the Rift

I am a leaf on the wind.

Serenity Posts: 78
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 7 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Avis

Star kissed wings glided over clouds and cool winds, rustling small breaks in her dark feathers. Golden eyes looked down below, heart aching as she flew over miles and miles of uninhabited land. How long had it been since she had seen a familiar face? Communing with birds was no longer entertaining; they had this irritating inability to speak back. She had left her family back in slavery with their blessing, but that did not make the guilt hurt any less. Three times she turned around, and three times she turned around again. Why could they not have come with her?

Tears had already painted her blue face, and her well had run dry. Serenity tucked her legs under her pale chest and tilted her wings downward, descending slowly until she could see the tops of orange and yellow trees from under the misty clouds. Exhaustion from fighting against the frigid air above the clouds started to settle in the moment the earth's thermal radiation warmed her joints. While she was cautious to land in strange territory, especially when the ceiling of trees would keep her from ascending quickly, Serenity slowed her speed and allowed her body to carefully slip between branches.

Dark, gray hooves landed on leaf covered ground, and she lowered her muzzle, inhaling the warm and organic scent of the earth. Another smell crept into her sensitive nose as well, and she instantly jerked her head from the ground, auds turning around as she listened for any murmur of another. Others lived here. Were they kind? Would they try to enslave her again? Hawkish eyes darted from tree to tree, and she took a few hesitant steps forward.

Bravely but with care, she developed a rhythm in her solid steps, wings opened from her body just a little, long feathers almost touching the ground. If she need to take flight, she could. "I am a leaf on the wind," she whispered to herself, repeating the mantra that soothed her soul. "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar." Serenity could hear her mother speaking those words in her head as she was taught how to fly on newly formed wings. With a breath from her lungs, her mum had caused a leaf to take flight from its resting place on a log. Just be a leaf, Serenity, she said. A leaf on the wind.

I-mi @ Da

STARS FADING BUT I LINGER ON DEAR
STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS
(Please tag me in every post)

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

Again she came; addicted to the promise of company and the intoxicating thrill of the unknown. A brave new confidence glistened across Africa’s creamy sunlit eyes; though it was really only surface deep, balanced perilously of a cliffs edge. She wore a cloak of superficial courage, perhaps foolishly, and it was impressed with a spray of sea salt and a film of crimson desert dust. Not long had she dwelt amongst the Dragons, but already the indulging taste of belonging lightened the burden in her naturally restless stride. That plaguing anxiety was only a dim glow in her mind for now.

Large round hooves picked a careful path, practicing diligence and mimicking the grace she had witnessed of a friend in battle. With such precision had the robust warrior danced about his dumbstruck opponent, that Africa had been enchanted, promising in secret to fine tune her own tread so that she might be as lovely as he. Resolutely she observed the placement of each progressive step as her sinewy legs undulated elegantly beneath the flex of her breast. A brief flicker of mirth broke through grave concentration, and the young horse was pleased by her improvement. She savoured the bulge of dense grass tussocks beneath the rolling press of her hooves. She delighted in the intentional and successful silence of her passing, only the mundane drone of white noise riding the billowy breeze through the forest.

Africa chose a well worn, defined path on this occasion, ducking masterfully beneath heavy wood overhangs and dodging playfully, carefully, through the labyrinth of conifers and shabby undergrowth. The casual flick of her long well blended red and black tail, gathered bur and thorn, but she did not care. The young Pegasus was not one to spoil in vanities; she was too busy, trapped in the dream woven artfully by her mother’s gilded tongue, her imagination engorged and spilling over as she became the heroine in that fantasy world.

