the Rift

Your friend, Mr. Sun. (Ktulu, Hototo, Cera, Open!!)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 words words words.</style>

This time of year, the meadow is lovely; its flowers are painted in bright colors of lavender, amber, and indigo. Even a twisted heart inside the chest of a bitter old man would have skipped to behold the pure beauty of earth. A pegaus would take thrill when noticing how spotless the sky was, and perhaps find reason for play; indeed, this aged heart did skip around—but for an entirely different reason. It skipped out of excitement, because magic had begun to awaken, deep magic; rooted from my lord and seeping with earthly intent.

I had found out about this new talent rather suddenly on a normal morning. It had started off averagely enough, I left early with the intent to meditate before starting my daily todos. Once in a trance state of being-- my spiritual touch could not only feel the sand move beneath hooves, but the plates of earth as well. Imagine my blissful surprise?

Of course... small shivers and shakes eventually weren't enough to satisfy a growing hunger; mortal mind grew curious of this ability and began to harbor desires of stretching magical muscles as far as physical self would allow. This power was what I practiced today. Fear hugged my hooves tightly to their positions like favored friend unwilling to let go out of fear that I might fall over from the might of my own energy. Calling upon the quaking spools of power, I pushed against the very plates of earth. The smaller ones moved to my will, shaking and quivering until the whole area around me shook free and threatened to break apart.

A withheld breath released and the tremor stopped just as suddenly as it had began. My head spun a little and I was drenched in sweat, limbs shaking. Wings which were hung limp, now thrust out to cool my burning hide. Again I summoned the beast that was my birthright, and again I couldn’t not hold it for more than a little without nearly falling over from exhaustion. Gasping air hot air after a third attempt, it became frustratingly apparent that I would have to take this a little slower than sand bending.

The art of sand shifting had come easy, almost naturally; I felt like this magic would also mature and grow simpler with time. But it would take time, and patience. Both of which I had little to spare of late. Throwing head toward a high noon sun I sighed dejectedly, wondering why nothing could ever be easy? Limbs shifted to drag body toward a shady spot for thinking on how to master this technique.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

"Hope fades," a voice sings clear and true, much to my own surprise, from my throat as we run. My hooves have gotten larger, my legs stronger, my muscles growing, nearly doubled in size from last month. My girth grew daily, it seemed, and I was afraid my skin might burst as my body rushed forward toward an adult frame each day. The beginning of a new year for me was approaching, approaching swiftly. "Into the world of night." Beside me, Eytan lets out a roar and I giggle, breaking the melody for a moment as we romp onward, legs falling into the earth with youthful haste.

"Through shadows falling out of memory and time."

The grass whipping at my legs, our legs, as we run smoothly through the meadow, flowers brushing my underside and the wind lapping at my wings. There was no time to stop and ponder the world today. I had awoken to a golden sun and lots of energy. I remember being younger and awaking to faulty limbs and wasted days. The youth which rode along in my spirit now, it was not tied to the limits of my physical strength. I am young, I am happy. One day, I will grow strong and somber, but for today I am nothing but a child with his beloved friend. "Don't say we have come now to the end."

"White shores are calling."

The earth which rumbles underneath my feet goes unnoticed in the pace with which Eytan and I move, the blue of the sky the only constant and the shades of green a blur. The wild colors of the beautiful flowers soar by my eyes fleetingly, never registered except for the feeling that I am dancing through waters of rainbow colors. "You and I will meet agai-," my voice cuts off as I look toward my left, seeing a familiar black and white figure in the distance. With a smile, I look toward Eytan who looks up with knowing black eyes. "Midas!" I say to him before changing our pace and racing forward toward the stallion of the Dragon's Throat.

As we got closer, I know for certain this tremor was not natural. I look worriedly forward with dual toned eyes toward the small figure of Midas, my brows knit in worry as Eytan lets out a rumbling call as well. I did not know of my own magic at this time, let alone the magic that Midas held. Still, our pace increases even more, if it were possible, as the two of use race like speeding bullets to the side of our friend who may be in need of our aid. Before we can close the massive expanse of the meadow, Midas already begins to drift toward the edges, and we tuck out necks and run onward, breath being pulled steadily in and out of my lungs.

Sweat begins to form in the creases of my skin, causing discoloration in the brown and blue areas of my coat, but I do not mind. My hooves only begin to slow when we get close to the familiar, winged form, my body settling into a lope as I move up toward him, my breath heavy and my nostrils heaving. I snort out some of the dust that had unknowingly clogged my passageways, looking back up with a joyous smile toward the stallion I have come to view as a father. "Midas," I say, my voice cheery but worried. "You seemed like you were struggling back there... are you alright?"

Mother had never taught me to be subtle.

HOTOTO</style>
THERE ARE DARK SHADOWS ON THE EARTH, BUTS ITS LIGHTS ARE STRONGER IN THE CONTRAST.</style>

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 Like a feather in the wind.</style>

You don’t realize just how much magic can take its toll until one stops casting it. My body was sweaty and feeling the fatigue from tallsun heat; right now I couldn’t think about how to master this new power like I wanted to. Instead all my brain would fantasize about was how the shade would feel once I dragged this carcass was under it.

Truthfully, I was much too young to be feeling this drained. Before any amount of space had been crossed to distant timberline a sound drifted on the wind, teasing my ears into rising from their frustrated flat state. My name and the drumming of flailing hooves. Bowed cranium automatically turns, not expecting to witness a face that had become a blessed sight in troubled times. Hototo had been like a brother to Cera, and a second son to me; always understanding and full of surprises--just like his heavenly father. Eytan trailed behind him, it wasn’t often I saw one without the other.

A welcoming smile creases my face, forcefully I straighten a bent spine from its sluggish stance to appear more tolerable of company. As the lad closes the gap between us I’m struck with realization that he seemed to have taken on a few inches since the last time we talked. Like the patched flyer at home this boy was going to tower over me within the next few months. “Midas,” he calls in simple greeting, my head extends toward him to close the final few feet between. Velvet reaches out to butt against his blue nose fondly. Sunlite eyes turn to the bear, tenors rumbling out a soft nicker, “It’s good to see you both doing so well.” More words whelp in my chest but before they could obtain life he asks a question.

"You seemed like you were struggling back there... are you alright?"

His concern warms me and makes me sigh in the same beat, a General wasn’t supposed to struggle through anything. It wasn’t very becoming of Throats honored child and it wasn’t becoming of a mentor for two nearly grown children either. Disheartened I admit, “New magic has awakened within me, but I seem to lack the strength and endurance to control it for more than a few seconds.” Not really wanting to dwell on the fact that my power was lacking in proportions that I thought it should have, I clear throat and add, “But never mind me; how are you? How is your mother?”

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]