Stranger in my Reflection [Open]

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

Ru</style>

soft to the touch.</style>

Where is Raeden?

Pale hooves touched the dry grass uncertainly, as if fearing it would bite her. It made her feel anxious and wrong to be away from the shadows of the forest where she felt she belonged. It wasn't like she didn't see the world- Rae dragged her out often enough after all. Though Hotaru had to admit that most of the time she didn't ever want to leave, and in fact only followed to make sure her twin was safe. But more often than not, Raeden would slip away from her and their mother without a sound and come back when she wanted to. This drove Hotaru to near panic attacks, knowing how arrogant and senseless her twin could be at times. Ru had always sworn to herself that she would be there for Rae, always ready to protect her. Hotaru would rather be hurt than have Raeden receive even a scratch on her perfect pelt. Though she may not like pain, and was a very quiet soul, she had the stubborn side of her parents pinned within her heart. It was the side of her that sometimes hated Rae- for her attitude, her cruel words that often stung Hotaru even further than the sad display she normally put on. Ru knew that her twin was perfect, and loved her enough that she often only stroked Raeden's ego.

Despite her conflicting emotions, Hotaru managed to keep those thoughts at bay most of the time. But with so much time in her own thoughts, not being an adventurer like Raeden, it was hard not to grow a bit bitter. So instead she tried to scour the places her twin normally frequented. It made her heart feel weak and knees similar to wander out away from Phaedra and Stella, alone. It was hard enough trying to escape her mother's watchful gaze, but if there was one thing Hotaru was good at, it was observing. So many times she'd watched and participated in Raeden's multiple escapes, as she often was the one to plan and execute them when the two of them went off together. After that, it was easy to replicate it and escape the prying eyes of her mother's companion.

But that wasn't the present. At that moment, she was nervously peeking out from the tall grass and thistle around her. Hotaru was nearly a season old, but not quite, and was still short and new like a folded up flower. The sun was warm against her back, bringing out the strawberry that coated a full half of her. Dichromatic eyes surveyed the creek just ahead, feeling a little warm despite her light coloring. Warily she glanced around, before finally gathering the courage to leave her safety blanket of tall grasses to approach the water. It had hidden her well, and she was reluctant to leave it, but she was thirsty and a little warm so in the end she was walking towards the bank with jittery steps. Silver and green eyes swept around again, just in case. Carefully she dipped her tiny muzzle and drank the surprisingly cool liquid. Once she was done, throat no longer aching and claiming abuse, Ru stared down at her reflection. It wasn't the best of mirrors, but the ripples were slow enough near the bank anyways. Sighing at the big doe eyes and prominent horn, she cast her eyes away and took a step into the creek. Shivering at the cool liquid against her leg, following with a few more steps until she stood a full pace into the creek. It hurt her to look at her own face, knowing she was so completely different. She'd never met her father, Tolio, and didn't know that the splotchy almost roaned blaze on her face was from him. Even her eyes- she hated them, wondered why she had been stuck with two different colors, one from each parent though of different shades. Sighing, she tried not to think about how pretty Raeden was, how special she must be in order to be blessed genetically. Awkwardly she shuffled a lanky leg through the water, splashing it up and around as if unsure how to play. Sometimes, she hurt herself with her own thoughts.

<333

[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Tingal Posts: 110
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17 hh :: 9 years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
      Tingal
      sometimes being unique takes it's toll

Wandering the meadow, my eyes drift to the green grasses that lash out at my legs. I sway my head, walking slowly. How lovely the flowers smelled, and how nice the sun's warmth felt upon my back. My ears were kept forward and my green eyes were kept on the look out.

Of course, I smelled something.

Not just flowers and grasses, but an equine. Making my way towards the smell, I reach a small filly. Very young, with a lovely strawberry colored body, although her bottom half was palomino. Where the colors blended there was small white hairs mixed in. I make my way towards the child, trying to be as quiet as I could. Or would that be bad? Would that scare the child if she turned around? I'm able to see the faint spots running along her back. Slowly tilting my head forward, I open my maw to speak.
"Hello, little one. I'm Tingal, and you are?" Smiling, I step to where I'm able to see the filly's face.

Delicate features, portraying she was a young and beautiful child. I look at her reflection, her eyes two different colors. One of them a lovely silver and the other a blue-green color. Although her features are soft, they showed confusion and maybe even pain. "You look worried, little child. What's troubling your mind?" I look at the child, both of us are unique. Me, maybe a little more unique but, she wasn't exactly your 'average' filly. I wait for a response, my eyes drifting to my reflection in the water. My reflection rippled as I place a hoof into the water. The ripples spread to the filly's reflection too. I sigh, glancing at the sun for a moment.

[[ Thought I'd throw Tingal in here. ;) ]]

"Talk"
MoonsongStock | table by Tay

Ru</style>

She's lost in a cloud of her own thoughts. All that connects her to the world is the coolness of the water against her legs and the shuddering of her reflection. The rest of her is gone, off in a completely different world. In that place, she doesn't have to worry about her imperfections that are so glaringly obvious in comparisons to the few her twin has. She doesn't have to be concerned with not knowing her father, or trying to live up to Phaedra's and the Grey's expectations. It was nice there, floating in happy fantasies she didn't often indulge in for a child her age. Raeden often went on tangents about being a princess that would be rich and powerful and all sorts of things that Hotaru didn't understand. That sort of life seemed rather awful to her, having to be perfect all the time, but in her eyes since Raeden was always right she tried to conform to the idea. Surely that was the universal dream of every filly? But in her mind she could dream about other things, things that had a loose shape but would become more defined as she grew older.

However being caught in her thoughts had consequences, that being she wasn't paying nearly as much attention to her surroundings. She was always very wary and sort of a scaredy-cat as her twin called her, so it was rare for her guard to be down. So when a soft voice, clearly masculine, called out to her she jumped in fear. There were few males in her life, considering the Grey was rather secretive and she never saw many of them. But the person advancing seemed kind enough, and she stilled her suddenly shaking knees. His voice was soft, and smile gentle, so Hotaru gave him a shy one in return. He introduced himself as Tingal, and she couldn't help but stare at him for at least a moment. Although used to seeing strange things like her mother's curse, or Ophelia and Ktulu, she was still a little intrigued. Luckily she didn't outright stare, for she knew it was impolite and reprimanded herself internally before it could get to that point. "I-I'm Hotaru..." she murmured softly, though making sure she was heard. At least she wasn't loud, commanding attention like her twin.

They remain quiet for a while, studying each other. When Tingal speaks again, Hotaru's face fell into a soft form of sadness, like crinkled velvet in the contours of her face. "Just...thoughts. My twin. I feel a lot of things that I don't think are right, but they hurt..." Why was she confessing to a total stranger? Because she didn't really know any better. Had Raeden been there, her twin would have jumped straight into conversation. Apparently Ru had picked up some of her habits, though she couldn't tell if they were bad or not at her age. Quietly she turned eyes that she found too big and innocent- Rae's were so pretty and wise, slanted like a vixen in an attractive way- to Tingal. "She is perfect, and pretty, and I love her...but she is mean to me, confuses me...I am not pretty, and it hurts...but I still love her very much. I think she is perfect. Is that...is that normal mister Tingal?" Voice very childlike, trying to be as respectful as possible despite the confusion that made her bare her very soul to someone who she hardly knew.

<333

Plot with me here!

dark
      Tingal

At first, the young child did not notice me. I wait silently, admiring how small she appeared. When I see her lips begin to move, I perk my ears. She gives me her name, a lovely sound it made coming from her lips. I nod my head, happy to meet her.

It's only a moment before her soft features crumble into a saddened expression. I frown too, almost feeling the child's hurt. I listen to her next words, my heart dropping at how sad she sounded. "A twin?" Nodding my elegant head, I felt the pain enveloping my heart. I had siblings too, but none of them looked like me. Feeling the same pain Hotaru felt, I brush my tiger tail against her pale coat. "It's alright to feel hurt. This is how I feel too, knowing that my siblings are normal compared to me."

I look at the small filly's eyes, and then at her reflection. I glance at the trees for a moment, wondering if the filly would wish to see my power. Or would that be showing off? I'm jerked back from my thoughts when she begins to talk again. I frown at her words, knowing exactly how she felt. "What are you talking about? You're a beautiful little filly. Don't listen to what your sister says. It's best your unique. Any horse stupid enough to say you're not pretty is not worthy of your presence." I smile, glancing at the trees. "Now, let me show you something." Concentrating on the tree on the other side of the stream. I send out my thoughts, throwing them at the tree. Walk. My tone towards the tree is commanding yet respectful. For, these trees carry many tales untold. Slowly the tree shivers and rises, it's long roots are torn from the ground and the tree makes it's way forward. The tree moves itself closer to Hotaru, bending over slightly before straightening up and driving it's roots into the dirt. I look at Hotaru for a moment, smiling.

"Talk"

Ru</style>

He moves with grace that is unbefitting of an equine of any sort, and Hotaru is intrigued by it. Though she doesn't really want to make him uncomfortable by asking, she is dreadfully curious about his lineage. Surely he is not fully horse, the flickering tail behind him was clue enough. Hotaru loved to simply know things, but she wasn't rude enough to throw the blunt question at him. Instead she tilted her tiny head to look up at him. Tingal towered over her with a size that was large even to most adults, but dwarfed her in comparison. Ru didn't mind, in fact thought it was rather 'cool' as Raeden would call it most likely.

It confuses her to see his face fall, as well, once hers does. Is it sympathy? Understanding? Pity? Ru didn't know the depth of a lot of emotions at her age, but decided it wasn't her place to ask once again. Even if she had wanted to, she was more tangled in her own melancholy thoughts than in pestering him with inquiries that were sure to drive him mad. All that is given in reply to his question over if she had a twin was a nod. Though she looked up once more as a soft appendage stroked her side comfortingly, a bright splash of orange and black against the cream and strawberry of her own canvas. Ru let out a tiny giggle to herself at the feel of it, a bit foreign to her. However brief joy is replaced almost instantly with relief that she is not alone, and a certain glow came to her dichromatic eyes that had not been there before. Hotaru was so very lonely sometimes, and the thought that Tingal knew how she felt made her feel a bit steadier on the earth. He actually understood! Even with the situation about siblings! It nearly blew her mind to find out that there was someone else out there in the world that could say, truthfully, that they had experienced what she was currently going through.

However her glow of joy is turned to a flush of embarrassment at the praise. Phaedra complimented her sometimes, but Hotaru always felt uncomfortable because she always thought she was lying. Why wouldn't she? Despite the soft spots along her spine, Raeden had been the one to inherit most of their mother's looks. Ru often found herself hating the pink along her body, the white that roaned its way between the color she wished to have and the one she hated. It was like someone had squished her mother and father on top of each other with a line of white to draw where one ended and the other began. Ru had never found it particularly pretty, so Tingal's kind words made her dip her head shyly, silver forelock falling into her eyes out of habit to hide herself from the world. "T-Thank you," she managed to whisper at last, peering out from her hair so that only her green eye was visible, but the gratitude and happiness there was more than enough to show Tingal that she had truly appreciated what he had said.

Though her legs were getting a bit too cold for her liking, she turned and looked at...whatever Tingal was looking at. What was he looking at that he wanted her to see? But the answer came to her rather quickly, watching as one of the trees on the bank shuddered to life like a waking bear and began to move towards her slowly. Hotaru stared at it, eyes and mouth dropping into perfect, small o's. It bent towards her like a gentleman bowing, before straightening and reassuming its position, still once more. Hotaru whirled to face Tingal, surprise coating her eyes. "That's so awesome!" Childish delight and wonder coating her tone as she bounced on her toes before him, smiling radiantly.

<333

Plot with me here!

dark
      Tingal

Normal Tingal:

I enjoyed Hotaru's company, the small filly and I had something in common. We were both unique. Odd ones out I suppose. Turning slowly to the filly, I look at her with gleaming eyes. I was curious on who her parents were, especially with her unique coloring. Hotaru gazed at me and I gazed at her. Turning away, I stare into the trees across from us. Why did I feel like we were being watched? The sensation rumbled through me as I kept my gaze against the trees.

When I moved the tree, Hotaru seemed at awe, her small mouth drooping open. Smiling, I open my own lips. "Better shut your mouth before flies get in there!" My tone was playful, and my nostrils flare. A twig snaps from across from us and I snap my head towards the noise. What was that? Perking my black ears, I gaze at the trees. A shadow flickers by, a flash of orange and black. Glowing green eyes stare at me, iridescent pupils gleam, focused on me. What in the world was that!?

Was it... me?

Doppelganger Tingal

How had the Tiger gotten there? Why was it here? To find it's original of course. It tracked the smell, but was unable to find him. Until now. It watched with green eyes from behind a large tree. It watched as it's opposite sweet-talked a little foal. A little... ugly foal. Colors were mashed together on the foal, pink and gold with white in between the two.

With a demonic smile the Tiger watched as it's opposite made a tree walk forward and bow like a gentlemen to the filly. What a softie! I shall put him in his place! Flicking his tail, the Tiger gave out a silent laugh, a cruel, cold laugh. Flicking his tail he placed his gray hoof down upon he ground.

Crack!

The twig snapped under his weight. Cursing silently, he glanced up. Black audits flicked back as he realized his opposite had noticed. With eyes narrowed the stallion wove his was so he stood behind a tree. He drew out his magic from within him, reaching out to the tree with his magic. Fall down, down, down... He muttered within his head. Stepping back, he watched as the tree practically threw itself to the floor, landing with a loud crashing noise. It took down a few more trees as it fell. The shock! Oh the shock that appeared upon the Tiger's other half. A loud cackle rang through the air as the Tiger leaps over the fallen trees. "Such anugly little thing we have here." His gaze settled on the filly, and he snarled.

All was chaos.

[[ Some how I had more muse for doppelganger Tingal.. o.o;]]
"Talk"

Shock had never hit her quite like this, mostly because Hotaru wasn't subjected to very much magic. Certainly nothing as large and obvious as this, though it brought no real harm to the element he controlled. Face heating beneath the snowy color of her skin, she closed her mouth quickly with a small click. Embarrassment glowed in her eyes, and crown dipped towards the earth to hide herself even further. Though she knew that Tingal was merely playing, and indeed a smile played at her lips, she still felt rather shy for having been so surprised and awed. For a bit she allowed it to remain on her face, but soon turned when a snap sounded over the gurgling of the river and Tingal's jerking movement caught her vision. Looking up in concern, she twitched her auds and followed his gaze to the forest on the opposite end of the bank. From the shadows emerged, slowly, a painted form of obsidian and umber, deep orange coating him in a way she was familiar with. Perhaps not as familiar as Tingal himself, but definitely noticeable.

It was...Tingal?

Thinking maybe it was magic again, she flicked one confused seafoam iris to him. Instead of mischief, or even a smile, shock and a hint of fear lingered on his kind face. The crashing of tumbling, uprooted trees made her give out a squeal of fear and press herself instinctively to Tingal's side, tiny crown pressed into his shoulder, pearly horn laying against his skin. Fear made her tremble and quake all over, natural demands from ages past telling her that the massive stallion could and would keep her safe. Ageless commands that told her that she could never take on this strange repetition of her friend, and that hiding behind someone who could was the best thing to do. Cruel words lashed at her hide like a whip that cut her deep, carmine blood drawn to the surface. Whimper escaped her lips, which trembled at the harsh insult. Even Raeden didn't go that far. "T-Ti-Tingal...." she whimpered fearfully, not knowing what else to say or do. Knees were weak and she was too afraid to even peek around to look at the other Tingal, lashes starting to bud little diamond droplets of tears.

Hotaru
you never know the power of yourself, until that is all you have left to rely upon</style>

image credits
table by whit

Plot with me here!

dark
Normal:

I can feel the fear drifting from the little filly, and the shock. It came all at once, and I too was shocked. What in the name of Helovia was going on?! Why in Loorien was there another me?! We looked exactly alike, from the curling horns that were sprouting from behind our ears to every single individual stripe upon our orange bodies. But this other Tingal, his eyes... they were cold, dark. Upon his face was a disgusted look. He commented on the filly, saying she was ugly. Snarling, he settled his gaze on me. Rage bubbled inside of me, as deep within, a sudden hate grew stronger. A low growl instantly sparked within my throat, but was cut off when Hotaru dug her face into my fur. Settling my tail upon her back, I press my dark muzzle closer to hers.

"Leave us alone!" I shout, my voice booming out at the other tiger stallion. I flick my black ears back, my eyes narrowed. My fur stood on end, and my whiskers constantly twitched. "Why are you here? What is your purpose?" I begin to question him, but all he does is laugh. He hisses, growls, and even lets out a ferocious roar. Slowly pushing Hotaru back, I begin to walk forward. I was going to set this bastard straight.

But the sudden sound of tears hitting water drew me back, and I quickly step back to Hotaru's side. I allow her to bury her small face into my pelt, and I rest my velveteen muzzle against her poll. "It'll be alright, I swear." I murmur, forcing crystalline tears back. I didn't want to admit anything.

Especially the fact that I was scared.

Doppelganger:

The Tiger laughed, staring at the pair of oddballs. The way the child cowered, how.... cowardly. "Oh no! Are you scared of me? You better be!" The Tiger's voice echoed through the woods, and he lashed his tail. Flicking black audits back, he let out an angry snarl. This world is filled with weirdos! The Tiger glares down a the two, and he watches his other half embrace the filly. "Is the puddy-tat scawed? How bout the wittle filly? Is she scawed too?" The Tiger lets out a laugh, a cruel, cold laugh that bounces off each tree.

Lashing his tail, the Tiger watches as Tingal advances forward, but when the palomino and pink filly started crying, he retreated. Such a fool! Laughing, the stallion forced yet another tree to fall as he made his way down to Tingal and the foal. What an odd pair. The Tiger's thoughts come in quickly, passing through his head. He withdrew himself from his thoughts and snarled and hissed, lashing his tail. What a foolish little couple they were. Tilting his head back, the Tiger let out a deep laugh.

Wasn't this fun?

[[bleh post is bleh :/]]

"Talk talk talk"
Tingal

image credits
table by whit