the Rift

Dancing on Air [Midas, Open]

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

They are kissing the sky.

At last, he has learned enough to keep himself comfortably within the boundaries of the air. Heart pounded in slim chest with wild abandon, rejoicing in the feeling of flight that was ingrained in the very marrow of his bones. Long caramel and white wings stretched out to embrace every draft, every breeze. Though his body is still stuck in a time seasons ago, his feathers have grown to the proper match. He was simply built for flying, body constructed with the lightest touch so that he could embrace the bright sapphire of the sky with wild abandon. So many lessons, a thousand starry nights where he had snuck away from the warmth of his father's side to let the warm currents drift lovingly beneath him. At last, it had paid off. Soft, bubbly laughter fell from tender lips, only to be swept away behind him on the wind. Ilaria clung to his shoulder, used to the repetitive motion of his body by then. Together they surveyed the small world beneath them, dark umber and bright emerald eyes sweeping together over crevices that, though well-known, were suddenly so new. Cera didn't dare climb too high, but it was so impossibly hard not to. Everything within told him to move, every change in wind making something instinctual twinge inside him, telling him to move with it, muscles preparing for something long before his mind made the conscious decision to continue a plain flight forward.

But he could not stay forever, as much as he wanted to. Midas was sure to be off by then, and he never missed welcoming his father back from his duties. Ever since the death of his mentor and idol, Cera had been very careful to always shower him with more love. Ilaria would just watch with calm, knowing eyes. They had grown exponentially closer with every day, becoming so in tune that they moved like magnets. Words were not needed, for she was still just a babe. Emotions had always been worth more to Cera anyways. Realizing he was stuck in thought, Cera dipped his left wing and turned in a slow, loose spiral, letting the wind guide him down without a thought. After a few times crashing and burning, and Ilaria hissing unhappily at their bumps and bruises, Cera had realized that if he over-thought everything, he would definitely mess it up. If he relied on age-old instincts that were born into every winged creature, and simply let his mind go, then anything was possible. Ilaria moved with him as he spiraled down, Cera being aware of how far to tilt to make sure she was not dislodged. Carefully he alighted on the sand once more, trying to make it as smooth as possible for his bonded. Jogging for a few steps to get rid of the extra momentum he had, the growing colt glanced around eagerly for Midas, or even Fina. He'd gotten a bit more attached to the fire bird, and she didn't scare him nearly as much as before. Sandy ears flickered as he moved over to their tree, finally used to the impossible lengths of his legs. It hit him at random times that he really was growing. How long had it been since he'd tripped helplessly over his legs? Or had been completely oblivious to the uses of his wings? That, perhaps, was a gift. Ever since he'd accomplished the basics of flying, he'd been working on overcoming every last trace of fear that had been placed inside him from the attack. That warm Tallsun day, he could say with the softest courage that he was almost normal again.
Image by Alex
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
We flew in loose formation, myself, Kri, Gaucho, and Aryel. The four victorious warriors of the Throat, funny as it was--I didn’t feel very victorious. Our aching wings carried us swiftly across the cloudless sky without a single groan rising from the group. We caught updrafts and coasted when able, but mostly Kri pressed us into a fast pace. Up, down, and then up again. By now I couldn’t feel my wings. They seemed like lifeless things obediently filling with air and then pushing against it on command.

Where was the glory and honor you might ask? Well, the tough reality of it was there is no glory, or honor, there was only tired soldiers returning from war.

Luckily, this flock sustained only a little damage from the recent battle, not enough to hinder the drive to get home as quickly as possible; but enough to cause warmed wings strain with each rise and fall. I had every confidence that our arrival would be welcomed as usual, that this rush wasn’t necessary. We had plucked only a few warriors from the group, myself included to aid our new sister clan while the other (warriors) remained to defend out boarders should some fool of head stallion try to test his might.

After hours of travel, budding green faded away into comforting colors of tan, bleached crimson and cream. The sun had just started its descent when we arrived, its warmth leaving our sweaty backs with promises for tomorrow. Dark and light specks of guard outlined the territory and welcomed us with grins of victory. Trumpeting our success loud and proud. I half smiled down at them in passing, weary but joyful to know that my family was safe. No surprises today, thank Earth. Since it was obvious that no attack had been issued, I said my farewells and banked dead south toward a splotch of emerald. The only sign of life in this blistered desert. It looked to my eyes to be the brightest of gems, and the most beautiful of all things.

I was looking at home.

It’s bad when you can smell your own stink. My body was hot and sweaty, I reeked of blood and perspiration. Glossy gold and silver were dulled by plasma and mud, grass stuck up between the plates of steel. I possibly looked how I felt. Frame was heavy under the influence of armor; my muscles realized just how spoiled they had it by getting an old taste of weighted alloy instead of the light collar.

Strained and sore; but at least I was home.

Alive, very tired, but home.

Who cared if every nerve burned tomorrow? Using the tips of my feathers to guide my descent, I tucked them in a little and landed roughly 20 yards or so from the tropic like treeline. A loud screech was my first greeting, Fina sprang from her perch in the trees and beelined toward me at top speed. Her beak brushed against my forelock fondly before she attempted to land between my shoulders only to find while my flesh was forgiving. Metal was not. Fiery attachments remained outstretched to achieve balance when talons slipped on smooth metal. Obviously she had momentarily forgotten her anger of being left behind because instead of acting sully Fina lavished me with adoration.

Bumping the tip of my muzzle against her chest affectionately I hummed softy, “I’m glad to see you too.”

Of course that was as far as her sensitivity went, after a moment she settled and remembered where I had been. Blocking off a wave of fresh annoyance that had suddenly clicked on like a switch, I turned face toward the sky to see a familiar dot practicing above the glade. Cera was flying, strong and beautiful. His large caramel wings were full of air and tilting in an ever tightening spiral. The sight of him brought a proud smile to my face. My son had successfully graduated into the rank of fledged.

This was a cause for celebration.

After I washed blood from my blades, oh, and rested as well.

Walking toward him once those little hooves had landed I called out when close enough to be heard without shouting, “Looks like someone has been sneaking in some extra training,” I smile and wonder if he could hear the raw notes of pride threatening to burst free, “Wanna head toward the lake and talk? I could use a bath.”
your dying love is a rose I have buried somewhere close to you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Downy patterned feathers caressed the cooling air of the desert, unaware of the golden gaze that lay upon him. Ilaria was far more aware, but did nothing to bring Cera's attention to the arrival of his father. Only when his hooves touched down did the youth realize Midas was standing within his vision. Joy and embarrassment tangled together within his chest. These flights under the moonlight had been kept well-hidden from his father, but he'd been caught red-handed. Nevertheless he was overjoyed to see him, face brightening until his eyes nearly glowed like an emerald sun. Before he could fully take notice of his father's state, Cera had turned slowing legs into a faster forward pace, wanting to greet him home. Smile faltered when he finally realized that Midas was wearing his full armor, something he never did when it was just the two of them. It no longer scared Cera to see it, didn't drag up more than a twinge of a memory from that fateful day. He was healing, but the sight brought up a fresh wave of worry. Exhaustion was painted heavily upon his father's visage, and he smelled as if he had been running for hours on end. Blood stained silver glinted softly in the stars that were slowly poking their way through the fabric of the midnight sky. Cera did not ask, but his eyes stopped glowing in their happiness, turning sober. Midas had not told him he was going off to fight, and that made him feel sick and almost angry. It was a baseless anger, even he knew that.

