the Rift

[DROP] Feeling L U C K Y ? ]Companion Drop]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Come and see - come and see!

But what it is?

In the middle of the Woods - deep, deep within - there is a large tablet. The tablet appears entirely made of stone; roughly 1 foot wide, and 7 feet tall. Although vines have grown around it, and the area surrounding its base appear undisturbed, there simply is no way that it has been here the entire time. Either that, or the band of mercenaries who recently dwelt in these hallowed woods, are not quite as clever as they might believe, if they let it go unseen.

But there's more..

Upon the surface, appears to be an etching. It looks like a number sign, or pound key, for those of you who understand that rather homosapien terminology. For all others, it merely looks like this:
#

....Strange.

Who will be closest?
You must stay focused!
You cannot go over,
so keep your composure!

You must guess a number
And it must be under.
But under what,
I shall not say.

These words seem to permeate without sound from the stone. They are sing-song, like it's a game. But no, no. Not just any game - they stakes are high - for a it appears there is more than just bragging rights at stake.

The stone begins to pulse with a deep gray light that radiates through-out. With each pulse, it becomes apparent that there is something inside. Is it an egg? Or some small creature wrapped tightly around itself? How can it breathe in there?

Clue#1:
Although it is a round, and called like a pastry,
I wouldn't think to eat it - it wouldn't be tasty.

regularjane | Quote: Thomas Moore

Plain, Non-specific Companion
- You may choose any realistic, modern day animal to be a normal companion.
- This is a puzzle drop - your actions will influence the outcome, and the winner. Pay attention to the rules.
- You post as if any character who has gathered is in the group like a normal thread
- You have 72 hours (3 days) to respond before new responses are closed
- Do not post here unless your wishlist has had a plain, non-specific companion listed for more than 1 month.

Casimir Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
White strides through the back forest, going deeper with each step he takes, walking at a slow canter. It is dark, but not that the blind three year old would notice. His blind eyes staring into the darkness, and the only part that can see knows it is dark. A sigh escapes his lips, but there is nothing else from him. He likes being in the darkness. He finds is soothing, and for reasons unknown. He keeps moving, still enjoying the darkness, and of being alone. The silence in the forest isn’t creepy, and he feels unafraid, unlike almost every other time he is alone. For once, Casimir is at peace.

His movement continues to slow, and soon he is standing still, breathing deeply as he looks around, seeing the light forms of trees and plants, but there is nothing that alerts his ears. Hooves move, and he is walking again. However, there is something that is in his way. There is a light in the distance, and it alerts him in the darkened forest. Curious like any other horse would be, he moves slowly towards it, fear picking up in his heart. What could it possibly be? Anxiety starts to affect him and he stops again, worried if he investigates something bad would happen. No, he tells himself. I can’t be worried about everything. I must do this.

Moving at the rate of molasses, it sneaks up to the stone, and it grows brightly in front of his face. Black pistons shake, and he hears what the riddle of the stone is. He looks around, in fear as the voice comes out of nowhere. But wait. This is a riddle. Is that…an egg? A companion…I could get one! He jumps, excited. He could finally get him companion, after all this time. But he needs to think…what was the riddle talking about? The strange symbol puzzled him, and he was deeply confused. So he stands there, body about an inch from the stone, head cocked, staring at the glowing tablet in the dark woods. He thinks of an answer for the stone, and speaks it quietly.

"The number I choose is 8."

OCC: He wants a chocolate lab companion

Tingal Posts: 110
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17 hh :: 9 years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
      Tingal
      sometimes being unique takes it's toll

The quiet woods had been my hide-out recently, a place to escape. It was rare horses ventured into the eerie woods, especially because of the noises that ring out during the night. I found it somewhat soothing, the way the noises rang out. And nothing had tried to attack me, I often release a threatening growl towards any creature that comes close. Of course, I did get lonely fairly often. My thoughts had been drifting to that one mare, Irrydae. I had met her on my way to the Foothills, and I had remembered smelling her when I was there. Was she too a member of the Grey?

Pushing all thoughts away, I break into a swift gallop. I easily wove through the trees, my feline senses aided me in avoiding them. With eyes constantly watching for movement, I keep moving forward. I finally hear something, rustling. It was no small animal, it sounded like a horses' hoof steps. Perking my ears forward and flaring my nostrils, I race to the noise. I see a dapple body, belonging to a gnarly horned stallion. The way he moved was a sign he was blind or going blind.

