the Rift

[OPEN] Someone To Save You [Roland]

Chernobyl Posts: 134
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: Nine | Tallsun HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Psilo
[Image: 50c3cfe45dfd7]

Chernobyl

Beginning. Where had her beginning gone? Instead she felt locked endlessly in the middle of some stalemate- a war waged between herself and her past. Had she always been so trapped? So confused? Surely not. At some point in her life, there had been purpose that was now all but forgotten. Even when she was spinning hopelessly around her emotions, there was still some small sliver of light that reminded her of a path not taken. Was that path now seemingly left in the capable hands of Murdock or was his distraction just something that temporarily left her in disorder? Whatever it was, she had to figure it out soon before her mind was sent reeling into oblivion.

This had to end.

As a Disciple to the Haruspex, Chernobyl felt as if she’d been quite led astray. She’d been to visit the mirror and seen nothing- not that she was disappointed about it. After all, she was a mere partisan. But what did the title give her? Where was she supposed to go? It was an irritating matter that often made her question her loyalties to the Basin. She had wandered so far from her former goals and realities- too far. Was there any hope left?

No- she thought silently. This was futile. All of the fighting and the plaintive ignorance… It was all some kind of rouse. But her heart remained true- if true could ever be a term devised for the cold that existed in her breast. If she’d had to give up the cold for anyone, it surely would have been Murdock. He had been the only soul within these godforsaken holy grounds that had been lucky enough to make an impression on her. It was wrong, it was not sanctified; but did she care? Certainly not.

Chernobyl had all but lost her mind. But she was still standing. Or maybe she just believed she was when she wasn’t high off of the feeling of affection that often overwhelmed her senses as of late. She was headed straight to hell and she probably knew it. But did she mind?

No.

But oh, I'm staring at the mess I made
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

crushed and filled with all I found
underneath and inside, just to come around
more, give me more, give me more

pixel is by RELI<3

• Feel free to magic on her, but no murder.

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo

The colder months had never been among Roland’s favourites. It was the beginning of autumn and a brisk chill had begun to set in, drawing with it the first snows in the northernmost reaches of the Aurora Basin. Wind sung through the rocky crevasses of the mountains, weaving a haunting ballad that followed the Phantom as he walked, unaware of the direction he was heading in. The rocky ground beneath him was splashed with ice, creating an uneven surface that was nigh impossible to maneuver with grace. The land began to slope upwards, winding towards the mountains that loomed overhead like silent guardians. Large, erratic boulders dotted the meandering path and Roland wound around them as a snake might, choosing each footfall with caution.

It was a bleak day, the sky clouded over and dark while the sun was hidden behind a cloak of gray. Thick, wet snowflakes tumbled to the ground, dancing on the wind as if given wings. The rugged path gradually evened out as Roland neared a cave, allowing the dun time to direct his attention elsewhere. He moved towards the gaping maw set into the cliff side, eager to find shelter under its arch and solace among his thoughts. The tension lingering between the Dragon’s Throat and the Basin troubled him almost as if it were a tangible weight resting upon his shoulders.

He was no seasoned veteran of war, but he had fought, in his own way; rather than with hooves and teeth his weapons were words and shadows. The job of a spy wasn’t as physically taxing as the duties of a soldier, but there was no lack of threat. Every dawn he had woken with the knowledge that he might not live to see the dusk.

If the Basin hovered on the brink of war against the Throat, which he sincerely hoped they weren’t, then of course he would be expected to answer the call of battle once again. While he would be happy to fight for his home, no matter how long he had lived in it, he had mixed feelings about having to return to the battlefield, for he was a coward at heart. He would never admit to it, or even acknowledge its presence, but the fact remained. The thought of being harmed or killed shook him to his very core, though he was desperate to hide his consternation. He did not want to see another home fall to the chaos that trailed closely on the heels of war; did not want to watch the untainted valley fill with the scent of blood and the sounds of angered calls and pained cries.

He snorted softly, slipping out of the wind and growing storm into the quiet that the icy hollow provided. As his eyes adjusted to the dark, he realized with a jolt that he was not alone. A black figure stood with him amidst the shadows, sporting a crown of thorns atop her head. Roland eyed the barbs upon the mare’s horn with uncertainty as he neared, footsteps announcing his presence as his hooves clacked against the ice. He tilted his chin as he approached, noting the faraway look on the black’s face.

Is something troubling you?” He ventured, hoping he wouldn’t startle her. Before speaking he had determined that a forward approach was best, for he did not want to appear hesitant and unconfident if she did not receive him kindly. Any boldness he exuded in his voice and brazen stature was false and impersonated, for he did not bestow trust upon even his own herd mates until they had earned it from him.

(Hope you don’t mind that I took the liberty of assuming Chernobyl’s location.)

walk walk walk
"talk talk talk"

Psilo

Chernobyl

My heart is aching and I’m down on the bend
My will is weak and I’m falling again
I get back up and try to make things right
If you just stay here tonight

Black eyes peer out from beneath her unruly forelock, studying the amber boy with a curious gaze. She is neither inviting nor hostile, but instead impervious to his ascent. However, his words beg for response and so she nods quickly, trying to compensate for her previously foul disposition. “Would you say that I look troubled?” Her voice is soft in spite of the callous intent behind her words and when she looks away, she imagines a world far from here. The cold of the Arch is nearly comforting as she stares out across the expanse of snowy hills debating life and the likes. She could tell that Murdock was beginning to rub off on her, causing the walls of her despair to fall one by one. If she didn’t know any better, she could have sworn that opening herself to another had been the determining factor in her happiness and yet… she was still subdued.

As the boy moves closer, she allows him a spot alongside her just as she had done with Mauja at the mirror of the Haruspex. She is not reluctant to give him shelter in the midst of an impending storm and when she turns her depthless gaze to him, she recognizes him from the Basin. She had only seen him in passing, never dwelling on that fact that his face carried no name, but she had seen him nonetheless. In fact, he was only one among many to appear so unfamiliar to her for she had never taken much time to delve into the inner workings of her home. She did not regret her choice of companionship because she was perfectly at ease being a disconsolate recluse; when her heart decided to wander, she would feel no loss at leaving behind those that barely even knew her name.

I’m Chernobyl, if such a formality ever strikes your concern. And you are?” Her wide eyes gaze at him with little remorse and she tries to contain her curiosity as she wonders why he too would be traversing the arch with the threat of war so imminent. She need not know why it had happened upon their threshold and only that it did. However, she was very little concerned about the Basin’s welfare because it was missing a very important part of her heart.

She would never admit to such a weakness but it remained and so it would be acknowledged, however painfully, it would appear.
image credits
table by whit

pixel is by RELI<3

Glo

A thoughtful look crossed Roland's face at the dark mare's question and he nodded in response, a movement barely perceptible in the dim light. Her gaze had seemed dull and distracted when he had first arrived, shaking the accumulated snow from his tangled mane. There were no lighthearted musings occurring behind her curious guise. "You do," he murmured in response, not unkindly. He did not pursue the matter though, for she was a stranger and he wouldn't expect her to divulge her troubles to an unfamiliar face.

He had the decency to appear embarrassed when she introduced herself after his forward entrance, dipping his head as if in apology. "A pleasure to meet you. My name is Roland," he responded with a kind smile. There was once a time when he was not so careless with his name, when it was once a secret among so many others he kept behind lock and key, for the betrayal of his title was a threat to his own safety. It was liberating, in a way, to be able to speak it so freely now rather than parading around wrapped in a false identity. Upon entering Helovia, it had taken some time adjusting to the fact that he was able to use it as he pleased, as long as it was not tarnished once again with unjust behavior. Roland hadn’t left behind his talent for lying, nor his willingness to utilize it, but he chose each step carefully now lest he lose the new home he had worked so hard to find.

He was grateful for the distraction from his previous thoughts, for he didn’t wish to be weighted down with the anticipation of a possible war. Perhaps he was overreacting, for he had a bothersome tendency to blow things out of proportion when there was no necessity to do so, or perhaps he was right to worry. Sighing quietly, he lifted his head and glanced up at the ice that arched above them, coloured deep blue in the growing darkness that followed the storm. There was a certain calm that lingered about the place, where the thick frosted walls muted the howl of wind outside their icy sanctuary, and though the snow floated into the entrance with every draft of wind, it was comfortable.

The Phantom’s eyes flicked back down to meet Chernobyl’s dark gaze with hesitance, head tilting to the side. If he had the ability to read thoughts, he would do so now, regardless of how impolite the gesture might be. Beneath his kind exterior he rarely made a habit of being polite or innocent, though he was not cruel by nature. Doing what was right had never been in his job description, and he tried not to feel guilt as a result of his dishonesty; but as time passed he found it easier and easier to dismiss his wrongdoings as things that simply needed to be done.

