the Rift

Ceteris Paribus {HERD MEETING}

Gossamer the Benevolent Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16hh :: 13
Illusion{Illu}
I only went from the third time Goss posted just because otherwise it was getting too difficult to copy.

Gossamer the Benevolent
-Equine....Mare....16hh....10-

Gossamer saw Solstice becoming somewhat distracted and frowned inwardly. She knew, of course, that the mare had just lost her lover, but herd meetings were important occasions. Perhaps her Warrioress was merely wishing her mate was here today? None-the-less she brought herself quickly back to the present and Gossamer made a mental note to find duties to give the mare to keep her mind off things. Her little colt Aaron, a fine young colt, blushed at her words and seemed to want to say something but instead merely commented on it being a pleasure to meet her. A brave young lad indeed. Perhaps she should bring up Smoke's idea of foal-apprenticeship being made available for the areas of warrior-ship, scholarly endeavors or defense, politics, or trade. A sort of trade school for the foals. Eh, she would see the course of the meeting.

The beastly mother was loud and obnoxious and her thoughts mimicked her as well, Gossamer herself was weak, other horses annoyed her, keep the mares away from her, and etc. and etc. She really did not like the attitude of this mare, she didn't even have to listen to her out-pouring thoughts to know that the mare didn't like the two leads. However, while she did not seem to be a good soul, she was in need of a home, and she seemed to be capable of following the basics of the herd so she didn't care, "I remember quite well, thank you Archibald. I merely wanted the new members to be acquainted with the herd so the others would know they were a part of the herd." her voice held a slight amount of annoyance at the words of her warrior, but no other sign was visible of her extreme dislike of the Matriarch. Smoke did well and backed her up, saying the words she hadn't really wanted to speak. It was true, all horses must follow the rules or punishments would be doled out....though not the usual kind...no indeed not. What Smoke had not mentioned was that it would be a very long time before they were ever made Outcast. Taking this as her cue to explain further upon the laws Gossamer picked up where her fellow co-lead had left off.

Indy was standing firmly at her side, but had chosen not to make any comments and leave it up to the mares. She wished he hadn't, he'd always been good with clearly articulating what he meant. Behind him, Poppy was wandering about, but nearby as well.

Her regal stature held firm, grace and elegance continueing to emit from her being. She spoke in a kind, but authoritative voice.

"Yes, Smoke has brought up a good point. This herd is a herd of safe haven for all and requires that all horses treat, and at least tolerare one another's presence, even if they do not care for them. These rules are all fine and good in thought, but without something to back them up they mean little. As such laws have been set up which one must follow. They are not harsh, nor are they cruel, but all have set punishments which will be carried out.
-insert all the info from laws thread here-
and, as I said, no horse will be made outcast quickly or easily, barring certain circumstances, and even then the whole herd will be assembled to vote before the decision made final." She paused here to take breath as she looked about the amassed horses present. A breeze came by and gently ruffled her mane then, a sign from the gods of their encouragement she supposed. Then she carried onwards.

Lazulli silently reminded her to line out the herd duties, as she was about to skip to what needed immediate filling, and so she went over that as well. Explaining warriors, shadows, judges, diplomats, and the merchants which would soon be installed. Then, she continued with an explanation of what ranks needed immediate filling.

"While all ranks are important, while we are still a growing herd, we need horses to fill at least some of these important roles. The most important, and of immediate necessity, is a Head Warrior. For all current warriors interested in the position, Smoke will be holding a meeting after this one which will discuss that position.

Secondly, there is the immediate need for 3 Judges to fill the roles so the laws can be effectively put in place. A precise, fair, wise and scholarly mind is needed for the positions.

Thirdly, I need horses for the Diplomat positions. Both the Judge positions and the Diplomat positions are closely related and, therefore, if the need arises a horse may hold both titles at once. This, however, is not preferred, for each horse must be able to focus on their specific task.

We are, as always, open to the training of new warriors. However, currently, Shadows are needed to begin reporting information. While we, as a herd, will conduct no invasions, it is still important to know if others are planning ones against us. All of the ranks I have listed about come with a Title.

Furthermore, in the defense area, scholar horses are needed to go over the herdland and address areas which are weak Scholarly-minded horses are also needed to study things such as food production, useful crafts, and to give speeches in the herdland on interesting and important topics to widen our knowledge and increase our culture. We are also in need of a storyteller, a rank which also comes with title.

I know we have enough horses to fill most of the open upper ranks, our herd is strong, and filling these ranks will make it even stronger. So who will fill our ranks?" She paused here again, that section of the meeting having been addressed, Gossamer the Benevolent waits for her herd members to speak up on what they would like to do.

After this section, she would talk about the border patrol, minders, and Threshold Greeters who would travel there to recruit horses to the herd. These are, of course, just regular chores. But those who, like the scholars, volunteered would, of course, be higher up in herd ranks than those who did nothing.

Words: 518
Tagged: xxx
-NARMER AND ENNA CHILL ON THE SIDE-

EVERS

The small blue had watched as Archibald took charge of the issue. Sighing, he contemplated the fact it would be 'their' little family that would cause the first upset. Evers winced as his mother spoke, she had no tact to say the least. Casimir was ever present at his side and Evers touched him in comfort before turning to listen intently to Gossamer. She was speaking of ranks within the herd, something the little stallion had been waiting for to come up. Lately, he'd been feeling like a spare part. Nothing much to do, he'd left all his questing for knowledge in the land of Isilme.

The Chieftess spoke of a head warrior position in which Evers automatically looked to Archibald, he had no doubts that his brother would most definitely give it some thought. After all, his mind and body was most suited for an area like that. The next two were the ones that interested Evers the most. For a knowledgeable mind like his, a judge and/or diplomatic position would suit him the best. The blue was a scholar at heart and the two positions rather excited him, Gossamer seemed to stress the need for such minds as the actual knowledge of the land wasn't that great. Feeling an adventure stirring again and noting no one else had spoken yet, Evers slowly took a few steps forwards and addressed their lead. "Scholar minds you say? May I offer my services, in my old herd I was a scholar and did a lot of research into many areas. I can offer my brains to both a judges position and/or a diplomatic one. I can't say I'd be a great fighter for you, but I can devise battle strategies and discuss new and old laws." Little did she know, Evers could ramble on all day about it.

For now he stopped, and rather gingerly stepped back next to Casimir. He wasn't one for centre of attention, that was for sure.

SOLSTICE AND AARON

Solstice focused as Gossamer began to speak. Many open positions within the herd. Her eyes flickered to Aaron only for a moment as the role of Head Warrior was brought up. She had been seeking such a role among the Oasis herd.... Here would be no different. She stood proud like a warrior should, very much looking like both her mother and father. Sols glanced back to Aaron as the more knowledge sided positions were mentioned..... Her son had never been one for fighting, and she could understand this now more than ever. Her own mother had not been born a fighter, but had become one to prove something to both the herd and herself. This thought brought a smile to her muzzle. I will give my all.... Not just to protect this herd and my son..... But to remember those who made me who I am... Her ears flicked back and forth listening to all around as Gossamer spoke of the other herds.... The older fem was right, until more was known they needed to be careful. She was glad to hear that they would not be invading, but protecting themselves by gathering such information. As soon as Gossamer finished speaking one of the strange one sons spoke up about being in such a role. As she looked him over Solstice couldn't help but smile. He seemed much different than his mother. Once he was finished Solstice looked to Smoke speaking calmly "As for the Head Warrior position, I will be highly interested as I was trying for that same role back home...." She just hoped she could do the position well, just like her father had in the Valley.....

