the Rift

Reluctance [Phi/Ktu]

Kimber Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 4 (Ages in Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Kaiden :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Kachie
For the first time she stood with uncertainty on the outskirts of the Foothills, gaze turned inward but not entirely sure if she should venture closer. The sounds of fighting had dimmed and quieted, and she grew anxious, not knowing why such chaos had come to her home. Nothing of this magnitude had disturbed her life in many seasons, and she was unsure how to handle it.

At last she ventured past the borders, muzzle low to the ground as she paced deeper. Something was... different. New scents on the air. Strange horses, familiar horses, the scents of blood and woods that were not of the Foothills. What did this mean for the Foothills? What did this mean... for her? Why hadn't she known about all this? There'd been an invasion... who had won? Was her home stripped from her, or would she be allowed to stay? Did she want to stay?

None of those answers could be answered lingering away from the source of the chaos. So she drifted closer, tracing familiar paths, some she'd been the primary source of. Her steps were shadowed. A tiny pup toddled at her heels, gray coat blending into her shadow. It was guarded by a full grown, if water-wrought, version of itself, different only in the number of tails the pair bore.

After a time her courage faltered and she halted, shifting to stand guard over the young kitsune that plopped onto the grass beneath her belly, assisted by the watery fox that prowled around her hooves. Ears flickered, and she gave a single small call, questioning and unsure. Hoping that someone she knew would answer.

(( Whether or not she joins the Grey or the Edge will be decided in this thread. ^.^ ))

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Irritation twisted Ktulu's gut as she stalked the edges of the herd land the Grey had won from the few members and random outcasts that had fought them for the land. Jackal had not even shown his face for the battle, and for that Ktulu had not an ounce of respect left for the red stallion. He was lower than the dirt beneath her hooves for leaving his land undefended and not showing to rally his troops for the coming battle. He left them to defend themselves and in doing so he had failed them. Was a herd not supposed to be a family? The Grey was hers. They were a family, a herd, and she would die before she failed them in the way Jackal had failed his family.

"King of Thieves." The dark mare muttered to herself then snorted. "Cowardly King is more fitting." Eytan grumbled his agreement then eyed his bonded who seemed to favor her left foreleg. The growing bear assumed it was because of the fall Ktulu had taken during the battle that had also left her side scuffed from small rocks that had been hidden among the tall grass.

The winds shifted and with it came the scent of someone who was not part of the Grey and, therefore, was not welcome on their land. Ktulu moved quickly in the direction the scent was carried from and slowed when Kimber's familiar form. She came to a halt several paces away, her face showing her irritation.

"You missed the battle, Kimber." She said rather bluntly. "But don't feel too bad, Jackal didn't bother to show his face either." Her ears tilted back and her crimson eyes narrowed on the mare who probably didn't deserve the brunt of her irritation. "The Foothills now belong to the Grey. If you have no intention of joining us and abiding by our code then leave."

Image Credits

Icon by Tay

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Like walking into a dream, so unlike what you've seen

Archibald was not far off from the new, dark queen. He had been watching her, a recognizable air of protection over her. In normal circumstances, Archibald knew the mare could fend for and protect herself, but out of the wake of battle enemies were in all places. Loretta stalked next to Archibald, her body completely renewed. The magic she had used during the invasion had drained her greatly, but nothing that a good night's sleep had no cured. Archibald, on the other hand, was stiff. His muscles were sore from the exertion, especially where Ailith had made contact with her hooves and teeth. Moving stiffly, yards behind Ktulu, he finally lifted into a slow canter when the black dun lifted her own pace. Archibald met Ktulu's side when she stopped, and the Dauntless stood silently, statuesque, staring down at the little mare that he had known to be, frankly, quite loud and annoying. He did not wish for her to stay among the Grey, and when Ktulu spat words in the direction of the smokey female, the Dauntless agreed with her fully.

Loretta moved closer to Kimber, however, with her nose extended towards the kitsune pup that rested beneath the filly. "We are looking for warriors, youngling, and we are also looking for those brave at heart. You left your herd to battle alone, so much like your kin--we are not looking for those of cowardly breeding." Oh, Archibald was referring to Ricochet. The dunskin had been so foolish to try and attack others in close proximity to where Archibald would find it, and he was forced the chase the arrogant bastard off. He felt that Kimber would fall only in line with Ricochet, and when they time came, would tuck her tail and turn her face. She was blind, foolish, and scared. Archibald's jab cold have been directed at Smoke, as well, a female that was so stupid in her ways. Flicking his tail, Archibald focused his golden gaze then to Ktulu, waiting for another response.

