the Rift

Invasion Round One :: Cluster Two

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
You have 72 hours to respond to this round. Before the round is over, HERD LEADS can send cluster change request to the OFFICIAL account.

Further information can be found in the Detailed Rules under the Chaos Style invasion section.

Argetlam
Ophelia
Kri
Aryel
Peixos

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

speak of all the love we lost and what it cost us</style>
left us to beg our breath would stop, but we kept on</style>
AND WE WERE STRONG.</style>

My words fall from my lips and I look to the faces of my warriors. I notice as my eyes drift downward toward the body of Aryel that her face looks upset, almost as if she were balking at my speech and my ears flatten in discontent. "Aryel," I call to the small girl who I had named Sergeant, "if you are not going to fight with heart, return to the Throat. A warrior who fights against their will is worse off than a corpse slung across my shoulders." My words are stern, and I glance forward toward the rising sun, the bodies of the Grey pooling in and calling forth the sound of war. With a smile, I look toward the bloody sun of the early morning.

I toss my head over my shoulder in one fluid motion, my voice calling forward to my warriors even as my legs pound heavily on the branch which groans with my weight, perhaps splintering off to its ultimate demise. "We fly!" I say, my voice calling forward as I rocket out from the trees, the branches and leaves clawing after my form which soars easily on the wind I command, shooting myself forward and any who follow behind me toward the battlefield with excessive speed. The wind whistles in my ears, my eyes narrow in the effort to keep them from drying out, staring forward toward the bodies below.

The throws of war had begun, the tumult of bodies rustling underneath my body as I fly into the scene, my dark eyes scanning for an easy target to attack from above, seeking out someone to collide with by surprise, hopefully doing them more harm than myself. I was not out to gain severe injury for the Grey, not with the threat of an invasion over my own head. I knew it was unavoidable, for in war, no matter who you were fighting against, they would show you no mercy. Regardless of my views on the Foothills prior to this day, they would treat me like a cold blooded murder and I the same to them. For in battle, there is no kindness to be found in any on the other side of the lines. Only the shields of friends are your back would give you rest, but the swords of your enemies are soon behind.

As my blue eyes surf the battlefield like a dark wave, they land upon the body of a dapple grey, his musculature weak. I narrow my eyes more as my velocity is redirected toward him. My first target would be an easy one, and once he was cleanly knocked from the battlefield, I could move on to more pressing targets and the side of my allies. From the looks of his worried and distorted form, this coward was not going to be doing much fighting at all. I aim my hooves toward the left barrel of this stranger, soaring in easily and downward, my wings half-folded to set into an easy glide and make my feathers harder targets for outstretched teeth. My own teeth were bared, reaching out to try and grasp the crest of my new victim as I attempt to slam into him from above.

I would not go easy on this one. If he wanted to save his damned home, he should prove it.
""

[ WC: 583; Magic: 0/4?.
Buffs Kri is using are DANCE and BULK.
Wind magic is passive.

Kri flies out of the trees, uses her wind magic to close the gap to the battlefield. She sees Argetlam, swoops down and tries to "air-ram" his left side with her hooves. She also attempt to bite out at his crest. ]

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>
MY FRIENDS, I'M ONLY FLESH AND BONE, BUT I WON'T LET YOU DIE ALONE.</style>

image by vinothchandar @ flickr.com

Argetlam Posts: 51
Up For Adoption
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 :: 7
Adoptable

Just as Kri thought there was no pity in battle, Argetlam was thinking of mercy. No, he did not consider the horses crazed for blood, ready to knock out each other, even in the thrill of battle some so loved. He, personally, preferred to think of those around him fighting for not the adrenaline surging through veins and hungry to knock out those before them, but what lay behind them. Already the groups have split into what seemed four clusters; each of appearing to be made up of five horses. To his flank was a stallion he did not know. Light gray, with two cream socks, a snip on his nose; and honey eyes, a few shades different than the crafter's softened amber. Mostly, however, Argetlam trusted this stallion because of the dragon- a royal blue. He found himself admiring the glitter and glimpse of deep, sparkling azure.

