the Rift

[OPEN] Undisclosed Desires

Chernobyl Posts: 134
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: Nine | Tallsun HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Psilo
[Image: 50c3cfe45dfd7]

Chernobyl

So many shadows moved along the swells of the land as if they had always been there, had resided within the darkness far before it had been called Helovia and learned to exist around the creatures that walked in its reality. Even when the little Valkyrie sought to expand her parameters beyond the little niche that she had come to call her home within a home, there was still an old magic that pulled at her dead feelings. Had it really been so long since she felt that her heart had ripped from her breast in favor of serving a mother that had done more harm than good? Whatever emotions that existed in the wretch’s wake were still dormant inside, only stirring occasionally when anger or curiosity seemed to take the forefront of Chernobyl’s mundane existence.

The tall figures of the forest rose high above her as she moved beneath their distant gaze. They were the only creatures that knew all there was to know. They had seen war, dealt with the bloodshed, harbored the dead, and lived to tell the tale… What kind of answers could they offer to the creature that enjoyed predicting death? She liked to believe that a soul existed somewhere within the barren caverns of her mind, but morals were not something that she thought important. How could she? What form of decency had been shown to her in her youth? As she could recall, there had been none and now none would ever be found.

In all the Valkyrie’s glory, she was not much to look upon these days. Perhaps she never had been, but part of her believed that with such a brusque personality came the endearing features of one who was mildly appealing in the very least. Cold, depthless eyes scoured the path before her as if there was intent behind her movements, but of course there was nothing other than a mere darkness and sense of eternal loss. She had thinned considerably since the arrival of TallSun and her gauntness was eye catching enough even if nothing else seemed to stand out from such plain attributes.

One day she would seize the moment to rise from her lack of purpose but until then, she thrived only on the common wars being waged amongst every creature residing in the Basin. She hoped that they were smart enough to recognize that they were only moving backward, if even moving at all. There was no uprising in their midst and if there were, there was a chance that she would come to life, finally able to feed on the greed and disaster of those that seemed to rot around her.

But oh, I'm staring at the mess I made
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

crushed and filled with all I found
underneath and inside, just to come around
more, give me more, give me more

pixel is by RELI<3

• Feel free to magic on her, but no murder.

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
THE PLAGUE
Snö
Snö was tired. The days had been long, and irregular, filled with her moving out and searching futilely in reconnaissance, for signs of those who may be missing or in need, those advancing on the borders, and generally doing her duties as a spy. Spy. How she detested the slippery usage of that word, especially now that she was one of the weak phantoms. Snö coveted, yearned, hungered to become the warrior she was meant to be, instead of serving as a faded shadow that roamed far and wide. Of course, the varnish could well appreciate the intricacies of war, how phantoms had their uses, and were oftentimes sent out to gain vital information- but that didn't mean she enjoyed the position she entered. Even with the bonus of having prisoners to use, she felt more trapped than ever, even though she had more freedom if anything.

Unfortunately, the ugly feeling raising within her did not settle, but instead clawed at her insides with a monstrous fury, threatening to send her over into ever more frequent bouts of cruelty and atrocious actions. Her stomach twisted and writhed violently, her temper shorter than ever, every word was gritty and cold, coming from carefree lips. With everything she said, with every step she took, Snö was incredibly conscious that one wrong move could send the Plague into fame, a turn that would only go for the worse. So the stubborn, conceited mare took to staying alone, with only her faithful companion Tarak. When she spoke, she wasted no words and did not spend time on idle conversations better spent in company of those aware of the Plague, or patrolling.

It was only briefly after she returned to the Basin from her last roaming into the wilderness, where she found the lady Valka and attempt to capture Valentine. Soon she would leave again, scouting out the Edge and trailing around the boundaries of other lands, hoping for word of this and that, rumors and gossip that came from open-mouthed inferiors. It was a day like any other, and Snö steadfastly ignored the sun and the clouds, instead planning out routes and wondering about this and that, if she should check on the other herdlands and if so, should she talk to Faelene, or was it her duty as a phantom and would that be accepted... Snö snorted, flicking her tail in annoyance. Never before had she really answered to any particular authority, even the leaders, without the most basic of respect they called for. Mauja still held greater importance in her eyes, but Psyche? Faelene? The black and red mare had proved nothing to her. In fact, Snö had not even spoken to her about her choice of career- at least in this herd. She could happily move out alone, and do what she willed, instead of waiting for boring commands. Without talking to the Thief, she would have independence, and nothing wrong could come from a freelance.

Distracted as she was, Snö was not oblivious to her surroundings. She took note of the scent drifting in the air, vaguely familiar- one of the Plague she had not met? The varnish moved, light-footed, towards the dark shape in the forest, appearing like the wraith she was training (however unwontedly) to be. "Who are you?" Snö asked, with a snap in her voice that portrayed... her, in everything, very well.
SPY
Image Credit

Psilo

Chernobyl

My heart is aching and I’m down on the bend
My will is weak and I’m falling again
I get back up and try to make things right
If you just stay here tonight

Her cool gaze was telling enough in spite of the way she leaned back onto her haunches as if she were ready to doze off at any second. The white filly obviously had no idea what an introduction was supposed to sound like. However, Chernobyl wasn’t one to reprimand ignorant children and so she simply smiled at the youth while adding quietly, “Chernobyl.” She didn’t say much else in response and instead settled in to gaze at the girl expectantly. Whatever she had come looking for, the Valkyrie had no intentions of providing; did she require supervision to wander the Basin or was she just too stupid to understand that it was best to let bygones be bygones.

When the other didn’t leave, Chernobyl thought it best to turn heels and walk away herself, hoping to lose her pest along the way. After all, what good would it do her to request the company of a little shadow that certainly had no intentions of becoming friends with anyone other than herself… and maybe Psyche.

Though, thinking of the DarkEmpress made Chernobyl rethink her choice to leave the nameless child behind. She paused, gritting her teeth as she turned back to plaster a reluctant smile to her charred lips. Her voice had been trained carefully as she called out once more into the darkness. “Come along no-name, I suppose I could use a bit of company these days.” Waiting momentarily for the other to come alongside her, she dipped her slender face to the stone floor to catch a low hanging limb from their path. When she released it, she resurfaced with a small leaf in tow. Somehow her plan would come together and all she needed was for this little twit to fall for it.
image credits
table by whit

pixel is by RELI<3

Valka Posts: 32
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 3
tay
Voices filtered through the trees: a murmur like the wind at first, but low and broken. Valka’s ears pitched forward as she moved. Her toes skimmed short blades of grass as long legs turned deftly, languidly, beneath her. Home at last, and yet… An empty place, thought Valka. The mountains reared high and barren above, thrusting their white faces to the sky, and in their shadow… how many unicorns, exactly? Her father enjoyed solitude, Valka knew. Then was it only she who longed for company? For voices warm but clipped with brusque intelligence? The young mare turned to gaze with quiet eyes in the direction of the noise: a twig snapped here, the rustle of leaves. Unicorns? Wolves? Something else? She promised to step on it if the disturbance proved small.

Smoothly, then, she moved toward the sound – now the even distance of hooves on turf. She recognized that noise; lifted her head and blinked her mismatched eyes. Something pale hovered between the trunks – Snö! Valka recognized the color of rust lingering on the edges of Snö’s pallid hide. Gait lifted to a trot, Valka closed the distance between them rapidly and only when she drew close noticed the other shape: a dark unicorn, like one of the shadows themselves, standing some distance away. The horn rising above the black mare’s brow glinted with barbs like cancerous growths. For a moment Valka hesitated, silent, head up and cool eyes examining the stranger with a look of concern. Another of the Basin herd? At last? And dangerous, if looks meant anything. ”Hail,” Valka said at last, a little breathless. This other mare was small and yet… everyone within this place moved with such poise. Valka felt overlarge and clumsy once again. She drew her feet together and flicked her bicolored tail.

”It is good to see you once more, Snö,” she greeted the mare she knew first. The other lingered still some distance off and Valka wondered what they meant to do, and what was going on. Were they not friends? They did not stand together as Mauja had done. One ear flicking to betray confusion, Valka nodded and glanced at the other. ”Is this also one of our herd?” she wondered aloud. She spoke as if the other mare did not exist, but Valka watched the dark shape closely – marveling. Then, abruptly, her gaze snapped back to Snö, prepared to move if Snö moved, prepared to follow them wherever they were going – if, indeed, they were going anywhere.

stock credit: elaineselenstock.deviantart.com | hellofascination1991.deviantart.com | burtn.deviantart.com

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
THE PLAGUE
Snö
Snö did not offer her name and the silence dragged on, taffy being pulled to its greatest extent, fiddling and twisting, spinning sugary tendrils, but never did it quite snap. Her slim, delicate ears flick and twist, catching sound of another's voice, this time familiar, quiet and slightly breathless and so rather naive to this world. Yes, Snö remembered her, the black gazelle, for her particular wonder of this land, curiosity of everything. The white lady, as she considers herself so wonderfully refined and elegant, blinks slowly, extravagantly so, and hides a sigh. Sometimes she has to wonder if the clinging black unicorn is even capable of being independent. The little red monster pulsing inside her, pushing against her skin, looking to worm its way out, pushes harder against her sides, nearly sending her to burst with its rage and impatience at this world, almost tipping her over to snap into angry words and hard eyes. Valka did not deserve the cruelty however, and so Snö inhales sharply, doing her best to contain the anger.

Hiding this close-to-surface impatience, Snö tips a graceful smile towards Valka, as arrogant and beautiful as ever. "Hello, friend. Have you enjoyed your time in the Basin?" Snö hadn't seen her about much- Valka had simply been blending into the background, hardly able to be plucked out among all the other indistinct unicorns of the snowscape. Valka proceeds on to ask a question, and Snö winces tenderly at the question. Did she really think that Snö would be letting a trespasser stand here without complaint or a fight? Or that Snö would not call for a back-up party? The varnish gritted her teeth, pushing down the snarling rage inside her. "Valka, do you think this mare would smell of Basin if she was an outsider?" Snö growled softly.

Her ears pricked at Chernobyl's sarcasm as she began to move away. "C'mon Valka, let's see where this pert girl is going." Snö sighed, picking up a trot after the strange-horned mare, wondering mildly where she was going.
SPY
Image Credit

Psilo

Chernobyl

My heart is aching and I’m down on the bend
My will is weak and I’m falling again
I get back up and try to make things right
If you just stay here tonight

Quietly, the mare watches, twisting a curious ear to the footfall of another. Intrigue replaces whatever sense of irritation that formerly possessed the matron and her lips quirk slightly in greeting. The new prospect in question murmurs quietly to the alabaster child and recognition seems to spark between them. Chernobyl pauses in her descent to study the pair and while she is reluctant to have them follow, she chokes on the dismissal lurking vehemently behind her dark lips.

As black eyes narrow on the two youngsters, the matron notes a slight quiver in the white’s smooth veneer. It is fleeting in spite of her careful composure but it is certainly there. Another smug smile lifts the corners of her mouth and she nods quickly at the two. Suddenly she is no longer the only surviving source of tension and amongst the three and for that she is glad. Though, it does little for her opinion of the nameless child that assumes authority because of some self-proclaimed righteousness. She sneers in spite of herself and then turns to continue along her path through the shadows.

These specimens are clearly Basin-bred and Chernobyl cannot help but think of the warmth she experiences with Murdock. She ponders the lightness about him as she listens quietly to the youngsters indulging in flippant gossip in her wake. His touch, his scent, his smile… it all brings an irrevocable sense of happiness to her heart and she wonders if she has ever felt so at home with anyone. Again, her thoughts stray to the “Unicorns” trailing after her. They do not know of her, do not wish to know her and yet she continues to call them… what? Family? Her heart drops with the word and suddenly her chest feels constricted.

But she continues to play their game, an ever diligent pledge to their hopeless cause.

As she draws to the end of her path, she veers left and beneath an overhang of low branches. Their limbs lean low and claw gently along her back as she passes. Turning to glance back at her retinue, her smile broadens with invitation; it feels strange upon her lips but she forces herself to remain passive. Just ahead a small stream bustles by and the clean fragrance of its ascent draws her closer.

Swinging wide so that she may allow her company to peer down into the crystalline waters, she nods. “You see that? Come here, look.” She is patient for a time, though her eyes tell stories that her body cannot. She is lively with intent and while her ideas are many, she is certain about the singular path ahead of her.

She would go to Murdock after this day and they would finally be able to explore together… just like he’d promised.
image credits
table by whit

pixel is by RELI<3

Valka Posts: 32
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 3
tay
If Valka noticed any of the tension simmering beneath Snö’s quiet greeting, she quickly tossed her doubts aside. Friend, said the other mare – and certainly they were friends, now! In silence, Valka glowed. ”Our home is everything I ever dreamed,” she answered. Valka nodded just a little to herself content that everything made sense here, falling into its proper place. She continued to glance up at the dark mare every now and then, however, and stood staring furtively at the stranger when Snö’s reprimand fell on her ears.

A jerk of Valka’s head and the earthy color of her left eye pinned to Snö’s pale coloring. She smells of Basin? wondered Valka. Her limbs shuffled a little underneath her – was she so careless? Ought she smell strangers more thoroughly? One ear twisted back in answer to this thought. Valka said nothing, though; within her the desire to please fought hard against indignation. She ought to learn from Snö, she knew, and take the rebuke as a chance to improve. All the same, she wanted to cry that it was not fair. Sour note dampening her mood, the tall mare watched her friend follow smoothly behind the black mare. Fine, rang the thought – resentful. It had better be somewhere good. At least Valka’s long strides easily kept pace.

Her anger faded as they moved. Soon the brush closed in and irritated, Valka tucked her chin against her chest. Branches scraped like predatory claws along her spine. They were dull, but still prickled a feeling like that of a hunted beast into the corners of her mind. This is a stupid trip, she thought, and her tail flicked angrily behind her. Whatever did this ‘pert’ mare want? Valka chanced a look at Snö, still a little upset but rapidly more curious. Didn’t the trip feel strange? A little… ominous? Valka’s ears twitched; maybe she imagined things. She had felt danger in the dark before that didn’t lurk at all. At last a noise like clear bells reached her ears, and the mare’s head lifted a bit as she recognized it for water.

“Look,” the black mare bade them. Valka’s ears pitched forward. Curiosity made her obedient, and so she came beside the black mare and looked down: at water running fast and bright along the ground. ”What is it?” The question sprang from her lips unbidden, a thought given form. Excitement ran below the low tone of her voice, replacing any bitterness she felt before. A special stream? Something important? Valka turned to look for Snö, eager to see her friend’s reaction.

stock credit: elaineselenstock.deviantart.com | hellofascination1991.deviantart.com | burtn.deviantart.com