Archibald expected nothing except foul words to spew from Kimber, for anger to rise in her chest. But it was true, Kimber stood on a lineage of idiot cowards, and Archibald would not let the fact hide in the shadows. Loretta, still curious about the little creature, lowered her body to the ground, watching it. A small whine spilled from the red and white bitch's throat, hoping to rouse the young thing.

[Image: architable.jpg]
FiagaiStock.deviantart.com | arctichorse.deviantart.com | by: Imi

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Hidden Account
Ears twitched as she caught the sound of hoofbeats, gaze seeking to spot whomever it was that approached. Surprise was her first reaction when it was Ktulu who showed up. Whatever in the world? Yet there was no need for her to ask, for the other mare was quick to inform her of the situation.

The fact of a battle was confirmed in her mind, mild confusion fluttering up over the fact that Jackal hadn't shown up. Bewildered and hurt by the blunt irritation in which Ktulu, who Kimber had thought was a friend, spoke to her, kept the young mare silent. Her blue eyes studied Ktulu and her bear, then drifted to the tall figure of Archibald. There her emotions were promptly shuttered from her eyes, not sure what to make of the stallion who had been leader here, and had joined forces with this Grey, this force of Ktulu's, in order to reclaim the land.

His words rumbled over her, but she ignored him. Her gaze moved back to Ktulu. "I cannot be at a battle if I didn't know there was to be one. War has never come to the Foothills like this, and I was unaware that I would have to worry about my friends taking my home from me." Her voice was relatively calm, growing in intensity as she pointed out that past they shared. Had Ktulu already forgotten that Kimber had gone with her and Ophelia and Aaron and Jackal to fix her legs? That if it wasn't for her and the two stallions she'd just kicked from their homes, she would not be this able bodied mare she was today?

"I know nothing of your Grey, Ktulu. But I'm not sure I want to follow someone who holds so little gratitude to those who helped her in the past. I don't know why you didn't just ask to join us." She deliberately avoided paying any attention to Archibald. She had nothing to do with his past grievances, and refused to be provoked by his petty passes.

Tiny Kaiden huddled in on himself beneath her, wary of Eytan and Loretta. They were both much bigger than he was, and he was uncomfortable with the close attention the malamute was giving him. Lips curled back from needle-sharp puppy teeth in silent warning. His uneasiness transferred through the bond with Kimber, unconsciouslessly signalling the watery fox to move in his defense. It surged between Loretta and Kaiden, tail whipping around as it spun before the malamute, likely to slap her on the nose and leave her with a wet face if she didn't back off.

Kimber spared a glance down and back at the companions and the fox that was an expression of her magic. She shifted a step back, deliberate in her movements to stand closer to the young kitsune and not accidentally step on a tail. "Had I known that you were going to invade my home, I would have been here. I wish to be a warrior, but have little experience in battle." This was the only admission she gave for having heard Archibald's words, though her blue eyes never left Ktulu. Privately she wished she had been here, had had an opportunity to put into practice the ideas she had to employ her magic within battle. A tiny part of her wished she could use one of those on Archibald, though he was big enough to seriously harm her. But with Kaiden to watch after, she didn't dare leave the kitsune unguarded. He was a helpless baby, her responsibility, and owned a piece of her heart and her soul. Not so much she could say of the same vein to the two standing before her, and she wondered where Ophelia was, if Ktulu was here. Where Hototo was, and what Archibald meant to Ktulu that she let him stand so close. Questions she had no answers for, and wasn't inclined to ask.

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Ktulu's face visibly hardened at the way Kimber tried to throw their past friendship in her face. The black and white mare was more than aware that everyone who had gone with her to fix her legs when she was young was now homeless, but their lethargy and apathetic way of life was what had brought it on them. "You may have gone with me to the Earth God but do not deny that half of the reason you went was for your own purposes." Her eyes narrowed on the grulla mare. "What happened in the past is in the past and will remain there, Kimber." She said firmly, but if Ktulu knew Kimber she knew that the grulla would have to have the last word and speak of their past again.

An ear tilted in Archibald's direction was the only acknowledgement Ktulu gave the bigger stallion. Despite the lack of a warm welcome on her part his presence was, in fact, welcomed by her. The big stallion, while she had not liked him much on their first meeting, had proven his loyalty and his worth to their group. His strength was an asset that they had capitalized on in more than on occasion, especially in the battle. Again, she was reminded of the fact that she had been one of the few that had gone down. It was strange when she thought about it. One moment she was attacking and the next her world had gone black and her body met the ground in a jarring fashion.

