the Rift

Refracted Emotion

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
[Image: Rishheader.jpg]
There was not enough cold in the world to kill the fire sparked within my breast.

Dark hooves carried me away, north, towards cold, towards something that might quell my increasingly incensed mind. Within me, a storm of white heat raged. Passion. Fury. Fire. Embers shifted, blown, ignited; the gentle, constant coals that sat at the base of my soul piled high with fuel, until at last they could not but catch fire and burn, burn, burn in a frenzied blaze that threatened to destroy the carefully constructed calm I so easily donned. It rested gently upon my shoulders, my shroud of halcyon, a comfortable cloak of shade and cool. My shield. My disguise. I stood ensconced behind the facade of indifference, letting the outside world see little more than a glimmer of refracted emotion allowed to escape through narrow fissures, uninvited and unmonitored.

Yet there were times when a the outside world would perforate my carefully maintained demeanor. A crack became a tear, and a tear evolved into a gaping hole, a cruel laceration from which raw, sickly emotion bubbled and welled, seeping into the world like a viscous poison, slowly threatening to overtake me, to weave its venom into my words, drag its claws through my mind and ride cackling upon my thoughts. Visceral, vengeful, inconsiderate, it would begin as an itch I could not scratch, a pricking at the base of my cerebral cortex, a spasm of the shoulder I could not subdue.

The force of my movements was telling, the arcs imprinted by thunderous hooves into dry and dusty earth too deep, too staunch against a backdrop of dried grasses and musty stone. Each beat upon the earth propelled me forward, further and further, fast and ignorant of surroundings, of followers, of day or night. Only the ardent press of welling emotion against the back of my skull directed me, the desire- nay, the need for release guiding me like the strings of a marionette. And oh, how I loathed it, the controlling grip of a diseased mind, the poignant medley of sorrow and disgust, of doubt and desire, of rejection and want.

Motions are shaky, spindly legs skid to a stop; at last, I found myself on ground that would not balance me, treacherous ice atop exposed stone, grooves and ruts snaking across its crystalline surface, wells of chilled, stagnant water resting within flawed claws of dirty ice. Lungs expanded, contracted, pulling painfully at my ribcage as though seeking to mangle the delicate musculature which held my body in place. Quivers shook the sinewy frame as wind would a tree. Exhaustion clawed at my body, while energy worked to breach the carefully constructed beams of sanity that still held my mind in place.

A few more steps; they were all I needed. A touch more control, a dash of restraint, and I would find myself beneath the frozen arch. Just a little more. Just a little closer.

The sudden change in temperature buffeted me, crisp and frozen air as welcome as my mother's embrace would have been, my father's blazing affection. Voraer. Anei. Damn it, why did I think of them? Induced by the memory of my deceased parents, the remnants of my calm began to crumble. Frantic, needy, I clung to the fragments of my cloak, willing myself to relax, to reign in the impending onslaught, the self-inflicted torment. I suffered, I fought, and there was nobody who knew, nobody who saw. A fierce battle raged behind onyx eyes, and the tears won, and suddenly they were there, the deluge of saline that could not be stopped. All I had, now, was time.

Defeated, I felt my knees give. Mass shifted against the glacial wall, dislodging small icicles and absorbing deliquesced crystal like a chill blanket. The shock of the ice upon my belly was numbed by the agony of my perturbed mind; indeed, I welcomed the feeling, relishing the sharp pain. It dulled my thoughts. It helped me forget.

Forget that I was alone.

I was so long alone.

Minutes dragged by, seconds leaving the strain of hours; the tears stopped, and dried, and soon there was no sign of my turmoil but the prone pose I maintained. With the release of my tribulation, I regained the ability to stretch my thoughts, to reflect on the stupidity of my actions, my thoughts, my feelings. How long had it been, since I had an episode of this magnitude? Not since coming to Helovia - what foolishness, then, that I should be struck down now! I had thought myself above such weakness, had found security in the facade of calm detachment so easily donned. Abhorrence clamored against my mind, fury and disdain for my own malaise. I loathed myself for this, for the emotion that ruled me in these wild moments, for the defective nature of my own brain. I despised it, my loneliness, yet it seemed I could entice none but my siblings to stand beside me... and even they were too busy with their lives to note the turmoil that destroyed me. Selfish, I was selfish for wanting them to care, yet I could not suppress the desire. It gnawed within me, fighting my fears, and neither could win. So long had I been alone, that I did not realize how deeply I yearned for closeness until I discovered I could not have it - not the way my siblings did. Mirage had Akaith, and Vikram, and her Qian; the twins had each other; I had...

A name pops into my head, and a bright figure of burnt mahogany - why? Why did I torment myself with the memories of what I could have had, the memories of what I failed to hold on to? Friendship, love, I pushed it away. It was no wonder I found myself alone now. Who in their right mind would stay by my side long enough to discover something worth loving?

Angry, brooding, I lay upon the frozen ground, crown nestled against curled forelegs, tail lashing impetuously at bent hocks, colliquated water the only sound in the frozen blue.

Drip, drip, drip.

[ ooc || Uh, open if anyone wants it. Sorry for long angsty!Rishi post ]

[Image: Rishifooter.jpg]

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

Such foolish things, these energies that drove one to behave in ways they could have otherwise controlled. I knew such things existed, and I knew that they were powerful, powerful enough to distort one’s view on the world – powerful enough to defeat the strongest warrior, or give mobility to a cripple. These emotions were dangerous things, and that those who laid claim to my bloodline knew more than most about their dangers – that is why we trained so hard to control them.

My defence, an impassive wall of apathy, sometimes misconstrued as coldness or disinterest, but if it were anything else than who knew what dangers would roll forth from my countenance on the whim of any given emotion. Within my breast there stoked a fire, a raging inferno that sometimes peeked out through my golden irises, oftentimes finding escape in Akaith’s hunting forays, however. It was all about keeping them at a level to control, letting off steam to reduce the pressure that builds up over time was normal, healthy for us.

My brothers, though they had each other, found it difficult to keep their equilibrium, even when the other was present to act as a buffer. They were so polar opposites that to see one of them unhinged could have dire consequences – the foul temperament of Madyrn was only sometimes controlled by the cooler quietness of Maskan, and should Maskan get lost amongst his shadows too long, it took great effort for the fiery sibling to light his way once more.

The sister we loved and cherished beyond all else was another matter entirely. Her mask was a varying act, something I could never accomplish, though my own façade was a soft of act, hers seemed to drop hints of the secrets she held within. I was ashamed of myself for not knowing everything about her, I hated that time had separated us for so long, that I could not spend every waking moment by her side. But I would still try, and we would always be sisters.

My glorious queen, you are hunting today, and though it takes your shapely bodice physically far from mine, your mind still grates against my own, I always do enjoy the sensation of never being alone – I am fortunate indeed, that fateful day that I found your egg, and protected it until you hatched for me. Sometimes I admit I grow to take your presence for granted, I forget even the bond that is now so a part of me I would surely die without it. Even so, I am still prone to feeling those dreaded waves of grief at unwanted solitude.

But today is different, there is no grief stirring within my breast, only simple plain curiosity for the happenings of the realm. You know full well that knowledge is all I yearn for, but even that today is less than usual. My neat blackened hooves take me to cooler climates, it makes sense to in this drought, and unknowingly I follow the scent of my beloved sister, Rishima.

It is upon the damp, soft loam of the Archway that Mirage pauses, her nostrils flared, her ears capturing the sound of a chassis meeting the ground. Through the Arch she walks, deeper in, concern now swelling up within her, though her visage remained blank, cool, not knowing what to expect it was better to have her guard up just in case. The lashing of tendrils against skin and dirt was rhythmic, the melting walls of the Arch adding to the strange beat – Mirage’s own footfalls falling somewhere amongst them all and twisting the melody to be one of the traveller she had become.

Pupils dilated to absorb the surroundings with more ease in the lesser light, and the pale outline of mane and tail, as well as the crescent shape curve upon the rump of the mare became more than just hints of her whereabouts. A deep nicker rolled from her gullet, but the shadowy one could detect the anger with ease – how many times had they seen their father give in to his anger? Or Madyrn fly off on a tantrum only to collapse in a heap afterwards? It hadn’t been so long ago that Mirage herself had felt the effects of their family’s tumultuous temperament, she was simply glad that it had been her to find her sister during this rare slip of one’s guard.

She said nothing, for the silence was more than enough, and walked a small circle about her sister, her presence as dark as any shadow, and as subtle as one too. Like her brothers would be a buffer for each other, these sisters could certainly do the same. Rishima had arrived during Mirage’s time of need, a time where her emotions had given way to a dangerously flirtatious dance, a time when her emotions certainly did try to instruct Mirage to perform far different things than the intricate steps she had woven that evening.

Mirage only hoped she could do the same for her sister.

Merakerr Posts: 24
World's Edge Philosopher
Mare :: Other :: 3 ft :: 6
Kachie
Tears had fallen, thought unheard, yet it was not so. A pale figure rested on the slick ice, fur and feathers dampened by the snow that had partially melted in the unseasonal heat. Moisture that had refrozen within her circle of cold, save where her own body heat kept those feathers and bits of fur wet. Golden osprey eyes had witnessed the dark mare wander below, within the arch of ice, and ears had heard emotion escape. She'd thought to retreat, but knew her wings were not quiet enough to allow a private venting to remain undisturbed. So she'd waited instead, listening quietly, until another appeared, darker than the last, who also ventured within the arch during the lull after the tears.

There was some silence then, in which she stirred and rose. Gave thought toward retreating again, then decided she was more interested in investigating these horses. Seeing for herself what had disturbed the mare. So instead of flight, she paced forward and leapt down. A soft thump betrayed her presence as her lean frame touched down on cold ground. A long tail, thick and fluffy, swayed in the air as her head turned to gaze within the icey cave. The mares were dark shadows against the blue-tinted ice, larger than she but not by too much.

Careful footsteps carried her closer, wary of defensive behavior in either. Wings were tightly folded, feathers slicked down and tail low while ear tufts twitched forward, adding emphasis to the curious expression in her surprisingly expressive eyes. Strides away she stopped, sat, and curved that long tail around paws and talons. Then she waited, for another to break the wordless silence.

Harsh and jagged flinch tears through my muscle as her hooves echo through the chasm, a sudden wave of fury surging through my veins, making me hot, hot, so hot with irrational anger and something else, something even worse. Envy. She was everything I could not be.

She had everything I wanted.

I knew it was her, and I knew that she had arrived because she sensed my need, and it only hurt more. Her dulcet nature, her pure affection; sharp as daggers, the kindness she would offer prematurely slashed through the musculature of my heart, swords of mephitic solicitude that stung more fiercely for my blooming desire to reach out and take her comfort. I longed to hold her, and yet I shuddered at the idea of her sympathy. I would be strong for my little sister, not let her see me cocooned in despair. I loathed that she should find me like this, and I loathed myself more for my inability to contain the pain.

Even as Mirage circled round to where I stared, aimless, I shifted away. So wild were the suddenly rekindled emotions within my breast, I could not bear to look at her, to let her see the depth of sorrow in my eyes. Her shadowy presence weighed against me, and I tightened myself, drawing away, flush against the frozen wall as though seeking to delve into it. Perhaps the heat of my temper could ravage the molecules of the ice around me and forge a hole in which I might vanish.

Childish thoughts, childish emotion. And yet I clung to the anger, for as long as I remained shrouded in that, I would not be able to mourn. The memories of one loved pressed harsh against my mind, the idea of the loneliness that awaited me outside this frozen cave a cold and perilous gnaw against my growing control. A deep breath is taken, the frozen air burning against my lungs, the excruciating thrill of ice flowing down my swollen throat somehow satisfying. Muscles relaxed, slightly; mind fluid now, expanding back into the embrace of Mirage, but tentatively. Despite some amount of regained control, I remained volatile. I let my face move, search, and rest upon the ice, the bite of frigid atmosphere pleasant against my the flush of my cheek.

The soft thud of footfalls breaks my distracted concentration, forcing me into abrupt movement. Form shifts onto bent knees even as the winged cat slinks into view, straightening into a dizzy stand. Legs wobble, threatening to throw me back onto the cold ground even as the world spins around me; I stumble, catch myself, righten. Eyes and brain connect, the throbbing against my cranium eases, and now I am caught in the awkward expanse of emptiness that follows one of my breakdowns. I want to say something, to shatter the stupor of brooding misery I have set myself in, and yet my tongue lies heavy and useless against my gums. Instead, I wait, still resentful of the defensive stance Mirage has taken, yet somehow aware that I would be grateful for her presence once my anguish drifted away. I wish to apologize, for what I know not. For letting myself be seen like this? For forcing them to witness my anguish? For not being good enough, never being good enough? And yet all of these things are beyond my control, and I know it, and it infuriates me that I cannot make everything right.

A great weight of sorrow settles upon my shoulders, and my gaze drifts back to the bright spot of open sky that lies beyond the lip of the cave. Irises softened by tears direct themselves towards the gryphon again, light slowly edging back into their dark depths, and suddenly I laugh, harsh and self-depricating and just too on edge. For what else was I to do? The situation is so comical, Mirage and I and a predatory gryphon who perhaps saw us as a tasty morsel. It is only a brief explosion of mirthless noise, lulling quickly back into silence as I shift my gaze towards the melting ceiling, blinking as a droplet lands directly on my nose. "Lovely day, isn't it?" is murmured at last, bitter and coarse vocals fighting against condensation to make their way into the stagnant air, eyes clenched gently against the shame of my emotion, tears once more threatening to escape from darkened orbs. The words are offered to the ice as much as Mirage or the gryphon, the child of an urgent need to escape this oppressive quietude. I shake my head, gently, and shift my weight, suddenly full of anxious energy. I needed to flee, to run, to fight, to laugh - anything, before the next onslaught of feeling threw me deeper into my pit of writhing depression.

The way she curls away from me is to be expected, I know too well that the urge to hide within one’s own prison of emotions to be overbearing. She was not to be blamed for what she felt, for we who claimed the Path to be our birthland were all cursed with these overwhelming feelings, it was to be expected, that like lava in a volcano, the pressure of their sheer magnitude and force need be expressed every so often – not always in the form akin to the imagery of a volcanic eruption, of course. Rage and anger were emotions my brothers usually dealt with, even the one as shadowy as myself, Maskan, found himself prey to our father’s foul temper – my sister and I were certainly capable of feeling the crimson caress of rage, but it often began as something else. Emotions were never static, they changed and evolved, and as I watched my sister quiver I knew that my presence had brought upon her a new onslaught of feeling, though what it was I could only guess.

My own façade remains obscure, though my mask is hardly required in the shadowy cavern, but my golden eyes roam her form, watching the different shudders of her body as a new thought or emotion touched her beautiful consciousness. I was saddened that there was little more I could do, for now, I knew my touch would inspire her to only withdraw further away from me this early on. That jealousy might have been one of the emotions she felt would not have bothered me if it had come from a stranger; I had worked for everything I gained in life, I was grateful for what I had been given and often surprised at the generosity of others, but I never felt completely undeserving of my gifts. But the envy of my status had not come from just a stranger; this was my sister before me.

Once again, it was merely a guess, for my little moonbeam was as gifted as I in hiding her true feelings, and in the darkness I could only catch glimpses of what might be lurking beneath the surface of her chiselled features, perceptive and familiar with her that I was. Emotions were fickle like that, however, they took one little guess and convinced one’s own mind that such a thing might be true, and suddenly, my mind was awash with thoughts of scorn, hatred, malice and defensiveness, not for my sister, but at her. I turned my eyes away then, to allow the depths of the cave to be my gaze’s new target, and to also hide the shame that rolled about me for allowing such things to even begin within. Like putting out a match with damp fingers, I swiftly quelled and controlled the unreasonable emotions rioting within, and recomposed myself, for her.

A scent, subtle in the chilled and crisp air, penetrated the senses of the maiden then, previously undetected, the raven one’s posture shifted to place herself before her sister, who was gingerly rising upon shaky legs. Arabianesque ears tilted this way and that, listening to the curious footsteps, trying to decipher what they belonged to before the avian-feline came into view. Mirage knew well what was a predator and what was not, she had lived long enough, and evaded long enough, those who might eat her, those who were certainly capable of it. And this was would have been capable of it, with her sharpened talons and claws, and strong muscles bunching all through her. But it was her eyes that Mirage focussed upon, though she knew that to be a foolish thing – often getting trapped in the gaze of a predator meant you were going to fall as its prey.

But the eyes of this one held no intent, no malice, no tension. They were soothing, calming, focussed and yet detached. She was wary, for a good predator would be able to act these things out, to trap their prey. But then a predator would not sit back on their haunches and wrap their tail about their form as if to settle down and watch a show. Laughter almost caused the mare to jump out of her skin, but she controlled the prey-like urge, instead throwing a swift glance at her sister, who seemed still out of sorts but at the very least, standing once more. Mirage took a moment more to reach out with her maw and touch the feverish hide of her sister, as if trying to absorb all the negativity away from her, to restore some semblance of normality (well, normality for this family) to her troubled mind.

“Certainly is.” Her quiet voice responded, detachedly, to the odd statement-question Rishima had thrown seemingly at random to the innards of the cave. It was but a handful of seconds since her gaze had left the gryphon, and it swivelled back to its snowy hide now. “Hail, creature of winter,” though Mirage could not detect the magic that caused the atmosphere to remain so cool around them, she referred to the creature as such because of the gentle hints of snowy patterning across her hide. Had she seen the bird-cat outside of the cave, she might have appreciated the subtle beauty of her more. As it was, in this situation, she was going to be careful. “I apologise if we have intruded, madam.”

World's Edge Philosopher
Kachie
Quietly, patiently, she waited. Waited for first impressions to be made on her initial appearance, then re-evaluated when she did naught but sit and watch them. Watched and considered. They were similar, these dark colored mares. Not exact, no. There was differences in build, in coloration, but certain aspects about the way they behaved spoke to her of kin. And she of all others would know about being kin with those who were drastically different in appearance.

The air was charged here, filled with energies that spoke of emotions suppressed. Emotions that simmered until they boiled over. Which explained greatly of the discombobulated state of the one marked with white.

"Indeed," she murmured in response to the distraught one's words. Her head tilted slightly as she watched the other, the one who seemed most likely to behave unpredictably. "Hail, Ssshadow-sssissterrsss." Beak gaping slightly in an avian grin, she flicked her tail briefly. Being called a creature of winter amused her immensely. Granted, this was incredibly accurate considering her build and coloration, not to mention the aura of cold that was forever wrapped around her. But she'd always considered herself one of sea and sky and snow. Not winter. And these two... what else could she refer to them as but shadows?

"Yourr prresssence botherrsss me lesss than yourr thoughtss and feelingsss botherr you." An ear tuft flickered as she paused, allowing her way of speaking to settle on their ears and be understood. "It isss not healthy to keep it all inssside. Helpsss to vent what isss bad forr mind and sssoul just like one ventsss what isss bad forr the body." It was a simple wisdom, passed from sire and dam to offspring and forever down the line. And there was a look in her eyes that suggested that secretly she thought it foolish to do otherwise. "Harrd to watch out forr onesss morre interresssted in blood than converrsssation when one'sss attention isss inssside."

At which point she stretched lazily and lay down upon the ground, forelimbs crossed and held close to her body so that fluffed feathers covered them. "Lucky I keep the blood-thirrsssty onesss away frrom wherre you horrsssesss tend to gatherr. Did the sssame in Isssilme when I lived therre. Stupid norrthenerrsss did not learrn to avoid the onesss whossse magic could give them a bad day." Mildly she regarded them, gaze drifting from one to the other. It mattered not to her than these two were likely much, much older than she was. It was, in her experience, irrelevant as to whether or not one had garnered wisdom from the experiences of those who came before. And besides, the horses battled more often than her kin did. Wisdom couldn't be passed on when the young and old alike died like mayflies.

I could feel the tension that suddenly gripped her, and I could sense when she chased it away, and it only served to force me deeper into myself.

She probably hates you. Everyone else does.

That's stupid. I'm better than this.

Are you?

The mental debate raging constant through the numb of my mind, I ignore it in favor of watching the discourse between shadow and gryphon. She is so much more aware of our surroundings, my little Mirage, caution in her voice where I exhibited none. I berate myself mentally, dark caverns slashing back against ebon skull. Had it been I alone, the potential of a predatory attack would not have mattered... perhaps, even, the slash of claws across my chest, the thrill of a struggle for survival... would I welcome it? To feel something other than dead, to drag myself from the chains of my own despair; the idea appealed to a more morbid corner of my mind.

The foreign accent of the gryphon's lucid tones draws me away from my brooding, and for the first time I let my eyes focus on her, actually processing the strange creature before me. In the dim and eerie lighting, I vaguely recognized the leopard patterning on her rump. Avian forequarters, while also familiar, speak of bloodlines I cannot place. She was a decent size, not quite large enough to pose a threat to the both of us, but had I been on my own the odds might be tipped. I found it interesting, the claws of a bird she boasted in front; I had seen few of these creatures over my wanderings, but the pride I encountered demonstrated a far more feline nature.

For the first time since I found myself in this infernal cavern, my curiosity has resurfaced.

I shift uncomfortably as she begins her lecture, gaze shifting back to the circle of illumination marking the entrance to this infernally cold cavern. A flinch as the melting ceiling pellets my rump with plump droplets; spasms run through my figure, a shiver that travels from flank to shoulder. "It is hard to vent when you're not sure what is inside." Bland and colorless, my voice rebuffs her ideas of speaking; I have no interest in trying to explain the tumultuous emotions that every moment threaten to spill back across my mind. Indeed, I have reached a familiar point in my emotional meltdown - silence.

Emptiness threatens to consume me, and I threaten to let it.

The gryphon speaks again; I turn back to her, eyes still distant but now oh-so-slightly amused. Her apparently vigilante protection of we equines is both entertaining and touching - does she really think us so weak? "Seems like a good way to make enemies of your kind," I remark distantly; and then: "Why do you choose to guard us?" Vaguely, I reflect on the nature of my questions - an attempt to distract attention away from myself. I wonder if the gryphon will catch on. Even more, I wonder what Mirage will do.

Mirage. My dear sister. How have I hurt you, with my weakness and disquietude. Subtly, silently, I sidestep, seeking her shadowy figure with my own, both to give comfort and receive it. I nip weakly at her nape, forehead lingering against the warmth of her body, an attempt to convey that it's okay. I'm okay. Thank you. I love you.

The mare listened intently, not least because she had to concentrate to comprehend the accented tones of the gryphon, but also because the details in the creature’s words were of great interest. A single brow tilted a mere couple of millimetres as scepticism dared to cross her façade in a shadowy hint of expressed emotions. But it was slight, and the mare berated herself not for showing it, but for feeling it at all; she knew better than to doubt the freely offered wisdom of others. At the same time, not all wisdom fitted all situations. This creature knew not of their family, or their volatile conflictions that arose from the blood which coursed through their veins. Though Rishima was technically not biologically related, she was raised by the same, and Mirage knew that she was as much her sister as her brothers were her their brothers.

The conversation seemed to pull Rishima from her funk, the old, familiar thirst for knowledge relighting behind those dark, fathomless eyes. The charred mare accepted her touch with easy forgiveness, she couldn’t help the guilt of suspecting her own actions, though unrelated directly to Rishima, might have been like salt to the freshly sliced wound for the moonlight maiden. There was more to it, she knew, and she would get to the bottom of it one day; soon. Silently, she knew she would probably require Akaith’s presence if she ever wanted to pry anything from her sister. But she would get there. Rishima spoke of not knowing what was inside her, and it was a sensation Mirage knew not exactly had to react. She had experienced the unknown caress of true, deep and unrequited love before, and wondered at its power, before recognising it and lavishing it upon her now soulmate, the draconic Vikram. But everything else, she had always been able to identify, control, change.

Except for that one time…

“This is how we vent.” Dryly she spoke, informing the bird-cat with tones that were neither rude nor all-knowing, merely factual. “They churn within us, every day is a struggle to control what could destroy not only ourselves, but those around us.” A wistful tone angled her words, the truth behind them thick in the air. Why she felt inclined to reveal such things to this beast she would never know, and she longed for Akaith’s presence to give her that extra angle on the situation. But she did not send the summons to her dragon, who was happily fortifying her nest for her clutch of eggs, though their laying and subsequent hatching was still months away yet. Controlling her emotions had become easier, she reflected, since Akaith’s burning soul became bonded to her own.

Once again she listened as the gryphon spoke of being their guardian, and then again of Isilme. But her beloved sister voiced the query that had almost formed in her own mouth, such was their similarity, and so she merely seconded the question with a polite, interested gaze continually watching the creature. Unawares that she did so, she found herself drawn closer to the snowy leoparded avian, tiara lowered to allow their sights to be on equal planes.

World's Edge Philosopher
Kachie
It took only a few spoken words to have their undivided attention, which left the young gryphon highly amused. Clearly, they were not used to having anyone like her talking to them. Golden hawk's eyes watched them intently, pupils wide against the darkness. She had no owl's vision, but her sight was still good enough to pick up the nuances of their movements. Even the little ones that might have gone unnoticed by one who did not have a lingering concern in the back of their mind that the one they were speaking to might attack instead of listen. She could never be sure upon approaching a horse if they would be open to her overtures or not, and she would never expect them to be anything but wary at the very least.

"Ssso do not ussse the ssspoken worrd, Ssshadow-sssisssterr. Have you not hearrd one sssay that actionsss ssspeak louderr than worrdsss? If it upsssetsss you, ssspend that enerrgy on sssomething that will not bite back. You do not need to know the name of the emotion to know it doesss not make you happy." It was quite simple to her, and she did not understand why they did not see the wisdom in this. The other one tried to explain in dry tones, and she flicked her tail in disdain. "You do not embrrace what isss inssside, and fight it. Yourr sssisssterr is prresssent prroof that sssuch an outlook is dessstrructive to herrself. While ssshe crried, any hungrry prredatorr would have made an easssy meal of herr and ssshe would not have noticed until theirr clawsss and fangsss were in herr flesssh." This too she saw as simple truth. She had been a silent witness to the blind and hurried path the white-marked one had made on her way to this cave within the ice. A pack of wolves or a hungry bear could have stepped into her path and she would have blundered right into them.

But then they turned the conversation to herself, and the gryphon fluffed her feathers. "I do not sssocialize with the norrtherrnerrs. They are vile sssavagesss concerrned with nothing but mating and hunting. I do not eat what they do, ssso they leave me be. Until sssome young male trriesss to take me asss hisss mate, and I do not apprrove of them. Ssso they have no luck in that rregard." Her beak clacked once, expressing her distaste of the subject clearly. "Asss to why I guarrd you? The Woodlandsss in Isssilme accepted me asss one of them, brriefly. I apprreciate having converrsssation that doesss not cirrcle arround bloody land-meat orr mating." This time her tail lashed and her ear tufts flicked back, before she resumed her calm and relaxed pose. Being expressive was second nature to her, being of a species and clan where body language was so vital to survival. How else could a hunting pair decide on a target while aloft? How else would youngsters express themselves to their siblings and parents without having to fall back on lengthy talking? She knew this held true amongst herds of horses as well. A warning against danger was more effective when you could alert others of that danger before it became aware of you. And a simple squeal or a neigh could convey more than a string of words that took exponentially more time to say the same.