It was only, however, two against three. One, a silver mare. Argetlam had the vaguest, tendril of thought he might have seen her before- mostly he recognized the shimmer of silver scales fringed with blood crimson, a comparison that made him shiver. Never had he liked the sight, or scent, or anything to do with in fact, of blood. Not the scent of iron; not the gory muscle that often surrounded the deepest of wounds. The second mare- they were only facing mares, how interesting- was blue. Not the deep, fascinating blue of Peixo's dragon, but a shade of silver-gray-blue. She was winged, and seemed worried, maybe; lastly, was a mare spun of warm chocolate and a flaxen mane, stout and compact.

Around him, the wind suddenly came alive, swirling through the leaves and casting them away in a furious torrent, seeming to come from the huge beats of Kri's wings, but he knew it was not just wing power. It was magic, the elusive kind that ebbed and flowed. Argetlam resisted the urge to shiver upon seeing the imperious face, one that he might've liked. In fact, it looked as if he would like all these mares, if not for the fact they were trying to send him out, cast him away- well, maybe not that, but certainly overrun it. They were overrunning it right now, with their overpowering numbers. But numbers didn't mean everything. Horses say a cornered rat will fight, and it was much the same case with Argetlam. No, he would rather not fight, but he would, because he had to.

There was a sudden wrench in his gut because of two things- firstly, their Chief had let them down. He had not come. Not to rally the herd, not to fight. He had abandoned them to whatever outcome. Even though he had one of the fearsome dragons at his side, he had left them, slipped away like a ghost when the ranks upon ranks of what seemed like endless soldiers had appeared on the borders, silhouetted sharply against the rising sun. The second reason was because the mare, the chocolate mare, came flying swiftly towards him, quicker and quicker, absolutely terrifying him.

Then he rallied.

This was a mare trying to steal his home, he reasoned. She deserved what she got. If she were to try and kick him out, he could only do the same to her, even if he would rather not. The tall stallion kept his feet as light as he could, wishing desperately Ailith was at his flank, not a stranger, and then he turned on his haunches, kicking out with his hind legs, aiming towards her face as she attempted to come swooping down, instead facing his hindquarters instead of neck and crest. Carefully he tucked his head down, shifting it to the left and putting his muzzle near the ground as he lashed out, avoiding leaving his head open to any buffets from those powerful wings or flailing hooves. Although flailing was a rather unbalanced word for the mare's grace.

He pivots again, setting himself in front of Peixos, wishing to serve more as a guard than attacker. If he had to, he could go on to defensive, but he would not make the first move.

WC: 695 words
Magic: 0/4 (?)

When Kri comes flying towards his shoulder, he turns on his hind end and kicks upwards. Again he pivots and steps in front of Peixos, in a small attempt to defend him from whatever may come.

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre

Aryel had spaced out as she watched the defendants and aggressors take their positions. Now the two walls lunged forward across the plain in a rolling tide of horseflesh. She suppressed a shudder, hoping this would end quickly and decisively, with no lives lost.

She was startled from her thoughts as Kri rebuked her, and shook her head in an effort to dispel the feeling of dread. "N-no ma'am, I'm fine." Going back to the Throat in disgrace would be bad. Going back to the Throat in disgrace and letting her Commander down would be worse. Kri had trusted her with the rank of Sergeant, and the little blue mare was determined to uphold her trust. As Kri ordered them to flight, she turned to press another thought of Stay into Java's mind, then followed the brown mare into the fray, wings snapping open as the Throat warriors broke cover. With a few powerful flaps, she launched herself into the air over the battle. Already, horses had clashed and were fighting amongst eachother? Where was Midas? Where was Gaucho? She hoped the two of them were still up for the count.

It was a struggled to keep up with Kri, but Aryel was able to maintain following distance. She watched as Kri rocketed down towards a large grey, who retaliated by sending his enormous hind hooves bucking skyward, then positioned himself in front of another grey. Instead of following Kri with her hooves, she dipped and banked sharply to curve around the two stallions, coming in to a rough landing that sent up clods of dirt and grass. She turned to face the male that the first was protecting (strange, that. Didn't the smaller grey bear the scent of the mercenaries?), flapping her wings once before folding them. She dipped her head, shook her mane, and pawed the ground with one hoof. Although no words were exchanged, she hoped Argetlam would realize her intention, that she wished to fight him on equal ground, without the use of her wings. She owed them that much, at least.

