the Rift

Come Over [Phaedra]

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

I Don’t Think That I Can Take This Bed Getting Any Colder

They would be leaving soon. The Grey, his family, would soon be leaving the home that they had created for themselves in the Deep Forest to try and fight for a new place to call home, somewhere that could readily sustain their growing numbers. If they didn’t fight for a new home, Gods only knew the problems that could arise for their make-shift family. The thought of going somewhere and invading seemed so brutal, so atrocious and cruel… And yet it was something that had to be done.

There was another thing that had to be done before leaving the forest, however, and as Apollo wove through the thick, familiar trees, he kept his gaze open for the familiar form of Phaedra. He needed to speak to her, alone, and without prying ears… Hopefully she would be willing to listen.

They hadn’t yet properly spoken since their ordeal upon the beach, with the wolves and the sea monster. He felt like he had seen so little of the Pegasus mare that had captivated him, and if there was one thing that he wanted to do before departing for war, it was to see her. Phaedra. The beauty who was cursed with unsightly looks for… Well, Apollo wasn’t sure how long exactly Phaedra had been cursed. He didn’t understand anything about why she looked like she did, except that she had, indeed, been cursed. Regardless of her new looks, he wasn’t deterred; Apollo knew the true beauty that resided within Phaedra’s current, warped form.

It took awhile of searching before his eyes finally spotted the familiar –yet painfully not- form of Phaedra, and hesitantly he approached. Their distance and lack of communication had left the unicorn strangely unsure of himself and their relationship. Oftentimes he would recall the kiss that they had shared while in the depths of the ocean, grief-stricken that they would soon die… And yet, they both lived. Were they still friends? Did Phaedra still like him…?

“Phae?” He beckoned, ears swiveling forward and neck bending so that his head was low, almost submissive, “Um… Can we talk? At least for a little while?” Apollo stopped a few paces away from the Pegasus and shuffled his front hooves like an reprimanded child, waiting anxiously for her answer. Would she want to talk to him? It had felt like so long since he had simply spent time with her, or laughed with her… And oh, how he missed her laugh.

[ooc: Set before the Grey leaves for the Invasion.]

We Don't Have to Miss Each Other
We Don't Have to Fix Each Other
We Don't Have to Say Forever
You Don’t Have To Stay Forever
Come Over

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud

The Cursed One</style>

Drop past the color; come up through the summer rain.</style>

She knew that he was coming - Stella made sure of that. The little bird did not understand why the normally flirtatious outgoing mare, was suddenly hiding in the shadows, but if that was what she wanted, Stella would aid her. Phae's mind suddenly received an image of the black and white paint moving through the trees, as seen from Stella's vantage point in some tall bough somewhere. Should she run? Where would she even go..? The girls were with Auntie Lokota today, so it wasn't as though she could even use them as an excuse. She had called upon Apollo and Rafe to help her capture Willow - that was unavoidable, for she couldn't subdue the lignea herself. Yet she cringed at the thought of sweet Apollo seeing her like this...

At the sound of his call, Phae's emaciated form swung his way; her boney shoulders portruding gruesomely from beneath her dull coat. Her sunken sea-green gaze cast upon him lightly, as a gentle sigh escaped her lips. My sweet Apollo she thought with an adoring smile. She really did adore him - from their first encounter when she had taken him in from the Threshold, to their meetings in the Woods with the rest of their Grey-Family, their while mushroom-trip, to their nearly life-threatening rendezvous on the beach...He was so charming, in his simple way, and provided his friendship without appearing to expect anything more...although she knew he must secretly want it. But it was so genuine and patient, especially compared to stallions such as Levi, who practically claimed her as his own.

As he called her to him, she could feel an odd sensation within her concave chest: apprehension? She knew the Grey were going into battle, and given her condition, her prisoner, and the twins, she was in no condition to fight. While she was sure that the unicorn would be alright, a part of her wished that he would just stay in the forest, and help her hold down the fort. Of course she wouldn't say such things aloud, but they built up in her chest like a physical weight nonetheless. Moving a step closer to him, she tilted her head softly, rather than tossing it to the side, for she no longer had a mane to cascade about her shoulders. "Of course sugar. " She mumbled, still getting the hang of speaking with only a few teeth. "Anything for you, darlin'"

Won't you sing to me your poetry,
Won't you take me to your home,
Won't you be for me forever
So I'll never be alone

HP: 45.5

For awhile he simply stood in place, stationary like the trees that surrounded them. His warm eyes lingered on Phaedra’s emaciated and brittle form, sadness and sympathy floating upwards from his gut and causing his heart to clench painfully in his chest. Apollo hated seeing her like this; reclusive, shamed, uncertain… It was as if he knew two different mares. One was beautiful and outgoing, flirtatious and filled with a confidence that Apollo himself could only dream of having… And then there was this version of her, this unsure, fearful side. Yet where others may have backed away from Phaedra’s hairless, featherless form, Apollo did not.

