the Rift

Wanderer [Open]

Matterhorn Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
He was quite magnificent to look at. Tall; almost imposing. Muscle rippled, an entity beneath his coat. Wasted. Wasted in this lifeless body. It wasn't hard to tell, upon glancing even just once at him, that his pelt was pure white. That his tail, waving in wispy locks and hovering just an inch or so above the ground, was the same colour. And his mane, and the forelock that swept lazily over his coal coloured eyes. Though a thin layer of dust and dirt coated him now, as though he had been travelling too long, as though he had been lost for too long. One gunmetal grey hoof scoured the ground as if, somewhere behind the emptiness, there was a yearning for discovery inside him.

But any real sense of emotion, any depth to him that had been there once, had not lingered. Long gone, the sense of adventure and hope had been replaced by bitterness, wistfulness, and now merely cold. His neck still arched powerfully; ears still pricked attentively forwards; nimble, lengthy, formidable limbs still lifted high, smartly off the ground. A front, almost. For beneath the calm and collected pretense lay only brokenness, and despite the exterior seething with strength, his tones were devoid of anything except trenchant offense. Each breath heaved from his weary lungs and spiraled into the air, as beautiful as the rest of him, and equally as lacking in life.

And yet...there was a sense of something there. Perhaps only painful memories, but that was better than nothing, surely. It was evident that the life he had once had was infinitely better than the one he had collapsed into, effortlessly, yes, but enthusiastically? No. He snorted, allowing lingering whispers of his breath to pollute the air, and winced visibly at something, as though convinced of his own toxicity. Repeatedly dragged the same hoof - his front right - through the oblivious earth, lowering his maw to the ground and shaking his weighty head with some form of resolution from side to side. For a split second only, yet long enough for him to realise and cloud it with emptiness again, a darkness flitted through his eyes. For a split second the coals set on fire. Only to be stopped in their tracks by the prohibition of himself. Fire could not survive in such a cold environment. Any annoyance he felt towards himself for displaying a fragment of emotion was not shown, either because he wouldn't allow it or because it wasn't there. Because he had somehow trained himself not to feel.

Matterhorn raised his head again and glanced at his surroundings, forbidding more than a nanosecond spent looking at each leaf, each molecule of dirt, each jagged piece of bark. He didn't want anything to become too familiar. Not after the last time.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

Africa had woken early that morning, even before the Throat’s birdlife had been roused into chorus by the first hint of dawn. All was quiet; sombre the young grey had thought- especially after the previous day’s chaotic sequence of events. Somehow, Africa had stepped into the very centre of the building drama. She did not regret stumbling across the escaped filly though, as before yesterday the kingdom’s inhabitants were still alien to her young, unmarked heart. So, with renewed vigour and a newly determined feeling of belonging, she peeled herself from the crushed grass over which she had soundly slept, and shook herself off at length.

There was not much for her to fill each day with since she came to Helovia. Mostly, she busied herself with solitary adventures into the wilderness. One such time Africa had come to grief in the company of an extremely unpleasant horned stallion, and the meek young horse shuddered at the fleeting memory. Even while a thick carpet of grey-white clouds gathered in the shadowy light of pre-dawn, she planned resolutely to return to Helovia’s fringe where she herself had followed Midas’s tender passage home. Her theory was to pay that kindness forward in a sense. So far she was not aware that recruiting was an actual task, performed as duty to one’s home and perhaps rewarded for success. Africa remained for now, oblivious to those trivial workings of her homeland.

Quickly, she treated herself to a sip from the cool (yet strangely sour, after an event that she had not the knowledge of when blood rained from the sky) central lake before committing entirely to her quest back to where her journey all began. Upwards she flew, pressing her great feathered wings skilfully against the gentle wind as it swirled through the oasis, and she climbed quickly to drift northward, just below the bleak layer of cloud. Enthusiasm leaked with each forward lurching flap, and a thick smile carved into her white, narrow face.

Perhaps if she had travelled by foot, the journey to the Threshold might have been far more cumbersome and lengthy, but as she swept aloft, ground was covered quite quickly. Just as the milky pastels of first light seeped into the embrace of sky around her, Africa tucked her wings gradually and began to descend. From her vantage point she could readily see a narrow clearing between the densely clustered pines, and aimed her direction towards it, swooping and levelling, swooping and levelling; losing altitude at a relaxed pace.

Africa came to rest across a patchwork of loosely grassed loam, pausing for a moment to adjust the feathers in her outwardly stretched left wing, which had become dishevelled and uncomfortable during flight. When she had settled, the young mare turned to look about, assess her location and find who might be close by. All seemed relatively quiet, though the first warbling call of a thrush broke the hanging intensity of silence and Africa lifted her face automatically as it did, her ears flickering observantly.

The memory of her first encounter with another in this world fluttered warmly through her thoughts as Africa moved forward into a gentle, swinging walk. Midas had been so kind, generous, and recalling the softly spoken stallion’s invitation to come with him home still struck a giddy excitement in her heart. Although by nature, she was a quietly nervous soul, the dapple grey horse had built a slim barrier of confidence and she wore that now as she strolled, like a cloak of self worth.

As her pale eyes scanned her surrounds, Africa became aware of the presence of another- a snowy white stallion, whose carriage seemed attractive and regal. She watched without prejudice, as he raked the ground beneath him with his hoof- again and again. Perhaps it was the reassuring lack of a forehead-stick that struck a chord in the overly trusting young mare's heart, because she altered her path so that she could meet up with him. Childishly she imagined that they could spend the first hours of this fresh day in each other’s company. “Hello there.” She cooed on approach, so that if her arrival had somehow passed him by unnoticed, the stranger would hopefully not startle. “You look nice!” She offered cheerfully but humbly and with little forethought, for it was that niceness after all, that had compelled Africa over.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Orinthia Posts: 132
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 17 hands :: 4 years
Orinthia

ORINTHIA</style>
  Adventure is my Middle Name</style>

Walk walk walk
"Talk talk talk"

I finally had the time to return to the place I treasured so much. The looming trees reminded me of my old home, so far away surrounded by vast fields with blooming flowers, and forests surrounding the place with streams running through occasionally. But now, even as I walked through, the place felt different. It was Autumn, and I have never witnessed the place at this lovely time where it wasn't to hot, nor too cold. Silently, I contemplated about winter to come. Even though I was mostly Frisian, and built for the frigid weather, I couldn't stand the cold and snow. It just didn't fit me, honestly. It was spring that brought the best out in me, when I didn't feel the need to fight, or be rude. It was the time when I felt joyful and just happy to be alive.

I decided to canter through the trees, enjoying the wind that started hitting my face. My mane blew up, covering my greenish eyes as I ran, doding trees with my big body. I finally heard something, like other's hoof steps. I lifted up my head, and scented the air, smelling a female and a male. The familiar feeling of curiosity shot through me, as I pushed forwards to meet the other two horses that were residing here. I quickly pushed myself forward with my muscles rippling as I shot through the forest, trying to be as quiet as I could. Then I came upon two horses, and smiling I heard the female speak. She was a pegasus, a beast that I envied and admired for the fact that they had something that I would never possess. Wings. My thoughts started now drifting towards Alcina. The pegasus male even though cold as ice was starting to thaw slightly towards me. The one that I might have feelings for. I wasn't sure of it yet, but I lay eyes on the femme studying her.

She was young, full of youth and seemed extremely nice with her bright face. She was quite tall in fact, but still a hand shorter than me, with a black tail striped with orange, and a light mane. "You're right Miss, he does look good", I said before I even looked at the male she was addressing. Right there, stood a handsome lad, the opposite of me, where I was midnight black with green eyes, and he was my height, pure white, with interesting black eyes. He was muscular, and quite attractive, but I felt it wasn't in my place to linger on him too long. He seemed emotionless..Like Alcina. I thought to myself. I still stared at him, noticing that he seemed almost...hopeless.
Like Alcina, I felt it was my place to help him come out of the void of hatred and loneliness, and show him happiness. Addressing both him, and the lass, "Hello! My name is Orinthia!" I cheerfully chirped, pricking up my ears in a friendly manner, and waiting for what was to happen.

*ugh. I think my posts are getting worse >.< *
blah blah