the Rift

Spacebound (finished)

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
image by Riven

i'm a spacebound rocket ship; and your heart's the moon

The sun’s energy was already searing as it sank in luminous shafts between patchwork gaps in the northern forest’s lofty canopy- minute particles of dust, and mould spores danced languidly in their limelight. Far below, where ferns bathed happily in the musky darkness and vines began their arduous voyage upwards along old weathered hosts, the air was warm and thick with an old dampness. Mildew clung to the scattering of rocks and withered litter of leaves across the forest floor and the soil was rich and supple beneath the industrious tread of a young grey horse.

The energised Africa was ripe after many years fermenting under the blanket of herd-life (to a young, eager and sheltered filly three years was too many lost). As feeble as she might have appeared to such a hostile and foreign world, the young horse stepped from her long, solitary journey with the tireless determination of youth.

As that breeze licked through the fresh leafy awning edging this halfway-house to where she had been shepherded, Africa stepped for the first time at liberty; without rule or responsibility, and her great heart pounded with brilliant excitement. He wide cream eyes were saturated by the spread of diversity before her- she had come from a simpleton’s life, or so she had thought, and they sparkled curiously, bathing in Tallsun’s unforgiving radiance.

And so there she was, ready to commit to a new way of life. Still dainty and unscathed hooves, stepped with childlike confidence (no matter how arrogant her ambition), amongst those who sought placement and refuge.

A f r i c a

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

It would seem the threshold was full of woman these days. I had only run across one or two stallions this season. One lost mare after another, always eager to start anew and curious of the surrounding lands. As luck would have it, I stumbled upon them before anyone else had taken an interest. Shame on those that missed out, and good for my family; new mares meant, babies, and with babies came everything a herd needed for survival. Numbers. Without numbers and skilled warriors you had nothing, a mighty clan was built upon the backs of those that fostered it. Our spines acted as pillars, without the pillars you have no clan, no home, and no hope for survival.

Today I was maneuvering around the undergrowth. Fina rested upon my shoulder quietly, her eyes slowly falling to half-mast. Every so often my steps would sink into a hole, or misplaced hoof would hit a rock and she would get jarred awake by the movement. Beak scowled open with a hiss upon her lips, she would glare for a moment before returning to dozing position.

Eventually our (my) search for new blood bore fruit, a young girl came into sight. This one didn’t attempt to conceal herself in the shadows, it was almost like she wanted to be sought. Her sleek grey body was bathed in sunlight, soft feathers glistening with the promise of flight. My own ivory’s rose a little from sides to meet the suns warming embrace readily. Approaching from the rear I nicked softly so that she might be more aware had I been silent enough to get this far without notice, “Good day m’lady, you seem to suit the sun well.”

GOVERN</style>
He who is a good ruler must first have been ruled.</style>

image by aigle_dore @ flickr.com
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Deceased
image by Riven

Naturally, though still lacking any real form of experience, Africa would have assumed that choosing a central spot in the thickly wooded forest’s split would have fetched her greater response and attention from the many travellers therein. Perhaps she was foolish for parading herself in such barefaced fashion, but she gave her actions little forethought, and certainly had forgotten the grave teachings of her mother; survival and other trivial matters that a child has little if any reasoning to understand.

Many horses moved around her as the minutes, and then the hours fluttered by- a sea of brilliant and befuddling diversity churned around her, and Africa’s (perhaps exorbitant) morale, began to fracture. The young impatient horse fidgeted where she had taken position on a small hillock about midway between the surrounding forest fringes. She could see quite well about her, and watched with dismay as a multitude of horses (predominantly mares like herself she noted loosely) found their way into the clearing with her, only to surrender to the wild fairy tale promise of kings and princesses; queens and knights. Africa had come from a simpleton life; peasant maybe- such where stallions collected a harem of mares... and that was life. She knew nothing of this but the whispering romance of her mother’s aging voice, as she lulled her daughter into slumber; famous legends of grandiose kingdoms; and in particular it had always been the thrill of treason and blood thirst that captured her imagination.

A soft warm breeze tousled the thick pad of forelock draped limply across the sloping white bridge of her nose. Velvety smooth nostrils, and long sensitive whiskers quivered with unrelenting excitement and Africa was overwhelmed by the barrage of strange scent offered. It was a pleasant enough day, and the sun had neared its climax; high and hot, and the grey horse ruffled the interlocking sheen of feathers which dressed her wings. The soothing rays saturated the shadowy grey skin beneath and the full expanse of her hide prickled with pleasure.

A soft sound sought her attention suddenly (perhaps she had been basking in solitude long enough not to expect it), peeling confidently through the crowding hum of other conversations. Africa turned to find its owner progressing quickly at her rear. She did not hide her astonishment as their faces met (her eyes were swift to locate the strange creature sitting comfortably atop the pinnacle of his sloping shoulder), and momentarily she was dumbfounded. The young horse undoubtedly would develop her social skills as she matured and adapted into life, but having come from a rather sheltered upbringing she, for the time being was primitive- a clean, undeveloped slate.

The moments passed too quickly as Africa scrambled to find her thoughts, and finally she replied, “Hello”, lightly; struck with awkwardness and sudden fear. She smiled outwardly, offering the stallion the only grace and coolness she could muster. “As does your companion...” She exclaimed, realising that she could not focus on anything other.

“Forgive me.” Africa asked politely, after stealing the spare seconds between exchanges to gather herself properly, and she smiled humbly-“I have not seen one before.”

A f r i c a

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Her caramel eyes turn to meet me and they are welcomed with a gentle smile. The girl seemed rather doe like and innocent, yet untouched by a harmful world—a perfect candidate for our growing family. It was always better to foster youth not yet molded by the environment, then to shape clay already hardened. “Hello” She says, peering at me for only a moment, before attention falls on a certain little lass that had chosen to remain blissfully asleep or perhaps the avian was just ignoring our conversation. “As does your companion...” A soft snicker rises in response, apparently my bonded was indeed asleep—I could totally see her feeding into this like the suckup attention huger that she was.

“Forgive me. I have not seen one before.” My grin only widens and I find tenderness blooming readily for this young spirit, “There is nothing to be forgiven, and you are not the first to offer flattery to this creature.” Feeling that if we focused on the fire child much longer she might awaken and spoil this meeting I add with point to turn conversation toward more meaningful future, “I’m Midas of Dragon’s Throat--what might this humble warrior call a lovely lady such as yourself?” Fina stirs a little at my flowery introduction, peeking one eye open a half an inch before closing it quickly after deciding that our meeting wasn’t worth one ounce of her energy. She was always such a people person. At least this stranger was making a good first impression when compared to the others I had run across over the past few days.

OOC: Sorry its so short ;_; me and my crappy muse. XD

GOVERN</style>

Deceased
drawing by Riven

The stallion seemed to slide through Africa’s bumbling with the smoothness of silk unbothered by her blatant ignorance, and she found a reflection of his tolerant grin curling into her own charcoal maw. The pinched muscles throughout her sinewy, stocky body loosened marginally and an ease of mind swelled to settle her fraying nerves. Still though, an element of anticipation murmured constantly as the throbbing adrenaline fuelled pulse within her ears, and Africa felt an intermittent tremble, ricocheting wildly down the length of her spine. She marvelled as the creature seemed to smoulder where it perched. Yet the stallion never flinched or suffered by touch, and he spoke like it were a burr twisted into his black then white, mane; nothing out of the ordinary at all. Africa was spellbound. Surely this was the magic which stained rumour and gossip in this bustling field.

Soon enough, his gentle voice drew Africa’s wandering attention from its lock on the creature. She blinked quietly as her eyes travelled back to meet his, restoring the ailing moisture (they had been gazing inelegantly for too long on such a warm day). It was then she noticed his eyes were... different. Midas introduced himself and Dragon’s Throat (a place that was obviously, but it meant little to the young horse at that point in time). The smile had not yet fallen from her whiskered lips, and it widened a little before she spoke- she was trying to return eye contact, but search as she might, her own pale stare found naught but a core-less golden depth. Trepidation gripped her beating heart and she spoke quickly, dabbling back into reality, maybe to find any sort of sense in this obscure land. “I am Africa.” Her voice was gentle, but the insecurity lacing it struck the wafting silence harshly, not at all how Africa hoped to be perceived. Even she knew that the time would come and she would better understand this world; this was not that time, nor was Midas the teacher.

The creature stirred, and this time Africa offered it only a fleeting glance. “Midas?” She continued, in a manner that was indeed too trusting; and most certainly overly forward. Africa was untouched by the pain of cruelty. She was unspoilt; unquestioning. “I know nothing of Helovia.” Africa fidgeted awkwardly; her mouth seemed to have lost all grace and dexterity. There was a strange prickling in her skin across the elbow of her wing, and the grey mare was powerless as she turned in an instant, to pluck a faultless grey feather. The feather was released and twirled downward, wedging itself in a thick grass tussock. She returned to Midas and continued thoughtfully, “I mean to say, I am sure you have much more important business to attend...” (in fact, she imagined him to be of the most significant there was- he was splendid) “...I am hoping to study, something...” She divulged, the sentence trailing off mind you, because Africa could not place what it was she sought to learn. Everything she supposed, but should have liked not to sound too foolish before her company.

