the Rift

a lack of symmetry;

Valka Posts: 32
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 3
tay
VALKA

Morning broke open with the sound of hooves: skittering, then breaking brush and soft earth as a dark shape plummeted from drop to drop. Hard toes clattered over rock then met the green forgiveness of the underbrush, where branches snapped and cracked under their weight. Run, screamed an instinct baser than pride and stronger than courage. Run. The young mare’s nostrils quivered with the hard intake of breath. Her ribs pushed out against dark skin with every outward gush of air.
    She ran.

She ran until her tendons snapped hard over bone and under tired muscle. A wayward branch lashed out across her chest and drew blood: a warm, dark sticky trickle to answer the long scrape already decorating a high shoulder. As she moved, the trees clustered together and their shadows painted her black flanks blacker. New country, she thought, and her gait slowed. Tree trunks loomed close and she banked between them, tail plumed high over rump.
    As her momentum slowed, the mare’s brain picked up speed. She hopped a creek and slowed her shaking limbs. Safe, she ventured a guess. Perhaps… The silence of the mountain passes lay far back in memory, brought near only by the stinging prickle of the shoulder wound. Here, beneath the trees, white noise rushed and vibrated around her ears: birds, squirrels, muffled hooves… Hooves. The mare’s ears pricked up. Clumsy with strain, she thrust her nose near the spiny branches of a nearby tree and tasted someone strange on it, but someone of her kind. Intrigue seeped into the hollow left behind by a fading surge of adrenaline.
    ”I am not afraid,” she said aloud – the first words spoken in a long time, just a murmur in this massive den of noise and shadow. Trembling still, she cast a glance back at the broken path she’d left: easy to follow, frustratingly so. She let her ears slip back in warning. Nothing shall follow me, she thought, head high now, but the buzz of fear was near enough that she broke into an uneasy trot. Her body was not yet so used that it threatened collapse; she intended to push it until it did.

Sulwyn Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Sulwyn

what is this world we live in?

The crisp smell of flourishing fauna drifted to the silver mare's naves, accompanied by the earthy scent of dried dirt and damp moss. Her liquid gold orbs surveyed the area as her ears flitted this way and that, picking up on even the slightest sound. It was days like this that the femme felt most alive, like she was perfectly in tune with the world around her. It was a feeling that she had not been able to experience recently; the World's Edge was just too far away to make a daily trek to the Threshold worthwhile, not that the pure beauty of the realm wasn't worth such a journey.

What am I saying? I came here not too long ago in search of a party to welcome, although that would be making an excuse for my initial excuse to come here... And now all that I have accomplished is making myself confused. The mustang snorted in reply to her musings, not impressed with the logic that she was trying to convince herself with.

Pushing her short, charcoal legs through a group of ferns, the mare raised her gaze from the fan-like bushes to a quivering branch, streaked with crimson marks. As the equine drew nearer, the metallic scent of blood drifted over her, suddenly making all of her senses run off-kilter. Fighting to control her panic -- nostrils flared, eyes bulging and all -- Sulwyn forced herself to move past the saturated branch, careful not to brush her fur against it. Although her instincts told her that the smell of blood meant a predator was close by, the mustang knew that newcomers were very common in this region, so the presence of blood did not necessarily mean that there was any sort of threat in the area. Even if her reasoning was plausible, the petite fae was still on edge.

Following the path of crushed and downtrodden foliage, Sulwyn stopped short at the distant sight of a mare, her head held high in fright and her brow brandishing a gleaming weapon. She knew, form past experience, that a wounded horse was a horse that was quick to fight -- or flight -- and the smaller mare wasn't keen on the former. The glint of the sharp-edged horn didn't look like it would be very forgiving on her sun-marked hide.

Just to be safe, the grulla called out to the shadowy mare, "Is anything the matter, miss? Are you hurt? Stand still, and I will come to you."
ooc

Aurora Basin Mare
tay
VALKA

A crack: the sound of foliage underfoot, dry twigs betraying something large out in the forest. Quivering muscles bunched beneath dark hair. Flanks foamed with dry sweat drew taut, as Valka twisted to scour the trees with mismatched eyes. Something is here, she knew, and the buzz of fear roared suddenly to life in the back of her mind. Run - a nameless urge now shivered in her legs. She flexed back the dark points of her ears instead, and drew her lean frame to its full height.

”Is anything the matter, miss?” A voice slipped between the trees – unexpectedly just to the left. The edge to it was sweet, concerned. Still Valka startled, whirling dramatically to face the noise head on and thrusting her poll toward the cluster of scaled branches just above. The long spike of her single horn caught for just a moment – long enough that a soft rain of dead pine needles scattered over the mare’s back. Mouth agape, she hopped sideways, neck twisting as she wrestled her horn back from the tree. Trembling visibly, she hesitated and then turned to blink wide eyes in the direction of the voice. Yes, she thought bitterly. Everything is wrong.

”I am unharmed,” she called back. The longer she focused on the dance of light and shadows between the trunks, the more clearly the shape of a sooty mare appeared before her: quite a ways ahead, and waiting patiently. Valka paused to reiterate the stranger’s words to herself: stand still and I will come to you. At last, Valka nodded. ”I see you now. I was only… surprised.” Scared stupid, she thought, expression souring for just a moment. Even from a distance, the mare was clearly small – little bigger than a pony. The sound of her footsteps ought to have communicated that. I am a fool, thought Valka, sour now. A child lost in the woods.

As she waited for the mare to come within speaking distance, Valka cast a furtive glance around and sighed. Her body still shivered with exertion, but her pulse at least slowed so that the little noises of the forest reached her ears again. It was a vast, damp, lively place when she wasn’t careening through it at top speed. One ear tilted back in a frown, Valka cocked her head to examine the shallow wounds on her chest and shoulder. Considering her actions thus far, she supposed it might be wise to ride this child’s act until its end. ”I was in mortal danger,” she announced. ”An awful beast had concealed itself within the foothills, and tried to devour me. It seems I have escaped it, though.” She struggled to keep the pride from her voice – such a thing was certainly uncalled for now.

Unregistered

Sulwyn

Even as the hollow rattle of branches sounded above the mares' crowns, the shrieks and cries of the forest carried on in perfect harmony, uninterrupted. Sulwyn found that she was reacting in a similar way to her ignorant surroundings; her ashen legs did not buckle when the other struck out with her sword, and her steady gaze did not falter as a shower of needles fell all around. Boldness was not one of the mustang's most common traits, but she felt that stepping in for the lack of a grounding subject was the best thing for her to do. A shy and timid approach surely wouldn't help calm an aggravated beast.

"I am unharmed..." Came the exasperated reply, and the grulla consciously felt that her muscles relax at the unicorn's words. It reassured her to know that she wouldn't need immediate medical attention, because she was most definitely not a healer. Or anything, for that matter. The duo-toned mare wasn't given a chance to ponder over any future for herself, however, for the ebony mare had invited her to come closer.

"I see you now. I was only... surprised."

With a brief snort of disbelief at the flighty unicorn's words, Sulwyn set one charcoal foot in front of another, daintily brushing aside a cluster of foxgloves, and then continuing her trek to the startled mare. Now that she was up close to the creature, she was able to see clearly the billows of steam rising from her quivering flanks. Golden eyes ran over the tall beauty's body, quickly looking over her dampened neck and shaking legs, but pausing when they rested on her speckled barrel. The alabaster marks reminded the grulla of fallen snow, and she wondered momentarily if she would ever see such a thing at the Edge.

The grulla ran her orbs over the rest of the lean mare's body, determining that her wounds would not bring her to death's door, but hearing the words that followed the scan made Sulwyn think otherwise. "I was in mortal danger. An awful beast had concealed itself within the foothills, and tried to devour me. It seems I have escaped it, though." Casting a weary glance at the tendrils of foxglove and the other surrounding flora, the mare began to question the other's state of mind.

Was it the truth that flowed from those shadowed lips, or was it just some fantasy? Had the intelligible fae happened upon a wandering lunatic, or had said lunatic just received a fright? Neither speculation seemed to fit the situation, however, because upon closer inspection of the horned one's tone, the equine could pick out a hint of pride in her voice.

Was all of this just a game, then? Orbs that had just been looking to odd-colored ones now turned their attention to the scrapes that lined the mare's side and chest. She couldn't be as childish as that, surely! Who would purposefully get themselves hurt whilst playing a game?

In light of the foolish situation that the grulla suspected she had gotten herself into, there was still an injured horse in her presence and there was still the chance that she would return home with the towering child following. And maybe that was all she was: a dreadfully tall young child with a crooked horn that lacked all sense of symmetry. Not that the sun-marked mare was aged enough to label others as childish; she had been a young filly less than a year before herself.

As if to make up for the discriminating thoughts that had crossed her mind, Sulwyn let a small smile past her lips and murmured soothingly, "I am most glad that you made it out alive, then, miss. My name is Sulwyn, and I humbly welcome you to the lands of Helovia."

Aurora Basin Mare
tay
VALKA

Valka watched her shadow slant over the stranger’s small frame. Accustomed though she was to looking down her nose, Valka still found the sensation odd. This stranger blended well into the darkness – was she a practiced spy? Assassin? Scout? One with such a somber, dusty hue would be well-suited to pursuits of stealth. It would assuage Valka’s ego, too, to know she’d been surprised by a master of subterfuge and not some random, chunky little horse. The unicorn’s mind whirled fast away from the conversation at hand, though she picked over Sulwyn’s words quite carefully when next the grulla spoke.

”Helovia…” The word flowed over dark lips. Valka’s ears twitched back in some approximation of a frown. She wondered if perhaps Sulwyn meant something caustic by the words – not just a welcome, surely? Not for one like her? She hesitated for a moment longer, stammering on her own tongue. Perhaps things are different here, the thought occurred. I am no pariah. Foolish though she felt taking the dull greeting at face value, Valka had little other choice. She had no desire to alienate her first acquaintance in this place… Helovia. ”I am called Valka,” she said at last. Odd speaking the name to one who did not know it – did not know her. She could be anyone here, now. Anyone who ran from awful beasts and got their horn stuck in a tree.

Good feelings going cold, Valka nodded her head. ”I might ask,” she put forth slowly, and her strange eyes slid over Sulwyn’s face as she mulled through the question, ”what a one such as yourself is doing here? Do you make these trees your home?” She hoped for a no, of course. Trespassing on top of looking like a fool – her reputation would never recover. Going from witch-daughter to herd fool was no ascension; it was, if possible, the exact opposite.

Unregistered

Sulwyn

Listening to the maiden's words as she gave her name and mused over that of the lands she now stood in, the mustang found herself musing over her new find. Valka. Now that's a name that you don't hear too often. Not that I know many equines. It seems fitting, though. If I were to have a child that was as adventurous or as aggressive as she, Valka would be a fitting name. It was silly to think that the young mare knew anything about names at all. She hadn't witnessed many births in her old home -- she hadn't wanted to -- and therefore hadn't had the chance to witness any parents try to name their newborn children. Sulwyn had just been a filly herself then, and she was most certainly too young to think about children now. Or just too undesirable.

Her thoughts on children were quickly smothered when the horned fae asked if she lived among these very trees, earning the snow-dusted mare a tinkling laugh. "Sorry to disappoint you, but I live no where near here. I live about a week's journey from this forest, though." It was with slight hesitation that the silver mare offered, "I'm sure that my Queen would be happy to have you, if you'd like to accompany me there."

Sulwyn's raked her gaze across the lithe unicorn once more, trying to convince herself that having her join the Edge was a good thing. It was hard to do after she had spoken to the small horse about monsters chasing after her, but it was, after some inner debate, manageable.

Glancing at the twisted dagger resting upon its black crown, the grulla began to think about the damage that that horn was capable of. It could pierce the breast of oncoming enemies, which was a good thing, if there was war looming over the Edge; but that very horn could also stab the backs of her friends, and she was sure that this bi-colored mare was capable of treachery, if she wished it. She could only hope that Valka would show an obedient side; one that the branded mare could learn to trust. "Just know that traitors will not be tolerated inside the boundaries of our land, although newcomers are always welcome."

Aurora Basin Mare
tay
VALKA

The little mare proved quick to dispel Valka’s illusions. A week’s journey, Valka thought to herself. Her ears pricked at the mention of a queen. ”And who is your queen?” she asked on the heels of that statement. ”What is she like?” These things were among the most important. Valka would never bow to some dull creature, and though Sulwyn seemed tolerable she did little to recommend her home – except, perhaps, to act with a modicum of respect. Valka weighed that in her mind.

Of course, while the unicorn weighed her options, she felt Sulwyn’s eyes measuring her, too. Such scrutiny reminded her – with almost painful urgency – of the proud horn cresting her head. I should not consent to a life among the common things, she thought. They could not understand her, though their company may be a great temptation after months of wandering alone. Something deep inside her ached, though she wasn’t sure why – she had always been quick with decisions. Perhaps she was growing wiser.

”Just know that traitors will not be tolerated inside the boundaries of our land, although newcomers are always welcome,” threw in the equine mare unnecessarily – and earned a sudden, hearty frown. Valka’s ears flipped back as a sudden flare of temper burned within her chest. ”And do I look a traitor?” she demanded. ”Because I wear a horn upon my head? Because I am not a small, dull, common beast lacking imagination? I am no monster, and I will not tolerate to be treated as one!” Nostrils flaring, Valka stamped a hoof and lowered her head unconsciously – not enough to bring the horn to bear, but enough to protect the smooth curve of the windpipe under her jowl. ”I came to this land in search of family,” she huffed, ”a place I might be welcomed. Understood. Instead I am insulted with vague threats!” Trembling once more, though not with fear, she tossed her head and snorted. Hurt gleamed in her strange eyes, though she refused to admit the fact - even to herself. "Perhaps I am best served continuing my search - alone," huffed Valka at last.

Unregistered

Sulwyn

Before Sulwyn had been given the chance to speak of her queen, the hulking figure of the unicorn suddenly lashed out, and the whole world turned to chaos. Her golden eyes widened with fright at the severity of the ebony vixen's words. A tremor ran through her stout body, forcing her legs to shake uncontrollably. All sense of caution and calm was washed out from the young equines silver form, and was quickly being replaced by fear and anger. Fright for what the other beast was threatening to do with the slight lowering of her horn, and anger for how she was being treated. Sulwyn had welcomed her to this realm, had she not? She had -- if not vaguely -- invited this creature to come into her home, and her subtle warning was certainly not directed straight at the vixen... Or had it been? The sun-branded mare thought back to what she had said exactly -- what she had thought when saying it, even -- and came to the conclusion that her words had indeed had some other meaning behind it.

Desperate to make amends to what she had said earlier, the docile creature managed to squeak, "Perhaps you are best served to continue searching by yourself, but what I said earlier was just a warning. Our queen is a fair leader. She is brave in battle; kind in loss; forgiving to those who deserve it. Mirage is a wonderful maiden to serve under, but I know that she will not be so kind towards one who cannot keep their temper in check." Sulwyn raised her hardened gaze to meet with Valka's furious one, unflinching even when the trembling vixen tossed her head back. She knew now why she had been so hesitant before; why she had been so reluctant to offer the Edge as a residence for the dark unicorn. There was no way in hell that the silvery mare was going to give up her home to such a dangerous beast.

Her voice, that had once chimed with tinkling bells of welcome, now sounded cold and desolate. Although she was stern now in nature, her heart still beat sadly at the sight of the wounded mare, and at the thought of returning home all by her lonesome. "My offer still stands, miss Valka, and I promise you that you will find a family in our herd. This can be put behind us, if you'll let it, and I will not inform the Dragonheart of your previous behavior." A spark of hope ignited inside the vixen's seclusive and shadowy chambers as she waited for the unicorn's final answer.

Aurora Basin Mare
tay
VALKA

Valka lingered still though instinct told her go. The anger shuddering through her tired frame was raw, but the need running just as hot beneath it pinned her down. She listened in impatient silence as Sulwyn described the queen of the Edge – one who, at face value, sounded near ideal. Valka’s ears twisted in frustration; how could she know how much of it was true? How welcome she might really be? Another jab, less vague than the first, hung on the end of Sulwyn’s latest words. Valka answered with a sneer. You are small, she thought. And ugly, and untruthful. She should never have expected more from someone so unlike her, so… common. Ugliness ran through the nature of all ugly things.

”I find I am no longer concerned with how your Dragonheart thinks of me,” snapped the unicorn. She held her head still high, and gazed down her long nose at Sulwyn. ”Whatever dangers yet await me in the world, I do not fear them more than I fear blackening my name by making coarse, unworthy friends. So… I think this is goodbye.” For a moment, Valka tilted her long face and gazed in silence at the smaller mare – so recently a welcome sight, and now only an irritant. Perhaps there would be many others like her in this land. Perhaps there would be other lands far past this… Valka could not know. She only knew this marked an important decision, and she would not allow herself to be tied down again.

With an agitated flick of her tail, the big mare swept past Sulwyn and deeper into the woods, her footsteps heavy. I am not a child, she told herself, ears sweeping back. I will find my own way. Foolish as she felt, she must believe her path correct – or else run back and beg.

I do not beg, she thought too. Or regret.

Unregistered

Sulwyn

A lingering blanket of remorse remained fixed upon the mustang's silver shoulders, even as she turned her head to leave. She had been determined to help this poor creature -- to give her a home -- but then her words had become tainted with double-edged meaning to them and she had sent the whole idea into chaos. Maybe it was just her own sheltered life that made her so awkward in reaching out to others. Maybe it was the fact that she was no longer comfortable in her own skin? Whatever the reasons for her unforgivable actions, there was still a home for her to return to, and it was quickly growing dark.

Perhaps another day, my dear were the quiet thoughts that seeped past the heavy walls that had been set up inside her mind. You will find a home.

As the fae turned from the already departing unicorn, her sun-marked flank brushed past the stalks of foxglove, causing one bell-shaped flower to fall to the earth. Sulwyn paused at the rustling sound of leaves, one foreleg slightly bent in anticipation to return to the Edge. Her sad gold eyes looked down at the ground, raking their glistening gaze across it until they found the shadowed pink petals they had been looking for.

A sigh escaped from the mare as she pressed one charcoal hoof down on the decapitated head of the bud, putting it out of its misery. It seemed that that was all that she was capable of nowadays; making others fall, and then sweeping by to snuff out the flames.

In a moment of despair the equine called forth a ring of levitating orbs, no longer bothered by their presence in her current moody state. She absentmindedly had the ring circling around her chest and withers, providing an eerie purple light to guide her way through the hushed forest.
{Sulwyn, OUT>}