the Rift

Searching for No One [Open]

Black Robin Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
I can see the trees feathering. The oaks I pass through at this moment are recovering from the long, dreary rest, and little green spots sprout from the once-bare branches. I trip just staring at the beauty of new leaves. New life. I saw the same thing once in my life. Then it left me as if it weren't my closest sister. Yes, new life is a beautiful thing. But only if it behaves.

I hear snapping and jump. Oh. It was just me. Maybe being alone is bad for you. I was starting to become restless and talk to myself at one point, but then an annoying bird started following me. It got so annoying, pecking at me and tweeting all the time, that one day as it sang on the ground, I lashed out at it with my hooves, silencing the sharp whistle it cast on the world. Now that I think about it, he was okay company. Okay company, though, never lasts.

I have been searching, ever since the very insincere horned mare came through, angering me more than ever. I really need to work on that. One of the very examples of what Kindling has done to me. She also made me believe that imagination is with reason; I now make things impossible come true in my mind, giving others the impression that I am a dreamy femme with no true structure, no serious thoughts.

I hope that some random winged equine like myself will come through, so that I can recover from my random drifts off from the Earth through my mind, give me a safe haven for a minute or two. But who? I know not. I know that searching is a safe thing to do, but without a purpose or incentive? Not good. I hope someone passes by.

Because by the time someone arrives, I could be completely gone.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

I walked the woods alone, without the company of sons or bonded in tow. A silent prayer was on my lips. Its purpose only holding worship, I stepped lightly across the undergrowth; enjoying how Tallsun was now in full swing. Life seemed more abundant, green things had begun to actually start thriving which was a stark difference when compared to how they were only a few seasons ago last Tallsun. Comfort and graduate were given though, the desert was always blistering and I felt lucky enough to be privileged with protection from the sun’s harmful rays by sheltering among the trees. Thus were the privileges of being General. My tasks gave opportunity for exploration; I was free to fly from the borders. Instead of mindlessly guarding them. I was free to bring home fresh meat, new blood to swell our ranks.

Today…I didn’t intentionally come for company; I came for the solitude and chances of meditation. I came only to pray, but like all plans of late, this one was about to get interrupted. Gleaming eyes catch sight of a shadow walking quietly among the timbers. Its frame was lean and girly, with just the hints of feathers ruffling as a gentle breeze trailed through. A mare, alone obviously and possibly new. I pause following her movements with my eyes alone before making quick decision to actually do something productive for my family today, “Good afternoon friend, I hope your day is faring well?” Slowly I close the distance between use, waiting mostly for a response before getting very personal.

GOVERN</style>
He who is a good ruler must first have been ruled.</style>

image by aigle_dore @ flickr.com
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Unregistered
I stumble. Then I hear steps and stop, a stick flying from my forelock like those birds I always watch. I could fly up to them, but I don't. Then I see him, or at least the white patches. The rest takes a while to adjust to my gazing orbs. He comes out of the trees to my clearing, and slowly moves closer. “Good afternoon friend, I hope your day is faring well?”

I jump, and actually take flight up to about a yard above the ground, then lower myself again. I get so frightened at times, you would believe I was blind. Except when someone moves, my eyes follows them until they are out of sight. I have been told it's creepy, but it is only instinct. One of my own, more of a learned behavior than not. When you love a sister like Kindling, it changes you permanently when she leaves.

"I am fine, thanks."

My words come out more negative than I hoped, but the wise-looking stallion before me seems to be tough enough to deal with a small thing like that.

"You?"

I ask the question quietly, but so at least he can hear. Been a while since I talked, and my throat is scratchy and almost numb-feeling. I cough, feeling my pipes clear up a bit. I smile sweetly, trying to wait while the silence draws out like the wind blowing Kindling's lengthy tail.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Perhaps it was a mistake to approach so openly, she appeared nervous and flighty. Literally, flighty. Her wings unfurled with surprising speed, thrusting down and back up again. Muscles pulling the tendons until she had obtained a nearly perfect lift. I pause instantly, taken by surprise at how startled this lady was. Had I said something wrong? My wings unfurl an inch or so from patched barrel in readiness should her fear lead into an attack. She overtook me in height, but from first glance this woman didn’t appear to be of the warrior variety. Should this meeting turn ugly I had every confidence that my efforts would strike the top bracket.

Then like a switch the lady seems to calm and grow almost mild, even a little uncaring as if nothing unusual had just happened. Her hooves brushed earth and she landed, I didn’t move a muscle. Though my wings remained a little flared just in case trouble arose. Ashy ears had fallen along my poll in shock, now they struggled forward to catch response, “I am fine, thanks.” Really? She sure didn’t appear to be fine a moment ago. “You?”

Wary now I offer the lady a forced smile and say, “I’ve had better days….please accept my apology for startling you, it wasn’t my intention to frighten.” Truthfully I was still at a loss at what had actually worried this lady into flight. I surely wasn’t the most frightening thing in this forest, “My name is Midas by the way,” and she surely wasn’t the most optimistic looking mare. In a way this lady reminded me of another girl, who had been just as prickly if not more.

OOC: Don't forget that we have a 250 word rule.

GOVERN</style>

Unregistered
“I’ve had better days….please accept my apology for startling you, it wasn’t my intention to frighten.”

Oh, well I seem to have come across as a girly lady, who gets frightened at the ruffle of a feather. Huh. Well, that definitely was not my intention.
I do get startled, but not frightened. “My name is Midas by the way,” Wonderful. I always remember names, so if he ends up being crappy, I will be sure to remember this for ages to come. And that is exactly why so many daydreams find themselves in my mind. So I decide to point his impression of me in the correct direction: "I believe I have come across incorrectly. I was frightened a bit, and I accept your apology like a polite mare like myself should, but I believe all that startled me was a small daydream of mine. You cannot escape it when you have a startling history, and at the same time being trapped on your own for weeks without another soul to so much as mutter to."

I end up stomping, getting myself worked up over a few bits of speech of mine. "Sorry for seeming a bit confused in the area of emotions. I promise you, it is just hysterics creeping up on me out of loneliness for however long it has been...I usually don't act so oddly." So if he takes that last one wrong, let him be confused. Like I would care anyway.

"Now, I believe you said your name was Midas. You also seem to be more than just a homeless wanderer. The Throat interested in any new residents?" I assume it probably came across as a very straight-forward question for a random fem like myself, but I would like to see other pegasus like myself more often than about a month at a time.

I feel a trickle of moisture slide down my neck. How could it already be, uh, Tallsun, already? I only learned that term about a year or so ago, and it still teases me, erasing itself at times like everything else that is hard to remember since I came here. I have been here long enough to know at least what the cold times feel like, and so far, neither scorching hot, nor blistering cold will satisfy my ever-changing body temperature, the one that just can't seem to find a good medium. Ever. It is uncomfortable dealing with the confusing climate, but I am working on it.

I tremble a fly off of my wing, waiting for the response to my most likely rude question. I can't believe it is so challenging for me to predict the reactions to anything that searches it's way out of my vocal cords, but after some thought, I always remember that Kindling's wrath was a silent infection waiting for me to discover, making me have to realize what is happening too late; I have been punished for no reason sickly by Kindling in so many ways, poor social skills being one of them.

And to think that she was just a foal so many years ago, so innocent.

OOC: Thanks for the reminder :) I will remember that.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

"I believe I have come across incorrectly.” Brows raise curiously, slowly my wings relax a little, but my poster remains rigidly maintained. I wait to hear what her justifications might be, despite personal desire that we might move past unfortunate first judgment. “I was frightened a bit, and I accept your apology like a polite mare like myself should, but I believe all that startled me was a small daydream of mine.” She could have stopped at, "I was frightened and accept your apology". But no. For some ungodly reason the woman kept on talking until she admitted that it wasn’t me that had startled her at all—it had been a daydream. A daydream? She rattles off more information that doesn’t seem to tie into her daydream claim until I’m certain that during this onslaught my head has slowly craned to one side as if draining blood to the left side of my brain would somehow make this conversation clearer.

How in the world had she been trapped alone? There was creatures all over this land, sometimes to many for counting. It was a alarming to think that she hadn’t held contact with her own kind for many weeks. Or perhaps she was just a little touched in the head. As words kept on spewing I began to think the latter. "Sorry for seeming a bit confused in the area of emotions. I promise you, it is just hysterics creeping up on me out of loneliness for however long it has been...I usually don't act so oddly." At this point of this ramble I'd grown stark still and am currently double checking to make sure my mouth isn’t hanging wide open. Words leave me for a long moment; I wasn’t sure how to respond to crazy.

"Now, I believe you said your name was Midas. You also seem to be more than just a homeless wanderer. The Throat interested in any new residents?"

It takes me a few seconds to register that she had been able to title my home correctly. Apparently this stranger wasn’t so alone after all, how else would a foreigner have known about my clan unless they had been born in Helovia, gossiped with the local brambles or witnessed its sands firsthand. Carefully I choose my next set of words, “Aye Miss, we are always looking for new blood that is willing to become part of a working unit—a family.” The sentence comes out slow and steady, still wary of this strange girl who had yet to issue a name, “What name do you go by?”

GOVERN</style>

Unregistered
His poor helpless-looking eyes look absolutely confused and dumbfounded. Well, I still cannot force him to see that I am a normal mare, just left alone for a while, probably with my unlucky nature of never finding the innocent beings, if any. I also realize an instant after I finish that I am rambling on a bit more than necessary. I can never seem to have the correct impression. But this time, my excuse is that I have been alone for a dreadfully long time, I tell myself. And if he decides that I am mentally ill, I will let him be for as long as we two live. Just as Kindling did. Now I regret that, although it was not my fault at any extent. “Aye Miss, we are always looking for new blood that is willing to become part of a working unit—a family.” Ah, they address families as units, do they? Very fancy sounding, for all my life, families have been deemed families, not units, which sounds like a compact group of strangers to me. Is that how the Throat residents are? Just a bunch of strangers who do everything together, even forced to do so? I shudder at the thought, then realize that my shudder was completely obvious, and hope that the gentleman before me did not notice it.

“What name do you go by?” He gives me a simple question to answer, and however much I try to push it away, it seems like a test. Robin. Black Robin. Odd, isn't it? Mother gave me the name, believing that somehow impossible, I would grow a dark coat eventually, impossibly, just like the rest of the family. I guess many others would expect that kind of thing from me, but it never seems to happen..." I realize that I am probably confusing the pegasus before me to his limit. I really don't want him or any others to judge me from first sight or speech, since neither give the real me frequently. I really, truly wish that the horrible unicorn mare who visited the quiet conversation between me and another horned lady would not have committed the act of coming. We were having quite a calm time, really. Then an insult to my kind, the beautiful flying creatures who can visit the sky, who can become a land animal at any precise time, fired me up, and I became part of the meeting no more.

"So you say they will include another resident or two at this time? Do you work as just a family member, or do you do a certain job for the Throat? If so, would I be accepted do you think? I am still new to the way of life we all are supposed to follow; I originate from a place that is nowhere in the area of our land here." I add this because I honestly have no idea how things work around here, just the names of places and the fact that I belong to none of them.

I wonder if being welcome is a possibility, or if they must clear you for any certain reason. I don't have a wisp of solid evidence that I would be cleared, if that is the way around here. I do hope it isn't, but I have the feeling that it is, and wondering is not going to help me, so I decide that it is, just to make myself feel more sure about the annoying, pestering matter that won't leave me. So now a new matter presents itself- how will the other pegasus react to me? I hope they will accept that I am just another one of them, here for the same reason as they are.

Will I ever end the worries?
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

As predicted her shuddering didn’t go unnoticed. In fact it was rather distressing and I instantly began to wonder for the second time in this conversation what I had said to cause her to react in such an unfitting way. Woman were a mystery that would likely always befuddle the minds of men until time untraveled; and even when this globe of dirt ceased to spin…girls would probably still confuse the opposite gender to no end. She answers what I thought to be a rather direct question, but its answered in a way that does nothing to clear my sense of uneasiness about her mental abilities. Robin. I wasn't a strange name. Her proceedings are listened to with tact and polite care, though the unmistakable flick of my white plumage shows hinting sign that her rambling is wearing on my shallow pool of patience.

Perhaps her sire and dam had a sense of humor? Foals born with light golden colors tinting their bodies, rarely darkened beyond anything past heavy cream or pale yellow. She wouldn’t have darkened into anything more than a palomino. “I guess many others would expect that kind of thing from me, but it never seems to happen….” What, ‘thing’ the lass was referring to just begs to be questioned; but I hold my trap shut out of fear that asking about her history might lead into more of an already uneasy story. If she wanted to elaborate on her personal spew of what childhood was like, then she would do so without my interjections.

"So you say they will include another resident or two at this time?”

I am given a half second to nod before---“Do you work as just a family member, or do you do a certain job for the Throat? If so, would I be accepted do you think? I am still new to the way of life we all are supposed to follow; I originate from a place that is nowhere in the area of our land here."

Silence. I let it sink blissfully in for a moment before slowly and carefully parting my lips to answer her questions in a tone that feels and sounds more than a little stiff, “Yes, we accept all with a willing heart; I’m the ‘General,’ I oversee our warriors in matters of training, and help lead during times of battle—I also recruit potential members.” Pausing a moment with hopes that she would also take a breather to let my words sit a moment. I add with a kinder note of fading sympathy, “You’ll adjust after spending a little time here.” Feeling that our conversation had come to some sort of conclusion I asked, “Would you like to visit the Throat and see if it would be a suitable home for a lady such as yourself?” I wasn’t going to turn her away…despite having doubts that her brain had all of its wires straightened out. Hopefully the hot desert sun would fry the ends of her madness right off, nothing could set you more right than a good roasting.

GOVERN</style>

Unregistered
I stand a second longer, enough to blink, and the paint speaks again, “Yes, we accept all with a willing heart; I’m the ‘General,’ I oversee our warriors in matters of training, and help lead during times of battle—I also recruit potential members.” I immediately brighten, but when I recall the 'General' part, I restrain myself from backing a step or two. He seemed to have some authority, but I didn't imagine a General. I at least know the meaning of the word, not it's rank in this community, and he mentions the training of warriors. He must be tough. I again must hold myself back from fleeing. My eyes light up when the 'recruiting of potential members' sinks in. I almost take a stride forward. I believe he will continue, and the next few moments go as predicted: “You’ll adjust after spending a little time here.” Ah, so he feels my pain. I will respect him for that, considering that no the few people I actually have met since I came have been terrible brats, and this conversation seems at ease compared to the recent others. But I can tell he is tense, and act a bit more normal, since he now seemingly thinks with passion that I am mentally ill. After is previous declaration, I have a few moments to smile and mutter, "Thank you."

“Would you like to visit the Throat and see if it would be a suitable home for a lady such as yourself?” Comes next a delightful question, which I savor with the warmth of my heart and sad gray soul, the warmth of home. I draw in breath as quietly as I can with excitement, but I can just hear the rushing noise made float into the space between us. "Oh, yes. I would love to. Thank you most sincerely." I do believe that exited my lips in a normal fashion, and hope that now Midas will understand that I will not become hysteric-minded no matter what happens, just a little lonely. This conversation has helped greatly. And with a smile, I try to prepare myself for the new life that is creeping up around the intersection of fate and life like a panther seeking sweet prey. I will not allow the thought of a home tempt me to go off and try to find the Dragon's Throat myself, as I don't really know where it is exactly. But as a reminder to no one but myself that things will change in a few minutes, as it seems, I lift my wings slightly, but subtly, as to not seem dumb if we are to walk and I did not know. Everyone just seems to be keeping the real way of life and all it's details a secret. From me.

Unregistered
(OOC: Sure.)