the Rift

Fire Poi [Luken/OPEN!]

Laila Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

There was a rhythm beating in Laila’s chest, somewhere deep and dark, hidden away from the core of her being. She felt it, but didn’t know what it was; it was a steady beat, rocking back and forth, lazy yet determined in its persistent metronome. The ebony filly chose not to fight it, realizing without trying that it was a useless endeavor; she instead walked to it, her legs carefully placed in front of her in time with the dull throb, her hooves placed methodically before her, attempting to avoid her usual clumsiness as she made her way down the inclining face of the hill. Before her eyes was a land partially bathed in darkness; it was very newly dawn, with white, tender light starting to creep forward from the east as thought tentatively inquiring for the time of day. As such, the air was brisk and brittle, quite uncharacteristic for Tallsun; Laila admittedly realized that this was not a sensation she was used to. Born into the heat of the world she was, Laila supposed with an ironic sort of amusement that heat is what she preferred.

Chocolate eyes, heavy and warm in their sparkling regard, looked out from under black lashes, surveying the dawn of the meadows before her. This was the furthest she had ever ventured from her homeland, and there was that little pitch of fear in her heart—though Laila realized it wasn’t fear of the unknown. The creeping dawn, the thistles laying before her feet—none of these things inspired alarm in her. In fact, she embraced them. She wanted to see these grand, wonderful things, to leave the confines of her cramped and over-crowded nest. She loved the Edge of the World, she truly did; the place will forever sit in her heart as her one and true home. But Laila wanted to see things, and she had been taught them too—and she knew that the entire world didn’t smell of salt. She took a deep breath of the intoxicatingly crisp air, cleansing her lungs with it, intensifying the throb behind her eyes and deep within her heartstrings. A warm voice was speaking to her.

Tallsun is a season, and those never last for long. Soon it will change…

“I don’t like this,” Laila said suddenly, her rich voice booming forth in the stillness of the early morning hour. She hadn’t intended to say it; it burst from her mind quite unintentionally, a neat little summarization of all the things that were whirling like a dust-cloud behind her. Seasons change; they never lasted for long—the very thought brought the throb to a forefront--Laila was beginning to understand. Some things were ephemeral, such as the shift of the sun on its axis, the green of a newly grown shoot of grass—the downy undercoat of a fresh baby robin. What scared her, however, was the implication of certain things coming to an end…or the horrible idea that they never existed in the first place. Tallsun is a season, and those never last for long, said the warm, chocolate voice. Soon it will change….Laila snorted, her ears pinning for a fraction of a second and the tips of her hooves becoming uncomfortably, alarmingly warm. I do not like that, she countered in her mind. She felt as though she were being mocked by her own thoughts.

“Luken,” she said aloud, once again blurting the most intimate of thoughts. At the thought and sound of his name, her neck raised a fraction and her ears pricked upwards and forwards. Laila looked around her, searching for the blot of colorless hide in the backdrop of the dark dawn. ”Luken?” she said again, her voice unusually tiny this time; it was more of a plea than anything, a desperate attempt to try and make sense of these things. It was a painful ordeal to think of her own mother with such….pain….contempt as she was. The acknowledgment of this contempt was even more painful for Laila to face—who would ever want to think of their mother with such distaste?—but she faced it. It was beyond her wildest guess as to why her mama had gone, or why she had left in the first place. Had the ebony filly wished to come to terms with her mother, she would confront the ivory giant and ask why? Where did you go? Why did you leave us here? Do you realize how scary the night was without you there to fight the shadows? It was too confusing to think about, however—Laila wasn’t sure how she would react. Would she cry? Would she rage and storm? Her hooves began to become warm again, the sensation starting to spread to the frogs of her feet. No. She wouldn’t lose control like this. She…needed away from the ivory mare. Away from the salty air of the World’s Edge. The ebony filly needed time to think.

“I don’t like this,” Laila said again—and heat burned within the depths of her throat.

