the Rift

A Message in a Bottle [Mirage]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
Finally the invasion had ended. But that didn’t mean that we, of the Edge, could rest. We had so much more to endure. There hadn’t been any fatalities but that didn’t make the war any less of a war. Our alliance with the Foothills had still been new when threats of battle came knocking at their door and I resented the fact that there was nothing that we could do to aid them. I pitied them for their loss but I couldn’t linger on thoughts of agony and pain anymore, no, I had much more in store for the Foothills. But as it appeared, I wasn’t alone in my sentiments to make use of their abandoned soldiers. The Edge had opened their doors to those who had lost so much in battle and I wanted to be able to take advantage of such fortune. That’s not to say that I thought such loss was the source of our prosperity, but we could greatly benefit from the gain, even if it came at a price.

However, with so much confusion swelling in the wake of the invasion and so many new recruits, I was left feeling a little stricken with the weight of it all. I had spent a bit of time in the Threshold trying to contribute to our numbers and yet, nothing ever seemed to hold true. I had seen a few faces around from time to time but not nearly as much as I would have liked. In fact, I had recruited Ursula only this past week and I dare say that I hadn’t seen her since. Perhaps it was time that I called upon her just to see how she was getting along… Then again, I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to stray far from the Edge in search of her until I had had a chance to speak with Mirage.

Lately I’d been feeling a little useless, seeing as I had been forced to stand aside during the invasion only to find that soon after my threshold efforts had seemingly gone to waste. It was taking everything I had to avoid going mentally insane… All around us, plots and threats of violence seemed to make up whispers upon the wind and here we sat, mere sitting ducks waiting for misfortune to happen our way. We had to do something, anything, to encourage some damn activity amongst our members before we too ended at the hands of some group not unlike the Grey. However, at least all of us would go down fighting, for I knew Mirage would never abandon us in our time of need.

Early morning had brought me to wakefulness with all the fixings of a restless night. My nerves seemed to be aflame with anxiety rooted deep within my gut and with the rolling of thunder pushing over the horizon I felt that it was time to step forward. The stale scent of rain rose the stiffened point of my shoulder blades into a hardened peak which spoke volumes of my apprehensions at this day and I felt it was necessary to at least try to make peace with my concerns. Whether it was the impending storm that brought so much worry to the lines of my face was to be debated, but much like my sense of urgency, the storm was rolling in.

I watched as the clouds darkened overhead and sighed briefly at a breeze that carried with it the warmth of an otherwise sweltering summer day. I was glad to feel the heat pass but it did little to encourage my foul mood otherwise. My little Essetia would be safely tucked away at her mother’s side by now but her welfare still pushed me to consider going to her and yet, I could not. I didn't know what I stood waiting for, but it was something all the same. I closed my eyes as the winds began to pick up and perhaps if I could let them, they would carry me away.

OOC|| Forgive this horrid-ness. The next will be better.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

Yes, much had happened. The invasion of the Foothills was a tragedy, one made all the worse due to the circumstances upon which it unfolded - Mirage felt like she had betrayed the lands of the Foothills, but how could she fight for them, when doing so would jeopardise her relationship with the Dragon's Throat? Her friendship with Kri had existed for years, where her alliance with the Foothills had been official on and off, with the change in leadership being such a common-day occurrence - she had not even met with the former Chief, Jackal.

The WeyrLeader's mind was awhirl with the happenings, but it was not the first time she had felt the weight of a million responsibilities settle upon her shoulders. Still, the sensation never became 'easier' to bear, always it caused some amount of stress, some amount of fatigue, some deep want to unload this burden. She bore it willingly, however, even if the original responsibility was placed upon her by others who chose to follow her, who elected her their leader even though she had not placed herself forth as an option. She had always strived for such things as equal opportunity, balance and peace, it was humbly surprising for her to find others that believed the same, that agreed with her methods for attaining such things.

The little wraith could smell the change in the wind, the humidity that rolled in off the sea. Along the cliffside she walked, a shadowy wraith outlined by a rising sun and an ominous sky. Above her floated a dragon, laziness twirling upon the sea breeze, appearing far more relaxed than what inner turmoils ran rampart within. She looked at her dragon fondly, allowing herself a smile at the happiness her bonded attempted to inject into her through the mental link that only they were privy to. Ahead, she saw the outline of the large mass that could mean several of the beasts who resided here.

But there was only one who held such unique protrusions from their shoulder blades, only one who was a pegasus but had never taken flight, one whose feathered appendages had no hope of ever lifting the titanic mass. Thor, she thought fondly, as Akaith sped ahead of her, chortling a greeting above the great beast with happy enthusiasm. Within Akaith's claws there was an amulet, a stone encased in a glass shell, presented to the WeyrLeader and her dragon by the Seer - a gift from the Moon Goddess herself for Mirage to use as gifts to those whom she deemed worthy. With the glowing jewel, Mirage had placed a special magic, a spell unique to her and her alone, the Dark magic that allowed her to transform into a dragon.

She called out to the stallion, pushing herself into an easy trot, observing him all the while. Akaith motioned to land upon his back as her bonded approached, making the obvious observation of he is troubled. Extended her muzzle to him, Mirage hoped to brush along his shoulder, a friendly gesture that contained no romance or awkwardly deep emotions, but that of a comradely affection, an easy acceptance of one's kin. "Thor." She spoke gently, warmly, murmuring the name in greeting as well as intending to lead onto something more.

"I have been meaning to see you. I have a gift for you." Moving herself to stand alongside him, and inadvertently use him as a wind block, she positioned herself so Akaith could hop from his back onto hers, and show him the amulet. The dragon chirruped impatiently, longing to tie it amongst the dark strands of his mane. "You take more responsibility on yourself than your rank dictates Thor, I want you to know I appreciate it - I am glad to have you be a part of the Qian." With a smile curving her lips in genuine happiness, the mare looked keenly at the steed, golden eyes betraying nothing of the workings of her devious mind.

This was only the beginning of the conversation, after all.
larfsalot.deviantart.com

Her presence did not go unnoticed and I did not hesitant to turn to her with a welcome smile. The little golden dragon that joined us was sure to make introduction and I murmured softly to her as her claws alit upon the swells of my back. The soft grappling of hair between talented hooks caught me by surprise but Mirage was already explaining Akaith’s actions in a voice that spoke of restless nights. The soft weight of the amulets tugging against the thick roots of my mane made my heart lift ever so slightly. I was warm with a feeling akin to happiness despite the dreary days ahead. The two of us stood rather silently for a time and I couldn’t help but think that the weight of the world seemed to ride on our shoulders as we gazed into the storm ahead. Like old friends, I felt as if nothing had to be said as we stood side by side. I respected Mirage not because she was my liege but because she was a respectable mare, even if her title were to be stripped. “Thank you Mirage… I am quite honored.

The weather began to press forward and watching it come made me wonder what could be done. So much change was headed our way and yet, as if I stood at the eye of the storm, the calm was almost surreal. It was as if my thoughts were racing a hundred miles per hour while my physical body stood still. Whatever caused me to feel this way seemed to be echoed in Mirage because her eyes were able to share with me what her words could not. However, when she broke the silence again, all traces of whatever weighed on her had disappeared. “I am more than delighted to serve the Quian in whatever is asked of me or otherwise. However, I have noticed that we are more than ready for a herd meeting if you know what I mean. We need to know who exactly remains faithful to our cause because it seems as if we a few and far between due to the absence of so many despite my constant efforts to see the problem abolished.

I looked toward Akaith now, eyeing her softly as if she too were an old trusted friend. It was easy to look upon the two with affection of a friendly kind as it was one that put me at ease in their presence- even on the cloudiest days.

The stale fragrance of rain began to waft upon the breeze which was a blessing within itself because while the thunder and lightning often brought with them a sense of dread, the rain itself brought life. After every storm there was a moment of sheer bliss when the sun shone down from the heavens and I was waiting for that said moment to shed light on my life as it had when I had accepted this mare’s invitation to join the Edge. Looking out over the cliff’s face I decided not to let my worries get the best of me. Whatever lie ahead was something that would only make sense when the time came and I was more than happy to wait for the light, especially if it meant waiting for it in the best of company.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

"It is imbued with magic - my magic. Use it wisely."

The mare spoke of the amulet that Akaith expertly weaved into the throngs of Thor's thick mane, doing as she had done to her bondmate's mane countless times, only with the purpose of tying something within the strands. Her deft claws were soon finished with the task, and she chirruped triumphantly when she finished, commenting to Mirage a mental image of Thor employing the magic that was stored within it. A familiar hum resonated from the amulet that rested upon Mirage's breast at the length of a thin chain, and she was reminded of the sea dragon that had gifted her with the opportunity to travel across the lands as a shadow should she but will it - Thor's embodiment of her magic would result in a large brown dragon, similar to her mate's bronze scales but slightly different, darker, duller in sheen but still brilliant and strong. With her head tilted, she viewed him, seeing within him the dragon he might one day become, should he want to use the jewel hanging in his mane.

The weather continued shifting around them, the calm before the storm as ominous as it ever was, however the waves thrashing faster and harder against the rocks was as clear a signal as any as to the approaching storm. Lightning flashed, and several seconds after it, thunder followed. Mirage breathed the scent of the storm in deeply, allowing it to refresh her, to look forward to the clean palette that would be left in its wake. He spoke of serving the Qian, and the little shadow mare allowed herself a small, hidden smile, which grew move devious as he continued speaking of things that truly were not his responsibilities to worry about. The mare would have laughed, but she was far too coy for that - it was time to pull some theatrics.

In reaction to his words, the mare raised a single brow, looking incredulously at the steed. Her ears swivelled, and Akaith even gave a grumpy chortle, boxing the large steed with a fisted claw before taking flight and promptly diving over the edge of the cliff, squawking all the way. With her tone heavily guarded, the little shadow mare spoke, ensuring her tones were painted with the thickest coating of dire seriousness.

"And who are you to judge when it is an appropriate time to call the herd together? Who are you to judge me?" She pressed tossing her crown as if to dismiss him before turning on her heel and beginning to walk away. Akaith reappeared from over the cliff's lip then, chortling all the while still at her bonded. Mirage looked up to the golden dragon, snorting in mock dismay and disappointment. "We could have him punished, you know. What would you have be done to him for speaking so boldly to his Queen, my beloved?" The little dragon wheeled about in the air then, barely able to keep her grumpy façade on, her chortles of mock anger slowly revolving into a pleasant dragonsong of light, happy amusement.

"Perhaps over the cliff's edge, or left upon the borders of the Basin? No, my dear, we need something far more harsh then that." The WeyrLeader turned her lithe frame about now, tilting a single eye onto him, observing him keenly through it.

"Hmm." Walking up to him again, she placed herself before him, so that they might stand face to face. Extending her muzzle to him, she smiled broadly, warmly, the happiness leaking into her very eyes, the softness transforming her façade into the truth.

"Thor the True, the Strong, the Weary, the Noble, the Gentleman; you are a born leader, an asset to this family, and so that I might avoid punishing you in the future for your bold words, I am forced to ask you but one question." Here she hesitated, only to prolong his torture. With a devious smirk curving her lips, and a gentle breath of air pushing a kiss against his forelock, the DragonHeart brought forth her voice once more.

"Would you stand by me, as my equal, my fellow WeyrLeader of the World's Edge?"

larfsalot.deviantart.com

The stones hung heavy upon my neck as I listened to Mirage explain their worth. I had been more than relieved to find that her magic had been stored deep within them ready for my call should the day ever come. I wondered what it would feel like to embody the powers of my lead and use them for my will alone. Would the dark magic move me? Destroy me? Perhaps my optimism had been compromised somewhere along my path to understanding but I didn’t let my doubts overshadow my exuberance for life very long. Instead, I imagined myself very much the dragon that hid within one of the stones upon my nape. He was a constant reminder of my favor for the Weyrleader; she had plucked me from the Threshold and allowed me a future beyond my greatest dreams. Whatever road I had been upon before had been altered that day and I did not resent her for it, but rather thanked her. She had been a light in the darkness despite her shadowy appearance. One day, I would find the words to express my gratitude, even if that day was simply not the present.

Below us I could hear the rolling of the waves and for once it seemed to sooth my heart. It was a constant that I enjoyed while in the Edge along with the never-ending tendrils of pale mist. However, here at the face of the cliff, they seemed to dissipate in the breeze. Was it mere chance that we had chosen such a place to watch the storm roll in? Before me, choices and decisions hung freely upon the growing gale and as I watched them bob and sway, I exhaled deeply… blowing them away. It seemed that I had much more on my mind than I cared to admit, but I couldn’t seem to put a finger on what exactly bothered me. Was it this lack of knowing where we were headed as a family that put me in such a mood? Looking out across the wide expanse of the ocean’s body, I resolved to let it pass- just let everything pass. Even when a storm seemed to be headed our way, would we not stay strong in the face of its danger? Together we would stand until it passed and just like that, I let go. The invasion, the possible threat of a new band called the Assassins, anything and everything, it would all pass.

When I thought that I had ignored reality for long enough, I turned a quiet gaze to Mirage who had cocked a brow at me. Her eyes were dark and ominous and for the first time since meeting the little black mare, I felt… ashamed? Or perhaps she frightened me? In any case, whatever she was thinking was not something that I felt I was very inclined to know myself. However, I couldn’t help but wonder what exactly I had said or done to engage such a reaction for even Akaith was rumbling irritably alongside her bonded. I was tempted to question her sudden change in mood but knowledge and perhaps a weakness of mind told me otherwise. Besides, mares often had an issue with anyone other than themselves pointing out variations in their temperament and I wasn’t going to be the sad sap that unleashed hell from this fiery little she-devil. I watched as Akaith dove over the cliff’s edge and some frantic voice inside my head inside warned me to hold my tongue from here on out. Whatever I’d done or said to offend Mirage was obviously going to be addressed here and now and there was nothing that I could do to rebuke it.

However, I hadn’t been ready for what came from that mare’s mouth and perhaps never will be. The shock that seemed to register on my face must have been one hell of a sight to see because I could feel the air being sucked from my lungs in a sudden whoosh. My eyes widened with the heft of her insinuation and it took all of my resolve not to retort and walk away but once again, I stood fast in the face of a storm that had inadvertently found its way to my side. “Mirage, I am not judging you… That was not my intention.” The words seemed to find their way through gritted teeth and the more I tried, the easier it became- or at least that’s what I told myself from time to time. However, as she turned to move away from the conversation it was all I could do to hold myself back from muttering every name in the book back at her. Mares. They had a way of getting under my skin and Mirage was especially good at it. I repeated the statement in question silently for a few seconds and paused to watch as Akaith resumed her position upon her bonded’s back. I hadn’t said anything out of the ordinary… I hadn’t even given her a reason to shift in disposition so suddenly, had I? But of course, as mares will do, she wouldn’t let it lie. Her antagonizing tones lifted above the breeze and her mockery was enough to make me bite down upon my tongue to literally hold it from lashing out.

The Basin? I’d rather pitch myself over the cliff than submit to the Basin anomalies. What exactly had come over her anyhow? I couldn’t even come up with a good excuse to defy her words anymore because all of my thoughts had ceased completely. My chest seemed to expand and stay there like I was holding my breath and maybe I was because as she turned to approach again, I couldn’t help but release a tired sigh. “I don’t know what I’ve done here to offend you… or you.” I looked haphazardly to Akaith who only moments ago had been kind enough to tie the now sagging amulets into my mane. She was always quite a theatrical little thing but she had always been friendly enough; there was simply no reckoning with them so I decided to stop trying. However, the situation proved more confusing still as she launched into various titles for me in which didn’t seem to fit this “conversation” at all. I could feel the bulge in my eyes as the strain of her assault began to take its toll. WHAT was going on?!

The softness of her breath now against my face made me still and perhaps I was waiting for her to just beat me to a bloody pulp but what came next had nothing to do with violence, no, not at all. Instead, she chose to shock me once more; I think she planned on trying to give me some kind of heart attack. Had the words WeyrLeader really come from her mouth? Would I be her equal? Shit, this was just getting more confusing by the second. I had been so set on becoming Captain, being able to help with the changes that sometimes came our way… but this… this was entirely so out of the blue. All I could do was nod solemnly before letting a smile break my face for the first time in ages (at least it felt that way). “Of course… I mean, of course!” Words certainly weren’t proving to be my strong suit in that moment but after that horrendous emotional roller coaster she put me through, I figured it was warranted.

Was this really happening or did I really just become the King of the Edge…? Mares- why did they have to be such confusing animals?