the Rift

But for the Grace of God [Birthing Thread, Open!]

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

She was free.

No longer was she under Ophelia’s care and supervision, and cloaked in the shadows of the Deep Forest. No longer did she have to bite her tongue and curb her urges, desperately wanting to lash out to try and escape, to try and return home to the Foothills where they needed her now more than ever… Yet even if she had been free, she’d be useless. The Haflinger mare was burdened by her unborn son or daughter, and so there was no physical way that she would be able to help defend her home against the inevitable invasion. It was because of that, that this freedom was a bitter one.

Her herdmates would soon be locked in a battle to keep their home, to fight for their right to live on the beloved soil granted to them by their sovereign, the Earth God. It was a fight that the warrior detested sitting out, but alas…There was nothing that she could do. She could only pray that no matter the outcome, her brothers and sisters would remain safe.

In the end, Romani had left the Deep Forest with Xanthos and his companion. Gods, Xanthos had received a Companion! The thought of it caused a warm swell to blossom in the mare’s bosom, for Xanthos deserved no less than a constant source of love and adoration. When she wouldn’t be there, this cheetah cub, Azel, would be. Upon first spotting the cheetah, little Kasai had been curious and apprehensive, the furry, monochromatic stripes upon her tail puffing out in confusion and apprehension. The tigress didn’t know what to make of this newcomer; she knew Xanthos, yes, but just who was this creature that strutted around behind the grullo, pace clumsy and ungainly and emitting the strangest of chirps… Leaving the Forest, Kasai had gotten over her fear of Azel, and soon took to following the younger feline around nearly everywhere. It was a cute site.

The journey from the Deep Forest to the Edge was a long and slow one, filled with loving conversation and not-so-secretly exchanged gazes. Romani had been terrified that she would succumb to childbirth while in custody of the Grey, and during her time there in the thicket of trees, her sides had swelled to a remarkable size. This made the journey considerably difficult for the pregnant mare, and oftentimes she would suck up her pride and ask Xanthos to stop and rest.

It took longer than usual, but they had eventually made it to the Edge in the evening light, just before sunset. This was the place that she very well could start calling ‘home’, should her brothers-in-arms fail to keep the Foothills for themselves. The thick trees that marred the Edge provided a considerable amount of cool shade to bask in after their long trek, and Romani enjoyed escaping from the harsh rays of the sun and the heat that naturally came with Tallsun. Situated in a small grove with Kasai, Xanthos, and Azel, Romani could finally allow herself to rest.

And yet rest would have to wait.

Only a handful of hours had passed since arriving in the World’s Edge when deep contractions suddenly plagued the Haflinger mare, and even though she had never bore children before, instinct drove her to act. Thick legs buckled at the knees, easing her decent ground. Azure eyes were wide with pain, nostrils flaring, and frantically she looked to Xanthos. “Xan,” she pleaded, a deep groan of pain escaping the bowls of her expanded girth after the grullo’s name had left her lips, “Xan… I think it’s time.”

Where some mares wanted to be alone during labor, Romani wanted nothing but for Xanthos to remain at her side. This was their child, a product of the love and reverence that they felt for each other, and in so, there was no reason that he should be a stranger during such an important time. Each push and shudder wracked her form with agony, sweat gathering on her golden-red pelt, and occasionally the mare would kick her legs out at nothing, simply trying to do something to alleviate the pain. It was a long, terrible, and grueling process…

Push, breathe… Push, breathe… Don’t forget to breathe.

Through it all, she endured. Kasai remained a respectable distance away, worry and fear flooding through the internal bond that the two shared. Romani was far too stricken with pain to try and console the tigress, and that did nothing to alleviate Kasai’s distress. In turn, the monochromatic feline turned her attention on Azel, in hopes to lose her worry in play.

After what felt like hours, the task was complete. Romani lay spent and heaving on the soft grasses of the Edge, but it still wasn’t time for rest. Shifting and pulling her legs close to her body, the mare turned her eyes towards the bundle of precious gold that lay at her side. She stared for a moment, breathless at the pure beauty. She and Xanthos had created this magnificent creature, this filly that would forever be theirs… A deep, maternal love swelled in her chest, and Romani found herself blinking back tears as she stretched her muzzle out to the filly, sniffing in her scent. It would forever be ingrained in her skull, forever remembered as their precious daughter.

