the Rift

A Fine Craft [Crowley]

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

It was glass, sure, but a talisman of a beautiful sort; supposedly honed and crafted in the Heart of the World by some wayward journeyman, forgotten amongst the mists and the dreary overcast skies of the northern wood. Perhaps the poor creature had found himself as the unwitting meal of some larger, stronger, ravenous brute, and left his handiwork behind, unfinished with splintered edges? Perhaps it was just a testament to the peculiarities of nature herself; to polish and create something so gorgeous, then discard it as nothing more than a common stone. Sin didn’t know for sure—and neither did he care, in all honesty. It was the Questioning in itself that entertained him, kept his mind humming along smoothly and without hitch. It was fun to think about this little black, shiny piece of unusualness; it was so alien, it felt as though it were a dream artifact that had fallen from a meteor or some other celestial body, or maybe had tumbled through the shattered mirror of his Haruspex’s cave. Whatever. It was pretty, and Sin coveted it, holding it gently between his teeth, careful that he wouldn’t pierce his tongue against the jagged edges of the obsidian.

It felt good to muse upon an inanimate object, no matter its opulence; so much time had spent worrying and wrinkling the dappled hide right off his back about people and places and things and possibilities and..and…and those other things he had no control over. People had a way of pining for peace by making it oh-so impossible to accomplish. It had torn Sin to shreds, his mind floundering for a way out—his heart was broken to pieces, and while he ignored the splintered pieces of the Void that made up his psyche, he knew it would be difficult to ignore it. At least, it would be difficult to ignore it by his sheer force of will. It took something more; something shining and brilliant, made of nature and abnormal selection; a piece of hard obsidian, glowing purple in the light of the Basin, inlaid with a curious piece of frosted crystal that glimmered in the aurora, shining brilliant colors, violets and blues and a certain, endearing mercury—

Whoa.

The pleasure-pain was threatening to bubble up in the back of Sin’s throat—and he needed to release himself from that. As he entered the Basin, trudging up the snowy corridor of his homeland, Sin made a beeline straight for the hot springs. They held…tender memories, sure, but he pushed those memories away for now; they were efficient for melting the ice from his joints and soothing his tensed muscles. It was a useful place, no matter its previous…affiliating. Besides, it was a social place to be, a plaza for the unicorns of the herd, and Sin figured it was the first place to seek out a craftsman of his own. He wanted to wear this pretty, striking thing; he suspected that, through the frosted lens of this strange obsidian rock, the world would appear in a different light—an observable light, an interesting and usable light, suitable for science. And if it wasn’t, Sin’s endeavors wouldn’t be in vain; it would be a lesson learned, after all.

Would it not?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMG Credit: ness094@deviantart.com

Crowley Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 12 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Talbot :: Common Hellhound :: Acid & Name? :: Caracal :: None Dingo
for the pain and the sorrow caused by my mistakes
won't repent to a mortal whom is all to blame

Finally, a day of respite; no redundant trips to the Threshold, no missions of intrusions, and no herd meetings of any sort. It was a day that was entirely his, free to do as he pleased so long as luck remained on his side.

For once, Talbot seemed more tuckered than usual, dragging his feet along as they walked, surely exhausted from the previous day of play. It was admittedly difficult to render the hound tired, and so whenever it did happen, the stallion did his best to take advantage of it. Talbot was surely going through sprouts of growth as well, the culprit to his numerous naps taken throughout the day. Tired as he was, the pup had stayed curled up in the back of his and Crowley's small nook of a cave, unwilling to move and follow after the horned. So Crowley had left, certain that Talbot would be fine during his short absence.

His sights were set on the hot springs. The warmth of the steaming water would surely feel wonderous upon weary, exhausted bones that had grown all too used to the frigid cold that came with living in the Aurora Basin. He'd never felt drawn to them until now, and briefly, he wondered if there was a reason beyond what he could comprehend. Dismissing the thought, the stallion continued his brisk trot until he had made it to the edge of the balmy waters.

However, the pleasant thoughts of being alone for his soak were destroyed when his golden gaze caught the sight of a distantly familiar face. He stood silent for a moment, doing his best to conjure the name of the dappled stallion. He'd only met him face to face once, when he had stumbled across the lad in the middle of a most curious conquest; climbing a tree.

