the Rift

Balancing act (Faelene, Open)

Sielu Posts: 47
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 5 years :: Orangemoon
Angel

This world was so BIG. Infant like vocabulary hadn’t developed enough to describe it with a word other than BIG. My tri colored orbs studied each unnamed flower, each blade of grass as if it was the epiphany of my existence. I would reach out to momma, and call on my inborn gift to send a mental picture along with a sense of bewilderment that came almost instantly along with it to symbolize a raw question without the use of words. That’s right, I could talk with my mind, and only with my mind. In the beginning lips would mimic momma and air passed through, but not a single sound formed. At first my disability was alarming to me only because my mother seemed distressed, instinctively I reached out in confusion and touched her mind in the process.

That was my first contact with this new power.

My young mind seemed to be constantly trying to understand every new experience. It was pleasing that no two days were exactly the same. There was always a new face to meet and people to greet. When I wasn’t working to familiarize my surroundings, I tried to watch mother, doing nearly as she did. But I wasn’t doing a very good job, my laughably long legs would be awkward and clumsy for weeks to come. It seemed I was stumbling around on my soft hooves more than anything else.

Ornamental muzzle bumped against my mother’s flank affectionately, while working limbs moved to match her slowed steps with a gait that was comfortable for both parent and child. An afternoon sun blazed through an overcast sky; casting light over a well beaten forest trail as we walked in near silence through a thicket of trees. I dared not leave her side, my beating heart hadn’t yet learned bravery and didn’t feel the drive to test it; though, when we approached a glade I was tempted to push forward a few steps until my small shoulders aligned with hers at a much lower level.
credits

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

G l a c i e r s ... m e l t i n g

When her daughter could not even mimic any noise of coarse it had scared her! Faelene was negative, and things had gone rather smooth she was waiting for the rain on her parade. If Sielu couldn't talk life could be difficult for her, but then the purple filly had done something more proving again she was no ordinary babe. A gentle presence stroked her mind in the form of a question because of her anxious mask. Faelene realized she had felt it before, differently and not as strongly. She had merely thought it was the assurance of the growing foal in her womb. Now she understood it had always been Sielu, but this seemed to have flourished with her other senses.

Still, never having a companion it was a new sensation for her.She wasn't sure she would get use to it. Sielu could talk, but it was much more than that. Each day she was greeted by an image that she seemed to recognize, and did not. She might have seen it, but she was seeing in in a whole new way with a question mark dotting it. Faelene would try her best to answer. Usually it seemed Sielu wanted a name of an object. They had gone over sun,sky, grass, flower, a bit about water, and countless other things in the Basin. Faelene found her daughter exceedingly bright, and wondered if the lack of tongue was part of the reason. Honestly, it wasn't a question that remained long since it was of no use. Faelene figured it was another part of who Sielu was, and if anyone wanted to harp about how she didn't talk she was sure they would soon find out the filly had no trouble speaking her mind. If she shared her gift with others she was not sure yet, but did not ask. The red maned was merely enjoying her new role, wondering what other surprises it might bring.

Today with the high sun they hung in the enclosure of the trees where Faelene tried to lead them down wide paths. Sielu had lengthy limbs, that were yet to be entirely strong and there seemed to be a lot more trip hazards with a newborn in tow. Much as she wished she could help her from ungraceful moments she would merely keep check she did not fall to the ground. The silver eyes often tried not to be obvious in their action, not wanting to make the lass fret worse. Today Faelene was assured by warm brushes to her side that let her know of her adoring, purple shadow. Quickly the open ground greets them, but the dark mare stops, turning her head just so to meet the blue eye at her side. So young she is not surprised by her hesitance, but playfully she bumps her tiny muzzle,and then trots onward through the grass. Pleasantly she lets a nicker ring from her throat, encouraging Sielu and welcoming her fellow Unicorns.

[Image: faeleneicon.png]

Frost Fyre Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Altair :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast prissy

I can hear your cries of p a i n

The fae awoke, her eyes fluttering open. Trying to take a nap had been semi-successful, but now the fae could feel sleep hanging over her like a storm cloud, ready to rain down upon her. Shaking her head as if to fling the sleep away didn't help, it made the fae dizzy. Stumbling down a mountain like that is probably not a good idea. The fae tried to concentrate as she picks her way down the mountain, her legs were no longer awkwardly long. They were slowly becoming proportionate to her body, which helped with walking.

Once the bay filly's hooves touched the snow she gave a squeak of displeasure as the snow engulfed her hocks. Flicking ears back and keeping mouth shut, the filly begins to walk carefully through the Basin. The fae constantly nodded her head to her fellow Basin members, and continued on her walk.

The filly saw a small, purple figure in the distance. A little confused, the fae ran towards it to investigate. There was a black mare beside the filly, most likely her mother. Curious, the fae reached out and smiled. "Hello." The fae kept the smile upon her dark lips as she backed up and gave a curt nod to the black mare. "You have a beautiful child." The filly remembered the new word she had learned from Kou. What was it.... convinced? No.... the fae flicked her tail as she tried to draw out the words. Con... Conce.... Conceived! The small fae smiled, proud of herself for finding the word. Now she could continue with her thoughts. Who helped this mare conceive the baby?

The fae didn't exactly know what mares and stallions did when they made babies... conceived babies. All she knew was that they got together, but she didn't know what they did once they were together. She was too young to know, and she shouldn't know just yet. But she wanted to know everything she could. Everything. Even if it meant learning and seeing some very disturbing things. The fae's mind was her own little world, filled with knowledge and words she probably shouldn't know at her age. It was all because she walks through the Basin and tries to listen in on everyone's conversation. She was able to learn new words, and after lots of thinking, she could sometimes find the meaning of that word. The filly also collected information from outside the Basin, but that was rare. She liked the chilling air of the Basin much better than the heat of the outside.

Emerald orbs shift from the fae's gray hooves to the purple filly in front of her. A small snowflake marking falls over her left eye, which is blue while her right eye is silver. What really baffles the fae is how the filly's mane is smoke. Blue smoke. The fae stared at it for quite some time, trying to figure out how that worked. Was it magic or was it just... natural? As the filly ponders on this thought she looks at the coal black mare a little more. Her mane was crimson red, and she had dark orbs. The very end of her bangs was white, and her horn split her forelock in two. It was a crooked horn, almost mimicking a tree branch. Flicking her ears to and fro, the filly waited for one of them to speak.

[Just thought I'd pop Frost in here! Hope that's alright]

Image credit: http://browse.deviantart.com/art/blue-sn...-271259410

Sielu Posts: 47
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 5 years :: Orangemoon
Angel

The mind is a funny thing. Children developed ears, eyes, noses, and a mouth. We could see, touch, hear, and smell. The only difference was I had developed a fifth sense to make up for the one that had been forgotten in the development stage. Nobody knew why babes are born the way there are, all we knew was that each of us was special. I had spoken to my mother before birth, but seeing as memories didn’t properly take hold until later—such interactions would be fondly remembered by her alone; and perhaps shared as fond stories down the road.

I could express every emotion, every nagging idea through this attaching bond at will. Think of it as, strings of light that could be extended--touching those around me until they could hear my voice. Through this link would only pass my feelings and thoughts, not theirs. This made the task of learning rather fun, interesting and challenging. Because I actually had to earn my answer, I couldn’t just rattle tongue when the mood struck, I had to work for knowledge; and I was slowly becoming a very eager student.

The nubby tip of my horn butts against mothers shoulder in passing. She turns to gaze at me before pushing her face against my nose playfully. A puff of air emerges like something that might have been a snort had it made noise. My smile widens when she trots a few steps forward, beckoning me to follow--an invitation didn't need to be prodded twice. I was all about momma allowing her daughter to do a little more exploration. Gleefully, gangly limbs shuffle their length across the field. The grass tickles as its blades brush against the lower part of my knees. Again I snort soundlessly and lower muzzle to the ground while sniffing deeply. Snout wrinkles in disgust at the fragrance it finds, mother’s milk smelled and I was sure tasted much better.

A grasshopper emerged from the undergrowth, its hops flick it away from my face. Infant orbs locked onto the bug much like I honed onto mother at night when tummy got rumbly. Like a beacon this little creature holds my attention and leads me forward a few steps before freezing in the grass. That was of course when another girl entered our little slice of heaven. Her scent is foreign, not like momma, and certainly not like myself. The hopper is forgotten and head spikes up just as a bay appaloosa comes within earshot.

Plum ears are pressed ever forward and smile has vanished leaving in its wake a cute little frown. The stranger approaches and my limbs make haste to magnet myself to mothers hindquarters. Heart speeds when the girl comes over and began to talk using her mouth; why did everyone use their mouth? I wonder my ignorant thoughts, as the older filly finally turns to address me. Snout press’s into the spot conjoining momma's hip and stomach for comfort, but I do not totally shy away. I wasn’t afraid of this older girl, more or less uncertain.

credits

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

G l a c i e r s ... m e l t i n g

There is a pleasant laugh that escapes her when seeing Sielu's expression, and a smile she can't contain. Sielu appeared suddenly fearless to the simple challenge. Though she made no sound she felt her warm breath, and it assured her, Sielu was ready to see more of their world. Faelene lazily grazed while keeping an eye on their surroundings, and at times offering an adorning gaze to the young Unicorn.

Time would pass and ears had caught the sound of the appaloosa filly before her silver eyes noticed her heading their way. This didn't set the mother into much anxiety, the young always attracted to those their age, and Sielu was something new to look at. Besides Faelene knew who this child was, Frost Fyre, her mother Lerya while her father remained a mystery too. Faelene did not know her very well , but she didn't depict any harm, and the older filly greeted them rather politely. "Thank you, this is Sielu and I'm Faelene by the way," she offered with a half smile when her eyes met the brilliant green of the filly. Faelene wasn't the center of attention, and could see Frost Fyre marvel at the dancing hair of Sielu's. The mother cast a quiet look to her daughter who was hanging close to her side, the spot she always seemed to find when she was unsure. They were not overwhelmed by a crowd, and for that she could be grateful.

"She's a filly too, just a little older than you," Faelene tried to use a point, letting her see how Frost Fyre was not yet grown either. The red maned didn't pick up fear from her child, but this was someone new. Carefully, she tried to gauge reactions between the girls, while waiting to hear her daughter's unique voice or see if she would talk to Frost instead.

[Image: faeleneicon.png]