Magic: 0/4
Summary: Aryel follows Kri, then curves sharply to land behind Argetlam and Peixos. She paws the ground and watches Argetlam, indicating she wishes to fight him on the ground.

Is Argetlam the only Foothills horse in our cluster? Poor guy :p

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>
In blood and honor, we will prevail.</style>

image by gpabill @ flickr.com
Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Peixos Posts: 18
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 Hands :: 4 Years Old
Tay
peixos

Hell – yes hell as often as it does, broke loose just then.

I bolted out of my skin as the sun called its war song over the hilly spiral of Foothills’ horizon. My sturdy body lurched like the let go of a catapult. All of everyone leapt into action, Pegasi swarming from the trees behind, foot soldiers claiming the land with just the thunder under their hooves. We charged with all the glory and determination of the true soldiers we were. My gallop was among the stretched line of Grey members, I reached my hooves out towards the front as uneven ground hissed past at the slap of grass on my pale forelegs. My mocha gaze darted to find Raimo who was a whistle of blue above my head, throwing an image of the other army from his aerial view. We were all scattered, falling into place as the hum of our hooves and the whistle of our wings rolled over the hills. The war drum was unneeded here because we made enough noise all by ourselves.

The Grey was an army worth the fight. They were crammed in the space of a matchbox, all vertically lined side-by-side in the Deep Forest, huddled together in the blanket of muggy Tallsun darkness. There were limited resources in the fungi-ridden land, and I imagined that after a while the eeriness there in those mushrooms took a wicked control of their minds. I agreed with them, they needed to move. I was an advocate for the Foothills because of the son who dare wear his mother’s name.

And she was still here with me, in front of me, guiding us to where her son’s puny army stands at bay.

I heard the first pinches of impact as I came in on the enemy’s army, following the trail that Raimo made from above to the outside line. I followed him up to where a chocolate mare dipped from the sky to ram a huge stallion off to my side, pushing her forehooves at his neck in attempt to break his vitals. His body, made for the brutality of war, thick hide, strong bones, but something in his physique was not right for this. He lacked the most essential part of this art – muscle. I was about to let him be, until Raimo’s reptilian voice crooned ‘kill’ in blue words and the silver stallion’s massive chest pushed itself in my way.

It took me but a second to gather myself. Mocha eyes were slits, finding a generous liking in the illuminated presence of my foe. All of his weak contours were lit up, the sun gleaming in his foolishly kind eyes, probably penetrating his pupils at such strength that he was feeling the spots overwhelm his vision. His body coiled in tense suspension, I jolted leeward, bolting at Argetlam’s soft body. I was only a couple strides in before I lurched at him, powerful mass soaring, forelegs extended, aiming to hit his chest with enough force to knock my hooves into his ribcage. As my body was in mid-attack, I curled my dappled neck down, baring a flash of teeth that would hopefully rip the skin on the right side of his thick, lower neck. This attack, I knew was jaded, but with my opponent’s bulk and lack of talent, I was sure I’d at least have one hit.

Agility and heft was on my side. The sleekness and speed from the Appendix part of my mother only added to the stalwart weight and muscle capacity of my father. If I was anything I was well bred.

I felt a hot surge of electricity pulsate through my legs, into my hooves as they were in flight, remembering the words of the Appaloosa mare who wore orange eyes that glimmered in the face of such calamity. A smile pulled itself across my fish-marked muzzle, the warm fuzziness of recollection softening the glare in my eyes. I wanted to redeem this victory for her – and only her. I could feel it rushing in, foaming about the sands of my brain. I felt like I was finally getting the chance to defend my Tides. And I would defend them with all the mercy my soul allowed.

words; 708
summary; Peixos stumbles upon Argetlam who pushed himself defensively in Peixos' way. The fishboy charges, about a half stride away from the massive bulk of Argetlam he throws himself at him, forelegs outstretched and teeth bared, ready to knock into the much larger stallion's chest and take a chunk out of the right side of his neck.

skyfall is where we start
a thousand miles and poles apart
where worlds collide and days are dark
you may have my number, you can take my name
but you'll never have my heart

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia could not help but frown at the herd that had gathered that morning as the sun began to rise. The sparkles that had adorned her hair in the moonlight faded, and so did her will to fight. How could she take pride or honor in such an ill matched invasion? There was nothing to win here. Everything was being taken, stripped, rather. The alabaster mare ultimately felt disappointment fill her heart; not even their own lead was here to defend the shambles of a broken civilization, and she wondered what her sister was thinking now, having known Jackal when they were both young. The breath of silence exhales into chaos as fighting breaks out across the lush grasses and trees. Kri took flight from the trees, and Ophelia knew that her time to ache was closing, and she pushed her lithe body into a loose canter, making a wide circle while following the shadow of the winged leader of the Throat.

The young hybrid shut her heart behind iron walls, trapped to beat in her chest with a sole purpose: gaining control of the Foothills. Ophelia knew that removing individuals from battle one by one would give them even more of an advantage toward the end when tired muscles and heaving lungs caused more injury. So, she moved into the fray after making her wide loop to join against a tall, gray brute. Ophelia approaches from the south west side, dual colored eyes watching as Kri dove after the stallion, her hooves barely missing the crest of his neck. One of Kri’s warriors, a mare who mirrors the sky, landed in front, intending to fight from the ground as well as the new stallion of the Grey, Peixos. Their enemy, though the term seemed foolish and vulgar in her mind, stood very much taller than herself, but his ragged appearance and untried muscles spoke volumes about a general lack of interest in war. Though Ophelia’s figure was no more fit for war than his, she remained trim and athletic through travel, constantly moving from the forest to the Steppe.

Keen, strange eyes watch as Peixos takes advantage of Argetlam’s avoidance of Kri’s hooves, seeing the way the stallion launched his body toward the lonely Foothill’s fighter. Ophelia took the moment to act, quietly moving to Argetlam’s hindquarters, cloven hooves carrying her with speed and agility opposite of Peixos. She arched her neck, and attempted to spear him directly in the loins, though she knew that depending on his defensive maneuvers to her ally, he may be able to avoid her entirely. However, Ophelia was not without an alternative plan. Like a well-oiled machine, her mind works, the patterns of repetition she has seen taking shape and serving as a loose basis for subsequent action.

The alabaster hybrid pushes off the ground quickly with her hind quarters, leaping to the side in an attempt to remove herself from the proximity of his loins. As soon as her fore-hooves touch the ground, she lifts her haunches, lashing out with long, slender hind legs toward his barrel, or possibly shoulder, depending on his movement.

Tinek soared overhead, trying to move without interfering with the chestnut Pegasus, crimson eyes watching for a moment to dive. Just as Ophelia finished lashing out with her hooves, the silver beast tucked his wings to his sides and swooped from the sky. Just before colliding with Argetlam’s back, Tinek snapped open his wings and craned his neck downward, expelling electricity and frost from between his jaws. The dragon tilted his head as the wind lifted him from the battle again, attempting to make the blast that was intended for the top of his withers extend down his spine, but Ophelia’s kind was incredibly agile, he noticed. Granted, they were all earth bound and therefore rather limited…

The leader of the Grey’s intelligence turned to face Argetlam, watching her dragon’s jaws open and unleash a freezing, shocking hell with a churning gut. Why did they fight when so little were here to defend? What need and desire drove them when their own leader did not believe in their strength? As the sun continued to rise in the sky, Ophelia’s expression turned to storm. When she called for war, she longed for a challenge, proof that the Grey were noble, brutal fighters. What were they proving? Ophelia scoffed in her head as she kept her eyes on Argetlam, waiting to defend herself. Only that the Grey was smart enough to steal land from the broken.

[[OOC: (1/3) - (1/2 companion - 0/2 magic) - (756 words)

Ophelia circles to come at Argetlam's loin from the southwest (since no other direction was given for Arget's position, I assumed it to be his right, but I will wait and see!) and attempts to stab him with her horn. She then leaps to the side and kicks out with her hooves. As she is kicking out, Tinek swoops down and attempts to blast Arget with frost/shock combo (intensity of each power is lessened by half since he is using both in tandem) from his withers down his back. Tinek's body never touches Arget's body as he does not get close enough.

Ophelia uses that time to move and get in front of Arget, watching for her next defensive moves.]]

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!