the Rift

[RANDOM EVENT] ...What? [Time God/Open]
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia found herself north with plenty of things to do and every single one of them seeming less and less important. Movement was difficult, and her alabaster middle seemed more round and less lithe. She grimaced angrily as she pushed forward toward the mountains, cloven hooves splayed more than usual beneath her increased weight. The cool of the snow and ice seemed to melt against her body, and despite the crisp wind, she felt warm. Was she ill? Ophelia had heard of the disease of worms in the gut - was this it? Too embarrassed and too afraid to talk to the medics of her own herd, she foolishly wandered alone to collect her thoughts. The mare had never had good survival instincts; most of the power of her mind when to her memories.

Finally, breathless, she stopped and groaned, feeling light headed and nauseous. She punched out a breath and closed her eyes, trying to remember anything that had happened to cause this illness. Ophelia had always wandered, but never out of Helovia. The Spectral Marsh seemed murky and foul... was some sort of parasite living there that decided to take up residence in her system? She had never heard of that happening before. The battle had gone well, but she had not exactly exerted herself, so that could not have caused this fatigue and weight gain.

Pregnancy was out of the question because to get pregnant, one would actually have to sleep with a stallion. Considering that the only stallions in her life were too respectful of her to push for carrying on their lines through her, she was positive that carrying a child was out of the question. Ophelia remained pure in that regard. She wondered, actually, if she would feel desire and want like others when they were in love? Without normal instincts, would her body respond? The curiosity of that unknown made her want to try, but the thought of waltzing up to Mauja and asking "would you breed with me so I can know if I like it?" was agonizingly embarrassing.

So what? What was going on? In any other situation, she would have gone to the Sun God's shrine and prayed, but he had abandoned her. Ophelia no longer had her guiding light to explain to her the world and its ways. He had cast her into darkness to stay, and so now, she stood under darkness, lost.

The moon overhead bounced off the shards of stone that had woven into her mane and tail, sparkling brightly like a star and reflecting against her pale coat. Ophelia was nearly a bright star herself in the snow, twinkling brightly. There was no use in praying or speaking. Who would answer? She was forsaken.

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

God of the Spark Posts: 111
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.3hh :: Ageless
Admin

The GOD of the SPARK

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everyone drops to zero

Ophelia was frustratingly hard to find. It had felt like only a few moments ago that he had slipped the surly bonds of time and space, leaving her in the veins, after their brief encounter. He hadn't meant to wander the time stream for too long, but of course, time was a funny thing once you were removed from it. He had stepped out in the meadow at one point, looking for the white mare, and was greeted only by a hoard of gawkers, and Mauja. Had he not been on the hunt for Ophelia, he might have stayed to toy with them a little more; especially the spotted steed. The idea brought a sarcastic grin to his lips, as the winds of time buffeted around his sturdy frame.

But where is Ophelia?

Looking down, images of Helovia flashed before the God's hooves, as if smeared recklessly on the ethereal ground below him. Images of happenings that occurred weeks ago filtered through; creatures he couldn't identify (nor cared to) carried on their mundane small lives; future events unfolded without interruption; and then, there she was. She was practically beaming - had his sister pulled some star from the sky, and brandished her pristine coat with it? Is that why she sparkled so? How nice. With a snort and a satisfied smile, the God focused his deep blue gaze gaze upon her wavering image, and stepped into the time stream....

....and out of an invisible rift in the air. It was as if some curtain parted, revealing a wholly indescribable world on the other side, largely blocked by the stocky body of the God waltzing through. The light that flooded from the other side, seemed to wrap around his dark frame , finally melding into the odd patterns adorning his shoulders and hindquarters.

"Ophelia." His voice was a resounding tenor, with an unmistakable hint of warmth as he spoke her name. His white eye-lashes fluttered as his gaze fell over her swollen sides. Without emotion, his voice lost that subtle hint of affection as he spoke again, "I would have thought after seeing your sister go through pregnancy, you'd be able to identify the signs" Tilting his horned brow, he studied the way her flanks were beginning to bulge from her sides, narrowing his eyes as if he did not know the root cause of this change. "Or perhaps you've just gotten fat." He concluded finally, raising a brow with an ambiguous stare.

CREDITS: Tamme & Boom
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia herd a noise that rattled in her mind like a trapped animal. The sound bounced off of her skull and danced in her ears which she pinned backward to keep more of the noise from coming in. It was not painful, but it was also not right. She turned to look as a strange, shifting light appeared from what seemed behind the backdrop of her very universe. An entirely new world stood behind it, and she peered behind the black shadow that shifted through until his presence was no longer avoidable. Ophelia furrowed her brows as she studied the stallion with the white markings and the lightning horn. As soon as the ends of his cropped tail flashed through the hold closed as if it was never there, and she settled her gaze on his intense, electric blue eyes.

He said her name with familiarity that was not fitting for the one time she saw him in the veins. In an effort to regain the sun god's favor, Ophelia had trekked south to offer a sun amulet to the god; he did not show. She did not go back to see if the amulet was still there. However, the God of Time had appeared and explained that Mauja was safe and no longer trapped in the dream world to which Ophelia had no other reason to stay, but she lingered for the health of the other two mares who had appeared. Both seemed rather delicate.

So why the familiarity and almost affection? He spoke again and the bare hints of emotion were blown away by the breeze. She felt as if Archibald had run right into her chest. Breathing, what was that again? Ophelia struggled for simple survival beneath the weight of her own confusion and emotion, and she closed her dual colored eyes, trying to scour her memories for anything that would lead to that conclusion. Nothing. How? When he called her fat, she shrugged a little by shifting her weight onto her other side. Was it possible that she was just over weight? No... She had just fought in a battle and the sheer stress alone of trying to organize all of that was overwhelming at times. Should she not have lost weight? She had barely found free time to eat.

So, she narrowed her gaze at the God of Time, her dual colored eyes boring into his. He had given her the answer; she just could not believe it to be true. "The latter does not align; I have barely managed to find time to eat between organizing the band and invading the Foothills."

"However, the former does not align with my memories, and I have learned to rely on them, especially after their brief absence." Ophelia did not forget that she had chosen to accept the Sun God's task for her, but she regretted that decision. "So you can explain yourself or offer another solution, God of Time," she said, her body tense, a coil tightening in her gut. Her words were not disrespectful, but rather desperate and trying to hide that fact in harsh bravery.

COME TO ME

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the SPARK

It was amusing, if not a little tiring, to watch Ophelia piece things together. How slowly the minds of mortals worked! He could attempt to pry into her thoughts, but where was the fun in that? Better that she work it out on her own. The latter does not align; I have barely managed to find time to eat between organizing the band and invading the Foothills. However, the former does not align with my memories, and I have learned to rely on them, especially after their brief absence.

Shrugging his shoulders, his shifted his gaze outwards, as if his attention were drawn by the expanses of the Steppe; as if what was happening to Ophelia of no consequence at all. Staring at some ambiguous point on the horizon, his face drained of all emotion. She truly didn't remember...Well, that was of no consequence, not really. She was pregnant all the same - and that was the only outcome that truly mattered. The confusion and brazen tone did not draw his stare away from the vacant landscape before him. "Tell me Ophelia, if you can: if your memories were taken and then replaced..." Now his gaze did turn to fall upon her. Electricity seemed to crackle behind his deep blue stare, disguising some remote emotional response. His features were stern, if not wholly distant as he levelly returned her dual-coloured gaze. "...how can you be sure that they were all returned?"

Interesting, that his flamboyant kin removed this small memory from the mind of his former worshiper. Well, he always was a jealous thing - Even in his exile of her, he left her untainted by the memory of another. Ha. He thought with a cruel smile twisting his dark lips. Again he carelessly shrugged, showing no empathy for the predicament that Ophelia now found herself in. "You are pregnant. The child is mine." He advised flatly, turning to look out at the horizon once more. "Would you care to remember it? I see my brother has forgotten to replace that particular memory. I promise you won't be disappointed."

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia could almost feel the boredom rolling off of him in waves, and she glared brightly through her dual colored eyes. His electric gaze moved this way and that as if he had better things to be doing, and she could feel the muscles beneath her pale skin tense on instinct. Ophelia spoke her thoughts aloud instead of asking him directly, knowing that her thought process was important. Futhermore, she simply could not be pregnant since she had not been with a stallion in that way. It simply was not possible. Biology did not work that way.

Except for diving intervention.

Fuck.

As he spoke, she swallowed hard. He was right. The God of the Sun had held her memories. What promise did she have that he would have given them back? Ophelia had acted on faith to a god who had abandoned her. She had blindly trusted the light to take care of what she held dear, and what had happened? Not only did he cast her aside, denying to see her ever again, but he witheld the most important memory she had made. As her eyes glazed over and a thick weight crushed against her lungs, she received no sympathy. The cold boredom in his eyes merely served to increase the emotion response that she could not bear to hold only in her mind.

"You are pregnant." Ophelia struggled to breath, and she felt her joints lock to keep her upright. Her gaze sought anything in the winter expanse of night that would help her, hold her up, lend her assistance, anything. Nothing. The only other living thing here besides herself was the one who impregnated her, and she could not bear to look into those eyes only to see ice.

Ophelia vacillated between fury at the gods, depression at her state, and joy that only a future mother could feel in the worst of times. She could hardly keep her feelings straight, and they clashed inside of her, rendering her lost. Completely lost. She snorted as he offered to share the memory again, a bitter grimace on her lips tinted by rage that fumed in her eyes. Ophelia let the rage take control (it was easier and much less painful), and she pinned her ears back tightly against her skull.

"You should have told me earlier!" Ophelia barked angrily. "You are the God of Fucking Time. Were you not able to come down to the mortal world for five minutes when my memories returned to tell me that I was pregnant?!" Ophelia tossed her head in the air, cloven hooves stamping at the snow such was her anger. "I fought in a war! I endangered the child who is trying to grow inside of me - your child. Did that not occur to you?"

Did she want to remember? Maybe the Sun God was right, in a sense. Some memories were better forgotten, better left out of her mind that would take hold of it forever. "Keep your damn memory," she snapped, though her shield of rage was cracking. "I have no interest in remembering my weakness with a god who does not care."

COME TO ME

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the SPARK

He watched as her emotional response to his news overcame her physically: her ragged breathing, her tensing muscles and locking joints. Really, he thought she was going to handle this better than she was. Ought he....do something? Eyeing the not-so-sleek white mare, he huffed a ragged breath of his own, before turning his gaze once more to the horizon. "Direct your anger towards the Sun God you so adored. This is his doing." He paused as the words sounded without emotion, as a smile of remembrance appeared on his dark lips. "You were quite willing at the time, if I recall....Not that you have any way of knowing" The amusement that began his sentence turned to a cruel statement of truth as he finished.

Any semblance of warmth disappeared as Ophelia lashed out verbally. What was the problem? Her twin sister, Ktulu, had born a God's child - had she gone around bitching about it? And anyways, wasn't procreating and having babies typically what mares thought their purpose in life was? He sensed some amount of joy within Ophelia, so what was with the hostility? For some reason he thought he didn't need the kid-gloves with this mare; apparently that was not the case.

"As the God of fucking time" He said levelly, more amusement than true hostility in his voice, as he turned to squarely face the white mare, "-things move just a teensy bit quicker for me. Besides, I thought you knew." Flicking his tail casually, he frowned as her cloven hooves stamped into the snow. Even further did his amusement wane as she articulated the battle she had recently fought in. "Huh. Hadn't thought of that.." He doubted the child would be injured - he didn't recall hearing about any serious injuries that Ophelia sustained during the Invasion, but it was not early enough in the pregnancy, to preclude any doubt. Although his features had formed into a frown, it seemed to be more for Ophelia, than a true display of emotion - his gaze remained clear and unburdened by her news.

With a groan of annoyance at her final outburst, the smaller stallion waited until it seemed that her tantrum was finished. Indeed he asked, "Are you done now?" Although smaller in stature, and considerably less blatantly showy than his kin, there was only so much pointless rhetoric that the God would put up with. He had expected more from the thoughtful mare, much more. Instead, she was behaving like a child - what with the snorting and the stamping and the tossing of her head. Did she think she could make him feel bad? Or maybe - an even more laughable thought - she wanted an apology? For what! It had been her sulking which had taken her to have her memories removed in the first place. And she had been....well. Agreeable enough, if not a little out of it at the time of conception but...Mentally, he shrugged. In the end, what did it matter?

Electricity crackled around his dark body as he forced himself to remain material, and not simply return to the time stream and leave Ophelia to her pity-party. "What is done, is done. Shouting won't change the facts. I am surprised by you, Ophelia. You who would first say that you would rely on your memories, and then pick and chose the ones which you would keep. Did you not learn your lesson the first time around?" The electricity around his form began to grow, creating a pale blue orb with bolts of static emanating from within him, to the circumference of the circle. "Perhaps you would care to forget all together? Chalk it up to immaculate conception?" He strode closer; as he did so, the light from his body intensified as more and more sparks leapt from his body out into the air. "You who would rather be ignorant, than not cared about, by me?"

With a great discharge, the current released into the air, crackling and sizzling any moisture that hung around them. Faintly, the sweet scent that typically accompanied a thunderstorm seemed to bloom from invisible blossoms in the air, all around them.

Ascended Helovian

An almost painfully bitter expression painted her otherwise lovely features when he mentioned the sun god, and she snorted furiously. As if she needed another reason to despise the golden god any more than she already did. Ophelia's harsh expression shifted to him when his cutting statement reached her tulip ears, and she grit her teeth, hard. Did that statement even deserve a response? She did not think so, so she did not comment.

When he explained himself more clearly, using her angry words in a humorous way, she settled down a little more. Ophelia had a quick temper, and she loathed being surprised. However, she was still a creature of rationality, a creature of reason. The god deserved a chance to explain himself, just like everyone else, so she paused in her outrage and took a moment to try and listen. Not that listening soothed much of her rage, but at least it connected loose ends that had previously been hanging, taunting her logical mind.

His response to her mentioning that she had fought in a war and endangered the child's life and health only elicited a "huh, didn't think of that" to which Ophelia snorted angrily but continued to try and listen, jaw firmly clenched shut. She contained herself with a flash of her crimson and white tail, eyes intensely boring into his own. "I am done for now," she replied, the gentle tones of her voice harder, but definitely not quite as furious as before.

She watched a shock danced around his figure, wondering if he was angry at her now. Ophelia would have loved to tell him that he had no right to be angry, but instead she continued to hold her tongue. As he spoke, bolts of charged light emanated from his body, forming nearly a circle around him. His chiding of her choice to not remember, though she admitted she worded it rather childishly, was not foolish. She just had no way of explaining that in the middle of the rage that had consumed her. Even so, her emotions were in turmoil. Did he expect her to shrug this off? What would that make her if she did? Certainly not alive, vibrant, caring or... passionate.

The god strode closer, and Ophelia held her ground, pale face lifted proudly. Suddenly, the shock he had accumulated burst into the air and she inhaled deeply to smell the subtle and soft smell of a coming storm. She gave him a look that said that she was not overly impressed though she actually was, and finally, she let out a heavy sigh.

"One, if I see the god of the sun again, I will be sure to unleash my fury in the only way I know is effective against your kind - yelling. However, after his rather haughty dismissal of my presence entirely, I doubt I will get the pleasure," she almost growled, though her stunning tones of chimes made it softer than she intended. "Two, I would think that you would care a little more about a life you implanted in my body to keep a more watchful eye on my comings and goings, regardless of how time flows for you. The fact that you have shown you do not is upsetting, not because I think you care about me, but because I expect you to be responsible for your choices as well." Ophelia leveled him a stern stare but the tightness in her jaw finally loosened.

"Three, I will have you know that when I chose to be with you, I was not myself. I was a version of who I could have been without my entire past to mould me. Willingly I gave up my memories in exchange for power, but quickly seeing how being ignorant can hurt others, I returned early. At which point, your brother deigned it fitting to give me my power anyway and tell me he would never see me again." Ophelia tried not to remember how crushing that memory was, how hurt she still felt over his actions. And now, she had even more ammunition against him, but it seemed to backfire more into her rather volatile feelings.

"Choosing to not remember may make me ignorant of one moment, but the only creatures that forgetting hurts is you and me. And quite honestly, I am furious enough to be that petty. I am angry because you took advantage of me when I was naive and ignorant; I was not myself. Being the god of time, I hold you to that knowledge. I am angry because now, you seem to not care at all at the fact that you helped in creating a life that will need protection, care and nurturing that I assume I will be doing single handedly on top of trying to lead a band. I am angry because I had perhaps unrealistic expectations about childbirth, most likely born of the fact that my parents were joined at the hip, and those are now as cold as the snow beneath my hooves."

Ophelia let her final words slip from her lips purposefully before standing firmly, tall, refusing to let herself cry in his presence. He did not need another reason to think of mortals, to think of her, as being weak. She felt her heart beat slow in her chest as the fury escaped, leaving her tired, just... tired. "I am sorry for yelling," she said, grimacing a little and avoiding eye contact for the moment. "My anger is better directed at your brother, I think."

COME TO ME

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the SPARK

His creation of the 'rain smell' that so many were fond of, apparently did nothing to soothe the fiery Ophelia. He liked the smell, and thought the pleasing scent might abate some of her worry and ire - but apparently not. I tried, he thought with a disinterested mental shrug.

He couldn't help but chuckle under his breath as the dame mentioned how effective yelling could be. When he was yelled at, he was often reminded of just how small and fleeting mortals were. How ignorant that they thought an increase in the volume of their words somehow made them more interesting or worth listening to. Where did they get such ideas? Perhaps it was all of that wailing and snivelling at the veins - Each time his kin had answered one of those cries or demands, had they simply been reinforcing bad behaviour, all along?

"The life I implanted in your body, is fine." He grumbled, growing more and more annoyed with how this conversation was progressing. "I am the fucking God of Time, as you yourself have said. " For a moment, his figured wavered - the edges of his body growing blurry, and then finally fading all together. It was as if the opacity of his form was falling steadily, save for his eyes. His gaze remained as electrifying as ever, if not completely removed from the current scene. With a sharp pop, he solidified again, looking towards Ophelia with a smirk that was a mixture of arrogance, and I-told-you-so. "The child turns out fine. " He confirmed confidently, having peered just a short ways down the time-stream to the birth of his foal. "Only one of my brethren could interfere with the foal's development. So you might want to keep the yelling to yourself until after the birth."

Flicking his tail, he chose not to comment on Ophelia's sense of entitlement. Of her wonderful and unrealistic views about how the circumstances surrounding their foals' conception should be. Mortals - their lives were fleeting enough, without wasting it on courtship and love and being joined at the hip. Even so - it had been Ophelia's decision to relieve herself of her memories, thus the responsibility of her actions still fell squarely on her shoulders, regardless of how that decision fit in with who she 'really' was. But that comment would go unspoken as well.

His electric gaze fell ambiguously upon her once again, as his horned head tilted slightly to the side. Casually, he shifted his weight to the side with a soft sigh. "Anything else?" He inquired, not unkindly.

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia had a hard time believing the God of Time when he said that the child was fine. She narrowed her eyes ever so slightly, glaring at the snow when he told her again that he was the God of fucking Time. However, like he said, any of the other gods could interfere with the health, so the environment should be able to as well. Ophelia would have to be careful where she was used to tumbling head first into battle and bravely going wherever she wanted to. She was not used to having to actively think about caution, as her mind had never done so before. Ophelia was born without the traditional fight or flight instincts, the room for her memories having taken over that part of her brain.

The way he shifted in and out of this world played with her mind in an interesting way. She wanted to know what would happen if she followed him into the open ring that formed around his body. Would she reach another world? Would she be torn apart entirely? Would she see the entire universe only to die of lack of oxygen? What did the other worlds look like? Ophelia, ever curious, stared deeply into the transparent god until she managed to break her focus, coupled with the strength of his words.

When the god asked her "anything else?" as if she was wasting his time, Ophelia grit her teeth and shook her head. If she was truly listening to his voice, however, she would have been able to hear that the tone was not entirely unkind. Was he truly uncaring, or was he wearing an armored mask? She had a hard time discerning what lay beneath. After a few seconds, however, a thought popped into her mind, and she trotted after him a few steps, her cloven hooves crunching in the snow. Her breath plumed from her gray nostrils in a white cloud, and she leveled him a patient, weary look. "Will you give Murder his damned crows back?" she asked pointedly.

"Tinek saw them disappear into nothing with a blue-ish, purple ring around their figures. The God of the Earth had little other comments on the matter, but I am assuming that it was you." Patiently Ophelia waited until he answered her and would leave. She needed time now, to properly fall apart without his electric blue stare of judgement boring down on her.

"I have nothing else to say."

COME TO ME

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the SPARK

He studied Ophelia as she appeared to be mulling over his words. Not for the first time this meeting, did the God reflect on the slowness with which mortals conducted themselves. One would think they would have learned to pick up the pace, given how fleeting their lives were, and yet here was a shining example, of their tendency to focus on the minute details. Of course, these details were likely not so minute for Ophelia, yet he thought it was silly, all the same.

As she drew near, he looked at her with an ambiguous gaze - somewhere between curiosity and confusion. As she inquired about Murder and his crows, he huffed a sigh and turned his gaze back to the horizon, yet kept an ear trained in her direction, to catch the remainder of her comments. So common. Had he expected more? No - perhaps. He had read Ophelia wrong. Presuming he knew her had been a mistake, and his punishment had been to endure her emotional wave and petty requests. He had thought that her rationality would have been more pertinent during this encounter, and yet he found her to be just as short-sighted as the rest of them. Then again...she was pregnant. Perhaps the life growing inside her belly was enough justification for her outbursts? It didn't explain her inquiries about Murder and his crows, but then again, the God had never experienced hormones or emotions such as those Ophelia was likely feeling.

Should he?

Flicking his tail, and giving his emotional attachment, or lackthereof no further thought, he turned back to Ophelia. His gaze was emotionless and distant, as was his voice when he spoke. "Did you know a flock of crows if often called a murder, Ophelia? Very telling, if you ask me."

His form began to waver, pulsing in and then out with varying degrees of opacity, save for his eyes. Around his hooves, ever so faintly, there appeared to be a stream. Lowering his muzzle into the opaque and not-quite-there waters, he retrieved a small black stone, with a deep fissure in the center. Other than the gap, it was completely smooth, and quite shiny. The crack however, was a reflective silver - almost like mercury. A leather cord of black fibers were woven around the stone, encasing it securely. The God placed the stone-necklace upon the ground, out of the time-waters which seemed to rush faintly around him with increasing speed. "Speak my name into the stone, and I will appear. It will also serve as a beacon in time, until the child is born, so that I can more easily find you in the time streams."

As his body dimmed further, fully revealing the landscape behind him, he left her with one last lingering instruction, before fading away entirely: "Stay away from the Gods."

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia could have done without the heavy sigh that punctuated his obvious displeasure at her request. She was not making a request for herself, but for another - for a friend. What had been stolen from him had been stolen unjustly upon his first few steps into this new land. He had expected to be taken care of, and now the gods had earned themselves a new disciple in the church against the heavens. If Ophelia was going to pass judgement, given her knowledge on the matter, she would side with Murder.

The alabaster mare was cracking, but she held strong. She listened to him muse aloud and had found interest in the same subject. "I had wondered if he was named after the crows," she commented in return, waiting for him to give a definitive answers. Ophelia was not one to blame others for the actions or choices of their parents. Murder most likely did not name himself; he did not choose to be followed by crows. She did not choose for her father to pick his herd on the Tides over her life. So, she could not yet decide if his namesake was telling about his character or not.

Strange, dual colored eyes watched as the shock god began to disappear again, and she watched with a somber expression, expecting to be left alone to the snow and her own thoughts. Brows furrowed in confused when he formed a small river of thickly silver and blue substance that she could hardly see around his hooves. Ophelia lowered her neck as well and watched as his muzzle pulled out a strange stone hanging on black leather. The rock was the color of ebony with a crack in the middle which seemed to be filled with liquid silver, almost like Tinek's scales in the mist.

He left it in the snow and told her what it was for. Something about having instant communication, in case she needed him, was touching. Perhaps he was not such a thoughtless ass after all. While the device did not exactly calm the raging sea of her heart, the winds died down enough for the albatross to fly smoothly. "I will wear it, thank you," she promised. Was it a device of communication? Or was it a tracker for a possession? She was unsure.

Ophelia stuck her horn through the leather loop and picked it up off the ground. In one, gracefully concerted effort, she pinned her ears against her skull, tossed her head and knocked the loop over her crown to sit around her neck. The God of Time issued one final warning which she would heed as much as possible. He would not have to tell her twice to avoid the other gods; she had no desire to see any of them. "Farewell."

The silence that followed was deafening. Ophelia could hear the way her heart beat dully in her chest and the gentle whisper of the winds. Weakness overcame her, and she fell to her knees in the snow. She struggled beneath the weight that now sat squarely on her shoulders. Pregnant. How many times had she promised herself that she would wait for children? That bringing life into this world when she was still young herself was irresponsible? She had promised so many times that she would never succumb to desires in order to keep her fighting abilities strong, unencumbered by the demands and needs of life.

In the absence of her memories, in the absence of what made her who she was, Ophelia has chosen against a promise to herself. Without her memories, she had been rather and chosen emotion over logic, desire over future. Who was to blame? She was to blame, for thinking that everything would work out when the Sun God stripped her of herself, but she hated him for it. He had purposefully withheld this memory, took from her everything, and then abandoned her for it. Sadness turned to anger toward the Sun God so violently that tears burned from her eyes, and she yelled through gritted teeth.

Ophelia tore her body from the snow, and snorted a thick, harsh breath of frost, steam rising from the saline that mixed with the blood on her cheek. Nothing would change her fate now. She was used, abandoned, and tricked. Never again.

She clenched her jaw tightly and stepped tersely south, tail flashing angrily around her hocks. Already too many tears had been shed for the gods. Too many tears had been freed in self-pity. All that remained was rage. Ophelia's eyes sharpened, like a hawk awakened to the smell of prey. To the her home she would travel now; the Basin could wait.

COME TO ME