Stepping towards him, I flick my tail towards his thigh to show there was another in his presence. Staring at the stone, I see a strange symbol. I knew the symbol, I had seen it during my travels. What had they called it though? Or... what did it represent? Pulling the memories from my head, I scan through them as though they are books on a shelf. I withdraw myself from my thoughts, unable to figure out what it was.

Who will be closest?
You must stay focused!
You cannot go over,
so keep your composure!

You must guess a number
And it must be under.
But under what,
I shall not say.

The rock... spoke? No, or did it? I watch as a gray light begins to pulse from deep within the stone. Is there... a living being... in the stone? My thoughts swiftly pass through my mind and I'm shocked. A living creature encased in stone? Not something you discover everyday. Keeping my black ears forward towards the stone, I stand beside the dappled stallion and waited. "I choose zero."

What else should I have chosen?

[[ooc: Tiger companion ;D]]

"Talk"
MoonsongStock | table by Tay

Kiara Posts: 171
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 13.2hh :: 5 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Keiran :: Black Panther :: Stormcall Emily

Her belly was rounding with the clear signs that she was in foal.. The fact tore at her as she always thought she would get a happily ever after. Perhaps she would of if she had not returned to her birth home... However that was in the past now. This was the roan's first trip outside of the Edge since her return to Helovia, and of course it was to the only other land she felt safe in. It had been the Deep Forest that had played home to the Qian long before they sought to call the World's Edge home. It was time she returned there, to see if some of the same bravery she gained there before would return.

As she entered the woods however her body tensed as if she was ready to be attacked from any side. No longer did she seem to find safety here. Perhaps she had only found it safe because Mirage had been here. Ears flicker around at the sound of voices. The first voice sounded like a riddle... Which was strange... The only voice she had heard give a riddle before was the God of the Earth... Eagerly she moved forward wondering if it was perhaps the God of the Sun speaking as the voice sounded male. One of the Gods... well other than the God of the Spark was the only male voices she would trust outside of Madryn and Maskan.

As she arrived the other two voices became clear. Two stallions had arrived before her. Her body tensed in fear, stepping backward at first to flee. No Something inside her made the fem freeze. Who was this coward she had become? The riddle was clearly for something the fem wanted, why else would she of been drawn closer. In her mind she ran the riddle over and over again. She stood in silence for quiet a while before speaking clearly. "I choose the number 6." She could only hope she was right or close enough to win whatever was held inside the rock.

"talk talk"

(ooc: black panther companion)

The Heart is Wiser than the Mind

Please Tag Kiara in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kiara at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Adrixaura Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Adrixaura
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die,
Life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly

The world hung in an dark cold. She was content where she found herself, the trees draping over her body in the dark. Her legs carried her light, body swaying with each stride. Each stride was created at an extended trot, legs that resembled an Arabian, as well as her body build. Thinnest of feathering, a thin veil, hung over her black hooves. The ends of them on her white hind legs were shorter than the front legs. An ebony tail held high in the style of a proud Arab, her colours unique as the night. Eyes coloured an eerie pale blue caught the movements of the world surrounding her. Her black mane and forelock placed perfectly, strands of her forelock covering one eye. The pelt of the mare was a sheet of white with black holes through it, only on her face, upper neck, and front legs. She was the night in a reverse, a part of like the daytime sky.
Thoughts rolled in her mind of a lost friend, one who had stayed beside her in the past, yet had died on her escape to this new place. A little male blue jay she named Myrsk, who stayed by her side from early foalhood. He was the mind of reasoning and her true best friend in the place where the world so bitter bit into her heart and turned it into a black flame. Without company she became desperate and lonely, and the recent acceptance into the Assassins brought some type of belonging in this place. Yet one like her needed permanent company.
The path through the trees and darkness turned ahead, eyes accustomed to the light here. Ahead there was the sound of others, voices, hoof beats, and a glow? Curiosity pings within her mind, working its way into her. A place like so, unlike the marsh she had visited lately, had its works of magic and trickery. A snarl came upon her face, hearing a faint male voice come forth in a sing-song voice. A riddle. It clicked in her mind, a forked tongue she wished she had rolling in her mouth with the number she wished to say. Though again, there were others here.
She comes upon them at a walk, eyes in a startling look of pleasure among others. A pregnant mare, something made her chest tighten, a blind stallion, feeling a soft spot in her heart for her little sister, born blind and how she became the child's eye, and a strange creature. Part equine, part feline. Her devil's smile swept upon the beauty of her facade, knowing what she'd say. "For the fact a number is called, I might as well say zero."
It had no bite to it, but she never meant for that to have any type of bite to it. Just a number. It held no meaning. Her eyes cast to the others, throwing them out of the picture. Other souls meant nothing to her at this moment, and conversation seemed absent-mind and useless to a creature like herself.

"blah blah blah."

OOC: A blue jay companion to replace Myrsk, if anything. <3

Lana Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I would not let fear stop me from going out although most the time I stayed high in the skies and when I did have to travel on foot I was quick and kept in the shadows, darting away from every Unicorn in sight. I kept to myself when out here, away from the Throat, although when I was at home on the sands I mostly kept to myself. Trust was more difficult because it was so called trust that have got me into the mess of being a prisoner.

The days were growing colder but in the forest, when I found myself struggling to fly and so had taken to foot, as least some of the heat from TallSun was still trapped beneath the canopy of leafs. But now eve the fresh green leavers were withering and turning into a crisp, brown color. Something was rusting the tree's though and it reach my ears and although fear was the first thought curiosity took over and I gingerly started to head in the direction it seemed to come from.

Who will be closest?
You must stay focused!
You cannot go over,
so keep your composure!

You must guess a number
And it must be under.
But under what,
I shall not say.

Though gaps in the tree's I could see other's had gathered. One a tiger but...not a tiger. Another, a spotted Equine and yet another Equine who was a roan. Then there was a stallion with curving horns. I aimed stood slightly to the side of the group, making sure I was the opposite side of the Unicorn. I hadn't been here before and so even the tree's were strange to me but I was pretty sure that a stone tablet couldn't have been here forever. I could see a strange crossed like pattern on the tablet's table top surface. What it meant I didn't know. Then there was something else that seemed to just grow from nothing and I couldn't quiet work out what it was.

I knew I had to guess a number, 'it' had said that before and this seemed to be some sort of clue. But to which number? Numbers never stopped, did they? But who said it had to be a high number? round-pastry-tasty? What did it all mean. I stood quietly to the side of the ground then speak softly. "Zero? Naught?"

[ Fox companion ]

"blah blah blah."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
image by jouste @ flickr.com</style>

Snö travels quickly towards the Dragon Throat, for most part undisturbed and unannoyed by anything, but even she is drawn by the sound of hoofbeats and the stamp of feet, the snort and sigh of many horses, the sound of murmurings and many unknown scents. A few she distinguishes- Dragon Throat, sunbaked sand and dust, salt and sea of the Edge, the wild scent of a horse roaming alone. Slowly, hesitantly, she turns towards it, venturing closer and closer, curious, so curious, of what might have called so many together quietly. She does not blink or quiver, even at the sight of such a monstrous, bizarre thing, instead turning the words around inside her head.

"There is no decent answer to this riddle. You give us but a single clue and expect us to guess, rock. Nothing rhymes with pastry. No number can be expected to connect with pastry either. As for it is round, eight, zero, six, one hundred, forty... they all have round numbers in it. If I must guess something, I say zero, you idiot rock, otherwise I would say this is impossible." Snö spat, pinning her ears slightly. This was impossible! What did they expect, for the gods' sake?! The only reason she remained for so long was for that pale egg, gleaming and just waiting to hatch, to be bonded to.

She hoped they found it out soon- she was impatient to leave and get a move on towards her 'mysterious' activities, and get away from the horses surrounding her, the beasts so unattractive and hideous to the eye.

snö.   </style>
& when she whispers, your blood shall run cold.</style>

Helovian Ancient
The answer to the first riddle was the mathematical term Pi (so 3.14). However it has been brought to my attention that not all languages pronounce this symbol as "pie", hence the clues would have been undecipherable for any who do not. Therefore, everyone will move forward

Casimir
Tingal
Kiara
Lana
Sno

Adrixuara is not eligible to participate in this drop, as you do not have a valid wishlist. Please see here for more information.

New clue and round#2 coming shortly!

Helovian Ancient

As each new number was spoken, the stone pulsed with a dull light, revealing the creature trapped within but only for seconds, before it once again was hidden in the dark.

Would the stone laugh at their responses? Would it offer some witty rapport with the creatures who had gathered? Would it perhaps engage in some philosophical banter about the ethics of keeping a creature trapped - possibly dying within its stony walls - whilst they guessed numbers, trying to answer its riddle?

Of course not. It's a stone.

Moments passed, and suddenly the # etched upon its surface glowed brightly. Let the guessing begin again...

Clue#2:
Deep thought will tell you what the meaning of life is.

Round 2
Casimir
Tingal
Kiara
Lana
Sno

You have 72 hours to respond. Round #3 will begin in the event that more than one correct answer is given, and will start once everyone has guessed, or the 72 hours has passed.

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
image by jouste @ flickr.com</style>

Why am I wasting my time here? Snö has to wonder as she waits impatiently for the dumb rock to reply. As she does so, she catches glimpse of the smooth, pale orb caught within. Her breath catches inside her chest. Whatever it is, I hope it isn't crushed. How did it get in there anyway? Was it just... shoved inside? Did eggs need to breathe? If it did, how could it? Was it just dying in there while the horses idled about thinking of an answer? For the rock, sitting there dumbly, had spat out another riddle, something about the meaning of life.

"I say 42." Snö finally answers uncertainly, thinking carefully over it. But if all the other bumbling idiots weren't going to say anything, she figured, she may as well. If only to hopefully save the little suffocating animal within its rocky grip.

What Snö really needed to do was leave. Riddles made her head ache and throb, the world revolve around her. All she could focus on was that faintly glowing sign, lines crossing over each other and intersecting. The light was growing dimmer as time passes, and Snö didn't have time to waste sitting about on her ass. She would prefer to not waste any more idling time distant from the Basin. The sooner she could return to the glacial home, the better. Days were becoming shorter, nights longer, and on top of that, she still needed to seek out a decent source of information before returning.

snö.   </style>
& when she whispers, your blood shall run cold.</style>

dark
      Tingal

All these new horses seemed to come, surrounding the stone like hungry vultures surround carcasses. They seemed drawn to the magic that coursed through the stone, and the small life that was encased inside of it's rough, cold surface.

The stone's odd etching glowed brighter and brighter with everyone's answer. It instantly dimmed after only a few moments, leaving the area dark. There was still a dim pulse, but it was faint. The little, frail body was illuminated slightly from within the stone.

Fear engulfed me, and my eyes were settled upon the stone as I stood in front of it, although I had backed myself up a few lengths. Strange how so many horses had gathered all because of the magic that emitted from the stone. It was like a magnet, attracting everyone to it. But, I had been one of the victims to it's strong powers. I had come, like scavengers surround a dead creature.

With my eyes narrowed, I listen to the next clue. The white mare answers, and I had the same idea. "I must also say 42." I pipe up, only seconds after the mare finished speaking. I wanted to rescue the poor little creature that was entrapped, unable to breath. What could possibly be entrapped in the stone anyway? Surely the stone did not just snatch up a little creature so that we mortal horses would come and save it? I was ready to just begin shouting at the stone if it didn't release the creature soon.

And by this, I mean... now.

Impatience and fear were colliding, fighting deep within my gut. I was nervous, scared, I feared the future of the small life within the stone. I stepped forward, green eyes set on the stone. I didn't bother interrogating it, it could do something horrible to me.... or the little creature within it. Oh Gods, please... allow me to save this creature from this stone.... I murmur within my mind, biting my lower lip in frustration.

"Talk"

A sharp kick inside her belly told of the growing child. Soon she would be delivering a new life, but not today and not here. No for now it seemed Kiara was in a battle of wits with many others. The rock seemed to approve of almost everyone's answers... It gave off a new clue as well... Deep thought will tell you the meaning of life... or it was something like that. As the rock had been asking for a number before Kiara could only assume he.. or she... or well it also wanted a number now as well.

Before the red roan could speak her own answer, two of the others spoke before her. They both gave the same answer she had come to as well. If it was wrong well she would not be alone in her embarrassment. "I also believe the answer you seek is 42." Her voice was soft and quiet, barely above a whisper. She was not comfortable with so many strangers... let alone males... near her. What would happen if one decided to attack her just for being female? Would the other mare stay and help her or would she run for her own safety? None here seemed to be from the Edge... So that meant none were from the Qian... Could she really believe any of them would not harm her? Could she really believe any of them would not harm her? Her body language said it all. The sooner all of this guessing and riddle business was over the better. She was ready to return to the safety of the Edge and not leave it again for a while.

"talk talk"

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kiara at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Unregistered
And suddenly, there were others. He felt the tip of something soft on his side, and when he looked, there was a tiger. A TIGER. He jumped, panicking a bit. But the eyes of the tiger were not on him, but that of the stone. He was still nervous, and four others came. Now the panic was with him, and he moved backwards a few steps from the tiger, and a couple of feet from the others. He was quite alarmed. There was a simple equine, another unicorn, and then a pegasus. He didn’t care to know who they were right now. He only felt like hiding, and it was then that the stone spoke again.

What is the answer to life? It was a number, he knew that, but what did a number have to do with life? He pondered this, but he just couldn’t think of anything. But, every other one answered before him, and their answer was all the same. 42. 42? Why 42? He was confused, but then he started thinking about it…and didn’t get it. There was no way he wanted out of this, and so he did what any rational horse would have: copied off the answer.

“I too, magical glowing stone, choose the number 42.”

There, simple and sweet, and no one would notice hopefully. But his answer was something he had to put, since everyone else was saying it. He really wanted, no, needed his companion. He wanted to see again, since it has been so long, and although he knew he could never fully escape it, he would be able to see normally again someday through her. Misty would be her name, and he already loved her more than she would ever know. He started at the egg from the distance, looking it over. Misty.

Helovian Ancient
The correct answer was not given. All who posted within the time-limit will advance to round three. I advise you to read the instructions in the opening post very carefully.

Round 3
Casimir
Tingal
Kiara
Sno

Round 3 beginning shortly!

Helovian Ancient

As each gave their answer, 42, 42, 42, 42,.. the stone remained silent and dark. Were they doing something wrong? 42 was the answer, wasn't it? So why wasn't the stone opening?! Again, the cryptic words were before were repeated:

Who will be closest?
You must stay focused!
You cannot go over,
so keep your composure!

You must guess a number
And it must be under.
But under what,
I shall not say.

Light bloomed within the stone, but this time it was fainter - and the pulsing within did not last nearly as long. The creature as well, no longer stirred when light flooded its chamber. The hour is growing late friends, guess wisely.

Clue#3:

Once there was 1 more, but consider too small
If 1 has life, I wonder, do they all?
Some are hot and some are cold,
Some are gas, but all are old.

Round 3
Casimir
Tingal
Kiara
Sno

You have 48 hours to respond. Round #4 will begin in the event that more than one correct answer is given, and will start once everyone has guessed, or the 48 hours has passed.

Unregistered
The draft was all but puzzled now. What? How? When? Where? Why? He was confused beyond belief, but he at least had to try his hardest. He was deep in thought, but none of the clues of the stone made sense. Was this all just some sort of pointless game that would have no outcome? The number used was one, and it had to be less than one, under one…what was less than one?

“I’m sorry stone, but I’m starting to get lost. If this is my final answer, then it is zero. Otherwise, I’m afraid I have no more answers for you.”

Beyond this, he started to lose hope. What if this wasn’t enough? Misty, I’m sorry he said silently in his head. He arose, still away from the others, but he stood up straight and looked at the stone. His face was solemn, and he waited for the answers of the others and that of the stone. He thought of his brothers, and how happy they were with their companions. And Evers, on his own quest for a companion of his own.

How quickly things had changed. He was always disconnected it had seen, and outcast, and now he was back, moving his way forward. The burden that had been there since he was born was gone, and now it was just he and his brothers. They were the family he had always wanted, and always needed, and he could finally feel at peace with what had happened in his earlier life. He couldn’t imagine it any other way, beside his little chocolate lab beside him.

dark
      Tingal

My gods! This stone was stubborn! I was ready to begin screaming at it, the way it repeated it's first rhyme and spoke another clue. But this clue, made absolutely no sense. It was trying to kill the poor creature within it's cold walls. Flaring my black nostrils, I narrow my green eyes. I lashed my tail, annoyed at the stone. With my black ears flicked back, this time I was positive this stone was speaking of the number zero. Or was it?

Well.... it could be. I mean, zero is an old number, and if I'm correct, the first rhyme said you had to guess under one number, so if I guess zero... that's under the number one. Yes? But gases and.... hot and cold? Could it be some odd.... large number or something? There's a 1/infinite chance that I'm going to get this right. So... what do I guess?! Zero... two? One? four-hundred fifty-five?! What do I do?! I'm caught up in my own thoughts, but when the stallion speaks, I tilt my head, listening to his words. He said zero... so.... did he think about it as well? Or am I just being crazy?

Inhaling, I speak. "Dearest stone, your clues are getting harder and harder to understand. And besides... there are plenty of numbers that could fit this answer. Such as four-hundred fifty-nine.... or maybe even two. I could go on forever about the possible numbers, but there is a life at stake so I shall make this quick. My answer... is also zero."

Wow, I had rambled for quite a bit. But... I suppose I was anxious... and nervous. I just wanted this freaking stone to crack open and let me take the poor animal that was locked up inside. Oh yes... wouldn't it be splendid if the creature it held was a young tiger? Yes.... a young tiger would be nice. Maybe a little Bengal... or.... a Southern China tiger! Yes, yes, that sounded good, very good indeed. My black lips curled into a smile. Now I had to see if any one of us was correct, well... if I was correct.

My stomach tied itself in knots, and I began biting my lower lip. My pristine white fangs sunk into the dark flesh, and small beads of blood began to form. My tongue lapped the beads of blood up slowly as I gazed at the stone. I didn't realize it, but I had begun walking towards the stone. I stopped myself, and began digging into the ground. My tail lashed, and sweat droplets were sliding down my shoulders.

"Talk"

Kiara</style>
World's Edge Nurse
----------------------
wake me up
wake me up inside
I can’t wake up
wake me up inside
save me
call my name and save
me from the dark
</style>

The rock seemed to glow faintly before repeating what it had given them in the beginning. What was she missing here?

"Who will be closest?
You must stay focused!
You cannot go over,
so keep your composure!

You must guess a number
And it must be under.
But under what,
I shall not say."

So annoyingly cryptic. They all seemed to be wrong. None of them giving right answers. Some gave up and simply seemed to walk away. Others gave a final answer, seeming as if that they were wrong again they to would walk away. This time however she was not going to walk away. Inside her, the unborn child kicked as if to say he or she was bored with standing around. The little roan did not let it sway her choice. She was staying until that rock gave up whatever was inside of it. In her mind she turned over every single clue.

The latest clue was the most confusing of them all. what was this rock getting at with all these numbers?

It was clear the answer was a number, but what number was it? There were so many! Two of the others had also not given up, but given an answer that had already been given. No, she was not going to copy them. If she lost or was wrong, so be it. Fate had never been kind to her why would that change now. Green eyes hardened as she spoke. "I am more than likely wrong, as fate is never nice to me. The clues you give are harder each time. But I choose the number two."

"Sed interdum rutrum urna, sed pellentesque sapien tempor in."

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
cliff image by John and Tina Reid at gettyimages.com

Helovian Ancient
Congratulations Kiara!

Explanation of the Puzzle

The goal of this puzzle drop, was to pick a number which was less than (but closest to) the number hinted at in the clue. This is described in the opening thread (as bolded below):

Who will be closest?
You must stay focused!
You cannot go over,
so keep your composure!

You must guess a number
And it must be under.
But under what,
I shall not say.

Each clue hints at a different number per round.

Round #1

The number here was 3.14, or Pi, which is a mathematical symbol representing the circumference of a circle, hence it is round. Commonly, it is pronounced "pie" (hence called like a pastry), but as this is not the pronunciation everywhere, everyone moved forward regardless of their guess.

Round #2

You all correctly guessed that the number referred to was 42, but failed to guess a number under 42, as per the original instructions. Given that no one correctly guessed, you all moved forward.

Round #3

This refers to the planets in our solar system. Pluto used to be considered a planet, but due to its size, has been removed (there was 1 more, but considered too small) - The second line refers to the Earth having life, and the last two lines refer to the composition of the different planets. The correct answer was 8, so any answer under 8 would be acceptable to move forward. However, as Kiara was closest (as outlined in the first thread, and reiterated here), she is the winner.

As Kiara spoke, the stone suddenly burst with a blinding light. It fissured through each crack in the stone, threatening to explode from within. A frantic scraping sound can be heard from within, as the small creature inside, with renewed energy, triers to escape. The stone begins to hum as the light encapsulates it completely. Louder and louder it grows, as it begins to shake. Small chunks begin to break off from the sides, as it slowly begins to crumble. Finally, the stone can withstand the force no longer, and it splits evenly into two equal pieces, leaving a dark ball of fur sitting in between.

With large eyes, the form stands, revealing a baby panther, as dark as the night itself. With wandering eyes, it searches with a lost gaze at the creatures assembled before it. With a yowl, it runs to Kiara, taking shelter beneath her body.