the Rift

Bricks Aren't Good Conversationalists, So Let's Make a Wall [Leliel, AW]

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
 LAKOTA</style>
 my heart is a hollow place for the devil to dance again</style>

Ah yes, the twisted fogs of the Spectral Marsh.

Last Lakota had ventured into the murky depths, she'd gone face to face with a foul mouthed sexist unicorn that had tempted her into sinking her poisonous cloud into the depths of his lungs. It was also where she met the mare she'd dubbed Miss Perfect, Nadira. Really, Lakota was almost sickened by the fact she was nearly godly in appearance, because really who was she to go through life and come out of it like that? Lakota proudly wore her dark scarred knees and shoulders, the coldness of her visage. It was a badge of honor, a simple show of the rank she proudly took on as a soldier and a mercenary. She'd been a princess, and still looked pretty damn awesome, if she said so herself. Well, she didn't find herself attractive, she wasn't vain, but strength and wisdom was what she had to show through her experiences.

Beside her, innocence walked. They were an odd pair, truthfully. Lakota was not pure, in any other way than perhaps sexual- as awkward as that made her feel, because she didn't like feeling like a flustered filly- and Aodaun was still so very young and bright. At times, she felt like she was tainting him simply by becoming bonded with him. Yet, every time she thought such things, he would return with such pure love she nearly felt her tear ducts actually start to work for the first time in too many years. Of course they never came. Tears were for the weak, and never would mercury stain her dark cheeks if she could prevent it.

Of course, the cub could not wallow through muck far too deep for his tiny body. Kneeling good-naturedly, Kota prepared herself for a trip that wasn't often taken by the two of them. Growling happily the polar bear child clambered up her side and onto her back, settling on the snowy white of her spine that she childishly liked to think had birthed the start of need for a companion like him. It connected them. Claws pricked at dark blue-bled hide, and crimson spilled forth. Not much, but Lakota wouldn't have minded anyways. Though she had to walk much slower to ensure Ao wouldn't slip down her slim sides, it was actually nice to have his warm, fluffy frame against her. Aodaun fell asleep soon, the rocking of her steps lulling him off into dreamworld. With his weight no longer squirming, it was actually easier to carry him. A brief smile flickered over her face. Night had fallen, and yet she had found her hooves taking her deeper south until she'd arrived in the depths of the gnarled trees.

Sludge worked its way up her legs but hardly a second thought was spared to even recognizing it caking on her skin. It wasn't like she had anybody to impress. Dark whispers that weren't really enough to take form echoed in her ears, and tales of dead lurking in the marsh tickled at her brain. Did she fear death? In the end, no. However with the precious cargo upon her back, Lakota would not be so willing to go down. She had people to protect, a herd. It felt strange, to no longer be The Grey of the Deep Forest. Nomad was no longer a title to her name. Was it time for the cliche of settling down, starting a family? It made her skin itch to think of it. Ithrim had been her love so long ago, but she knew that his last wish could not go unheard. She was maternal, gruff and stoic as she was at times, but she feared not being able to do her duties. Yeah, Ktulu had achieved greatness even with a demigod within her belly, but Lakota was unsure if she even wanted to be that god awful stereotypical babymaker of a mare.

And seriously, why had her thoughts been so consumed with children? It had to be Phaedra and those twins, Hotaru and Raeden. Lakota adored being called Aunt Kota, loved those two little angels more than anything in her entire life. Except maybe Aodaun, of course. Hototo, as well, had grown on her despite no immediate interaction between the two. All around her, the mares she respected were spitting out little babies that squalled and squealed and made her want to coo over them in a fashion that was certainly not normal for her. Yet they never lost the bad ass feel that had them earning her respect. Oh Gods, if it was her age and instinct making her think of kids, she was literally going to rip out her own organs so that she couldn't have them at all.

Somehow she'd lost the trail, and the whispers were getting louder and more persistent. They knew she was lost. Lakota did not doubt magic and ghosts, spirits and otherworldly beings. It had existed in a place that felt worlds away, when she was naught but a thin little princess with cracked amethyst eyes and a broken heart whose cracks were filled with ice to stop the pain. Aodaun slept soundly, safely, upon her back. All around her the trees, the thick vines, seemed to sway closer until she saw no escape. Teeth grit when they tangled her legs and made her already lanky legs nearly trip. All around her it turned into a whirlpool of noise, ones she couldn't distinguish. Her sweet whined softly and twitched unhappily, and though her eyes were shards of glass that glowed beneath the light of the half moon, she whispered softly to him, words meant only for his ears. "Hush, Ao. They will not hurt us." Finally, when she had decided that her puzzle piece had been disturbed too much, a sharp snort escaped her nostrils and the fog of the Marsh suddenly became different, glowing with a light that wasn't found in the twisted swamp. Magic coursed, thudded, breathed around her. Whatever it was that made nature bend and sway to its will, it would regret crossing her. A small bubble kept them safe, and her poison worked through the air the plants so desperately needed. Kota smirked as she imagined the screaming of the souls around her, though she wasn't sure it was entirely her imagination. Helovia did strange things, sometimes, like the land was alive with more than just the Gods. When the mists cleared, receding with a buzz within her veins, the plants had wilted into near nothingness. The trees were blackened, as if burned, and the vines were nearly disintegrated due to their weaker nature. Triumph and even sadistic pleasure was evident in the devilish smirk on her beautiful face, sly like a vixen. She had the ability to heal, and to hurt. It sometimes made her feel conflicted, but when it came to her precious ones, death would always be the first order on her mind. Nothing would touch her bonded, not without her dying to protect him. Again she continued, finding the path once more and trudging on from the mass destruction she had caused, a large black ring of death all that remained of her anger and protective instincts.

Leliel Posts: 55
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 9
ali

LELIEL</style>
 Art by Blu
 Code by Boom Boom</style>

I dreamed last night for the first time in ages. Looking back on it I can't help but feel that it was strange to the very core. I was back in Janat, but I was different. I was no longer the color of deep night, but the color of dawn. A golden palomino, adorned with the reds and oranges of sunrise. No longer was I banished to the far reaches of the land, but welcomed among those who had once reviled me. I was no longer looked at as worthless, but was held with the same esteem that our gods had been held. My parents adored me, my brother respected me. Not only that, but I had someone to love. I still question why my dream self chose Muriel to be the object of my affections, nor why my subconscious chose for her to have a young foal dancing around her legs and her sides swollen with the weight of another of my children, but I felt happiness for the first time in years.

There was a sudden shift in scenery, the peaceful mountaintops were suddenly barren. The sky was no longer its typical blue dotted by fluffy white clouds. I was no longer the palomino that I had been, but the dark black and blue stallion that I've always been. All around me were the bodies of my family. My brother was nearest to me, his skull crushed and gore splattered across the rocks. My parents lay several paces away, their wings ripped from their bodies and their chests cracked open. The dream foal that had been dancing around Muriel, I now realized, hung limp from my jaws. I opened my mouth, allowing the dead foal to slip from my mouth and land on the ground silently. When I turned I saw Muriel, her eyes glazed over in death. All this destruction surrounded me and I knew that I had been the one to do it. I did not need to see my reflection, see the blood that covered my face and neck, nor the blood that coated my legs.

It was me. I had done it.

I woke with a start, sucking in a breath of air so fierce that it led to a hacking fit that lasted several minutes before I calmed myself. At that very moment I reflected on my dream, wondering why my subconscious was suddenly tormenting me with such vivid images of something that had never taken place and would never take place. The more I thought about it, however, the more upset I became and finally I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to get away and clear my head, so I leapt from the top mountaintop where the Heavenly Fields were perched and dove through the veil of fog that obscured it from below. My four wings snapped open, catching my plummeting body and stabilizing me as I flew to only the gods knew where.

Several hours passed before I finally angled my body down toward the ground. My forelegs extended and my wings spread wider to catch more resistance and slow my descent and soften my landing. I touched down, my legs automatically moving into a swift trot as my four wings folded against my sides. Ahead of me loomed a place that I had never ventured into before. A glance up at the sky was enough to know that I had flown longer than I had anticipated. The sun was already sinking below the horizon and despite my common sense telling me to go back and not go into this unknown place, I ignored it.

Boy, I wish I had listened to my common sense.

Whatever light was left in the sky was all but gone when I entered this unknown forest .. or marsh, judging from the way my hooves were being sucked into the mud. My advance stopped, head raised, and ears strained forward at the sound of sinister whispers. I've never truly known fear in my adult life but I imagine what I'm feeling now is pretty damn close to fear.

Another voice carries over the whispers, one that sounds distinctly feminine. Muriel? No. I shake my head and the vision of her lifeless dream body from my thoughts. "Hello?" I call into the fog that now begins to overtake the marsh. It crawls over my skin, making me shiver. "Who's out there?" My voice comes out stronger and a bit demanding, which helps me regain a little of my manly pride, but is still feel this niggling fear crawling up my spine.

Maybe I'm still dreaming I suddenly think.

Who knew that dreams could be so vivid?

NIGHT FALLS AND I'M ALONE.</style>

LAKOTA</style>
 my heart is a hollow place for the devil to dance again</style>

Aodaun stirred restlessly as the mists crept in, though the whispers did not follow it after her display of protective anger. Heat prickled uncomfortably at her skin, a faint but slowly, daily growing reminder of her own gender. It infuriated her more than anything else, as she wasn't one to care for the lust-ridden time of heat that gave way to so many children out of mated pairs. Was it bitterness that kept her from indulging in the feeling of such a natural process? That she could not have given it to Ithrim? Even if it was not to be intense for a few more days at least, Lakota dreaded it already. So instead she focused upon the whimpering of her babe, the only one she could care after like a mother. Even the silver light of the moon could not permeate the thick fogs that clung to her every curve. When her child whimpered she shifted her hips in a more exaggerated manner, in a way that was almost enticing had it been in any other situation. It was meant to rock and sway him, lull him into rest with a comforting motion. Comfort it did, for his whimpers and snuffles of agitation soon quieted. However it wasn't long until the mud sucking her legs down towards the earth prevented her from doing it in the same manner as it had started. Trying her hardest to keep up the soothing rhythm, she cast a quick gaze around before feeling heat flush her face. Softly she started to hum, little lullabies that Alleo used to sing to her when she was small and easily frightened. Back when her violet eyes had been just as large but filled with tears and misunderstandings, wondering what she had done wrong.

If you later asked her what songs she sang, which words fell slowly from her lips, she couldn't tell you. So many songs, so many memories that she could choose from, and all centered around that large comforting presence with the dark forest eyes. Every noise of discomfort faded away, and yet her voice wasn't the only one that echoed in the fog. Abruptly her own voice came to an end as another sang out, though not in melody as hers had. Feeling suddenly embarrassed over the fact that he- for it was a masculine voice that called out to her- could have heard her singing something so precious. Again he cried out, voice stronger than the first word he had uttered, and the lass turned towards the sound. Though she couldn't see him, she moved towards his voice regardless. "My name is Lakota," she called out in return, and the calm regal tone surprised even her. Had something so simple as an old song from the past given her this much comfort and familiarity with herself? Black legs, turned brown by muck, kept moving in the direction she believed he was. "What is your name?" she queried in return, wishing she could see him but knowing the glowing mists would only open to reveal him when it so desired. The Marsh was an awfully funny place.

Leliel Posts: 55
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 9
ali

LELIEL</style>
 Art by Blu
 Code by Boom Boom</style>

My blueblack ears strained forward trying to hear anything about the damned whispering that seemed to echo and increase steadily until it seemed almost deafening only to become nearly silent again. I was about to give up and chalk it up to a trick that this forsaken place had played on me when I heard her voice again. She was Lakota and she wanted to know who I was. I wracked my brain, trying to figure out if I'd met a mare in Helovia named Lakota that could be recreated in this weird dream, but there was none that I could think of. So who was she? Just some mare that my subconscious had created? Whoever or whatever she was, I finally decided. Dream or not at least I would have some form of company in such a strange place.

"I am Leliel." I finally call back to her as my hooves begin to carry me in the direction her voice had come from. I wish beyond all wishes that this damned fog would dissipate so I can see where the hell I'm going. For all I know I could walk off the edge of a cliff and be impaled on jagged rocks before I can even spread my wings and whisk myself away to safety. I've always heard that if you die in a dream that you die in the real world. As many times as I've contemplated suicide lately I'm not too keen on kicking the bucket just yet.

"Keep talking." I finally call out to the mare that I assume is just as blinded and lost in the fog as I am. "I can find you easier if you do." Not that I'm trying to be a knight in shining armor, that's far from the case. "This is just one place I don't care for being alone in, I suppose."

NIGHT FALLS AND I'M ALONE.</style>

Lakota
                     Her smile makes you wonder where she's been

Long stretch of silence reigned over the mists. Lakota cared not for how it obscured her vision, but had no true ill will towards the place. Many believed it haunted, a place to come only to die or to kill. These tales had never discouraged her even as a filly, and they would not when she was a grown adult. Places such as this held the true wonders of the world, and were often misunderstood as easily as people themselves. In fact there was something eery, almost magical about how their voices sounded to each other through the fog. It echoed, and yet sounded as if he was speaking from directly beside her. Shiver ran down her spine when he spoke once again, but it was not because of any passionate desire for his loins. Lakota made a face at that, ever hating those raunchy mares that swung their hind ends at any breathing piece of meat in the land. Both seemed to be turning towards the words they heard, and Lakota angled herself where his voice had been loudest. Leliel? Well wasn't that a tongue twister. She'd rather call him as she did most others, brat or bastard. Maybe something a bit more creative just for him.

What comes next is a request- it had better be a request or she'll kick his ass for demanding something from her- for her to keep talking in order to help him locate her. Or perhaps the other way around. Clearly that appeared to be too chivalrous for he hurried to complain about their surroundings, not that Lakota could pin that against him. "Shame, I'm not much of a talkative person. Either way I'm not fond of this fog myself, it's a bit of a pain in the ass." Was that enough talking for him? Lakota despised talking needlessly. If she had something to say, she said it. She wasn't one to gossip, or chat, or spew words from her maw like vomit where it wasn't needed. Already his form was slowly becoming a shadow in the mists and she headed towards it, not one to desire companionship that much but knowing two could make it out better than one. Was she lost? She didn't know and didn't care, knowing she would always find her way in the end.

Credits