[No hassle :) I am always wondering when mine is going to evaporate. Sorry I keep changing pictures and tables :P I think Im settled now...]

A F R I C A

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Danger hid in the shadows, and knotted around the roots of trees. She was lucky that I had been among the first to come forward, my spirit held only the purest of intentions—while others weren’t so good willed. I thought back to the time when Cera (my son), had been attacked in a forest not far from here, and noted that this world wasn’t always safe for the young at heart and opposed species. Her confidence and trust were welcomed as treasured gift, it wasn’t always so easy to swoon people over, no matter how nice one was to them. “I am Africa.” I smile, her name sounds rampantly foreign, much like the lass herself does in appearance.

“I know nothing of Helovia.”

Right away I wanted to reassure her as I would a child that she wasn’t alone in this statement. Hundreds, if not thousands had walked this very same path; the only difference was—which direction they chose to lead, “You’ll come to understand Helovia, as you spend more time on her soil.” Nobody could peer into a landscape from a hilltop and witness all of its wonders after spending only a few months running through the valleys. It took years upon years to visit each corner, and witness the brilliance that came from firsthand experience. There were many places that even I hadn’t visited, and ‘I’ had been born to this country.

“I mean to say, I am sure you have much more important business to attend...” Lips moved to interject but she didn’t seem done so I paused and waited, “I am hoping to study, something...” Her innocence strikes me with overwelleming gentleness for this soul, a fathering instinct that only seemed doubled when around such clean spirits, “Lady Africa, you,” muzzle slowly extends to try and brush along the upper part of her neck that was within my reach, “are the reason why I yet linger—I’ve come to invite you to a new home. A sanctuary that is open to those that wish to learn, to understand the meaning of family.” She had mentioned wanting to take lessons in a duty, “Do you have any particular interests?”

GOVERN</style>

Deceased
drawing by Riven

Midas reassured Africa that her understanding of Helovia would grow (like a seed planted in her mind- or so, that is how she followed), and she was soothed like the thick downy fur between skin and a brutal winter night. Perhaps it was simply fear of the unknown which simmered the undertone of her softly spoken, credulous voice- she was afraid and excited; thoroughly energized by their conversation and the unexpected security which the stallion seemed to radiate. She listened willingly, with erect, pointed ears and now, her light curious eyes did not part from him. As the seconds peeled past them, Africa grew more confident in her ambition; more at peace with her decision to leave home and find this brave new world.

Still the hot sun glowed unremittingly, and without interruption. The two horses had been standing there immersed in Tallsun’s intensity, chatting for some time and sweat began to seep through Africa’s sleek thinned coat in long blackened streaks. She flicked her tail twice heedlessly, more or less unmoved by the festering warmth of the day; she was engrossed in the conversation at hand- a stepping stone maybe into the future of her dreams.

Midas reached out to Africa, and his lips brushed along the crest line of her neck. Although his mild gesture wasn’t sudden and did not upset her, the mare automatically lowered her face, inadvertently portraying to him that she was both humble and well natured- deep down the modest horse hoped that she would be the right candidate for his family, living in a Dragon’s Throat (such a name was not forgotten by the gullible heart so fast- imagine the adventures!). And then, Midas offered to Africa his home; and a simple taste of true family.

The young mare’s eyes beamed at the proposition, she did manage however to hold her composure (practice makes perfect, and Midas seemed to eliminate her clumsiness; or it found no place in his shadow), and offered an enthusiastic smile to unmistakably accept his invitation. “Thank you.” Her voice was still tinged with light apprehension; it seemed unavoidable because Africa was not a brave soul. So many questions seemed to rise and swarm through her thoughts at that moment, but the young grey did not dither, instead dutifully addressing Midas’s next question. That was easy, and she answered too quickly and freely- “I am interested in most everything Helovian...” (But that was not what the stallion asked and Africa blushed at her mistake) “...In particular magic, I think.” Even if it wasn’t exactly what the stallion had meant, to the young mare, nothing held more mystery or attraction than magic itself. There were so many elements in her mother’s wonderful stories though, and nothing seemed dull.

A F R I C A