the Rift

Kammen [Fire Magic Drop]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Commala come, come; there's much to see, and much t'be done.

The tides have calmed now, and under the illuminating light of the moon, pulsate against the shore relentlessly. The air is calm, and still and silent; fragrant with the salty brine of the sea. But the Endless Blue is lit by more than just the moon on this night, for 3 spheres of firelight burn brightly. One sphere, hovers just inches above the water about 20ft from shore. Although it appears to be a vortex of fire, it is un-bothered by the waves below it, nor do the waves appear to be affected by the heat it is surely generating. Another sphere, lays nestled in the sands, wrapped within many layers of leaves and vines; also unaffected by the flames. The last sphere, hovers about 10 ft in the air, drenching the sands in a warm white glow.

This is no ordinary magic, this is old magic. You have come here, because you have chosen it, but you will only leave blessed by its power, if it chooses you.

In your mind, a voice speaks and yet does not. The sound is like a breath blowing dust away, and as the dust clears, the words are seemingly remembered in your mind, as if they were always there.

You know I need you, we all do.
You are life, but you kill too.
Little by little, you can torture the mind.
We can leave our mother, but not you behind.
A simple formula, your creation.
With moonlight, lovers' fascination.

Each orb is identical, wholly indistinguishable from the others. What will you do?

Commala come, come; it's time to pick, the fun's begun.

Image Credits

Light or Fire Magic Drop
- This drop is a puzzle drop, characters will advance based on their actions in the initial post
- Every character who posts here should be mentioned in your replies like a normal thread
- The winner will get their choice of light, fire or a hybrid of light or fire magic
- Good luck!
- You have 72 hours (3 days) to respond before new responses are closed.

Ursula Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The mare had taken a great liking to the beach. And the night again found her journeying to its shores, her hopes to revel yet again in the pale glow of the moon. Something was different in this voyage however. Distant points of light, thought to be stars at first but no, they did not hover as distant specks, rather the size seemed to change as she neared. The mares path continued to the beach at a leisurely trot, rosy gazed narrowed in hesitant inspection, staring at the orb in the sand through the lush veil of alabaster lashes. It...they had...spoken? Or where these her own thoughts?

A nicker echoed in the depths of her throat, nearly a grunt of confusion and disapproval given the invading notion, but she proceeded with steps slowed in caution to the one nestled in the ground. The damsel neared till a body length separated them, her serpentine tail then whipped around, the limb extended to fan gently, swiftly near the flames to see if the orb would react, if it were a living thing; and should it spurt fire as it's radiant construction made her wary of, she had no desire to be burned. More than that, the curious mare wanted a clearer understanding of this glowing artifact before she proceeded. The hairs on her tail she could do without, her sight however, would be sorely missed should things go poorly.

"speech"
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

The sea was calm, a bright moon shinned above to light the path of those that traveled to its shores. A soft evening breeze hums through my mane and tickles the hair of my forelock until both are shoved behind as my body slowly descends a familiar dune of sand only for eyes to witness something rather extraordinary. Spheres of fires, spheres of power. I pause, staring at the lovely balls of light as if witnessing a vision. Surely they would simply evaporate from this earth if I approached?

Fina, who was sleeping quietly on my back stirs. Her eyes opening to greet the astounding sight before us. It didn’t matter why we had come, what mattered was that we had arrived at exactly the right time for an interesting adventure. Quietly as I might, my hooves slowly lead a path toward the glowing ball that was hovering 10 or so feet from earth, its light falling against the pale sand.

Nervous, and curious; muzzle raises upon approach. One other had entered the beach, drawn for whatever reason; I take no notice as a strange mare fans one of the other orbs. Drawing a breath when I finally am resting beneath its power, my voice softly asks, “What are you?” Childlike wonderance, two sets of eyes are now watching this magical thing, by now my firechild had woken fully and was peering at the orb with a calculating stare. The wings upon my back rise away from my side out of caution should these blessed spheres turn out to be deadly.

Commala come, come; it's time to pick, the fun's begun.