LAILA
One Day, I Shall Live by the Code of Honor

Luken Posts: 27
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.0 :: Three Years [Tallsun Born] HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Sparrow

A ways behind the dark specter that was his sister, Luken’s chocolate eyes witnessed the birth of a new day. Where one twin wandered, the other was not too far to follow… And for the pale colt, that was okay. Laila had become his world; she was his other half, the yin to his yang, the constant companion that he had bonded with since the day of his conception. Where some equines in this world traveled with their beloved creature-Companions, like their dear Weyrleader Mirage, Luken knew he would never wish or yearn for one. His companion had already been granted to him by the miracle and mercy of the Gods themselves, and that individual was his twin, Laila.

Right now, he could feel the troublesome thoughts radiating off of her, and the ghostly boy had an inkling as to what, exactly, it was about. As one day faded, another would begin… As one season passed, another would rise to take its place. It was the laws of life, and even though you may not like them, there is nothing one can do but accept it and continue on. That was the outlook that Luken had regarding the sensitive topic of his mother, Tor.

She had left. Why? He, nor Laila, truly knew. Was she unhappy in the Edge with them? Had he and Laila done anything wrong to upset her? The unpleasant thought that perhaps Destrier and Tor had experienced a troubling argument passed through is head, but just as quickly it had passed without a second thought. No. A fight is not what had lured Tor away from the Edge, and her family, for Destrier had loved her…. Whatever the reason, Luken understood now that there had been nothing in his power that he could have done to stop it. Like the rise and fall of the sun, the come and go of the tides, one simply had to accept it. And so he had.

Yet that didn't mean he had moved on.

'Luken. Luken?'

Chocolate eyes filled with pain and remorse lingered upon his ebony clad sister, colorless ears twitching forwards at the sound of her voice. She called for him, her tender vocals dancing upon the stale air, and one creamy-kissed hoof took a step forward on its own accord. When she called to him, there was nothing that he could deny her. The ever-growing colt moved through the thistle-filled brush of the meadow, his eyes only on the solitary form of his twin. He yearned to help her, to take her pain away… But how could he? A child-knight or not, there was little Luken knew how to do, aside from simply be there if she needed.

“I’m here, La-La,” he beckoned as he stepped up closer behind her, his voice soft and gentle. While not as deep as his voice would get as he aged, there had already been a considerable change in Luken’s vocals during his growth thus far. The precious name only meant for Laila fell from his pale lips, brows furrowing in concern as he approached, and he paused only a breath’s width behind her, muzzle stretching out towards her shoulder. He moved closer then, pushing the tall grasses aside and then moved to press his face into his twin’s warm side, if she would so let him. “La-La… It’ll be okay, I know it will. Do you miss Mother?” It was a pointless question, for he already knew the answer… But the mutt-colt hoped that his question would help Laila to talk, and in so, help guide her towards healing.

LUKEN
One Day, I Shall Walk the Path of the Righteous

Unregistered

*“I’m here, La-La.”*

As drawn as her face was, Laila’s mind gave a quiet, joyous smile as she sensed her brother’s presence at her side; she felt him touch her, and responded by returning his touch, this time on his brow, if he welcomed it. Luken—here was someone she knew she could trust. The bonds of siblinghood were no mere season; they didn’t falter or weaken overtime. They were forever. They would endure.

“La-La… It’ll be okay, I know it will. Do you miss Mother?”

The words were soothing to the boiling, blinding discontent within Laila’s bosom, though the timbre of his voice betrayed the unspoken concern and empathy she was feeling from him. The frogs of her feet began to cool, and soon the dewy roots of the tall grasses began to be refreshing against the long feathers of her cornets. Laila gave a great sigh, pondering his words for mere moments before finding the words to properly describe her state of mind with. “I don’t like feeling like this,” she said, her voice ever strong in the still morning air, even though the ebony filly wished only to speak with her brother and not with the sleeping song-birds in the tall-oak branches.

“I don’t like thinking of our mother this way. I miss her, Lu-Lu. I really do. I want to love her like we used to and forget that all of this ever happened—but I can’t.” Her voice faltered a moment; she looked on to the dawning sunlight, seeking inspiration and the right words. “I can’t trust her. She left us—it was the only thing I expected from her, the only promise I ever wanted her to keep—and she left to who knows where.” Laila snorted suddenly, an angry reaction to the offending memories of the recent herd meeting. “Then she had the gall to pop out of nowhere, expecting our forgiveness? As though nothing had gone amiss? Like we didn’t even notice she was gone or something. It…was insulting. Her limbs trembled ever so slightly from the force of her indignation; taking a shaky breath, Laila forced herself to calm herself and cool her boiling blood. She didn’t want to rage at Luken. ”And all the while I’m not even sure if…if this is right.” She lowered her head. “If I should even be feeling these things about our own mother.”

Laila turned her head to look at her brother, seeking his counsel. She felt defeated—the right way was obvious and obscure at the same time. She recalled the sheer anger she felt upon her mother’s touch, how she was simplyannoyed by her—no. No, Laila couldn’t think like this. Her hooves were growing warm again; the ebony filly had noticed that, as her passions erupted, she began feeling intensly uncomfortable in her feet. She…might seek a healer about that little anomaly. In the meantime, Laila figured out that the best way to deal with the fire-pains was to think about happy things…and she had plenty of those to think about.

“So…You’re going to be a Protector, then?” Her gaze shifted—it was no longer the self-doubting, scared filly filled with uncontrollable angst. There was a playful, almost teasing, yet wholly proud glow in her pupils as she studied her brother. “I always knew you had it in you…you’ll be great, Lu-Lu, just watch.” She made to head-butt him in his chest, that affectionate gesture of hers. “Just think of it,” she said, the excitement mounting in her voice, “you and I, fighting alongside father, the Twin Protectors of the Edge!…It’s awesome, isn’t it?

LAILA

Sparrow

Luken's soft, warm brown orbs lingered upon the darkened form of his sister, watching as she battled with her inner demons. He was helpless to save her from her troubled thoughts, but he would do what he could to aid her, should she need it. And, he assumed, she did... Almost eagerly the colt accepted the gentle caress to his brow, a feeling of warmth swelling inside the paleness of his brest. The simple touch was a form of reassurance that few could hardly comprehend.

Even when Laila looked away, murmuring softly about the toubles that ailed her, Luken's eyes remained locked upon his sister. In her time of need, he would withold nothing. "I understand what you're feeling, La-La," he stated gently in return, hoping that he wouldn't be upsetting her by his words, "I do. Mother leaving, it... It damaged us. Father misses her as well, I can tell, but what can we do? We can only cope... And even though she has come back to us, I feel as though she isn't the same. I feel as though she came back because of something that happened while she was away. I feel that if she truly had the choice, she wouldn't have come back." Here, the pale colt resisted the urge to grit his teeth. He was certain that he was making some kind of sense, but hopefully it wasn't too vague for his twin to understand what he was trying to say.

Did he still love Tor? Of course. She was his mother, and he would always love her no matter what life threw his way... But leaving them in the Edge with their doting father wasn't something that could simply be overlooked or forgotten in the drop of a hat. Tor would have to earn her way back into their heats, earn the trust that she once had... At least, that was Luken's insight on it.

"I don't fault you for feeling resentment, dear sister," Luken continued, stretching out his muzzle once more to brush against the velvety darkness of his twin's own nose, "I feel it, too, but... We can't let mother's faults bring us down or hinder us. Father has more than made up for her transgressions." He was only a yearling, but Luken spoke as though he withheld a greater knowledge that stretched far beyond his years. Perhaps, because he had worked hard to not only make Destrier proud, but Mirage as well, he had adapted an elegant way of speaking. Laila had, as well, during their time together.

'So... You're going to be a Protector, then?' The question took the pale boy by minute surprise, and it took him a moment to understand just what Laila was talking about before a somewhat sheepish smile crossed his lips. Yes, he had intended on following in Destrier's footsteps since he knew what a Protector was... After all, their father was a well-respected member of the Edge; shouldn't it be only right that his children followed in his footsteps?

"Yes, it is awesome," Luken agreed with a deep sincerity, finally turning his head to gaze out at the rising sun. It was still beautiful, still breathtaking. Then, he looked back to his twin as she brushed her crown against his chest, his smile growing even wider at her gentle, if not playful, touch. "You'll be just as good as I am, La-La, don't worry. We'll train together and fight alongside Father together, and some day, everyone will know our names." He chuckled then to himself at the image. "Everyone will say, 'look! There's Destrier's son and daughter! They've come so long since they were stumbling foals.' We'll make Father proud, won't we, La-La?" Finally he looked back to his twin, shifting his weight slightly as he inched closer to her, simply to feel her presence.

[ooc: Now time for Papa-Des! :D]

LUKEN

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
WILL YOU RISE ABOVE THE PAIN
OR WILL YOU SIMPLY COME UNDONE?

I am not the best at humor, but I do try my hardest when deemed appropriate.

"Ah, look! There's Destrier's son and daughter!" My voice calls out as I approach the pair, knees snapping up in their natural action as I glide across the slowly browning grasses. There is a smile plastered across my face, for it has been far too long since I had spent any quality time with my children, and I was in a particularly good mood. The chill of autumn mornings always did me wonders in both mind and spirit, washing my sorrows and my worries away all at once, if only for a little while.

Drawing to a halt just feet away from them, I took a moment to examine the changes that they had gone through within their first year of life. While Laila still had some trouble with putting her feet where they needed to be, she had grown noticeably more graceful, more beautiful like her mother. I could remember how frightened of the world she had been in her first weeks, but it seemed she had more than overcome that since then. She had proclaimed herself ready to become a protector not so long ago, and while I had been surprised at first, I quickly realized how foolish it was of me to think like that. I was proud of her, and I knew that she would only continue to amaze with every new day.

Then, there was Luken, my brave little warrior from the start. It came as no surprise to me when he declared to Mirage that he wished to become a warrior, for deep down, I wasn't sure I could envision him doing anything else. I found an immense joy every time he would try and copy my natural stride in his younger years, and although it would come to him no matter what as he grew older, I couldn't help but admire his integrity. I knew that Luken, too, would continue to surprise me until the end of my days, just like his sister.

With a soft sigh, I dropped my head to a comfortable angle and exchanged my surely nostalgic expression to one of happiness. I was content to be with my children, alone and away from the World's Edge for once, despite my everlasting love for the cliff sided land and it's people. Settling my gaze upon the pair, I finally spoke. "You two shouldn't be worrying about making me proud... You already have, the both of you, more than you probably realize." As I speak, I begin to wonder if they think I am trying to coddle them, but that is not the case. I simply wish for them to know that I already am so proud of them.

But now, my mind begins to crank and I quickly conjure another subject to bring up. This one is more serious, but it is a question that has been weighing heavily upon my mind for quite some time now. As I had stated already, I was happy that my children were confident enough to make their own decisions, for they would be adults before long, but I thirsted to know the answer. "Laila, Luken..." I start, exhaling softly, "May I ask you two something?" A brief pause is given, granting them adequate time to answer before I continue. "I want to know why you wish to become Protectors, above all other paths you have the choice to follow. I am not reprimanding you for your choices, no; I am merely curious."

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Unregistered

Laila’s heart thawed, her chest and throat feeling misty and refreshed as a meadow might after a heavy rainstorm; his words, laced in that warm, steady voice of his, were sufficient to calm the ebony filly and soothe most of her deepest fears. She wasn’t alone in her disregard for her mother; her mind alone wasn’t some rotten vegetable stuck in the patch, tainting all the other colorful fruits of the harvest. She wasn’t some detestable creature of hate—apparently, these types of feelings came natural, if she was taking her brother’s example. And she always took Luken’s example; he was her staple in her hardest times. A pale shadow in the darkness of life’s mysteries, Laila reflected just how she would be able to function without her yoke, her rock, her dearest twin.

As he spoke of his visions for their warrior future, Laila couldn’t help but give her frizzy mane a little toss in excitement and pride; his words energized her, and inspired her imagination to soar. It was almost as though she could see the scene unfold before them, clear as day; Luken, the white sentinel; Laila, the black sentry—the two standing apart or side by side, watching over the lands graced to them by the Goddess of the Moon. Her eyes acquired a fiery, passionate cast, and she grinned widely at his words.

*"Everyone will say, 'look! There's Destrier's son and daughter! They've come so long since they were stumbling foals.' We'll make Father proud, won't we, La-La?"*

She turned to her brother then, opening her mouth to enthusiastically give her answer; but before she could utter a single syllable, another voice cut in; a low baritone, strong, calm, sure in its words, and a blanket of comfort to the ebony filly in every way.

*"Ah, look! There's Destrier's son and daughter!"*

Laila’s head perked up, her eyes feverishly looking for the source of such a familiar boom of a voice—she didn’t have to look long. Coming just over the hill seemed to be a walking shadow, hulking and proud in its step; but Laila knew it was her father Destrier, and she gave a tiny squeal of excitement. She ran for him, certain her brother ran with her; she made to crash into his heavy chest, to press herself against his broad side in greeting. Daddy! She shouted in her mind—a chant that was repeated over and over until it echoed within the confines of her mind. Daddy, daddy, daddy!

He spoke about his pride in the two of them; Laila’s heart melted at his words. Yet they had the adverse effect of making Laila want to inspire his pride even more than she originally wanted to. More than anything, she felt beholden to her father for his care, his love, his gentle guidance; while Tor had been the voice who lulled them to sleep, it was Destrier’s eyes that greeted them at sun’s first light. And unlike her mother’s voice, this had not faded away into nothingness; those great, brown eyes had never left Laila’s side, and it was such a sweet, almost painful relief that her father was still here to protect her and guide her in this scary world that Laila had the almost overpowering desire to cling to the great stallion. If he ever left, she knew she would be devastated—yet somehow, Laila could not imagine that scenario. It was just as ludicrous to imagine the sun winking out by the gust of a typhoon; it was just a laughable thought to be had.

*"May I ask you two something?"*

Laila took a step back from her father, craning her neck so she could look up into his big brown eyes with curiosity.

*"I want to know why you wish to become Protectors, above all other paths you have the choice to follow. I am not reprimanding you for your choices, no; I am merely curious."*

Laila took a huge breath—then exhaled it slowly, deeply pondering his question. Her mind warped back to the moment she made the decision; the touch Tor gave, after so much time away from her children, and self-pity she had heard her mother speak with at the Herd Meeting. Just thinking about it now made the frogs of Laila’s feet sear in her anger; she took another breath to cool it. It was just that anger, that spark of fiery passion, which Laila had used to speak her mind about her intentions to become a Protector.

If Laila was honest with herself, she would admit that it was the shame for her mother that had led her to shake that sort of matriarchal inheritance and run to the shadow of her father. In a traditional sense, Laila would have become a healer in her mother’s stead, a profession she had considered with just as much interest as she had expressed in the arts of a warrior. But then her mother had vanished—and with her mother, all the inspiration she had for the care and cultivation of life and life threads. The very thought of healing others brought too much pain for Laila to bear—for who could heal the bloody wound of broken trust? That was Time’s domain and power, and Laila didn’t possess that.

So she now considered being a Protector, cutting all ties with her mother and the thought of her in the process, trying to truly analyze her desire to become a warrior. It was somewhat shocking to Laila when she found genuine passion she had never seen within herself before; some inner temerity that was buried under the heartbreak Tor had caused. This fortitude blossomed as she gazed into Destrier’s face, the face of her father—and now, more than ever, her way was clear, her mind was set, and Laila had never felt so much confidence in herself than what she felt now.

“Because, father,” she started slowly, her words bold and careful all at once, “I wish to show my pride for my family and my herd, and cherish every member as they were my kin.” She puffed out her chest, eyes blazing as she became emboldened by her desires, “I choose to fight because I know there are those who can’t, and I wish to uphold their honor. I want to fight for honor.I have a healthy, well-formed body, and I wish to use it to the best of its ability!”

LAILA

Sparrow

'Ah, look! There's Destrier's son and daughter!'

