the Rift

[OPEN] Remember the light (Paladin, Open)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 Light them up.</style>

The leaves had just started to change color, the grass leaned as an autumn wind beat it into submission. Tonight was an evening that seemed uninterrupted by the evil doings and going on’s of others. Tonight I walked and talked softly to myself, words intangible through the mutterings of a worshiper. Besides, who other than the gods would care about hearing a prayer? I shared with one god in particular, for he was my father, my rock. “Earth lord”, I whispered to the diamond sky, “be with me, light my path with your grace and mercy.” A shadow had fallen across the land, our world was under siege, yet the attack was dealt out by people that bore our faces. My own son had come across a fool who not only appeared as me, but also wore my father’s armor—and even claimed to have the same name. Midas. Had the secret evil in my heart, the same evil I had tried to smother—had it returned?

At first when Cera had told me, anger bloomed. I wanted nothing more than to expose this trespasser, but as I thought on it more and more; a realization came—I wasn’t ready to kill. Not yet. Wound yes. Not kill. My heart was tender, a healing spirit thrust into the life of a warrior. I tried to walk the golden path, tiptoeing the line between life and death. Good and evil. In all honesty, was my soul more clean then the most tainted? Ktulu had called me to her side, offered Cera and myself a home. Loyality to the throat demanded that I turn such requests down before they had even arisen.

She could see it though, even if I would not say. My heart yearned to follow, to walk in those silver footsteps and shield her from a bitter world. Yet, I didn’t, I remained permanently fashioned to the Throat. A decision that brought no regret. Dragon’s Throat was the place of my birth, I had seen my mentor die there. A son had been lost there, my parents had bled for its sand. Just as the power to move earth grew within me, so did the desire to perminatly see our home forever protected. Until the day came when either endless sleep overcame my strength as it did Azzuen, or Kri discharged me from duty.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

Darkness. It cradled him like an old friend, touched him with soft, cool hands. It whispered of frost and fiery leaves, of snow and cold to come, of the long, deep sleep of all things when winter held the lands in its frigid grip. Mauja's eyes closed as his white head was raised, starlight bathing his face and lighting him up with a soft, pearly glow. Living further south than he had been bred for certainly had its drawbacks, and his visibility at night was one of them. A faint smile curled his lips. But he wasn't dead yet — and his greatest enemies were not wolves and mountain lions, but the other horses of Helovia. A predator would leave once it realized the risk was too great, but he was not so sure all inhabitants would be so easily put off. But then again.. why would they want to kill him? Sighing quietly, Mauja opened his eyes. Who knew? He'd not done anything, yet everyone always treated him and his like they were evil. Nevermind that some of them were evil, and had grand plans, but when they had done nothing..? He shook his head. Amazing, how the victors wrote history and decided what was truth or not.

Movement caught his attention. Light glinted off a white back, white wings, caught an almost metal gleam; Mauja blinked, and wished he could drift back into shadows, but there were none to be found upon an open sea of dying thistles. He was alone with the washed-out green and tan, as visible as a snowdrift upon a dark rock, if not more so with the moonlight tracing his every contour with bright hands. His breathing quietened, his heart a drum-like noise in the back of his mind as the winds stirred, shifted, danced; memory spun, slowly sifting through the events of soon a year ago. The memory of fire was not at all pleasant, and a slight shiver went up his spine. This stallion had been there when the Edge fell — he had fought against them. For what? Glory? Loyalty to Kri, who was loyal to Mirage? Why was there no justice in this world, to drag them before the Gods and declare them villains, for stealing that which belonged to him? Why the fuck was the Moon a sly, backstabbing bitch?

Mauja didn't know his name. Mauja didn't want to know his name. He was one of Kri's dogs; how many herds had he ousted of their homes? Mauja's, and then the Foothills? Neither of them had been his battle. Neither of them had been Kri's. White ears flattened against an equally white neck. The peace he had sought, the peace he had briefly found, was shattered, like fragile glass on hard, cold rock. Anger, from the inflamed wound in his mind, spread like poison through his veins, irrational hatred rising up from the bottom of his soul.

It was childish and he knew it, kept his jaws locked too tight as his body vibrated with the deep need to tear something to pieces.

[ .. not what I expected. >__>; ]
Mauja Frosthjärta
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 Light them up.</style>

A glimmer, shining through the painted timbers. The cool breeze shifted, announcing the presence of another just as my eyes rose to make whoever stood nearby tangible. He was watching me, thinking lord knew what. I stared in turn at the speckled snow beast, wondering for only a brief moment before recognizing instantly who peered through the dark. Mauja. I knew his name from the many times we had collided in the Threshold, helping others. I had been a soldier then, almost directly after our brief meetings we had gone to war with the unicorns of the Edge. My leaders choosing which side of politics to play at. But that hadn’t been the last time my eyes witnessed. If memory served correctly, my last meeting with this stallion had been during the last winter. We had moved as one to save a mare.

A mare who had passed from this world despite our best intentions.

Now here again he stood, when my spirit was low. Softly I called out to this strange brother, a brother who had a way of entering and disappearing from my life, “It has been a long while—“ I muse, “The days have favored you?” It was polite but airing on the side of caution. For I didn’t know how long he had been standing by, watching me with narrowed brow. Was it possible he still held resentment for orders that had been above my head?

Ascended Helovian

The rustle of wings stirred the silence, a flash of starlight upon broad white wings. Mauja's eyes jerked upwards for a moment, the bright lights chasing the darkness from his gaze; Irma rolled over, once, and slammed a jumble of emotions into his head. Mostly it consisted of her annoyance, and a rather unflattering opinion of him. If he wanted to spend the minutes with the poison of anger seeping through his veins, it wasn't her business, was it? What was it to her if he felt like ripping someone apart? He scowled after her white shape as she disappeared in the distance, felt her cold, detached amusement (you'll regret it later, but if you truly want to, go ahead and attack, you know the consequences) and the slight annoyance (don't get in over your head and make me save you). His ears lessened their tight clamp against his neck, but remained back.

The worst part? She was right. Being furious at the injustice, when injustice and hypocrisy was prevalent, was just.. pointless. And taking it out on someone else? It wasn't the two-toned Pegasus he was angry at, really; it was his fucking commander, Kri the Bitch. He could respect her ferocity, her devotion to her herd, but the bottom line was that he did not like her. At all.

And, he had been seen.

Mauja drew in a deep breath, watching the stallion move around to face him, call out. He closed his eyes. Held his breath. Breathed out. "If you have to know, the days have been shitting on me," he muttered to himself. He had to get the words out, to clear them from his system, but he had a feeling it wasn't something he should tell Midas. Inhale, hold, exhale; blue eyes opened in the dark, ears tentatively sweeping forward. Could he trust himself to hold his temper now? Maybe. Probably. Fury was something he seldom caved in to, but he'd been restless as of late, and that creepy Delinne bitch hadn't made it better. "A long time indeed," he replied, pleased at how smooth his voice was, and inwardly hoping he would not be questioned to his silence, why he had not responded immediately. Giving his head a shake, as if to rattle his thoughts and toss them out, Mauja began to move, drifting a little closer. Did he even need to answer the half-question? Could he lie through gritted teeth and force smiles into his eyes, pretend that the days had been kind to him?

Dancing upon the knife's edge, he preferred honesty where he could. Let him assume what he will, let him make what he will of my silence. "How have you been?" I don't even know your name, soldier.
Mauja Frosthjärta
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>
 Light them up.</style>

Was it so hard for everyone to just get along? I was a reasonable sort of fellow—following the golden rule that stated, treat others how you would want to be treated. My lips didn’t run absent thought, blades didn’t flash absent proper reason. Why our world couldn’t simply swallow pride and allow everyone to live peacefully; perhaps I wouldn’t need my armor in a land where nobody lied. I could spend time with my family, time with Ktulu. A set of small wings open, snow white and speckled with ebony marks. My attention shifts, watching as the gracefully predator rose to leave us in privacy. I was glad that Fina remained at home—she didn’t get along with other Avian’s.

Softly the ice king replied, “If you have to know, the days have been shitting on me.”

‘You don’t say’, I thought with sarcasm that wasn’t often my trademark. Join the depressed club. Everyone seemed a little down lately; maybe it was something in the water. A chemical gone array, impregnating mares, making us see double, and forming emotions in hardened warriors to the point they started belly aching like a woman.

So many things could have been added, instead I remained quiet. The ball was still in his court—he used the silence to mull over whatever it was that was being mulled over. Finally pale lips parted again, “A long time indeed.” My eyes rose from their leveled position with earth, was it going to be prying session between us now? His words are slow to come but at least they didn’t hold a bitter bite.

This much hasn’t surprised me. When he asks, “How have you been?” I find myself falling back into a web of protection—a mental shield of sorts that would block tangible emotion from slipping through. This was no clan brother, I wasn’t even sure if he was my friend. No matter how much of my heart desired for that to change, he likely didn’t share the same notions as a tender hearted fool. So I sealed my lips from uttering nonsense and just settled for, “The days have grown longer and harder since the time of my youth; it’s no longer only black and white—good and right.”

“I have been enduring what is required of me.” What was required of a warrior and father. A lover, brother, and friend.

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

PALADIN
The sound of iron shocks is stuck in my head

Paladin did not belong. Like a relic from another age, he was floating through the earth with little purpose. His time had passed. His era had been destroyed by shadows, and he had been too weak to save his home. Silverline was lost to him, and his son had abandoned his warriors like a coward. Everything was cracked, and his life had little meaning. Soleil and he were no longer the strong, loving force that they once had been; they were different in a way that was no longer cut like two matching puzzle pieces. He had changed, and right now, he was trying just to float.

His sons had disappeared and turned into monsters. His daughters were stepping on the code of the warrior he had held so dear his entire life. The family he used to take so much pride in was falling apart, running in a direction that clashed with his own morals. The Edge was a sanctuary in which he could disappear, but participating was even an effort in futility. In every way the ocean of life seemed to be beating against him, wearing him down like a stone. Perhaps he would emerge smooth and polished, but he felt like he was drowning.

The father, warrior and former lead wandered for the first time in a long time from the woods of the Edge into the Thistle Meadow, the chill of the night cooled his scarred and mutilated black hide, hiding him in shadows. Crimson eyes scanned the horizon on instinct, the drills of his childhood never slipping or faltering. In every way, Paladin was like a machine of war, blessed (or cursed?) wish compassion. Life would be easier if he embraced his father's teachings like his sisters, and sometimes, he was tempted to.

The black dun saw two familiar features in the distance. Paladin clenched his jaw, trying to quell his paranoia that the white and black spotted king of the former edge and now Basin. Why fate had favored him with land after a loss irked the stallion to no end, but he held his tongue and approached quietly, solid hooves making thick impressions on the ground. The black dun barely caught the edge of the conversation between the ice king and the warrior who had fought for his daughter's cause. If he knew the stallion's name, he had forgotten, isolated as he had been.

"I mirror your sentiments," Paladin murmured quietly, nodding to the black and white painted stallion. The stallion still spoke with an eloquence from another age, the pattern of his speech too proper for the scars on his body. Paladin case a glance at Mauja. "You were watching the battle my daughter's waged on the Foothills. Why?" For once, there was no accusation in his tone, only suspicious curiosity.

Ascended Helovian

I'm fading, barely breathing, can't hold on...

Whatever it was that he had been feeling, the discordance seemed to be infectious. Mauja lived in a wild land with those who froze their hearts and masked their souls — countless times had he seen the lid settle behind their eyes, closing off the jar of their secrets. It was a subtle shift, but as his restless eyes lay upon Midas, he saw it, and wondered what it was that the painted stallion wanted to hide. Himself, or something specific? And why? Was it the disturbance he sensed from Mauja, the ragged remnants of anger and annoyance? He does not trust me, the Frostheart thought, knowing it to be true, and warranted. Was he not the enemy of all of Helovia? Again he quelled the bitterness, gaze snapping to a dark shadow approaching under the starlight, even as Midas' voice formed words. “I have been enduring what is required of me.” Did he suspect the reason for Mauja's faded anger was Kri, and the battles? Mauja sighed, and turned his head aside, peering out across the thistles even as one ear flicked, listening to Paladin as he drew near.

But he was given no chance to respond, explain, to even sort through what he felt about standing there with two stallions he barely knew and easily could call enemies. Paladin saw to that. "You were watching the battle my daughters' waged on the Foothills. Why?" For a moment Mauja remained silent, fighting down all the rising emotions and half-formed reasons — fighting down the uneven beat of his heart, the specters both white and black dancing in the fog. He did not need this uncertainty, this.. this dual longing, the desire of a perfect dream he would only sully with his presence. Yet he could not help but be acutely aware of the fact that Paladin was her father, and that he was closer in age to Mauja than she was. Was it an uncomfortable thought? In many ways, yes; in some ways, no. Knowing that he had not been able to cast the emotions aside was, perhaps, even worse, as day by day he plunged deeper into the life where they had no place.

"I am a friend of Ophelia's," he finally said, his voice light, and turned his head back to them. While there was something akin to life in him, in the cast of his eyes and the lines of his body, the depths of his souls, and thoughts, was masked by the ever-present shield laying just below the surface of his gaze. But only a fool would think him heartless, a dead statue of marble and ice. "Tinek sought me out to ask my help, but I was too late." He gave a shrug of his snowy shoulders, and sought to smooth out his own wrinkled, cranky mind; in one breath he damned Kri for sticking her nose where it didn't belong, and in the next he admitted to the fact that he would've helped if he could've. It certainly would've been a sight — Mauja and Kri, fighting on the same side, but it did nothing to soothe his own guilt at the hypocrisy.

Fortunately for you, you didn't attack him, Irma pointed out, gleeful of his insight and sadistically mirthful of his self-dug hole. She had no time for idiots, and he was being one.
Mauja Frosthjärta
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>
 Light them up.</style>

The presence of another came upon us. My head turns a fraction of an inch, one eye peering to gauge who decided to join our pleasant duo. A man, colored the same as…as my lady and her sister? Brows shifted down until they very nearly furrowed deep within my forehead which would surely cause a wrinkle across my much younger (but still stressed face). Time had etched early worry lines across this façade, it wouldn’t hurt to add a few more folds in this moment. It wasn’t confusion that led to this, but withheld curiosity.

“I mirror you sentiments.” He nods to me and my head falls forward in a show of deference. Ivory painted limbs shuffle back a step to make room for his taller frame. It would seem that Mauja was out making friends, the crimson warmblood turned to him and uttered a question that verified my own personal query.

Gaze rose, my pools casting their light toward the ice king. “I am a friend of Ophelia’s.” Really? Not that I had ever asked, but she had never mentioned it, “Tinek sought me out to ask my help, but I was too late.” Help? (I really had to stop adding single word questions in my mind.) It was unusual that Ophelia would send her dragon to ask for help amid a battle; considering they Grey had outnumbered the foothills. Actually they the residents had been so outnumber myself, Apollo, and Kri all got the privilege of attacking a single draft fool who didn’t even smell of the herd he claimed to have been fighting for.

Lip pursed but my voice remains soft, “The battle was won without need for even my family to be among the ranks.” That little fray had been a huge disappointment to everyone; but in the end the victor had won a home; which in itself was a huge step forward. My temptress would be protected. Turning to the older male I added, “Its good to finally meet the father of such brilliant girls--I am Midas.” Now that I thought about it. I hadn’t ever introduced myself to Majua either, nor he too I. The reason his name was familiar to me was because once it had been on every tongue. Some with more distaste than others. Well—now he knew.

Deceased
Tamme

PALADIN

Paladin's crimson gaze did not waver or falter. He did not fear the hearts of others not what cruelty would sit in the icy sinews of their eyes. Why? Because he held a darkness in his soul that would forever taint every act of valor he made for the good of all. He was raised in fire and war, and his horn was often painted red, bodies littered like trampled flowers at his hooves. The stallion was not a good man, but he tried to redeem himself through his time as a leader, his family, and his interactions. Though many would still judge him for ousting Gossamer so long ago.

The breed that had come to reside here was weak and ineffectual. Their aversion to battle and the natural way of things would be their downfall. Their fear of death would bring it swiftly. Their alliances would crumble.

So as he stared into Mauja's eyes, the stallion did not look from the throne of righteousness, but from the battle ramparts of one who knew. One who could sympathize but not tolerate. One who had turned from his old life, determined to atone for his sins that sat in a massive, bloody pile in his heart, housing the demon that like to laugh at his failures and taunt him back into the monster he was.

Paladin was not sure what he was expecting, but Ophelia befriending the former Edge king was not one of his options. The stallion's brows furrowed over confused, crimson orbs, silver, graying muzzle twitching slightly. Why? Ophelia would not willingly befriend a racist bastard, her being hybrid and all, right? However, she always had a good heart, a kind heart, willing to accept the darkness in the world with a view that he did not even understand. She was this bulwark of unwavering temperance that confused him, alienated him from his pale daughter.

Instead, he chose to remain silent, tearing his gaze from Mauja to the golden eyes of Midas. Paladin listened to Midas, and he nodded. "I saw," he stated. "From when I lived there, I believe my daughters were expecting more, or at least the force of a bronze dragon and their lead." Jackal. Paladin's mind filled with disappointment before he lightly ticked an ear, as if a physical action could knock emotion from his skull.

"If I know Ophelia, she will not act unless she is sure of the outcome. Too much was unknown about that battle to not overcompensate," he said, not in defense, but from his own tactical knowledge. "I taught my daughters to only fight where there is an out in case of defeat and to know your enemy. With so much unknown, you have to assume the worst." Paladin was a brilliant tactician, having lead troupes of unicorns into the feathered fray to slaughter. He did not come to lead two herds for lack of ability.

