the Rift

[PRIVATE] heart AND downfall [Psyche]
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Takes place right after the Plague meeting, with them lingering alone for a while. :]

THE PLAGUE
Mauja
He thought, that just maybe, they were stronger now than they had ever been before. But just as he thought that might be true, he also knew that they were nowhere near strong enough. Was he wrong, to enforce caution? Would they never amount to anything if he always told them to hush, to slink in shadows and never let the sun gleam upon their rows of shiny, hungry teeth? If he let them go — would they become an avalanche, unstoppable, until they had dragged every other soul into motion and drowned Helovia in a thick layer of pristine snow.. or would they bleed out on the mountain slopes, useless, scattered and broken? He was no scryer, no clairvoyance ran in his cold blood. He could not know until it had come to pass, but was he growing so fearful that he'd never let it? Did old habits die so hard that he would never dare reveal his face? They were stronger now.. as they filtered out from the cave and into the oncoming blizzard Mauja closed his eyes and listened to the chip of hoof on rock, the clatter of warriors moving out and away.

Was he growing weak?

His breath rose like white smoke towards the cave roof, rising rapidly before his eyes once he opened them again. Even Snö was growing up — she, who had been conceived at roughly the same time as the Plague itself. Quietly he watched as she slipped out into the night beyond. He was not old himself, at least not in body, but was his mind growing frail, his heart afraid? No, he tried to tell himself. He knew that he would still die for every one of them, that he would never seek to abandon them to save his own life. His life was theirs, his body their shield, the lies his tongue spun the veil behind which they lurked.

The grind of teeth against teeth seemed too loud in the cave, and it was with a look of surprise he realized it'd come from him. The cave was almost empty, except for him and Psyche — perhaps no one would've noticed. He gave his head a shake, watching the last of their loyal warriors move out into the night, under Irma's keen eyes, though she was considering to fly into the maze of ice to avoid the strengthening winds and falling snow. She had no intention to freeze her feathers off where she sat.

And then, finally, they were alone, but instead of finding words he felt them stick in his throat as his heart lurched, uncertain. Why did the thought of being alone with her suddenly terrify him, when they had been alone so many times before? Drawing in a deep breath, he let his eyes travel the glistening wall, before he finally spoke into the unicorn-smelling darkness. "Thank you," he said, something rough in his voice, as he was not sure of what he was doing. ".. I guess." The amendment was even quieter, and with another shake of his heavy mane he slipped forward a step or two, raising his crown towards the ceiling. Suddenly it seemed so much colder. "I.." He remembered, even if he hadn't acknowledged it at the time, the faint glance she'd given him, the look, as if almost asking for his approval or praise, his input. With his head turned away from her, he frowned slightly. "You are doing well," he finally said, his voice revealing that he meant it. Despite what d'Artagnan had said of them needing him whether they knew it or not, he couldn't quite believe him; Psyche had brought them to glory after his downfall.
BANE
Image Credit
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

The victor will never be asked if he told the truth.

[OOC | Well, this went in a bit of a different direction than I expected o.O]

Just what is weakness, anyway? How can one word hold so many meanings? She heard it exchanged between doctor and patient, a medical condition including lack of physical strength, fatigue, dizziness. A more figurative definition could be found in descriptions of character - perhaps one is feeble, unable to make difficult choices; perhaps one is simply lacking in vigor, in durability. But is that all that it means to be weak?

The shadow-mare had always thought that weakness came from emotion. If one showed love, or affection, or sadness, or any real feeling at all, one showed weakness. An enemy, after all, could take that feeling and use it against you, couldn't they? In their eyes, you would be weak - wouldn't you? Or did they simply consider it a tactical advantage? When they used it against you, would they look upon you with pity for having felt at all, or would they look upon you with respect for daring to try to have it all?

As her amber gaze watched them disperse, her family, or as close as she had ever had to one, she was aware that weakness was not in their makeup. Perhaps they each had weaknesses as individuals, but as a whole, they were strong. It was not enough, but it was more than it had been before. If they continued on this trend, who knew what they could do?

The FrostHeart was the last to hold her attention, and somehow she was not surprised. As the sounds of hoof on stone faded, she waited, somehow knowing that he would speak first, knowing that he had something to say. She watched him in silence, and was rewarded. "Thank you... I guess." She tilted her head to one side, an unreadable expression on her face. "I... you are doing well." The praise warmed her even as the chill of the cave sent a shiver down her spine; but the frown that accompanied it confused her.

"Thank you," she said, and the words felt foreign on her tongue. She took a step toward him, and then another, peering at him with something almost like concern in her orbs. She had understood the play of emotions when he had first returned to them, but she did not know how much time he would need to return to his old self - or even if he would. "I was waiting for you, you know," she finally added in a halting voice. "You were gone, but... I hoped you'd come home." There was longing, now, a raw, but altogether truthful edge to her vocals. "And I wanted to be ready for you."

Ready? Ready in what way? Clearly, she had brought them all together, had strengthened the Plague. All of this was prepared for his return. But had she been ready? Had she gathered her thoughts, her - her feelings? Emotion was something that she had not known that she was privy to, and yet... here they were. She had learned in his absence, and she continued to grow and morph until she didn't even know who she was anymore - but she knew herself now better than ever. But was she ready for him?

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits
[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.
Ascended Helovian

THE PLAGUE
Mauja
She held her tongue behind him, nothing but a quiet, dark presence at the edges of his awareness. If not for the sound of his own breathing, his own heart in his ears, would he have heard her own life tick away to count the moments of silence? Maybe, maybe not. As it was, his own voice sounded rough and foreign in the silence, as if the merest tremor in it would shatter the world of glass. He was on thin ice, and with his sudden plunge into uncertainty, it felt like it could break under his feet any moment and send him into the deep, dark depths. Why did it feel so frightening, to probe the dark, tense mass that was his emotional center? He did not know what love was. He had never loved. Right? His eyes closed, his thoughts spinning fast, but not fast enough. It was like running through a dark forest, without a light, with jungle vines reaching down to tangle him, roots to trip him; running blind, away, wanting to get out, but at the same time.. intrigued, yet unable to stop. He heard her quiet reply, how she reclaimed the space he had put between them, how the layers around her voice fell away and bared.. the truth?

Why did her words terrify him? Why did they feel like an eagle's foot closing around his heart, the sharp talons reaching in to pierce the beating muscle and slowly squeeze the blood from it — why? When she had left, he had waited, but when she had not returned, he had moved on; and now he had left, but she had waited, and kept waiting. In his darkness he breathed, in, out, and tried to stifle the panic rising in his throat. Her face swam in front of his closed eyes, and no matter how he tried to force her down into the depths she kept eluding his touch and rising like light towards the surface. Forcing his jaws to relax, Mauja opened his eyes, some unreadable sadness in them as he slowly turned to look upon her, the midnight empress, their dark shadow lady. "I wanted to come home too," he said quietly, thinking of two vivid dreams he had dreamed when in that wasteland of time. But he couldn't say the words, to you.

He was not ready.

Slowly, he looked away from her again, but remained where he stood, by her side, yet not touching. So close, but so far away.. there was a war raging in his mind and heart, but he smothered it all, refused to listen. Instead, he just blinked rapidly, even though he had no tears to clear from his wintery eyes. "Because this is where I belong." Beside her? He didn't know. He felt like a thief, a cheat, but his heart kept up its beating, one thump for one life, another for a second; ironic, how even the pulse of life was dual, conflicted, but which one followed in the shadow, and which one was in the lead? Letting his head rise towards the icy roof he tilted his head, his white forelock sliding off his face. "You've grown," he simply said, wishing to keep the conversation at bay, the emotions outside, to drown out the sound of the howling wolves clamoring in his soul — he didn't want to feel the conflict, the rip, the tear, the forces pulling him asunder. It had been so easy to promise his life to the cause, to say for the greater good when in doubt, but when he stood at the crossroads, he found that he could go down neither path.
BANE
Image Credit

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

What had they become?

She hadn’t ever truly understood their relationship. At the beginning, it was a union to gain power. At the beginning, she had given in to the guise of love, perhaps – but no. Not even that, for he had known the difference, he had known her all along. And perhaps they could have loved, before she left – wasn’t that what had scared her into hiding, after all? That potential weakness that accompanies affection? And when she had returned, she had found him scarred beyond repair, the father of a new colt (where was the bastard now, she wondered) and the bearer of a newly frozen heart. Perhaps it would have been easier if she had never returned, but she had, and she had determined to return herself to his good graces. Perhaps she had learned from her past mistakes – or perhaps she simply hadn’t had the time to repeat them.

The invasion came too soon, his disappearance came too soon, and somehow the shadow-mare had assumed the role of leader. She had hated him then, though she could not say where her anger came from. If it was because he had left her, because she needed him, because she wanted him, she would never say it. Instead, she buried her fury and her grief (if it were there at all) beneath a layer of frigidity that had not previously existed. She began to understand how he had become the FrostHeart. How he had felt when she had left. No, she could never understand that, for her departure was voluntary. How much more that must have injured him!

The dream had broken her, his return had overjoyed her – but what were they now? At times, she felt that she owned him, not in the way that she owned the Plague and her followers, but in the way that one lover claims another. At times, she could entertain the fantasy of what might have happened, had she stayed. What might could happen now that she had returned. But at other times, he remained at a distance, a placement that she accepted more than willingly. They placed each other in neat little boxes with tidy little labels and left them to rot, not caring to further any relationship that might have been. And yet, regardless of how she felt about him, the knowledge remained that she needed him. It was a weakness that she might have been loathe to admit, once, but now she recognized the impossible: they were stronger together than they were apart.

Who needs love? Perhaps a pairing based on mutual need, mutual trust, mutual goals – perhaps not a pairing of carnal desires, but one of mutual respect – perhaps that was what they had accomplished, perhaps that was what they should have had all along. (What is love, anyway? Is that love? Does she love him?) ”I wanted to come home, too,” he told her, and there was something horrendously sad about the way he said the words. ”Because this is where I belong.” The silence that followed was oppressing, suffocating. He was so close to her, so unbearably close, and it would have been so easy to simply breach the tiny chasm of space, to press her maw to his shoulder. It would have been so easy, but would it have been right?

”You’ve grown.” Of course she had grown. She had been forced to, hadn’t she? The moment had passed, and she regretted her lack of action. Such an emotion was a new one for the Dark Empress – regret and guilt were simply not in her repertoire of emotions – but it was there nonetheless, and she looked away to mask it. ”I had to,” she replied simply. ”There’s more than just hatred,” she found herself continuing. ”There are other things to consider. To feel. I thought that caring would make me weak, but… it would seem that my bond with the organization is stronger. With the herd, too.” With you. But she couldn’t quite say it.

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.
Ascended Helovian

THE PLAGUE
Mauja
Somewhere, even in his reluctance, his hesitation, he felt his heart start pounding. It echoed in his skull, thrummed like war drums in his veins, and for a moment he allowed himself to drift away, tugged by the currents of memory. He couldn't help but remember hints of things from his conversation with Ophelia, hints of emotions, of warmth, undercurrents, something vaguely reciprocated.. but even as his icy heart struggled, he knew that it was like a dream. Something too good, too perfect, and ultimately, out of reach. Mauja did not think himself a bad man. He was not the storybook villain draped in the finest black velvet, with a sneer just behind his smile. His heart was made of ice, but within flickered a candle. Only if the candle melted his heart's chilly cage and he forsook everyone he knew could he reach out and grasp that dream. Much as he wanted it, he knew that he couldn't have it, but quietly he resolved to stay asleep for as long as he could.

He had known, ever since he was born, that it would come to this. He had always known that his life was not his own. And he had prepared for the moments when he would have to set his own chances, his own futures, aside, for something greater.. something better, more worthy. Something more important that one man and his life.

Slowly, he felt the flame inside flicker and diminish. If he would listen to the whispers in his blood, the quiet voice humming softly in his veins, he would never be ready, would never return. Sometimes, you just had to do the right thing, even if it was harder, and more painful. Mauja blinked, slowly. Psyche was talking of hatred and caring, and he knew that he'd set it off by saying she'd grown. He'd always thought it was better to rule with love and compassion than fear and punishment. He would rather have genuine loyalty at his back than those who would rather be free of his oppression. Such a rule inspired only cowards and backstabbers, and the ruler was the greatest of them all. In the still cave his tail flicked. As she had been upon her return, he would not have made her Queen. Too callous, cold and detached.

As she was now?
It wasn't his call anymore.

But the least he could do was to be her partner in crime, something they had already sealed by Delinne's return home. And now, she'd confirmed he was still her closest man, her second hand in the Plague. But, he had to be honest with her.

"That bond will be stronger than one of fear," he told her in his quiet, smooth voice. Like water over flawless marble. "Touch that spot in every heart, and they would rather die for you than flee." A slight shrug of his snowy shoulders. "At least, that's what I've always found."

Abruptly, his tail flicked again and he shifted his weight; ironically, not away from her, but somewhat closer. "Psyche. I..." He frowned. Then he snorted, and plunged on. "There's something you should know. When you came back, things were.. different." He'd been colder. She, too. He'd been hurt; she uncertain of where she stood, at least he thought she'd been. "And when I came back.." He gave his head a small shake. He'd been lost and confused; she'd been stronger.. and more open. "I didn't know what we could be. I didn't know how the pieces would fit so well, so strongly," his voice little more than a whisper. "I hadn't been back long when Faelene found me. She caught me unawares, and.. somehow, we seemed to dare each other to do more and more, until.. well. I think you get the picture." He did not want to hide from this anymore. Even if she'd be angry, she had to know, better now than later. His pale eyes turned sideways, seeking hers. Now she'd know who the father of Sielu was, too. A wry, self-conscious kind of smile touched his face for a moment. "I probably shouldn't have done it."

Feeling he'd already thrown all caution to the wind, he went on. "And I didn't know.. didn't dare to think.. that we could, maybe.. be greater, together, than we are apart." They'd already proven it once, but in the cave, they were separated, and his heart pounded with something he dimly recognized as fear — and anticipation.
BANE
Image Credit

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

There was silence, and she wondered if she had said the right thing.

Is there any such thing as destiny? Fate, as some would call it? Is it possible that her past – that their past was meant to be as it was? That even now, even knowing the results of her actions, that she would do it all over again the same as she had before? Would she emerge as the same mare that she had come to be? She had grown, Mauja was correct about that – but would she have grown in the same ways, had things been different? Would he have groomed her into becoming his queen? Or would he have given up on her? Would she have ended up alone, or would they be standing together now?

Did she even want to know?

It was for the best that things had gone the way they had. She had somehow made the right decisions, even if they had seemed wrong at the time. Perhaps her leaving was the crack in the iceberg, the beginnings of her heart thawing. Perhaps the overwhelming guilt at stealing their daughter away had been her undoing, for it was surely what had started her on the path to this – this redemption. Once she would have considered herself weak, even in the role that she held now. Her personality would have been deemed weak, her ideals weak, everything about her weak. But now… now she saw only strength.

How liberating it was to realize that she had broken free of her father’s oppression. How wonderful is was to understand that caring did not lead to your downfall – instead, it was as Mauja said. Affection would lift her up where fear would not, would grant her loyalty where threats would inspire only hatred. She had grown, yes, and it was all somehow, inexplicably thanks to him. She wanted him to share in it, not for the glory of it, but because they truly could do more together than they could apart.

His voice breaks the silence, breaks through her myriad thoughts and emotions. She nodded as he acknowledged her discovery. His weight shifted toward her, and for the briefest moment she thought he meant to lean upon her – for what, support? And then he plunged into reminiscent words, explanations – perhaps even a bit of an apology? Something inside her shied away from him as he recounted his experience with the Thief, another part of her rearing its ugly, jade-eyed head with jealousy, and still another seeking solace for its wounded heart. But when his eyes met hers, the pieces of her mind that had spiraled so briefly out of control returned, fell under her command once more.

Once, she might have held him responsible, might not have understood the trauma that he had been through. She still could not hope to completely empathize. And yet she knew that he had not been himself during that dark time, and she had, in fact, tried to give him his space so that he might find his own way. And he had returned to her side, admitted to his wrongdoing (for she did indeed think that his actions were wrong, even if she chose not to hold it against him). But it was his last words that caused her breath to catch. It was only for a second, perhaps not even perceptible – but somehow she knew that he would hear.

But how to respond? For once, the Empress was well and truly at a loss for words. I forgive you, seemed too broad, too assuming. How could you? was too false, too affronted. And more than anything, she could not hope to come up with an eloquent response to that last. ”We've all made mistakes. I can’t hold you accountable for those you might have made,” she finally whispered, unsure. ”I… we weren’t… there was no reason you shouldn’t have….” Was there? No – no, of course not. They were nothing, then. They had never been anything, though she had been to blind to realize it. Never, until that day in the Meadow with Delinne and the skyrat. And even then - never, until today.

”Did you want to be together?” That question was softer even than before; the next, barely audible: Do you want to be together?” Her mouth was suddenly dry, a feeling much like trepidation blossoming in her bosom. This was hallowed ground over which she walked now, the path untried and untested. She could only hope that it did not fall out from under her. Panic grew, and she wondered if she wanted to hear the answer, if perhaps this might be too much honesty. But perhaps it was only shame: I do, she couldn’t quite say, the words catching in her throat. But in her amber gaze, perhaps for the first time, there was something akin to hope.

