the Rift

A Change of Scenery [Closed]

Marius Posts: 15
World's Edge Stallion
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 5 (ages in BirdSong)
Raine
It was sunny, and more than a little warm, and plenty of sunlight dappled the forest floor. The ground was soft beneath his hooves and he left very clear hoof prints as he walked. The trees rose tall around him, their bark grooved and twisted with age. But there were small ones around him as well, new growth that was struggling to survive in the thick forest. It was through this new growth and the brush that he was making his way through.

Marius plodded through the trees slowly, his head down as he snuffled at the ground. The woods were thick, but he wasn't worried about it. He knew that he would end up finding his way out of the woods eventually, and perhaps he would even be somewhere he hasn't been before. That would certainly be interesting for the stallion, he needed a change of scenery. So he lifted his head up and looked around again, taking in all the different trees that surrounded him.

There was a couple of rustles from around him, but he could only assume that was wild animals or something. A touch on his flank caused his skin to twitch and he flicked his tail in the direction of it. He turned his head to look at it, snorting when he noticed that it was simply a low hanging branch that had brushed across him. He picked up his pace slightly, continuing to head out of the forest - or at least he hoped it was out of the forest.

Lifting his head once more, he looked up at what little of the sky he could see and tried to reason out about what time of day it was. It was still morning as the sun hadn't crested to its peak in the sky yet, and that was why it wasn't unbearably hot yet. He huffed out a sigh and flicked his tail again before his ears swiveled to all the different sounds around him. Perhaps he would run into someone in the forest, after all he couldn't be the only one wandering around this early in the morning.

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

Her steps were lighter now than they had been months before, and not only due to the strain of the weight she had gained during pregnancy. Things, while taking a bitter turn for the worst, had changed considerably over the last few days… At first, Romani had been uncertain if she could learn to cope with her new life in the Edge, for returning to the Foothills was out of the question. With the Invasion in progress, there was little to nothing the new mother could do besides sit and wait it out. Yet the helplessness of the situation was remedied by the fact that she and Xanthos had finally started a family.

With little Jasiri in their lives, the transition from living in the Foothills to residing in the Edge became easier. Mirage, Gods bless her, had been beyond accommodating, even granting Romani the position of Protector to help safe-guard her new home. The palomino still had duty, still had honor and purpose in her new home, and that helped her cope immeasurably. Sometimes, no matter how hard she tried, when lost in her own musings, the Haflinger mare would ponder just what had become of her old home… What had become of Jackal, the King of Thieves? She knew that others of the Foothills were slowly trickling out of hiding and venturing to the Edge to seek new homes, as Aaron had already done.

Releasing a soft sight and giving her head a furious shake, Romani’s crisp, azure eyes focused once more on the task at hand. It had been so long since she could just wander, and so that’s what the palomino mare found herself doing, and her day’s journey had brought her into the Threshold. Once upon a time she had made what seemed like daily trips to the lands entrance to find stragglers or other invidiualds who searched for a home…

Pausing in her steps, the warrior lifted her head, nostrils flaring as she inhaled the scents of the forest. There were many, but one stood out among the rest… The smell of another equine, and one that was relatively close to her current location. Ears flicked forward in interest, the flaxen strands of her tail giving a slight flick to rid the flies buzzing about her rump, and once more Romani picked up her pace. Behind her, every dutifully, little Kasai followed. The cub had grown quite a bit since they bonded in Birdsong, and their internal connection grew more and more with each passing day.

Stepping through a relatively thick collection of trees, Romani’s compact frame stopped in her tracks, spotting an equine weaving his way through the forests. Giving a soft nicker to gain his attention, the mare called out. This unknown equine, like her, was a palomino, his coat seemingly crafted from the finest of golds. Mane and tail hung in ivory sheets about his neck and rump, and she admired him for a moment before allowing a smile to blossom upon her dark lips.

“Hail, good fellow!” She called, giving her pretty head a toss, forelock landing gracefully out of her azure depths, “Welcome to Helovia!”

The true Soldier fights not because
He hates what is in front of him,
But because he loves what is behind him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

World's Edge Stallion
Raine
cellspacing="0">

Marius stilled his walking as something else caught his attention. Was that a bird flittering about? It must have been, after all there were bird calls everywhere. He hummed lightly, dropping his head and starting to take another step when a scent washed over him. An equine? Well, that wasn't quite what he expected, even if he had wanted to find others here. He turned, looking for the source of the smell. It didn't take very long to locate the equine standing there. She was a palomino as well, that was an interesting note.

His mouth curved into a smile as she spoke and he bobbed his head slightly. "Thank you. So Helovia is where I am?" he questioned, tipping his head slightly. "I've never been to Helovia before, I guess I found somewhere new after all," he mused, amusement heavy in his tone before he looked back at the mare and the... well, there was a cub following her. That was interesting as well.

"My name is Marius, what's yours?" he questioned, smiling at her again. After all, it always paid off to be friendly and she seemed nice enough.

He shifted his weight as he waited for an answer, resting it on his left side to lessen up the pressure on his right hind. The scar there didn't bother him very often, but it decided that it would mess with him today. Troublesome. Oh well, he could focus on other things. Like what this land of Helovia might bring in the future, and what had happened here in the past. To hear about the land in more detail would probably be thrilling, and he resolved to ask the mare about it in a little bit.

Romani

Romani’s eyes watched as the stallion finally spotted her, seeming to appraise her for a moment before giving a soft bob of his head. A warm smile seemed to spread upon his lips, and the fear that he might be one to be wary of vanished in a heart beat. He seemed genuine, this one, his words gentle like the soft caress of a parent. In return to his inquiry about where he stood, the Haflinger gave a nod of her own, the long strands of her ivory forelock once more swaying to mar her azure gaze.

“Indeed,” she said, daring to take a few steps closer to the palomino stallion. “And you’re very welcome. You’re in Helovia’s Threshold; it’s where all wanderers enter this land.” The stocky mare briefly thought back to when she had wandered into this very land, a lost gypsy in search of a new home… That had been back in Frostfall, and while it hadn’t been too terribly long ago, it felt like centuries had passed since that fateful day. At her side, Kasai obediently followed, her nose twitching as the feline’s ice-blue orbs soaked in the sight of the stranger. When Romani came to a stop, the monochromatic cub did as well, plopping to a sit in the grass, tail flicking left and right as she eyed the stranger.

When he introduced himself as Marius, the warrior rolled the name on her tongue a few times, as if tasting it to make sure that she could pronounce it right. Then, with a smile, she dipped her head, neck bending slightly in a formal sort of bow. “I am Romani, a Protector of the World’s Edge,” the golden-red palomino stated cordially, azure eyes once more flicking upwards towards Marius, “And this is Kasai, my beloved companion.” The said cub gave a growling sort of meow at the sound of her name.

Romani grew silent for a moment, simply taking in Marius once more. He didn’t seem to be much older than her, but the Haflinger’s keen eyes immediately took note of a wicked looking scar marring the stallion’s palomino hide, as well as an almost pinched expression of pain crossing his handsome face. The previous gentle smile on her lips turned downwards in concern, head tipping slightly to the side. Her ears twitched, uncertain. “Are you well, friend?” She asked, ever the diplomatic one, “You seem… Bothered, if I may say. If you’d like to find a place to rest for awhile, I’d be more than happy to offer you the hospitality of the Edge.” It was a question as well as a statement, for she truly wouldn’t mind leading him back home with her. Home… How long would it take for her to get used to calling the Edge that?

The True Soldier Fights Not Because
He Hates What is in Front of Him,
But Because He Loves What is Behind Him.

World's Edge Stallion
Raine
cellspacing="0">

He couldn't help but smile again as the mare said that he was in Helovia's threshold. So wherever he was couldn't be too much different from his old homeland if they also had a threshold through which newcomers entered. "That's almost fascinating," he mentioned. "My old home had something similar, where all the newcomers gathered at."

He found his gaze drawn to the cub that sat down beside the mare, and he examined her in curiosity before looking up as the mare spoke again. Romani was her name then, and the cub was Kasai. He rolled the names over in his mind, committing them to memory and fairly certain that he could pronounce them correctly then. "It's a pleasure to meet both of you," he said, dipping his head in a similar bow to hers. He smiled again, shifting his weight and resting his right leg in a bent position.

When he noticed her focus change his ears tipped in curiosity, what had she seen that caused her to frown? Her question quickly alerted him to what it was. She had noticed the scar and the fact he didn't want to rest his weight on that leg. He opened his mouth to respond that he was well when she extended the hospitality of the Edge. Now what was the edge...?

"I'm well, Romani. It's just an old wound that bothers me every now and then," he said, smiling slightly. "I would most appreciate the place to rest though, I've been walking for quite some time. However, I must ask. What's the edge? A territory of sorts?" he questioned, tipping his head slightly.

Romani

Romani’s lips quirked upwards once more, her eyes brightening. “The pleasure is mine, good Marius,” she said softly, then quieted down as he began to speak. Her gaze continued to flicker towards the scar that stained his golden hide, a wound that looked like it had been a painful one to receive… Idly she wondered just how he had come about getting such a wicked looking injury in the first place. Had he been a warrior in his old land? Or was it from some unfortunate event of his youth? Knowing better than to ask out of politeness, the Haflinger merely tipped her muzzle to the side, motioning back towards the way she had come.

“Then come and we will lead you there… The Edge isn’t terribly far, and we can take things slowly if you’d like. There’s no rush. Also, Marius, we even have doctors who can take a proper look at your wound?” Turning on her haunches to lead the way back to the World’s Edge, the warrior-mare continued to speak, occasionally glancing over her shoulder at the palomino stallion to ensure that he was following. “Yes, a territory of sorts… Here, in Helovia there are four herds; the World’s Edge, the Dragon’s Throat, the Windtossed Foothills, and the Aurora Basin… However, I fear you will learn well to stay away from the Basin. It’s home to a racist batch of unicorn’s who would rather impale you on their horns than readily speak to you.” As she spoke, Romani’s thoughts turned towards her mate, Xanthos. How grateful she was that he had escaped their clutches…

“Apparently not everyone that lives there is racist towards us equines or Pegasi, but I have yet to encounter any.” Aside from Xan, of course. “But… The Edge. It’s a lovely place to the west, and as its name suggests, stationed at the edge of Helovia, on the largest of cliffs bordering the ocean. There are many trees, which help keep the land cool, especially during this terrible heat. Our Queen, Mirage… She is a wonderful leader, who treats each and every one of us with respect and familiarity. We’re all family in the Edge; no one is ever truly alone.” Her words were spoken with truth, but there was an underlying sadness that coated the edges of her voice. For even though she was growing to love the Edge, her heart still yearned for the roving plains of the Foothills. That, however, was a dream better left forgotten. Her life in the Foothills was over, Romani knew, and the sooner she accepted it, the sooner she could move on with this new chapter in her life.

World's Edge Stallion
Raine
cellspacing="0">

He smiled lightly and started to follow after her, moving quickly for a second so that he could catch up and walk beside her. He listened to her speak, curiosity in his eyes as she spoke of the different herds and lands. His ears were cocked towards her so that he could catch every word, watching the ground to make sure that he didn't trip over anything.

His tail swished uncomfortably as she spoke of the racist Basin though, a frown tilting his lips down. "A pity that even here there is fighting and racism," he said with a light sigh. "In my old home, Isilme, there was plenty of fighting going on. I was born during a time of war, and so it was pretty much all I knew of the world until I left that land in search of a calmer one."

He listened to her speaking again, and his ears perked up. So not everyone there was racist against Equines and Pegasai? The thought was encouraging, perhaps one day the whole herd would be more welcoming to the other races. Maybe. Gods only know if it would eventually work out.

He picked up on the sad tone she carried in her voice and he fretted for a moment, curious as to why she was sad and uncertain if he could ask her. Would that be polite? Or would it be improper? He'd wandered alone by himself for so long he couldn't recall what the proper manners would be in this case. He was worried... so he should ask? Oh he might as well.

"You speak very fondly of the Edge, but you sound sad as well... do you mind terribly if I ask you why?" he questioned, turning his head to look at her.

"Speaking." | Thinking

Romani

“It is a pity,” Romani murmured softly in agreement to Marius’ statement. Racism was something that the Haflinger would never understand, and honestly, she hoped that she never would. One should never judge another based on their physical appearance… To her, it depended on the actions one performed, not what they were born with. That was a lesson she would firmly teach her daughter, once Jasiri was old enough to comprehend racism and hate.

Romani flashed the fellow palomino a gentle smile as he fell in step with her, and rose a curious brow at his mention of Isilme. While she had never entered or encountered the land during her life as a wandering gypsy, the stocky mare had heard the name many a times since entering Helovia. Where it was or what it was like, however, was beyond her… It was a shame that everyone spoke in the past about it. “Isilme, you said?” She asked, truly interested. “I have heard that name a lot since coming here… Others are from that land; perhaps you may find an old friend or two?”

Occasionally, as the two progressed through the forest and beginning their trek towards the Edge, Romani would glance back to ensure that Kasai was still following. While she never doubted that her beloved companion would wander off, the striped cub had a tendency to let her curiosity get the better of her. On more than one occasion, Romani had been forced to stop in the middle of what she was doing to simply go searching for the wayward cub... Little Kasai, however, still followed behind the two equines with a hop in her step, obviously in a rather good mood.

Turning her head back to face Marius, the mare’s previous smile faltered slightly. For a moment she hesitated, wondering if she should, or shouldn’t, tell him of what was going on. In the end, however, she decided to. He care seemed genuine, and who knows? Perhaps this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

“… I’m not originally from the Edge,” Romani said softly, picking her words carefully and ignoring how some of them left a bitter taste in her mouth, “When I first came to Helovia, I was taken in by the Foothills, where I dedicated my very life to protect. Unfortunately… Circumstances didn’t work well in our favor, and my home was invaded by a band of mercenaries.” Pausing, Romani’s crisp, azure eyes flicked towards Marius and a sad smile twitched her dark lips upwards. “I was unable to help my herd mates, due to the fact that I was pregnant at the time… Now, I live in the Edge, with my mate. I’m happy there, don’t get me wrong… I simply miss it.”

For a few, contemplative moments Romani remained lost in her thoughts, unsure what else she could say. Not wanting to bring her new friend down, however, she pushed passed the lingering sadness in her breast and smiled, truly smiled.

“Soon, Marius, we’ll be there… And you’ll be able to see the beauty of the Edge with your own two eyes.”

[ooc: If you’d like, you can make a post in the Edge to be accepted? :D And you can tag Romani, and I’ll post there with you, like they had just gotten there. Or I can post one, it doesn't matter. A Tier 2 member has to greet Marius to accept him, even though Romani’s bringing him home.]