The echoing of their father's deep voice is what caused Luken to snap his gaze away from his sister, chocolate eyes immediately catching the ebony stallion as he approached. Always majestic, Destrier was; long crimped strands of his mane simply accentuating the hard-packed muscle and raw strength that came with the Friesian breed. Their father was a remarkable stallion, one that Luken was proud to call 'dad', and one day he hoped that he could follow in such formideable steps. Pale ears swiveled forward and Luken stomped a hoof in excitement, just as eager as his twin sister to see their father. They were a close-knit family, even moreso now that Tor had gone...

"Father!" Luken exclaimed, bolting alongside his sister towards the dark mass that was their father. Through their bond of twin-hood Luken could feel the excitement that radiated off of Laila's dark body, which contrasted so sharply with his own pale one in the new morning sunlight.

Somewhere, in the darkest recesses of Luken's mind where he only rarely traveled, he is envious of the similarities between Destrier and Laila. Oh, no. He could never be angry at, or hate them due to their physical features, but sometimes he felt as though he is the one left out... They are both dark and beautiful in their own ways, and he, a pale contradiction. It was obvious that he took more after their mother, the pale canvas of fur marred only by a few splotches of darkness... But, it also strengthened the resolve that he felt. Where one could look at Laila and immediately see her resemblance to Destrier, Luken knew that they would look upon him and see Tor. No. Luken would fight and make a name for himself, so one day, those of the Edge and beyond could look at him, and proclaim with pride that he is Destrier's son. One day...

Until then, however, Luken was content to act like the foal that he still was. A yearling, yes, and of course he had greatly matured... But he would always be a 'father's boy', striving to make him proud. It was obvious that he was like that since his early years, when he would clumsily attempt to mock his father's high-knee prance.

Like his dark sister, Luken rushed to their father's form. A pale, pink-hued nose stretched out, desperate to make contact with his father's own muzzle. Safety and love is what he would always associate with Destrier, with enough power to make enemies tremble at his feet... But with his children, always so tender.

They settle down as one, the twins calming in their exhueberant excitement and instead listening to their father speak with keen ears. Listen and do as you're told, they had learned. Destrier asked just why they yearned to be protectors, and Luken turned his head to his sister, glancing into her chocolate eyes as she spoke. Yes, that was it entirely.

"We want to stand in the way of oncoming danger and protect innocents with our lives," it was a noble ambition, but the truth. As a warrior, Destrier would probably understand that, despite the fact that they were his children. "It will be dangerous, we know... But we're ready to take that risk. We are ready to defend our home, and our family's honor. For aren't they one in the same?"

LUKEN

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
WILL YOU RISE ABOVE THE PAIN
OR WILL YOU SIMPLY COME UNDONE?

There were no words to describe the joy I felt when I saw the faces of my children light up when their eyes found me. In that moment I was reminded of how truly young they still were, virgins to the horror that life could often be. They had yet to watch beloved friends and family fall to the hands of war, bloodied and cut down in the prime of life. It was an unfortunate sight I had often witnessed in times past, and I surely didn't wish for my dearest children to ever witness such a scene.

Pushing the horrid memories of battle out of my head, I forced a smile to pass my lips and settled my gaze to my precious twins. Reaching out to them, I pressed my muzzle gently against their own in way of greeting, so unbelievably happy to still have them with me. Unlike their mother, I could always count on them to still be there when morning came, or when darkness fell upon the land of the Edge. Selfishly, I wished for them to always be at my side, but I knew well that they each had their own lives to live.

When we had all calmed and I had asked my question, I watched with genuine interest as both Laila and Luken thought deeply about my question. It was wonderful to see that they would put so much effort into coming up with their best answers, rather than spitting out the first thing that came to mind. Although this would seem a minute thing to others, it caused a swelling of pride in my chest.

Laila was the first to speak. Turning my head to focus solely upon my dark daughter, I listened, and gave a firm nod of my head as she explained her reasoning behind her want to become a warrior. She had certainly given this thought even before my arrival. I, too, had chosen to fight for a higher cause; for family, whether we shared blood or not. Even in my younger years it had been apparent in Gassul, and even more so after I had learned to accept the elven race in Vallhea, namely Bran.

Next, my dearest son speaks, only strengthening my feelings towards the twins. I wasn't sure that I could even beat their answers, the fact nearly causing a chuckle to escape my throat. I was thankful that they were very much aware of the threat that warriors were presented with, but I was still somewhat uncomfortable with the thought of them following in my footsteps. They were my children after all, my own flesh and blood, and I couldn't bear the thought of them falling in battle at the hands of an enemy.

Exhaling softly, I gave a firm nod of my head. "Very much so, Luken," I reassured the youth, and then straightening up, I exchanged a glance to each of them. In all of my years, I had grown keen to catching on to suppressed feelings, and I was not blind to the ones hidden by my own children. I wasn't entirely sure just what they were hiding, but a part of me suspected that it had something to do with their absent mother. Her disappearance had affected us all, yet none of us seemed to want to bring it up. I wanted to reassure them that she would come back some day and things would return to normal, but what was normal? Would she ever come back and settle at all? She had left me alone to tend to our children, and while I did not mind, I couldn't help the feeling of absolute betrayal.

As hard as it was, I forced the thoughts away. I needed to focus on my children and the answers they had just given me, and as the newly named Winglead, it was even more so my duty to teach them something of their desired rank. Plastering a smile back onto my face, for it had slipped just moments ago, I pressed on. "Laila, Luken..." I started, "You were both blessed with big hearts from day one, and my words could never express how proud I truly feel of you both. One day, you will make remarkable warriors. This I know." Lifting my head a bit higher, my smile turned into something more playful, almost mischievous. "How much do you two know about fighting, anyway? Perhaps it is time I test this."

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Unregistered

*"Laila, Luken…You were both blessed with big hearts from day one, and my words could never express how proud I truly feel of you both. One day, you will make remarkable warriors. This I know."*

Her neck still strained so that she could look her father in the eye, Laila’s body shifted and she took a few energetic steps backwards, forwards, left, and right; her excitement with his words caused her body to move, filled with such sincere happiness with his satisfaction. Some small part in her mind had dreaded hearing The Words—the ones Laila dreamt of on dark nights when her mind was weakest and besieged with unpleasant thoughts and memories. “You’re a girl; it’s too dangerous for you.” Laila didn’t know where that sentence had snuck into her mind; not once in her life had either of her parents displayed any inclination to bar the black filly from her desires. They were both open-minded adults, something Laila was profoundly thankful for—this sentence was probably just some wayward worry that solidified itself into a coherent phrase.

Such was the curse of insecurity. No longer could Laila blindly trust and assume facts in her life; there was always a tiny voice of doubt now in the back of her head, a mere sense that itched whenever she listened to someone speak. Suppose it was healthy for the filly to develop such a sense early on; it would help her survive and mature at a secure, steady rate. Even though she was now unaware of the bittersweet ache of growing up, as Laila looked into the face of her father Destrier, she couldn’t help but feel a twinge of desperation, as though this was the world’s last chance for redemption. If she couldn’t trust her father’s word….who could she trust?

Luken? Always

*"How much do you two know about fighting, anyway?”*

Laila opened her mouth to speak, blurting out her answer without preamble, “Not a thing, father!” Then she paused, her face frozen with wide eyes; it was such a personal revelation that she felt somewhat shamed by it. She truly didn’t know much about fighting—heck, she could barely get her limbs to move in a smooth gait without a second thought. Sudden, childish panic gripped her chest; was she really cut out for warrior-hood if she didn’t know a thing about the art? But then her father spoke again, and Laila gave him her attention once more.

*“Perhaps it is time I test this."*

“Oh will you Daddy?” Laila asked, suddenly excited again; her frizzy tail gave a tiny jump in her sudden happiness. The idea of her father training them—actually giving them on-the-ground advice—strengthened her confidence and resolve all the more; some idea formed in her head that, if Destrier were the one to train and test them, then somehow she would display hitherto undiscovered skills in regards to battle and the fine arts of fighting. She threw Luken a look of pure, unadulterated excitement, as though beaming her thoughts to him with the intensity of her chocolate brown stare. Can you just imagine it? Training with dad! Isn’t it incredible?!

LAILA