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

THE PLAGUE
Mauja
He heard it. He heard the hitch in her breath, so soft in the cavern that he noticed it only because the rhythm was off — like realizing a subtle noise had just stopped, though you hadn't been aware of hearing it until it went silent. But it was more than just that. It was more than just the surprise. Somehow, it embodied everything in that conversation: the cracks in their heart, the sudden realization that they were speaking of truths they had never voiced before. In that single, involuntary movement, she'd somehow summed it all up, and in his mind he looked down at the thin, cracked ice beneath his hooves and smiled.

How fortunate that they couldn't fall through the Arch floor.
He'd done enough falling in his dreams.

She was silent, for longer than he would've expected, and something about it amused him the most disconcerting fashion. He felt detached, even as the bemusement slowly claimed his consciousness. Of all the times he'd spoken with Psyche, this had to be the first time he felt like he'd stunned her into silence, and something about it just felt so absurd and otherworldly he wanted to laugh. But he didn't. That would just make everything worse. Perhaps she was angry, that she'd slept with Faelene, and that was why she wasn't responding. But, no — this stillness had come after his last words. Trying to force all the strange emotions escaping from some unknown corner of his soul he, too, remained quiet.

To his great surprise, she didn't call him an idiot. She didn't say he was stupid, that he was a whore; she just whispered that she couldn't fault him for it, that.. there'd been no reason not to?

Was there a reason now? Was there to be a reason, after tonight?

Her low voice continued, asking a question that partly chilled him to the core. The unsure part of his mind began roaring that it was a trap, that admitting to something.. it'd be like the doe asking the wolf for its hand. She'd turn around and laugh at him and call him a weak fool. But — not even the Dark Empress would know how to fake such a question. Her eyes seemed so naked, as if she'd finally shed that cloak of darkness, the notion that a ruler should be detached and cruel.. the notion that emotions were weak.. the notion that she couldn't feel. She had the eyes of a hawk, but they seemed too light, too fragile, like her soul had suddenly turned to a glass sphere resting under his raised hoof.

"We can be great together," he murmured, somehow feeling sure of this; his heart kept up its dual beat, his eyes pale beneath his forelock as he looked at her. She had been the first he'd come to care for, though it had never blossomed into love. Their journey through betrayal and reconciliation was so different from.. from the dream. He left his thought at that. She seemed so.. brittle and frail, and he felt so strangely calm and detached, even though he had no real idea what it was she was asking him. Was she talking of what they could achieve? Or was she talking about the emotion that had never really existed between them before?

What did he feel?
Did it matter?
Could he do this to her?

He didn't know. Couldn't answer. Let his calm, quiet eyes speak as his weight shifted slightly again, to bring their shoulders to touch; not for support, not for comfort. Just for the sake of a simple touch.
BANE
Image Credit

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

Perhaps it would be better, to not have a name for their relationship. To create a word for what may or may not be there. Wouldn’t it just complicate things? Well, she, for sure, had just complicated things. Of course she would have grown weak and stupid, of course she would ask the hard question. What did she even mean by it? Did he want to be together – together how? What does that imply? About her? About them? And how was he to answer without either causing harm or leading on the façade of a relationship – something that neither of them could truly partake in – could they?

The panic began to set in then, at first a building pressure in her chest, growing into a cacophony of voices yelling at her, screaming for her to run, to leave, to get out while she can. But she wouldn’t – or couldn’t? – do that. She would be weak. Stupid. She would be like every other mare. And, after all, what had she to fear from the FrostHeart? Rejection? She scoffed at the idea. After all, she was the Lady of the Basin. She was the Dark Empress. She had led them to glory, with the hope of gaining them still more.

And yet – why was her heart beating so inexplicably fast?

The balance was precarious – he trusted her, but then he did not trust her – not that she had ever truly given him reason to. She could hope that he would stand by her, remain at her side, support her, do all that her Bane was meant to do. And if she hoped for more, for some semblance of love or adoration, well, she wasn’t going to admit it. Not here, not now. Perhaps she could play off her question as luring him into the Lord position in the Basin. Perhaps she could say that was all she meant.

But that all depended on his answer, now, didn’t it?

His orbs seemed to see right through her, to her very soul; she had never felt more bare than she did in that moment. If he saw her for who she really was, why didn’t he laugh in her face and leave? Why didn’t he crush the shrivel of hope that dared show its face, throw it to the winds, shut her permanently behind that unbreakable wall that had been sealed for so long? Had it been fear that had kept her innermost thoughts locked away? Would it be fear that would send them back now? Or anger? Or would he answer her summons with a promise and leave her battered mind to recuperate from this strange conversation?

”We can be great together,” he said, and he leaned into her side. Perhaps another fae would have allowed that soft sigh to slip from her lips, but the Empress remained silent, offering only a long blink of the eyes as a sign of relief. They did not have to answer the difficult questions today. Perhaps they would never have to answer them, though a small part of her longed for it to be laid out, plain and simple. At least then she would know – and wouldn’t the knowing be better? "I know,” she said simply. "We will be great together, you and I.” A pause. "I believe this means that I should call you Lord Mauja,” she teased, and there was a hint of playfulness that spoke of her relief, of her tightly controlled joy (if one could even call it that). But in the syllables of his name, there was no joke, only that indescribable emotion.

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

THE PLAGUE
Mauja
With his words, it was as if the pressure had suddenly gone down. The tension in the room returned to normal, like too full lungs breathing out. In relief? Perhaps. Mauja just felt as if a constricting talon around his heart and mind had just released its painful grip, and the muscle soothed its frantic pace. The blood which had been thrumming hotly, worriedly, through his veins calmed and cooled, and a peculiar sensation enveloped him. Somehow it was reminiscent of numbness, of not feeling, but at the same time, it was content, relaxed, knowing that he had avoided something which would have been terribly painful, even if it would've been necessary. He knew that it was his brain playing some stupid trickery on him, fooling himself, putting things off, but at the same time he felt so relieved. Despite knowing that this was a step down the right path he felt unsure, unwilling to commit fully, to just take a leap of faith down the dark, icy slope. To have done so would surely just have broken all his bones and left him a useless mess.

It was better they take it one step at a time, slowly, gently, cautiously. They were creatures with dark hearts, unused to this deep level of emotion — of commitment, loyalty, and devotion. Loyalty to a fellow soldier? A fellow commander? Second nature, to him. A personal bond?

"What the fuck", to him.

Aside from the bond to his children, a bond he could not refuse even if he tried, he'd never had the need to consult his feelings in such a way, and to avoid confronting everything he felt.. was very relieving. Psyche accepted his touch without even twitching, confirming his words, somehow settling that for now they were partners in crime, but who knew what the future would hold? Who knew what their newfound cooperation would bring about? He, at least, was totally clueless.

"Only if you'll have me, my lady," he said wryly, recalling a conversation in these very caves over a year ago. She'd not approved of being called a lady then, giving rise to the nickname Sir. A crooked smile curved his mouth, and he reached out to give her black mane a playful tug before skittering to the side, his hooves ringing loudly on the cavern floor after the long spaces of silence and charged topics. Something playful, something silly beyond doubt had taken up residence in his eyes, in his entire expression and body, and he hovered a few paces away, wondering if he could draw her into play, into retaliation.. or if she'd just scowl, and return to her serious self.

But the meetings, the decisions, of the day had been done. What was the harm in forgetting everything and just existing for a while?
BANE
Image Credit

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

The Dark Empress had been called many things. Frightening, for one. Evil. Cruel. Cold. Manipulative. If it had a negative connotation, she had probably been called it. All except one: socially awkward. Of course, she knew how to convince others to do her bidding. She knew how to get people to follow her. She knew how to hold a conversation. (Though, in all honesty, when was the last time that she had a conversation that wasn’t manipulative in some way? The last time she talked about something other than her racism?)

She did not make bonds, not of the personal variety. Her relationship with the Plague was one of a mother to children, a teacher to students. Truth be told, her relationship with the Plague was probably better than her relationship with her own flesh and blood. Gods knew that she never got along with any of her family before – why should her bond with Sno be any different? Regardless, her relationships, until now, had been strictly professional.

And so when the FrostHeart turned playful - truly playful, not in seduction or manipulation or any of those other wonderful things that the pair of them had found themselves privy to over their time together – the Empress froze.

She stared at him for a moment, not with superiority or disgust, but with confusion. How did one react to such a show? It was not the affectionate dance of lovers, it was not the angry assault of fighters – and those were, after all, the only ‘embraces’ she had come to know. The closest to a friendly bond she had come was destroying the family in the meadow that day – and while it was with Mauja, it had been the pair of them deeply entrenched in manipulation. This – this – this silliness was simply foreign to her.

And so as so often happens when one panics, she blurted the first words to come to mind: "What are you doing?” As though her words broke some kind of barrier, a smile danced across her maw. It was not particularly venomous, but there was something wicked in it all the same. "I thought we’d established that I am no lady.” The pressure of the tug on her mane still tingled along her nape, and she chuckled darkly, lowering her gaze to shield her eyes in what was generally considered a very feminine way. A dance forward, a light nip toward his chest before she sidestepped away, hoping to anticipate any retaliation on his part.

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

THE PLAGUE
Mauja
"What are you doing?” He could very well ask himself the same thing, and come up with no real answer. Playing? Since when had he done that? For a moment he teetered at the brink, and almost plunged back into the heavy darkness — he could feel the light fading, the feeling of weightlessness slowly fading.. as if the world itself became darker... But then she smiled, a curve of her lips, but nothing like he had ever seen her wear before. It was as if the masks had slipped from their faces and shattered like glass against the hard floor, leaving not the fragility, not the pain and the weakness, but leaving them free of the confines of their roles.

Come back to haunt them were her words from the past, and he felt a crooked grin tug at his lips when she lowered her eyes. While few ladies had ever courted him in such a fashion, he knew the way their lashes fell, how they peered up from beneath them, and felt his 'brows arch at the display. "No?" he asked wryly, and as she danced forward he withdrew a step, but not before her teeth had nipped his chest, leaving a faint tingle in their wake. Oddly enough it drew forth a laugh, something totally void of cold and power games. Just a laugh, and he clicked his teeth after her retreating body. "Tsk, you barbarian." He grinned at her, before dancing forward, his muzzle chasing her flank, but if she didn't dance away he'd just shove his nose into the crook of her hip and try to tickle her with breath and whiskers. He was no barbarian; he was a Lord, and as such, he'd treat her gentlemanly. Or.. something.

[ this was kind of short but he did not want to ramble about his emotions and thoughts. ;D ]
BANE
Image Credit

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

For moment, she was afraid that she had ruined the moment. Something in his gaze darkened and faded, as though the lightness of the moment was retreating behind that ever-present mask. But her voice seemed to draw it – him – out again, and the knowledge of that power made her almost gleeful. There was a strange freedom that seemed to permeate the air around them, an emotion that was so surreal and unknown to her that she felt as though she were in some alternate universe. It was not the same as her dream; she had felt bare, then, almost stripped of her ability to mask her feelings. But now she showed herself by choice. The difference was astounding.

That crooked grin bought one in return; her nip coaxed a carefree laugh from him. ”No,” she repeated, her tone teasing. She heard the clip of teeth as she danced out of reach, and her own laugh was almost a giggle. It was, perhaps, the oddest sound to ever come from her body. ”Only barbarians could live up here, Spots,” she informed him. His advance drew a playful squeal from her – or perhaps it was the gentle tickle of his whiskers as he pressed his nose against the tender flesh of her hip. His breath sent a chill up her spine, and the resulting chuckle was a bit breathy as a result. ”As long as I’m the queen barbarian, I suppose I’ll take the title.” There was something almost childish in her tone now, as though they were foals assigning roles for their newest game.

But this wasn’t a game. This was so much more.

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

THE PLAGUE
Mauja
And just as he plunged into the playful light, she followed him, just as their bodies followed one another in the dance. Lead, pursue, guide and chase — she drew away from his head and the click of teeth, repeating that she was no lady. His crooked grin grew lopsided. Perhaps she was right. Did fair, noble ladies know how to play with thugslords in the dark, icy caves? Did they know how to urge the body into a frenzy with gentle touches? Maybe, maybe not, and her chuckle was high, feminine even, and for a moment he felt like stopping where he was and gawking at her. Psyche, giggling? The world was growing madder and madder, but that was yesterday's news and he pushed his nose against her hip. Warm air rushed against her black skin, and then he inhaled, drawing in her scent deep into his lungs, into his mind. Strangely enough she didn't draw away, and he remained where he was, breathing against the crook of her flank.

"Well then, Queen Sir Barbarian," he said lightly, and aimed a mischievous nip for her thigh. "I suppose that makes me the Lord Barbarian.. a very spotty one, too." With a grin he moved, the flat of his shoulder against her warm flank, his blue eyes peering out from under his white forelock towards hers. Azzuen had once joked that said spots might be contagious. Snorting softly, Mauja let the memory fall back down into his mind, and reached out to stroke her shoulder much too lightly. "I would've thought a barbarian wouldn't look quite so well groomed, Sir..." His voice had dropped a notch, fading to an almost throaty murmur, and his blue gaze absently trailed the planes of her face as his maw hovered just beyond her shoulder.
BANE
Image Credit

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

Something simply had to be wrong with her. Here she was, in an ice-cold cave with an allegedly ice-cold King,frolicking like younglings in love for the first time. But if it were so wrong, then why was she enjoying it so much? All her life, she had done what was expected of her; she had taken her family's goals and values and made them her own, as any daughter of the great Riekahn should, and she did not regret the choices that she had made. But she had to wonder if perhaps she had become so consumed that she had missed other, more trivial things in life, such as friendship. The shadow-mare was not one to trust easily, and yet here she was, not for the first time placing her life at least partially in the FrostHeart's hooves. And she was not afraid - in fact, she was starting to think she liked it.

His touch was not electrifying, as so many described the touch of the males that they cared for. It did, perhaps, tingle slightly; of a certainty it was relaxing. That, in and of itself, was a foreign thing to the jackal - relaxation. Bah, humbug. Who needed relaxation when she should be preparing for the takeover of Helovia? And yet, here she stood, watching with a lazy smile on her maw as he moved to press his shoulder into her, to stretch his maw towards hers, a crooked grin and a joke on his lips. But there was something else there now, too, something that was not so easy to pinpoint as simply their friendship, their renewed (and stronger) alliance. The light touch against her shoulder made the taut skin twitch; some feeling that she would identify as fear, but would in actuality be some form of anticipation, reared its head again.

"Well, you know, Lord Spots Barbarian, others tend to have expectations of the ones who rule them," she reminded him in a faux-haughty whisper. The arrogant tone, though, was dispelled by the grin that revealed her joke, and hidden in the shadows of her words was an expression of the coiled emotions within her: the almost-but-not-quite-fear, the expectation of something more to come, for wasn't that was his throaty murmur had promised? She had twisted her head around so that she might keep eye contact with him, and she watched as his icy blue gaze shifted over the contours of her face. Did she look different, now? She certainly felt different. Lighter. Freer. Happier. And invincible. His maw came to hover beside her shoulder, stretching towards her, and she stretched her own muzzle toward him. The flexibility of her nape, twisted and stretched as it was, only allowed for so much movement, but if he remained stationary, she would manage to just brush the velvet of her nose against his.

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

THE PLAGUE
Mauja
Why did it feel like snakes were coiling around his limbs? As if the air grew charged, not with negative tension, but something else? Perhaps the reason his heart beat steadily, if fleet-footed in its pace, was the fact that he had unhinged his mind, disconnected, detached — detached from dreams and memories of white, forgetting about dreams to exist in the present, where he roamed with black wolves. Emotions were curious things, and for once, he'd rather let himself be filled up with them than pick them apart, scrutinize and analyze. Thinking would just hurt him, and his head, and this precious, fragile moment. Would it be so wrong, to simply enjoy life without a little thought? To drown the doubtful monsters and the pristine, snowy dreams? To simply reach out, grasp life, and live, even if only for a few minutes...

She was warm. It was like suddenly, acutely, becoming aware of that the body so close to his was real, alive, that blood moved through her veins with each beat of a heart he could not see. She was warm. She was near. She smelled, of horse and cold and female and Psyche, lingering traces of sun-sweat and the mineral smell of the Basin. With his muzzle so close to her shoulder.. he realized there was a sphere of air, just around her, which smelled so strongly of her he wondered why he hadn't really noticed it before. A deep breath was drawn in through flared nostrils. Her voice snapped him out of it, the arrogant tones not matching up with her grin; he gave her one of his own, a curl of his lips. "Expectations?" he rumbled, watching the skin of her neck fold intricately as it stretched on the other side before looking at her eyes. "Do you mean they would not follow you, if your mane was ruffled?"

Her soft, dark muzzle brushed against his, and for a moment he wished the moment would freeze there, forever, some obscure type of imperfect perfection, a knife in the heart and a skip of its beat. Warm breath streamed out of his nares in an exhalation, and when he inhaled again, it was the scent of her that filled his lungs and head. The light of her eyes was foreign, enticing, but he dared not look too long lest he lose himself, and drew forward half a step to tug at her dark locks. Her flank was against his shoulder, his barrel against her hip, and with each breath he could feel his body against hers. His breathing felt uneven all of a sudden, as if some strange emotion had swept through him; his muzzle rested almost against her neck. "I didn't know barbarians cared about good looks," he murmured.
BANE
Image Credit

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

Companionship was a figurative atrophy for the shadow-mare. What use was friendship when it was so easily severed? Why trust others when they would as soon put their knife in your back as look at you? There was no point to it, no reason to place your life – no, more than that, your happiness - in another’s hooves. Even if they did not betray you, any number of things could happen to them: they could die, they could be stolen, they could be tortured, and all of it simply to get at you, to hurt you. And it would hurt, she knew that now, the loss of something so precious would cause an unbearable amount of pain.

