.

However, as the gap between the unforeseen speaker and himself shrank, Destrier was able to catch the salty smell of blood in the air. His instincts were already kicking in, telling him to run away as quickly as he could, but another part of him yearned to know if somebody had been hurt. Could he help them? Or would he be signing a warrant to his own death?

"Hello?" He spoke up, swallowing any sort of anxiety that was beginning to well within him. As he rounded a massive pine, he suddenly spotted the scene, and what he saw drew his breath away. There were wolves, three of them from what he saw, feasting upon the still body of what looked to be a deer. They were not alone, however, for the towering form of an equine stood amongst them. He knew it would be impossible for the canines not to have noticed him by now, so running seemed useless.

Giving a deep exhale, Destrier took a step back, his eyes moving from the wolves to the equine, or what appeared to be such, and then back again. "I am sorry," he managed to say, "I can leave."

BUT LEGENDS ENDURE

Image Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Hidden Account

Hello? Osiris's head snaps around, away from his bonded and toward the pine, ears swiveling to capture the sound. His nostrils flare, a futile effort to catch the scent of another over the smell of metallic blood. His eyes widen, trying to take in as much light in the dim area as possible. Around the tree, a shadow seems to move. His eyes figure the outline into the massive body of a stallion, though the great wolf was definitely larger. Stepping protectively closer between the smallest wolf, Mukki, and the growing body of shadows, the hybrid tries to meet the eyes of the stranger in a cold detachment. From behind him, the sound of teeth grinding against bone stops as each of the wolfs look up from their meal, bloodied faces turned toward the newcomer, golden eyes curious but more weary than anything. The last time an equine had greeted them, they had been chased. It was not likely that they would make the same mistake twice by trusting the unknown.

Still, Kaya looks up at Osiris with trusting eyes. The hybrid watches their new found company carefully, looking for any signs of threat. He seems more frightened of the wolves than they are of him, and he glances down from his shoulder to look into the larger eyes of the female. Mind him not, sister, he says into the caverns of her mind, and with that the trio continue to eat, as if the black stead had not arrived at all. Comadre, however, coos and comes to land upon the shoulder of his bonded, vivacious purple eyes looking out past the broad neck of Osiris, nose peaking through his mane to the other side. Only the dragon's head is visible, though his mouth is pulled into a toothy grin in welcome, however terrifying it might look in reality.

"As long as you mean no trouble," the wolf says, "there is no need to leave." Obviously, the black stallion was more shaken up in the crowd of canines than Osiris was of him. Still, there was a nervous reality in the back of his mind. Others did not understand the need of predators, treated them as evil creatures. However, his family was far from the evil spirits they were made out to be. Innocent and brave creatures, worthy of his protection. They had saved him after the cataclysm in Isilme, without ever requesting repayment from him. As such, he had grew to be much fonder of the hated wolf than the trusted equines. They were more civil and kind than many of his other half had been.

"Are you lost?" Surely, he must be, if he wandered in to the smell of blood and wolves.
""

Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo

HEROES MAY DIE

Much to his surprise, the strange creature that looks much akin to an equine seems hardly a threat in the way that he speaks, nor do the wolves seem to pay him much mind as they resume carnage on their hefty meal. It was a repulsive smell, one that screamed at Destrier to run away before he had even stumbled across them this close. Yet... if instinct had been trying to drive him away, why had he pressed forward like this?

"I mean no harm," he assured, giving a small shake of his head, "I was merely exploring the depths of the forest. Perhaps it was foolish of me to venture out at such a time in a place so unknown to me." Above, the moon was able to pierce through parts of the thick canopy, and it wasn't until now that the Friesian took note of just how different Osiris was from a normal equine like himself. His coat was much too thick for Tallsun, and the coloring of it was a representation of the feasting canines not far from him. Beneath him, it was not hooves that held him up above even Destrier's height, but paws. The whole of the other creature standing before him was a curious thing indeed, but the Protector was beyond staring.

The sight that drew him in even more was the sudden appearance of what could only be a dragon, it's dark scales flashing in the light of the moon before coming to land on the hybrid's shoulder. Instantly, he was reminded of the quest given to him by the God of the Sun; he needed to fetch scales from three separate dragons, and while scale hunting had not been the reason for his wandering of the forest, why pass the rare opportunity up? The only other two dragon's he could recall were Akaith, the Dragonheart's gilded companion, and Lace's white dragoness, Fajira, whom he had not seen in recent weeks.

The wolven hybrid speaks again, asking if he were lost. He'd lost track of how far he'd ventured into the thick of the forest, but surely the rise of the sun was not too far off, nor would it be too difficult to find his way back. "I suppose I would be lying if I said I knew where I was going," he said, a short, warm chuckle leaving his throat at the statement, "But I have faith I will make it out."

By now, Destrier was wishing that he could have met the towering stallion on any other occasion. For as much as the Friesian had witnessed in his life, as many situations he'd been through, never had he found himself in quite the predicament as this one. He felt it blunt to outright and randomly request a scale from the stranger, if not a little rude. So instead, the Protector sucked his fear up and took a step forward, his posture relaxing considerably from when he had first arrived. "May I ask your name? As well as your friends here? I am Destrier of the World's Edge."

[Super awkward post is super awkward]

BUT LEGENDS ENDURE

Image Credits

Hidden Account

What a strange fellow.

Whoever this was he seemed frightened of the wolves partaking in their meal, for what normal equine would not? Still, he stands, albeit rather out of sync from his normal behavior, if Osiris had a guess. The hybrid tends not to care about such behavior. After all, he had been gawked at for the majority of his life on this earth, either with hateful or frightened or sickeningly fascinated eyes. The black brute makes some effort to avert his gaze, though, even if they linger a little too long on the dragon which nestles on his back. "Jealous, Osiris?" the dragon asks in the cavern of they mind with sarcasm. The wolf rolls his eyes, looking down toward his shoulder at the little reptile. "Like I would be jealous of an idiot."

Sitting up, the dragon frowns, pouting, turning his attention away from his bonded and looking with overly dramatic eyes toward the newcomer. He huffs, not genuinely, in sadness, giving the stallion a wink with one of his eyes. Comadre was very fluent with interaction when it came to others, and Osiris had no idea why mny found the little black so amusing. He thought that the dragon was a simpleton who enjoyed attention. At least, he got what he wanted most of the time.

"Aye, the forest is home to many things not fit for broad daylight," the wolf says in response to the stallion's musings that maybe he should not have ventured so far alone. The hybrid was somewhat amused that a full grown man could not travel out on his own in this day and age. Perhaps, that kind of luxury was reserved for monstrous beings such as himself, or thoughtless young maidens like Ophelia. That girl had always been one to lack obvious regard for danger, even as a young filly. He smirks at the memory of their meeting in a cave. It had been so long ago, now, but it still felt very near in his mind.

Lost, yet not lost. This guy just continues to make Osiris wonder about him. "Usually turning back in the direction you came works out well," he says with a chuckle, almost dismissive in tone. At his feet, the creak of teeth gnawing on bone. It had been a long while since he had spent time with another equid in the presence of his wolf family. Osiris found that typically his other halves were seen as evil creatures, violent and bloodthirsty. Osiris viewed it as quite the opposite. His family killed to survive, but the equines killed out of hatred, jealousy, greed, or sheer indifference. They were ugly things.

May I ask your name? Surprised, Osiris turns lifted brows toward the stallion with a sidelong glance. "Destrier of the World's Edge, eh?" he says with a smirk. "I am Osiris of the Grey. The small wolf is named Mukki, the larger Pahana, and the female is Kaya." At least his memory wasn't failing him so soon after having learned the names himself. "The brat on my shoulder is named Comadre."
""

HEROES MAY DIE

Although I had never had a negative encounter with wolves before, it was merely instinct that kept my muscles tense and ready to bolt away, or fight, if it was necessary. The canines seemed satisfied enough with their latest capture, though, that I supposed I shouldn't be reacting like this. Deep down, I felt like a complete imbecile standing here, making awkward, petty conversation with the towering hybrid. This was a situation I had never planned to get myself into, and as uncomfortable as I was, I wouldn't simply walk away.

The wolven equine looked to his scaly counterpart and spoke, to which I suddenly felt a flutter within my chest. Was he calling me the idiot? While I didn't truly blame either for thinking I was such, why would either be jealous? Before the worry could take too tight a hold on me and seep through the surface, however, I watched as the dragon frowned and turned away from the other stallion, giving an indignant huff. A part of me wishes to know more of their silent communication, for it is ever fascinating, but I put my curiosities aside for now.

When his company agrees that turning around usually helps to find one's way back home, my lips tug back and I chuckle softly. Perhaps if I were younger, I would have been offended by the statement, but I had grown wiser since those years. I speak nothing in response to him, however, and instead tune in as he states his own name. Osiris of the Grey. I had heard of the Grey's recent overtaking of the Foothills, and wondered briefly if Osiris had partaken in the battle that had undoubtedly occurred. He tells me the names of each wolf, to which I cast my gaze to decipher who is who, before looking back to my company and his dragon, Comadre.

"It is good to meet you, Osiris of the Grey," I say with a smirk, before shifting my focus somewhat. As strangely kind as this fellow seemed to be, I did not want to hold him up from time with his wolven family, for I was unsure if he would be joining them in their festivities or not. Even if I sounded silly for asking, it was best to get my question out of the way. "Osiris," I begin again, exhaling softly as I finally force the words from my throat, "I do not wish to keep you from your family any longer, but might I ask a favor of you?" There is a pause, long enough for the hybrid to give a suitable answer before I continue on. "The Sun God has bestowed upon me a task, that I must gather a scale from three separate dragons. Do you think that you," I pause again, lifting my bister gaze to the small dragon still perched upon the stallion's back, "Or Comadre... Could aide me in my quest?"

BUT LEGENDS ENDURE

Image Credits

Hidden Account

It is good to meet you, Osiris of the Grey. The large hybrid witholds a sigh, glancing over with sleek eyes for a moment. Was it really? He hardly believed any aside from Ophelia had ever been pleased to meet him. For a while, he had considered Virva to be part of that list. Now, however, as he stares into the dark shadows behind the head of Destrier, he knows that he had been foolish. Ophelia was a strange girl, but she had always been. Virva had been grounded and well-minded. Only the strange were able to tolerate those who were also oddities. It had been a dream of his from the start, nothing else.

And this stallion. He may be a bit dimwitted to walk into a pack of wolves feasting on flesh, but he did not seem like an odd character. Perhaps there was something within the mind of this boy the wolf could not see. Oddities hide often enough, but Osiris did not see anything overtly unsettling about this character. Ophelia had aged eyes as a filly. This one just has a coat as dark as night and a strange sense of pleasure, apparently. Maybe, hopefully, he was just being polite.

Osiris grunts in response to the nicety, however, not offering any insight to his feelings about it. The wolf was uncertain whether or not it was good to have met Destrier of the World's Edge yet. He doubted that he would ever find out. As the stallion begins to narrow in on a point, however, the hybrid turns to face him. Gruff, rough face looks at the stallion with narrowed eyes until his tongue finally spits out his purpose. The hybrid appears almost displeased, until a small smile on his face grows into a small chuckle.

"I am no dragon, boy," he says with a rich baritone voice. "So, I believe the one who you would owe a favor is Comadre." Hearing his name, the little black coos and swirls over toward Destrier. Violet eyes stare intently at the stallion before a nightmarish yet innocent smile of pointed teeth breaks between scaled lips. "Esssssssssstreeee," the reptile purrs the name as best he can, before reaching back toward his tail and wrestling out a scale. When the strange shaped object dislodges from the skin beneath, the dragon is sent reeling back in the air with a thrilling coo before leathery wings stabilize him. Flapping back toward the stallion, the dragon offers forth the scale, smile still intact.

"Gfffft," he says. Gift. Comadre has made another friend for the small price of a sore heiny.
Great.
""

HEROES MAY DIE

Of course I knew that this hybrid was no dragon; that hadn't been what I meant, but... I sighed inwardly, feeling nothing short of ridiculous. Had I wandered across the towering male at any other time, when his pack was not feasting away at a kill, how different would it have been? I certainly would have been more comfortable, but as for the group before me...

I was rambling now.

My eyes fell upon the obsidian dragon, who was nearly completely cloaked in the veil of night, save for the intense violet eyes set into his head and the glimmering teeth in his mouth. A hissing, elongated form of my name slipped from his mouth before he twisted about, grasping a scale embedded into his tail and pulling it free. A smile alights my face as I watched him reel back and then fly closer to me, reaching out and offering the scale to me. "Thank you, Comadre. This means a lot to me," I spoke up and took a step closer, reaching out and carefully taking the scale between my lips.

Now, my gaze befell Osiris. The wolf-horse was a mystery to me, and although we completely different from one another, I hoped that we might cross paths again under different circumstances one day. Or, maybe the stallion thought differently and wished never to see me again. "I extent my thanks to you as well, Osiris," I said at last, wondering briefly if he would even care, or understand why I was thanking him. "Perhaps our paths will cross again some day."

BUT LEGENDS ENDURE

Image Credits