Is this unpleasant weather taking its toll on you as much as it is me?” He turned his sapphire gaze upon the mare’s ashen face, laughing humorlessly. He wasn’t going to prod her about whatever had held her attention so strongly, but perhaps she would open up to him, if just the slightest amount. It felt awkward, attempting to sympathize with someone he barely knew. Months spent in solitude had made his social interactions difficult, but he hoped she didn’t find him strange. Perhaps they would find companionship amidst the raging storm and icy walls.

(Bleh. Next post will be better.)

walk walk walk
"talk talk talk"

Psilo

Chernobyl

He was very matter-of-fact and Chernobyl could appreciate his straightforward manner- to an extent. She wasn’t sure if she liked him or even really wanted to tolerate his presence, but there was little she could do to escape him in the midst of an impending blizzard. At least he was smart enough to keep his distance.

And you look like you could use some manners.” Her smile was evident behind now gleaming obsidian eyes and she chuckled softly. She assumed that she could make the best of her current situation if she was going to be stuck here for the time being. Hell, they might have to stay there all night… However, she pretended that such an event could never happen to her, at least with so much riding on her shoulders at the moment. She imagined that the Gods would at least give her some small reprieve until she could better understand all the emotions rolling through her chest. “Roland… odd name. So, what is it that you do Roland? You’re obviously from the Basin as well, but I’m curious to know what exactly makes you tick.” Her lips curled slightly in cautious warning- she did not want him to mistake her kindness for friendship until she was certain that his intentions were good. You could never tell what those Basin horses had up their sleeve.

Casting her sullen gaze out into the snowy swells of the Arch, she let her mind wander for a time. She thought of Murdock again and then of the Plague. She was still confused as to what her position in the Plague had really gained her, but she had no problem remaining if it meant that at some point power would be entrusted to her waiting hands. She was a power hungry mogul on the inside despite her reluctance to act on it. She had wanted more than anything to make a name for herself and yet here she was, chatting away with some no-name Basin recruit who probably had no direction as well. Or maybe he would surprise her with purpose and dignity- though she doubted anything could throw her at this point.

Does the weather typically attract your interest or do I just make you uncomfortable? I wouldn’t say that it’s taking any toll on me because I pay it no mind, but I don’t like to be inconvenienced as you can imagine. I don’t suppose you enjoy being forced into my company when the comforts of home are so close.” Again, another playful smile tugged at her charred lips. She was not one for formality and she was certainly not one for small talk. If anything, she abhorred the incessant banter that consumed most creatures in Helovia. There was nothing good about discussing the weather or inquiring about one’s family… it was all too mundane.

And Chernobyl quite hated the mundane.
image credits
table by whit

pixel is by RELI<3

Glo

Chernobyl’s response startles him, and he gives an imperceptible jerk of his head in response, eyes widening a fraction. Her suggestion was followed by a facetious smile, but Roland wasn’t sure if it was meant to soften the insult or worsen it. He wasn’t offended often, though it had been a while since he’d lived in a social situation, but he liked to believe his rustiness with communication was a result of those months spent in solitude. He hadn’t meant to overstep boundaries by simply observing, but it seemed, perhaps, that all the ice and snow had put a frost on his charm, and he wasn’t quite so endearing when surrounded by Unicorns he hadn’t yet decided to trust. He tried to feel at ease amongst their ranks, but the incident upon the mountainside with Leyra, Zar’roc and Elizabeth still nagged at the back of his mind. He had never found out what the true cause of the incident was, but the fact that the herd was predominantly racist had left a slightly sour taste in his mouth. He tried to overlook it as best he could, for there were more important matters at hand.

Forgive me,” was all he said, placatingly, hoping it was enough but doubting that it was. He blinked, looking at her with a well disguised expression of curiousity and apprehension, though he wasn’t going to be quick to judge and pin her as a figure to avoid- it did seem to be his fault after all. Chernobyl seemed to dislike him, as if in some way the fact that they were trapped in here while a storm raged outside their icy haven had been his doing, but he couldn’t be sure what exactly provoked her. Perhaps it was her personality, or she was just having a bad day. He wasn’t exactly enjoying the forecast either, but it was difficult to decipher her expressions; some he knew by heart, though he had difficulty unraveling the portent seething beneath their verbiage.

I am a Phantom. I’ve spent a good portion of my life lying and swindling… a bad habit I picked up in my homeland, I suppose, though it has done me some good,” he responded, deciding he might as well be open with her, though his mind still troubled over the fact that she found his name odd. He quite liked it, but then again he liked himself a great deal. She had asked what made tick, and so he had given her the truthful answer for better or for worse. There wasn’t much she could do to use the information again him, for his occupation clearly stated that duplicity was his tool of the trade, but he supposed it might not be the best information to share when she already seemed to think ill of him.

Roland did feel slightly uncomfortable, but it was more that he was flustered and surprised at her reaction than made nervous by her. He attempted to appear confident in most situations, but there was no lion’s heart in his chest; beneath his ego and the occasional false bravado, he was a coward. Perhaps Chernobyl responded to him so unkindly because he had been too foreword, for he could see that one might not respond kindly when a stranger appears out of a dark flurry of snow and begins talking about feelings and the like, before he had even learned her name; but she had caught him off guard with her reaction. It had never been his intention to put her at unease.

He felt almost like a child as she spoke to him, but he was determined to not respond in a manner that might be received as petulant. He looked out at the gray sky and whirlwind of snowflakes with disdain, wondering how he might word his response in a way that would not stoke her ire. “I didn’t pay much mind to the weather until I came to the Basin, honestly. Snow has never been a favourite thing of mine, so it is taking some time to adjust,” he admitted, voice level despite the fact that he felt his fur had been rubbed the wrong way.

Chernobyl continued, and the Phantom turned away from the mouth of the cave to give her a calculating look, wondering at exactly what game she was trying to play. If she was attempting to get a rise out of him, she would find he wasn’t easily provoked even though her harsh words did irk him. Still, he did not feel compelled to respond rudely since she had done nothing to harm him, despite the fact that he now sported a slightly wounded ego, for he held himself in high regard.

This is no inconvenience to me. Would you rather I didn’t enjoy it? ” He questioned, a playful glint in his eyes. If she was going to take such a negative tone with him, he could only try and make light of the situation. He had no intentions of braving the storm that raged outside, so they would have to learn to put up with each other until it passed; and he was not entirely opposed to the idea. For all her thorniness, there was an air of intrigue about her, despite the fact that she cast off his attempts at being kind like water upon her back.

walk walk walk
"talk talk talk"

Psilo

Chernobyl

She could see that she had irked him and she regretted her audacity for a moment before trying to avoid it altogether. She had never wanted to be so unfeeling as to cause others discomfort, but it was hard for her to understand their emotions when hers were so few and far between. With a curious turn of her head, she cast a longing gaze out across the plains of the Arch and debated her current course of action. She wanted to find a friend in Roland, but she could not help but struggle with the force of her pained heart. She did not trust him and did not know if she wanted to… but overall, she had no vices against being civil. After all, it was not every day that she found anyone worth sharing her stories with, even if they were only small fragments of truth amidst an ocean of lies. “No need to apologize. I have no reason to hold you accountable for my foul moods.

She looked hopefully to the chestnut stallion, still unable to figure out if he prodded her with the idea of satisfying ulterior motives. However, with a sigh she let her uncertainties die. He was not asking for her darkest secrets and he did not come to pester her with intolerable inquisitions… No, he was just a creature looking for comfort in the middle of a wintry storm just the same as she. Her sides expanded with her breathing and as she let her worries drift out and along the gusts of freezing wind, she turned to him with a new resolve. “A life spent swindling does not sound like much of an achievement. But I must ask; what on earth were you swindling and lying about that could possibly influence you to become a Phantom here in Helovia?” Her eyes had widened in curiosity because, at last he had shared with her information worth attracting her undivided attention.

For a moment she pondered what he must have looked like back then- a common thief working for his own survival or perhaps he had been ordered to commit such sin? Her fantasies were able to run away with her for a while before she finally turned her gaze back to Roland with newfound fascination. They were obviously from two totally different walks of life and yet when stuck together… they were nearly the same. Her past had colored her in the darkest shades of agony and his has tainted him with a sinner’s touch. How they expressed their former lives was what made them drastically different and perhaps it wasn’t such a bad thing after all. He was friendly enough and while Chernobyl wasn’t typically and understanding creature, she did try to give others the benefit of the doubt.

I suppose that the cold requires some ‘getting used to’, but I can honestly say that it never gets any easier. It’s just a mental conflict that causes you discomfort…” Perhaps that was why it was so simple for her to adjust- the cold in her heart had eased the physical cold of her body and her life in the Basin. She didn’t like to admit that she was comfortable residing in the frozen wasteland for such a dismal attraction, but she hadn’t found it to be difficult to adjust upon coming to Helovia. She was just merely acclimated to the dreary forecast of her lack of optimism and it allowed her to move seamlessly from one extremity to another. However, when the Unicorn spoke once more, she could tell that he was not so naïve when it came to accommodation. After all, he had warmed to her quite satisfactorily even after all of her attempts to buffer their conversation.

And if I said yes, what would you have of me?” The devilish smile that followed such a tempting sentiment did little to deflect her growing curiosity for Roland. Odd name aside, he was an intriguing animal and for an instant she was glad that fate had brought them together- even if the circumstances were less than appealing.
image credits
table by whit

OOC| I had to go to bed knowing that I had all my replies up tonight. C:

pixel is by RELI<3

Glo

A small smile crept onto Roland’s lips as Chernobyl dismissed his apology and the mood seemed to lighten a fraction, despite the fact that the cave they sheltered in was dark, the thick downfall of snow blocking out the evening light. He did not say anything in response, but met her gaze kindly when she looked to him and raked in a heavy sigh. The dark mare’s next words shocked him, and his eyebrows lifted a fraction as he took in her words and wondered at how he was to respond to such a question.

He studied Chernobyl in silence for a moment, wondering if he should really disclose the information to someone who was all but a stranger to him. It had been a long time since he’d spoken about the war, or mulled over his tumultuous childhood. He had been raised an orphan, growing up around other children who had no real parents of their own, but were mothered by mares who had devoted their lives to those who had no families. With so many other foals, it was difficult to keep an eye on the rebellious colt who discovered he got quite a kick out of stealing others belongings- convincing them that they didn’t want them anymore, but he would do them a favour and take them off their hands- and conning the other children into doing things for them.

His habit of lying grew as time wore on, as well as his tendency to chase after the fillies, and he recalled several scoldings from illegitimate mothers who swore he’d break a lot of hearts one day. It was an addiction that had started when he was young, perhaps a way of coping with his abandonment, and had grown into something that consumed his very life and laced his words with false promises. But the dark mare seemed to be genuinely interested in his past, which felt slightly strange to Roland as he had never bothered to find out much about the faces that he met in passing, but they were trapped for the time being, and if it was a story she was interested in, then he could offer one.

Perhaps he had not achieved much in his past besides his efforts in the war, but their side had been victorious in the end, so his hard work through those bloody weeks had to count for something. He tilted his head slightly and eyed the snow swept ground, a thoughtful look upon his face. “I lied about many things,” he replied at first, shrugging. “It was done out of selfishness to begin with… but once I realized I had a talent for it I began using it to my advantage, like one might wield a weapon. Physical combat isn’t exactly my strong suit, so when my homeland fell into civil war I joined the battle as a spy.

Intelligence had been greatly lacking, so he was one of the very few who were sent over enemy lines to lurk in the shadows and lure information from the mouths of the less attentive warriors. When the Pegasi had been sent in from Evendim the relief had been palpable, and knowing the odds were swaying in their favour had allowed Roland to walk with a lighter step. Without them they might have never been successful. He doubted he would ever meet some of the soldiers that had fought by his side again, but they had been as close to him as blood brothers during the grueling days of battle. He didn’t miss the fear of being caught, or the sight of blood spilled across the darkened ground, but he grieved for the friendships that he had left behind. Never in his life had he known bonds as strong as those he had forged in the midst of conflict.

For a short time, I was forced to work alongside the enemy and pretend that I was one of them. It was very unnerving for me, but once we received reinforcements, Pegasi from the north, I retreated to our base and spent the majority of my time questioning prisoners,” he added after a moment of silent reflection, figuring he might have lost her among the details when he had offered no back story, but assumed she would be able to follow him nonetheless. “To answer your question, the war affected my lifestyle profoundly, and as a result of it many things changed for me. Lying was, and is still, a useful skill of mine, though it has both saved me and been my downfall. I came to Helovia in hopes of starting fresh, but duplicity is all I have to define myself so I must put it to good use. Conning is not a very desirable habit, but I do not intend to abuse it.

He had not exactly left his homeland by choice; rather he had stretched his luck too far, only to have a carefully structured network of falsities come crashing down on his head. After the war had ended, he had allowed himself to become thickly caught up in the power of fraud, and the cocky way in which he had conducted himself had caused things to take a turn for the worst. He had been chased from his home and the makeshift family that had never meant anything to him to begin with. It was all behind him now though, and by coming to Helovia he had intended to leave his past behind and turn over a new leaf.

To Chernobyl’s following inquiry, he smiled back at her and laughed softly. “I would say you have strange preferences, but I am a very good actor when I want to be. If you wish me to be unhappy here, I’d bet I could erase all doubt in your mind that I was ever enjoying myself,” he responded, feeling quite sure of himself as he often did. Roland was relieved that he could now relax in the mare’s company, as she seemed to accept his presence regardless of whether she trusted him yet or not.

walk walk walk
"talk talk talk"

Psilo

She wasn’t sure if she found his story shocking or just plain fitting for the boy. He was undeniably charming and witty, something she did not often find in members of the opposite gender and though she was a bit of a prude at times, she could sense that he walls were finally crashing around her. Roland was a classic stud in every sense of the word, right from his gorgeous blue eyes down to his novel good looks. Chernobyl wasn’t one to be tempted but she certainly didn’t mind admiring the boy for what he was- a trickster. However, that did not limit him when it came to their newly acquired friendship because there was a certain honesty about him that defied everything he claimed to be. The black mare could only assume that he did not lie to her under the pretenses of being probed and prodded for information, lies upon lies… it just seemed like a bit of a chore if her sincerely planned to dupe her.

However, the more his story unfolded, the more Chernobyl felt that for every lie, reason existed. Could she blame him for working to survive or doing what he must to get by? She turned impervious black eyes to his as though her gaze might give him encouragement in spite of her lack of true interest. Her mind had wandered far from his tales to ponder what it must have felt like to resort to such a lifestyle of thievery and disdain. Had he been caught, he would have died no doubt and for some reason she felt that she would be saddened by such an event because then she would never had had the pleasure of meeting the Basin’s one and only conman.

“At least your conning was eventually given purpose… Though, Roland, I don’t suppose you pose any threat to me do you?” Her smile was taunting if not playful, a bait for the boy who knew more about temptation than even Chernobyl herself. She had no doubt that he could talk his way through her incessant inquiries and threadbare comebacks, but she felt that her honesty or rather her forwardness had a way of throwing him off guard.

Again, after much debate (that included fixing her depthless eyes upon the brewing storm beyond the hollow and wondering where exactly the conversation was headed) she settled upon shifting slightly so that she might rest more comfortably at the stallion’s side. Her hips fell back and her shoulders slumped against the quiet breeze that whistled in from the plains. She was certainly not concerned with appearances and for once had no reason to be. “ I trust that you can be an honorary citizen should the notion strike you, but I only hope that the Basin provides such an incentive because I’d hate to see you cast out as due punishment for feeble crimes. After all, I quite enjoy your company in spite of such unfortunate circumstances.

Chernobyl thought of Psyche and how the raven warrior would react to such misdemeanors as she chewed idly on a dried twig she had plucked from the cave’s stony floor. It was not that she was hungry or even habitual when it came to such random acts of discomfort (for there was nothing pleasant in the taste or feel of dried bark against her tongue); but boredom had caused her to seek entertainment elsewhere when conversation was dismal at best. “ I wouldn’t say that I’d enjoy your disdain, but I am curious to see your work in action…” A wicked smile touched her lips and she laughed, though the sound was not at all as dark and ominous as she felt. “ Work your magic Roland, make me believe you were never enjoying yourself.

It didn’t take long for the black lady to cease her chewing because she knew entertainment was about to be something well worth the discomfort.

pixel is by RELI<3

Glo

Truthfully, Roland liked being the center of attention. Even if he was being subject to Chernobyl’s judgement and her studious gaze, he was all rapt diligence and intentness. He had a habit of changing his character depending on whose company he entertained, and so every opinion formed of him was different and yet equally engrossing. His eyes widened slightly when she finally questioned him, but he laughed despite his initial shock. It was not an uncommon thought to cross the minds of those who knew him for what he truly was, and so he was prepared to answer without hesitation. “You have nothing to worry about from me. Not yet, anyway,” he responded with a wink, words carrying no purpose except to tease.

Chernobyl shifted beside him and Roland looked down at the snow swept ice beneath their feet, absorbing her speech with a curious glance towards her. He was strangely touched by her comment, for he had not been spoken to with much care for a very long time, and to see someone have hopes for him when they had just met mere minutes ago it seemed, made him smile. He didn’t want to sour the moment by explaining to her that it would not be the first time he had been cast from a family’s favour as a result of his work, so he merely nodded and fixed her with a grateful look. “And I enjoy yours.” He considered himself lucky to have made a friend despite the ill circumstances, for being chased from the open air by a roaring storm while thoughts of war, past and future, clouded his mind hadn’t exactly led him to believe that it would be a good day.

There was the intonation of an oncoming inquiry in Chernobyl’s voice when she next spoke, and Roland returned her smile while absorbed in anticipation. In the end he was not disappointed, though her request made him feel slightly nervous. She didn’t seem as suggestive of mind as many of the others he had manipulated, and perhaps his attempts would not live up to her expectations. All the same, there was a keen glint in his eyes as he accepted her challenge with a minute nod of his head, stepping forwards so he might give himself room to work. The movement was a good distraction from his brief silence, though it took mere moments for him to derive a plan.

He decided on something she probably wouldn’t expect, which was honesty. By making his explanation believable, it would only make it all the more easy for the victim, if you will, to buy his story. His hooves clacked across the ground as he turned back to face her, now calm and collected. There was no playful smile dancing across his lips, no tension in the way that he stood. He was confident as he met her gaze, voice smooth as silk yet smoky at the same time.

From the beginning I could have been playing you and you would have been none the wiser. It is something that I often do, fake friendships to benefit myself, so why would this situation, us being forced to endure each other’s company until the storm subsides, be any different?” He questioned, stepping closer to her. “When I first joined the Basin I had assumed I was making a good choice. I was tying myself to a purpose, working for a cause, but I quickly found out that this herd is not what it seemed to me at first. In Tallsun, not long after Mauja had recruited me, I heard screaming from the cliffs and approached to find two of our herdsmates attacking another, simply because she had helped a Pegasus.

Realizing that I had joined a herd where racists make up the majority of the population, I began to doubt my choice. I had been raised to accept all creatures regardless of their appearance, and the fact that some of my own kind discriminates simply because others do not have horns disgusts me. Now I approach new faces with caution and the slightest amount of dislike.” He finally began to entwine honesty with falsity as he continued, aware that he was no doubt spinning her a very unappealing representation of himself. “How am I to know that you aren’t racist? That you haven’t judged me because I once fought alongside Pegasi and grew close enough to consider them kin? You’re lucky that I even trusted you with that story,” his tone grew bitter, gaze hardening as he looked away from her for a moment, breathing deeply before he returned to his scrutiny.

So really, you were just inviting me to tell the truth. Ever since I entered this cave I have been willing for the storm to cease so I might spend my time with those whom I already trust.” His tail swished against his hocks, face expressionless as he continued to watch her, anticipating her reaction. He would not let the guise fall until she had spoken, else he would break the illusion he had formed and she would have reason to doubt him, if she had not seen through his harsh words and pointed looks already.

walk walk walk
"talk talk talk"

Psilo
Chernobyl smiled at his halfhearted threat. She knew that he was smart enough to indulge her when she most diligently asked for it, especially when it came to personalities such as Roland’s. He was intriguing in such a way that she often turned her head just to stare at him when he spoke. She didn’t care if he found her enthusiasm slightly uncomfortable or unwanted because it was merely her nature. She couldn’t recall ever being so serious with Murdock, but as it would appear, Roland was quite a different character. The dark mare was pleased with the idea that she had finally found a “friend” of sorts in the Basin after so long. In fact, it had been quite a while since she’d even carried out a conversation with one of her own family members; would that be considered wrong?

On another note, she was content to mind her own affairs instead of meddling in those she could not understand. That’s not to say that she was be deterred from offering help where help was needed, but at least she didn’t waste much time suffering through the mediocre highlights of her herd land. They were much like pigeons, always fluffing and puffing when threats of war were near and yet no war ever came. Even if it did, she was sure they’d be prepared… after all they did harbor some of the darkest creatures to reside in Helovia. She assumed there was nothing good or bad to be said of the matter, but she still didn’t have a good explanation for the way they danced about like chickens when things got tough.

As her thoughts wandered, she smiled to herself trying to depict how and why she had ever joined the Basin in the first place. Perhaps she had expected to find another so filled with hatred as she. But as it would appear, she was not as malicious as formerly thought. In fact, she was a bit more lighthearted than usual. Of course, she had Murdock to blame for that as well as the way he made her heart pound at the mere sight of him.

She really needed to do something about that; she was becoming some lovesick puppy and that was completely unacceptable.

With a violent toss of her dark head, Chernobyl returned her undying attention to Roland who had continued to blather on while her thoughts had been long departed. However, she was quick enough to catch a few bits and morsels of “Pegasi” and “mistrusting the members of the Basin”. However, none of this came as a shock to her, because didn’t she feel quite the same way? Was she not the one so endlessly in love- wait, love? Was she truly in love with Murdock or was it a mere infatuation… She couldn’t tell but as she stared blankly at Roland (who no doubt expected at least some kind of acknowledgement), she tried to debate whether or not she loved Murdock. The idea was appalling and better yet unheard of her in short time on earth, but her affections went beyond those of the flesh and onto something deeper and more personable.

Perhaps she had fallen in love, in spite of everything her mother had put her through.

Perhaps you and I are not so different then conman. I don’t suppose that I have any reason to trust you nor do I have any reason to share with you intimate details of my life… but we’ve done as much so far, have we not? I find that you’ve accepted me in order to tell me such truth as you call it, so tell me… how does one share so much without being able to trust the one he shares with? I hold no prejudice for the Pegasi race my friend, none at all. In fact, you’ll be lucky enough to know that one of them holds my affections indefinitely.” Her smile seemed to widen at her admission and though she felt overwhelmed with such freedom, she couldn’t help but feel slightly ashamed.

Her mother had always told her that her love would be tainted and impure. If that was the truth, how long would it take her to imprint such fallacies upon Murdock himself? How long before he was devoid of any of the previous color that painted his life in happiness? She was pained at the thought of his misery and instantly tried to abandon all thoughts of him- she could not endure his downfall.

pixel is by RELI<3

Glo
never take advice from someone who just admitted to being devious and just confessed to treason

When he wasn’t wrapped up in the act of playing a charlatan, Roland was often seen as uneasy and wary, but when he was working a scam he was confident. He could take any idea and flesh it into a character, albeit flat; could become an angel in a harmless world or a vengeful beast seeking out a thrilling chase, all the while erasing any trace of his true self seen from the outside. The gaze he fixed Chernobyl with was not wavering or uncertain, but solid and sure, as firm as the words he spoke without pause. He did not stall or trip over his tongue, for the story had been laid out in his mind before he had even begun to speak. When he had finished, he awaited her reaction with a solemn gaze.

The black mare had seemed somewhat distant when he had begun to speak, but that didn’t deter the Phantom. When he had first stumbled across her Roland had assumed there was something else on her mind, so it was no surprise to him that the matter still vied for her attention. He smiled slightly, allowing the stiffness to leave his muscles and the flinty edge to fade from his eyes as Chernobyl finally spoke.

A slight frown creased his brow and Roland tilted his head to the side, as if that would help him find the answer that he sought. The dark mare had an intriguing way of making him think, questioning himself when he had never really given his impulses and action much thought beforehand. Troubling as it was, he found it oddly endearing; and, quite the opposite of his earlier words, his enjoyment of her company only increased with every question posed to him. Why was it that he was so comfortable being honest even around those who had given him no reason to trust them?

Honesty is… refreshing after spending so much time spinning false stories,” he began, not so articulately. “You seem like someone I can trust, or at least you’ve given me no reason to doubt your intentions, so I can only return the favour by telling the truth.” He looked up at her and smiled. “It’s a bit of an old habit, honestly. During the war, when I was undercover on the other side, I found it easier to connect with their soldiers by telling them about myself. We shared stories on occasion, and the more they knew about me the faster they ceased questioning my loyalty. It was a useful way to bond with those I needed to manipulate, as harsh as it sounds.” His ears perked when Chernobyl mentioned the Pegasi, and he was silently relieved that she was not another racist. It wasn’t true that he immediately disliked every supremacist he met, but he felt more inclined to befriend those who were not concerned with the presence of a horn, or lack thereof.

Oblivious to the fact that the Pegasus in question was once his closest comrade and assuming it was no creature he knew, Roland cast Chernobyl a good natured grin, adding, “lucky man,” with a soft laugh. It was surprising that she would trust him with such information when she did not know what he might do with it. Already he had confessed to her that he made a habit of being untrustworthy. But he had no intentions of misusing this information, and it would be a secret kept between themselves. Love was a curious thing, though he himself had never truly found it. Roland turned his head, looking disdainfully at the curtain of snow that swirled outside of the cave’s frozen maw. “That must be difficult… living in the Basin, I mean, when so many reject the other races.” Each word breathed into the open air manifested as steam, a pale smoke blossoming into existence when met with such a chill. The Orangemoon storms would take some getting used to, though Roland wasn’t sure if he would ever grow accustomed to the northern climate. Chernobyl herself had said that it didn’t get any easier.

image credits