the Rift

[OPEN] On my own

Lana Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My heart was pounding against my chest, sweat coated my body and tears welled in my eyes. The sight of sand had caused me to become faster then I thought I could go and only now did I realise how much I missed the Throat. I never thought that boiling heat and the unchanging rolls of sand could be such a pleasant sight but they were. I draw down, preparing to land. The sand on my hoofs felt so unnatural now that I was used to the stone, cold, hard flooring of the cave. The sand shifted under my weight and almost as soon as I had landed I collapsed.

I had changed. If not for the worse, for the better but still, I couldn't be sure which. I knew never to trust anyone, and I wouldn't. I may like them, yes, but some where inside me all the trust I ever had had been locked away and the key thrown somewhere and despite how much I tried to find it I just couldn't. It was like there never was one. All who I had met in the Basin seemed driven by hatred. Every single one of them. Even the spotted stallion who, although seemed kinder then the rest, must still have hatred lingering for me in his black heart.

Another thing was to get a map. It was getting lost that had caused me to be taken there in the first place and now...I roll my body into a more comfortable position and look at my belly before flopping back down again...Now this. A foal. A foal that I couldn't take care of. I, although I was able to breed, felt to young and it didn't seem fair on the foal. And maybe if I hadn't just been let out from the Basin from being a prisoner I wouldn't of doubted my skills as a mother so much. But I did.

I lay flat out. My eyes closed and the large lake that was below the mound of sand I had flopped on became fuzzy and blurred as did everything else. My eyes flickered constantly. I wanted to sleep so badly. It had been weeks before I had had a decent sleep at all but now there was something in my mind telling my not to let my guard down. Not until I spot someone I know. Levi, Aryel, Note, Athena, anyone! Athena...Where had I seen her last? With a sudden shock I realise she was still trapped at the Basin. Guilt then took over me and my guard fell, allowing me to fall to sleep. But it was no peaceful sleep. I kicked about. My eyes rolling back widely under my closed eye lids and my head tossing back every ow and then, rubbing sand into my mane. Despite the images in my head though I couldn't seem to wake.

[ Lana has just got out of the Basin, got lost and been made pregnant...Yeah she has had it tough lately:/ btw she is not dying just...very very tired and...very very depressed. ]

"blah blah blah."

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

Throughout the hustle and bustle of business in Dragons Throat, it seemed Africa had slipped through the kingdom’s midst mostly unnoticed. The dapple grey mare had milled about the oasis alone for perhaps a week now, though she was not counting, learning what she could by way of private exploration about the surrounding desert and beyond. She was never disheartened by the apparent lack of interest, Africa was young and forgiving, and she could only assume that her arrival was of trivial nature compared to the preparation of invincible soldiers (like Midas who had invited her to the Throat, and had already defended her against foe), and undoubtedly profound discussions between dignitaries. So far that was her understanding of life in a kingdom- she was yet to find a tutor and begin the schooling she so desperately craved, thus delaying all true understanding.

Africa was not from Helovia- she was a completely clean, unmarred slate, and the region in its entirety held her vivid imagination captivated. There were so many elements (some she knew of, some were still a marvellous mystery waiting to be unfurled) that she yearned to discover- magic perhaps holding the greatest fascination. Still, and despite the young mare’s very obvious enthusiasm to begin, she wore her patience like a dignified cloak, not wishing to disturb her brethren while all attention was pressed into other matters.

It was mid afternoon and a dusty dryness soured Africa’s tongue. She had not yet fully acclimatised to the unusual conditions of the Throat- the lifeless arid desert air suspended indefinitely throughout the vibrant, well sized oasis; then, and most frequently as evening rolled into the vicinity, blasting ocean gales spewing bitter salt wherever it reached. The mare’s skin was already dry and itchy from the harsh contrast of her environment, but she had found alleviation for this, travelling to the shift of lush grass to slippery red sand and rolling at length. She was learning quickly.

Africa’s hooves pressed gently against the softly yielding lawn as she followed a well worn trail towards the lake. It was one she travelled once, maybe twice daily because so far her thirst seemed unquenchable. It wasn’t a long distance from where she had been admiring decorating clusters of annuals (a strong love for nature, flowers and the like flowed through her veins), and as she approached from the north-east fringe of the Throat a collapsed body grasped her attention.

