the Rift

[JUDGED] Nothing to Lose. A Point to Prove. [Kri]

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No time for lies and empty fights

Hector dropped two fore hooves and gently lowered his stout legs onto the heated ground, dust picking up at his cantering momentum that was eventually brought to a halt near the crystal blue sea that shimmered in the suns rays. Wings that were splashed in his signature orange slotted themselves comfortably into his toned sides and his gaze shifted to watch the ocean that lapped over his hooves. He considered his role amongst the mighty Throat herd, that he was just one small wave in a tsunami of members, a wave that needed to become more powerful. So if Kri summoned her warriors he would not doubt himself and could stand confidently by her side and defend the home he had come to love. These little insecurities were not good in a fight, his old teacher had always taught him the value of a clear mind in the midst of battle.

Another tiny wave lapped over his feet as teeth clenched and his resolve took over his emotions. Leonine tail flicked and he turned like a stallion that knew what path now lie before him. He thought of those he admired, the bravery of Midas who stood the lone General and the sorrow of Azzuen. He knew little of Azzuen though he remembered the stallion's motivation in his first ever warriors meet and it saddened him greatly to learn that such a fine fighter had passed away, lastly there was Kri, a role model to look up to and a goal to achieve. Hector was young and naive, but he filled himself with purpose. "Come Veci, there is something we must do."

The boggart responded happily, taking strength from Hector's growing excitable mood. It would be Veci's first battle though the boggart could do little other than offer support, the experience was all that counted and as the years tallied up the child would soon learn that he had more power than he first realized. His orange bonded stood with his back to the ocean with the sun high in the sky and raised his velvet lips to the warm air. Calling for his Lead. "Kri! My mighty Commander I ask for your aid in a friendly spar. So I may one day stand as tall as you do."

His voice was filled with determination and a sense of duty, Hector desired no win or loss against the formidable Resolute. He instead sought a peace within his heart that would give him confidence for the rough days ahead.

--

[418 words]
[Friendly Spar :D
800 word max. 3 Rounds + Closing Defence.
Set where the ocean meets the Dragons Throat at Midday.
Feel free to use magic/companions]

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!
Kri the Resolute

I heard the call while I was soaring along the borders, patrolling the coast to make sure no unwanted visitors were arriving from the sea. It was rare for equids to cross the ocean, but we still had to maintain our coastal borders, lest Tio hatch a plan to sneak in through the waters of our home and catch us off guard.

The contrast of red and blue reminded me wearily of Ophelia's eyes. The recent invasion my kin and I had aided her with had, frankly, been a joke. I long knew that the Foothills could not stand on their own, which might explain why their leaders came to speak to me about an alliance at each turn. Still, they had not been strong since the days of Gossamer and Indy. Even their former bitch of a leader, Svetlana, could not fight to save her skin. I admire the foolish bravery of those who had lived in the land, though. It was obvious, even as their ranks formed to face against their invaders with a shred of a chance. Our numbers and our strength were heavier, but not our hearts and courage; those were soundly equal on the field, I think. It had come down to brute muscle and not spirit.

I still will not forget their bravery.

One of the stallions who had missed out on the venture (if that battle was even something to be missed), Hector, was the one calling me forth. I smile, knowing his voice well from the time we met in the Threshold. I find it rather humorous, comical even, that the giant wishes to stand as tall as me. I may be tall in spirit, but I am far from reaching his massive height; I am well aware. I fly on light wings, a chuckle escaping my lips. I knew his meaning, but I could hardly escape the irony of the statement. I see his figure, outlined against the rich blues and reds, a strange creature at his side. I hover above him, my shadow dancing on the ground some twenty feet away from his general area, before I finally swoop down.