Familiar, loving tone brought him back from his thoughts. Again that same mixture of emotion came through to tangle and weave its way through his ribcage, hearing the pride and taking happiness from it. Even so, Cera hadn't meant for Midas to catch him so soon. Surprising him had definitely been on the agenda, but the youth didn't truly mind that much that he'd been caught early. Obedient nod shook his cranium, dark patch of forelock falling over his eyes momentarily. Shuffling forward, Cera smiled and brought his muzzle to his fathers. Uncaring of the sweat and blood that clung to him in an acrid cloud, Cera inhaled the underlying familiar scent of his dad. Soft maw touched Midas', a caress to welcome him home, to show his love. "Okay. Are you hurt dad?" Concern laced his tone, eyes creasing slightly in worry. It was hard to tell through the armor, after all. Ilaria scampered up to his head, making him wince slightly as she pulled on his mane and scratched him accidentally. Fluff ball of red and black landed atop his crown, between his ears. Dark brown orbs stared at Midas, recognition clear. Chirruping softly in greeting, glad to see the one that made her bonded so happy. Already she was smoothing over the concern her babe felt, sending him lighter emotions that slowly glossed over the lines of worry. Midas was there, he was safe, and Ilaria pushed the happiness of those thoughts into their connection until Cera let go of the small piece of anger within. She may be younger, but she cared for him almost like a mother. Tail flickered against her beloved's ears, and after one last crooning sound towards Fina and Midas, she slid her body down Cera's neck to rest once more between his wings, more active at night due to her species. Cera smiled fondly at her and turned towards the water, so comfortable with his homeland it was done without a single thought. Surely he had more energy than his father, excitement buzzing within his blood, but he walked slowly anyways. Cera was aware that Midas was tired, and wouldn't dare push him just because he was not.
Image by Alex
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
We could leaf through each other with surprising ease; so much so that upon approach I could see the gladness leave his eyes only to be replaced by either annoyance or anger. I couldn’t immediately tell which, but both were undesirable and not my intent. It was then that I realized my armor might be partly the cause, and the other was that this sudden attack was kept mostly private considering how sudden we had been called into action. An apologetic smile creased my tired face as he obediently nodded in agreement to my suggestion. I felt blessed to have a forgiving son.

Steel would have been removed the moment my duties ended in the fields; but Kri had been wary of letting down our guard until we knew for certain that the rest of our family was safe. Plus… as mentioned before…my alloy was nasty and desperately in the need for a rinsing before I slide it back into a collar.

My son pressed muzzle to me affectionately, not seeming to mind the stench that was radiating off me with power enough to wilt the grass we stood on. Pushing against that soft velvet with a stained maw I couldn’t hide my gratitude for his maturity, had this boy been a little younger he might have reacted more unfavorably. "Okay. Are you hurt dad?" Ilaria nosed her way closer to me by pawing up Cera’s back. Those intelligent eyes greeted me with a fondness that wasn’t deserved, kindly I nickered to her in response before answering the cherub, “I’m not hurt, only tired—we were called rather suddenly to fight beside Ktulu and her sister. Kri called a clutch of us to aid them in taking over the foothills. The battle was won, but our advantage of numbers did nothing to change the outcome of it.”

As I talk. I walk. Steps a little more brisk now that mouth is moving and the idea of a bath spurs my heels into action, “We honestly were not needed, I fought a brute with Kri and another warrior; only a few enemies showed and their leader was nowhere to be seen.” I think all were still rather disappointed by the fact that our fray had been less than a battle, more like a sentence.

The pools edge approaches and I do not pause. Fina hisses and rising from my back, she had no desire to partake in bathing and instead flees to a nearby tree branch. Wings extend to embrace the cool water, hooves sunk deep in wonderfully mud. It cools my feet and licks a blissful path down each leg. Desert purity washes away the muck and grim from flying and battle. But it doesn’t stop there, I push until body is covered and my neck is the only piece of flesh untouched. I bury muzzle deep within its pits and drink greedily, instantly feeling refreshed as water seeps between the plates and soothes the skin beneath.

Pausing a moment I allow the slow movement to cleanse my armor, crimson melting with blue until not a drop of blood remains. Now that Cera was older I felt like I could share more with him, in fact…I felt that if I didn’t. He would come to hate me for sheltering the truth from him.

There was a time when Cera would have exploded with anger and sorrow at seeing his father leave or return from battle. In fact learning of Tio's desire to take over the Throat, and of Midas preparing for battle, Cera had done just that. That one outburst had matured him farther on the subject, knowing that Midas would obey Kri no matter the consequences. It was his father's nature, and Cera knew when he was older that he too would fight for his home if he had to, and hoped to lead a life as a decent warrior even as he strived towards becoming the crafter of the Throat. Somewhere between their fight and the moment where he stood beneath his armored, exhausted father, Cera had come to accept that he would always worry over whether the painted stallion would return home. There was no use trying to hide any of these emotions, the thoughts that tumbled sadly through his brain. Even if he tried, Midas would still see right through him. They were as transparent as glass to each other, and Cera frankly wouldn't have it any other way. Communication was key, and Cera enjoyed always knowing how Midas was feeling in the present time.

Soft, greeting brush and they are immediately reacquainted. Cera sighed softly, big emerald eyes glowing with happiness that returned after disappearing from the image of his father's stained and silvered bodice. It was hard for Cera not to be happy, of course. Ilaria, on the other hand, was more than content when she was noticed and greeted. She always had to make a statement, of course, and hated to be ignored, a spin-off of Cera's inability to be quiet. The red panda hated being blown off as a simple companion, and had an attitude to go with it if you annoyed her by doing so. Midas almost always passed that little test of hers, but she was fond of the stallion anyways and likely would forgive him anyways. Squeaking happily she flickered her bushy tail in joy at his response, and Cera rolled his eyes with a grin. Even in their private moment, they nudged each other back to awareness and away from their bubble of love. Both listened as attentively to Midas as the other, and Cera's thin shoulders drooped with relief when his fears were quelled, knowing Midas would not lie to him about his injuries. Obediently the lanky colt put his legs in motion, the idea of a bath soothing even to him. Though the wind was cooling in the air, muscles were still worked no matter what and a light sweat had fallen along his hips and neck.

Ilaria caught on to the image that flashed through Cera's mind, the Oasis with its sparkling waters. Hissing softly she moved back up to his head from where she'd wriggled her way back down to his shoulders. Ilaria wasn't a big fan of water, and preferred small puddles as opposed to large bodies that made her hiss like a startled cat. Making an odd growling sound of discontent, Ilaria's tail flickered harshly against the creamy ears of her bonded. Cera whined softly in return and shook his head slightly to remind her that he was aware of her hatred of the Oasis. Even after he proved to her time and again that he would never drop her from his head into the water, no matter how deep he went, Ilaria still resisted. The cherub wished to comfort her, but Midas' words jerked him harshly back to the conversation. Emeralds narrowed, anger seeping into normally bright orbs. "They didn't even show up? They just left their family, the people that rely on them, to a battle that you say they could never have handled?!" Indignation and rage filled every normally soft tone in his voice. Cera perhaps, being raised in a family with such strong bonds like the Throat, had fiercely strong ideas about loyalty and not abandoning your family. Even himself being abandoned by his mother could have added to that. The thought of Midas, or Kri, or Azzuen- Cera sent up a silent prayer to his father's mentor- ever leaving the Throat to an invasion made his skin itch, made him want to roar like a lion hidden inside a lamb. "They should never have been a leader!" he hissed fiercely, wings bristling and feathers becoming ruffled like an angry kitten. By then his pale hooves had found the edge of the water, and Ilaria's concern kept her firmly rooted and surprisingly silent. Without pause Cera strode into the slowly cooling liquid, ears so far back they risked flattening against his skull. Tail whipped fiercely at the ideas that flooded his brain, and he tried to quell the anger. Grandfather Earth and the wise old turtle had believed in him, told him that he was a good soul for not succumbing to hatred. Cera likely didn't have a bad bone in his body, but the irritation and need to yell at the unnamed leader made him rather touchy in that moment. Giving Midas room, Cera cooled his head and body simultaneously as he sank deep into the water. Sighing softly, he let mottled cream and white wings float weightlessly in the water beside him. Ilaria made a few noises of displeasure but said nothing, resorting to grooming and patting his ears awkwardly until they relaxed and the tight lines in his face faded away to relaxation. Anger did not suit him. Silence took the air then, and Cera let it. It was never awkward with Midas.
Image by Alex
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

"They didn't even show up? They just left their family, the people that rely on them, to a battle that you say they could never have handled?!"

Silence. I didn’t see the point in answering, what could be said? The battle had been assured without our aid, and with it we had only shamed the enemy that showed up. Three against one is hardly an honorable thing to participate in; indeed it was hard not to feel guilty for the brash sap I had been placed to overcome. "They should never have been a leader!" The faintest hints of a smile tugs the corners of my lips, even this child held more wit than their betters seemed to hold. “Our world is full of cowards,” I acknowledge sadly. Cowards, traitors, murderers, and liars. My face lingers above the water, peering into a reflection hidden by silver steel. Lips drip from a thirst that had already been quenched. Silently I ponder wretchedly, ‘What if this battle had been for the Throat?’ Sure, we would all like to think that each would stand and protect their homeland, but what if our leaders abandoned us? Knowing the full clout of what hell would come?

Water seeps between my plates, cleansing, buffering until each sliver was purified. Not an ounce of bare space was missed. It felt brilliant to be clean again, I had left a dusty warrior on the bank and would emerge without the weight of muck. Mail slithers along my spine, retracting from flesh to reveal dark wet skin. The protective pieces fall back into their sheath shaped collar. A literal burden had been removed, and my body responds favorably; shoulders straightened and neck rose higher--limbs no longer felt drug down. Essentially it felt one thousand times better to have my armor off. Swan like wings closed behind me, each pushing water aside until folded snuggly against my stomach. Hooves stamp their mark in soggy lake soil when I turn to Cera, this made successful squishing sounds with each step that was taken.

“Ilaria, doesn’t like baths?” My intention was to move conversation toward something more pleasant. Slowly I approach his side, white water awash as I move toward my family. Velvet soft snout extends to run across the caramel fur of his neck, scratching that spot just above the junction were his wing connects shoulder bone. “Perhaps you can use your charm to get Fina down here; since she won’t touch water aside from the rare occasion I see her drink.” Through the trees I can almost feel those eyes barreling into me, sharply correcting that she was most certainly not going to be convinced to do anything. “You already know about my day. Tell me what you did today?”

Such anger over the subject was surprising to the frail cherub, but he couldn't help but imagine himself and his loved ones being abandoned by Kri or Sumati. It made his chest ache, both with anger at this unnamed leader, and with compassion and worry for those who had been driven out. Had they been driven out? Suddenly feeling sick at the thought, Cera turned his emeralds over to the dark face of his father. Hardly registering the words that sadly graced his ears, the patched colt spoke slowly and tremulously through the sudden lump in his throat. "W-Where did all the herd members go?" Surely there were foals, families! Mothers, fathers, mates? The idea that someone could take over and eject all the loyal lovers of the land made him want to cry. Where would the newly outcasted souls go? The Wilds were no place for horses, for dark things lingered and the Gods could not offer much protection away from the land of their influence. In his mind Cera remembered the dark night he'd been bleating so pitifully for someone, anyone, to find him. He'd been blessed beneath the moon that night, and with one fateful meeting his life had been turned around in the most beautiful way when Midas had sheltered him and taken him in. Would other lost foals end up the same way? Wandering through darkness, crying out for someone they would never find? Mourning the loss of a home that was all they had ever known? Surely his thoughts were written in the plainest, most conspicuous language on his visage, but he was desperately hopeful that Midas had not fight alongside Ktulu and her sister, as he had told Cera, and let them suddenly orphan so many from their home. Part of him hoped that Midas had not, and if he had, Cera also prayed that he would lie. Spare him the images that he could not shake, of frail little ones and despairing families, of confusion and panic and bitterness.

Cera decided that if he ever aided an invasion, he would try his hardest to convince his superiors not to eject willing soldiers from a home their hearts had tied to. Swallowing this down like an anxiety pill, he allowed Ilaria back into the blockade he'd formed in his memories. Like a river running over the rough edge of a stubborn rock, she soothed him and warped him back to a shape he was happy with. Again the tension seeped away, burning the poison out of him with her undying love. Cera imagined the hateful, horrible emotions seeping out from every pore to stain the water instead of his soul. Grandfather Earth would not approve of such emotions, and Cera had decided he would walk a road of light and well-meaning, even if he had to be shown the brutality of war sometime in his life. Ilaria let him muse, but any time his thoughts dipped too dark for her she would huff and bite at his ear, only to fondly caress his head with clumsy paws. She nearly suffocated him with her love, and yet she kept him in line better than any mother, challenged him better than any sibling. Everything he could ever want, ever need, he could see within her loving liquid chocolate eyes.

When body shifted next to him, waves rippled gently outwards and alerted Cera to his father's finish in bathing. Smile rose to his face before he could even think of twitching the needed muscles, crown turning to face Midas in return. Laughing when Ilaria caught the translated image-version of the stallion's words and hissed in reply, cementing the statement. "No, she doesn't like big bodies of water. She's afraid she'll drop and drown, but she trusts me not to let her fall." At that, Ilaria seemed almost flattered and cooed lovingly at her bonded, stroking one tan cheek with her bushy tail. Cera giggled, regarding her adoringly. The trust between the two was surprisingly strong despite how recently they'd been bonded. Grandfather Earth had peered deep into his heart, and given Cera the only part that was missing. Ilaria had never been on his mind back then. A companion, yes, but of what breed he did not know. So imagine his surprise when her small form had flopped weakly to the sand at his hooves around a season ago, begging for nourishment. He'd never loved anyone as strongly as he loved her, except perhaps Midas and Hototo. Realizing he'd gotten caught up in her love once more, he had to yank himself back from the bubble they could easily get caught up in together. Midas' words were caught just in time, another giggle issuing from the youth's throat. Fina was perhaps his best friend, though he wasn't sure she felt the same, and knew she would never bathe if she could help it. Soft sound escaped his lips at the gentle touch to a place he could not reach himself, a muscle easily stretched and made sore through flight lessons. Cera smiled sweetly and turned to brush his own lips over Midas' left cheek, tugging gently upon his mane. "Of course not, dad! She can't fly if her wings are wet, just like us! And she's a fire bird, daddy," he chided, smiling and eyes glowing like small green embers. Teases flow easily from his lips, and yet he is sincere in his defense of Fina. Cera is nearly physically unable to lie or craft the notes of sarcasm in his words, and likely never will master such things. He is honest and open, and wants to stay that way. So when Midas asks of his day, he starts slowly moving pale hooves through the muck and out of the cooling water as night fell far too fast upon the desert, words already falling with total honesty from his throat. Ilaria grumbled and growled softly at the wetness that clung to his shoulders, but slid back down to her normal seat nonetheless. Always more active at night, her large eyes flickered from her bonded, to Midas, to Fina, and back. "Illy and I went down to the beach and took a nap, and then we went and found Onni! After that, Illy went hunting and I helped, and then we sketched some designs I was thinking about. After that I went swimming while she slept, and then we went flying!" Softly chirping as if he really was a bird, voice excited and bright with vigor and light that was finally, at long last, returning. No darkness, even the one d'Artagnan had pulled over him, could keep him down for very long.
Image by Alex
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas
War was not a pretty beast to behold. It bore gashing teeth and piercing horns, wings of steel and eyes full of discontent. No, it wasn’t an easy creature to gaze upon. Both sides felt righteous in their choice to battle, both felt justified with endless reasons so numerous that the stars above would seem easy to count. Survival had been at the top of the list for this particular fray, as it often was for others. Ktulu’s herd had to merge with a territory, or face starvation, and death in the coming winter. The wilds were no place for mare, stallion or foal. They were an unforgiving land, danger was always close at hand.

Since nobody was willing to share leadership, or step down. Battles sued as a result.

Basically it all summed up to one thing: Pride and survival.

None would have been cast out had their hearts swallowed the bitter taste of pride, but alas. We live in a world of lies, holding only a few close to breast in surrender. When Cera asked in that shaken concerned voice, "W-Where did all the herd members go?” I sighed and looked into those bright emeralds, pure as the white on my wings; yet still unstained with the act of battle. Truthfully I answered him, “They surrendered peacefully once the battle was won,” Soothing the wet fur along his shoulder I added as a measure for easement, “Only a few hardy warriors left the ranks, most remained under the protection of Foothills—under new leadership.”

Ilaria didn’t appear to like my question much, she hissed at it while Cera explained the reasons behind her dislike for our lake. After hearing both Ilarias and Finas defense I couldn’t help but mirror his giggles with a rich chuckle, glancing at those big caring eyes of his bonded through half-closed lids I murmured, “Fair enough.” My tethering soothed Fina as well, affectingly reminding her that my intent had only been to jest. She bristled a little and then did something that surprised. Her beaked opened, but instead of an angry or mournful stretch. The firechild sang. A delicate sound sprang from the heart of her being, much like that of a songbird, but the tone was more wild and passionate than that of a passive avian. She hummed for him, for a child that had driven its way into her little soul absent a mental bond to carry it. The little foal she protected day in and day out when my physical self couldn’t linger.

We kid around and fought as brother and sister, but she loved this family nearly as much as we instinctively loved each other. Cera had become her teacher over time, and she, a silent protector from heaven. Her song wanes, and finally dies. I turned back to Cera with a smile, already tuning in when my son speaks of his day. It was wonderful to witness light I had missed so much, his spirit finally returned. It seemed forever ago since the shadows of fear crept upon us doing the night. Not since after having visited the lord of Earth, who had breathed new life into me, teaching me how to be a better person. I followed the patched Cherub from the lake, water clinging to my sides making my flesh feel cool and refreshed.

His flying had begun to prefect itself, and obviously the lad had taken an interest in a future talent; but I couldn’t help but wonder—was his magic starting to develop? There was pride in his accomplishments, but also dread. My children were growing so fast, springing up right before my eyes. He would be a yearling soon, ready to enter our world and perhaps even leave the Throat. A thought that turned my stomach round with flops of discomfort.

“Sounds like a busy day,” I said quietly with just a hint of guilt creeping in. I had missed all of this, and more. My body paused on the bank, letting the last moisture slowly drip away, “Have you met with Coris yet?”. I asked after a moment, “He might be interested in hearing about your sketches---“ it was hard to not regret. I wasn't able to be part of the picture every moment.

Though it was doubtful that the honest stallion would ever lie to Cera, it was a well-known fact in his subconscious that should he ever choose to wield that power, Cera would believe him regardless. So when his smooth tenor crooned assurances, the cherub let his own slim shoulders relax. No others would be kicked out of their homes, then. That was a relief. Ilaria didn't care as much for this conversation as the next, so her attention only shifted to Midas when their words came to involve her. There was no reason for Cera to speak, staring down at his reflection. Still, he was figuring out where he wanted to go in life. When he sketched with Ilaria, his beloved sharing in his passion, there was nothing more he wanted than to beg Coris to teach him the finer points of construction. Yet, when he heard of stories like this, thoughts just started crumpling up helplessly in his brain and he was confused by his own desire to follow in his father's footsteps. Blinking down at the slightly warped mirror image of his own emerald eyes, Cera inwardly sighed. Was it always this difficult to choose between callings?

Soothing chuckle rolled off the lake's surface and Cera smiled brightly at the dark face he knew better than himself. Ilaria, too, peered at him with her liquid umber eyes. Had her displeasure over the idea of falling into the water echoed differently in Midas' eyes? The panda was rather fond of him, and did not want to make him feel as if she disliked him or his words. Cera rolled his eyes at her internally and she slapped his neck with her tail, causing him to snort out a laugh. Jasper eyes turned to Fina with a smile, wanting her to join in on the fun, when she opened her beak and did something that made them go wide. She sang, a soft ebb and flow of melodies that echoed in his heart and reminded him of things long before the days of magic, of pure wilderness and exotic lands that he'd never seen but felt as if he could touch through her voice alone.

All throughout the song she weaved, Cera's and Ilaria's eyes remained only on her. Though the small creature upon his crown had at first instinctively feared the predatory bird, they both loved her dearly, and she sang so beautifully Cera could not help but feel warmth and pride bloom in his heart. He knew not why she sang, but when she finished he fondly murmured her name. "Fina...that was so pretty." Who the last part was directed to was open to interpretation, most likely Fina and Midas both. Smiling at the beautiful crimson creature, he reluctantly turned his eyes from her, reveling in the joy she displayed that was rather hard to find in her.

Soft hum was all that was needed in reply to the fact that his day had been rather full of excitement. Slowly he migrated out of the water, muscles delightfully cooled after a long day of play and flight. Once he was fully free of the comfortable lake, his beloved curled up happily on his back, Cera started to slowly move his wings in an effort to dry the delicate feathers. Mention of Coris immediately had his ears flickering back to the other, excitement lacing his every feature. "No, I haven't yet...do you think he would like them?" Ilaria poked her head up at the mention of it, just as thrilled by the idea as her bonded. Hope glowed in his voice, legs moving restlessly at the thought. He missed the times when Midas would watch him sketch, or take him out on small vacations and adventures outside of the Throat. Though it had given Cera a sense of independence and the ability to care for himself, it often left him lonely despite his bonded's presence. Even so he never complained, merely enjoying his father's time when it was given to him.
Image by Alex
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

Coris was a kind fellow, with a talent for building. So when Cera chipped, “Do you think he would like them?” I smiled encouragement and replied, “Yes--you should pay him a visit soon.” There was no reason why the leather maker wouldn’t take on an apprentice; and my child had been needing one since the unfortunate banishment of his last mentor. I stepped clear of the water, heading toward our sacred tree. The ivory magnolia had waxy leaves and soft white buds. Its branches hung low enough to protect against us from the rare rain storm, but high enough that a full grown adult could stand easily beneath it wide branches. Softly I asked my son a question when we had arrived beneath it, “Would you show me a little of your work?” His little mind was a river of creativity, a river that should never be dammed up by the stressors of life. It was a trait of good parents to want the best for their children. I wouldn’t push battle work on him, though it was insisted that he train as any other youth. Even a crafter had to know the art to be able to protect himself.

A general’s son wasn’t expected to become a warrior and I would be proud of anything that he choose to do. There was a few questions lingering on my mind though, ones that begged to be answered because I knew that his teenage body would soon be fostered by an adolescent brain; if it wasn’t already. Quietly I began as bravely as a father might, “You’ll be old enough to travel from the herdlands soon—what job are you wanting to take up in the herd?” Though my tone sounded just as gentle and kind as it always did, it didn’t waver because I didn’t directly ask him, “Are you going to leave?” Having him, Fina, and Ilaria made this clan really feel like a real family again. Just like it had before my dad, mom and Norse died. What would I do without him here? What did I have to come home to each and every night? A bare tree, absent scuffled dirt of Cera’s play, and without the quiet sounds of their sleep breathing in the early morning.