the Rift

No Such Thing As Time [Crven/Open]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
The trek back from the Threshold had been boring to say the least. I had seen the same walk, the same conversation, and the same questions one too many times but I was hoping for a miracle when it came to Crven. I was hoping more than anything that she was as different as the bareness of her neck. The summer sun was warm upon my face and it was quiet enough for me to hear my own heartbeat before I decided to break the silence. We had walked on in relative quiet for the mere simplicity of it and I had no problem doing so but I knew that this mare was owed due explanation of the place she was about to call home. Maybe then, the conversation would flow a little more naturally, even if I didn’t care much for the mundane. “I do hope you’ll find comfort in the Edge; it is a land of beauty after all and full of opportunity for newcomers like yourself.” For a moment I let my words hang in the air as if allowing her time to picture such a place. I wasn’t sure what kinds of things she would desire to know so I allowed a bit more time before diving into the specifics.

The soft pounding of our hooves began to sync into a perfect rhythm and if I hadn’t been so self-aware of the mare by my side, I probably would have started counting the beat out of mere obligation. I was glad for the soft fluttering of birdsong as we weaved in and out of the shadows cast upon the forest floor from the thick canopy above. It was a beautiful place, The Threshold, but it was nothing in comparison to the Edge and its fine mists. They cooled my skin in the summer and cast a pale luminescent glow in the winter; had I ever believed them to be a nuisance? I couldn’t recall such a time, so perhaps they were just as relaxing to everyone else as they were to me then.

If there is anything you’d like to discuss before arriving, I would be more than happy to indulge you Miss Crven.” Once again the words hung before her, all seriousness and curiosity in spite of the new smile that parted my lips. My warm gaze was upon her now and while I was curious enough to ask about her lack of mane, I knew better than to offend a mare upon meeting them- I would definitely be testing my sanity if I did. They had a way of making one feel guilty in spite of their innocence so I could only imagine dealing with the reaction I would get after such a simple question (of course, it was simple enough to me anyhow). Biting my tongue, I moved along, eager for her to see the Edge… this place was just too damn wonderful for anyone to turn down.

I was glad that she had come.

Crven Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Crven
Someone I used to know....

If she said the trip to the Worlds Edge had been interesting...she would have lied. Questions lingered on the edge of her tongue as she followed the brunnette stallion, her gaze falling more than once to those small wings that burst from his back. Was this how others felt when they looked at her? Curiosity that burned like fire? It was a little easier now to understand their lack of speech....Perhaps she had been ignored so many times for the same reason she was afraid to speak now. It was humbling to think that so many she had scorned had possibly just been fascinated.....as well as repulsed. When his deep voice rolled over her a tremor shot through her spine. The silence was awkward and uncomfortable....but small talk now that would be worse. She hummed a small sound of assent, not really sure what to say.....How many times had he uttered that same line? And how did others react. She supposed she should have been enthused, giddy even. But although Thor had not mentioned her bare neck and welcomed her into the fold of his herd she feared the other members might not be so.... understanding. What were the chances of a strange little mare running into a flightless Pegasus?

The silence fell over them like a cloud...and for a moment it truly seemed palpable. Until Crven realized that it was a mist that surrounded them, glimmering with the warm hues of summer....It was strange that such a humid place could exist here....though she was starting to see that nothing should catch her by surprise anymore. She stretched her neck as they moved through the mist, letting it caress her marbled hide like the embrace of a long lost friend welcoming her home. The steady clopping of their hooves was almost melodic to her, at first she had been amazed that she could keep pace with the larger stallion....but on second thought it was completely possible that he was intentionally shortening his stride. Chagrined she pushed on with a bit more speed.

Miss? Did he just call her Miss Crven? Her steps faltered with surprise that must have been more than evident on her pale face. Well.....she had never been called Miss before. Weirdo, Mexican hairless, Baldy, yeah....But Miss? That was on a whole nother plane of speech. She immediately stiffened when his warm gaze fell on her, though it quickly fluttered past. Perhaps he was being mindful of her ‘disfigurement’.... or maybe to him it was not a big deal.

" No, I...." Her speech broke off, what questions could she really ask? Not the important ones... Her blue eyes lighted on his back.. Or the interesting ones... She plodded on for several moments in silence, biting her lip to keep the questions locked inside. Why was she so enamored with his wings? Surely he must feel her gaze on his skin.... Feeling blood rush upwards to her face she quickly turned to study a honeybee, nosing the flower it had settled on until it flew away with a loud buzz of protest.

"Your wings..." She began, hesitating, wondering if she would offend the first stallion not to treat her as some sort of abomination. She suddenly shook her skull side to side, trying to physically dislodge the curious thoughts. Her gaze falling back on the handsome small winged beast she sighed. "...sorry"

WC:564
"Talk talk talk."
Image Credits

Thor</style>
World's Edge WeyrLeader
They won’t see me run, who can blame them?
They never look to see me fly, so I never have to lie</style>

For a time, I think I was lost in thought debating the many things that always seemed to haunt my sense of self. Tamira had yet to show herself since giving birth to Essetia, but who could blame her? Life as we knew it had changed… It had also been something of a Godsend after I had healed her from the dark clutches of Myriad- with the help of the Earth God of course. But I wonder if it weighed on her or made her weary. There were bits and pieces of her life that she could not get back and impressions made that were not her own. For what kind of opinion must she have of herself when she was not the sole creation implanted into her shared body? What had it felt like to awaken so far from where your mind was possessed? I could not blame her for her absence in the least because if I had been unable to keep her secret, I fear that she would be ashamed of herself… But the lies were a heavy pain upon my broken heart.

However, all notions of my mate were abandoned as Crven’s small voice broke through my mental walls. She spluttered something incoherent and I turned to look upon her with narrowed eyes. Whatever she had tried to say had been forgotten at the sight of my wings even if they were no longer a hot topic in my mind. But, her eyes seemed to take them in as if they were some foreign object, completely unexplained. I smiled tightly as she backed away, surely contriving nightmares about how I bludgeoned her to death for speaking of my faults. But it was not her responsibility to worry about how I came to be, only that I was and am, before her with wings that will not allow me flight.

They are nothing if not useless and I take no offense to prying eyes, at least not anymore. Though, it would appear that I am not the blackest of sheep in this herd, no?” Perhaps I’d been a bit protective about my malformation, but with so much on my mind and so much to be guarded about, it was hard to find a path in which contained light amongst the darkness. One day I would forgive those faults and rely on them for what they were, but until I could find equilibrium within the chaos, their effects upon my life would have to take little precedent. I would learn to overcome them someday, even if that day wasn’t necessarily this one.

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com

Unregistered
Crven
Someone I used to know....

His words had shocked her to say the least....not that she didn’t deserve such a retaliation for her prying eyes...But still.....it stung a bit. For a moment she hesitated.....perhaps she was not the black sheep he was speaking of...but who else could he be talking about, he knew that she knew no one here but him. She pursed her lips, trying to seal in the words that would undoubtedly offend Thor....who up to this point had been more than accommodating. "Oh..." She said softly, her voice wavering just the slightest bit. Perhaps she was over sensitive about her naked neck....but how could she not be. Her mouth twisted into a mix between a grimace and a frown. Her pale eyes almost noticeably darkening. "I...did not come here to be ‘your’ black sheep.". Her voice was stronger than she felt, and with a lash of her red tail she stopped in her tracks. A small cloud of dust rising around her bum as her hooves drove into the earth. Not another step would she take....not now. "I think I have made a mistake Thor.....your wings facinated me because I have never met anyone else who had a ‘deformity’ of sorts. I thought perhaps you were a kindred spirit. But apparently I was wrong." She lifted her chin, marbled ears pressing back against her skull. No...she was here for acceptance, not ridicule. And while his words were not meant as an attack she had taken them as such.

She snorted, digging at the dry earth with a single hoof. Trying to stem her anger and frustration. She should have expected this......Should have....but didn’t.

((sorry its so short :( ))
"Talk talk talk."
Image Credits

Crven paused before me to turn heated eyes upon my own. There was a sense of guilt lurking low beneath the icy surface of her gaze and it made me stop. Whatever I’d said had obviously been taken offensively and I had not meant it as such, but rather a mere statement that I was not in fact the only creature in this herd with unique attributes. Her lips begin to curl in a scowl and I start to smile as I see her outburst coming. But before she can catch my amusement at her saucy display, I decide to tuck my face into my chest in order to hide whatever traces of humor she might find there. In fact, I stay this way until she has quieted and there is not much else for her to do other than simply stare at me. I do not wish to upset her because it was never my intent… yet, as I’ve mentioned many times before, mares have a way of taking things the wrong way.

When I glance up at her, I take a moment to look upon her hairless neck and then nod slowly. I had heard everything that she had to say and I wanted nothing more than to soothe her, but I needed her to take a moment to cool before I went into the flames hoping to come back a hero. In fact, I took a moment to merely gaze upon her and let the weight of it sink in before a quirky smile began to part my lips. “My dear, I have made no such mention about making you anything other than another part of my family. But I must point out that I do not call my wings malformations because they do not hinder who I am or what I do. I believe that everyone comes into this life a “black sheep” if you will, because each and everyone one of us has a set of problems or attributes that make us different.

I pause for a moment in hopes of catching her within my gaze. Everything that I have said is true in my heart and for this I do not feel pity for the red-tailed mare. She would have to learn that appearances did not make the horse no matter what they happened to be. This herd was about acceptance, trials, errors, and learning to live amongst one another. I did not feel that I had thought wrong of the mare’s strength and only hoped that she would be able to grow and change under the guidance of the Edge. “I do not believe that you have thought wrong of me Crven because I intend to support you in whatever endeavors you have in mind. I am not as callous as you think…” With that, I move closer to her, my face drawn closed and my head down low; I intend to let her see all that interests her and as I open my mangled wings before her, I hope that she can find clarity in my confidence.

Thor

OOC|| ah dear gawd. This was not my best and I apologize. :/

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Unregistered
Crven
I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones
Enough to make my systems blow …..

((eh...I did not give you much to work with <3 Your post is fine.))

She felt chastned and angered by his calm words, glaring at him as he spouted off about everyone being different...but did that not make them all the same. She bit her tongue, offering him the respect of staying silent until he finished.....He had offered her a home after all, before pointing out that she was the proverbial black sheep. When his deep baritone began to fade she once again found her voice, although like the first time it was thick with emotion, not making the steadfast impact she had wanted. "Thor....." She began, trying to find her patience.....how could someone understand who had not been through the ridicule? The looks of disgust? She had assumed he had been through the same as she....faced name calling and backwards glances....But from the way he spoke with reverence of everyones differences it was hard to believe he had ever received a sour word. She took a step back from him, eyeing him warily as he stepped closer...seemingly to calm her down....But no....he had lit a fire, and now he had to watch it burn. "....you don’t understand either..." Though venomous in nature her voice also contained a tinge of sadness....a hint at something beneath her skin. "We might all be different.....but they can see my difference......" She tossed her head, imagining for a moment a red luscious mane that she should have had falling to kiss her neck. All this time she had never ran into anyone as different as her......not different as in a beautiful horn sprouting from her skull or magnificent wings adorning her sides....But different as in she just didn’t fit....just like Thor......but it appeared he felt he did...and the thought made her stomach ache. If he could blend in why couldn’t she?.....

He spoke again, his voice rolling over her skin in waves.....he was there for her? Now that was hard to believe.......He had known her all of an hour and suddenly he was the best friend she had never had. Stepping even closer he opened up those tiny beautiful wings to her.....it was impossible not to want to trust Thor....something about him......But only moments before she had been spitting hateful words at him, and he absorbed them all. He said his black sheep comment was not meant as a bad thing.....but how could it not. She was confused....let down...and jealous....jealous that he had not turned out an outsider like herself....But an essential and accepted part of a herd. She swallowed hard, finally pulling her pale eyes away from those beautiful wings to gaze back the way she had came. Her intentions clear as words written across her face. This was a mistake....

"Talk talk talk."

"Talk talk talk."
Image Credits

Thor</style>
World's Edge WeyrLeader
They won’t see me run, who can blame them?
They never look to see me fly, so I never have to lie</style>

I had certainly caused a crack in Crven’s smooth veneer, but I had no intentions of letting her plow over me after one harmless comment that was in no way meant to offend her. I looked down into her incredulous eyes and snorted quietly. Whatever she sought here was not something that could be given to her because sympathy was no given to those who dwelled on self-pity. I wanted her to feel welcome and find comfort among the mists, but I did not want to feel as if I were walking on eggshells every time I wanted to approach easy conversation. She was certainly damaged from whatever monster lurked in past, but this was not her childhood and these were not her demons. This was her new beginning and if she couldn’t accept it as such then I had no place trying to cure her evils. I had come to her in hopes of calling her friend and family and now she stood before me, resorting to childish melodrama in order to define her own insecurities.

I was her Leader now and while she had proved her strength back in the Threshold, I needed her to overcome her fear now before I could call her part of the Edge indefinitely.

You can walk away Crven, but do you wish to turn your back on a place that would gladly call you family? I did not invite you into my home because of your differences, but in spite of them. Would you have me believe that because you wear no threads upon your neck that you are any less of a horse or that you are weak from such insecurities? If you find that you’ve made a mistake here, then I will not force you to stay, but I do ask you to reconsider. I ask that you forget your uncertainties in order to see this through. This is your last chance to make a decision- stay or go. Whatever you decide will not change what you are in my eyes because this proud mare before me might have differences, but I was hoping that she wouldn’t be one that let them define her.

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring