the Rift

Running to Safety? (open)

Zaida Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Zaida found herself galloping full tilt through a forest. She hated forests, too many hiding places for predators. She tried to gallop faster, but her legs were too tired, too weary. Her hooves made loud thud! sounds on the yellowed grass, as rivulets of sweat trailed down her and stung her eyes.

Finally, though she willed it not to, she was stopped dead in her tracks from exhaustion. After catching her breath, she looked around, ears swivelling, hoping against hope that this place was safe, at least for a little while. She was in a little clearing, with dried brambles to the left of her, and widely spaced trees all around. The sun was setting, taking some of the oppressive heat with it. Crickets had started chirping, creating a quiet melody in the backdrop. There was also a smell on the wind; the smell of pegasi, and other things similar to them.

Zaida relaxed a little bit. There was obviously a herd or something similar nearby, and there were no predators around yet. I can search for the herd later tonight she thought, now is good time to rest.

All of a sudden, a loud crash! came from the dry brambles. Zaida screeched and shied away, clearing nearly two metres in a sideways bound. Red eyes wild, she stared at the brambles, quickly finding the source of the crashing sound; a small, harmless bird returning to its strangely placed nest. Zaida laughed nervously. Any predator around here, and there had to be some, would have heard that screech and come running. Of course there was that possible herd... If she could attract the herd's attention, she reasoned, they might send someone over to find her. Whoever they sent might just be able to get there before the predators did, and save her. It was her only hope.

"Is anybody there?" she yelled, "I'm alone and I'm scared!" She didn't manage to stop herself before the last part came out, but she didn't care right now. All that mattered was whether someone heard her or not.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!
Kri the Resolute

I absolute abhor walking. Flying is so much easier, so much more comfortable. However, the heat strained my wings more and more through this awful summer weather, and I found myself grounded once more, walking through the Threshold forest practically gnashing my teeth with annoyance. Still, at least the sun was setting, taking away the direct sunlight and blanket of choking heat with it. That was something to be happy about.

I flick my blonde tail lazily along my sides as I walk, swatting away the annoy bugs that were so common amongst the trees. My demeanor was one of indifference and boredom, until, of course, I heard the piercing shriek of an equid, ringing off of all of the trees in the entire forest. My head perks up immediately, stopping dead in my tracks. Ears lift from their tired droop into attention, swerving to try and determine the origin of such an ugly sound, like someone was ripping flesh from bone.

Next come forth words, falling out a little after the shriek. At least whoever was making so much commotion was still alive. They sounded desperate for aid, though, so I immediately swing my body into gear. My grey hooves tear at the ground as I start forward at a canter. I may be hot, sweaty, and aggravated, but I cannot leave another to fall victim to whatever was plaguing her. When my blue eyes catch the frame of white, I sigh in relief. For all intents and purposes, she appears unharmed - just startled.

Slowing to a walk, I quietly step over, in her line of sight, to avoid spooking the poor mare further. She was cowardly in my opinion, but that did not really matter. Some of my kin were known to be weaker than others. Courage can be stirred in the most yellow-bellied of equines - they only needed the appropriate situtuation.

"No need to be frightened, lady," I say, my voice soothing and calm. "There is little to harm you here in these woods." Maybe that was a lie, but you would never know it by the confidence in my voice.

""

venomxbaby, Dracoart-Stock, SalsolaStock

Zaida Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Zaida almost leaped for joy when her 'rescuer' arrived. From the speed of the other's arrival, Zaida guessed rescue must have been close by when she called for aid. As her rescuer came further into view, the gray mare took the opportunity to size the other up. Her rescue was another pegasus mare, bronze in colour with a cream mane and tail. But most importantly to Zaida, the other mare seemed calm, confident and friendly. This was exactly the sort of equid, Zaida thought, that you'd want to have around when something attacked.

"No need to be frightened, lady,there is little to harm you here in these woods."

Zaida relaxed a bit at the others words, before their ridiculousness (to her mind) registered. Why would there be no harm, or to Zaida's mind predators, when there were equids around? It'd be like having an area of good grazing, that no one went to. Zaida took half a step back away from the bronze mare. To Zaida's mind, she was either lying, or gravely misinformed. She didn't move away, however, because this was the only other equine she had seen in her retreat, and bad company was better than no company.

A small part of Zaida, however, desperately wished that what the other mare said was true. A place free of predators? That was paradise. "This place has no predators? At all?" Zaida asked, hopefully, "That doesn't make any sense. Are you sure it's true?" Zaida stood still, waiting for the mare's reply.

OOC: Sorry for taking so long. Every time muse was flowing, I had to be somewhere else. Also, silly question, how did you get your image to sit at the very bottom of your table? Mine seems to want to float above it.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!
Kri the Resolute

A smile appears on my lips, as the girl asks: This place has no predators? At all? Surely, there were a few predators within these woods, but obviously none had the interest to seek out an easy meal out of this mare. The true predators of Helovia, as in Isilme, were not the various creatures of paws and sharp teeth - they were the residents. "Do not worry," I say, my voice a soft coo to goad her out of whatever panic she was currently feeling.

"You shall not meet with any harm while I am by your side."

Dark blue eyes look at her with authority, calm and quiet. I was raised as a warrior, held the proud heart of such a class, but had fallen into the position of a leader twice now. Once uncertain of my abilities to lead my kin, I now believed that certainly I was better suited than most. After handing over rule to my idiot son Cielo and watching the Cliffs literally fall into a pile of rubble, I was not so critical of my own direction as leader. I sought to protect - even spineless mares like the one before me, afraid of bumps in the night.

Still, my face holds a welcoming expression to this stranger. My judgment may be a bit harsh, I think. To be alone in unfamiliar territory can be unnerving, even for myself, but I had grown more resistant to my fears of the years. This poor girl likely was not allowed the same hardening of time that I had been. To live in fear would be a terrible fate. "I am Kri," I say, my voice holding that same quiet authority as my eyes as I look at her own red irises. "Leader of the Dragon's Throat, a land to the south of where we stand. What is your name, traveler?"
""

venomxbaby, Dracoart-Stock, SalsolaStock

[ ooc: It's alright. It happens. c:
UHM, from the look of your code, you have the image code within the wrong row. Move it in front of the last
Code:
</td></tr>
in the code, and it should stick to the border. ^^ ]