the Rift

[OPEN] Living through each empty night

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo

Wind was everywhere. It howled and shrieked in a desperate voice, the aggravating sound of sharpening claws as they hone their way down the whetting stone that is the mountain peak, deafening the stallion’s ears. It is a constant disturbance in the wake of every day, another unpleasant addition to the chill temperatures of the Basin that Roland still hasn’t gotten used to; a reminder that the world is under nature’s control no matter how they try to dominate it. Now that autumn is beginning to close shadowy hands around the valley the days are beginning to darken and Roland’s optimism goes with them. Tallsun provided warmth even when snow and ice was ever present, but as the star lengthened its distance from the rocky peaks the weather was growing bitter.

Away from the rest of the herd there were no faces except those of the stars above; no watchers at the moment for whom he must play charades, to pretend he is someone he is not. The wind’s careening through the valley has a note of comfort amidst the discord; it is always the same, something he can count on being there at the end of every day. Above him the skies of autumn were put on display like Heaven battling Hell, clouds twisting together and reflecting the muted scarlet hues of an early sunset. Rays of dying light slanted through the gloom like celestial blades, silhouetting the gray mountains that stretched across the valley like a wall. To Roland they felt like prison bars.

He was not entirely unhappy with his new life in the Basin, but the weather was taking its toll on him. He had been born in a land where summer reigned longer than winter, and even during the coldest months the air still held some distant fragments of warmth. In the shadow of towering cliffs there was no such comfort, and every frosted gale that caressed his face bore another reminder of that fact. As time passed winter grew ever more prominent, and the weary Phantom soon found himself in the midst of a light snow fall as darkening clouds gathered far above his head.

His attempt to escape the flurry was halfhearted, gravitating slowly towards the towering ridges that cradled the valley in its rocky palms. Shards of ice, like weapons shelved precariously upon a rack, cascaded in jagged falls down the uneven mountain face to meet the earth at his feet. Roland sank into their shadows, tilting his chin to brush his muzzle tentatively across one’s pointed edge. It quivered at his touch like fragile glass, threatening to shatter at the smallest of disturbances. The stallion withdrew, admiring the blush of sunset reflected upon each frozen spire like so many vermillion daggers. A thin cloak of snow gathered upon his idle body, speckling his back like a feathery blanket as he attempted to shelter from the gathering squall. He let the wind’s lament lull him into a restless calm, looking out across the flat ground of the Basin and wondering if, when night fell, he would be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the Aurora Borealis.

walk walk walk
"talk talk talk"

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie

So far I hadn't really spoken to anyone. Yes I had said hi and whatever else but I knew nothing of no one really. The strong wind blew my mane back towards my neck and my tail flailed about wildly. Why did it have to be so damn cold here? Where I had been on my travels was warm, pretty much constantly, and now I had come back to this. The season had also changed making it colder then what it was when I arrived. The days were shortened and the curtain wash of the Aurora Borealis were seen more often. As pretty as they were I would rather have longer day's with more heat.

I was glad to note though that at least there wern't any hornless beasts around here. Psyche had done a good job at giving them warning not to come to this land though if they ever did happen to stride upon this land I would be sure to be there with a dark grin dancing on my maw. They scampered round the land of Helovia to much and I, for one, had seen to many.

I was in a slight mood, I must admit but it was true, there were to many Equine's and Pegasus's roaming around and so I head out the cave I had been sheltering in but almost as soon I had left the cave I spy stallion lurking in the shadows not far of from where I had been. I trot up to him, the wind now growing stronger, with my head arched and each hoof placed perfectly. When I reach him I hold my head high. I can't see him to well because of the darkness of the shadows he was in but we seemed about the same height and (thank god) he ha a horn, or else I would have gutted him by now. "Greetings. I am Illynx, Corporal or the Basin, and you are?"

[ Sorry this was so bad! ]

Illynx
feels like I've awoken from the dead

image credits
table by whit
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
and it's like you're shouting out my name in the dark
but I can't hear
because there's ice in my heart.
[ please let Arielle and Arah post before going again ^^ ]

The sun was bleeding out across the snow as Mauja and Arah led the new mare home. Long shadows mimicked their every move, dark hooves rising and falling above the snow before plunging back to meet the body. Darkness rolled in like waves from the east, slowly devouring the sky and turning it inky black behind the cover of clouds. Blood red painted their undersides red, and as he moved across the wasteland of the steppe, he thought that it was an unusually vibrant sunset. Soon enough he knew they would grow colder, the sky shifting to dues of green and purple as it sank, but for a while yet the splendor of summer lingered. The further west they went upon the snowy fields the fiercer the wind grew, and he grunted quietly under his breath. It seemed that autumn in the Basin would prove a stormy business, and part of his cold heart ached for the trees and fog of the Edge, the crash of wave against cliff — the proximity to the sea had kept much of the snowfall at bay, showering them incessantly in rain instead.

But on the days the Edge had been cold.. it had been deathly cold. Born and raised far to the north, Mauja didn't think much of neither the Frostbreath Steppe nor the Aurora Basin. In summer it was pleasantly cool, the mountains keeping most of the wind at bay, and the hot springs beneath the ground thawing the earth and providing them with lush grass. He knew that in winter, it had to change. Cold and wind seemed to be the precursors, and light snowfalls had already come to their vale. He could only hope the presence of hot water would give them enough to feed off during the darkest days, and he made a mental note to explore the cave systems deeper, and see if any of them contained a spring. It could be a warm place to shelter.

Another gust of wind came howling as the neared the foothills, and he winced as it blasted him icily in the face. His winter coat hadn't begun to grow in yet, but his body seemed to know what was up. Already he'd felt the first itches of shedding.

With the sun slipping behind the horizon, out of sight behind the mountain range cradling their home, Mauja stepped into the shadow of the mountain pass, leading Arielle, the newcomer, and Arah, the antlered Phantom. "It's a bit windy during fall," he told them both, assuming the weather pattern would stick even though he couldn't know. He didn't know the Basin as intimately as he had the Edge. Turning his head back to home, he pressed on through the stronger winds; the narrow pass funneled the air in a most displeasing fashion, its speed increasing as it sought to pass the same amount of mass in the same amount of time. Growling under his breath Mauja flattened his black-rimmed ears to his neck and pushed through the gale.

Once at the mouth of the pass the wind receded somewhat, and the Basin spread out before them; a light snow had begun to fall to cover the yellowing, frostbitten grass, and the massive lake hinted in the distance. Towering mountains rose protectively around the slopes, and he turned to give Arielle a smile. "Welcome home, Elle. Let's see if there's anyone else about." Flicking his tail he set off along the rim of the valley, breaking into a trot to cover more ground. He was so used to navigating the slightly uneven, rocky ground, and the snow and odd patches of ice. He could only hope the new mare could keep up without breaking her legs.

[ I feel this is already long enough xD either ignore us for a bit or Roland or Illynx is welcome to spot us coming! ]
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie
[Image: 2dh77yo.png]
A R A H

It's a sickening feeling,
knowing time changes us so much,
but we still feel like our old selves.

The walk back to the Basin had been pleasant. Arah had been silent almost the entire way there, her thoughts turned inwards, making decisions on a few matters of importance. The gradual dropping of the temperature announced clearly just how cold The Basin was, also how close they were getting. Her eyes where drawn up as the approached the border of the foothills area, as their small party passed by. That was where The Grey had taken over. Many had lost their home after the invasion. A feeling of pity and sadness rolled through her, what would she be doing right now if she had lost her new home? Loosing her first home had been bad enough. It was funny to think that she was practically royalty from her own home land, destined to be mates with the leader of the biggest and most famous herd. Arah however was happy just being a member of the herd, not leading it. It didn't suit her fighting for more than one at the moment, she was still only learning to defend herself. Still, The Basin was her home and now as they came closer to it, she felt a grin settle on her lips. This was where she was happiest, it was...a harsh blast of cold wind slapped Arah out of her day dream. She shivered and looked around for the sun, it was setting over in the distance. Well...there went their warmth.

Now The Basin was in sight though and Arah started to feel safe again. Of course the trip back hadn't been that terrifying. Mauja's presence made Arah feel confident that they would not meet any challengers along the way. The Basin was her first home and she intended it to be her home forever. The wind continued to blast their party and the shivering began on Arah's part. Being a smaller mare, the wind just blasted right through her. Mauja made a comment about it being a bit windy. She managed to chuckle. "A bit?" She called out, eyes locking onto his. "Mauja, the wind is freezing my antlers off!" She laughed and looked back onto their home just as he did. Only this time she didn't feel so bitter towards the wind.

Once at the mouth of the pass, the Basin rolled out before them and the wind calmed it's self. Arah pressed forward with the other two and walked onto the light snow. Cold and wet, exactly how she remembered it. Yeah, Arah definitely loved The Basin, she didn't know why. Mauja welcomed their new member home, and Arah passed her a smile. They set off to find new people, no doubt to introduce Elle to them. "Mind your step Elle, the ground can be hard to navigate." She was used to the rocky ground, hardly tripping on anything anymore. When she had first arrived though...well she was more often sprawled on the ground than what she was standing up right. Now her feet moved gracefully and navigated the ground with ease. Her eyes began looking around hoping to find others to introduce Elle too. She had yet to stop smiling though, it was great to be home.

Notes;
Words; 534
Tag;Roland, Illynx, Mauja, Arielle and open.

Credits
And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Arielle Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Though the journey was set my mind had wandered the whole time. Over many trees, the passing of decay in each branch that had obviously fallen long ago and now taking the time to turn itself to nutrient and restrengthen the earth itself. To grow anew deep within the soil bringing food to underground kin, the worms and such. Who made food for the birds my eyes often drifted to and wandered about. Majestic wings so comfortable and almost angelic like, different from the attached appendages to the equines of my fellows. Fellows some say, friends some say, foe I may claim them as. Despite my undying hate for each and every one of them there's a soft side of me that pity's how disgusting they are. What an awful feeling it must be to know inside you are worthless or to go on thinking your worth anything at all. I couldn't imagine it. Perhaps though this is hypocritical, not but many years ago I was friends with such beasts. Even the closest of friends there are do an equine so bare he was far from delicious. A plain chestnut in color, dull brown eyes and the green moss that filmed his teeth was so boring and dull.

Memories they come now, as my steps quicken, body lurching forward in a fit. An attempt to shake them from my mind. I'm strides behind Mauja and Arah, keeping my distance so they may feel their own amount of safety in a strangers path. Though within seconds I come so close to Arah I can feel the heat of her hind quarters, my left should coming close to the long bits of hair she calls a tail. Stepping sideways I shock myself with a scolding for taking such a hard hit from memories, though they weaken me inside. A desperate scratching for the top. Hoping to contaminate the world before me, wishing I would stop dead in my tracks and head backwards. Rewind to the very day everything happened, warning my family of the dangers to come. Seeking a way to protect them from the very creatures I would soon find here too.

Though a conversation is spoken throughout Mauja, a perfect escape from my short spasm, "Aye, it is chilly." Using this as my excuse for coming so close to Arah with such a short amount of time in my hoof tracks. Pathetic yes but perhaps she would believe in her own self that that was my cause for such an outburst. A quiet but quick trip to her rump. Still moving closer to her side. Making our way through the pass she speaks again as the terrain begins to change. Rocks. The familiar clink and slip I remember like yesterday. My favorite of all things. Such fun to maneuver through and make a fool of yourself if you are to fall. I pick my way over the ground, surely and carefully, a smile firmly placed upon my lips. "Thank you for the welcome Mauja," my head forward and ears lingering his way, unsure of if he's heard my quiet call or not. I felt as though my voice was weak from being unused for years. My own tones a shock to my ears every time I spoke. Even from the place we had encountered each other it was a different note. "and Arah, this is quite the familiar terrain, I rather enjoy the unsteady course... quite the rush of adrenaline when you get to moving to fast." I smile slyly. Unsure of how she would take my words, odd and creepy perhaps? Her opinion is hers.

[ooc- sorry to have taken so long to reply, my replies may come slowly this week, i hope this is of no trouble... if it is so just go ahead and give me a skip!]

I say fuck it, lets kill them all.
ARIELLE
Image Credit

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo

Belatedly he realized that he was not alone in the wailing, the snow, the cold, the biting chill that filled the wind. Sapphire eyes narrowed against the tempest, but so too in a concise, thoughtful manner. He didn’t recognize the shape that moved towards him out of the gloom, head held high as if in challenge. The Phantom tensed when a feminine voice reached his ears, spoken over the cry of the wind as it swept over the rocky crags. He nodded in greeting, offering a small smile that did not reach his eyes. Even though he knew Illynx was a herd mate, he did not trust so easily. “My name is Roland, newly recruited Phantom,” his voice was welcoming and kind despite the emotions that broiled beneath the surface.

A sudden bitter wind tore across the flat plains, battering the mountain’s face with such force that the shards of ice around them quivered like agitated birds. With the sharp sound of shattering glass an icicle snapped from its hold and came tumbling towards the earth, shattering not far from the lingering pair. More icy daggers followed in its wake, fragmenting as they crashed into the ground, pieces scattering across the ice. Roland flinched away from the noise as a shower of snow brushed from above landed on his back, stepping away from the mountain he had once expected to shelter beneath. Apparently he would have no such luck.

The displeasure was not hidden from his features as he looked up at Illynx through locks of tangled hair, tilting his head to the side with an almost bashful quirk of his lips. “I’m not too used to the northern climate yet,” he admitted, in way of explanation for his behavior. He was sure by now it was no secret that snow wasn’t a favourite thing of his. He found himself lingering around the hot springs more than was likely proper, but he wouldn’t admit to that aloud.

As the sun sank lower on the horizon, nearing the mountains and sending streaks of blood red and fiery orange across the sky, Roland looked out across the flat land of his home. The dying grass shook with every gust of wind, looking feeble and dejected among the patches of snow. Ears perked as his eyes suddenly fixed upon the distant form of Mauja and Arah, recognizing them instantly as they were two of the few he had met so far, and more than once at that. His thoughts were drawn towards the fading wound on his neck, now fully healed but leaving the faintest of scars upon his otherwise unblemished skin. The white mare had done him a favour in helping him, and so too had the pale stallion, for he wouldn’t have been standing there if it weren’t for Mauja accepting him into the herd.

A smile grew on his lips as he watched them, tilting his head into the wind to cry out. “Mauja! Arah!” His voice echoed against the mountains at their backs, carrying across the uneven ground. As an afterthought his eyes flicked towards Illynx, hoping she wouldn’t mind the interruption to their budding conversation. It seemed the pair of white Unicorns had a new recruit on their tail, or someone else he had never seen before.

walk walk walk
"talk talk talk"

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Very sorry for the wait - was hoping for Illynx to post.

and it's like you're shouting out my name in the dark
but I can't hear
because there's ice in my heart.
It was strange to think, that he hardly knew the white mare walking with him, yet she was comfortable in his company — and he was fairly comfortable in hers, too. Arah had been with them for a while, proven that she wasn't going to run off, and not even being captured by Angora had put her off living in the Basin (it seemed more like the opposite). Of course, Mauja had played the part of knight in shining armor to rescue her, though he wasn't sure if she knew or not. She was not a part of the Plague, in front of which he had announced he would deal with the thieving bitch. A low chuckle escaped him as she replied to his comment about the wind, and their new sister seconded the statement about the cold. He just gave them a grin. The wind had a little bite in it.

Once onto the slopes he heard Arah's gentle warning of the footing, and Arielle's rather sly response. So, she was familiar to mountainous terrain.. and if he wasn't a fool, enjoyed running fast across it. A lopsided grin broke out across his muzzle, and he knew they couldn't see it, ahead of them as he was. Perhaps they'd see the sun glint off her bay hide as she raced along the ledges and narrow, rocky paths up to the peaks soon, and he could only hope she wouldn't fall.

Their hooves beat against the thin layer of snow, clipped against the rocky footing beneath, and then he suddenly spied movement against the bleak horizon. It wasn't until one of them cried out that he knew who they were, though; the wind stole all sense of smell, and in the darkness all colors seemed deeper, less vibrant. The voice which bridged the distance between them was familiar, though, and not an unwelcome thing to hear. Roland himself was still somewhat new to the herd, but evidently he knew the white lass, Arah. Mauja checked his stride for a moment to glance at the mare, before calling out in response. "Roland!" Right hind hoof hit the earth and propelled him into a canter, and he balanced easily upon the snow. A couple of paces later he saw Illynx, one of the Corporals, next to him. Slowing to a walk he nodded to them both, gliding forward to reach out to brush his muzzle across theirs, unless they pulled back.

He didn't know Illynx very well, nor did he know Roland, but he'd spent more time around him than the mare. Hopefully the Phantom was settling, and doing.. phantom-y things. Blue eyes narrowed as he peered intensely at him for a moment; he seemed fine. "Are you settling well?" he asked him quietly, before turning slightly to motion to Arah, and then point with his muzzle at Arielle. "This is Elle, our newest. Elle, this is Roland, and Illynx."
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie
[Image: 4hz8ty.jpg]
Credits; Carnival-ride-Stock.deviantart.com SweetDreams-Stock.deviantart.com Photomanipulator; AlexLibby.deviantart.com

Arah

A voice she knew all too well called out to them. She looked up to the chestnut hide and sighed happily. "Roland!" She followed Mauja to him and greeted him by running her muzzle along his neck. She offered him a large grin and nodded as Mauja asked him about how he had been settling in. She too hoped he was enjoying The Basin. "Congratulations on becoming a phantom!" She gushed at Roland. She moved and stood beside him and Mauja introduced Elle, she watched Roland for a moment and remembered the snake bite. The wound had healed well. She turned back to the party and smiled at Elle and then turned to Illynx, the mare she hadn't met before. "It's nice to meet you Illynx."

She really did hope Roland had been settling down well in The Basin, things surely would be more interesting with him around. They got along well, like an amber to wood, or whatever the expression was. The pale mare's golden orbs now turned to Mauja and considered her standing with him. To Arah, friends and relationships could make or break a person. Mauja was someone she couldn't quite understand, she knew this was probably only because the lack of time she had spent with him. He, as far as she was aware, was still taken with Psyche. Which generally interested the young mare more, their relationship was no doubt an interesting one. Arah had also heard whispers of Angora being captive in The Basin for a while. Even more than that, she heard that Mauja had been the one who had stolen her. It made Arah feel uncomfortable that she had been in such close contact with the mare that had bewitched her. Arah would have happily killed in Angora's name. She wondered if the evil hornless fleabag was still in The Basin. She made a mental note to ask Mauja later, if they ever got a moment alone. The of course there was the fact that Mauja is a total bad ass. He was just awesome and yet strange in her eyes. Now her eyes settled on Elle. She wasn't sure what to think of this other mare either.

Did she like Elle? yes...kind of.... She supposed liking the mare would come with trust. Trust for Arah did not come easily, she struggled with it and often toyed with the idea of what trust actually was. But then she trusted Mauja totally, maybe it was his position, maybe even the power that he had made made her trust him so easily. She also trusted Roland, but they had helped each other out of some sticky situations. It was hard not to trust him. She brought her thoughts back to the present and grinned at the party in general. Her eyes settled on Mauja again, and she watched him for a short moment, wondering what secrets this one stallion could hold. Then she turned back to everyone. Her cryptic thoughts hidden behind her smile.

Haunted by my eyes, the way they hold your attention even in the loudest silences.
Notes; Tired. I apologise for any mistakes. I'll proof read again in the morning. <3
Words; 501
Tag; Roland, Mauja, Elle & Open.

And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