the Rift

The Earth Says Hello {|| Thor, Hellena, OPEN ||}

Sulwyn Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Sulwyn

what is this world we live in?

Beams of light bounced off of a sun-marked belly as the mare began to stir. The exhaustion that had crept into her limbs the day before had vanished, leaving the grulla refreshed, if not groggy. A porcelain-striped head lifts from the lush green grass in an instant; the realization that dawn had come and gone many hours past shocking the femme awake. If her memory served her correctly, she had found a place to lay just as the sky had begun to lighten, and moments after she had laid her head to rest, she fell asleep. The journey had taken its toll on the mustang, but it was still no excuse for sleeping her first day in her new home away. She was thankful that she had been able to relax, nonetheless.

Rising completely, the silver equine tiptoed her way through the long grass towards the feathered bay shape of Thor. Her golden eyes flashed with empathy for the brute, rejoicing in the fact that she had not been the only one who had slept in so late. He had appeared so steadfast and hardy the day before that she didn't think it would be possible to make him tire so easily, yet here he was. And here she was.

He looks so fragile when he's sleeping. You'd never guess that he would be able to make such a long journey overnight.

"Thor? Thor, I think we've both slept in for far too long. If it's alright with you, would you mind sharing some knowledge with me? And where is Hellena? I wish to speak with her more." Sulwyn's slender head turned to look around her, trying to find the familiar dappled coat of the Seer. All the mare saw were fields of green, and tendrils of wispy mist. She wondered briefly if she had slept beside her new herdmates last night, or if she had been cast aside, being the unknown newcomer that came in the dark. It was time to familiarize herself with the herd, and to get to know its members so that she could be the awkward stranger no more.
ooc

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
Morning crept along the horizon casting shades of pale pink and purples across the expanse of the Edge. I had been lost in some dream during the night that was hard to shake when Sulwyn’s voice drifted into my slumber. The hazy edge of sleep seemed to be reluctant to let me rise and yet, I was able to overcome it without much more than a startled snort. The mists hung low around my feet and made me think that rain was on its way and I was more than happy to see them come. The distant role of thunder brought me great comfort and the welcome pitter patter of rain loosened my lips. A smile was brought forth for my grulla companion and she appeared to be a little disoriented and perhaps a little confused. I nudged her playfully before chuckling in omission. “There’s not much to be done at the moment Miss Sulwyn, so getting a little rest is probably best for the both of us. As for Hellena, there’s no telling where she’s gotten off to but I can’t imagine she’s gone far being that she’s pretty attached to these lands after all.

I stretched the stiffened tension that had gathered in my back and legs and then shook mercilessly against the cool morning breeze. It was beautiful here as always and I was glad to invite the warmth of the sun’s rays as it began to peer more openly above the horizon. Time and again I had watched this very same sunrise and felt its calming effects before a long day in the life of a herd. That’s not to say that I resented its regularity, in fact, I had come to enjoy it just the same. I was not like my brother when it came to roaming the wilds. I had visited a few places here and there but nothing ever seemed to strike a chord with me. However, the Edge had won my heart just as Tamira had done so long ago in the Deep Forest.

I wondered about her whereabouts now before murmuring softly to the ghostly winds of her stale scent.

I was glad that she was able to call the Edge home since my suggesting it, but I hadn’t seen much of her since Mirage had given her, her blessing. Whatever the cause, I would have to debate it later- I had company to entertain and I was more than willingly to do so. After all, she was something of a beauty herself. Those amber eyes had a way of demanding my attention and I would be a fool to deny their call. Again, I fixed a warm smile upon her before gathering the last breath of morning and expelling it in order to invite this brand new day. “What is it that you would like to know?

Again a tremendous role of thunder sounded in the distance and while I wished the sun would stay, I was more than glad to welcome the rain.

OOC| Bet you thought you'd never see this post. XD

Hellena Posts: 64
World's Edge Seer
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 26 Buff: NOVICE
Whit

Engrossed with the mists, I moved silently, pondering, coming off my high after spying the glorious form of my patron Goddess. We had shared most of the night together, at least, it had felt that way. The memory of her touch, her words, her presence still left a curious tingling sensation down my spine. I clutched to that memory, that sensation, I used it to give myself the impression that she was always by me, near me, guiding me. Of course, the powers of Seer gave me control of the mists - but they controlled me just as much as I them, they led and guided me just as with the swish of my tail I cleared them from my path. I wandered these lands, lost in thought, my mind clearly elsewhere.