Thud... Thud... Thud. The firm stride of another attracted the dapple grey’s attention and she paused momantarily, peering ahead to where she believed the muffled sound had been made. Excitement leaked down through her long legs and the lean muscles within flexed and flinched in wild response. This was what she had come for. Compelled forward by the stranger’s existence, Africa began to search- not hunt, relaxing as she did so that the sound of her approach might not seem so sudden. Her watchful gaze traced the form of another Pegasus slipping carefully between the slim shafts of sunlight which penetrated the dense canopy above. The young mare whickered softly, closing the diminishing distance between them, though she was cautious to allow the stranger private space.

“Hello.” She cooed softly, through a warm and sincere, tentative smile. “I’m Africa.” Simple and pleasant was her tone, and the introduction spilt loosely, and without formality into the air.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Storm Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The stormy lass flew over the forest at surprising speeds, not even giving a glance towards the mountains that she treasured so much before. Her gray blue eyes were cold and hard, and her lips were turned down in a stern frown. Instead of doing tricks in the wind, playing in the air, there was not a gleam of kindness, nor a trickle of warmth in her hard face. Anger was the only thing that was taking control of her right now. Storm didn't know where she was going really, she was just wandering aimlessly over vast lands that seemed to have no ends. The unknown tears leaked down her eyes. The lass sniffed, trying to control her overwhelming sadness and fear, to try to make herself stop sobbing, but they racked through the warrior's body, weakening her each flap of her giant wings, powerful wings. Storm really didn't feel free anymore, with the growth in her stomach. In many months, she would have to give birth to an unwanted foal that was never planned for. How did it happen? Did one night really cause unknown consequences. How would the foal be cared for? Storm has a wild spirit, one that couldn't be contained. The lass didn't have that motherly streak in her, it was a distant thing really, maternity...She wasn't ready for the burden.

She shut her eyes leaked with water trying to imagine how her mother took care of her before, so very long ago. How was it that she soothed her when she was scared again? The memories leaked back to her in flashes: sweet, comforting nuzzling, songs sang to her, the warmth of their bodies together. She inhaled another sharp breath of air, a smile now starting to appear on her muzzle as she imagined her dear mother taking care of her. She snapped out of it though, opening her steely eyes, and thinking about the stallion again. If she found him again....she forced herself to take a deep breath and calm down. Nothing good would come out of fighting and being angry. What is wrong with you? She thought to herself. This is not you. What happened to the real you? The fiesty fighter? Wow. Being pregnant really does mess you up, Storm. She thought to herself again, seeming to have some sort of internal conversation. She sighed to herself, and dove down towards the forest. She didn't have the will to fly anymore at this point. She felt like taking a stroll through the forest to calm down her churning emotions.

Storm landed on the ground with a thud, ungracefully stumbling, and galloping, opening her wings to slow her landing down. Annoyed, emitting a growl from her mouth, Storm flipped her wild mane out of her face, and pricked her ears up. Her wild temper was getting the best of her, leaving her with barely any patience. She commenced to walk from her stopping point, weaving through the points, avoiding some of the low lying branches, and jumping over the upturned trees and roots, the storms really did rip some of them up. Shadows covered her as she walked deeper into the trees, making her seem like part of the darkness. Her powerful legs carried her forwards at a surprisingly fast pace, causing the leaves to break and crunch under her sharp hooves. Her eagle like wings were plastered to her flanks as she continued walking quickly, not knowing what she was doing, or where she was destined to go.

All of a sudden, a voice, clear, but quiet rang through the clearing, and interest sparked in the mare. Storm wasn't looking for anyone, not wanting to encounter other horses while she was so emotionally trashed, but how could she avoid the lass that was supposedly right in front of her? Through the trees Storm saw a beautiful pegasus mare, so beautiful she seemed like twilight impersonating on a horse. She had sweet golden eyes, and a black and golden body with golden flecks, as if the gods sprinkled her with stardust. Her wings were quite magnificent too, black and gold with the same flecks that covered her body. Storm intently listened to what she said, pricking up her ears and holding her breath just to receive and take in her words. A leaf in the wind. Another wave of grief pushed through her body, making her stomach nervously churn. That was what she was really, before she got this unwanted burden. A leaf on the wind. The fae's word struck her hard, and she took an instant liking to this wild spirit. Like her, nothing could keep them from the sky. Watch me soar. How would it be like to be an equine, bound to the ground never knowing the sky? It would be hell on Earth. Watch me soar. Watch me soar. The words repeated in her head, and at last, she emerged from the trees. The fae's words sparked a new found hope in the stormy gal, and she knew they were both free souls.

"Hello", Storm kindly said, covering up her previous anger. The tears that leaked before were now dried on her face, but still left a dark grey trail. "I am Storm", the words flowed from her mouth perfectly without any stutters, with a pleasant tone. All of a sudden another emerged from the forest, with a happier tone. Sunlight filtered through the trees tops, and Storm saw the form of another pegasus, a female that wasn't much younger than her. Anger surged through again. Who invited her? She didn't feel like meeting the whole darn world, and she just trudged in. Africa. The name repeated in her head angrily. So youthful, and carefree, not having any troubles. She wasn't pregnant. She didn't have to suffer. Storm looked back towards the starry fae. Same with her, the freedom she had, but strangely there was no feelings of hostility. She was wild and free, and any pegasus like that, was a friend. But jealousy was surging through her staring at the dappled mare. She didn't have to suffer. Stop! Don't blame others for your problems. Stop being rude. The thought trickled in her mind, scolding her for being so mean without even knowing the dappled mare. "Hello Africa", the words slickly came out of her mouth, with a half hearted smile, no where near as kind as the smile towards the other mare. She sounds nice. Stop it! The thoughts came back into her mind, trying to force her to be kind. Storm stood there with a smile, trying to hold it as she took her wait for their replies, particularly interested in the starry gal. A startling thought suddenly entered her mind...What if...What if they were part of a herd? She could temporarily join, give birth, stay with the foal a while, and leave again. Yes! Perfect. She began her internal conversation with herself again, You're cruel. You don't care about the foal. What is WRONG with you? She pounded herself with the thoughts. Cruel but true. She wasn't fit for maternity.

Avis

The steps of another seemed to echo in her head, taunting her. A fluttering beat hammered in her chest as she waited, head turning sharply and nostrils flaring at the call of another mare. The scent was unmistakable, and she settled ever so slightly, though the lines of her star kissed figure remained taut and firm. As the stranger approached from the veil of trees, Serenity scoured her figure for any signs of malicious intent, but she found none. The mare seemed as ordinary and as gentle as herself, and ordinary was a pleasant relief.

The gray respected her space, which Serenity appreciated. Allowing a stranger so close, regardless of the gentle state of their soul, seemed premature and rather unsettling. She stood taller, and her coat was a warm shade of dappled gray with crimson streaks in a charcoal tail. The brown orbs held warmth in both their expression and color, and Serenity felt a sliver of hope take hold in her saddened heart. If only the remainder of this land held such care and kindness, such a polite demeanor.

Africa's words lingered on the air invitingly, lacking the ceremonial haughtiness and grandeur normally reserved for introductions. The greeting was spoken as if between friends, and Serenity's hawkish eyes watched the mare curiously but no longer with suspicion. "I am Serenity," she replied, her accent long and deep of sounds and vowels. She was about to speak again, but another approached who seemed on the cusp of a break down.

The blue and golden Serenity tilted her auds back, unsure about what to do with the display of such open and wild feelings. Compassion sparked in her heart, of course, but she had never been allowed to act on the yearning desire to aide. This stranger was gray as well, but darker, and she was obviously pregnant. What was she doing, straying so far from home in such a state?

Unsure about their purpose in greeting her, Serenity offered a simple, quiet nod to the pregnant mare, unwilling to provoke any drama with words. "What is this land?" Serenity finally asked, tucking her wings a little closer to her sides. Though she was shorter, the starry blue and gold mare was fast, especially in flight. The angle of her wings was tapered toward precision flight, like those of a hawk. "Are there herds?" she asked, wondering if a few bands had risen up in what appeared to be a lovely place. But every rose has its thorn. Serenity just wanted to be aware of them before being pricked.