My wings crease, the wind pushing me from behind back downward, my wing tilting downward toward the waves suddenly to send my ass spinning right so that I am parallel with his stance, head to head, haunch to haunch. I flare up my wings but allow myself to fall diagonally, sending my body with all due speed and force toward his right side, throwing most of my weight into my hefty shoulder. Our lengths were different, for he is much larger than I, so my shoulder would likely fall short of his and the aim would be neatly around his barrel, toward the middle of his ribcage, assuming he is smart enough to move his wing clear of my speeding body. "Hello, Hector," I say, moments before I am set to crash into him. "Let us see what you are worth." As my words end, my teeth bare to nip up at his neck, trying to grab hold of his flesh, only a target for me so long as I am airborne.

Otherwise, I would just be too damned short.

[ WC: 566; PC: 1/3; Magic: 0/2; Buffs: BULK and DANCE. ]
Image Credits

His Leader was quick to reply, her compact form appearing in the blue sky of midday. Hector took a breath, he had only heard the rumours of Kri's battle prowess yet he'd not seen it for himself. The little he did know of her was what he could glean from a first glance, her stature much shorter than his bulk, but she most certainly wasn't short on power. If the Soldier had to guess he'd imagined she'd be the type of mare that didn't mind getting in your face when battling, her experience was already much greater than his own, but if he had to start somewhere he might as well start from the very top. The orange stallion did his best to remember the lessons from his old sparring teacher, so young he had been and his mind did drift often. Hector knew that from this one fight he would learn what he could do and what he couldn't do, but if one thing was a certainty he had the guts to try to defeat the Resolute. The fight would surely be pointless otherwise.

Hooves spurred into action as eyes widened in surprise, it seemed Kri didn't like to mess around when it came to fighting. With a flare that Hector had to admire she made her first attack at the same time as saying "hello" to which the tribrid obliged with a nicker from velvet lips and a quick sidestep to his left, wings quickly darting upwards. Avoiding her barging body as it bulldozed dangerously close his barrel. Though he hadn't managed to get himself completely out of the woods unscathed, his dance to the side may have missed her first attack, but her teeth found some purchase on his well toned neck. A minor scratch marred his flesh, the pain was sharp, but would not linger for long and it was all the wake up call Hector needed as the power surged from his rear end and forwards he cantered. Flicking his leonine tail as he did, attempting to slap Kri soundly in the face with a mischievous smile playing around his lips. Brown wings unsheathed themselves from his side and flapped forcefully to lift his body off the ground, his face had grown serious now as he tried to form a quick strategy.

Hector knew his own strengths, his breeding had given him a body of oozing power and his sheer height only added to that fact. The Soldier began to wonder if he could use Kri's short stature to his advantage, if he could over power her he might have a chance of landing a blow. So the rhino horned stallion attempted to climb higher above Kri, using his large wings to power him upwards as fast as he possibly could. The familiar presence of Veci climbed with him, the boggart had been alarmed at first when the Commander had swooped down to attack his bonded, but now Veci was slowly beginning to understand what was going on. The spectre stayed by his friend's side, ready to give support whenever he could.

The sun beat down, it was the hottest time of the day and Hector puffed under its gaze. Each move he made would have to be swift and precise, a drawn out spar would only hamper him. Hoping he had succeeded in gaining the advantage, Hector tried to circle round to Kri's left and dived downwards towards where the Resolute had been parallel to him and attempted to take his large muscled right shoulder to her smaller left one, raising his wings out of the way as he did so. He prayed he had succeeded and tried flying away to the right, his bulky body not good in a close up battle, he needed room to manoeuvre.

Veci stayed close beside him with an anxious look towards Kri.

[w/c: 645 || 1/3 || 0/2 companion uses]

• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
Kri the Resolute

No flesh slams into my own to slow my speed, and the whir of air as it passes my body is one greeted with a fresh smile. I curve my wings to increase my drag, trying to stop my momentum from leaving me splashing side first into the water, the flickering grasp of my teeth catching onto Hector's nape with a jerk as I am moving away. My grey hooves collide with the choppy surface of the water, splashes careening about my barrel as I hold my feathered appendages high, out of the dangerous grasp of the waves. Water rendered wings useless faster than most anything in this world, save maybe fire. In my disarray of thought, scrambling to save myself from the sea without any braking from the body of Hector, I miss the incoming swipe of a tail until it is nearly too late.

I throw my head toward the right and down, tucking my chin close against my nape and shutting my left eye as the tail slaps me clear across the head. The small tendrils of hair, wet from the water below our hooves, are like small little knives that cut without spilling blood. Their claws leave clear lines I can feel behind with stinging clarity, but no obvious wounds. My neck quickly unfurls and my teeth chase after the retreating limb, but I fear it will likely be too late. My hooves below the water plunge onto unsteady sands, sinking against my will. Lurching forward I lift myself out of the shallow mouth of the ocean with effort, racing onto the beach and pushing down with my wings. The wind which followed behind me like a humble servant drives up from my rear, gathering underneath my chocolate feather and lifting me easily from the ground, sand dribbling behind me as I rise.

The ocean may have detained me, but Hector is a hundred years too early if he believes that his speed will outmatch me.

By the time Hector's massive form has turned in the air, I am far from our original position, ascending in the air far away as he dives down, he will likely only find the dust from my hooves and outstretched wings to greet him. I mimic his turning but not entirely, choosing instead to face the bastard head on. Was it really a good idea for me to fly after the face of a unicorn? Likely not, but I was never one to take the path of least resistance.

I soar onward, trying to fly head on with the brute, swooping down in altitude to bring my hooves level to where I anticipated Hector's head to be sitting easily upon his neck. I kick out with my legs gently as attempt to fly by his head, in case he should think the small brown limbs a target for the swords upon his crown. My wings fold tight against my barrel, to avoid being caught should Hector's own flare up on the sides in an attempt to stop me. My front end dips down if I should pass his head, aiming for to hit the top of his haunches with my front hooves, kicking back gently with my back hooves with little force, another safety measure against the stallion's horns. The fluid movement was like a buck in the air, maybe, with my front hooves planting downward, back hooves kicking out easily.

[ WC: 571; PC: 2/3; Magic: 0/2. ]
Image Credits

The tribrid could feel the sting on his thick, leonine tail where he had successfully managed to slap Kri. He never thought in a million years that he would slap the Resolute like that, shouldn't it be the other way around? Yet, this was a battle and if he was going to show Kri exactly what he could do, then he couldn't hold back. She was their Commander, an incredible warrior, if he did less than his best she would surely make him pay for it. No, he was a proud warrior of the Dragons Throat, the warriors here didn't go down unless their life was taken. As his long, muscled tail flapped in the wind there was a noticeable bald patch where Kri's late lunging bite had snatched out some of his orange hairs. Well, considering he had just smacked her, the Soldier decided he'd got off lightly ... For now.

Dust formed where his opponent had quickly taken off and his wild shoulder barge plummeted into nothing. Orange eyes widened and Hector grunted in surprise, only catching the odd brown feather ascend and the swooping noise of flapping wings as Kri made her swift dodge. The stallion quickly braced his wings against the air to form a glide just before he plunged straight into the ocean, hooves splashing against the top of it. Hector had guessed she would be fast, but sweet Gods he wasn't expecting that. Teeth grit together as he suddenly realized he'd have to rethink his plans and silently berated himself for not fully grasping the extraordinaire that was Kri. How could he overpower her if he couldn't catch her? He struggled to think of a way around it, but he knew that if he managed to get one shot at her, then maybe he could grasp an advantage.

Surely, there was some loop hole he could use?!

He had hardly seconds to think it through, however, before Kri was upon him again. His wings flapping furiously to his right as her hooves came down and across for a gentle blow to his head and the stallion lurched his hefty body to the left, swinging his head and neck around to place his right shoulder there instead. Wincing as her dainty hooves struck him. Better a solid shoulder than his horned face, maybe he could have got a shot off with his two swords, but injuring his face was not an option. She was fast enough as it was, he'd have no chance with a dizzy head. There was not much force to her strike and Hector found some semblance of balance when her front legs lashed out for his haunches whilst her back powered upwards, causing Hector to instinctively raise his head in defence to keep away from them. The Soldier grimaced and tactically took the blow to his rear end, wincing again before slamming his wings downwards and driving forward.

It was a rather reckless move to say the least, but hit and run simply was not going to work. The orange stallion attempted to drive towards Kri, hoping she'd lost some momentum when attacking and turned in on his left to aim his chest to barge into her left barrel. With hopes he had succeeded, Hector unfurled his teeth from grey lips to lash out a bite for her withers at the same time. It was an ambitious move in his eyes, but he had to find some way of overpowering her.

Fur had ripped away from both his right shoulder and left haunch, leaving the feeling of being bruised. If this was an actual fight against an enemy, he might have been in a much worse condition by now, but that was why they practised.

[w/c: 623 || 2/3 || 0/2 companion uses]
(ooc; thank you for being so patient boom <3)

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
Kri the Resolute

Thud. I smile as he moves away from my hooves which dance upon a broad shoulder instead of his skull. Movements quick, my pace racing, gliding over his back and front hooves planting once more on his haunch. I feel my back hooves push against nothing but air, again sparing his head a crack. His body shoves forward, and in that instant I throw out my wings to catch myself in the air, gliding above the waters. Recklessly, I toss my head back with a hefty grin pulled taut against my brusque features. The smile is met with the desperate curve of Hector in my direction, his body twirling with impressive speed for his bulk.

My smile turns into a look of pride. My soldiers are the best in Helovia, and there is nothing you can tell me that will change my mind.

Fast thoughts have to match fast actions, though, and I do not want to get tangled up with a massive stallion in the sky. I have little hope of escaping him in these tight quarters with my spent speed, and he will likely attack with brute force I cannot match. Instead of trying to evade his crash, I do not speed up, moving my wings clear of his aim, allowing for the massive chest to barrel into my left side. Without resistance in the air or from my own will, I try to minimize his attack by allowing my much small body to be shoved right with a shocking jolt, and I clap my wings down at the same time to speed my travel away from him. A grunt peels from my lips, but no significant damage is to be noted, not even pain worth mentioning. The bite catches on my fleeting barrel, leaving a long streak of spit and unmentionables from him teeth, but little more than a dull ache in its place. With distance between us, I curve back toward the left where I assumed Hector to be after his momentum was spent upon knocking me off course, calling upon my old friend, the wind, to fall in behind me.

With a strong tail wind and joyous smile, I unfurl my front legs as I attempt an aim at Hector's right shoulder, mouth opening from a grin of joy to one of more violent intent as I bite at the right side of his face. I think that, once again, I am glad to be flying. Were we on the ground his shoulder, much less his face, would be an unlikely target. Here, in the kingdom of the sky, height is of little consequence. Perhaps that is why I like being in the air so much. Up here in the clouds, I am a giant, for the sky does not judge you by the size of your body but by the power of your will.

As we all know, I am resolute; my will conquers all.

[ WC: 491; 3/3; 0/2.
No problem! :D ]
Image Credits

It was warm. So warm. Hector could feel the fatigue seeping into his bones, this was just a sparring match, but hell! Such pace! Never before had he been pushed to such an extent, the attacks may not be brutal, but the speed sure damned was. His body represented that of a well-toned warmblood, but it was his wings that were Hector's real hassle in the air. With their largeness came slower movements. He often chafed at his snail pace and needed momentum to produce the kind of speed that Kri was demanding of him now. As his barrage of movement met the target of her barrel, it appeared the little silver bay had taken the blow on purpose with her wings slamming down as she built up the speed needed to fly away. His teeth missing their aim and instead grazed against her fleeing barrel, leaving him to deal with the downside to his masses of power.

So this was what it was like to face one's Commander. Even in his scramble to re-balance himself Hector could feel the awe inside his heart, a craving to become stronger and a strange new taste for battle. Before, most of his fights had been confined to one-on-one with his old teacher, there was only so much he could learn as a colt. In his fight with Kri, a whole new world began to open up to him and he rather liked the prospect of exploring it.

These were feelings of a fleeting moment, however, and the stallion outstretched his wings to slow his pace. His body dips, angling slightly downwards to his right as feathery appendages attempt to glide his hulking body toward the sandy ground. Ears of ginger were swivelling atop his head and a gust of wind welcomed his right side blowing folds of orange mane as determined eyes met the form of Kri once again, who dived in for another attack. Dainty fore hooves extending outwards and aiming straight for his injured shoulder as a small smile played on his lips at his lead's cunning moves. Hector's body shifted like a horse who had one final resort up his orange sleeve, distributing his wings to angle himself even more into his right side, forcing his injured shoulder to dip downwards with a slight wince from his gaze to force the Resolute's attack to glance off his withers. Her bite catching the fiery fur that coated his right ear, both areas of contact tingling at the small scale impacts.

Hoping he had timed his move correctly as he soared downwards, Hector aimed his final attack for her right back hock, sliding his ears back when his neck snaked out. Teeth bared and hoping to catch hold of flesh before he descended further, leonine tail floating in natural balance until hooves finally touched the sandy floor and for a moment he stared at it's grainy surface. Face a mask of contorted thoughts as he ran through each sequence, his quick mind already finding fault and forming other plans of action he could have taken. Veci, his ever-faithful spectre, floating silently by his side. The boggart had not participated, but instead watched from close up. Both ghost and hybrid had learned much today and finally Hector swung his head round to gaze upon wherever Kri had ended up. Face beaming with his typical boyish smile.

"I will make you proud of me one day!" He joyously announced before bowing his head flamboyantly. "Forever your loyal servant" one day, Kri he silently added on to the end before stretching his wings and flying off to rest for the afternoon to think upon the improvements he needed to make. Quite happily content with his new found confidence.

[WC: 624 || 3/3 || 0/2 Companion Uses]
(Danke for the awesome fight boomly.)

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
Kri the Resolute

I am reminded again of the quality of my soldiers, pride swelling within my chest, as Hector skillfully and cooly directs my attack away from his already damaged shoulder. His shoulder dips away from my grasp, but the small peak of his withers arises, my hooves catching upon them. My smile remains even as my teeth dart for flesh, mouth grasping upon sun-warmed fur, a brief moment. My momentum continues onward, but I attempt to clear the hulking wingspan of my opponent as quickly as possible to get into a more maneuverable glide. Before I can fully escape the clutches of my warrior, I turn my head in time for blue eyes to catch the flash of teeth that snake forward for my legs.

I could curse under my breath, of course, but that would not save me now. In a last ditch effort to escape damage to my precious limbs, I swing my hips right, legs flailing to meet the charge of his mouth. The joint of my small leg meets the grasp of the mouth sooner than Hector likely expected, filling his jaw with flesh, bone, and tendon - bruising all in its path but cutting off the damning pressure of snapping teeth. His tongue lolls upon my skin for a moment before I am loosed, and I let go of a sigh of relief as I soar onward, my smile gone from my lips but still glimmering in my eyes. My hock would be sore, but at least I would not be crippled from a well aimed bite to my leg. As I move forward, my altitude lowers and I look around for the large bay, grey hoof dipping to dive into the water of the ocean as we part ways.

Between the gales of wind and the spray of the ocean, I hear the call of Hector to me. I quickly spiral up and turn back, grinning at him happily. "I look forward to that day," I boom back toward him.

[ WC: 491; Closing defense; 0/2.
Thank you, Imi! :D ]
Image Credits

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official

K r i | H e c t o r
- - - - -
By my verdict KRI is the winner.
Kri receives 1 VP and unlocks the buff HUNTER.

KRI -- post 1 (attack only)

[Realism]
+ 1| Attack: trying to slam into his side.
+ 1| Attack: biting towards his neck.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Flow.
+ 1| Easy read.

HECTOR -- post 1

[Realism]
- 1| Defense: sidestepping to avoid Kri. She was falling diagonally, and I think she'd at least land on your feet, even if she didn't hit your shoulder. I just don't feel like entirely avoiding the collision is realistic in this case.
+ 1| Injury: bitten neck.
+ 1| Attack: tail slap to face. I laughed.
+ 1| Attack: trying to smash into her shoulder. It's very dangerous to use her previous position as orientation in this case, as a lot of time has passed, and she's unlikely to remain there. It would've been better to use the positioning "aiming for Kri, wherever she was now", or something of the likes.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Flow.
+ 1| Easy read.

KRI -- post 2

[Realism]
+ 1| Injury: tail to the face.
+ 1| Attack: snapping after it.
+ 1| Defense: using the awkward positioning wording to your advantage, and avoiding the attack.
+ 1| Attack: trying to kick him in the head.
+ 1| Attack: trying to push against his haunches.
+ 1| Attack: trying to kick him in the head, again.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Flow.
+ 1| Easy read.

HECTOR -- post 2

[Realism]
+ 1| Injury: a few strands of hair pulled out of his tail.
+ 1| Defense: lowering his head out of the way, and taking the blow to the shoulder. Keep in mind that you have a wing, though, and a blow to the shoulder would be a blow to the folded/extended wing, unless you've moved it up.
+ 1| Injury: hooves on his haunches.
- 1| Defense: raising his head to avoid the kick. Not at all sure how raising it would make him avoid it.
+ 1| Attack: trying to ram her.
+ 1| Attack: trying to bite her withers.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Flow.
+ 1| Easy read.

KRI -- post 3

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: allowing herself to be pushed aside by his ram.
+ 1| Defense: bite lessened by moving aside.
+ 1| Attack: trying to kick his shoulder.
+ 1| Attack: trying to bite his face.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Flow.
+ 1| Easy read.

HECTOR -- post 3

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: banking to take the blow to his withers instead. You could've described more effects, though, and maybe dropped your left wing after taking the hit to make sure Kri didn't fly into it.
+ 1| Injury: bitten ear.
+ 1| Attack: using the advantage of being below her to try and bite her hock.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Flow.
+ 1| Easy read.

KRI -- post 4 (defense only)

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: shoving her leg into his mouth.

KRI

[Bonus]
+ 2| Breed.
+ 2| Terrain.

[Injuries]
0| Nothing of note.

[Creativity]
0| Nothing of note.

Comments: Very clean race! A few of your approach descriptions in your first post had me confused, but they didn't relate to the fight movements, so it's nothing you see in the point score. I just figured I'd mention it anyway, so try to always proof-read and see if it's clear enough! Otherwise, yeah. Very clean race. You're familiar with Kri, and it's great to see improvement in your "wing mind", remembering that they are there, in the way/in danger, and great use of the lack of friction in the air to deal with Hector's charge!

HECTOR

[Bonus]
+ 2| Breed.
+ 2| Terrain.

[Injuries]
0| Nothing of note.

[Creativity]
0| Nothing of note.

Comments: Very good job Imi! This was a really good fight from you, and it's great to see how much you've improved since your first spars and fights! You, also, had a very clean race, with things that made sense - however, you'll see I've left a few comments about wings. Remember that Hector has massive wings attached to his shoulders, and they can be in the way a lot. Try to remember to always account for where they are, and visualize their position! Otherwise, well, yes, great job. And try to keep in mind that even if you sidestep something, it's likely it won't be a clean dodge, especially not with someone coming in with force! Keep up the good work!

TOTAL
Kri - 76
Hector - 74

Image Credit: dirkjankraan @ Flickr