And yet these feelings were precisely what she felt for the FrostHeart. His presence, not only in the frigid caverns, but also in her life, was welcomed. His affections were desired – not in a romantic way, necessarily, but they were yearned for all the same. Even more than that, the shade wanted his attention, his approval - all things that one might want from a close friend, an ally. An ally. Since when had she stooped so low as to claim one of those? But here she was, her life becoming so closely intertwined with another that their ill-fitted relationships from past times seemed almost like a bad dream rather than reality.

And if she lost him? If she caused him pain?

No.

Life as she knew it had simply ceased to exist.

His grin brought another flutter of glee into her thoughts, and her own crooked smile remained rather firmly on her features. His question finished just before the touch began, so close that it almost seemed that her gesture had cut him off. His scent spilled through her nares and into her mind, intoxicating. A part of her wanted to close her eyes, to savor the moment, to preserve it in all its perfection in her mind forevermore; a larger part wanted to memorize every hair, every mark, every little imperfection on his hide. The larger part, winning the mental battle, allowed her amber gaze, oddly warm in the frozen caverns to dance over the features of his face, along his nape, drinking in every part of him that she could see. His question was forgotten as her orbs returned to his.

A gentle tug at her forelock brought a gentle shake of her head, as though to coax the locks into place again. She was aware, too aware of every place that their skin touched. Heat emanated from each contact point; a light tingle started and slowly spread throughout her body. It was so very easy to give in to this temptation, to this affection – why had she resisted for so long? Friendship, particularly with the Ice King, would not delay or eradicate her plans – in fact, he would help her. So why fight it? Why had she? His muzzle slowly traced a line up to her nape, hovering near enough that his breath again sent shivers down her spine. ”They aren’t all barbarians,” she whispered, his final statement reminding her of questions unanswered. ”Some of you need to be impressed.” She did not realize that she had substituted ‘you’ for ‘they’. An unconscious wish, perhaps?

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

THE PLAGUE
Mauja
Hawk-eyed, yet she seemed so soft. He'd once called her jackal-heart in a dream, and more times in his thoughts; a scavenger, small and tricky, heartless, backstabbing, thieving. And yet here she was, female and velvet to the touch. Her eyes seemed almost hungry, taking in every inch of him she could see. Normally, such close scrutiny made him uncomfortable, made him want to slide the mask in place and grow impassive.. and it was so tempting to slip into the glacial indifference, but instead he found himself tilting his head somewhat to the side.. not minding that she looked him over. In fact, it was rather.. flattering, in a way. Instead of shy away from it, he felt himself grow beneath it, pushing his neck up a little as his blue gaze met hers, steady now that she'd settled her uncharacteristically warm eyes upon his. Despite how foreign the look was on her face.. he certainly did not mind being able to bring it out.

So close... Without meaning to he drew another step forward as her quiet voice answered his questions, skin rubbing against skin. Her words seemed so loud in the empty cavern despite the whisper, and with a low hum he raised his 'brows, for a moment pulling his nose back from her dark neck. "'Us'?" he repeated in a teasing voice, shifting to press his cheek against her nape instead; one eye closed against the dark skin, the other open. "I didn't know there were more of me running around..." If he had been a dog, he would've lolled his tongue out in a playful grimace, but as it was, he was a horse. Mauja's one visible eye sparkled with light from within, too warm, too blue, to be the ice of his soul; the grin curling his lips was mischievous, and on a whim he pulled back again.

The air beside him, where his neck had laid against hers, felt much colder.. emptier. Here in this land of bitter winds and permafrost, warmth was a strange kind of treasure, and now that he had found it, he was loathe to part from it, least of all by his own free will. Yet he had to, his shoulder and flank still resting casually against hers; somehow, his expression had darkened, but not to something sinister or serious.. it had merely gone from the mindless, silly teasing to something else. "Impress me then," he said, flippantly almost, yet his glittering eyes held a challenge mirrored by his wicked smile.
BANE
Image Credit

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

Every minute detail of his touch was becoming something that was intricately branded into her mind. The simple brush of his nose against her nape was a plethora of sensations: the velvet down of the skin between his nostrils was felt even through the course dark hairs of her nape, the longer whiskers sprouting from the tender skin of his maw tickled her skin as they whisked ever-so-gently across her taut pelt. Under her gaze, the FrostHeart seemed to melt, but rather than shrinking, he grew, almost as though to live up to her unspoken expectations and desires. Something almost smug lurked beneath the warmth of his eyes, and she wondered if that satisfaction’s roots lay in her newfound freedom and affections.

An unintentional slip of the tongue left her breathless as he pulled away, but it would seem that he was as drawn to her for the time being as she to him, for the absence of his touch did not last long. A cheek was laid along her nape, one eye closed in relaxation, one peering at her thoughtfully from beneath a snow-colored forelock. It was odd, the stark contrast between the two of them, his light coat pressed against her dark, when she had never felt so close to another being, so… so similar. His words were joking, that much was clear from his tone and the spark in his orbs, but mixed into the humor was a genuine sense of possession. This, too, was foreign to the shadow-mare, and she wanted to dispel the thought that there were, perhaps, more of him

There is only you, she might have said, and the words were on the tip of her tongue as he pulled away from her again. The space between them was charged with energy, but his absence still left her cold, lonely, despite their still-touching bodies. He asked her to impress him, and in the three simple words that he spoke there was a challenge that she wasn’t sure that she could rise to. How was she to impress him? What could she do that he had not already seen, already experienced? How does one impress the object of one’s affections – the only object of any affection that one might feel? It has always been you, she amended her previous thought, but still the statement refused to part with her.

The moment was long as she regarded him with a shadowed half-smile on her face, a mysterious and previously unseen expression in her oddly heated gaze. They had been through much, the FrostHeart and the Dark Empress, but never before had she looked upon him with such desire, though she could not have explained precisely what she wanted from him. Partnership, for a certainty, but had she not already gotten that?

Did she want more?

What was more?

