the Rift

Feathers of the brightest colors (Closed)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
She had seemed rather enthused by my invitation, and though Africa didn’t know, it was surprising and warming to see that bright smile plastered across her face. Almost like I was her favorite person of the day. Far too often my meetings landed prickly mares that wouldn’t respond to kindness. The creatures of this world never ceased to amaze, if only everyone would spread a little joy then perhaps we would all get along. I sighed after hearing the edge of nerves striking her tone, it was common that newcomers had butterflies about making a good first impression.

Caring about impression was a sure sign that they held passion for life. Starting today she would become my new sister, a girl the herd hopefully could cherish as a prized member. The oath of a warrior was to protect every brother and sister as if they were of blood relation. It was that oath which bound my soul to desert sand, and it was that same oath which robbed me of time with Ktulu. Ah, but I couldn’t think of my dark mistress now; not with a grey mare filling the air with her interests that would bear fruit on both sides of this conversation.

The ashen lady mentioned learning more about magic. ‘Well’, I thought quietly, ‘you are certainly in the right place for that’. She answered my question, but also didn’t—or else was ignorant to the vast openness of magical abilities in this world. Instead on dwelling on things that could be settled later my feet shifted from her, suddenly I felt eager to get airborn and actually show her what words alone didn’t justify. Sun dipped wings widened to catch the warm breeze.

A radiant sun blazed brightly on our backs from above, it glistened off my feathers and with a few hearty beats I was skyborn. My smaller, compact frame allowed for easier lift than most. Fina snarled as I rose, angered by being forced awake with the movement of my body angling up. Her fiery wings spread wide in a show of light and color while talons dug deep within my flesh. Annoyed hissing was mostly ignored, I didn’t have time to deal with petty squabbling right now. Besides…she and I both knew her nap would resume once we leveled off.

Dark cranium twisted down while my lips curled into a playful grin, “To your new home then?” She would come to realize that this world was fleshed from the womb of magic, every corner, each sunrise basked in it. The wind fills my wings, I push them out, strong and smooth until this body twists into a warm southern wind and leads the way to a fresh start for a new friend.

I know it’s been mentioned before, but nothing can describe how good it feels to have the land rush beneath you and the wind tugging at your mane and tail. Woe to those that wouldn’t ever experience this thrilling ride. When your body is gliding powerfully along the heaven, it is hard to not feel strong, gracefully, sometimes even beautiful. Eventually our home can into sight, rolling dunes outlined with red sandstone and granules of color inbetween. I angle toward Africa, matching her wing beats so that we didn’t bump appendages on the down stroke. My voice rises above the whistling wind, “Welcome to Dragons Throat!”
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
drawing by Riven

i'm a spacebound rocket ship; and your heart's the moon

Perhaps a new light really did sweep across the young grey mare, or maybe it was the release of cascading sunshine as a large eagle swept across the stark expanse of vivid blue sky and his formidable shadow dulled the daylight for a split second. As she watched her golden-eyed brother unfurl the mass of sleek feathered wings, Africa felt an impatient giddiness rise through her body; the curious tickle of pins and needles caused by the onslaught of adrenaline through the network of her veins. She too opened her wingspan then, expanding them upwards as though each long quill would dip into the sun’s crimson halo, savouring the strangely wonderful sensation of trying stiffened, well worn muscles. Eagerly, her body followed suit stretching out the day’s inactivity, preparing for this certain mystery flight which would see the horses home.

Finally Midas lifted away. Africa rose into a half-rear where she balanced effortlessly across her taught hind legs, flapping steadily in the same moment, before she too hauled herself into the air. Quickly and efficiently she followed his altitude, wings beating powerfully as they pressed across the bridge of warm breeze- swoosh, swoosh. She smiled inwardly, still reeling with excitement, and now overcome with the sheer unavoidable ecstasy flight endowed. It was a pleasure indeed to wheel so high above the ground, at complete liberty and unrestrained in any way. She did not answer the black and white stallion with words when he spoke, instead nodding against the burst of wind against her face and dipping into a light-hearted, mid air bound as she caught up, beside him.

Her eyes closed to a protective squint as they turned southward, and she gazed down to view the blur of matchstick pines blending one forest with another (she of course knew not that they had already left the Threshold and were making haste high above the skirt of a different forest). The landscape was a marvellous patchwork of colours, and tilting her face right, Africa could see a snaking river cutting through a vast, golden meadow- yellowed and dry undoubtedly, by this harsh season. To the left, far in the distance she imagined she could see a deep blue expanse, ocean perhaps and she thought about the secrets this world held, how she would seek them out; she would learn quickly and adapt in the true spirit of her journey; she would thrive in Helovia.

~

She could not tell how much time had passed- it did not matter. The sweat had caked already across her dappled hide, and the rushing air had cooled Africa to a comfortable body temperature. They had been flying gently over a desolate desert like setting for some time, though the grey mare never seemed to tire of the myriad of changing colour combinations; reds shifting to orange, and then pale gold and red. Few trees broke the cycle, and those that did snag her relaxed attention span were almost naked and quite skeletal as they reached desperately towards her lofty perspective.

Midas’s direction altered slightly and Africa felt the change instinctually as they worked to alternate wing beats. Still she followed his lead and switched her eyes quickly to trace the words from his lips as the roaring wind dragged the hum of his voice with her flapping forelock past the careful recline of her ears. Her lips peeled back into a broad smile, square teeth drying the instant they were exposed, and Africa’s eyes fell once again, this time to soak up the extravagant detail of Dragons Throat. Watchfully the mare noted the more significant land-points- a steep rocky pinnacle there, a valley in the lolling dunes here; she made certain to remember. Fleetingly, the ignorant horse wondered how they were to survive in such a bleak habitat, but after passing a puzzled glance by Midas she was comforted to remember that he was in such fine form.

Soon enough, an oasis revealed itself, beginning as a rippling heat-haze on the horizon. As they neared however, Africa was delighted by the transformation of sand into a wide lake, surrounded by lush green grass and spatters of well nourished tree clusters. They began to descend towards the sanctuary and almost immediately, the mare was struck by choking heat, like a wall into which she had inadvertently flown. Her eyes closed, and it took moments for them to open properly and grow accustomed to the violent difference in heat; the dry, dead desert air which she had never before experienced. Automatically tears welled in the corners of her eyes making desperate attempt to rehydrate. As she pulled up in a flurry of hot air and flapping wings across a small well clipped grassy lawn, Africa quickly bent her neck to rub her eyes along an outstretch forelimb. “Wow...” she declared with a good sportsman like chuckle. “This is certainly a contrast to the forest.”

A F R I C A

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
Her bright eyes are full of excitement, a reaction that was most welcome. It was hard to describe the Throat in ways that people understood. Sure it was a desert, and sure it was hot; but there was so much more to our land. So much texture, change and beauty. The layers of this flower grew more wondrous as the user pealed back the spiny outer shell. In the distance our ocean lashed against a pure white shoreline, its salty water filling the air with familiar tastes that replaced the muggy humidity of a forest. The oasis sparkled in the distance, a personal sanctuary with plentiful grass and a cool crystal like lake that was pristine no matter the season.

Tropical trees littered the surrounding area, lined with beautiful flowers of every sort and color. Vines, and sea moss hung from less exotic species that I knew not the name for. Plus there was life a plenty, birds of vibrant colors more showy then even Fina. Lizards and desert snakes, mule deer, toads, fox’s and countless others. In a day one couldn’t span this area, explore the hidden tomes of our sandstone caves and wonder through the salt formations along the coast. No, this territory had to be lived in. My feet alight on soft summer annuals, the texture is bright and flourishing from our nearby water source. My cranium turns to regard our new sister who had just touched down.

“Wow….This is certainly a contrast to the forest.”

I grin at the obviousness of her statement, “It is,” I say in total agreement, “The heat is something that is more or less tolerated and not gotten used to. Nights are pleasant though, and less harsh then most other territories during Frostfall” My gaze turns toward the span of paradise ahead, “You’ll find water and food within this area, rest and refresh yourself; later we can talk about your position within the herd.” I only guessed that she was like the others, tired and ready to take a load off. My experience had noted only two who had been put to work right after arriving….working had been their preference of course.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

Africa drew a long steady breath, and the strangeness of thick, hot salty air drowned her lungs. It was alright though, tolerable, the young dapple grey thought quietly because this was home. Through thirsty eyes she captured her first true and thorough glimpse of the oasis. It seemed to her to be so surreal that life flourished when the surrounding environment was utterly ruthless. Standing fairly centrally in the little grassy verge between the sanctuary and the hot red sand, Africa noted curiously the untidy clusters of towering palms which cast long deep shade across the mesh of light grass. The sun was sinking slowly into the western horizon and Africa’s mouth clenched tightly around a rogue yawn, when it threatened to release a flood of tiredness into her still somewhat energized demeanour. It had been an electrifying day, and the grey Pegasus had ridden with each wave of emotion gallantly.

She glanced sidewards to Midas as the stallion grinned and agreed. Africa enjoyed his easy nature, and the warmth of his company; inwardly she sighed, disappointed that their meeting should cease. The young horse felt at peace, touched by the black and white stallion’s smooth confidence, and she was reassured by the almost paternal grace in his manner. He had unknowingly presented the fresh start she had dreamt about since she was very young, and Africa couldn’t help but exude her gratification. There was so much she craved to know, to learn.

She listened with intent, unwavering interest as her company guided her through basics which would see her comfortably through the first night in the Throat. She smiled gratefully, the nervous flutter still churning her stomach. Africa knew she couldn’t possibly eat, but for now that was irrelevant. The mare nodded appreciatively towards Midas, accepting obligingly that it was time to part ways for now. She took a furthering step towards the line of thin palms ahead, but stopped quickly again turning her head back coyly. “Thank you.” She grinned sincerely, well contented, and as she started forward again, Africa found a well worn goat track to guide her into the oasis.

[ooc: yuck, but :-D]

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING

Those that were saved much, are grateful much.

“Thank you.” She said.

A day well done, those two little words made our threshold adventure all worth it. My face swelled with content joy, she was going to stay—and hopefully become a sincere throatier. Her silver frame moves away, apparently Africa was going to take my advice and find a bed for the night. Those thoughts mirrored my own longing, honestly I yearned for sleep as well. Cera would be waiting for me, he always waited up. Though, before me and her part ways I added softly to the growing space between us, “Good night to you sister, may your dreams be peaceful and wings ever strong.” My father had spoken that phrase to newcomers; it was a sentence uttered by those of tender hearts.

“May your dreams be peaceful…” It echoed and I sighed.

How long had it been since I actually felt truly at peace? When had something not been breathing down my spine? Hate? Fear? I almost envied the sleep she would get tonight, it would be a protected rest. Free of demons that sought to do harm. Earth’s lords face flickers into my mind as a reminder of all the lessons that had been learned thus far. Forgiving a killer. Forgiving myself. I smile, turning away-- pushing these limbs onto a trail that would surely lead me home. Home was an old magnolia tree on the otherside of the oasis, Fina would have already arrived; Cera would be eating beside it. Those bright childlike emeralds ablaze with new stories to share. They were my family, but in a strange way—each of my clan brothers and sisters held a special spot in my heart. I loved them, just as I love my child, just as I loved family.

OOC: Midas exits