Aaron listened well to all speak, inwardly cringing as his own mother spoke of trying to be Head Warrior again... He sighed knowing that in training herself for what would test her, she would in turn test him. However the one thing Gossamer had not spoken of was something the Oasis had been starting... Something for the foals as training..... On this he spoke right after his mother "And what of us young ones who wish to learn now, before we come of age to either fight or become a scholar. What can we do?" Granted it would not be long before he would be of age, but until then Aaron wanted to make his family proud.

SMOKE THE WILD ROSE

An ear twitch and a sway of her tail was all the response that the grulla mare gave the shapeshifter's sarcastic comment. Both mares were fully aware of the exact point that Smoke had meant to press, and that this other mare danced around while trying to make the Military Chieftess look bad. Irritation boiled beneath the surface, but was denied a chance to surface by the pause taken before she nodded slightly. "So long as you are aware of our laws and the repercussions of breaking them."

She fell silent and withdrew a step to stand beside Gossamer fully once more as the pale mare spoke up. Dark eyes drifted from the family cluster across the way to study the other herd members and their reactions to what had and what was being said. She paused at Solstice, offering a bolstering smile. Smoke knew of the painted mare's past goals and the one she'd lost, understood and sympathized. Perhaps sometime later she'd let the younger mare know just how much she understood, how she too had not been followed from Isilme by a stallion she wished was there.

When a voice piped up from Archibald's little circle, she glanced over in pleasant surprise at Evers. It was nice to see that someone in that group wished to be a contributing part of the herd, beyond the warriorish stallion she'd sparred with before. The roan unicorn would fit quite well into the roles he inquired after.

Solstice spoke then, addressing the grulla mare directly. Dark eyes flicked back to the young mare, and her head inclined slightly. "I suspected you would be, Solstice. But you will not be the only one to seek it, and we'll address that later." Perhaps the paint would be surprised by the one that Smoke expected to arrive for that particular part of the meeting.

Then she looked down to Aaron and grinned. "We expect you, and the other foals of the herd, to learn. Every single member of the herd has something valuable for you to learn. From history to politics to self defense and everything in between, it is up to you youngsters to seek out and find that knowledge."

Her gaze lifted from the colt, voice lifting. "And there are others outside the herd from whom we can learn. We have allies, bands of outcasts that are both old friends and new. There is the Tuuli, a group of pegasi whose leader hails from Isilme, who seek to take a herdland as their own but have promised us security in return for whatever aid we have to offer them. And there is Mirage, bonded of golden Akaith who keeps us company, and her friends. Anyone from these two groups are welcome to come and go from the Foothills, for they are our friends." Only a tilt of her head to indicate the large golden dragon perched upon her withers broke that spiel and her gaze that had fallen on each of her herdmates in turn.

Indy Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
A mild look of annoyance was all that was present on Indy's face. He found the jaguar mare to be quite rude and rudeness was one way to push his buttons. He bit his tongue rather than say anything to the mare that would disrupt the meeting anymore than it was already being disrupted by her and her son. His gaze traveled to Archibald and the annoyed look grew. Impressed was one thing Indy was not with this stallion. He was cocky, he thought, and rude. Regardless of whether or not a deal had been made it was disrespectful to speak to Gossamer the way he had. His weight shifted and the large black stallion stepped forward and stood shoulder to shoulder with his mate. He looked to Smoke as she gave the jaguar mare a curt reply.

Still, the stallion remained silent as the mares continued to speak to the herd about warriors and judges and all of the other ranks that were to be put in place. "Any of you who would like to tread the waters of diplomacy." He finally spoke, his eyes going from face to face of the ones that had gathered. "I would like to speak with you at a later date." He needed to do something and he always thought he was good at diplomacy. He could keep his cool and he could compromise with others who were open minded enough. Something the jaguar mare and her son were not. They would not make good diplomats, but those who had patience and did not resort to violence immediately would be good. He would be able to teach them what he knew.

Madyrn Maskan Posts: 87
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 16
Whit

The brothers stood, shoulder to shoulder, at the edge of the meeting, willing to intervene with their physical bulks if needed, but mostly observing and silently absorbing all that went on. Such chaos and unrest, it was one’s typical dysfunctional herd life. They had seen it all before. Making mental notes of the important figures, like Smoke and Indy, the boys knew who they were to bow to and who they had little care for. Gossamer had a tendril of their respect, but it would take time for the herd to win their hearts over. The stallions had easily recognised the golden dragon of their sister sitting atop the dappled mare, and smiled at each other as Smoke indeed confirmed Mirage’s association with the herd. Already her name spreads like the dark little shadow she is. They thought fondly of her, proud and yet concerned at the same time. They had met with her on their way towards these Foothills, they knew of the group she led and as they had explained to Gossamer, they had pledged themselves first to her. But she was a devious little minx, and her group allowed those within in to roam where they pleased. The stallions longed to learn of others within this group, the Qian, but doubted many members of this herd were a part of it – yet, at least.

Akaith, having been given her introduction and served her purpose, flitted to the stallions now, affectionately tugging at their unruly manes, making a draconic version of purring resonate in her breast. The brutes returned the affections, murmuring quietly to the dragon to pass their love onwards to their sister. The golden one nodded in understanding, before taking to the air again. She communicated with Lazulli that she was grateful to be welcomed, and hoped to see the friendship of their bonded’s kind grow strong. Chirruping happily, the queen dipped her wings in farewell, having seen enough of this meeting to know what to communicate to her bonded, and feeling no further need to sit still and listen to horses debate over horsey things. She was a dragon after all.

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

I WANT TO FEEL THE PAIN AND THE BITTER TASTE
OF THE BLOOD ON MY LIPS, AGAIN

Paladin quietly, and he hoped, subtly, entered the small gathering in the Foothills. He wanted to be a part of this herd with Soleil and her parents. Perhaps a part of him was eager to join the family he never had. Either way, the simple life of being a father was not suited for his warrior's mind. He needed a task, a job, a fight. His ears perked forward and as he listened to the three leads, he realized how little he missed being in their position. Not that the job was too difficult, but rather the scrutiny that came along with it. Paladin was never good under scrutiny. He had too many chinks in his historical armor.

"If you have a place for me, I would serve under whatever banner you find suits me best. Though, as I believe Lady Smoke will attest to, that banner is better suited in the more... violent and protective arts." Paladin gave a short but proper bow and moved forward to stand beside smoke. As he listened to how to threaten members for disobeying, the stallion's expression hardened. "Not to overstep my bounds, but from experience, you have to be prepared to make the hard decisions, barring a vote to protect your land. Though I lived in darker times, I fear there are always unscrupulous individuals waiting to take over."

Gossamer the Benevolent Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16hh :: 13
Illusion{Illu}
Gossamer nods at Evers in thanks for his offer after the blue finishes speaking. "Thank you Evers, you may serve both positions for now and later, if you like, you may tutor a foal in one or both of the positions." She smiles at him before turning to Solstice and bowing her head in acknowledgment of the mare's brave offer. "Thank you solstice, Smoke will be holding that meeting soon after this one.". Shortly after Smoke makes a wonderful speech about their alliances and Mirage and especially about their plans to help the herd grow with the foal training. Indy speaks up and offers himself as a tutor in diplomacy after that, yet somehow seeming to be slightly before. She really did love her mate. He was always there for her, despite her worries about their recent distance in light of her new, busy, position. Her eyes sparkled for a moment and she gave him a warm nuzzle.

She turned to Paladin lastly, as he was the last to speak, and listened to his words. "Thank you for your input Paladin. You are not in the least over-stepping anything for this herd is open to all ideas and input. Your words carry weight and consideration stemming from experience. However, this herd must remain as free and diplomatic as possible. Certainly, if the situation were dire enough all of the leads would make a joint decision or even just one if the situation called for such action. But the rules and diplomacy will be held up as every horse, no matter the position, deserves a voice and certain rights which must not be taken away."