I-mi @ Da

STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS

Deceased

Look down
Look up

“I am Serenity...” The young dapple grey mare’s company revealed, and although the blue and gold mare’s voice rang laden by unfamiliar sounds, she thought it was quite a fitting name- based on first impressions of course. I like it...

All of a sudden, struck like an insect in a sticky web, Africa’s serene composure faltered, poisoned by the sinister, accusatory stare of a clearly miserable grey Pegasus. “Hello... I am Storm.” ‘Storm.’... And just as gloomy, she decided secretly, as Serenity was addressed most pleasantly, and she was ignored. Africa affirmed that it was no becoming quality, and this name was also well suited.

Ample time on the sideline allowed Africa opportunity to assess the third party, Storm, taking for herself as much detail as she preferred. The thin grey fur lining the mare’s sloping cheek, bared dry tear-stained channels that exposed perhaps, the aftermath of some emotional encounter; her eyes seemed glassy too as the light glow of sunlight shimmered across them. Both resentment and anger, all of which Africa seemed the unwitting target for, shimmied through her entire expression- aside from when she glanced towards Serenity.

Oblivious to pregnancy, its woes and hardships alike, the young amateurish mare watched on feebly. The tension leaked ruthlessly from the upset horse, grinding against the dapple grey’s nerves. Inwardly she churned with disconcertion; outwardly, the humble creature shrouded herself beneath an unassuming stare- straight and simple, despite the terseness of her predicament. Quite impulsively, Africa turned to lip delicately at the lace of feather-work across the union of wing and whither.

Finally, after what felt to the dapple grey horse like a good part of the day, Storm greeted her. “Hello Africa”- effortless, in spite of the unenthusiastic smile decorating it. Africa graciously accepted the slim offering however, and returned a warm smile. Strange creature... she mused. If ever their paths were to cross again, Africa would surely turn tail and flee.

“What is this land?” ...came the welcome distraction of Serenity’s exotic tone. Africa’s eyes parted from Storm quickly, relieved of their station to monitor the aggressor for now. “Are there herds?” One cupped ear leaned forward curiously, allured by the peculiarity of the blue and gold Pegasus’ querying; the other remained fixed on the position of the unstable grey.
You are lost... She presumed, only because no other she had met spoke with a comparable accent. Her pale gaze mellowed, and affability once again reflected in the pools of her eyes. “We are standing in the fringing forest of Helovia.” She explained reassuringly. Not all are like her...

Yes, there are two herds, Aurora Basin and Dragons Throat.” Africa explained inexpertly, before adding with a childish giggle- “There are no dragons in the latter though, we are quite intimate. It’s where I call home.”- she had only encountered the Basin and her homeland, during her Helovian journey so far. Also, she knew seldom about the Basin, only that the ‘lying sleezebag that wears a crown’ lived there and had stolen two of Africa’s family- Lana and Athena (or so the conversation had divulged). “Are you searching for one?” She continued, relaxing still further into her naturally casual approach; that ear though, never strayed from its post.

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
Many times over I had trekked to the Threshold under the pretenses of assembling members for the Edge, but as it would appear I desired more than numbers these days. I sought an uprising, a moment in my life that would define all of my actions up until this point. I longed for dedication and reason and I knew that I could find it in the Edge, but I wanted others to feel it as well.

Upon leaving the mists I noticed a change in myself that I had come to ignore so many times before. I felt as if I were part of the land and its cause, not just a foolhardy follower to Mirage (though I can’t say that I would have any problem being so). I hadn’t seen war or been pushed to my limits, but that didn’t mean that I wasn’t more than willing to do as much. I feared the impending threat of the Basin but I knew that no matter how we ended, we would not fall forever, if at all.

Languidly, I pushed into the Threshold hoping to find whatever it was that I was searching for- I had come with intent and I sought to see it fulfilled. There was a constant nagging in my chest that begged for release or at least a compromise of sorts; it was an idea that pressed itself upon me to resist the idle existence I now led in the Edge. So again, I wandered into the claiming grounds hoping to find the reason behind my torment.

It didn’t take long for me to find purpose and when I did, I knew there was no way that I could walk away just as easily as I’d come. She was an exquisite creature made of gold and the blanket of midnight stars above. She too carried feathers upon her back most certainly meant for flight and though I was envious of her abilities, I could not refrain from ogling her with deep-set eyes. I nodded to her companions upon my approach and then turned a curious gaze to the mare herself.

Her voice was soft from what I could tell and while my sister from the Throat intended to guide her home to the sands, I was more than willing to give her competition on the matter. I smiled heartily to the grey and then to the other tasteless mare in their company. I hadn’t been close enough to catch the names of my entourage, but I quickly interceded anyways. “I’m Thor of the World’s Edge and you are in fact in Helovia, though there are other herd lands than my sweet sister of the Throat has mentioned.

I stepped closer to my allied comrade and greeted her with a soft smile. “Give Kri my regards friend.” However, with formalities aside I turned to the starry maiden, hopeful inquisitions finally making their way to the forefront of my attentions. “There are four main herd lands in Helovia. The Dragon’s Throat and The Aurora Basin are two as my friend here has already mentioned. However The Windtossed Foothills and The World’s Edge are also close neighbors to the Throat by way of friendly ties. But should you find living in the Wilds more appealing you would certainly be more than welcome to embrace such an experience.

I grew quiet for a time as if debating what more I could share. I thought about telling the trio of my particular position in the Edge but immediately thought better of it. I did not want to influence anyone with my status; I wanted them to call the Edge home because it settled their heart. However, I couldn’t keep the invitation from rolling off my tongue. They could call me a lush, but when it came to beautiful women I was helpless to ignore their charm. “But if the notion strikes you, I would be more than obliging should you desire to visit the Edge with me.

I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to extend her such encouragement. Perhaps it would be just a small nudge in the right direction…

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Avis

It seemed like the gray mare on the verge of a breakdown had better places to be. Now, Serenity fully turned her attention to Africa, finding herself more eager to learn about this land than she had anticipated. Was it fear that drove her desire for knowledge? Or curiosity? Rarely had she been allowed the luxury of curiosity and being able to fulfill the questions that lingered in her mind, but now she was free. She had to remind herself of that, often. She was free. She was a leaf on the wind, allowed to ride the breeze where she wanted.

The liberation was frightening. She would have to make choices, choices she never had to make before. What if she made the wrong one?

"Helovia," she murmured to herself quietly, repeating the words to remember the name. Well, the land sounded lovely, as if it was named by kind hearts. In a way, the land sounded regal. Maybe she would have a chance to make something of herself, something more than a slave.

Serenity then tilted both of her blue ears forward to listen to Africa intently. What she displayed was trust, and that was not an emotion easily given. "You do not have dragons? Did they used to live there? Why is it called such?" she asked curiously, her golden eyes almost soft. The starry mare sighed then a little, frowning. "I am not sure what I am looking for honestly. Perhaps friendship and maybe a home. Where I come from, I was not given much of a choice, so I want to make the right one. Perhaps I will visit this Aurora Basin and Dragon's Throat so that I may decide for myself...." she mused aloud.

A stallion approached then, and Serenity tensed, pushing her wings from her body ever so slightly. She felt the wind glide over and under her feathers, and her hawkish, golden eyes stared at him intently, waiting, suspicious of his intentions. Only when he nodded to Africa as if they knew each other, as if they were friends, did she settle. Serenity pulled her wings back to her sides and furrowed her brows, wondering if she would ever be normal - if she could ever not look at everyone as an enemy.