At first she was rather bewildered by the horse, which was very much living. It was jerking, kicking; even thrashing about where it lay. Africa paused mid-stride after moving to only a small distance away. Concern leaked through the confused young horse’s mind and she crept still closer breathing heavily through fluttering nostrils, hoping that perhaps if she were imprisoned in some terrible nightmare, Africa might be able to rescue her. “Fear not...” She whispered ignorantly, lowering her twitching muzzle, all the while observing the other horse cautiously through tender eyes. “You are safe!” She tried again a little louder, hoping intently to reassure the sleeping mare and dodging readily as the other whipped her head back.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Unregistered

Fear grasped my heart, even in the nightmare that I was being force to watch. With each passing image fear gripped tighter and tighter, squeezing my heart with a grasp that burnt into my heart that would leave scars there forever more. Emotional scars. One's that, yes may get better, but no, would never be forgotten or completely heal. For one reason or another I am running. Running from a dark wood with tree's that were reaching out, trying to grab me and drag me back into it. Fire seemed to be burning behind me as well but for some reason the twisted tree's didn't seem to be affected by it. The direction in which I was running to was bright, full of hope and beauty but despite my running I never seemed to reach it. Thinking about it, it was obvious why I was running.

“Fear not...You are safe!” Suddenly I wake and in a flash my kicking legs aid me to lift myself up quickly, kicking up sand as I did and then hastily stumbling back so that I had the mare in full view. She was without a horn, which I was glad about. Grey mixed with other shades on her coat, her tail dark with red braids and her mane not so dark but more of a moose color. She seemed kind but that did not matter to me. Trust no one. The three simple words ran wild round my head. My rugged neck was held high and my stance defensive with my ears pointing back sharply. I am still, the odd shiver running though my spin but apart from that my lips do not part and my stance is fixed solid in the sand.

I must of looked a mess. Despite having time to clean myself before finding my way back here (after I had suspectedly become pregnant) I had come to a clear like and I had manged to bath a bit to clean up my coat and hopefully untangle my mane a bit. But I hadn't been in for long and so was still a bit of a mess and nothing like the rather pretty filly I normally was, although I was dry now. My eyes were fixed on this mare now. She seemed no threat but only willing to help and I could at least try my best to talk to her and not be rude. I take a shaky breath before stuttering words. "L..l..la..lana...." My voice trails of and I take another deep, shaky breath.

"blah blah blah."

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre

The scarlet rain. What had it meant? No sooner had she found her friend and fellow Sergeant Levi alive and well did it begin to rain red, spattering the ground near the oasis with crimson. Even more frightening had been the acrid, metallic taste of the rain. Blood. She suppressed a shiver at the thought. Was it an omen of some sort, of terrible things to come? Whatever happened, she needed to steel herself and do what was necessary to protect the Throat. That had become her maxim. Whatever happened, the Dragon's Throat was her responsibility.

It had taken days and countless baths in sand and the sea to get the stains out of her coat. The oasis no longer looked red-tinted, but the water still had an unpleasant taste. She had yet to see Kri anywhere, and it worried her. The brown mare had been a role model for Aryel since she joined the herd, and her loyalty was unwavering. She would know what to do.

If only Aryel could find her.

What she did find, however, was a young black filly that she had feared she would never see again. She went stock-still, taking in the sight of Lana and a grey mare she did not recognize. Lana. Lana was free. She was home! With a delighted whinny, she kicked up her heels and galloped towards the two. "Lana, you're okay!" she laughed, slowing to a trot to approach the filly and curving her neck over Lana's in a brief equine hug. Stepping backs, she beamed at the mare. "How'd you get out?" She was interrupted when a large flying fox jumped from his perch on her neck and fluttered over to Lana, hovering in front of her nose for a few seconds to lick her muzzle with his pink tongue, then land on her withers. Java did not know the mare well, but what he could glean from Aryel's mind was that she was a dear friend. He liked the soft-spoken filly anyway.

It was then that Aryel seemed to notice the unknown mare, and turned to face her, clearing her throat in a slightly embarrassed manner. "I apologize for not introducing myself." she said, grinning. "I'm Aryel, Sergeant of the Dragon's Throat. I don't think I've seen you around before. Are you a new herd member?"

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>
In blood and honor, we will prevail.</style>

image by gpabill @ flickr.com
Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>
    My friends, I am only flesh and bone, but I won't let you die alone.</style>

The wind begins to swell.

It is then that the robust sound of chocolate feathered wings snap in the air, and I descend, finding my eyes upon the sight of a mare who had gone missing from the herd for some time. I was not one to investigate long absences with little to no substantial proof, for I am no tyrant who demanded that all in her borders would remain until they reached their death beds. However, by the shaking gait and overall defeated stoop of the young mare as she walks within the red sands, I am instantly drawn to land beside her, finding that a small crowd had begun to grow already.

My gray hooves crack down, and the red sand sprays forth as my hooves carry me forward to usurp the distance between us, coming to a steady halt beside Aryel, my dark eyes heavy with concern for the younger girl. I had never met her face to face, surely, but that was the case for many. In fact, most did not even know that I took notice of the movements across my borders, watching the bodies which move like grains of sand in the wind in and out. I knew her, Lana, just as I knew Africa. They were family to me, though we had never formally met. Family bound to me with strong ties. I would lay down my pride, my heart, in order to bring them to safety.

No matter who they were.

"Lana," I say, my gruff voice quiet with the hushed tone of the mood. "Are you in need of a healer, sister?" I ask, my face soft, despite my overall rugged exterior. How did you get out? I hear the words call from the lips of the blue girl at my side, turning to look at Aryel with a confused look. Out of where? Where had she been? My ears flick back, looking at my Sergeant, my attention turning away from Lana even as my eyes become cold as ice.

When my voice comes out now, it is uncomfortably heavy. "Aryel," my voice a thin warning. "Where has she been, and why was it not reported to your superiors?" I wore the title of Commander, did I not? Surely, my soldiers were not hoarding information about the whereabouts of my beloved family from me. Surely, they would not be so petulant. Surely, they would not be so fucking stupid as to not tell me when our kin are in danger.

Right?
""

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Sun saturated the oasis and Africa’s glossy grey feathers reflected the lustre of the day as they ruffled with warm carefree contentedness. Completely oblivious to the spoil of torture, and of clean, childlike character, the young mare studied the strange melancholy drowning the black filly’s eyes as they met with her own, thoughtfully tender gaze. Confused concern curled the corners of Africa’s mouth into a caring smile and she wanted to reach forward to brush the distress from the filly’s face. Bathed in ignorant hesitation though, she withheld the gesture, they were after all strangers and Africa knew not where she stood exactly in her new family; this alien environment which Midas had offered to her as home.

The dark charcoal grey tips of her ears prick forward when the younger horse offers something of a fractured word- Africa did not understand and her eyes searched desperately between the withered look of her company for reason or meaning. ”I’m sorry I...” She began to say gently and apologetically, but her own words were lost to the elated whinny of another. The abrupt eruption of galloping hooves drew Africa’s attention suddenly and she turned her head sharply to discover the slowing arrival of a blue roan mare. The stranger laughed generously, affirming that the filly’s wellbeing was ok. The grey mare flicked her tail uncertainly at this because she supposed the grim opposite- she did not divulge the thought though, as the cheerful sound flooded the tranquillity surrounding the sandy hillock above the blue lake. Shy nervousness swallowed Africa as a warm embrace was given to the upset youngster, and she smiled outwardly- awkwardly, enjoying the very obvious love shared between the two. Settling herself backwards against the tense pinch of her hocks, she glanced left casually and allowed the blue mare and the filly some privacy in their moment.

The deliberate distraction did not last though, as an animal which had escaped Africa’s untrained awareness removed itself from the newest visitor’s neck, where it had apparently been cloaked by long dark mane. The creature had the face of a fox, though its eyes were far wider and sweeter in appearance, and ugly naked wings, she thought secretly- naturally favouring feathered beauty. It seemed to cling to the mare with a bizarre hook halfway down each wing; no forelegs at all, and very short back legs, if they were not just feet instead. As it fluttered across to ‘Lana’ (the fractured word that Africa had been given was the child’s Name!), she noticed its neck was burnt orange in colour, rich and beautiful compared to the scrubby black coat blanketing the rest of its body. How strange, the naive horse pondered, lost in silence and recalling the smouldering bird creature which had accompanied Midas to Helovia’s brim. The animal landed atop Lana’s withers comfortably, seeming to be most at home. Maybe it actually belonged to the filly, and they had been separated at some point.

Africa shook her head, clearing the cloud of thoughts as they began to clutter her focus.

All reunions aside but only a second later, the blue roan Pegasus turned to look at Africa, who rather felt like a third wheel and should have liked very much to have slipped off at that point to leave them to it. The grey mare quickly attuned to the other horse’s light embarrassment though, and blushed in the same fashion, perhaps because she herself had not presented with a polite exchange sooner. A contagious grin remained plastered blatantly over Aryel’s face however, and Africa too beamed, unable to steer her own emotions around the other mare’s sheer happiness. “I am Africa.” She replied gushingly, all nervousness quashed by the genuine quality of the Sergeant’s introduction. Quickly and instinctually she shifted an eye to check on the filly, but she need not have, it was all too obvious that she was dearly loved and would unquestioningly be safe from now on. “New to Dragons Throat, yes.” Africa finished, more than pleased to meet Aryel, but the lasting string of her voice was broken.

More suddenly than Aryel’s arrival on the scene, another mare descended upon the little gathering, and the chatter ceased in an instant. An eerily silencing gust came with her, dragging at the prickles which had tangled in Africa’s mane during exploration. The mare was chocolate brown, and as the grey horse watched the newest move to the side of Aryel, she was struck by the contrasting loveliness of flaxen mane swimming against the motion of her bobbing neck. Africa thought she perceived a seriousness secreting from this horse- nobility perhaps, it was similar to the way she remembered Midas, only he had been warmer with an inviting approach. The brown horse’s eyes seemed to hold the same concern that had swelled within Africa- before she had been sidetracked by Aryel’s delight in seeing Lana again.

Africa’s weight shifted in the supple sand, unbalanced by the change in tone, though at the suggestion of a healer her ears flickered with keen interest. It was far from the right opportunity for her to speak though, and she let herself fall into a humble motionlessness. There was a definite warning tone underlying the brown mare’s following words, and Africa grew uncomfortable; a little insecure- intimidated perhaps by the unfolding situation which she did not understand.

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava
 Levi</style>

Levi felt awful and not physically awful, but mentally. Levi had missed so much since he had been gone, it was almost as though it was all a dream and nothing was real anymore. This was the hardest Levi had ever run before, and since he knew that Tio was still on the loose and Lana was missing he was going to find her and make sure that she was alright. If he had known before that she was stolen then there would not have been a question that he would have gone to any herd no matter what to consequences. Lana was Levi’s adopted daughter and he would not stop until he made sure she was safe… he promised her and he let her down. Levi knew that Lana was going to hate him for sure, but he didn’t know that she was taken! And it all happened so quickly… like the sand that fell beneath his hooves.

Anxious breathing was getting worse and worse as he made his way towards the oasis. Levi was in no mood to fly because he knew that he might get tired again and lose control of flight. He knew running would be better and quicker. He hoped to find Midas, Kri, or Aryel on the way, just someone who would be willing to go with him. Of course he needed to tell Kri.. . Oh shit. That would take so long though and this was an emergency he needed to find Lana.

Large saltines of tears tricked down his cheeks as he made his way faster and faster. Suddenly he heard voices. The voice of Kri stuck out like a sore thumb. Making his way towards the sound he suddenly recognized the party that surrounded someone. Aryel, Kri, and maybe a new horse, but they were all surrounding someone… who? Making his way towards the circle, Levi did not even have to look before he realized that Lana was there. She was alive! “Lana!” Levi screamed gasping for air. Making his way to her, he wrapped his wings around her figure hugging her with a gentle but supporting force. He could be any more relieved. “Where were you? Aryel told me that you had been taken and I didn’t know. Lana I.. I swear I would have come for you… but I was hit badly. I was in a fight with a horse named Tio, he is a threat to our herd and I lost control of my magic and I don’t kn-know what happened!” Tears now poured down his cheeks like a river. “I’m so sorry Lana.” Levi could not even bare to look at Kri or Aryel. He looked like a baby, helpless, and innocent. He knew that he needed to keep emotions tucked away, but he really could not help it. “Kri and Aryel, please forgive me in accusable behavior, but I didn’t know anything. I didn’t even know about the fight with the foothills until Aryel had told me. I didn’t know about Lana either and as soon as I found out I came to look for her… I just I don’t know what to do anymore.”

He was a nervous wreck… and he did not know what he was going to do.

"blah blah blah."

Unregistered

I felt bad to be instantly so negative about the Pegasus mare. My ears unpin a bit and I try to relax but truly I can feel myself breaking down, but I couldn't, I wouldn't. I lower my head slightly whilst she spoke, she didn't finish though and I was left wondering what she was going to say but there was a reason she did not finish. My head turn's to the side slightly to see a blur of blue heading my way, which I instantly recognize as Aryel. My head lifts slightly and a small smile flickers from my lips at the sound of her laughing voice. It was good to here someone laughing again but still, that didn't block out the guilt that still pounded on at me. She had fought for me, injured herself and lost. Not only had I caused her pain but probably also embarrassment. But I knew that, even one fight, did not determine if you were good or not and I knew she was more then good, she was amazing.

The warmth from her when she 'hugged' me made me relax instantly. I was safe here, in the Throat. Then there was another unexpected arrival. A chocolate figure with a creamy mane swooping down. My attention diverts to here. I had seen her though never spoke to her in person. It was Kri. I knew nothing of what she was like and so I didn't have a opinion on her except for respect for being such a great leader. She speaks softly, asking if a healer was needed. I shake my head along with the words, "No, I...I think I am alright that you." I offer her a small smile, trying to prove that I was ok because I was pretty sure I was. On the outside anyway, emotional pain could not be healed like that.

My eyes flicker to Aryel."How'd you get out?" My eyes flicker back to Kri, noting the change in her tone. "Where has she been, and why was it not reported to your superiors?" There was another ping of guilt. Kri's tone had a edge to it, a warning in it. The guilt was becoming greater with each passing second. I knew how devoted Aryel was to the herd and how much she respected her leader but now it seemed she was going to have some unwanted, harsh, stern words thrown at her, all because of me, words pour out all at once and I side step so that I am facing Kri, more head on, my words to defend Aryel and although they were shaky I was determined to have my say. "Kri please, it was not Aryel's fault I disappeared without trace. I...I was just...I was just exploring...and then...and then... " I look down at the ground, nearly allowing tears to roll down my cheeks, but I refused and to stop them I look back up at her. "She tried to help, when she knew..she did. She fought her hardest to free me and Athena-" My voice cut's of. One reason because I remembered Crowley's threat if I told anyone anything. Had I just given away that Athena was there? But that was not the most important reason I had stopped talking.

Levi! It was Levi! I forgot that I hadn't finished of what I was saying, it was Levi, he was here! I galloped up to meet him though I didn't have to go far since he had been thundering along. He seemed to be gasping for breath when he screamed my name. A huge wing was draped over me as a hug. I pressed my body close to his. He seemed in a state, a bad one. Words fired from his mouth and it was now that tears were rolling down my cheeks. I had never herd of the stallion Tio he had talked of but I hated him already. He had hurt Levi, and was a threat to my home, our home. “I’m so sorry Lana.” More tears tumble down my cheeks and they didn't seem to stop. I forgot every one around me although I was grateful for knowing each of them. Africa because I had a new friend? I hoped. Kri because she was my leader. Aryel because she was such a brilliant person and a hero. And Levi? So may reasons. Levi because although we were not technically related I could still call him my dad and I knew, no matter what, he would always be there for me. "Levi, it's ok...you did nothing wrong. Protecting the herd is all you wanted to do and...and you do it so well. I love you." I pressed my body closer to his.

"blah blah blah."

[ OMG I am so sorry for how long and drabby this post is D: ]

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Africa? She committed the name to memory, linking it with the grey mare. She found it good to know the names of as many herd horses as she could. "Welcome, then." she said, the joy from Lana's return bubbling up into a warm grin. Before she could speak further, the sand beneath their hooves was whipped up by gusts of wind, heralding the arrival of their commander. Kri was here. Anxiety rose in the roan's chest, anxious to tell her about the Basin and the red rain. Before she could greet her, though, Kri seemed to be shaken by her previous words, and her normally stern but fair gaze became infinitely more hostile. Aryel almost flinched away, having forgotten how intimidating Kri's glare could be when it was directed at her. At her almost accusing tone, panic prickled her neck. Kri didn't honestly think she would have purposely withheld something like that?! Lana's tearful explanation helped, but she needed to speak herself. "Lana was being held as a prisoner in the Aurora Basin, as is Athena." she tried to explain, tail lashing as the familiar anger rose within her. "I only recently found out, I swear. I saw her near the border and joined her, but then this unicorn with freakish glass horns showed up and tried to scare me out. And then another one, a mare." she shuddered involuntarily. "She had some sort of fog around her, and it just...suddenly I couldn't even control my own limbs. And then the bay challenged me to a fight, so we went at it," Here she sighed, looking away. "and I was defeated. I've been meaning to put together a group of soldiers to retrieve them, and I needed to find you to ask permission." The fact that Lana was back safe was great, but if Athena was still there, they needed to help her as quickly as possible.

Recalling the rain, she leaned in closer to Kri and spoke in a conspiratorial whisper. "And Commander, there's something else Levi and I need to tell you. Once they're gone." Why create pandemonium with the news of the blood that had fallen from the sky? Better to keep it under wraps until they knew what to do.

A shout drew her attention to the grullo stallion thundering towards them. She stepped aside to allow Lana to gallop towards him, and watched as she and Levi had their tearful reunion. She wanted to slip a wing over her upset friend, but felt that the two needed a moment together. She was aware of the bond between Levi and Lana, and respected it. But finally, her curiosity got the better of her. "Lana, how'd you escape?"

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>
    My friends, I am only flesh and bone, but I won't let you die alone.</style>

"SHUT THE FUCK UP," I yell, my voice directed at the stallion who has broken down into tears beside me. "Are you even a man?" I ask, brutish and cold as I glare at him with annoyed dark eyes. I do not know when he even arrived, but his wordy chattering is setting my teeth more on edge. Why were both of my Sergeants complete and total blithering idiots? Had the Sun God taken their brains from them as a joke? If so, I will have to kick him straight in the ass later. Either way, my ears have flattened against my skull.

I look at him with all seriousness as he sobs and cries and whines about being misplaced in life. Losing a fight to Tio was definitely embarrassing, but was it really worth losing your direction? "You do your job, idiot," I say, my voice cutting, sharp, and flat like the edge of a blade. "Patrol the borders, keep them safe. Keep your family safe. Alright?" My eyes have softened some, taking pity on the way he looks like he is about to collapse into a puddle of tears and anxious energy, before turning back toward the girl who had whined out in Aryel's defense.

Her body was tense, frightened even, and I frown. I have no idea what the fuck is going on, but I feel like Africa and I are the only ones not informed. Why am I, the Leader of this place, standing lost and confused about what has happened between my soldiers and one of my kin? Athena. Athena is missing as well, apparently to wherever the hell Lana was. I turn back to look at Aryel with cold, unyielding eyes. Let her boil under the weight of my glare if she wants; it's her own damned fault. Finally, she begins to shed light on the situation, and I listen with rapt attention, though the annoyance coiling around me with thrashing winds is a sign that I am still not calm.

Held prisoner in the Aurora Basin. I listen dumbly for the last part, about her failed attempt to fight. Both she and Levi losing battles - this simply would not do. "That fucking whore," I say under my breath, nearly quivering with rage as I snort into the air at the end of Aryel's speech. When she whispers in my ear, it is like the nattering of a fly. Annoying and irrelevant.

"You and Levi will remain here," I say, my voice harsh, cool, and ultimately issuing a command. "Tell Midas that I have gone to the Basin to straighten out that lying sleezebag that wears a crown. If I don't return within a weeks time, feel free to send a rescue party. Otherwise, stay clear. You two are to do nothing without explicit permission from your superiors."

With that, I turn tail, my hooves clapping like thunder as I launch myself in the air, a boiling fit of rage and practically steaming from the head as I make my way north. The frigid tundra should be a good enough place to cool my head and kick some ass.
""

[ Angry Kri out on a mission. ]

Deceased

Look down
Look up

When the fourth addition to the emotional party appeared, Lana burst out from the grip of fuss surrounding her. They met head on only a very small distance from the body of the group, and again hugs and fondness were exchanged. To Africa it seemed as though she had quite inconveniently (no matter how unintentional), placed herself in the midst of an aftershock of sorts, following some abhorrent incident which had recently taken place. She tightened the clasp of her wings, so that they hugged her barrel a little closer.

Then quite shockingly, Kri (Lana had named her) lifted her voice above the rest. She seemed angry, like she had heard enough. Africa balked away from the suddenness of the yell, quickly noting that the mare did not appreciate the frilly, verbose attitude which had seized hold of the proceedings. She was intimidated certainly, it was unavoidable, and was inwardly relieved not to be the focus of her aggravation- that poor snivelling stallion. Perhaps, the grey horse pondered secretly, she would avoid Kri after this meeting, and whatever profession the chocolate coloured mare held here in the Throat, Africa would probably busy herself with just the opposite. Kri then switched the clearly unimpressed focus of her attention to the black filly, Lana and quickly on to Aryel again, when the (according to Africa) friendliest of the group began to speak. Africa was surprised by the blue roan’s strikingly submissive stance, and she wondered if Kri was actually a figure of authority; a ‘boss’ she mused with a childish tinge to the thought. The rough twisting of sand-laced wind about her unyielding presence could certainly have passed as an indicator for this.

Bemused by the passionate rollercoaster of feelings the grey interloper grew increasingly uncomfortable, her tail twitching nervously as the turn of events was revealed at length by Aryel. Africa felt as though she was in violation of some unspoken code of confidentiality, the concept of prisoners, and battles for their freedom bubbling new surreal images through her simple, untouched mind. She felt herself shrinking backwards, her hind legs sinking slightly as the sand slipped from around the rearward shift of her bulk. She wished not to be rude or to relinquish this unexpected (and inappropriately exciting) opportunity to learn, so would not take leave altogether. Instead she moved very subtly to maybe hold a less prominent position between the chaotic flood of emotion charged conversation.

Kri spoke again, issuing a directive to the grullo stallion with tear stained silver eyes, and Aryel. Her ears flicked forward with renewed, intrigued interest at the mention of Midas and a fond yet properly subdued smile broke the serious glaze across her face. Midas! Had the gravity of the situation not matured her so considerably, Africa might have chimed in at that moment, declaring with bright enthusiasm and belonging that she knew the stallion. Instead she remained quiet, curious as to whom Kri referred to as “...that lying sleazebag who wears a crown...” It seemed that Helovia was truly as interesting as her mother had decorated it to be.

All at once Kri turned, alighting into the air, and Africa was disappointed to realise she had missed the leaders parting sentence. She shuffled awkwardly on the spot, unsure whether it was time to split, or linger a little longer, should something actually be required of her.

Note Posts: 183
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.3hh :: 6 years Buff: NOVICE
Sabel :: Iberian Lynx :: Stormcall bry
[Image: 50ceb46754fc8]

Dusty bay ears swivel in the direction of heated yelling. Note turned his head to see the forms of Levi, Aryel, Lana, Kri, and a mare he had never met. He watched their interactions as he patrolled from afar, mind wavering between protection and seeing his herd mates. As the Resolute left, another soldier came to take over his patrol shift, but Note barely even saw the man's face. When the stallion had felt the nudge on his shoulder he knew he was relived of his duty for now.

Long thoroughbred legs raced through the desert, the orangemoon air making Note's movements more lively and fast paced, happy for the hot, hermetical days to be over. Sabel now ran by the dusty bay's side, struggling to keep up. From her lips tumbled a mew of exhaustion, but Note took no pity on the kitten. She was not his concern at the moment, he was focused on getting to his herd members.

Note reached the others in barely any time at all, slowing his gait to an easy trot until he stopped at the edge of the group. Levi was distraught, that was for sure. His face was stained with drying tears. What had ever made his friend cry?

"Aryel, Lana, Levi," Note nods respectfully to each member, noticing Lana's side was extra rounded. 'Maybe she's expecting,' Note thought to himself, brow furrowed as he did so and continued to take in the sight. "I heard yelling while I was on patrol and I wanted to see what all the commotion was about," Note spoke, his face portraying no emotion whatsoever. Sabel stumbled her way up to the horses, her sightless blue eyes filled with rage directed at her bonded for leaving her behind. She planned to paw at Note's canon bone in hopes of him letting her sit upon his back, but instead, her harmless claws tried to rake down the new mare's legs.

With a snort, Note picked up the kitten by her scruff and placed her upon his withers. "Dumb cat," the dusty bay scolded his companion, but she only replied with a hiss. "I'm sorry for her behavior," Note spoke in a hushed voice to the new mare.

"My name is Note, and yours is..?"

[Image: 52f3087fe3a26]
"The thought made Note's heart ache, but that's what love is. You don't care if the other person hates you or rejects you or anything of the sort because you just want to see them be happy."
pixel by tamme

tag me in all threads & replies!

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel had never appeared more shocked in her life than she did when Kri shouted at Levi. She recoiled away from the chocolate mare, ears pinning themselves as she all but gaped at her Commander. In all her time of living in the Throat and serving under Kri, she couldn't recall a time she had screamed at her herdmates, much less a Sergeant. To Aryel, Kri was the distant but admirable leader, an unbeatable living legend even shorter than she. She had mentored her in a spar, and Aryel trusting her with unwavering loyalty. Kri was a role model, really. To see her yell at Levi, to see her call him an idiot, was a slap in the face.

She tried not to squirm under Kri's lethal glare, but it was difficult. Few things cowed the hotblooded roan more than a nasty look from someone she respected. Kri didn't even seem to hear her other words, about the rain. When she spoke again, her voice was cold enough to chill the sand around them. Aryel nodded shakily, but instead she was roiling with confusion. Stay here? How could she help here? Athena was stuck in a frozen valley with a bunch of homicidal unicorns, and Kri wanted her and Levi to stay home and twiddle their hooves when they could be backing her up. Before she could voice protest, Kri was gone in a whirlwind of dust and brown fur.

If a horse could look flabbergasted, Aryel looked that way. Watching her leader disappear into the sky, she barely noticed the arrival of Note. Her jaw opened to speak. The shut again. Finally, she was able to find words.

"What just happened?"

After being effectively grounded by her Commander, she wasn't quite sure how to feel. She couldn't help feeling that she was being blamed for the crimes a unicorn had committed. Was Kri that disappointed in her for losing the fight? Something showed briefly in her eyes before she blinked it away. Resentment.

She turned towards Africa with an apologetic look. "I'm sorry you had to see all that. That was our Commander, Kri, and she's usually not quite that snappish." She was sure it was just the news of Athena's imprisonment that upset her. It had to be. "Some welcome to the herd, huh?"

She finally seemed to notice Note, and nodded at his greeting. "Lana and Athena were taken captive by Aurora Basin." she said by way of explanation. "Lana's escaped, obviously, but Athena's still there. Kri's just gone off to retrieve her." Her ears flattened. "Alone, apparently." It was stupid of her, to be frank. If she had been seeking out Kri to ask to put together a rescue group, why would she go back there without anyone to assist her? Her standings orders to stay put irritated her as well. She couldn't mean staying in the Throat, of course? (Aryel wouldn't have listened to that anyway). She looked down as Note's lynx stumbled up, pawing at Africa's leg. She had only been a tiny kit when she and Note sparred. Of course, her own companion had grow as well. Java, still perched on Lana's withers, offered a chirp to the lynx as a greeting.

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava
Excuse me?”Levi said without thinking about it. His tone was gruff and deep. It was words out of shock rather than disrespect. How dare she talk to him like that, she was his leader! In all his life he had never been talked to like that, not even from an enemy let alone his Sultana. It hurt as though there was a knife piercing through his stomach and then taking his beating heart right from his chest. He could barely look at anyone, and did she even know or care that Levi hadn’t been there? What an awful way to reunite with Kri. And more like it, what a horrible entrance for Africa. Levi looked towards her with sad looking orbs as if to say "I’m sorry." He would appologise to her for it at a later time, but right now he was still so shocked that he did not know what to do.

His ears went from being tipped forwards to pinned straight back to his skull. He gave Kri a sudden glare as if to say “Are you really a woman? You don’t act like one. Oh, maybe we switched genders?” His expression was straight, but it was the look in his eye that should count. Wrapping his wing around Lana tighter he looked at Kri with all due seriousness. “Kri, I am no idiot.” Levi said sternly almost giving her a sorrowful look.“I did not deserve to be talked to in that manner! And neither did our fellow herd mates have to hear that. If you were mad at me then you should have taken me aside. You hurt me Kri, you know that? In all my life I have never been so hurt as of now. How would you feel if you WEREN”T even here and you came back a couple of days ago to find out Onni was missing? You wouldn’t even know what to do. I know I shouldn’t have come rushing in like that, but I was worried! I had no clue they were missing because I wasn’t even here. Thanks for caring about me Kri,” Levi said that in a sarcastic tone “and then making me feel like shit!” With that Levi did not yell at Kri, but told her what he felt her fault was.

When she left Levi looked from Lana, to Aryel, and then to Africa. He felt terrible about it! Why did she take it out on him? He was not even there? She showed it didn’t even matter because no one came looking for him that’s some herd he was in. Listening to Aryel’s question, he looked around to all of them. “I am so sorry you all had to here this I-I don’t know honestly what just happened.” Looking towards Lana, he kissed the top of her forehead gently “From now on, you’re with me at all times okay?” Looking at her, he remembered what he had said. It would have been such a beautiful moment for him, no one had ever said that to him on all of his life, but Lana did. “I love you to, Lana, more than you will ever know.” He finally gave a brief smile and then looked around to Aryel like “what the hell are we going to do?”

Walk walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk talk."

levi.</style>
  when the light begins to fade, i'll be your guide.</style>
image by geezaweezer @ flickr.com