A joking pout settled on her features, set off by the sparkling amusement of her eyes. ”Well, I’m the Queen, aren’t you supposed to impress me?” she teased. But there was no pressure, no venom in her words to make them real, and instead of awaiting his response she reached out to tug playfully at his hanging mane. She grinned then, and tossed her head as though about to move away, about to start their dancing ritual about the cavern once more, but she seemed to think better of it. His warmth was impossible to resist, she found, and she settled herself. Taking a few steps backward, her hide skimmed lightly against his before she halted, pressing herself against him once more; she pushed her maw into the crook of his neck, the place where it met his jaw. The side of her head lay against his nape, against the coarse hairs of his mane, and she took a deep breath of him.

More.

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

THE PLAGUE
Mauja
He wasn't quite sure what he was asking for; his mind had ceased to function, allowing his gut to steer him where it willed. Whether by accident or not he'd allowed the fire to take root in his blood, a scalding, red-hot liquid in his veins, something which warmed his breath even as it steamed out into the frozen world. It was better this way, with no clear thoughts swirling in his mind, no guilt over his probe for information — did she have others? — as he had allowed himself to forget snowy white, for now. In the moment, it was only her, black velvet and her hot breath; one black and one white trapped in a frozen cave, yet the mere presence of her body made it seem not so frigid. With the cold air against his skin, the warmth of her was much more tangible, and the heat in his blood demanded he press against her, as if the mere touch of skin against skin could transfer the fire to her and merge them together.

Something happened, when he'd pulled back and spoken the lazy challenge. He'd expected something, some kind of reaction, a quip or a move, but instead she remained motionless, watching him with a half-smile he couldn't quite read. Despite the glint in her eye, he felt as if she hid something, something she didn't want to admit. He doubted it was fear, doubted it was uncertainty, but if he stopped to think of it.. how many times had she gone past flirting, cold-heartedly wrapping a stallion around her hoof and leaving him a wanting pawn, and into something else? Something more, genuine, and physical? Even their previous affair, what seemed like lifetimes ago when they were both different, had been a single thing, more out of politics than emotions; with the way she watched Tamlin, he had a feeling she'd been living celibate since Snö's conception.

And he hadn't.

And in all honesty, he was afraid of his challenge having shattered her, the moment, taken it too far, because he was not quite sure what he had asked of her, what he'd expected her to do. Their tongues had both been bound, neither quite speaking everything on their minds, and certainly not he for the anguish about white dreams — so what was he even doing? He didn't know.

A mock pout changed her face after what felt like a too long moment, and words slipped out of her mouth. Mauja chuckled, the sound huskier than usual. So she'd turned it back on him, and he caught himself in his own ill-devised challenge. Before he even had time to wonder what he'd meant, what he really wanted, she was moving, her dark maw tugging at his long mane with a grin. A half-formed neigh rumbled in his chest, and for a moment he thought she meant to dance away again, poised on the edge of flight, but then she was taking a few steps backwards, her dark flank rubbing against his white one. The friction sent a shiver down his spine, the nerves exploding in a tingle that made it quite hard to know precisely where she was.. where their bodies met. He could see her, though, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with him, her soft breath and whiskers tickling his throat and her horn spearing his vision in two. A low hum escaped him, tail flicking once to lash against her hocks, and thoughts of challenges and impressions faded from his mind as the touch of her body against his obliterated all else. His head turned, cradling hers, his plush nose seeking to rest against her; suddenly his pulse was roaring in his ears, and somewhere deep inside, some kind of expectation — anticipation — unfolded.
BANE
Image Credit

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

[OOC | Well, this is... rambly.]

Perhaps she ought to have been offended that he would insinuate that she had had others. Perhaps a more ladylike shade would have been, but she had never suffered from the same sentiments as most mares. Since their affair - gods, it seemed so long ago! - she had been with no other, not in the way that she had wished to be with him. Isn't that why she had left, after all? Because after all the politics subsided, she was left with the same unknowable emotions that coursed through her veins now, so many things that she hadn't the ability to name or understand. It had terrified her, then, hadn't it? It had sent her running for the hills, afraid that she was becoming weak, dependent, and she wouldn't - couldn't - do that, could she? And yet here she was now, freely giving herself to this stallion with the heart of ice, leaving herself to him to make or break her.

Should she hold it against him that he had given into his masculine imperfections, his unnecessary desires? Perhaps. But she could not bring herself to anger, could not hate him for those physical sensations that so many stallions sought out. It was in their natures, was it not? She had flirted with many, of course, offered herself for amusement but for no more. Had she secretly just been waiting for him all along?

Her lacking response seemed to leave him wanting, and for a moment she felt an awful crush of disappointment, though it may well have been imagined. She didn't know how to act, how to react. Flirtation was one thing, and it seemed to be a thing that the pair of them shared in very well. Whatever this was, this heated, passionate, hidden desire, she hadn't ever had any part of that. How did one indicate their interest at this stage? How did she return his affections? How could she tell her her feelings without really telling him? After all, although she would trust him with her life, she would not trust him with her emotions, least of all when she failed to understand them herself. Not when a surge of jealousy coursed through her as she remembered that he had been with another - or were there more than just the one of which she knew? Was it wrong that she wanted to be the only one?

Well, she had never truly cared for right or wrong, anyway.

She was possessive; she always had been. She had offered herself to the FrostHeart; he had returned her favor. That made him hers, in a way, didn't it? And didn't she had a right to him? Wasn't she the first? Didn't she deserve his loyalty, in more ways than on the battlefield?

The touch of his skin on hers sent tingles through her very core. Somehow all the questions, all the impossibilities, all the wrongness seemed to fade away, and she wondered briefly if they really needed to exist at all. Wouldn't it be easier to simply allow things to happen as they would? Did she really need answers? His half-neight sent shivers down her spine; he was sure to feel them, pressed together as they were. Impulse took over; she lifted her head, her maw gently brushing his ear. In her amber gaze was a look that was half-challenge, half-anticipation. "Impress me," she whispered huskily.

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits