the Rift

[OPEN] Restless [Midas, Open]

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

"It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for;

Night had fallen across the land of Helovia. Where the rest of the world had to sleep, so did the sun, and in his mighty place stood the queen of darkness herself, the moon. The bright moonlight shone across the land, illuminating the grass and creatures who called this blessed land home... It was time for the world to sleep, to overcome their physical trials of the previous day and rest to take on what tomorrow would bring. Yet, for one creature, no such peace of mind came to him.

With troubled thoughts the black and white stallion moved through the thick, soft grasses of the Heavenly Fields, his mind troubled and restless. No matter how hard he had tried to lose himself in slumber, the unicorn had been helpless to do anything except toss and turn upon his makeshift bed, nestled protectively in the embrace of a collection of thick pines that also called the Foothills home. Since retaining his magic and living in the trees of the Deep Forest, Apollo had always felt secure and loved in the embrace that the trees offered. Call it habit if you would, or tradition, or simple foolishness, either way; the trees made the stallion feel safe. That was all that mattered.

Yet no matter how safe the trees made him feel, they could do nothing but watch over the medic as he struggled to obtain the blissful unconsciousness that was sleep. He tossed and turned, groaned and grunted, and eventual his restlessness had drawn Apollo out from the trees. He stopped first at the waterfall that cascaded brilliantly through the Foothills for a refreshing drink, dampening his parched throat and dry lips before continuing on. Oh, how his mind raced...

Loneliness plagued him, uncertainty gnawed at him, and self-doubt tormented him. Apollo knew he was being foolish, he knew, but he couldn't help how he felt. He had been named Earth Medic of the Foothills, and in turn, the Grey. It had been a weight lifted off of his shoulders; finally he could help those who needed it instead of cause pain and suffering, or death. The life of a warrior, of an executioner, just wasn't for him, and so when Ophelia and Ktulu had graced him with the title of Medic, well... By the Gods if he hadn't been relieved of his new occupation.

His new title and his new job, however, didn't stop the loneliness that swelled within the confines of his ebony breast. Despite having his family so close, Apollo was filled with a loneliness that came from the lack of companionship. He yearned to be loved and love in return, but honestly... How? How could he attempt something like that when his heart was already stolen by the lovely Phaedra? Seeing her again at the herd meeting had been difficult, for she was as beautiful as she was the day that he had met her in the Threshold.

Yes, he had already admitted his love for her... But she had said nothing of her emotions for him, and that alone was reason for him to worry. Perhaps he was thinking too hard. Perhaps he should just... Let it go. At least for a little while.

It was with these heavy, downtrodden thoughts that Apollo meandered through the Heavenly Fields, his soft, honeyed eyes soaking in the atmosphere around him. The night was still warm, a lingering after effect of the merciless summer sun, but it was a considerable difference from when the sun was actually out. Each step brushed aside the thick grass, the rustling and crunching echoing across the equally empty fields. No one was out tonight, it seemed... And perhaps that was for the best. Apollo was certain that he would be poor company, anyway.

[ooc: I really need to stop with these mopey Apollo threads, but... At least I have an excuse this time. Open for anyone.]

I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill."

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
Your heart strikes the gold in me
It seemed that I had an inspiring ability to arrive at the right time, while also being in the right place. Sleep had taken to avoiding me tonight as well, it choose instead to make sure my wakeful eyes were brimmed with ideas and questions. Both of which better suited my reasoning for prayer. So. Tonight, instead of traveling to my bed I plucked a different course and dove north to a place that had been my private worship zone for ages. Being close to the gods on this nearly floating city of stone was about as holy as one could get when offering up a call of worship. At this hour the plain would likely be empty, I didn’t expect to see anyone else and especially not one that was dreary with heartache. The night sky was to beautiful for the pains of mortal woos, stars numbering the billions shinned above me. A glorious moon lite my way through the darkness. Wings are full of air, gliding this lean body smoothly along with easy strokes.

Yes. Tonight seemed far to perfect for troubles.

I emerge from on high, lowering through wet clouds that cling to my body as it passes through. The moisture collected on bare skin, cooling flesh and causing me to shiver a little in response. Before I can alight as gracefully as a fourlegged creature with wings could, the sight of another person comes into view. A man, that appeared to me as a black splotch mostly, with a white patch along his left side reflecting the moonlight with each sluggish step he took. An ice colored sword emerged from his brow and it was then that I realized who this shadow brute was.

I call to him, a smile lighting the corners of experience aged face “We seem to just keep bumping into each other.” Helovia was a large span of land, apparently not large enough. A month ago I had seen the lad walking along the surf with another unicorn…what was her name? Nadira? The shadows bar my ability to see that my friend did indeed wear a similar expression as the one he bore when walking that day by the sea. Reasoning behind his worry was still unknown to me. Once upon the ground with wings snuggly pulled to my barrel, I close the distance between us at a walk. Muzzle proffered to brush against his, should he offer to return the gesture, “How have you been my friend?”

Credits

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

"It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for;

It isn't long into his silent, midnight aventure that Apollo realizes that he's no longer alone. At first, the cry of a voice resonating across the field threw him into a state of alarm, for the stallion had been rather lost in his musings and had been paying little attention to the surroundings embracing him. Looking left, then right, and upon spotting no one, Apollo's confusion lasted for maybe a few more moments before honeyed eyes spotted a welcome, familiar form approaching. It was Midas.

Despite the melancholy that had plagued him merely seconds before, a grateful, friendly smile crossed his maw. Midas... He was perhaps the truest of friends that Apollo had gained in Helovia since his arrival. Where the Grey was his family, and would always be that family, he knew that Midas wanted nothing from him other than returned friendship. It was simple, and wonderful, and right now, Apollo could think of no one better to save the monochromatic stallion from his own thoughts.

"We do, don't we?" Apollo chuckled to the heavens, watching as the golden-tinted Pegasus dropped from the sky and came to a rather elegant landing, wings tucking close to his friend's sides. Just how Pegasus managed to land and work their winged appendages was beyond Apollo, but then again... He was a unicorn. That knowledge wasn't for him to know. When Midas approached and outstretched his head towards the paint's, Apollo immediately reacted and stretched his own, willingly brushing his muzzle against the Pegasus' in welcome greeting. It was a simple, yet affectionate touch, and that simple action alone did wonders to help heal the Earth Medic's wounded spirit.

"I've been better, my dear friend," the Earth Medic said honestly, finding no reason to lie to his dearest of friends, "But it isn't anything out of the ordinary. How are you?" He asked, tilting his head slightly and sending the ice-blue horn that rested upon his head askew. "Have you and your family in the Throat been well since the day of the invasion?"

That had been another thing that Apollo found welcome in Midas; the Pegasus had fought alongside him during the invasion of the Foothills, watching his back as Apollo did the same. They were a formideable force, the stallion realized, and how well they had worked together caused a genuine smile to form.

"I was finding it hard to sleep, and so I decided to come up here for a walk to help clear my mind... I'm glad that you showed up; a moonlight stroll is always better with a friend."

I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill."

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
It wasn’t often in life that one found a true brother. My parents hadn’t lived long enough to grant me blood siblings, which was unfortunate. But it also was a valuable lesson in humbleness, charity and fortune. I was in agreement that our friendship was a refreshing breath. I couldn’t always go to my father’s shrine whenever the trials grew too hard to bear. No. I had to rely on the wisdom of family and friends. Some were relied upon more than others. Apollo’s smile was reflected across a similar dark face, he willingly stretched to greet me as brother. At home I was a General, blessed with title and power—but out here among the wild things, I was nothing more than myself.

"I've been better, my dear friend," I frown, had something happened? Though I pull away my eyes are staring attentively into his crystal like stare. My patience wasn’t meant to be rewarded yet, he moves past concerns and turns questions to me. “How are you?"

How was I? Truthfully. Better, I decided.

"Have you and your family in the Throat been well since the day of the invasion?"

Quietly I murmur indifferently, “Same day to day work, the idle threat of a brash fool have proven to be false. Frostfall is nipping our heels and he has yet to show himself….beyond that, my son just learned to fly and our Sultana’s have decided to construct a wall.” My lips curl upward to show that I found the wall to be rather humorous, “Also, Ophelia informed us that a few of those, ‘Assassins’ are in your mist?” I still hadn’t gotten the chance to meet these creatures personally; while we were sharing gossip like a bunch of chattering mares perhaps Apollo would open up.

"I was finding it hard to sleep, and so I decided to come up here for a walk to help clear my mind... I'm glad that you showed up; a moonlight stroll is always better with a friend."

A rich chuckle climbs its way up and past my lips, “Hopefully I won’t make you regret my company.” Moving beside him, I add with light humorous notes, “Shall we talk and walk then? You could spill your worries upon the ground along the way?” Gently I nudge his shoulder with the butt of my snout, encouraging him as one would pat a fellow on the back.

Credits

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Better than a walk, how about a distraction?

In the silver light of the moon, a strange fellow looms. Walk walk walk. Out he walks, with a casual pace, his face holding steady and bright. You might be frightened at first, never having seen such a creature before, but do not be wary! He means you no ill.

You see, he is sort of like you. Long legs, cloven hooves, and a long, graceful neck. Look, he even has wings! They are small, though, you see and clear in the night. A strange sort of webbing that can only be seen in the light. You would probably recognize well the sort of creature which makes his main frame - a stag, brown and grey, with a noble posture. Unlike the stags you remember seeing, though, a single horn protrudes from his head, just like you, Apollo! Yes, he has a single horn that looks to be crafted from fine oak, mystical wings, and an aged looking face.

Where has he come from? Well, it is hard to really say. There are tales of this creature roaming in forests, but he seems to have strayed. Listen closely to his words, and he may explain. Forward he walks, gentle quiet steps, until he would meet with this pair, a stoic expression on his wise old face.

"Excuse me, brothers. Might I trouble you for your aid?"

Well that was forward. I wonder what he is after?

regularjane | Quote: Thomas Moore

Dark ears flicked forward in the bright moonlight, intaking the sound of a friend as words filtered through the air. Apollo knew nothing of the threat that had been proclaimed upon the Dragon's Throat, nor of the fool who had spoken them so brashly. That was unknown to him, but knowing that the plan had failed filled the monochromatic stallion with relief. An attack upon his dearest friend's homeland would be something that he would prefer to not hear about...

"A wall?" Apollo questioned, unable to help himself once the words were murmured from Midas' lips. "I see..." Why, that sounded like what the Mason's of the Grey had been planning. While in times of war it sounded like a good idea, the peace-loving unicorn wasn't sure how he felt about it. Would such a structure make them seem unwelcoming? They were the Grey, yes, but... With a brief shake of his head to show he shared his brother's sentiment regarding the idea of a wall, he let the idea go, especially when Midas brought up the details of Ophelia's visit to the Dragon's Throat.

"Yes, 'Assassins'," Apollo confirmed, disgust clear in his voice. He did not care for Tonka, who was currently a prisoner in their midst, or any of his kin. As far as the Paint was concerned, these Assasssins were Grey-wannabes; mercenaries for the right price but without competitent leaders, or competitent members. Hopefully Ophelia's plight to the other herdlands would inform everyone of this new group's existance, and in turn, they could nip the threat in the bud before it blossomed into something more.

"They're a pathetic bunch, if you ask me. We have one of their members as our prisoner right now, and he's nothing more than an arrogant fool. No one's come for him; I don't believe that anyone will. Obviously they have no family values." Here, he paused, a contemplative frown marring his lips. "I would hate to be a part of that; a group with brother's in arms who would leave me in the hands of an enemy. I'm fortunate that I have found a reliant position with the Grey."

Apollo's soft, honey-brown orbs stayed on Midas' frame as the two-toned Pegasus moved to stand next to his side, and then in a friendly kind of display, bumped his snout into the unicorn's shoulder. A chuckle escaped his maw, a deep, resonating sound of mirth, and he gave a dip of his jeweled head in agreement.

"Your company will be most welcome, my dear friend. Probably more welcome than you realize." With that, Apollo took the first steps of their late night stroll, his eyes darting from the painted form of the General to the path before them. The breeze blew, teasing the long, waving strands of grass that brushed against his legs. Why did he never come to this place before? It was peaceful and beautiful, especially in the moonlight... Idly Apollo wondered if it would be as peaceful if Midas hadn't joined him. Probably not.

"Midas," Apollo questioned abruptly, after silence had reigned supreme between them. He had been chewing this over in his head, uncertain of just how to word what he wanted to say... Eventually he decided to just spit it out; Midas was his friend. Apollo knew he wouldn't be judged. "Have you ever loved someone, but not been loved in return?"

Why, didn't he just sound like a love-struck mare?

He went on to ask more, mouth opening, but the most bizarre of shapes seemed to manifest itself in front of them, creeping forward through the darkness. Fear immediately embedded itself in Apollo's breast, his past fears of creatures lurking in the dancing darkness snapping his head to attention. Nostrils widened and flared, snorting the air as one would do when spotting an intruder... Yet the more that Apollo's eyes lingered on this approaching creature, the Earth Medic found his fear turning to genuine curiosity.

What kind of strange creature was this?

Turning his head, Apollo went to exchange a brief, uncertain look with Midas, curious to see if perhaps the good General knew this individual. Looking back to the approaching stag, Apollo dipped his head lower, honey-brown eyes lingering on this newcomer. Gentle eyes roamed over the stoic, aged face, and the branch-like horn that protruded from his cranium. Briefly, memories of the phantom stag Apollo had met in the forest came to mind, but no... This wasn't the same creature, he realized with mild disappointment.

'Excuse me, brothers. Might I trouble you for your aid?'

Ears flicked forward once more, listening to the stranger as he spoke. There was something odd about his vocals, but not entirely unpleasant. Looking once more to Midas, as if searching for some kind of confirmation, the Earth Medic looked back to the winged-stag and spoke.

"What can we help you with, kind sir?"

Credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
Apollo didn’t seem like one that favored games involving the scorn of others; so it stood to reason that when he frowned with remembrance to the Assassins, I responded likewise. Breeding idiots were often the worst kind, their sperm traveled quickly; and the tongues of their offspring grew sharp….oh how they waggled. My mind returned to a fool who fit this category during our attack on the Foothills. His larger, nameless frame, was not what made the strongest mark upon my mind—instead it had been his careless words that imprinted upon me. If I recall, my intent during the time of his ‘speech’ had been to fill those lapping jaws with sand. But no mater. It was over now, the fool soundly lashed to heel.

My friend speaks at length of their lack in strength and loyalty. Despite knowing that all flies would have to be removed from the ointment, before infection set it; I feel a small surprising trace of pity, mostly because those captive beasts would never understand the firm brotherhood of a clan nor of true friends. Softly I reply, You have brothers in high places. I would see you freed if somehow your clan failed to complete the task itself.” Apollo was one of my closer relations, and a good ally. I didn’t want him to come to harm any more than I wanted my own child to fall prey.

"Your company will be most welcome, my dear friend. Probably more welcome than you realize."

Lips curve into a wider smile. The heavens had indeed seen fit to bless us with honorable companionship. We make it a short ways, wrapped up in our own thoughts. Mine are lingering upon the troubled soul beside me, though you wouldn’t know it by appearance. Head is lax, fallen to half-mast and held with calm position. Ears are pressed a little forward and face is totally smoothed into a relaxed line. A mentor, a brother, waiting calmly for him to either share or take relish in the quiet peace of a moonlit stroll. I knew that Apollo would do the same for me, had our positions became reversed.

“Midas,” He finally says, and though we keep moving that same easy going pace my closest ear swivels a little to one side, listening for more words to follow my name. Sure enough they come, “Have you ever loved someone, but not been loved in return?” I didn’t chuckle or laugh at his confession, but the simply line that had fallen across my muzzle while we walked flicked upright at one corner. He spoke more honestly then even I.

Jaws part to speak, I even manage to suck in a breath of air for words when suddenly something flickers ahead. My eyes were still faced toward the front so I noticed the shimmering almost instantly. Peddling limbs stopped their motion altogether. Drawing up I stand beside my brother as the form manifests into something more tangible. There is no thick mist tonight, yet our new arrival seemed to creep in on the belly of clouded. Only willing itself to take form for some purpose or another….perhaps even a game.

I blink, an outward sign of confusion. The tips of my wings flare outward a little in readiness, head is lifted to gain better vantage of what approached. Ears are pressed forward, and when Apollo shifts his eyes to me I turn a little to meet them. Neither of us knew what came, that much was obvious. We glance back to the magical being, both wary and unsure. Something about this entity set my hair to rise.

A unicorn perhaps? My eyes spot a horn and some sort of webbing across his shoulders. Appearing as a glimmering set of wings. Yet, this creature was not of our kind. He took on the likeness of an elder stag, graced with age and wisdom. I am reminded of my lord for a moment, the branch and earthlike features seemingly marking him as a servant to my worshiped one. My head drifts lower in a show of respect as our company approaches, beside me I feel Apollo do the same.

Somehow I felt now…..that no harm would come to us.

"Excuse me, brothers. Might I trouble you for your aid?"

I meet my brother’s eyes before he turns to greet the stag first, "What can we help you with, kind sir?" Turning my face to the ancient one, no words are necessary to add towards what Apollo had just said. I merely nod, willing to aid this venture however I can.

Credits

Helovian Ancient

Would you look at that?

You appear frightened, and it stands to reason. The ancient stag is rather large, larger than just any out-of-the-woods deer. He carries himself with a sort of grace that is eerie in the moonlight fog, tried and true. Age carries dance steps that those of this day cannot learn. As soon as our earthly brother draws nearer, though, their quivering seems to still.

Eyes rapt at attention, you watch him carefully as he speaks. Thankfully, you both seem willing to help! How delightful... let us see how he proceeds.

"Excellent," his voice echoes in the night, which may seem odd. Surely, this fellow is not hollow, right? "My child has fallen ill, you see, and the trees have told me of your kin's abilities to heal." His face is serious, stoic, but kind, growing increasingly more open yet still closed off - a wall that is only climbed through long years spent with such a creature. "And you, winged brother, that fire bird, do the flames burn enough to light torches?"

"You both will need fire to light our path, as you are day travelers."

With his last statement, you might be tempted to look at his ancient eyes. As you look toward them, you notice they are pure white and covered by a silken gauze, but why? I will tell you the secret of his kind. When not under the guise of nightfall, they have much to sensitive eyes to travel. Even here, in the light of the moon, it is far to bright for them to go unprotected. Their homes, you see, are rumored to be forests nestled in mountains, only opened by magic and a strange language you would not recognize.

"That is... if you are still willing to help."

This ancient stag seemed almost pleased with their response, but at the same time Apollo found himself straining to spot the said emotion upon the horned-one's weathered features. He was an odd creature, the Paint noted, and if the circumstances were different Apollo would probably inquire as to just what he was... In a completely innocent way, of course. Yet, as fate would have it, this situation wasn't meant for such meager conversation, and when the ancient-one's echoing vocals rang through the air once more, the Earth Medic listened at rapt attention.

'My child has fallen ill, you see, and the trees have told me of your kin's abilities to heal.'

That took Apollo by surprise. The trees had told him? He could speak to the trees, and they could speak to him? Idly the stallion wondered just how the ancient stag had gained such an ability, but he wasn't jealous. No, simply intrigued, for Apollo had yearned to listen to the trees since shortly after arriving in Helovia.

The words that swam through the air caused Apollo to frown. His child was ill? That wouldn't do. The monochromatic stallion's heart lurched for the stag and his unknown child, for if there was one thing that Apollo cherished above all else, it was the welfare of a child. Dipping his head in what he hoped was a respectful gesture, the Medic spoke.

"Of course, sir," he answered, sincerity swelling with each syllable, "I would be honored to help you and your child to the best of my abilities." As he spoke, Apollo's honeyed orbs flicked to Midas, waiting for the Pegasus' words of acceptance. He knew that Midas would say yes, for honestly he didn't seem like the type to turn down such a humble plea, but Apollo wouldn't make the decision for him.

Credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas

"My child has fallen ill, you see, and the trees have told me of your kin's abilities to heal."

He speaks to Apollo, referring to some magical healing qualities that my dear friend must possess, though I have yet to witness such myself. My war brother remains silent, though out of the corner of my vision I can see a frown form upon his jaw. "And you, winged brother, that fire bird, do the flames burn enough to light torches?" The stage speaks again, this time addressing me as brother for the second time this evening—though to me it would seem more appropriate for my title to be son> and his to be father. The act of brother seems almost ridiculous considering his obvious age. Surely this was a servant of my high lord?

My deity questions of origin would have to be saved for later. If what this man spoke was true--a child was hanging in the balance. The thought made my heart quicken in tight anticipation and dread, I had seen far too many wounded youths in a short life here. It wouldn’t be so bad had each not whelped a special spot in this heart.

I hold my tongue yet still, being careful to remain humble and not over curious in outward expression. He calls for the use of a certain companion we both knew I possessed….yet it would remain a mystery of how he knew.

Obediently I called out to that particular bird, through a mind bond we both share. Softly I say, "Wake child…..I need you.” My tone is gentle and she wakes, spreading wing to travel to us from the lower lands below. She didn’t favor the meadow tonight and had stayed below the mountain to catch up on some much needed beauty sleep—since it was apparent that I wouldn’t be settled for many hours.

Apollo responds and turns me too expectantly, I glance at him and offer them both a half smile, “We will aid you in whatever way we can.” It was an honest response and my friend was right to gaze at me with eyes brimming with that look of knowing. He knew I couldn’t turn down a chance to help anyone. No matter who they were.

Seconds trickle by, Fina was small and swift of wing; yet it takes time to climb a mountain. She arrives as a bright beacon shinning against a dark backdrop that is heaven. Her body a fiery blaze. She cries out, loudly, as if her appearance wasn’t enough to take note of. I sigh, but hold back any flecks of annoyance as the pyro child comes to land across my hip. Talons brushed flesh gently instead of grasping like they usually did. Curiously her blue eyes travel to Apollo but quickly fall toward our strange company. I feel her questions travel the length of the bond, “I need your help tonight.”

“Lead the way friend.”
Credits

Helovian Ancient

You are being good sports. The stag looks pleased, he nods once in reply to the both of you, his body language looking lighter in the wake of your agreement. "I am grateful," he says, falling silent as they await the arrival of the small little fire bird that flits around you normally, Midas. Perhaps you are wondering how he knew about your companion. I think I have said before that he has sensitive eyes. The milky film of a cloth sits neatly, guarding his eyes but still allowing you the sight of his features.

As you arrive, Fina, the company might notice that his eyes squint if he glances in her direction, but he quickly strides forth, easing past your bodies back down the bank of the stream. The glint of fire dances on the webbed wings, making them shimmer in the darkness, and one of the limbs nearly glances your body, Apollo. It would be cool to the touch - almost like water.

You come to the edge of the field when the stag stops his advance, small hooves nearly stepping over the cliff and onto the clouds, but he stops. That is when you hear it. A strange guttural noise, which arises from the ancient throat without movement of his lips. The eyes from behind the silken cloth close, but the wings upon his back begin to shimmer little glimmers of gold. Forward the particles roll in the air, tumbling over themselves, a cloud of metallic dust, which forms past the edge of the cliff, a ledge formed by faintly shimmering gold. Green light surrounds it then, and the form seems to solidify.

Your eyes would widen in amazement if you had been paying attention because, behold, where there once was air, now a strange looking stairway, as if it were built of a massive root, has appeared. A pathway into the mountain. "Follow me, brothers."

Down and down and down you climb. The stairway winds and curves, torches along the walls which can be lit to guide you back once your task is done. You might feel like your journey is taking you too far, far far down in the mountain below. The light from the outside world disappears, leaving you alone with the phoenix and the faint silver green which appears to glow off of the stag in this dim light. It is then that you see a massive wooden door in your way, blocking the path, with strange designs carved inward, glowing faintly as the stag approaches. That same guttural song rises, twists and falls through the door, causing it to slowly dissipate as though it were air. The stag motions with his neck to follow, allowing you both enough time to walk through the door before following through as well.

The world inside is a forest of night. The trees, though, glow faint and silver, but your eyes cannot see the path at your feet. The light of the fire bird would have to suffice. The elder stag guides you toward a small copse, where in the middle, a peculiar looking figure lies.

You might have been expecting a fawn, since your ancient friend clearly stated daughter. However, the ailed child on the ground is little more than a rabbit with two long antlers protruding from her skull - a jackelope. She too appears to half filmed wings like the stag, but you may notice she is different. Instead of the faintly green silver glow of everything in this strange world, she is glowing red.

"A poison has reached her body," he says, looking down sadly. "If her illness continues, the land she guards will fall to the other spirits." Toward Apollo, his face turns, the shroud gone to reveal brilliantly green eyes. "Can you aid her, brother?"

'We will aid you in whatever way we can.'

It seemed he was not wrong when he assumed that Midas would be more than happy to help the ancient stag's plight. Apollo's honeyed orbs met the General's and he smiled in return, pleased at his words. Yes, Midas was one of a kind. If more could take example of this fine steed in front of him, then there would be less bloodshed and warfare. Wouldn't there? Apollo liked to think so.

Turning his head back to their visitor, Apollo waited for Fina to show. He hadn't seen her during the invasion upon the Foothills, and knew that the young fire-dancer would probably have grown immensley since the last time he laid eyes upon her. That had been during their first encounter, Apollo realized, back in the muck-infested world of the Spectral Marsh when he and Midas had first crossed paths. My, how far they've both come since that day... Strangers-turned-brothers, it seemed, and Apollo regret nothing.

'I am grateful.' The statement unfurled from the ancient one's lips, and there was no hiding the appreciative tones from his voice. The Earth Medic watched as his posture seemed to relax, as if a heavy burden was lifted from weary shoulders, and it filled the monochromatic stallion with a strange sort of pleasure that he and Midas could be of assistance. Now, hopefully they would be able to help his ailing daughter...

Not long after did Fina arrive, introducing herself with a sharp cry and an entrance suitable for a queen, dancing upon the flames that burned within her tiny chest. There would never be a time where Apollo grew tired of witnessing Fina's glory, for truly, a fire-dancer like her was a true sight to behold. This world was filled with magics that were beyond Apollo's knowledge, and while he had been granted with one, there were thousands more that weren't meant for him to understand. With a smile at Fina as she came to rest upon Midas' painted hip, Apollo's expectant gaze turned back to the stag.

'Follow me, brothers.'

With those words the stag moved to lead them towards their destination, brushing past Apollo and glancing his side with those strange, webbed wings. The sensation caused the Paint's hide to twitch, but not unpleasantly... It was almost soothing, the touch like water, and contrary to Apollo's fear of the liquid, this installed nothing but a strange peace of mind. No... No harm would come of him here, in the presence of Midas and this mystery stag. Here, he was safe, with equal brothers of the flesh.

Dutifully Apollo followed, his steps light, certain that Midas was doing the same. They passed by the bubbling stream, hooves sinking into the softer soil of the stream bank, but not once did Apollo stray from the task at hand. He and Midas both had an important part to play in this. Soon, though, they ran out of ground to walk upon, and it was with growing curiosity that Apollo watched the ancient stag before them. Ears snapped forward at the gutteral noise, looking to Midas in confusion, but he remained quiet. No, it was best to simply let the older creature do as he was doing...

Honey-brown eyes widened in surprise, however, when the strangest of things manifested before them. Where there was once air now stood a strange kind of walkway, that circled around the side of the mountain. It was... A path? But how? There were so many things that Apollo found he wanted to ask, but respectfully he kept his mouth shut, not wanting to make a fool of himself. Instead, he followed, albeit hesitantly. After all, it wasn't every day that one saw a path materialize off the ledge of a cliff.

Down, down, down they traveled, and passing through a door, they reached their destination, and Apollo's eyes soaked in everything. This was... Amazing. Never, in all of his wildest dreams, would he have ever imagined such a place like this to exist. This land was darker than the life of Helovia, yes, but it was oh so beautiful. The trees, Apollo noted with unending joy, glowed silver in the darkness, and he could almost feel the whispers and life that emitted off of them. He wanted to pause, to stop and speak with these magnificent trees and hear what they had to whisper and tell, but alas... He and Midas were here for a reason.

Guided as they were by the ancient stag, Apollo stepped hesitantly into the clearing, gentle eyes immediately taking form of the hunched creature that lay precariously inside the embrace of the copse of trees. Was this... The ancient one's daughter? But... This creature looked like a rabbit, with peculiar horns protruding from her tiny head and those same, webbed wings upon her tender back. She was unlike anything that Apollo had seen before, but it didn't matter. If she needed the aid, he would do his best to provide it.

Confusion was short lived, and Apollo ventured closer, head lowering as he examined the young jackelope. "Poisoned...?" He whispered in surprise, his eyes flicking back upwards to meet the suddenly vivid, green gaze of the ancient stag, "Poor thing... I... I'll do what I can for her, sir, I promise."

During his time with his magic, Apollo had healed a multiple of different wounds; strained muscles, broken bones, harsh gashes... But never had he healed one who was poisoned. There was no reason, however, that he would doubt his gift.

Focusing once more upon the poisoned child, Apollo gently brushed his velvety muzzle against her side, feeling the jackelope's soft, downy fur tickle his nose. "Peace, child," he murmured, simply wanting the jackelope to know that he meant no harm, "Your father brought us here to help..." Whether or not she would even understand his words, Apollo wasn't sure, but he wanted to do what he could to be reassuring. Turning his head to the side, Apollo dug his horn into the dirt, twisting and turning his neck to make sure that enough soil coated the crystalline tip. He allowed his eyes to fall shut, and his breathing to steady, recalling that peaceful moment in the forest when the phantom-stag had bestowed this very magic upon him...

A brief smell of rain and dirt permeated the air, and delicately, as one would touch a newborn baby, Apollo pressed the tip of his horn against the jackelope's side. To any who listen, Apollo thought to himself, sending this prayer in his thoughts, Please let this gift of mine spare this child...

Credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
I was still trying to wrap my mind around who this ancient creature was. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that my questions really didn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. It was better to enjoy the ride rather than sour an interesting mood with mortal brooding. So, instead of filling his pricked deer ears with words, I choose to watch calmly when the stag pressed forward.

Smooth as water, he moved past us; heading toward wherever it was we are going and addressing us with directions to follow. Apollo turned to tag along and I did the same, walking a little behind the duo. Eventually we ran out of earth, only the sky remained and it dawned on me that he was leading our small company straight for the dropoff. Which that would have been all good and well, had everyone within the group controlled the gift of flight; but what about my unicorn friend who was currently wingless? Unless of course there was a talent that would manifest the ability to soar; this patched Overo was grounded.

Our leader paused and so did we, my wings expectantly unfurled about a foot; readying for takeoff. Curious now, I couldn’t wait to see how the stag would create lift for our dear brother—who’s healing talents he surely needed. Sadly, feathers did not sprout from his shoulders, nor did jets of air suddenly send Apollo to meet heaven’s grand display of diamonds. A thin film of gold grew along the buck’s web like wings—it spread out like my magical dust storms often did. But instead of scattering to the wind, a shape began to form, as did the strange gruff sound coming from our mythical friend. The end result was a magical pathway.

"Follow me, brothers."

Fina snickered and rose from my shoulders to hover with smooth beats just slightly up and in front of my face. Her icy eyes where upon me, an image followed through our bond; an image of myself with pools that appeared much too large for my bowed facade. Apparently when watching a root like path magically appear—my eyes got really big. We descended without question, the buck, the painted stallion, and myself. An ethereal light emitted from the stag to guide Apollo, while I followed Fina’s flames with ginger steps.

How long we walked? A few moments? A few hours? It was long enough for any amount of hesitation or fear to vanish, and instead I was forced to focus on the sound of ticking hooves. I wasn’t sure when we arrived—eventually though the ancient one paused. A door barred our way. That low rasping came again, this time instead of a path emerging—the door disappeared, and ahead was a whole new plane of existence. Apollo was the first through and I was close at heel, with the stag to follow last.

This place was dark. As if the light from heaven had been snuffed out by a great wind. The only source of illuminate was a faint silver glow that seemed to be coming from the nearby trees—or at least I thought they were trees. Surely, my eyes had never witnessed such timbers. Fina flies up a little, casting her bright fire across Apollo’s back and showing us the path we had to take. Fascination kept fear of the unknown at bay; I wasn’t certain which emotion made my heart thunder beneath chest. Ivory feathers tightened themselves against my sides protectively.

The creature led us to our patient’s side. A red child that wasn’t equine, deer or of any other hooved animal. It was a rabbit, an unusual bunny with tiny antlers sprouting from its skull—but still a bunny. "A poison has reached her body.” Poison? I stiffened at the word; remembering how venom had almost taken the life of my child. Apollo shuffled forward to help, Fina was close behind; her concern fluttering in and fire rising to give him as much light as possible.

Credits

Helovian Ancient

The ancient stag watches you carefully, Apollo, his bright green eyes staring at you rather than the huffing ball of fur at his feet. The ragged breathing and occasional twitch of an ear tells you the little rabbit is still alive, but her eyes are glassy as they turn in your direction. Delirious with fever and feeling ill down to her bones, the earthen child cannot greet you all warmly. Instead, her eyes blink slightly, as if giving you permission to step forth and heal her.

The eyes of the stag remain poised upon you, for he may trust you well enough to lead you to this realm, but the healing process is delicate. He knows this well.

Midas, you seem to cringe at the mention of poison and the elder does not miss this. His eyes glance toward you sympathetically before falling back upon the pair, healer and patient. The light from the firebird burns brightly, but silence ruminates in the air. The power of the Earth spirit which radiates from within all creatures assembled grows stronger, rising in delight toward the call to heal.

We all hope that it will be enough.

The soft touch of a horn causes the jackelope to stiffen for a moment, frightened but unable to flee as she might wish to. Instead, Apollo, she finds comfort in the soft touch despite her initial reaction, the scent of rain and soil filling the air between those gathered and soothing her heart. With a strong exhale, the rabbit's red tint begins to swirl. Portions glow the faint silver green while the red seems to plague and fight, struggling to maintain its place within her body. However, eventually the tides of the violent red are defeated, and the breathing of the earth creature softens, evens, and comes smoothly. Still, her eyes do not open, but you should fear not - she is asleep.

With delight, the stag smiles, the crinkles of his eyes gathering in the dim light. "Thank you, brothers," he says before the strange guttural noises begin again. This time, the trees as well begin to sing. Golden lights swing through the air, surrounding you. Your can dart and dance to see the magic of the light, but in a brief moment, you feel your feet being planted on soft grass again - the shimmering faded.

You are standing in the Heavenly Fields, but you feel lighter.

[ Midas and Apollo have been given temporary magic until May 20th, 2013!
Earth x Light :: ability to attract wildlife, such as bird, deer, or other animals. ]

All throughout the healing process, Apollo prayed that his magic skills would be enough to help the jackelope recover from her poison. The thought - fear- of failing rose within his breast, but just as quickly as it came, the stallion pushed it away. No. Now was not the time to second guess himself. He had to remain vigilant, and ready to fight this poison just as admirably as the jackelope herself was doing.

Soulful honey remained locked on the poor creature's quivering form, but before his very eyes, it seemed that his abilities were working. Her color faded and swirled, changing from the unsightly red aura to something far more natural to her kind, and Apollo could do nothing but lift his head and smile. It was a true, happy smile, knowing that he and Midas had just saved the life of someone who was waiting at Death's door. The thought lifted his heart, and his spirits.

Turning his head upon hearing the ancient stag speak, Apollo glanced to Midas, and before he could speak, the world around them seemed to change. The trees sang silver melodies and lights danced around them as if they were tiny faeries, and the Earth Medic soaked in in before, seemingly in a second, all of it was gone.

A breeze pushed by him, caressing his warm body and feeling almost soothing to the touch. It was... Strange, yet comforting, and on that thought, Apollo realized that he, Midas, and Fina had all been returned to the plain of the Heavenly Field, where they had begun this impromptu journey. The monochromatic stallion's eyes widened in surprise, and his head snapped to face Midas, uncertain.

"We... We're back," he murmured, almost as if he could scarcely believe it. The memories of the beautiful underworld would forever linger, and briefly Apollo wonered if they would ever see such a place again. Wether or not they would, the Medic wouldn't forget the adventure he and Midas had just experienced. Something within him felt lighter, almost as if the troubles that had started this whole charade had been settled. The problems still existed, yet, but his very soul felt at peace. Idly he wondered if Midas felt the same.

"... Do you feel different, Midas?" Apollo asked softly, taking a step closer to his dear friend.

[ooc: Not sure if you'd like to continue this thread, Angel, so I went ahead and responded. :3]

Credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
A battle was wagged, a fray without the use of steel or teeth. One such fight I had witnessed only once before, between death and Cera; at that time I had been helpless to aid. Onni had to become the Angel of light, his salvation and mine—because if I had lost my beloved child that day, a different man might have emerged. The silver glow returned slowly to this mythical babe, her red seeping disease fled as earth worked its wonders upon the flesh. Apollo shone brightly today, his talent would do something that only a few others seemed able to muster; a talent that warriors could only gap at.

Finally it was finished and the patient took to resting. Her tiny chest rose and fell peacefully. “Thank you brothers.” Fina shifts her gaze as I did to stare at the smiling buck. Suddenly the world began to melt away and the trees seemed to cry out with their beautiful voices ringing. A gold light surrounds us, blinding light that causes me to squint and lower my lashes responsively. It only lasts a moment, and then we are standing back in the field of flowers and wild grass. Heavenly field.

My limbs are stiff, almost expecting the soil beneath our feet to pivot. Of course it did not, at least I wasn’t the only one unsettled by the sudden change of location. Fina had fallen forward and was currently latched onto my shoulders as if it was her last anchor. Silently I nudge her painful claws from my flesh, ‘ouch...’ I utter through our bond and she unwillingly gentles the touch.

“We…We’re back.” My bottomless pool slither toward him, “It would seem so.” It wasn’t a disappointed statement, or even one of gladness, like his first sentence it was merely a statement of facts. Curiously I glanced around, no sign of the stag or the strange bunny, “Do you feel different, Midas?"Honestly, I felt as if my mind had just awakened from a dream, “I’m full of questions….where was that Apollo?” Could we have just seen the afterlife? The spiritual plane of those that had been lost?
Credits