For some reason, Midas' words struck him deeply. Was he their father? In blood, yes. But he had not been there. Ophelia had pushed him out and Ktulu had wandered into a realm where he could not approve of her actions. He supposed he was supposed to be supportive. But he had raised them better than mercenaries. He had taught them to fight with honor, for family, for friends. Not for... trinkets and other transient things. "It is a pleasure to meet you too, Midas," he said in return, ever proper. "How do you know them?" he asked curiously.

Slowly, his gaze turned back to Mauja. "Ophelia's friendship should not be taken lightly, I believe. I am her father and even I do not get to call her 'friend'." he said simply.

Ascended Helovian

Some things just weren't meant to go smoothly, or even moderately well, without giving you a bumpy ride first. The irritated part of him had begun to settle back into sleep, like a cat pleased when finally stroked by a patient hand, logic soothing his errant thoughts and hypocrisy humbling him. Mauja was not as cold as some would have the world think, nor as cold as he would have them think — he knew not only love, but other feelings, alive in so many more ways than just having a beating heart and blood in his veins. He had been ready to discard today's thoughts like the brooding of a bitter man still mourning a battle lost a year ago, that he was just busy monsterifying himself on behalf of Helovia when in truth they were not so at odds anymore... Had, perhaps, thought to have a decent conversation with two others who knew the plight of a soldier's life, and in one case, the plight of a leader's.

And in some way, it stung his frosted heart to see their reactions to his simple, bold statement, his claim of friendship he knew to be mutual — the caress of her wearied body after the battle, how she so willingly slept the immediate rush of the action off, knowing that he stood guard over her... It was not a trust you gave to strangers, yet there Paladin stood frowning, as if Mauja was some heartless beast incapable of feeling bonds, ties to other living creatures. Or was he just lamenting the fact that one of his own brood had turned to "the darkness"? It was well known Mauja had a few of his sisters living in his house, but friends with his daughter? Was that just too much to take, or what? And Midas had his lips pursed, and it took all of Mauja's control to not snap at the pair and stalk off like some drama queen; he kept his face and eyes smooth, trying to convince himself Midas was just upset he'd been dragged off to a war he truly didn't have a part in, winning such a victory that was hardly more than slaughter.

He dragged in a deep breath through widened nostrils, allowed it to fill out his lungs while he listened to Paladin telling them why they'd come in such numbers; it was no doubt that the Valiant himself had been raised in a war-torn country, and passed his gift on to Ophelia and Ktulu. As Mauja released his breath in a sigh he remembered Ophelia's words just after the battle, about Paladin leaving without a word — tactician in battle he might be, then, but not in emotional warfare. Midas claimed that Ktulu and Ophelia were "brilliant girls", and Mauja's unblinking eyes revealed little as he thought that Phi, yes, she was brilliant, but Ktulu? In a way he respected her, maybe even feared her hellish power, but typically he didn't wander around praising those who tried to choke him. Odd, how such violence had brought him and Ophelia together, but then again, Mauja had been her savior. His apathetic voice had at first earned him her scorn, but it was the same quiet voice which had bade — no, ordered — Deimos to cease his necromantic barrage. A small smile curled his lips as Paladin returned the greeting, Mauja's head rising up a fraction as his head fell to the side. Through the veil of his long forelock he peered at the black stallion, but the softness of his expression turned cold at the next words, the smile frozen stiffly in place as his memory called up the frown accompanying the news that Mauja the Frostheart had a friend.. or rather, that someone as good as Phi was interested in having a friendship with him.

"Are you insinuating I do?" he asked, perhaps a tad too coldly, but then he gave his head a small shake. It just wasn't a particularly good day for him. "I'm sorry — sometimes I plunge too deeply into bitterness. I value your daughter's friendship highly, you can be assured of that." Again, his head tilted, but there was something cautious, more guarded, in his eyes. He'd been ready to start relaxing, not trust them, no, not let them see all the small nuances giving his thoughts away, just breathe a little easier, but too many times had he been close to letting them actually harm him in his weakened state. Perhaps it was because he cared so much for the white mare — or perhaps he was just growing soft and stupid. "As you both know, I am Mauja. And tsk, Paladin, don't you think it is somewhat rude not to offer your own name in return when Midas here was such a gentleman and gave you his?" Despite the fact that they no doubt knew who he was, it felt good to say it — like he could somehow rope in a train coming off the tracks and set it back on the rails, bring it to a level where politics mattered less and the present more.. as if it could ward away everything while bringing it closer. And as he spoke the last, a slight hint of teasing came into his voice, an almost shy lopsided grin curling his lips, and a twinkle in his eyes obscuring the caution for now.
Mauja Frosthjärta
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>
 Light them up.</style>

This elder unicorn; who bore such resemblance to my fair lady--wasn’t someone I planned on ever crossing, ‘at least not in a bad way.’ In those bright blood pools sparked an understanding and intelligence that came from having lived a long and full life. Any show of disrespect would be a dishonor to my family name in the presence of this mighty warlord. Very few warriors actually made it to be called, ‘elder.’ I had seen only a hoof-full, and only in the largest of clans.

He answers my statement readily, and openly. I’m grateful for his, ‘to the point,’ nature. No tricks, no traps. I listen keenly, my eyes only falling from his gaze when I realized just how pitiful my musings over the battle had been. They had called us on the eve of expecting more fighters to actually fight, it was strategy to bulk their numbers and ensure victory. Of course…. Softly I reply, “Aye Sir.” It was hard not to feel wet behind the ears when standing in the presence of two battle hardened men. Their ways of war were still being learned, hard learned now that I had no mentor to train with. Without realizing it at first, my shoulders sagged, heavy with weighted thoughts. I relied on Sultana’s to fill in the gap of missing knowledge only brought about by youth- but more often than not they were busy with herd matters, and I with training Soldiers.

There is a return of my greeting, and then a question. The father inquired as to how I knew his daughters—slowly I lift my eyes to stare into his wise gaze, “They both lived in my homeland for a time—I knew them as my clan-sisters.“ They are my family. I wanted to say more, talk to him, and ask his permission to actually court Ktulu as my father had taught me to do. Yet…it felt awkward to express certain matters with the Ice King so close.

I sealed my tongue, the time would come as all things did for matters of the heart and proper eloquence. There would be water if the Lord willed it so. During the next few moments I merely listen to the two elder stallions discuss Paladin’s alabaster daughter, ‘Ophelia.’ Quietly I steal a glance across to Mauja, his gaze is chilling to look at—though I do not find reason to flinch away. They are particular to that of another unicorn, Apollo, yet it held not the gentle kindness of my healing friend. No. Those eyes bore something different, yet, perhaps not something wholly bad. I had seen his touch grow gentle, and posture soften—when helping others.

Where we really different?

“As you both know, I am Mauja.”

It was the first I had heard his name given life from those pale lips. Almost instantly I can feel one corner of my lip flick up, and the endless gold of my eyes soften just a little.

Deceased
Tamme

PALADIN

Ophelia and Ktulu had lived in the Dragon's Throat, yes. He was aware of this fact. When he was still ruling the Foothills they had decided to wander off on their own and them become a part of the desert herd. He found that unlike his pale daughter and wondered how much she tagged along after Ktulu and how much she decided on her own. "Not as any slight to you, but I always found that strange..." he trailed with a shrug of his shoulders. "Ophelia was never even fond of the Tides and Ktulu never seemed the type to be peaceable."

Paladin heard Mauja's cool reply, but he was not phased. Tempers were easily riled when loyalty and friendship was called into question. In a way, it made his care for his daughter even more real. Whether or not that was a good emotion was still up to the jury to decide upon. His apology was unnecessary, and Paladin simply nodded his head once to assure the stallion that he understood. The father could not help but wander what Ophelia had done to earn the Ice King's friendship, but perhaps he did not want to know. This entire encounter was becoming far more revealing that he anticipated.

Mauja then chided him on not giving his name and the Valiant's expression soured every so slightly before turning to Midas. "I am sorry, I thought you knew my name," he said. "I am Paladin with a long list of history that would most likely be boring. Needless to say, I am not young and this country was not my first home." He used to be something great where he used to rule, but now? Well, he saw himself as a washed up warrior and defective leader, floating around through life without purpose. Soleil had actually supported his daughters in their insulting adventure, presumably taking their son with her.

Whatever mood Paladin was in, it was not playful. Mauja's grinning antics only served to make the stallion stiffen his scarred figure and flare his nostrils in a bit of a snort. He was almost tempted to rub in the Ice King's face that he would be going back to the World's Edge, the land he helped rip out from under his hooves not so long ago, but in a rare moment of true wisdom, Paladin thought better of that option and remained silent.

"I apologize for interrupting to speak of my own family. Was there something in discussion earlier?"

Ascended Helovian

Perhaps their encounter was doomed to failure already, the deep, twisting workings of the world dictating that they would not speak amiably, relax, be comrades, even if only for now.. as when a war was waged, they would surely not be upon the same sides. And, perhaps, the fault for that was all Mauja's, with the way he led his life, and his people — but was it not the fault of the Qian, for causing the rift in the first place, and displacing the Edge unicorns? Sowing bitterness and watering it down with blood?

You will reap what you've sown.

On that relatively peaceful evening, the conviction reverberating through his soul felt strange, out of place. Promises of vengeance, no matter how silent, had no place when trying to calm tensions and form thin, flimsy bonds, so why had the bitterness turned into such a solid, tangible thing all of a sudden? One of Mauja's ears flicked back, and he gave his head a small shake. Had he known Ophelia and Ktulu had lived in the Throat? Maybe. Probably; but he did not possess the stellar memory of Phi, could not recall the facts of his life with absolute clarity. What he did recall, though, was her frigid, angelic grace as she had come to him in the north, the way her pristine hide blended seamlessly with the horizon, how the northern lights had cast their color across her. She was a canvas of winter and the skies painted her their own. Imagining her upon the warm red sands was almost like imagining himself there. It felt.. wrong, in many ways, and strangely enough his own thoughts mirrored Paladin's — was it all because of Ktulu? At the mention of her somewhat violent nature, one corner of Mauja's mouth curled upwards in a brief, humorless smile. He knew of that firsthand.

But it all spiraled into the gloom. His efforts were for naught, or maybe even made it all worse. He caught the faint shift in Midas' expression and, unfortunately, Paladin's too; for a moment he felt like the equilibrium between them, a fixed point around which they rotated and shifted, much like scales. And, he thought with a hint of ruefulness, that meant that balancing them both would be extremely hard. While he remained outwardly calm, nothing stirring the depths of his eyes, he wondered if he even wanted to try and please Paladin, and ease the tension. Why should he care? Because it was Phi's father? No. Because it was unpleasant as it was now? As if he cared. Because..? There were no reasons, nothing at all. Mauja clenched his jaws to keep words from spilling out, refraining from chiding him again, saying that it was arrogant and aloof to assume fame had spread his name — one's own judgment of one's fame was seldom correct. Needless to say, it irked Mauja. Couldn't he just have smiled and said sorry I'm old and demented or something?

And on the other hand, it also disappointed him. Was he not willing to try and lighten the mood, and ease the tensions? See past his own prejudice, as even Mauja was attempting (though it was hard, with the irritation rising inside; it was such a peculiar emotion, one he had not been prone to in the past, so why did it flare within his cold veins so often these days?)? A steady, level and long breath left his dark, widened nostrils, his expression more sober again, but he could not fight all traces of disappointment and reproach from his pale eyes.

"No," he said, honestly. And, he was not entirely sure he wanted there to be, either. Some part of not being wholly in control of himself, or able to take everything with calm and an infuriating smile, made him want to run away.
Mauja Frosthjärta
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>
 Light them up.</style>

When Paladin apologized for not expressing his title I couldn’t help but frown a little, though a downturned lip didn’t stop my well-trained muzzle from dipping to further acknowledge his namesake as a respectful stallion should. It felt strange though…hearing an apology from this elder and stranger still knowing that he assumed I knew--(perhaps his name was like Mauja’s, something I should have learned a while ago.) Shame on me for not knowing…

Where lines of age didn’t run along his ebony coat; time had etched permanent effects in those calculating eyes that were both precise and holding unexpected marvels of calibration. All in this party knew that his generosity wasn’t necessary; nor was the gift of polite amusement. However, both of them continued to be just as gracious all the same. My interest was piqued when Paladin spoke of a long history and even other homes.

Could he see how my eyes suddenly sprang to life with a new fire, birthed from the loons of a genuine spirit of interest? I was a greenhorn again on this subject; though perhaps not alone in its raw truth. Like my parents, I hadn’t traveled beyond the sea-- nor over the Northern Mountains. Therefor I knew nothing of what lay beyond; someday, I mused. Someday I just might find out.

The conversation was closing, and I could see their expressions somber up. Still curious about his linage I ask Paladin in an attempt to refresh the mood, “From what land did you hail?” I wanted to ramble more out, like a foolish yearling still suckling up his granddames stories, “What lies beyond the borders of Helovia, would you tell me?” Yet choosing to ask one question at a time seemed to be the wiser path for traveling; besides, it wasn’t my nature to push for more than one was willing to offer. Not harboring the desire to leave Mauja out in the conversation I added with the hints of a smile touching my golden streaked face, “I also would warrant that you would be the one to ask about the northern parts; forgive my curiosity, but can you tell me what lies beyond the icy capped mountains?”

Deceased
Tamme

PALADIN

Paladin watched the Ice King for but a few moments, trying to reach an expression the black stallion could only describe as "stony" before hearing his one word, unhelpful answer. The stallion twitched his graying whiskers in irritation for a few moments before turning back to Midas, hoping that this polite creature would be more enlightening than the white king seemed to be at the moment.

When Paladin's crimson eyes rested on Midas' golden ones, he was surprised to see excitement in them. Was the painted one born here? Did he not travel to this strange land from somewhere else? The only emotion he felt at the question of "where do you hail from?" was darkness. It pervaded his soul, laughing and grinning as it gained a foothold in this mortal world that Paladin and his attempt at goodness could not shake. The monster inside reveled at the possibility of telling this feather brain just where he came from. Who his father was. All the blood he shed. The winged ones he murdered in cold blood.

Paladin's expression hardened ever so slightly, trying to remember his other home, his true home. The soft lull of the ocean on the shores of the Tides, moonlight filtering through clouds in the sky. A soft wind, never too cold or too hot gracing his body with the feeling of being alive. When he closed his eyes, he could almost smell the salty air and hear Silverline worrying about something or other.

But it was all a dream now. Lost.

"My birthplace is naught by fire and ash by now, destroyed by selfish desire and war." He cast a glance at Mauja. "You should ask Psyche about it sometime, or Giselle." He had barely known his half-sister, being the older half-brother. Her colorless figure meant that she was of lesser stature, and he had been groomed alongside Donovan and Giselle as legionnaires. Each one of them had faced the brutality of the land. Giselle and Psyche seemed to embrace the torture. Paladin was tainted.

"However, I hail from a land south of here and slightly to the east - a place called Anarore to some and Isilme to others. I ruled on the Moonlit Tides, and that was where I called home. My heart still lives on that beach, somedays...." he trailed, eyes growing distant before blinking away the memories. "A foolish feeling, perhaps. Hindsight seems to paint memories more fondly and wonderfully than they truly were. War and darkness was present there, perhaps even moreso than here." Paladin frowned. "Shades, vile creatures of the night with no soul but to kill over ran the land. Few of us escaped. I thought that I had lost my family in the process, so I stayed as long as I could. Now, I am here..." he said quietly.

"As for what lies to the north, I have never ventured so far, but a good friend of mine told me of a land called Vanthra. I know now where it is or how to find it." Paladin turned to the frost king, wondering if he had anything to add. Just like men, talking about geography.

Ascended Helovian

[ Vanthra actually lay really far south. xD ]

He wasn't sure how much longer he should give this before giving up. It was uncomfortable the way he wanted to smack Paladin in the face, and some part of him suspected that maybe the urge was mutual — and if it was so, he was grateful they were both grown men who could hold back. Midas didn't deserve to see to relatively old men quarrel like boys anyway, even if the issues underlying the friction weren't the petty squabbles of colts. Besides, he liked to think he was above that level, but recently, he felt so out of sorts he wasn't even sure anymore. In an attempt to keep his characteristic cool, Mauja had been staring at the horizon, wondering if Paladin would chew him out over not having had a proper discussion, when Midas eager voice caught him by surprise. Black-rimmed ears flicked towards him, eyes slipping to his. For a moment his excitement betrayed his youth, and the Frostheart wondered if he had never been outside of Helovia. If he hadn't.. in some ways, he was missing out on a lot, but on the other hand, they had all crowded in here, hadn't they? For some reason, Helovia drew them in. For some reason, he'd chosen it to carve out his future.

But then those golden eyes slid to his face, and he words had Mauja's 'brows arching, a rather humorous expression — very expressive, too, considering how unreadable he usually was. Was it his color, the frost on his horn and hooves, the ice spikes, or his name, that made everyone assume he was from the north? It would've amused him to no end to be able to, truthfully, say I come from the southwest, but it would be to lie. He came from so far north that it felt like he'd been born on the top of the world, where the sun never rose in winter and never set in summer. So, unfortunately, they were correct when they assumed his origin to be somewhere in the north.

"My birthplace is naught by fire and ash by now, destroyed by selfish desire and war." Paladin's eyes flitted to his again, and this time he kept his 'brows down. Some part of him wondered if the older warlord was hinting at something, that maybe Mauja's crusades of the past would have the same result if he renewed them, but there was no reason to dredge it up here. No reason to show them that some thoughts still spun in his mind. "I will," he said, brief yet sincere, when he mentioned Psyche and Giselle. He even made a mental kind of note about it, because the cultures and customs of foreign lands interested him greatly, and some part of him thirsted for knowledge. Knowledge of all things; why the mountains rose into the sky, why some men were greedy and some honorable, what made them tick, why mares bore children and stallions not, what plants were dangerous, where everyone had come from.. how they had been raised, what values they had been given. Everything, even the things that seemed logical and natural. Everything had a reason.

Paladin spoke of the Tides, and again, Mauja kept his face blank and smooth; ears tipped his way, his gaze interested, but the small, self-satisfied smile hidden away from sight. The Tides had been before he met d'Artagnan, in a land he had personally never set hoof on, but he knew that many of the early Plague brethren had come there in its evening hour and tried to wrest those very Tides from under Paladin's hooves. They hadn't succeeded, because the shadows had descended upon them and driven them out, but still. He forced the cat-like feeling of glee aside. No reason to give Paladin another reason to scowl at him by associating with that act.

"I know nothing of this land called Vanthra," he responded to Paladin, before settling his gaze on Midas for a moment. "What lies beyond the mountains, you say? The icy ocean, and.. snow. And more snow. And even more snow. It's a cold and harsh place, but there are those who live there, some kingdoms and empires that stand strong in the face of the blizzards." He gave a slight shrug. "It is a vast place, and merciless. Winter does not leave room for weakness or mistakes." He was silent for a second, before sighing softly. "I don't really know what to tell you about it."
Mauja Frosthjärta
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>
 Light them up.</style>

It doesn’t go unnoticed that following my question Paladin’s face grows harder, age lines draw up tight until he appeared almost uncomfortable. Uncomfortable remembering...the past? I frown a little, the excitement previously felt was drying out—perhaps I shouldn’t have asked? Still slightly curious (as was my nature) and a bit hopeful of what might be a positive answer I stand by, waiting for either him to chaste my pondering, or reward it with tidbits of information that might shine light upon the dark places. Majua responses exactly the opposite, eyebrows rose with a touch of humor lighting his normally cloaked ice pools. I glance at him, half wondering what he had found amusing.

“My birthplace is naught but fire and ash by now, destroyed by selfish desire and war,” the slight frown that has curved my more naturally upturned lips, deepened harshly down. I withheld my voice, but the tips of both ears flicked back a notch, sympathetic for his loss. Though he didn’t seem to be very crestfallen; the statement was more of a ‘fact,’ not a bribe for pity. Even at my tender age I was wise enough to know that a warrior of their caliber would have little room for emotions such as pity, still…it was hard for me (a caring creature) to not feel compassionate.

He turns to Mauja and addresses the Ice King with a suggestion, a suggestion that Mauja responds with assuring vocal, “I will.” Psyche. I knew the woman through word of mouth, yet, had never seen her face up close. Probably for the better of us both. Gossip reigned supreme, Kri didn’t favor the girl—and if memory serves, they recently fought. "However,” my gaze had wandered in the spare seconds that he had been looking away, now, they flashed back, “I hail from a land south of here and slightly to the east - a place called Anarore to some and Isilme to others. I ruled on the Moonlit Tides, and that was where I called home. My heart still lives on that beach, somedays...." Anarore? Isilme? My mind hums, I don’t recall either sire or dame ever mentioning such lands. Paladins tone softens before fading away, and I knew…he was remembering something fondly, and it wasn’t about war.

My frown dissipates ever slightly, and warmth returns to both watchful orbs.
“A foolish feeling, perhaps.” Feeling this to be false I rock my head from side to side, wanting to interject, “Nay friend, it isn’t foolish to me.” There was something sweetly beautiful about the peace that would quell from the deepest of depths when remembering something such as the love of a home. For some it wasn’t land, but the act of finding your soul mate; or even a trustworthy friend. Others filled their inner desire to be happy with children. “Shades, vile creatures of the night with no soul but to kill over ran the land. Few of us escaped. I thought I had lost my family in the process, so I stayed as long as I could. Now, I am here…” He had escaped from ‘Shades?

Monsters? I wondered, could these be the same creatures that Cera spoke of? Surely not, because our demons seemed to have souls. For a moment I was tempted to ask the blood laced one if these ‘Shades’ bore the faces of our friends and enemies. Again, wisdom held my tongue to hold those cards for a later round.

The conversation turns to my second question, and again I file away another unusual name—Vanthra. A mind couldn’t grow without knowledge, and it was often the one who grew much also knew much. Majua exclaims that he has no information about this ‘Vanthra’ either. I meet his gaze willingly, and listen. “The icy ocean, and..snow.” Of course. Still. It sounds…inspiring, just another thing to add onto a growing bucket list of places to visit before I died. “It is a vast place, and merciless. Winter does not leave room for weakness or mistakes.” This statement touches me, my lips curve up into that trademark beam; and the maturity of my forefather shines through. The desert also quartered little room for mortal error, if not for the blessings of our lords—we would surely die.

“I think…I would like to pay the Sea of Ice a visit one day. See its rising peaks and empires with these eyes, before I pass on…” Solidly my voice slips into the quiet before rising again, this time pointed toward Paladin, “I am sorry for the loss of your former home, and will pray that you find peace while staying in Helovia.” My muzzle dips respectfully, and then levels. I’m reminded that there is another who grieves for his homeland...though its base fault is not that of monster; simply rotten life. “If I could return your land…would it mend all that was broken in this world?”

Deceased
Tamme

PALADIN

[lol I know, but Paladin is topographically challenged :P Not really, but he would have no idea where it is ]

Paladin nodded when the Ice King said that he would indeed ask Giselle and Psyche about their home. Hiding his past continually seemed an effort in futility. What he did was shameful, but no one had to know the details, right? Paladin was not even sure if Donovan had seen him murder that mare let alone his sisters. He shifted his weight on his other hooves, turning his attention quickly back to the conversation before his mind decided to get the better of him.

The black dun listened to Mauja's commentary on the north and snorted in amusement. "I loathe the snow," he replied with a quiet chuckle, shaking his head a little. "The land I come from was consistently hot from fires and pitch. When I was younger, I remember trees, but I believe they were all consumed by fires. The sky is consistently darkened by the ash and dust in the air that rained in the stead of water," he replied. "I can imagine the beauty of the northern kingdoms, though. The mountains always look pristine and unmerciful." He thought of Mauja, having come from such a land.

The fact that he chose to live in such a northern realm and was rather cold made more sense in the context of his upbringing. Paladin could feel a tendril of respect growing for the white stallion, but he was still suspicious of his motives. The fact that he showed interest in his daughter was also cause for violence, but he guessed correctly that Ophelia would be upset with him for attacking this soul on her behalf. He felt conflicted about Mauja. The fact that he chose the company of his twisted sisters said something about his character, but Ophelia had fair judgement. He was a strong creature from the north, but lived only among those of his kind. Paladin had no way to wrap his head around this conundrum.

The black dun listened to Midas and felt inspired by his youthful desire to travel. Paladin had never been one for traveling unless need drove him otherwise. He was built with this traditional sense of belonging to the land itself, of serving his home until death. Like kings of old, he found honor in dying at the helm of one's ship, defending borders and either emerging victorious by the blood and sweat of your own brow or dying at the skill of a worthy opponent. Being uprooted and moved disrupted his sense of honor and pride, which was perhaps why he felt so adrift now. He knew that the shades were no worthy opponent, no mortal with home he tested his mettle and yielded to higher skill.

No, the land he had bound his soul to had been taken from him, and he could have died forgotten or moved on to try and appreciate the shambles of his family - which, quite frankly, had not worked out in his favor either.

When Midas dipped his head in respect and wished him comfort in this land, the stallion snorted sarcastically. "I have been here for a very long time," he rumbled. "Couple the loss of home with children and gods and there is no peace to be found," he mused in light humor. "But I appreciate your hopes nonetheless."

Ascended Helovian

( Paladin the Geographically Challenged <3 )

Bit by bit it felt as if the talk eased them back into where they had almost begun – a far shot from relaxed, but perhaps not as suspicious.. not as tense. He wouldn't trust to turn his back on Paladin, nor did he want to particularly much, but it felt easier to breathe, as if he wasn't choking on pent-up testosterone and dominance. They were an odd gathering, for better or for worse, and while he had no plans to get along with the world forever, it would make it easier if he did for a little longer.

And, maybe, if he didn't try to chide or make jokes with the old warlord. He hadn't seemed to appreciate that. Maybe he was just serious, or maybe he thought Mauja (who wasn't that young, but younger than Paladin if the silvering hairs were anything to go by) had no place to rebuke him, no matter how gently. Well; Mauja wouldn't be where he was today if he hadn't paid attention to the lessons life taught him, and instead of firing back that he loved snow, he simply let his lips curve into a smile, the corners of his blue eyes crinkling with it. He'd never taken the darkness for a personality, never hammered the ice so hard into his soul that it stole every ounce of warmth and joy from him. He saw no point in such a life.

"I think there was a forest in the Throat once," he said quietly, the memory wakened by Paladin's tale of the ruin of his home. A sandy, earthen floor, with sturdy trees gripping the treacherous terrain, their crowns swaying to a breeze that wasn't so dry, Dragon's Blood still towering above them as it did to this day... And the ocean, so much closer than it was today. It was a memory he was not too keen on sharing with either on them, yet he had said something about it, but said no more, hoping they would pass it off as a speculation based on the remaining tree, and the scatter of foliage around the oasis itself. But he knew differently.

Midas' dreamy voice had the smile returning to Mauja's face, to his eyes, that softening, brightening, of his cold gaze – it wasn't a very visible twitch of his lips, just the faintest curving of them, but it was all the more visible in his eyes, though that dimmed, too, at Paladin's rather morose and sarcastic statement. Still, he guessed he couldn't truly blame the black dun: not everyone held their emotions and expressions under such tight lock and key as Mauja. He neither could nor should judge others based on himself. "I am sorry for your losses," he began in a rather careful voice. "But not all of them are lost, at least not forever. Ophelia may have left your side to stray, but it hurt her that you watched her take the Foothills only to leave without a word. If you reach out, some things may come back to you." It was delivered solemnly, quietly even, his black-rimmed ears politely flicked forward as he hoped Paladin would not take it the wrong way. It was, Mauja figured, a slight bit of criticism, that he had let things drift away from him without attempting to reclaim them. Just because you lost something once didn't mean you had to let it stay lost, and even though he did not know what might have happened between Paladin and his white daughter in the past, he had a feeling Ophelia would not turn him away without a word – not after what she had said that day after the battle.
Mauja Frosthjärta
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>
 Light them up.</style>

Perhaps there was a quiet world for us all beyond the ice caps. The world's hidden secret. Was it really just a foal’s daydream to desire something such as…peace? A balance that didn’t involve the pain, destruction, and torment of other souls. Could we not all live in some semblance of tranquility? All those questions; yet to each I know the answer plainly. It was simple, clearcut, straightforward. No. When we died there is a promise for rest—but beyond that, welcome to the harsh climate stern lessoned Helovia. She was our breath, and throbbing heartbeat. Also a curse, because her inhabitants would never coexist on one landmass without war. I smile to myself with bitter humor, knowing full well that my wishes, are naïve.

Mauja spoke next, expressing his own condolences in a manner that seemed more forgiving than moments ago. I remained impassive, quietly listening until he said, “If you reach out, some things may come back to you." My frame stiffens visibly; I force it to relax as if nothing had happened, hoping they didn't notice the change. A family went through my mind, Cera, Ktulu, Hototo. How many times had duty come before their needs? How long before I lost them? Softly, like the snow that fell during Frostfall I utter, “Does it ever get easier? As you age, balancing your life with family—and comrades with vows?” Maybe it was the lack of male upbringing that lead to this tender question, perhaps it was because I saw them both as wiser figures—whichever it was I glanced up at Paladin with an unflinching stare and then shift my golden pools to Mauja.