She wanted to apologize, but she was too embarrassed. Instead, she quickly averted her gaze to the landscape around them, pretending to find something of interest with a distant tree. He introduced himself as Thor and then said there were more herds. She felt overwhelmed for a moment before taking a deep, long inhale. Softer eyes and furrowed brows turned back to his face, curiosity burning again.

"More herds?" she questioned, her voice lilted with a delicate accent. Four herds, he said. She would have to visit each one then, she guessed. Or did she? Perhaps she could choose now and have safety before venturing out? No, no, no. Informed decisions. "I am Serenity," she then offered, remembering that she had not given him her name.

"I appreciate the invitations from both of you. The thought of living alone is unappealing, but I feel as if I should visit both places before making a decision," she replied quietly. "Is that... is that normal to do? Would anyone object to that here?" she asked, unsure of how to behave while on her own, especially not in this foreign land. "Perhaps I could visit the closest herd first? Is one of your homes closer?"

I-mi @ Da

STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS

Deceased

Look down
Look up

"You do not have dragons? Did they used to live there? Why is it called such?" The exotic, star-specked mare asked and Africa responded with a reflective glance away as she shifted her weight left. “Well I don’t really know.” She tucked her chin coyly, though her eyes remained open and friendly.
When I see you next, I will tell you why it is named after a dragon. Is that alright?” Tentatively, her ears pricked to face the blue Pegasus, hoping quietly that the offer would suffice. It would be her personal project in the meantime, to find out more about her home. Although she presented cheerfully as usual, Africa couldn’t help feeling a little silly.

You are more than welcome to visit my family,” the young grey encouraged, and though quite effervescent, her voice was never tinged with any sort of pressure. Africa watched her company with patient curiosity. “I would very much like to see you again, you know.” Perhaps she was a gullible twit, yet sincerity in its purest form seeped through every angel of her kindly demeanour. Although buckets were quickly being filled of all the names she randomly collected throughout Helovia, seldom had any blossomed into any more than cordial acquaintances. Through a pensive sigh, Africa mumbled, “I would really like a friend too.

Then another slipped comfortably into the conversation and despite the dappled mare never having seen the stallion prior, she welcomed him warmly and shuffled sidewards to include him. Apparently the other mare felt less inclined, not so calm- she stiffened a little, though there was little Africa could do to soothe without encroaching the private space she had already considerately placed between.
The stallion nodded towards the grey and her eyes narrowed a little, though not with any form of discontent. His name was Thor it seemed, and try as she might to find someplace where he belonged in the recesses of her bubbling mind, he was just not recognized.

Then, Thor began to speak of more lands- of a greater Helovia, and Africa could not fight her intrigue from spilling into her tuned expression. “Give Kri my regards friend.” She nodded diplomatically, studying the stallion’s confident expression. There was a noble air about him, something entirely opposite to her impression of Kri, and while she respected her lead Sultana duly, personally she was intimidated to bone by the strangely masculine mare. Thor on the other hand, seemed to emanate a gracefulness that caused her to blush childishly, to submit and shrink back in deference.

"More herds?" The other mare asked quickly, and Africa was rather glad. Thor elaborated in turn and while the grey remained swathed in humble silence, her imagination began to spin with interest at the idea that there were more regions- kingdoms in fact to learn about and possibly explore. She could not have known about alliances and sworn enemies, though her eyes sparkled with wicked excitement as she lingered by the edge of the continuing conversation. Perhaps it would be her visiting the blue mare, her friend over time, in another territory.

She settled her breathing, her thoughts and refocused sensibly.

Sounds like a sensible plan, Serenity.” Africa answered contentedly with a thoughtful smile. “I’m afraid I don’t know where the Edge is.” She admitted modestly as an afterthought, though was unashamed by her apparent and complete ignorance. “Thor?