the Rift

[OPEN] Brick by Brick

Coris Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

He can feel it now, like a living thing squirming inside of him. Too long he felt barren inside, but now his innards awake and they writhe with the frenzy of years long spent in slumber. It feels like a worm and so Coris is the bird, gripping it in his beak.

Coris feels his magic.

He wrenches his beak and the worm grows taut. His horn shifts, gliding over the metal sheet and causing it to ripple, as though he'd disturbed nothing more than water. It makes an odd noise as the metal warps and spreads, molding to every whim of the storm-strewn stallion. He laughs as he works, giddy on the masterpiece unfurling before his very eyes. He has a long way to go with the wall yet, but like any true craftsman he marvels at the splendor of turning something as ordinary as a lump of metal into something so extraordinary as a monumental barricade.

He is patient, though perhaps Kri less so, but he cannot rush beauty or magnificence. It should certainly progress more quickly now though, as Coris at awakening his leather magic, was better able to grasp at the weaker sensation of his rank magic. He felt for the first time that he was truly alive.
"And to think I nearly died," he muttered to himself.

Coris came to a halt as his horn reached the tip of the wall panel he was focusing on. He stepped back to scrutinize his latest sheet of steel, stepping forward a few more times and directing his horn with short, quick jerks that the wall responded to in turn, folding back into itself or spreading as directed. When he stepped back once more, he nodded with satisfaction. Another panel completed.

The stallion hobbled back towards the pile of his ores, only to find, and remember, he had just used the last one. "Damnit," he cursed, peering down into his empty pile with a deepset frown. Coris had not collected any ores yet and wasn't quite sure he knew where to start, or even if he'd be capable. His leg still hummed with pain and certainly would only damage itself trying to dig through this hard soil.

Sighing Coris leaned back against the wall, finding some solace in its shade while he contemplated how to solve this dilemma.

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre

How long had they had plans for a wall now? A season? Two seasons? The idea was a great one, to be sure. A wall to keep out any wingless attackers, like those damn Basin horses. Or Tio. Imagine their faces when they saw a gleaming metal wall between them and the Throat. Oh, how fun it would be to walk along the top of the wall and taunt any would-be enemies. She hadn't seen much of their new crafter though. Herd gossip said he was a bit of an eccentric, had a falcon, and carted around dead game. Ew.

Speaking of that crafter, was that him over there?

She paused her ambling along the wall's sporadic markers, peering at the horse in front of her. His disheveled appearance certainly made him look eccentric. And there were the dead animals hanging from strings around his neck. Her nose wrinkled slightly at the smell. Java, clinging to her neck, shared her revulsion. Still, he was the one undertaking the difficult task of making them a wall, and she respected him for it. "It looks good." she called, stepping forward and giving him a polite smile. She turned to survey the new block of steel, whistling. "When I heard we were going to have a wall, I thought it would just be stone and mortar. I didn't expect steel. Nobody's getting through that." She didn't want to seem like a gushing fool, though. That was enough complimenting for now.

She looked around the work site, wondering where he was getting the materials. There were a few scattered, bits of ore gleaming in the sand nearby, but the grain were far too small to use in the wall. How was he getting his material in the first place? Did he dig it out of somewhere? Aryel didn't really know much about metalworking. She knew the desert produced deposits of minerals, but getting them to the wall had to be difficult. You could only really carry one chunk of metal in your mouth at a time.

She tilted her head, looking at an unfinished section of the wall. Well, she didn't have patrol duty today. She might as well offer assistance. "Do you need any help?" she asked the Forger. "I don't know much about building walls, but I'll try to help if I can."

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>
In blood and honor, we will prevail.</style>

image by gpabill @ flickr.com
Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No time for lies and empty fights

Something snapped amongst the foliage of the oasis and it didn't take too long before a hare bounded out, it's ears large and twitching. The animal almost seemed peaceful for a while, nibbling here and there on bits of grass before suddenly it looked up again. Nothing appeared at first until something shimmered in the air and suddenly a mountain lion crouched before it, gaze sharp with hunger as limps sprang forward and jaw gaped open to show rows of sharp teeth. Yet something was wrong with this lion, it's appearance flickered and cracked, an apparition that wasn't very solid. The hare darted off in many directions, however, fear lacing it's every move before finally it escaped into the bushes. The mountains lion had disappeared seemingly into thin air, but the orange haired stallion who roamed the skies above knew better.

"Veci! Leave the poor thing alone" he berated the boggart whose presence had now appeared at his side. Hector shook his head and slapped his leonine tail through the air, his fiery eyes held sympathy for the poor hare who was probably suffering from a heart attack right now. He didn't really know why he kept telling his bonded to stop scaring others, it wasn't like Veci was ever going to change and Hector promptly reminded himself that he most likely wouldn't like it if Veci did indeed change. Not that the spectre listened anyway.

The pair flew off, surveying the land until he came across two dots on the earth below. Taking an interest, Hector angled his flight downwards, gliding gently until finally all for hooves caressed the dusty floor and he could identify the two before him. His gaze was one of surprise at first before he finally schooled his expression to present the respect his superiors deserved. "Sergeant! He said promptly in a salute like manner through booming vocals. He didn't really know too much of Aryel, but she had always seemed approachable from the glimpses of her personality he had seen. His orange orbs then turned to the thickly built stallion of grey hues and strange leathers. Rumours would suggest that this was indeed their Forger, his work with the metal already was proof of his incredible ability.

"Ah, you must our Master Forger! I'm Hector, a simple Soldier, at your command if you need me." He said respectfully. Hector was always ready and eager to work, his body that rippled with muscle proved that. His attention was not fully on them, however, as part of him kept an eye on Veci who was closely inspecting the Forger's handy work with intense curiosity.

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Coris Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

His eyes part soon enough as a voice comes, pulling him from his brief reverie of thought. Truthfully he'd been about to slip into a nap, abruptly tired as he tried to ponder his latest obstacle to avoid. It would seem crafting took a good deal out of him when magic was involved.
Above Venati screamed a warning. He disregarded the bird's silly worries, turning instead to the figure that neared.

A gentle laugh quipped from his throat at her compliment. He caught himself, the sound dying away swiftly. "Forgive me my lady, I appreciate your admiration, but I fear there is nothing yet worthy of such praise. There is much work yet to be done." Coris dipped his head respectfully. Venati sent a flash of confused violet to his mind, unable to understand why he'd de-value his own work when he was normally so prideful.
I can only take pride in something worthwhile, his mind sighed back, grey eyes flickering over the very plain and very single piece of wall.

She curved about his metal sheet, and whether she was just kind or finally recognized how plain it truly was, offered her assistance. His lips broke into a thin smile, apologetic almost in the way it wrinkled his mouth corners. Before he could utter a response however another came. Coris' attention drifted towards the red stallion, intrigued by the style of his horns and the fall of wings upon his backside.
"Sergeant!" the stud called out, his voice intrusive with its bold volume. Coris' ears settled back briefly, as if to shake out the excitement from the boy.

He introduced himself, not that it helped Coris know him much better - he didn't know Aryel either, not surprising for him. Coris had to hide his smile at the fact Hector seemed not only to recognize, but freely say he was a simple soldier.
Even simple things had their uses Coris supposed, and he needed the stud's bulk not this thoughts today.

"Hail Hector. As it is I could use assistance from both of you. I'm afraid what you see before you took all the metal ores I had and I am in need of more." He paused, his thoughts furrowing his 'brow. "I was trying to decide how best to find and gather them. I assume there is plenty of metal here, but most underground. I am afraid with my leg still in repair beating at rock would disable me for many moons, but I fear even in your health chipping away at it may be damaging and untimely. Is there anyone here who works with the earth?"

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre

He was a whole lot less arrogant than some unicorns, at least. Still, it would have been hard to see the disheveled crafter as "arrogant" anyway. Aryel looked up as a shadow slid over the sand, watching as a hybrid she recognized as Hector landed. She grinned as he saluted her, amused at how a horse that positively dwarfed her would give her such respect. "No need for such formalities." she assured him. "Off-duty, it's just 'Aryel'." Not that they had seen much action since the Foothills raid. Nowadays, patrolling tended to make up the bulk of her on-duty work. A...a something had also arrived with him, and she sidled away from it, Java watching both it and the bird suspiciously.

She turned back to Coris as she spoke again. So he needed more ore? Her brow furrowed as she tried to recall any earth-workers in the herd. Her friend Levi could control sand, but he was recovering from a fight anyway. Her own flame magic was really quite useless in this situaton. Then, an idea struck her. "There's a gully not far from here," she said, "that still gets a trickle of water now and then. I sometimes see lumps of rock that could be ore in there, and the soil is usually pretty soft anyway. If we could figure out a way to bring it back aside from carrying it in our mouths, it wouldn't be too much trouble to dig some out." She didn't fancy pawing at the earth under the hot sun, but if Coris required their help, she would give it.

As he mention his injured leg, she looked at it quizzically. She couldn't see any surface wounds, but he did seem to move stiffly, as if it pained him. She chuckled as he cautioned them against digging as well. "I may be short, but I think I can handle some digging around in the dirt." Her spars had shaved off most excess fat and replaced it with muscle, and Hector was no doubt even stronger than her. "The question is how to move the ore once we've got it."

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>
In blood and honor, we will prevail.</style>

image by gpabill @ flickr.com
Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.