Moving from my spine, the child rises quietly; wings alight with flames from heaven. Talons extend as she reaches outward with her tips, wondering what effect grasping the ball would have. Nervously I murmur, "Be careful." Her wings could embrace it if she so chose.

Image Credits
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Lana Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Brave. Yes, I felt brave. Scared maybe, but brave. Oh, and very, very lost.

A moon was hung in the pitch black sky and I could hear the gentle crashing of waves. A beach? Although it was dark and colder then the Throat I could still tell that under my hoofs sand rolls out. The sea's shadow darkens the sand even more with each rolling wave that slammed down on the shore. In the distance though two dark figures seem to be looking out across the sea. Alight seemed to be coming from behind and from the bottom of there hoofs. I start to move closer to the scene, swaying to the side slightly.

The burning orbs reflect in my eye's as I stare at the two orbs, soon to realise there was one in the sky. Three burning orbs? The faint scent of the Throat trails past me as I realise one of them must be from the Throat. My feelings pick up slightly as I gingerly start to head towards the two. Commala come, come; it's time to pick, the fun's begun. Was the thought some sort of voice? A dangerous one? The more I thought about it though, the more I found myself heading towards it and soon I was in a line with the other two, on the side on the painted stallion who seemed to be the Throat horse, but I was a few meters away from them. After my recent experience, I didn't feel exactly comfortable with new horse's but somehow, I didn't seem to mind that much at the moment. These burning orbs were drawing me in to them.

I stay silent, not saying a thing but sometimes I would eye up the paint. Was he from the Throat? My tangled mane drapes over my neck as I take a small step closer to the orb on the ground but I barley advanced on it. I lower my scruffy neck down the focus on the burning ball which barley affected the sand in fact, it didn't affect the sand at all. It was almost as if it wasn't burning. It was the same with the one out at the sea. Small waves lapped at it but there was no reaction at all. The one that hung in the sky seemed to be floating to, what magic was this? I lift my head back up and look from orb, to orb, to orb. What did this all mean?

[Based straight after Lana's escape, from the Basin, where she takes a wrong turn and ends up here.]

"blah blah blah."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Azzaron Posts: 85
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17 hh :: 10 years Buff: NOVICE
Dark

My right wing was still a little numb with pain, and flying was making it worse. I had left that bay mare far behind me, and now I had set a course to head to... where? The Basin? No. I bite down on my lip, holding back my tears. I wouldn't think about Delinne. Not now.

Angling my massive body down, I begin to plummet towards the beach. It was only then that I see three, odd balls about twenty feet out in the water. I see another glowing under a blanket of vines and leaves. Another is near the beach, ten feet above the sand. I step onto the beach, already others are there. A filly, a unicorn and... Midas? I had heard of him, being the General of the Throat and all. And he was there when Azzuen's body had been found... hadn't he? Must be horrible, losing such a great comrade.

Shaking my head, a voice echos within my mind. My fiery orbs grow as I hear the voice ring within my head.

Looking at the glowing spheres, I step forward. I'm a little out of it, but I want them and the power they hold. I can feel the water grab at my feet like a hungry dog, wishing to pull my in. My mind is still racing, trying to figure out what this is. "Anyone have any ideas?" I blurt out, flicking my ears forward before taking another step forward. How would this all turn out?

Whatever magic these orbs possessed, I would get this magic. I swear.

"Blah blah blah."

ooc: Just gonna throw Azz, since he loves the fire! ;D If it's not too late... >.>
word count: 304

"When you grow old, you will die and rot on the ground,
Other horses will dance when you all crumble, when your kingdom falls.
When your crowns break."

Sulwyn Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Sulwyn

what is this world we live in?

Stout silver legs scaled their way down rocky cliffs. They did not catch on the jagged rocks that lay scattered all through out the trail, instead each moonlit pillar flowed seamlessly over the uneven steps. The vessel that they carried had climbed down this staircase only once before, yet she felt that she knew where each dip or bump grew, like she had made countless journeys to the rhythmic waves below. If that had indeed been true, however, maybe the young mare would have noticed the three pulsating orbs before her hooves had met the sand.

Raising her striped head to switch her gaze from the ground to the shoreline, Sulwyn stopped in her tracks at the sight of the moonlit beach, and the first orb that hovered a good few feet over head. The shy mare cautiously drew closer to the sand directly below the fiery substance, craning her neck skyward to take a closer look. From what she could make out, the ball of light resembled a miniature version of the sun, but as far as the silver mare knew, the sun only came out during the day. Had this source of light been put here by the God of Fire? Was it a sign for the sun-branded mare; would it unlock the secrets behind her own mystifying orbs? Remembering that she did indeed have her own fiery essences of energy -- or, in Sulwyn's case, essences that stole energy -- the grulla tentatively called one into being.

The sphere that she had conjured started out at the size of a large nut, gradually swelling until it almost resembled a flaming apple. The eerie purple flames surrounding the midnight colored sphere made no sound at all as they burned, which was still disconcerting for the fae. She was used to hearing the roar and crackle of natural fire, not the ominous glow and absence of sound that came from this unknown substance. Suddenly not wanting to see it up close any longer, Sulwyn tossed it upwards to float beside its heavenly brother, panting slightly from the effort of willing it there. She had only recently discovered that the balls of matter existed and, since finding that out, the fae had had no interest in learning how to master them. It was best to leave the flaming things alone, in her opinion.

Staring at the twin flames, the petite mare concluded that they were in fact the same size, and they both looked to be made up of the same substances. Although she had no idea how either one came into being, she knew that she could only control her own essence of magic and not the foreign copy of it, so she smothered the purple sphere with her will.

The fae left the orb where it hung in the obsidian sky, fixing her golden eyes on the forms of other gathering equines. Relief flooded her body as she sped off to join the lonesome figures, praying to the Gods that these creatures might have an answer as to why the miniature sun was just floating there. The distant glow of a second flame appeared in the outskirts of her vision, and Sulwyn turned her lithe head to look at it as she ran. This time, the foreign object hung above the lapping waves of the ocean-- too far out for the mustang to consider swimming to, and too high above the black sea for her to reach it even if she did. A darker speck in the sky alerted her of a pegasus that was studying the sphere himself, so she didn't bother thinking too much about it. Is my God playing on tricks on me? the mare mused, her hooves still gently pounding at the moonlit sand.

It was in the moments before she met with the striped unicorn and her companions that a soft, almost-familiar voice rang in her ears.

'You know I need you, we all do.
With moonlight, lovers' fascination.'

All of Sulwyn's senses suddenly just stopped. Her heart froze; her naves stopped taking in the salty air; her agile legs slammed into the ground; the sound of the lapping waves no longer reached her ears. The mare felt as if she had been kicked in the head, and the whole world had stopped moving. The only thought that had made it through to her was, What was that just now? The edges of her vision started to go black and, remembering to breathe, Sulwyn stumbled forward, the world slowly beginning to turn again. The wind whipped at her silver tresses as she turned her face to stare at the flames once more, her shock now turning to wonder. How can this be? Tuning her fine ears into the low murmurs and speculations that came from the small group of horses, the mustang decided to join the conversation.

"It has to be a sign. Can you feel their energy? Look, the light given off by them pulses with something." Pulling her petite form closer to where a third orb lay in the sand, nestled within a blanket of broad leaves and thick vines, the mare became aware of a slight tingling sensation. It could only be felt on the parts of her body that were lit up by the glow of the entangled orb, convincing the sharp-minded fae that her suggestion was viable, if not true. Puzzling over the purpose of such a celestial object, Sulwyn thought back to what the voices had spoken of.

You know I need you, we all do. The first line of the 'riddle', as she had come to call it, had no significant meaning to the grulla. It was the verse that followed that, however, that did strike her as fairly personal.

You are life, and you kill too. How did the little glowing suns know of her unnatural ability to summon life-draining orbs? She wasn't sure that they could kill anything, but she was more than convinced that they caused extreme harm to whoever touched them, and might be capable of such a violent act if used in excess. Personal experience with touching one of the floating balls out of curiosity had informed the mare of such things.

Maybe if my lights take energy, these ones give it? It wasn't necessarily an improbable thought -- any guess at all would certainly be fitting of their current situation -- but it was still just a thought, and it had not been proven. But that didn't mean that it couldn't be. There's no harm in trying, now is there?
"I have an idea, but I'd prefer if someone else tried their own idea first."

{Got a little carried away, sorry >.<}

Nadira Posts: 76
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.2 :: 2 years (Birdsong)
s3ilver

it has come to pass...

It has come to pass, foretells the wanderer’s tale, of an alabaster lass who is bloodless and pale. Her piercing silver horn rests atop her fine brow, born under the stars and lit by the magic of the dancing moon; her frame is encased by the moon’s splendor. When time was once her friend and eternity was her’s, on crystal waters her image was shown; the essence of water. A touch of magic ignites a soft glow, while the picturesque maiden begins the show, gliding across it’s surface like a ballet dancer. Her strides are fluent, never missing a beat, parallel to the waves, in perfect harmony. Her neck is arched, and there is passion in her depthless souls of ice blue, a burning desire that won’t subside. The stars gaze upon this vixen with wonder. The waters keep her frame harm’s way by night, while magic does the trick by day.

The guiding balls of light spoke of old magic that kindled the depths of her soul, as a kindred spirit sang…

When the emptiness that now stirred, filled her, the lonely mare felt the streak of a single teardrop caress her jowl. Even if the song was a riddle of sorts, it was of personal value than anything else for her. She dared not speak, as the only form she recognized was that of Midas’s frame. While there was another striped unicorn and a darker hued mare by the fallen globe of light, hidden beneath the leaves and vines of the beach shore, yet still a young filly kept her distance and yet another stallion questioned what these things were. Did he want an obvious answer for an obvious question? She did not wish to know.

She could hear a voice from her past whisper You know I need you, we all do. You are life, but you kill too. She took a stride forward toward the globe that hovered twenty feet out, while the waves beckoned her to join them and play. She had been hunted as a mortal girl, and for what? Her horn? She had been betrayed by her lover and here she had risked and given everything for him, only to take his very life in the end. But that was not all that the voice spoke of. Little by little, you can torture the mind. We can leave our mother, but not you behind. She couldn’t hold back the second tear that found purchase on her cheek bone, as the reality hit her hard.

Facing her past was not easy, and she soon found herself chest high, still searching out the globe farthest out of reach. She just had to reach it. How could one memory devour her and leave her an insomniac, was that even possible? She knew, even at his death, the thoughts that ran through those she left behind in a mad rage, her signature of her kill had left them in terror and tortured them each and every day, until they took her very life, and the last horn of what they thought to be the last of her kind; the unicorn, pure in all her ways, and innocent, of course until proven guity, as she had quickly learned in court, on the awful place known as Earth. She shivered at the nightmares that threatened her. The hunters would not leave her behind, until they had claimed what they thought was rightfully their’s; her horn.

And to the last of all the lyrics, lingered the longest; A simple formula, your creation. With moonlight, lovers' fascination. Bearing her own choices, she was the only one who could write her own destiny. She was the one who had created her fate with each stride she had taken, to get to this point. She was accustomed to becoming a fascination to those who wished to keep her to themselves. She was often seen as a symbol of hope, of youth and purity; a fantasy that was continuously chased after but was not a reality.

Here, she had reached her destination, floating before the golden globe. If she dared, she could touch the hovering ball with her lengthy horn, but did she dare? Curiosity was sometimes a curse. It didn’t help that the pulsing only drew her in closer, and reaching out, she attempted to touch the blazing fire with her horn. She wouldn’t know unless she tried, the worst that could happen was being tossed back into a mortal’s body and fed to the hunters. Even death sounded more appealing to her than the latter.

A life lost to the shadow’s of the night, she never thought she’d have faded and aged with time. For a moments breath she’ll fight. There must be a way to break this spell that binds her to a life she wishes not to live at all. Like snow in winter, her beauty is pure, but like all things will someday fade. As she watches everyone pass by, she’ll remain trapped in her own state of mind. Alas, dear one, do not grieve- for she still lives! Do you not believe?

ooc: 1st and last paragraph © to s3ilver (part of her poem collection)

Thoughts || Normal Post || "Previous Speech" || "I am talking."

N A D I R A
the essence of timeless beauty

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

onni.</style>

The light reflects off a pale face and soft eyes.

The Shaman of the Dragon's Throat has wandered far from home. Slung about her neck, a strange makeshift basket weaved carefully by Lyhty to encapsulate the broken sword of her mentor. At the sound of the voice in her head, it feels heavier. Her heart beats feverishly in her chest, restoring a strange heat to her face in the cool depth of the night. The voice in her head is far from the ancient words of a spirit, but comes through in the spoken voice of her fallen mentor, Voltaic the Samurai. Her eyes grow damp as she steps forward through the crowd, sightless, to stand in attention to the trio of lights which hover near the ocean's shore.

Falling in to stand besides Midas, the healer looks much like she has seen a ghost. Her eyes do not waver from the orbs of light to look at the warrior from her home, and she is hardly aware of his presence at her side to begin with. The voice which calls to her so close to her heart that it wrests the breath from her lungs for a moment, the small songbird upon her shoulder chirping nervously in the absent state of his bonded's mind. The little bird had never met the Samurai, but he knew immediately the dark frame with bright yellow points and even brighter eyes that is drummed up from her memory. How many times had she returned to his figure, like a touchstone for her worries?

A tear falls down her cheek and lands with a soft thud on the sand. The voice of a stallion different from her mentor snaps in her ears, and she turns to look at the one responsible. His golden frame was familiar, and Onni wonders rather noncommittally if this was the "stupid idiot" her mother had said challenged for her rank. She smiles. Even in wake of hearing the voice of the dead, she cannot hold back the natural joy of her spirit. Her mother, Kri, alive and well back in the Throat, would not approve of this mourning so far behind the death of the her mentor. Instead, Onni ignores the foolish boy entirely, looking instead to the dark mare as she speaks.

The shaman has a feeling. Certainly, she is not alone in hearing this riddle played in her mind, though perhaps she is the only one that heard it through the tinted glass of Voltaic's missed voice. These glowing orbs were speaking, or someone was speaking for them.

"They are powerful, certainly," she says, quite matter-of-fact, looking at each orb in turn before settling her eyes upon the orb floating above the ocean. She begins to step forward toward the ocean, past the one hovering above the heads of those gathered, hooves dipping into the foam of the sea, past the light wrapped in vines. She stands at the edge of the ocean, her pale face turned toward the light, a miniature sun, pulsating above the brim of the wave for a moment before taking a deep breath. On her shoulder, the songbird chirps in encouragement, and the shaman of the Dragon's Throat steps into the water, coming to a halt when the waves lap at her underbelly, her blue eyes fixed on the light in the surf.
""
WHAT IS TO GIVE LIGHT MUST ENDURE BURNING.
credits: aquiloniuslupus, hjr-photography, chocomix, and roar-shack-stock @ dA.com
& wolfgangstaudt @ flickr

Helovian Ancient
Amendment: Please PM your solution to TAMME prior to the closing of this thread. Please note that further clarifications will not be provided in round two, and that the instructions of the RE, however subtle, must be abided. Failure to comply in future rounds, will result in your character not advancing.

Helovian Ancient

Congratulations ONNI!

- Water is an essential part of life
- Drowning
- Chinese water torture
- Similar to the first point
- H20 is the molecular formula for water
- Imagery pertaining to walks on the beach//staring out the water.

Please keep in mind that this was a puzzle drop, as stipulated in the opening post. This should tell you that there is something specific for you to figure out. There were certain phrases italicized, in a different colour, and centered; these were the clues you should have paid attention to.

Please also note, that to be eligible to participate in a magic drop, or a quest-drop from a God, you must have the magic in question listed on your wishlist, unaltered for one month. For more information, and to update your wishlist, please see here.

Image Credits