the Rift

[EDGE] remember me as a time of day

Ursula Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

ursula

Dawn patterns unfurled like burnished fingers of lightning in the sky, streaking across the downy pink swath as it was newly brightened by sun. She moved through the rosy glow, the awakening songbirds heralding her presence through song, their warbled warnings eerily pleasant as they fell upon her ears. How many days had it been, one, one-hundred? Folly and fear had driven her to this unfamiliar territory, and even now, when she should have been wary in a land with a potential for hostility, caution had been thrown to the wind. This place afforded a false sense of security, with the disappearance of the familiar, she'd been robbed of the concept of danger and time.

Common presences were picked out, and confidence vested in those trifling items: trees, light, shadow, birds of song, and in those simple familiarities did she design a forced security. Narrow platforms of cloven hooves moved easily over the soil, the ground still damp and beaded with dew, the flow of obsidian limbs carrying her at a buoyant trot. The gray damsel weaved easily through the trees, a flowing ghost of quicksilver that melted aimlessly through the early mist - gait smooth, countenance calm down to the steady huffs of her breath.

The milky haze of morning had yet to be burned off by the sun, and the shadows were still dark were they lay folded beneath the trees, but she found that she found some comfort in the welcoming canopy of trees. As early hour illumination flooded the area, the darkness would grow less abundant, but even in the last moments of lingering shadow, the traveling mare was content to let the mix of dew and light lull her into peace.

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
The brightening of day shook the effects of night from my eyes and woke the stiffened tendons throughout my mind and body. Mirage had left a dent in my resolve as I moved restlessly from the Edge with a figurative nick in my shoulder. The wound had long healed but the muscle beneath still appeared to be bruised from her constant assaults. Her tactics were ruthless in battle but I was lucky enough to find a patient teacher in them as well. The rising sun cast long shadows across the misted remnants of the Edge and while I was reluctant to leave its warm embrace, I knew that I needed to keep my ambitions alive until the next trial in my fight for Captain. Resolve urged me into a rough trot which was trying enough on my battered shoulder but without daily exercise I knew that I would not remain fit enough to contend in the tournament for my rightful rank.

With the idea firmly in place, I decided to use my time wisely and visit the Threshold once more for whatever it was worth. I was growing tired of the place as I had come to know it like the back of my hand but I was more than attentive when it came to recruiting for the Edge. We were a growing empire and I wanted our residents to see it as such. I debated suggesting a herd meeting so that we could introduce the swarm of new faces but I wasn’t sure how it would go over with the Invasion in the Foothills rushing headlong into disaster. I had heard much of their troubles and yet there was nothing I could do to soothe their pain because Mirage had been obligated to respect the wishes of the Throat. I had no qualms about our alliance but I only wished that there was something that I could do for Romani, the mare I had seen only a few weeks ago in the Threshold. She was bright one, that girl, and I hoped that she would remain safe with war pressing upon her borders.

It wasn’t long until my travels had brought me to the Threshold in hopes of once again welcoming another warm newcomer. My sides heaved with the wears of the journey and I felt alive with the strains. It felt good to be useful despite the restraints in place for our friends in the Hills. However, I wasn’t given much time to debate Mirage’s motives as I stumbled upon a young mare. I had a way of doing such during every visit to the claiming grounds, but a family was a family, no matter what gender seemed to dominate. “I assume you’ve come seeking shelter?” I’d had nothing more to say in the way of introduction because it seemed like a hopeless cause. I didn’t want to waste time on formality though I did proffer a gentle smile. She was a pretty thing dressed in darkened tones of blue with alabaster striping along her back. There was no doubt she was young judging by the way she carried herself and the way her wise eyes seemed to find beauty in this tragic place. Her shoulders seemed to turn inward with strength that I had not seen in a mare of her size and age and she called upon my intuition with ease.

She would be the perfect prospect for our family if she’d only hear me out. But something in her gaze told me she would and I didn’t feel so reserved when I rushed ahead with that formality that I had avoided before. “I’m Thor of the World’s Edge and you, young one, are in Helovia.
Thor

Unregistered

Meandering in solidarity had a way of dulling the senses; the layered aroma of other existences was present, but with nobody and no bodies to focus on, she saw little reason to let her focus dwell on in the material world. Her thoughts drifted, idly wandering to subjects that came and went as such a frequently that few stood out as more than a blur, but it took little to pull her from it. Another came, and her steps faltered in the pace because of it - not knowing what to expect, and certainly not expecting the winged equine the emerged from the mingling of mist and morning. Ursula continued to skip forward a moment more, light feet carrying her closer before shifting into a halt with a sway. The cardinal red of eyes charged with curiosity slid subtly in her skull, glancing over the stallion's wings in an honest curiosity.

Though having heard of such anatomy before, to see it living, breathing, speaking was a different thing entirely - as much as she would have like to, the damsel decided against circling around him to nose the alien appendages. The bright gaze was respectfully re-averted to his own as he addressed her. "Shelter? No. I can't say that I was. Hearing the word spoken, however, makes me reconsider how I've neglected it." The black line of her lips pulled upwards a fraction, the ghost of a modest smile fabricated from the prior soft expression of neutrality. It truly hadn't been given much thought, skittish though she was, she lived in the moment and did not consider the fears till they came to pass.

Resting in the thistles and ferns had sufficed for such a long while, and she'd seen no reason to seek out any greater luxury. Finally, a name could be associated with the soil. Helovia. Crimson eyes drifted momentarily from the Pegasus, turned to study the prismatic filtering of light from the canopy, the way it colored the highlighted greens and brooding fingers and offshoots of trees; it was not such a bad place.

Her head dipped as she receivedhis name, welcoming the venture into formality with ease, almost grateful for the ability to return to default responses and actions the situation called for. "Ursula." A hoof was lifted and dropped to angle her body in a step to the side, a glance given beyond his winged form as she stared in the direction from whence he came; she wondered what lie beyond the forest, his home included. "I didn't know that such a place existed. Is there more to it than just this territory, and the one you come from?" The World's Edge sounded like a magnificent place, if not a bit frightening, but it was hard to imagine such a friendly fellow coming from a terrible land. She had not way to go but forward - might as well learn about the land before her hooves crossed it ignorantly.

The day was finally rising and becoming new, quite the breathtaking sight as it were. I had no real intentions to ponder the beauty of the Threshold after seeing it time and time again but this day was proving to be quite different. Ahead of me the sun was finally peering above the horizon and it drew a great, heaving sigh from my chest. Whatever magic I found here on this day was purely because my company was just as heart stopping. She was a peculiar shade of steely grey that when in perfect light appeared to echo the blues of the heavens above. At some point I would have to ask where she had acquired such a coat but I didn’t want to intrude… just yet anyhow. Fixing a firm brown gaze upon eyes of crimson, I felt a surge of inspiration. Everything about her was strange and yet I found myself desiring her company. However, thoughts of Tamira and my new child reminded me that no matter whose company I found myself in, I would always return to the ones I loved.

Huffing slightly, I forced myself from the constant reverie that I often found myself falling prey to and offered this Ursula a quirky smile. I had encountered this very same situation many times and perhaps I had grown bored with the concept and so thusly decided that it was appropriate to skip the small talk and get straight to business. “There are many places you can call home here… but my suggestion would still be the same. However, if you would prefer a small introduction, I could always go over a few numbers.” Another suggestive smile seemed to work its way onto my lips.

The Dragon’s Throat is an ally of the Edge and a great place if you enjoy the heat of the desert. The Foothills is under siege so I wouldn’t suggest calling it home unless you could somehow convince The Grey to invite you. If you’ve a dark side to cater to you might consider the Basin, though I can’t imagine you’d get much of a welcoming committee. So, unless you fancy living in the wilds of Helovia, I suggest you come with me darling.” A soft chuckle followed soon after such a straightforward approach, but hell, I was tired of trying to act as if this wasn’t mundane. Surely she would understand my frustrations.

Nodding down the path from which I’d come, I offered her a mischievous grin and turned on my haunches before looking over my shoulder at her. My eyes were wide and filled with a childlike enthusiasm. “Come along now, we’ll chat on the way.
Thor

OOC| Welp, I went ahead and wrapped it up for you darling. <3

Unregistered
There were many places to visit he said. And so it would seem, mused the unicorn, as her thoughts sped to fabricating trifling images of what the mentioned places looked like. It went without argument that she was no adventurer, but found that even imagination could suffice in place of the tangible world; the ones she created were far gentler places at the very least. So easily overwhelmed, Ursula had a feeling that it would be better to learn one place at a time, but her tongue was restrained from uttering the endless inquiries dammed behind dark lips.

Her chin tucked faintly to her left breast, head angling back to look over her shoulder at the stretch already traveled, the lands that she knew only vaguely, but still far better than the ones ahead. Serpentine tail flickered in a final moment of decision, her mind clearly swayed into a final decision. The wilds offered little comfort to a lone mare, she was no fool, and no solitary female dead set on the road of independence. She would move on, forward, into a new family just as her own had likely moved on.

The mare turned back to face him, her head dipping in a faint but firm nod of compliance, body stirring into movement as she moved to accompany the newly discovered guide, the buoyancy of her steps renewed. "You make a fine offer Thor, thank you." Thoroughly intrigued by the name of the place he called home, she would follow, and should any opportunity present itself, learn.

"speech"

I can make you a thread in the Edge if you like and post in the update board for your rank change.