the Rift

Traveler Among Thistle [open]

Vy Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Vy
curious

Vy had traveled for what seemed like weeks. Trying to make her way back to the Aurora Basin, she had seen some interesting things on the way. The land here was very diverse. No rush compelled her to travel swiftly, she strolled through the dizzying array of lands here.

Blithely she meandered through the country side when she came to a meadow. Walking slowly, and with tender feet, she stepped out of the last of the mountains and into the flat expanse. It was a lush and beautiful place. A lush carpet lay before her, a nice contrast with that of the mountains. She waded through the vegetation and breathed in deeply, letting the beautiful flowers fill her to the brim. The violet almost matched that of her coat. A small smile began spreading across her face.

What a lovely place.

Purple flowers coalesced all around her. Walking towards a stream, the sun beamed down on her. Her small horn barely glowing in comparison to it's strong shine. The river reflected across her shiny, healthy coat.

I could rest here for the day, what a nice place. Indeed, it would be a perfect idea to settle here until tomorrow.

Though she wouldn't admit it, she was starting to long for company. She wasn't a particularly outgoing or socially dependent mare but the isolation was starting to get to her.

She lay down amongst the flowers in the shade and slowly lowered her head on a pillow of grass. It was such a peaceful place, and such a perfect day.

"."

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
drawing by Riven

i'm a spacebound rocket ship; and your heart's the moon

Africa had not ventured out of the Throat; her sanctuary of sorts, for nearly a week. The comfort and grace of her home was far more attractive than the terror that had befallen her, that very first (still vivid) expedition she had endeavoured to take through Helovia, all those days ago. Still, she was not a hermit at heart and even as she recovered in strength and courage, the young grey Pegasus felt the growing tickle of curiosity, stir within.

This time, she took flight during the brightest part of the day, considering with utmost certainty and care that it would allow her ample opportunity to learn the path she followed, and return home in complete safety- before the threat of nightfall (apparently horrors walked these lands, and Africa was not at all keen to encourage their encounter again, especially after dark). With new meticulousness, her pale creamy eyes sketched the lay of her home- beyond the oasis in particular, and still ever more intimately as she crossed the Throat’s desert border. She flew north, as high as her well adapted lungs would allow given that the air grew bitterly cold the further she climbed, and it thinned and became seemingly impossible to inhale. Never the less, the nervous horse felt at peace and secure, wrapped tightly in the clean blue blanket of sky- far more so than she would probably ever let herself feel on the ground, exposed, again.

She drew a long deep breath, savouring the crisp midday breeze as it gathered in a rush beneath the press of her flapping wings. Travelling swiftly and without hesitation, Africa let her eyes descend to the blending patchwork of landscape below. She was currently travelling above a grassland (she could not tell that the grass was quite high; enough to maybe shelter a horse completely), and quickly it gave way to strange red-brown loam. The sun glistened brightly far above her tilting head, and as she gazed down she saw that it seemed to reflect off many, perhaps hundreds of tiny matter (they were gemstones flickering happily in the sheer brilliance of Tallsun, but the mare was ignorant to this). Africa smiled quietly, suckered by the beauty and extravagance of what she saw, but the gesture was fleeting as she wheeled left dramatically and suddenly.

The earth seemed to open into a great gaping fissure- smoke curled upwards, even as high as she, and she coughed roughly at the charred taste that filled her nostrils. Anxiety began to leak from her throbbing heart and she swept away from the inferno, unsettled and not at all eager to find herself in a new brand of trouble. Midas, as wonderful as he was, would simply not be there every time strife found her; consciously she knew she had to learn quickly, and look out for herself if she were to be a successful Throat member. So she fled that unknown place, not quite ready to face its challenge yet.