“Xanthos,” Romani said with a choked whisper, looking up at the grullo stallion with love, and one-hundred other emotions shining in her ocean depths, “She’s beautiful. Simply divine… Oh, look at her, my love.” A golden pelt adorned their filly, with creamy, muddled markings adorning her legs.. A stripe of cream caressed her back, mane and tail the same color of alabaster…. All in all, she was absolutely beautiful. “What should we call her, my love?”

[ooc: This thread is LONG overdue. :3 … Not to mention also long in length. XD Sorry, all, I just had a lot to cover and ramble about. Open to all, but I would like for Xanthos and Jasiri to reply first, please. Then everyone else is free to join in!]

The true Soldier fights not because
He hates what is in front of him,
But because he loves what is behind him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Jasiri Posts: 12
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.3 :: 2 Years
Adoptable

J A S I R I
the little queen thinks she can do anything, be anything

Dearest Romani, Xanthos, Azel, and Kasai;

Today is a glorious day for my birthday, and as with every birthday, I enjoy recalling the moments of birth. They say childbirth is a sweet affair, bringing youth into this world often cold- a moment of brilliance in the shadows. I, personally, find it almost painful to simply watch. It isn't glorious, it isn't pretty- it is bloody, messy, and breaks one's skin to a cold sweat. I shudder at the thought of one day bearing a foal, regardless how much I may love the offspring when he or she comes from the womb to rest on the green grass, with the pain that signals it. Sometimes I wonder as to why, pray tell, the gods have decided us horses must lie upon our flanks to do so, when we are so susceptible to predators-- before I realize the gods will not answer this question anyways. Speaking of which, I wonder what the imperial goddess of darkness and night thought when she lied upon her ebony flank... hmm. Alas! My thoughts wander, dearest family.

I recall the moments with a shiver. Expulsion. Young as I was, I had no words to think by or images to go by. Yet now, looking back, I felt as if I had been tossed mercilessly from a warm womb into the freezing world, the skies bleeding yellow and rose at my deliverance. As small a bundle of golden fuzz I was, I had little concept of time- I was driven solely by the instinctive urge to stand, to rise up from the ground. How grand I thought you were! You great, looming, behemoths! Ballet dancers on your long legs- and Xanthos was a strange creature with a stick on his brow.

Ah, I would've thought if the words were in existence. What bizarre creatures I've been born to! But in the way foals have, I was drawn inexplicably to you, Mother- as if sensing a kind spirit. Little did I know that later, I could truly be taken to wherever I desired should I focus it within my mind. A very, very useful skill. How strange, I thought, staring through blue eyes painted with white markings. The world was filled with rustlings and chirpings, terrifying sounds. Instantly the urge to stand shot through my wobbly, freaking long legs again, and obeying them, I collected myself with a wag of my leonine tail, like the gray shadow's. I tried very hard to stand, but I fell down with a quiet, muffled thump.

I laugh to recall these sweet memories of foalhood, and perhaps later I will write more of these silly first moments.

With love, Jasiri

[I tried a new style- forgive me if it's a little rough around the edges!]

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

Words could not express how happy Xanthos had been upon Romani's release. His very soul seemed to have brightened as he slipped further into the depths of the forest, not halting in his pace until his eyes were upon the familiar hide of gold. Her barrel had swelled a great deal since she'd been taken away, and honestly, the grullo wasn't entirely sure if she would make it all the way back to the Edge.

It had been difficult for him to come to terms that their daughter would not be born into the rolling lands of the Foothills, but he was certain that the fact tore Romani into shreds even more. The Foothills had been her home since her arrival, and she was fiercly loyal to the land. However, considering the circumstances, she would be unable to assist in fighting for the land she had come to love and cherish.

The journey seemed to take forever, for Romani was unable to speed off into a gallop, and had requested several breaks during their trek. Xanthos would always accept, of course, worried that too much stress might harm their unborn child. He would do his best to comfort the mare, pressing his muzzle into the thick of Romani's neck, patiently waiting until she was ready to move on again. With the sun at their backs, it's rays unforgiving, Xanthos could only hope that they would arrive in the Edge soon.

It wouldn't be long until the child, be it colt or filly, was born, and the anxiety of becoming a first time parent was finally starting to overwhelm the stallion. Would he be a good father? Would he be able to teach the child right from wrong? What would he do if they didn't listen to him?

When they finally arrived to his own herd land, Xanthos breathed a heavy sigh, relief flooding through his every fiber. Their child would be born within the safety of the World's Edge, where she would be protected until she was old enough to handle life on her own. Xanthos wouldn't like when that day finally came, but hopefully, it would be years from now.

Xanthos was stuck to Romani's bloated side like a magnet, speaking soft words of comfort to her even as they simply stood. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that the seed of their love would be birthed tonight, and only hours later was he proved to be correct. The palomino lowered herself to the ground with eyes wide, proclaiming that it was time. Although stricken with worry and dread that something awful could go wrong, the grullo did his best to remain strong, dropping his head to lip gently at the mare's flaxen tassels. Oh, how he loathed seeing her in such a state of pain, unable to do anything but watch and give her words of comfort and encouragement.

It a matter of minutes, it was all over, and Romani's kicking stopped as only her sides heaved for breath. Lifting his head, the grullo's golden eyes found the small bodice of their child, a filly, laying with long legs folded beneath her body. Her pelt was a rich copper color, with markings similar to his own, only they were cream in hue. She was a gorgeous thing to behold, despite her currently damp, gangly appearance. One day she would be a beautiful mare, and Xanthos was certain that he would be busy warding off hoards of bachelor colts.

"She is," Xanthos agreed, pride welling in his golden eyes as he met the palomino's gaze, "Just as her mother is." When the question of naming the filly arose, the grullo's expression turned thoughtful, and he found himself stepping closer to the bundle of gold, dropping his nose to the child to take her scent in. He turned his head somewhat and lipped at the fuzz of her mane, his actions tender and loving. "I like Jasiri," he spoke up at last, sending his gaze to the Haflinger, "It means adventurous and brave; which I know she will be."

Having been watching from a distance, Azel finally sensed that the worrying was over, and that there were no longer two horses amongst them, but three. With a curios tilt of his head, the cheetah cub stood and came bounding over to the group, but not before sending an inviting look to his newest friend, Kasai. He approached the newborn with all the curiosity of the world, but kept a safe distance from her, still uncertain of the new addition. In the end, he let loose a chirp, as if awaiting an answer from the filly. Perhaps she would get up from the ground and play with him and Kasai?

talk talk talk

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark

Laila Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

"One Day, I Shall Live By the Code of Honor."

A child’s eyes are unclouded lenses to the world; they’re free of all the deception and wishful ideals of an adult mind, free of all the clutter that obscures the sight of the sweet, sweet world that lay before mortals. All is true in a child’s eye; all is right. Everything appears exactly as it should in the young eye—and if it appeared confusing and scary, it probably was confusing and arbitrary in its existence, and quite fearful in its visage, cloaked in sheep’s wool it might be. Such is the gift of childhood, and heartbreaking it is when that bittersweet burst of the bubble wakes one into the life of age and responsibility. The silver lining of such a tragedy is that the wonder of the sunlit days of a child are never truly gone; they cling on, beautiful in retrospect and comforting to the soul.

Laila had been wandering around on this fine Tallsun’s day, exploring and frolicking within the warm, summer air with her brother—playing games and flailing their hooves to and fro in mock battles, battles filled with tiny warcries and the consternation of focused children in their make-believe conquests. As the sun began its decent into the sky, warm and golden in its shining face, a tiny voice inside Laila’s head began to croon to her, a gentle, serene voice that spoke in chocolate-whispers: When the sun’s getting low, it’s time for you to come to sleep. Laila obeyed that lyrical voice no matter what, and so she stumbled in the golden grass, the salty air whipping her shock of a main as she made her way to the sleeping spot. Now, however, Laila took a different route; it was becoming a habit of hers, seeking out different paths within the herd land that took her to the same destination. She would make it to the sleeping spot, surely, and back to the side of her snowy, beloved brother. But she wanted to see different flowers, different rocks, different trees and ferns—perhaps, if she was lucky enough, Laila might even spot a different piece of the sky.