The shape of the Edge had changed since the invasion of the Qian, since the new leadership and introduction of dragons and fire. I remembered when the Sun God made his burning presence known - truly I hated fire. I would rather the cool clutches of wind and darkness to swallow me whole, than the hot, unbearably searing flames of hell to consume me. But I will admit that the camps made were fitting with the family lifestyle they seemed to encourage, this affectionate familiarity that allowed one to feel secure, gave everyone a sense of belonging. They camps weren't large, and the fires only burned during the depths of winter, and when the Qian's time in the Edge was done they would swiftly be swallowed by the forest surrounding them once more.

Without realising it, I wandered back to the camp where I had left the new mare, Sulwyn, sleeping beneath the guarding eyes of Thor. Just as the dawn crept over the reaches of the trees, so too did the curious words of the mare, and the deep, kind reply from the large steed. I smiled, the expression probably making me look dreamy and faraway - in truth, I was still faraway, still in the embrace of my Goddess. A light laughter echoed from my maw as I pulled myself into a trot, in far too good a mood today, I find the forward pace good to expel the excess energy my contentment has blessed me with. Dipping my horned tiara to the duo before coming to a halt, sweeping my tail about my hocks as I did, bringing the mists that followed me so willingly to a coasting halt about my flanks in the meantime.

"What stirs your curiosity, Sulwyn?" My cherubic voice sounded, my elated mood obvious for all to see.

Unregistered

Sulwyn

The mists that shrouded the land of World's Edge had gradually begun to grow thicker, as if they were attempting to shield the drowsy pair of beasts from the droplets of rain that now pierced their cloudy veil. A slim head turned at the sound of the grey vixen's voice, which sounded as if it were full of joy and dripping with wisdom. The young mustang immediately felt as if she were in her mother's embrace; that nothing would be able to harm her, and that the world would begin to make sense. Ashen ears flicker in apprehension at the invitation to pester each mythical creature with questions and inquiries, but the fae's timid nature had begun to out-do her once again.

Momentarily lost for words, Sulwyn managed to blurt out a hardly decipherable "Good morning, Hellena" before nipping at her sun-marked flank in annoyance. She had only been conscious for a handful of minutes at the very most, wasting much of her first day in her new herdlands, and she had already managed to make a fool of herself. A disapproved snort blasted from her striped nose as the grulla swung her head back to face her welcoming committee, her sterling forelock falling over one weary eye.

"Ah, yes, Lady Hellena, my curiosity..." The uneasy fae licked her lips nervously, unsure of what she should be inquiring about after such a blunder had managed to put her in such a nerve-wracking position. All of her charm and confidence from the day before was long gone, replaced by her usual timid and apprehensive demeanor. "Well, for starters, I guess you could lend me your knowledge of the vast territory that we now converse in. How did the Edge come to be? And, if you are a seer, and Thor a nurse, then what other classes are there?"

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

[Was this the thread you wanted a sneak to join Nyte?]

I am making my way through the Edge this morning with no particular agenda. I'm grazing as I go, sometimes leaving trails of black water where I stand too long in one place. My mind is drifting, as always, over the recent things I have learned and things I need to accomplish. I will leave later this afternoon to be productive, but for now I am reveling in the cool mists of the morning and enjoying my breakfast.

It is in this meandering manner that I stumble quite unexpectedly upon this gathering. I recognize Thor and Hellena at once as my head rises, grass still caught in the corners of my lips as I chew, but I do not know the mare with the sun on her gut. I am unperturbed though, there are many I do not know as of late - the herd has been growing rapidly - and the mood seems relaxed. At any rate Thor and Hellena can handle themselves should it become unrelaxed.

I motion a greeting to them with a nod, but otherwise intend to continue my grazing, not particularly interested in interrupting my day to stop and chat, unless it is needed of me. I'm not sure who would ever want to stop and 'chat' with me, but it happens often enough just the same. My newest rank certainly demands more of it from me, and deep down I know it is for the best. Already compared to last year I am much more diplomatic and capable in social situations, no longer balking at the first set of ears in the horizon or fleeing like a coward at the first hint of a frown on someone's face.

Still, I think loneliness is engraved on the core of my being.

I N K

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Whatever had gotten into Hellena was something that I was all too afraid to question. Her eyes seemed to lighten at the smallest of actions and perhaps it was just as well; I was delighted to see her so amiable in our presence. Sulwyn of course, was very attentive in the way that she looked on at our Seer, still so intrigued by her very existence. I couldn’t help but chuckle at her curiosity after nodding politely to Hellena upon her approach. As I’ve mentioned before, mares certainly had a way about them and their moods were something that I often contemplated. But I guess it was a mystery that I was never to solve because they were just too damn confusing for me to make sense of. Why I always placed myself in such precarious situations was beyond my knowledge and so I settled back onto my haunches to listen to their banter about the Edge. I had answered those same questions many times and I was more than thankful to have Hellena here to do it for me.

Just when I had thought that I was ready to settle in for a long afternoon of female conversation, I noticed a black smudge mounting the horizon. I could recognize Ink from anywhere but this time I felt incredibly lucky to see him appear from the mists, after all, it was hard to mistake his sharp contrast in color against the paleness of the clouded veil. He looked a bit surprised to see us all gathered here and for a moment I imaged that he might just join us, but when he settled back into grazing after a rather quick nod, all hope for help seemed to fade away. If I’d had some kind of telekinetic powers, I would have told him to get his ass over here and save me from the estrogen overload… But what could be done? I was already doomed.

World's Edge Seer
Whit

The tentative nature of Sulwyn is endearing to my heart, I feel my smile broaden into something warmer, something more genuine and heartfelt as I watch her shy motions eventually bring forth a timid voice, revealing her want for knowledge. It brings joy to me, to see the hope that drives her, the yearning to improve not only herself, but the herd that she has made claim to. I flick an ear, and turn my tiara to the side before I answer, following Thor's line of sight, to spy the dark hide of Ink grazing the freshly awakened grass that coats the floor of this campsite. It is good that he is here, for he represents just one side of this many faceted herd we call home.

"The Edge came to be by the whim of the Moon Goddess, who, with her brothers, the Lords of Time, Earth and Sun, crafted the entire realm that we call Helovia. She carved these cliffs with the wind she controls, made them strong and sturdy so that they did not fall to the ocean, filled them with mists and forests so that the cool embrace of her darkness was forever present." I summed up the creation of our home in a few succinct sentences, hoping they were enough to answer her query regarding its origins. Thor seemed to be settled in his silence, and I was in talkative enough a mood to continue filling our sun-stained mare in with the knowledge.

"There are many ranks available within the herd, each of them as valuable as the other. There are the healers, which Thor here represents today, led by Torasin. There are the Philosophers, who aid in teaching our young ones the ways of surviving the land. They are led by our Advocate, Rishima, who is sister to the DragonHeart. There is also theWraiths, led by our silent Spectre, Ink." I gestured towards the dark stallion who stood nearby, raising my voice just as I said his name, in hopes that he might look this way, and share his knowledge on his own rank in his own special, artistic way.

"There is also the crafters, led by our Glazier, who work to build a great range of things, from trinkets to armour for our final class to wear; that of the Protectors, led by the WingLeaders, who will be decided upon the end of a Tournament that our WeyrLeader called, to ensure that only the most capable of defenders lead our Protectors." I finish my speech with a sigh, hoping that I had sufficiently sated her curiosity.

Unregistered

Sulwyn

Ignorant to the presence of the silent shadow just behind her, the silver mare pricked her ears towards the horned fae with interest. She spoke of how a Goddess had molded the steep cliffs that held up the Edge, and how the scattered woods and the dense shrouds of mist were also created by such an astounding individual. It amazed her to hear of such awe-inspiring feats, and she was more than surprised to realize that she was not doubting a single word. She wasn't a very religious subject herself, but she believed that some higher being had to have constructed the earth and then filled it with a vast array of creatures, all unique in their own way. The little sun that marked her hide was proof of that.

Glancing over to Thor, who was as silent as the curtains of mist surrounding them, Sulwyn noticed that he was casting his own chocolate gaze behind her. A harsh breeze whipped at her ashen locks as she turned her head to look at the brute behind her. For a moment the grulla didn't know what to do; her eyes widened in shock at her own unawareness -- had she really been so absorbed in Hellena's story of the Edge's origin? -- and her legs went stock-still. A few moments passed before the wise elder mare began to speak again, informing Sulwyn of the various classes that made up the system of the Edge, and introducing Ink to her in the process.

It was his line of work that sparked interest in the mare almost as soon as Hellena's melodic words reached her ears. Wraiths sounded to be one of the only classes that did not involve blood or gore, and it certainly didn't sound as exhausting or time consuming as becoming an advocate. Maybe she could abstain from blood shed or the gruesome affair of healing while still aiding her herd in a much less violent manner.

"Thank you for enlightening me, Hellena. Your wisdom is much appreciated." Sulwyn gave the dappled beauty a grateful smile, genuinely thankful of her presence here. Turning herself around with a few fluid steps, the mustang tossed her head out to the inky stallion in a friendly gesture, inquiring, "Would you care to explain to me what it is that you do? A few of the ranks have caught my attention, but I'd have to say that your own specialization has made me rather curious." <./font>

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

Thor seeks an odd friend in me, as I am often mistaken as a female myself with my slender, even dainty frame. My abstinence from battle surely has not helped either since it seems an inborn trait in those with testicles between their legs. I do have a pair nestled there, though perhaps they are smaller? I can't be sure, I've never really bothered to look at anyone's balls. Maybe I'll take a peek at Thor's later to start building this confirmation.

Either way, girly stallion or not, I am poor company and his pleading gaze goes unnoticed by my grazing head.

My ears twitch with the faintest of movements as Hellena starts to speak. One pivots more towards the group to better catch her words, curious to hear what she would have to say on the matter. I know our ranks of course, but I could always know more, a truth for anyone.

As usual Hellena speaks with an eloquence born of her wise age and career option. Although she is more willing than normal, which gives her tones a more elated tenor, I still find them a wonderful thing to listen to. In my personal silence I have become more attuned to the voices of others than is typical for a horse. Too often I have found, others focus so much on what they wish to say that they do not bother to even listen first. Sometimes I wonder why some horses were even born with ears.

At the mention of my own name I lift my head, lips continuing to drag in the last of my bite. I find all eyes on me for a moment and feel utterly exposed. Embarrassment reclines my ears back and makes my legs bow my body into shyness, wishing suddenly this fog were thicker or that I had the ability to make it so. I have never been well noticed for my rank or expected to deliver anything but my intelligence and prisoners. I am not meant for making speeches, not in the literal term, or in the figurative of standing before a group and swaying their passions and morale. I am weak at best and certainly no leader of any kind. I often think I only have the figurehead of Spectre to call my title due to our original lack of sneaks - perhaps now that there are some more willing, Mirage may see it more fit to promote someone else.

I would not mind. My duty is not done for the sake of glory, and certainly not for the sake of more responsibilities.

I am Spectre now though, and I assume, for some time longer as I do not take it Mirage is liable to demote someone still serving well. It may just mean I need to learn to improve.
Bit by bit, I already have been, because of this herd. Because of my friends. Because of this family here.

Sulwyn strides towards me as Hellena finishes her speech. I nod my head respectfully to her and have long since finished swallowing my meal. She poses a tricky question for one in my position though, and for a moment I am still in thought of how to respond without turning the whole field black.

After this interlude I let my lips part in a gentle smile and bring my tail to my side.

From its tips the black liquid flows, inching out like worms crawling from the ground when it rains. I jerk my tail back in a sudden sweep and the long, dextrous paintbrush uncoils like a hairy snake, swerving and smearing darkness upon the ground. Intently I watch it and its as if my gaze does all the work, though my tail continues to twitch, transcribing my thoughts, my voice into images.

A gnarled tree smothered in black erects itself and beneath it a horse comes to rest. From another strand of ink I make another horse that becomes a bird, which I set into a branch of the tree.

My story is getting complex and I glance to ensure she is following. I don't have the time or the patience to coddle her now. If she wants to work beneath me she must be capable in mind, it's all we have in the intelligence business. My duty is not a selection to be based on dislike of all the other options. It is not the weakest role and certainly not the easiest. If she thinks it so then she will fail and failing in my line means being captured by enemies who will often torture if not kill you. Perhaps even worse, her failure in my line means the capture of another of our herd and their torture and their death.

My gaze is heavy like the night upon this world.

Another strand of ink crafts an additional horse that walks towards the one beneath the tree. The two bow their heads as if in quiet conversation, while the bird in the tree flutters down closer to listen.

My drawing drops, spilling like infected rain upon the loam.
From its pool I create a new scene.

Another horse I make and then many more. The first is encircled by all the rest and they advance suddenly in a wash of obsidian. They merge, and there there were many there now is one, chains of onyx wrapped about its legs. It tries to run but its legs are torn free and its body, deceased, tumbles like a bleak wave to grass at our feet.
It splashes against my hoof, but it all looks the same. The ground will eat it soon enough.

I lift my head and watch her carefully, curious to see if she understands. I need to know not only if she heard me, but if she recognized the worth and the risk at playing with shadows. Fire may burn, but darkness consumes.

I N K

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Obsidian images swirled through the tender blades of summer grass and I moved closer to Ink as he began to voice his tale of “being” through long sweeping motions of paint. I watched, memorized by his ability to bring his visions to life; they were beautiful and he obviously possessed a practiced hand when it came to communicating through silence. Quietly, I watched as creatures came to life beneath his caring strokes. He claimed the stage by storm and I was certainly not one to interrupt whatever story seemed to be unfolding before me. I could remember the day that he had aided me in protecting the Edge from those ignorant beasts who thought it wise to invade so soon after we had suffered at the Basin’s hand in stealing Mirage from her throne. Ink was so clearly meant to be a wraith, but the look in his eyes spoke of a doubt that I could not explain. Perhaps I did not long to understand his troubles; they were his pains after all, and if he longed to share them then he would. I was not one to press for answers when they were not openly available.

I looked to Sulwyn as she too watched Ink painting the emerald grounds in a blackness that was not often seen here in the Edge. Both of them were curious creatures to me and for that, I admired them. I was glad to call them family because of who they were and how they lived. They were giving on most occasions such as these and I longed to be of such worth one day. When I noticed that Ink had finished his performance, I looked to him with a graveness that I had not known as of late. “Ink possesses a great talent, one that allows him to observe any and every private affair at will. This ability defines him as our Spectre and if becoming a Wraith is something that interests you, his guidance would help you immensely I believe.” There were many things that Sulwyn could learn from our leading Wraith and her curiosity made me believe that his position as such was of great importance to her. Without any more distraction, I motioned towards the dark stallion to allow him our attention to his heart’s content. I did not wish to step on his toes when his talents were questioned by those like Sulwyn. I wanted him to know that I was a friend when he needed one, if he ever needed one.

Glancing back at Hellena who had fallen quiet to our conversation, I decide that it was better to start wrapping things up where they were left to fray. “As for the Edge, it was not always ruled by our dear Dragonheart. The Quian was once a small band that lived in the Wilds before they invaded the Edge which was once inhabited by those now in the Basin. When they were conquered, Mirage was able to safely call the Edge her home and has done so ever since. As Hellena, has also summed up for you, there are many ranks in which you may specialize. Is there any one that you are particularly interested in?” I felt that Hellena had shared much of the knowledge that one needed to know when it came to living in the Edge, but I knew that there would always be questions about our existence and I only hoped that I could justify them as well as the natives to the Quian.

The growing storm seemed to be cresting the horizon now and I knew it would soon be upon us and so I motioned for us to seek shelter before it came. A strand of tall pines and oak stood off to the left and while I waited for their acceptance of my new terms, I looked into the graying clouds above, hoping for the summer rains to bring relief from the noon heat.

OOC| Ew. Sorry.

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Unregistered

Sulwyn

The little mare found that she was glad to have heard Thor's own input on the manner, reassured now that he was not going to remain a silent bystander but instead take up the role of a translator. The shadowy stallion she had come to know as Ink had left a dark liquid all over the luscious field, explaining to the young femme what it was that he did in his own inky way. Wonder and amazement filled her bodice as she focused her gaze on the spectre, her golden orbs beginning to fill with inspiration as she learned of this important position. Already the silver mare was thinking about what she would be capable of; she could keep the members of her herd safe by way of spying and keeping silent -- two things that Sulwyn was sure that she could do -- and she didn't have to purposefully shed the blood of another. Although one has to assume that you must be able to defend yourself. That, at least, I can handle.

The sound of Thor's booming voice stopped the grulla from making her decision aloud, and she listened carefully to his words as she patiently waited to speak. Sulwyn could not remember asking about their herd's intentions, or that of any other herds -- at least, not since waking -- but she was grateful to hear of these events as well. She had not had the chance to meet with the Dragonheart, so hearing of her history with the Edge was welcome information to Sulwyn's smoke-dusted ears.

"Thank you very much, all of you. I can't say just how many times you have all had to relay this information to other newcomers, but I assume that that number is great." A small smile curled the mare's alabaster lips. "I had no idea that the herd I had joined was called the Qian. Thank you again for allowing me to understand this, Thor." Sulwyn turned her head to the black creature beside her, reaching out with a tentative touch to his shoulder. It was a friendly manner, and she thought that it would be fitting for what she was to say next; that is, if the spectre would accept her as his new rankmate.

"Sometimes it is hard to get one's point across to a crowd, and other times it is hard to get that point across to just a small gathering of friends. This may be harder for some than it is for others, and I admire your capacity to fill me with amazement as well as turn your voiceless words into images. What you have is a gift, Ink, and I would like to express my deepest thanks for sharing that with me."

"I do, however, have an answer to your question, dearest Thor." Sulwyn still couldn't get over the easiness that she felt when addressing her friend, occasionally letting out a term of endearment that sent the mare into a state of timidness. It was just the aura that the pegasus gave off; it made her peel back her protective outer shell and reveal her innocent soul within it. One day she would have to return the favor, although she was not entirely sure how that was done.

Letting those thoughts slip aside and gathering herself for another bout of speech, Sulwyn affirmed, "Ink's own rank intrigues me greatly, and I have a deep desire to benefit our herd -- the Qian -- in whatever way possible. It seems to be one of the most influential roles and also one of the least violent, so I am more than happy to be presented with an option quite like this one. I think that becoming a wraith would be in my best interest and, if you or another of your members will have me, I would very much like to work alongside you, Ink."

Almost as if it had been waiting for the grulla mare to finish, the dark clouds above the group that had gathered here split open, allowing for a downpour of rain to fall upon the backs of each horse present. Although it was only a bout of light rainfall at the moment, it would soon turn into a steady rush of rain, and the booms of thunder and clashes of lightning were drawing ever closer.

{OOC: Hope it's all right to let the rain come down on them like this. I just thought that it had been suppressed for long enough. x3}

World's Edge Seer
Whit

Satisfaction rolled through me like wildfire - though I do hate to refer to wildfire as anything but destructive and horrible, a force that I never want to see upon my lands again - as I watched this mare find her purpose. It was a beautiful thing, to see someone find their perfect fitting glove, the one thing that they were specifically designed to do. While she would have to work her way towards earning the magic of the lands associated with rising in esteem in the herd, I saw the determination alight behind her warm eyes. I remembered the feeling within myself, being but a filly, less than a year old, gazing to the beautiful moon above with longing - I remember my Goddess stepping down from the heavens that day to embrace me with her dark, windy nature. It was from that moment on that I knew I would forever work towards learning about her, about the lands she crafted, about the very way in which this mystical world was put together.

That Sulwyn had found her calling in the art of sleuth was a welcome addition to the specialised ranks. She was no daft little thing, rather quite the opposite - she had a sharp tongue and a wit to match the wiry glint behind her eyes. Ink's gift portrayed rather clearly the importance his class of rank had for the herd - yes, they protected with their words, which was sometimes more difficult than protecting merely with the flesh - it required so much more than simply a fit body, but a fit mind and soul too. His demonstration left me smiling, as I saw understanding shine behind the mare's eyes, and longing to aid the herd - genuine, earnest longing.

"I am glad to have helped you find your place with us, Sulwyn." I speak softly, my voice still holding that happy lilt, but it was faded, muted slightly, as the heavens closed in upon us and unleashed their gloriously refreshing tears to cleanse the lands. I peer upwards at the dark underbelly of the cloud responsible for the downpour, and I simply smile. It was a good omen, a sign that the path for this mare, Sulwyn, was being cleaned, washed, polished and waiting, ready for her to take the first step towards mastering the skill she has chosen.

"Until next time, my kin." It was not often that I found myself referring to those around me as my own brethren, but while they lived upon my lands, served under the moonlight for my Goddess with honesty and purity in their hearts, they were kin to me. With a gracious sweep of my tiara, I turned upon a pale heel, swung my elongated tail about my hocks, and allowed the mists to swallow me up once more.