Africa sailed still further, having switched her direction slightly west. A meadow, vast and clear for the most part came into view and the young grey horse imagined it to be rather bland- which was a good sign. A river sliced through its centre, and that is to where she descended. Hovering momentarily, with her large feathery wings fanning the flow of water powerfully beneath, she carefully inspected the surroundings. There was a spray of horses a small distance away; a couple of old, woody oak trees quenching their thirst at the water’s edge also, but Africa could see nothing significant, or nobody close by. Certainly nothing resembling that black and white thug, who had a giant horn sticking out of his ugly face. She shuddered and dropped, settling her hooves on the sandy bank of the river.

Treating herself to a sweet tasting drink, Africa ruffled her wings and tucked them gently against her rounded grey barrel. She turned then, her thirst more than quenched, before climbing up the gently shifting slope and into the long swishing grass of the meadow. Violet flowers danced lazily in the warm meander of the afternoon breeze and their prickly thistle cases snagged in the languid twitch of her tail. Quite suddenly, they grey mare happened upon the rump (and then body) of another horse collapsed on the ground, a strangely coloured one and she paused cautiously, her foreleg suspended in waiting. “Hello?” Came the nervous trickle of her voice, “I did not see you there, sorry.” Africa hoped that she hadn’t been a bother, waking them perhaps- but more so, that they weren’t preparing to leap up and savage her in any feral, ill-tempered manner. This was an accident after all, and the grey wasn’t quick witted enough to simply turn and vanish away into the swaying grass.

A F R I C A

Unregistered

Vy
curious

Vy, who was in a light slumber, was startled at the mare next to her. She jerked next to her and quickly turned to face her. Her eyes wide in astonishment at the grey being next to her. She hadn't expected that someone would have actually found her out here. It was so secluded, after all.

She jumped to her feet as quickly as she could and cocked her head to the side as she looked at the mare in front of her. A large mare of a beautiful grey color with large wings. Not only was she large but she also seemed solid, strong. Her eyes were a beautiful creamy brown. The mare looked at Vy with the same expression in which she gazed back with.

Both were benign and it grew apparent with the passing time through their demeanor. Just standing there neither took an aggressive stance, rather they were curious of the other.

"Hello? I did no see you there, sorry." A small, nervous voice came out of the strong mare. She seemed to be timid, not something one would expect out of this horse.

Curious. One shouldn't judge a book by it's cover I suppose... Having conversations with herself was a normal occurence. She trailed off and sprung back to what the mare had said to her, needing to respond.

"Hello. It's quite alright," she nodded once and proceeded, " they call me Vy. What do they call you?"

Patiently awaiting the mare's response she stood a few paces in front of her, leaning forward in anticipation of the answer that was to come. What a perfect day for a meeting.

[sorry for the short reply! I wanted to build more but I couldn't since I needed her response, haha.]

"."

Ayaka Posts: N/A
Unregistered

The scents of the windflowers drifted onto her pelt and pricked at her nose with delight. Her dainty paws gently tapped the earth with each rhythmic step. A warm smile came to her white lined lips as her fiery orbs gazed out into the rolling meadow. She had come here to just take her mind off of everything. The Thistle Meadow was always the perfect place to do that. With the soft sound of bees buzzing and the river flowing waving in the air and the sweet scent of the fresh vegetation always seemed to relax her.

The grass tickled the bottom of her paws and the warm air made the auburn she-wolf spread a smile across her face. The lively and fresh scent of the Thistle Meadow clung to her pelt mixing with the sandy scent of the Throat. Her eyes glanced at her belly that stirred with pups that she would soon be having. She could not wait for them. Her and her love, Lupus, would soon have pups of their own. The thought of the little fur balls running around the Throat made her smile.

The sight of two large figures came into the view of the sorrel colored she-wolf. Turing her maw in the direction of them, she advanced closer to the two horses. She wondered if they would be afraid or very unsure of her, like most of the others that she had met. Most that feared or was hesitant of her soon became her friend, such as Orinthia and Gaucho. They did not know what to think of her, but in the end they became friends. She hoped that the two that she was now approaching would see that she was not even close to being a threat.

She as she became closer to the two, she stopped and wagged her tail. This was a sign of no threat, right? A sweet smile was on her white maw and she opened her mouth it introduce herself, “Hello. I am Ayaka, Soldier of the Dragon’s Throat. Who are you two?” The wag in her tail still swiftly was going as she began to observe the two. The first one she looked at was the unicorn. The mare had a purple color with accents of magenta. She had never seen a purple horse before but she had to admit, it did look quite pretty. The horn that was placed on her forehead was very small, and made out of glass that seemed to faintly glow. She was very tall too. Ayaka could scent that this mare was from the Basin, where her love lived. It would be nice to meet another member from that herd.

The Pegasus mare that stood next to the unicorn was also very tall. Her coat was dappled gray and gradually turned into black on her legs. Her eyes were the lightest shade of brown and her face was light grey. The wings that were placed on the horse’s withers were like a storm cloud and black feathers were placed at the very bottom. She then took record of the scent of the mare. She, just like Ayaka, had the scent of the sandy dunes of the Throat. Her gaze glanced back from the unicorn to the pegasus as the sun casted its perfect warmth on her russet pelt.

"Talk talk talk talk."

Ayaka</style>
In blood and honor, we will prevail.</style>

image by gpabill @ flickr.com

Deceased
drawing by Riven

i'm a spacebound rocket ship; and your heart's the moon

A sudden puff of wind crossed the meadow and the long golden fronds of grass danced wildly to the inaudible rhythm of an oncoming seasonal shift. It tousled Africa’s long thick mane into loose tangles, which flapped languidly across her neck when the young grey mare lifted her face. It was a mare that lay before her, that much became apparent when she leapt with haste to her feet, startled perhaps just as much as Africa had been. The first thing that struck the grey after her company had found her feet was the small, see-through horn between her bright fuchsia eyes. Right then, nothing else seemed to matter. Her own pale brown eyes narrowed cautiously, observing the other as a whole, and her sinewy hide rippled as she stiffened defensively. She had learned that no good came from this sort; they were unpredictable and unreasonably savage. Africa took one step backwards, preparing herself, though her naturally sweet demeanour never swayed as she did so.

A few moments slipped idly between the two horses, each apparently assessing the other, and enough time lapsed that the young mare’s tingling nerves eased somewhat. The light purple horse (curiously), began to speak soon enough and Africa’s ears flickered forward, pausing to listen. A meek smile crept across her thin grey lips- Vy, it seemed, was rather more sociable than her obnoxious black and white brother (the grey mare presumed this relationship of course, much like she had been accepted as a sister amongst those Pegasus who dwelt in Dragons Throat- well Midas anyway). Finally, “I am Africa.” Came the softly murmured reply, the smile persistent and reassuring should Vy be genuine in her supposed warmth. Quickly and directly, the green mare added as though it held some relevance, “From Dragons Throat...”

Ordinarily, Africa was unfazed by the wildlife roaming through Helovia- there was an abundance of creatures to behold, just as there had been throughout her childhood in Nyorm. They neither scored her interest, nor did they strike panic. However, as she was standing face to face with the violet mare, a wolf strolled up to them, lost perhaps... or confused. The grey mare tilted her head away vigilantly as the canine paused to her right, and her dappled body followed quickly- though she never let her eyes stray from the unnervingly close proximity of the predator. A bewildered snort burst through her flared nostrils, as the animal’s wagging tail snatched her attention. Africa looked to the other horse helplessly, completely unsure of the situation unfolding and moved from the space engulfing the wolf to (hide) stand aside Vy. At least, if there was any strain simmering between the two horses, the arrival of this creature was a great distraction, and Africa soon forgot her apprehension.

Africa stared astonished, fidgeting on the spot uncomfortably when the wolf smiled sincerely before introducing herself- she could not help as her gaping eyes trained on the lash of crimson tongue against two rows of jagged, unfriendly looking teeth.

“Wait, you are from the Throat?” Africa blurted ignorantly, and not by any means in a rude fashion, almost immediately after Ayaka had finished. She shook her head lightly as though it might clear the confusion, or sort the information she had received into some rational order. “You’re a... wolf?” She continued loosely, the inexperience shining like sunlight on a pond through her searching, disbelieving eyes. Indeed Africa had not long lived in that oasis in the desert, but it seemed to her to be unrealistic that a wolf would share her home- her family. Despite her very obvious disorientation, the young horse smiled thoughtfully and lowered her whiskered muzzle to scent the wolf’s long coffee coat- sure enough, that thick dry dust was carried there, and the young horse was more than amazed.

Open your mind! her mother had said so many times (though it seemed so long ago now, like only a dream in her memory), and perhaps she was starting to understand, piece by piece, the magical tales delicately- but so deliberately woven through her imagination. “I am Africa she beamed- and this is Vy, my friend.” She turned to the other horse with shining eyes, expecting wholly to catch the same wonder radiating.

A F R I C A

Unregistered

Vy
curious

The grey mare buckled when Vy stood and she hadn't a clue why. The opposing mare's eyes closed into slits and she leaned slightly forward with her head to the side. Poor Vy was very confused, she couldn't fathom what the mare was judging her for. Her stance hadn't changed. She simply stood there waiting for her to speak. The tension hung in the air for more than a few moments, the new mare having some kind of preconceived notion of Vy. Suddenly the light purple mare even became the least bit self-conscious about how she looked. Could it be her pelt? Her markings? Something about how she looked set this mare off.

How strange that someone should react so differently when one part of the situation becomes clear. No change, just realization. Maybe I'm the odd one. Could it be that I'm the only one different? That's plausible as well...how would I know if I'm different? I haven't anything to compare myself to. The words curled around her lips, and softly emanated around her delicate face. Though they were spoken softly and under her breath, they were still audible. More than anything they were a kind of insight into what she was thinking. Her thoughts were open, free.

"I am Africa." The mare finally spoke. Her voice was soft as well though it projected more through the crisp air of midday. She smiled, seeming to want to be civil despite whatever happened only moments before. She brushed that off, it could have been misinterpreted. Then the mare, Africa, spoke additionally, "From Dragons Throat..." She trailed off and looked expectantly at Vy for her reaction and, more importantly, her reply.

Not knowing anything of the lands here, she was completely oblivious to the weight that those words carried. Face stagnant, staring back at the solid grey mare just as much before, she replied, "I come from the Basin." Figuring that that's what she wanted to hear, that's the best that she could do.

Then, through the swaying grasses, something much smaller than both of them with much more hair, or fur rather, waded through. It was making it's way towards them both. Whatever tension that was between the two mares now dissipated. Africa walked hurriedly to stand beside Vy, touching her barrel. Vy was taller than Africa though not as heavily built. The slender mare stood unchangingly as the creature neared.

Getting closer and closer, Vy squinted to try and make sense of what it was. The sun reflected on the field and back into her eyes, making it almost too bright to see. The grass parted and a path from where it ventured from was evident. It seemed to be quite heavy for such a small thing. Finally it reached a few paces away from them. A...wolf? Vy didn't know any better and assumed that there were more like this one, so the fact that there was a wolf in their midst didn't surprise her in the least.

Africa crouched beside her, making herself as small as possible. This was quite laughable considering Vy was substantially thinner than her and it would have been impossible for her to be completely hidden. The wolf wagged it's tail and Vy realized why it was so large for it's size. It wasn't an it, it was a she, and she was pregnant. It seemed that she was close to having pups as well. Why would an expecting mother be doing by herself wandering about? The mother looked pleasant enough. Vy nodded at her in approval. Then she introduced herself, "Hello. I am Ayaka, Soldier of the Dragon's Throat. Who are you two?" She gazed playfully from Vy to the shape of Africa beside her. Africa fidgeted beside her, uneasy by the canine in front of them both.

After realizing what the expecting mother had said, Vy wasn't sure which part was significant as of yet, she asked, "Wait, you're from the Throat? You're a...wolf." She seemed astonished.

Vy stared back at the wolf, Ayaka, for a response. Her beautiful copper coat gleamed in the sun. Fine sand was woven throughout the lower part of her stomach and feet, accentuating the red that was naturally placed there. Ayaka really was a gorgeous wolf.

In the thick grass and bright sun, Vy awaited both of their reactions. And Africa spoke again, "I am Africa, and this is Vy. My friend." Africa turned to Vy with wonder-lit eyes. The thin mare was surprised at the words Africa had used to describe them. Was it because she was afraid of the wolf and wanted to seem bigger as a team? Or was it because she genuinely wanted to be friends with Vy and sensed that she was no threat? Either way, the feelings between them were positive and that was good enough for her.

"."

Deceased
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

Soon (and quite abruptly) the wolf took her leave, and Africa turned on the spot, swinging gracefully away from her company so that they might speak face to face again. “Just passing through I guess...” She shrugged simply, brushing Ayaka’s presence as a flying visit. Africa’s laughed lightly as she held her violet friend in focus. They were relatively the same in height, maybe the other mare’s withers rose slightly more but it seemed close enough the dapple grey thought privately. Her pale eyes watched Vy optimistically, and without judgement, but she could not help but find her curiosity drawn to the small pointed spike which glowed in the centre of her forehead.

“I met a horse with a horn only a few days back...” The young naive mare was still at a loss as to what the horn represented- her wings obviously gave the blessing of flight. She continued after pausing thoughtfully, smiling. “He was most horrendous in character. I was startled when I first noticed... Well you know.” Her words softened towards the end and she dipped her white face discomfited. Africa had hoped to reveal why her first impression might perhaps have been negative, but Vy was not like the black and white stallion, in actual fact the Pegasus thought her to be quite the opposite- refreshingly. “You said you were from a Basin?” She attempted to resume where she imagined they had left off. Africa was still quite ignorant to other kingdoms, cults and the like. Never had she heard of the place Vy referred to but with the keen desire to learn about and understand Helovia in its entirety, she hoped the other mare might elaborate.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Unregistered

Vy
curious

"Just passing through I guess..." The words rolled off of Africa's lips as she stared after the Wolf. Just as quickly as the mood changed when the canine had appeared, it was restored. The grey mare moved from beside Vy to face her. Standing in front of her now, Vy looked deeply into her eyes. She did have beautiful eyes, a creamy beige color.

The wings on her back were folded underneath her and, although Vy hadn't experienced horses with wings before, she wasn't scared. An inquisitive one as Vy was, she loved anything different. The mare didn't seem so accepting of her horn. Her eyes were fixed on the center of her head. Glowing as it always was, the small horn was as plain as day on her face. The contrast between her coat and the horn brought it out even more, though it failed in comparison to the bright sun that shed light on everything around them.

"I met a horse with a horn only a few days back... He was most horrendous in character. I was startled when I first noticed... Well you know." Her gaze fell and shifted her weight. She almost seemed ashamed, though she need not be. Only a moment had passed before her head rose, "You said you were from a Basin?"

"Yes, I'm from the Aurora Basin. It's north of here. Far north." Vy's eyes were locked with Africa's. The sun was above them now, beaming down with great intensity. A light breeze whipped around them and the thistle swayed at their feet. Purple flowers moving to and fro everywhere, dancing.

A couple of birds flew above them, playfully circling around each other and chirping. The whole scene was calming. Time moved a bit slower here, urgency didn't exist. It was nice. Or, it was nice for now.

"."

Deceased

Look down
Look up

The sun was poised at the pinnacle of its journey; shedding a warm rich glow across the vastly exposed meadow. As autumn shrouded Helovia’s middle region in cool, crisp days, Africa found solace in the open, basking for hours in the soaking heat of the sunlight. Today was no different, and while the young horse relaxed into the cordiality of her conversation with Vy, her ears danced constantly, scanning the long swishing grass for the unexpected movement of an interloper. Despite the wariness clouding her mind, her eyes glistened earnestly, considerate and attuned as her company replied. “Yes, I'm from the Aurora Basin. It's north of here. Far north.

North... the word nudged the still fresh bruise in her memory- She had become lost searching for the forest where fresh faces linger in hopes of finding placement and belonging; they were new to Helovia. The rushing wind, no matter how wonderful, had tempted the whisk of her wings too far, and she had stumbled through thick fog onto a field; high, where the air was thin and wickedly cold. Another had rattled up the mountain trail behind her, threatening her for a feather and possibly her life! Africa shuddered internally, though her facade did not betray the worry of her thoughts. Midas had come only in the nick of time, and strange clothing had wrapped itself around him... She remembered the collar which draped around the base of his throat; remembered how she had missed it when she had first laid eyes upon him, so long ago. Apparently it held great significance, though such magic still perplexed the simpleness of her mind, and she blinked through the mist obscuring her attention. Vigilantly, Africa maintained her composure, though she naturally imagined the Basin in question to be much like that stark, wretched field.

Vy’s gaze seemed intense, and Africa was ensnared those eyes' strangely, humbling beauty. They were glossed with sunlit magenta, mesmerising; or perhaps it was the lazy breeze which lulled her into a contented yawn. “I see...” She said quietly, switching her eyes between her friend’s- well hopefully. “Dragons Throat is virtually the opposite!” The grey contributed cheerfully, smiling, “Do you come here often? I would very much like to see you again sometime.” Africa wasn’t exactly rushing the conclusion of their meeting, but she fancied the horned mare’s company, and there were so few that she knew in Helovia as it were.

Unregistered

Vy
curious

"I see... Dragons Throat is virtually the opposite. Do you come here often? I would very much like to see you again sometime."

Vy stared back at the large grey mare and nodded. After a few seconds had passed her lips curled around a soft but sincere answer. "I think I will return here in the future, yes. I would like to see you again someday as well." With that, she was done. She turned slowly around, looking at the mare all the while, and started to slowly make her way back to her new "home." The concept of home wasn't instilled in her just yet. It was strange to think that there was only one place that she would reside in. Her concept of land and living was slightly skewed from before where she lived wherever she pleased whenever she wanted to do so.

The sun was only slightly lower in the sky than it had been when they first met. The short encounter lifted her spirits though. No longer lonely and ready to start the journey back, she was ready.

With her back to the mare, she swung her head around to face her once more. With her head tilted, she smiled and then started to slowly walk off. The thistle swayed behind her as she descended into the forest behind them.

[Sorry for the super late post! I didn't see that you replied until just now! Ahhh! D: ]

"."

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Cautious, but ever the more intrigued by the alien race of horned horses, young Africa sought to discover more about their strange culture. In retrospect, her deliberately sheltered and privileged upbringing had achieved naught but to act as fodder for her naturally curious character. Before Helovia, the naive grey was under the manipulated impression that Pegasus were the prime race- in some respects that theory remained untouched; and when confronted in the weeks just passed by both unfortunately, and apparently deformed horned horses and those who lacked any embellishments altogether, she had been quite taken aback. That was not to say Africa was intentionally chauvinistic or racist, it was just the manner in which she had been educated.

Her fascinated, thoughtful gaze held Vy patiently within its pale glow as the lavender toned mare nodded in short, before offering her answer, and a rather blunt conclusion to the conversation. "I think I will return here in the future, yes. I would like to see you again someday as well." Although Africa was pleased to know the sentiment was fairly mutual, she had rather expected to remain a little longer, perhaps even to dabble a little in Vy’s lifestyle- to probe in actual fact, because the young Pegasus could not help her inquisitiveness. It was not to be though on this occasion.

Before Africa could retaliate, reaffirm the progress of any sort of relationship or even simply express her delight, the other horse turned across her spindly hocks and commenced her departure- to the Basin Africa presumed, quickly squeezing in a blithe “Good bye Vy”, before she too turned. Pausing to remember the short exchange, she smiled credulously, certain that they would indeed find each other’s company again soon. With a positive spring to her naturally elongated stride, Africa moved back towards the stream to refresh herself quickly before the flight home.

[ooc: no problems ;)]