Yet…something drew her further and further from the path she intended to take. Some twinge in her chest, painful and sweet at the same time, pulled and beckoned her limbs toward a secluded grove—a place Laila hadn’t been before. Her eyes were pools of ocher curiosity as she beheld the place; voices could be heard there, tender and rejoicing in their muffled words. What was going on over there? The twinge in her breast began to throb, and Laila knew she must sate her appetite for discovery. She must see what was going on…Her motor skills still hadn’t improved since she was brought to the world; Laila still threw her hooves haphazardly in the air and onto the ground, moving herself with a most ungraceful lurch in her steps. Yet, somehow, Laila found a way to muffle her footfalls, a trick learned after her games with Luken; she snuck upon the grove, trying not to be discovered, lest it was a forbidden place she was attempting to defile. A soft black muzzle pressed itself into the bushes, pushing her tiny head through as Laila peeked curiously into the assembly.

What she saw…was definitely unusual.

The sight was indescribable; two of the taller beings, the adults of the herd, stood and gazed at each other with such obvious affection it made Laila’s throat clench, though she had no idea what she was looking at. Between the two stood a delicate blossom; a drop of gold against the backdrop of the grasses and shrubs. The sight struck a chord within Laila; something deep within resonated with the way the creature’s legs wobbled, how its azure eyes stared on with determination and that insatiable aptitude for discovery. Such was the depth of Laila’s emotion that she was pulled forward, softly rustling the bushes as her tiny hooves took tentative steps toward the new family. This feeling Laila had was empathy, though she didn’t know it, and it inspired subconscious memories of a warm summer’s day with the sun settled low, where she witnessed towering legs of ebony and ivory for the first time and she discovered that the white mass that kept her warm was named Luken….

A child’s eyes are unclouded lenses to the world—and Laila decided what she saw was beautiful. This sunset will never leave her.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

It seemed that the season for birthing was upon them. The winds hummed with the excitement of new life, dragonsong was thick in the air as hoardes of wild dragon eggs hatched, with mothers viciously protecting them against all that might threaten the existence of their hatchlings. TallSun provided the perfect settings for such births, the newborn lizards thrived in the natural warmth provided by the extended sunlight hours, growing strong enough by the time the seasons turned to colder, harsher conditions, they could survive. Akaith did not keep a brood of her own this year, she had not risen to mate, to be chased by Helovia's fittest and bravest male dragons.

But many others within the homeland of hers had chosen to breed this year, to present the lands with the products of their love, to bring forth fresh life in the Edge, to bring a promise of the ongoing future the herd would have. It pleased Mirage immensely, to see the youth thriving, to see them grow and become their own souls, to find their own places in this world. She hoped to be able to offer them guidance when they required it, protection when they needed it, and opportunity to reach their full potential.

Births within her lands were welcome, for she stalked the lands with her cloak draped across her slender shoulders, slipping between the trees and shadows with ease, the delicate golden dragon dancing upon the breeze alongside her, a fleck of sunlight in the dappled rays that broke through the canopy above. She arrived here today, striding happily towards the new mother and father, dipping her crown to them graciously, allowing the pleasantness of this new life to swallow up the otherwise tense thoughts that tried to pull her attention down dark corridors of complicated friendships, alliances, and wars. She would not sully the birth of this filly with such circumstances.

Instead, she proffered a smile to each of them, a low song from her throat, while Akaith gave her own from above, the gold could not help but celebrate with jubilance the arrival of new young ones. "Welcome." She spoke warmly to the youth, tilting her tiara low so that her golden eyes held the new filly's own gaze. "And to you." It was a wistful expression that crossed her façade as she viewed Romani, knowing without speaking the circumstances upon which she had come to give birth here. Mirage had sanctioned their love before, and that did not change now - especially now.

She maintained a respectful distance, happy to offer her support, but not wanting to intrude upon such an intimate affair. With amusement, she watched over the other equine filly who had arrived too, pleased to see what would hopefully be a friendship much like that which mirage held with her siblings being forged.

larfsalot.deviantart.com

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

Romani couldn’t help but chuckle at Xan’s flattering words. They were past the point of courting; their love was here, before them, in the form of a beautiful new filly… There was no need for flattery now to woo her heart, not when the handsome grullo stallion already had it. Then, her thoughts turned to the name that he had provided, ears twitching slightly as her eyes turned from the golden orbs o her lover, and instead locked on the frail, dainty form of their newborn daughter.

… Jasiri. Yes, that would work perfectly. A smile pulled at the mare’s lips, broad and full of loving adoration for her new family, and she nodded slightly. Extending her neck so that she could lip at the filly’s tuft of a forelock, the Haflinger spoke.

“Our little Jasiri… Welcome to the world.” It was the perfect name for their daughter. Looking at Jasiri, taking in her every aspect, Romani knew that the golden princess stood for a lot more than simply their love. She was their struggle personified. So much had tried tearing she and Xanthos apart; the Plague, the Gods, her loss of memories, the Grey… So much, and yet they had prevailed. Now, nestled between them and forever loved, was the product of that love and determination. She simply couldn’t get over it.

With that same, loving smile upon her lips, the ex-Foothills mare watched with soft, azure eyes as Jasiri pushed herself to attempt to stand, a determined little scowl marring against her muzzle. Another chortle left the bulky mare’s lips, for truly, their daughter was adorable. The sheer will of determination that crossed her face was one that she had probably made a thousand of times before.

Romani’s head snapped to attention when she realized that they weren’t alone, movements slightly lethargic due to the exhaustion that came from childbirth. What she saw surprised her. A young filly, no more than two months of age, had graced them with her presence. She was a cute thing, almost entirely black save a few white markings, and she looked at them with a profound since of understanding for the situation. It was like she knew, those brown eyes staring at them with such intensity that seemed far too old for her years… Romani offered the ebony filly a gentle smile, to let her know it was alright if she approached. Perhaps seeing this filly standing would cause Jasiri to fight to get to her feet? Perhaps, even, they could be friends…?

Another joined them, and Romani held the golden gaze of the leader of the Edge for a few moments, trying to chose what words she could possibly say. The Haflinger knew that she was welcome in the Edge, the Weyrleader had said so herself when they had first met, but… Would she be welcomed into the herd, to join the ranks of the World’s Edge? With the Grey attacking the Foothills, and should they succeed, then there wasn’t any way she could return to her homeland… Was there?

“Lady Mirage,” Romani greeted softly, exhaustion clear in her wavering voice, “You’re welcome to come closer, if you so wish.” The palomino’s azure eyes shifted to the ebony filly and nodded towards her, as well. “And so are you, little one… Don’t be shy.” Looking back to Mirage, Romani’s previously joyous expression turned somewhat uncertain.

“Mirage… I ask a huge favor of you. As I’m sure you know, the Foothills is being overtaken by the Grey. I was recently freed from their imprisonment by Xanthos,” here, she glanced gratefully at her mate, pure love for him shining in the depths of her eyes, “I feel as though now, I have no place there… So I ask to join you and your family on the Edge. I offer my services of Warrior to your ranks, if you should let me and accept me. And, of course, Jasiri here.”

[ooc: Sorry for the wait, guys! <3]

The true Soldier fights not because
He hates what is in front of him,
But because he loves what is behind him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Jasiri Posts: 12
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.3 :: 2 Years
Adoptable

J A S I R I
the little queen thinks she can do anything, be anything

Dearest Romani, Xanthos, Azel and Kasai

"Mmh." I puffed that day, stick-like legs drawing in under me. Again I fell, legs folding gracefully, but landing with an un-ladylike thump. It wasn't fair that I didn't get to stand! Ma did, and Pa; but not me! I focused strictly on my gangly legs, grunting slightly as I tried to heave myself up, wobbling on my stilts; and I fell over with another grunt. Still I tried, hind legs going up first in a silly maneuver, rump wiggling, tail flicking back and forth, back and forth- and my forelegs straightened. This time, I squealed in joy and surprise as I balanced precariously- stumbling closer to ma.

I turned my head, nostrils twitching, and my eyes widened in surprise as I saw another like me, but even taller and fluffier. How strange, I thought to myself, stumbling a little closer. Yet as I began to turn, my legs gave out again, sending me flying onto my little fuzzy chin. I snorted, terribly annoyed about my legs- how dare they give out on me- and tried to get up again, rump wiggling and long, lanky legs forming up firmly below. This time, instead of trying to go towards the black filly, I turned, making my rambling, clumsy way to ma, seeking out the warm milk that I instinctively knew would come.

When I finished my nursing, I turn again, legs growing stronger by the minute. This time, I make my ragged way towards da, at the last moment nearly falling at his feet. I squeal a furious challenge, staring down at my hooves, and lean against the silver body, squinting at the black mare who had appeared. Who was she? Not ma and not da. "Muh," I declare, and to this day I cannot recall exactly what I meant by that.

Love,
Jasiri