"Your excuse for not fighting is weak at best, Kimber." She continued on moments later. "Individuals that did not call the Foothills home fought in place of the ones who were absent that called the Foothills home. If they could fight for land they had no claim to then you need a far better excuse than not knowing." Pale tail slapped against her legs as she spoke to the other mare in an unfriendly manner, but then those who knew Ktulu knew that she was not known for being friendly. "The Grey is a family of mercenaries and spies who fulfill contracts for other groups and herds. We lead lives of secrecy and violence." She continued on.

"Had I known that you were going to invade my home, I would have been here. I wish to be a warrior, but have little experience in battle."

Again, she was cut short by Kimber's claim that she would have been there had she known of the battle. "Use your ears and eyes, Kimber." Ktulu said impatiently. "Could you not see the changes in the herd around you? Could you not see the herd members that went missing or did you not care?" She was losing what little patience she had quickly. "Even other herds knew what was coming. So, again, I will tell you. Not knowing is not and excuse." But what did it matter? The mare hadn't shown, but she could not be faulted as much as her leader could.

"As Archibald said, we are looking for warriors." Ktulu then continued once more. "If you have the heart and the soul of a warrior then you would be an asset to us." She would not accept someone just because they wanted to fight. Fighters were a weakness, she thought. They fought just because they wanted to fight. Fighters went through the motions of a battle, where warriors lived it. It was in their heart and soul, every breath they took, every beat of their heart. When a warrior died they died a warrior's death, battling until the very end, but a fighter ran when death threatened to drape it's dark veil over them and suck them into the abyss that many believed to be the afterlife.

Whether or not Kimber was a fighter or a true warrior was yet to be decided, but as time wore on Ktulu found herself more inclined to let the mare be on her way.

Image Credits

Icon by Tay

Hidden Account
With an attempt at cool politeness Kimber listened to what Ktulu had to say, though her twitching ears were a dead giveaway of her churning thoughts and emotions. It frustrated her that the other mare again and again cut at her with barbed comments about how she had not been present. Was it so terrible that Kimber had been preoccupied with tending to the egg that had held Kaiden, had been roaming the Threshold in an attempt to recuit and make the Foothills strong again, had been trying to make herself stronger with a visit to the Earth God? It was not her fault she had not been in contact with the other herds Ktulu spoke of, not her fault she'd been distracted in safeguarding the hatching and first days of her kitsune's young life. And, and...

Blue eyes closed, shutting away outside stimuli as she struggled to calm herself and through herself, Kaiden. Several deep breaths were taken before the young grulla opened her eyes again to regard Ktulu. "A true warrior fights for a cause worthy of being upheld, and fights the better for that cause being their own. I will not stand beside those who will stand for everyone else and anyone else's cause if the price is good enough." Her voice was cool, but there was still hurt in her eyes.

As she spoke, the watery fox had been gently guiding little Kaiden away, and now she turned away to follow them. It took all she had to walk with quiet, firm pride though it tore her apart to leave her childhood home behind.

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Loretta lowered her body and snarled as the fox's tail slapped wetness over her muzzle. There was no pain, only water, but it infuriated the bitch because of the blatant rudeness. Loretta was posing no threat to the young kitsune, she was merely curious, but now she was only angry. Flicking her eyes up to Kimber, the white and red dog took a step between her and Ktulu, tail standing erect angrily. Her lips curled back and she exposed deadly teeth, each one ready to rip into the sensitive coward's flesh.

Growing as irritated as Loretta, Archibald took a step forward towards Kimber. "Kimber, it would be wise for you to leave now." Archibald did not wait for Ktulu to agree or reprimand him, but merely commanded the younger filly confidently. His voice was cold and his eyes hard as he looked down on her, ready to enforce his words with his strength if she chose not to leave. His dark tail flicked behind him, his hooves itching to send the earth into frantic tremors below the filly's feet. The Dauntless flicked his ears back, mostly ignoring Kimber's words as she acted like she was disappointed in Ktulu. Her family really did think they were gifts to this fucking earth, did they not? Smoke, Ricochet, her--all of them, arrogant little cowards with no place among the glory of the Grey and the Foothills. Archibald ground his teeth together and set his jaw, Loretta sending him images of blood and flesh ripping from Kimber and her young companion. Archibald mentally told her to wait, and the red dog looked back at Ktulu, waiting for words from the new Chieftess.

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me