He found that if anything, he simply wanted to protect her from the cruelty that others might throw her way. Whether or now Phaedra would appreciate such actions, for she was definitely a creature who could take care of herself, well… Apollo wouldn’t know. The last thing that he wanted to do was accidently have Phaedra think that he believed she couldn’t take care of herself, for that wasn’t the case at all.

Allowing an uneasy, yet gentle smile to tug at his dark lips, the stallion finally spoke. His voice was soft, a gentle caress much like the soft breeze that occasionally filtered through the forest around them. “Phae,” he said, allowing his gaze to drop for a few moments before looking almost fearfully back up to her, gazing into the depths of her sunken eyes, “I, um…” Oh, Gods, of all the times for his words to fail, now was it?! He was going to be leaving shortly with Ktulu, Ophelia, and the others of the Grey to try and take the Foothills so that they would have a true place to call home. There would be war, and possibly death… How could he not say what he needed to say?

Giving a small grunt of frustration at his own lack of communication –or was it cowardice?- the painted stallion opened his mouth, hesitated yet once again, and then finally started talking. The words poured from his mouth freely, like the drops of a fresh spring rain, and even if he wanted to try and stop himself, Apollo found that he no longer had control of his vocals.

“Phaedra, I… I’m going to be leaving soon, to go with the Grey to try and take the Foothills. I’m afraid, you know?” He paused, a somewhat fearful laugh escaping his throat. “I’m no soldier; I never have been, but I think the one thing that scares me more than dying is that… That I’ll never get to see you again. That this will be the last time that I can see you; the last time we can actually talk.” His soft, warm, honey-brown gaze lingered upon her face, absorbing every marred detail. Even if she was different, changed due to her curse, Apollo would remember every last detail of the mare who had given him purpose, family, and had stolen his heart.

“There’s something that I’ve been wanting to tell you, but I just haven’t because I’ve been afraid…” What was it about life and death situations that drew this out between them? His front hooves once more began to shuffle, nostrils flaring slightly in his growing nervousness. His words became soft, stuttering syllables that were leaving his trembling lips. “Phaedra… In case that, well… In case I don’t come back, or we don’t see each other again, I j-just wanted to tell you that, that… That I l-love you, Phaedra. I really do.”

Come Over

Deceased

The Cursed One</style>

Phae was fairly bitter about not being able to fight in the Invasion. On the one hand, it didn't surprise her at all how quickly things had progressed from just a simple idea in the Woods, to a full on unified plan. They were a mercenary group after all, used to working quickly and efficiently; why should this invasion be any different? And yet...yet had she known, she would have put more time into training her body, rather than her skills as a spy. She'd only fought one spar, but couldn't she have learned? Tolio, for all of his romanticism and charm was still a warrior. He could have taught her but instead he just....Sighing, Phae realized she couldn't blame him for what had happened between them. He was gay after all, their night in the Grove probably wasn't what he had intended when they met their at all. But now here she was, cursed and a new mother - it was obvious that she would be of no use to them during the battle and yet...yet it still made her feel fairly useless.

As he mentioned that it might be the last time they spoke, Phae's mind was dragged with a bittersweet pull back to their moments on the beach. How everything had started out so innocently - how their games had led them into the water, and how the thought of dying had brought them closer together. Although Phae wasn't feeling the darkness of impending doom upon her shoulders this time around, she could tell that Apollo was. Nevertheless, she felt that same desire to comfort and be near him. For a few blissful seconds, she completely forgot about the curse - for he looked at her so sweetly that she couldn't imagine that he saw her deformed and wrinkled features. But that realization snapped her back to her cold, frail reality, and suddenly she wished to be far, far away from the black and white unicorn...at least until she was herself again.

Yet it appeared there was more for him to say, and Phae would not let him go into battle with a heavy heart. As he confessed the love for her that she had always guessed was budding in his breast, she couldn't help but smile, and shake her pink muzzle. "Oh Apollo....My sweet Apollo.." she began. She took a step towards him, unsure of how she would come across, given that this body did not portray her in the was she was used to. Her eyes did not sparkle the way they once did, but she hoped that he could still see the adoration for him, within them. Rather than gently touching his muzzle, as she had done in the ocean, she brushed past, and layed her forehead directly against his chest. Unicorn's can't do this... She thought with a small smirk, as she burried her face against him. Reaching up with her scraggly and graying wings, she attempted to reach them around his shoulders. Unicorns can't hug either.

"Promise me you'll come back..." She whispered into his warm body with a heavy sigh, as tears formed in the corners of her eyes. "Promise... Her voice was so soft, and raw with emotion as the words fell upon his patterned coat. She couldn't bear to lose Apollo, even if she wasn't sure how she felt about him. He had to come back....Had to give her a chance to find out if she could love him too.

So I'll never be alone

As soon as the words had escaped his lips, Apollo’s nervous gaze fell, almost afraid to see the changes that would surely occur in Phaedra’s expression. He had just exposed everything to her, all of his truths and feelings, hopes and dreams… Did he hope that one day, Phaedra would love him in return? Yes, yes he did, with every fiber of his being. Yet, no matter how much he wanted it, Apollo would never force Phaedra to do anything that she didn’t want to do, and that included being with him. If she found someone who stole her heart completely and utterly, and caused her eternal happiness, then the black and white overo would smile and be happy for her. For to him, that was all that mattered.

How it had happened? Apollo wasn’t sure. When he had first come into Helovia and had been graced by Phaedra’s beauty, he had been stunned and captivated from the beginning… And yet, it had morphed from simple curiosity to true, heart-felt admiration and adoration. He loved her like he had never loved anything else in the world, and finally… She knew. She knew… It was like a weight lifted off of his shoulders, but was immediately replaced with the fear of how the cursed Pegasus would react. Would she condemn him for his affection? No, of course not… Phaedra would never do something like that, even if she didn’t feel the same.

Heaving in a trembling breath, Apollo hesitantly lifted his gaze, resting his soft, almost sad eyes upon Phaedra’s sunken face. She took a step towards him, an expression upon her face that the unicorn simply couldn’t place. He gazed into her eyes, and even though he noticed the lack of shine and spark due to her horrible curse, there was no way that he could miss the pure adoration that shone in her gaze. It relieved the tension that had steadily been building in his chest, and an uncertain smile tugged at the corners of his dark lips.

In the next few moments, he had a chest full of Phaedra, the Pegasus pushing her forehead into the soft muscles of his chest. The stallion lowered his head, letting out a soft breath through his nostrils, and pressed his cheek fondly against the sinewy muscles of her neck. He could feel the twitches in the mare before him as she lifted her wings to wrap around him, and unwillingly, the stallion’s eyes fell closed in the comforting embrace. Phaedra may not look the same as she did, cursed as she was, but that didn’t mean that their connection was any different. He loved her, he always would…

“I promise.” The words fell from Apollo’s lips without his knowledge, despite knowing that logistically, there was no way he could fulfill such a promise. War was war; some would come home and some wouldn’t. Yet, right now, wrapped in Phaedra’s loving embrace, he would deny her nothing. “I promise you, Phae, I’ll come back to you.” Pressing his cheek more firmly into her neck, Apollo sucked in her scent, placing it in his mind to remember until the end of his days. It would be Phaedra’s faith in him, and her adoring eyes that would push him on the battlefield, that would be his reason to fight and kill.

“Just please, while I’m away… Take care of yourself, alright? I worry about you, Phae.”

Come Over

Deceased

The Capture</style>

Of course Apollo would be fine. Why wouldn't he? The Grey surely out numbered the foothills, did they not? Besides, the foothills had grown fat and lazy, while the Grey were a group of highly trained and skilled mercenaries. Apollo of course, was no fighter, and with his new healing magic...surely he could at least heal himself should he face any danger? For a moment, it all seemed so positive in her mind; like nothing could possibly go wrong.

Then the illusion fell.

What if the shaky agreement with the Throat, fell through? What if the Qian were to get involved, as one of their members resided in the Foothills? What if Jackal had some trick up his sleeve, and they were ambushed on their way in? All of these thoughts swarmed Phae's mind as she pressed herself closer and closer to Apollo. Yet even as the physical distance between them decreased further, an emotional rift began to form in her mind. Could she love Apollo? Not if he's dead, her mind answered almost at once, trying to shutoff the valve that controlled the well of emotions that she felt for the painted unicorn. He would be another Tolio, all over again, who would only love her, and then leave her.

Wasn't that precisely what Apollo was doing? Confessing his love, and then running into a battle that he couldn't know he would survive?

Her body began to shake slightly, as she fought back tears. She would not send Apollo into battle with a heavy heart. She would not. Biting her lip hard enough until her tears ceased to flow, she took a deep breath, before exhaling softly into his chest. Stepping back, she regarded him with the same adoration that she had before - masking her troubled heart from his kind gaze. Being a spy had taught her that much. Moving her muzzle forward again, she softly pressed it against his, knowing that her cursed and wrinkly skin would not feel as sweet as it had before, in the ocean, yet continuing nonetheless. She breathed in his smell, exhaling her own against him as she softly kissed him. Backing up a few paces, she let her wings fall to her sides. Tossing her head, she laughed her silvery laugh, as she shook her head as if with amusement. "I will if you will, sugar. I'll see you tomorrow." Her words had a certain finality to them, as if making a prophecy, rather than just a goodbye.

Knowing that she would not be able to mask her emotions from him much long, Phae swiftly turned on her haunches, cantering away from the unicorn as fast and nimbly as she could, winding her way through the trees until she was sure she was out of his sight.

So I'll never be alone