"Ah, Sin," he recalled at last, dipping his head in a respectful manner towards the disciple, "It has been a while. What brings you to the springs on this day?"

"blather blather blather"

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

Sin saw his quarry and waited patiently as the brindle stud gathered his bearings, his gaze composed and cordial as icy eyes watched the movements of the Crafter. Sin remembered Crowley rather well—the dappled boy’s capacity for recollection was well refined. The face swam before his gaze, a faint memory coming to the fore; a couple of seasons ago, when even the Basin’s inner walls were somewhat frost-bitten and the Steppe beyond was coated in that icy beard of hoarfrost, Sin had found himself enamored with the ideas and contemplations concerning the heights of a tree. With a small smile, Sin remembered how desperately he had wanted to climb those unfathomable boughs—and how, in the midst of his endeavors for discovery, this very stallion had stumbled upon Sin in the process of his feat. It wasn’t until just recently, when Crowley had been bestowed the honor of being the Basin’s Weaver, that Sin had laid eyes upon the brindled back again; and it was now, on this lazy day in the haze of the hot springs, that Sin needed use of that particular gift.

*“Ah, Sin…It has been a while. What brings you to the springs on this day?"

Sin kept his tiny grin as he watched the stud dip his head in greeting; Sin mirrored the action with a graceful inclination of the curved horn, setting the obsidian stone upon the ground so that he may speak freely. “Crowely, sir,” Sin said graciously, “It certainly has been sometime. I do apologize for disturbing your day of leisure, but I have a request to make of you.”

With the tip of his hoof, Sin prodded the piece of obsidian gently so that he wouldn’t scuff the glossy finish; he toed it towards the brindle’s line of sight. “I ask that you fashion a harness for this piece of earth-glass, so that it may rest upon my left eye as an ocular device. I think of it as an experiment of sorts, to observe how the world appears from behind the lens of natural substances. As you can see, however, I cannot possibly use it in its current incarnation. This is where I require the use of your talents.” Sin watched Crowely with eager anticipation plain on his face, ever open and transparent in his passions. He had nothing to hide, and truly, nothing to be shameful about. Well, perhaps there was shame somewhere in his life right now—though it was surely not invoked by the shiny piece of earthen glass at his cloven feet, or the brindled, yellow-eyed brute that stood before him whose day he might very well be ruining.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMG Credit: ness094@deviantart.com

Crowley Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 12 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Talbot :: Common Hellhound :: Acid & Name? :: Caracal :: None Dingo

The smallest of grins tugged at the corner of the stud's lips as he watched Sin. He was a respectable one, somehow always remembering his manners in spite of his strange ways. A part of Crowley wished to learn more of the dappled disciple some day, although not while the latter was strung in the boughs of a tree. Though younger than himself, he was certain that he could hold many a great conversations with the grey.

"You need not apologize," the brindle reassured as he shifted his weight, cocking an ear forward with interest as Sin went on. He had yet to put his crafting abilities to use, and if that was what Sin had meant by a request, then he was already more than eager to accept. Turning his attention to the ground, Crowley looked upon the shining piece of obsidian, and resisted the urge to cock his head and stare when Sin explained just what he wanted.

For a moment, Crowley kept his eyes upon the curious shard of glass, wondering briefly just how he could help the crazed stud. Whatever he crafted would need to be strong enough to not only hold the glass to Sin's face, but durable enough to resist sliding around with each little step. Finally, letting out a soft breath, Crowly rose his head again and directed his gaze to Sin. He wanted to ask if he was crazy, what demons had inspired him to try such a thing, but Crowley found that he simply couldn't.

"I will help you," he began at last, taking note of the eager expression already plastered upon the grey's face, "But you must assist me in finding the appropriate supplies. I will requre some wool to get it started; I've seen some rams up near the Arch, so you might have some luck there." His words were followed by a chuckle, but it was quick to wane as he finished his instructions. "Also, if you could... Bring me back a bone from said sheep, and you shall receive your harness."

I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith