the Rift

It better get better then this [Open]

Manami Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Manami

Curious brown eyes stared down at the forest high above the treetops while large black and copper wings swept across the chill air with an ease that was only acquired through time and practice. Snorting, Nami flicked her forelock out of her eyes and focused once again on the horizon. She was not impressed. The coppery mare had come from a land of great cities and learning advanced enough to build grand pyramids and extravagant palaces. Angbar was her home and she held its memory even closer to her heart when she saw the dismal, unimpressive forest and significant lack of even any small villages.

A small, ladylike frown of disapproval crossed her lips as she descended gracefully down from the high altitude and into a small clearing. When she landed onto the ground and folded her wings comfortably along her back, Nami had rearranged her face into that of polite interest, not wanting to offend anyone by her dislike of this new place. A small whinny escaped her kissers as she looked around, hoping to find someone who could maybe tell her about this place and might be willing to let her into their herd.

While she waited for someone to answer her call, the fae dipped her head down to graze on grass that seemed even more green in its attempt to defy the increasing cold of Orangemoon. As she tore daintily at the undergrowth Nami tried to remember the last time she had eaten without the fear of an assassin coming after her and was left at a loss. So she relaxed, her large eagle owl wings unfurling slightly to let the heat of the sun soak into her dark coat. A soft sigh of contentment escaped her as she seemed to outwardly completely let down her guard. However she was not so foolish as to let her ears go idle and although they flicked around with a casual half-interest she didn't miss a sound.

Accalia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
That day, the fae was trotting quickly, gracefully moving her head, flipping her golden brown mane out of her face as she kept fast pace through the forest. She started thinking as she nimbly avoided trees with impressive speed, and jumped over logs. She was on an important mission. Right before her eyes, she saw the impressive Assassin's leader, Ignita get captured by those World's Edge horses, the two brothers, and witnessed a grueling fight. At the time of watching the three powerful horses go to battle, she had a major impulse to jump into the rumble herself, to just flex her muscles and deliver one kick to the twins, but she knew better. It was an ordeal for the three of them, that was waging way before she even knew about this land.

She had to do something to save Ignita, and even though she wasn't officially part of the band-because she got interrupted by the two oafs- she still felt it was her duty to go carry on, and help recruit members. Accalia wasn't going to let the group die, and from rumors she heard, the Pirates were going to get involved in this also, and she knew the others were out there right now. All she had to do, was to get another horse to help her rescue the leader of them. An irritated frown was plastered on her face right now. She didn't feel any bitter hatred for the World's Edge, but she actually was beginning to like Ignita, and she was the first unicorn that was kind to her, so to repay her, she was endowed to save her. But all she wanted to do was sneak into their herd, snatch Ignita and leave without a battle.

All of a sudden, a distant whinny rang through the air, and the fae's ears instantly pricked up with curiousity. Another horse! A mare! She started to race through the forest, quietly avoiding any places with leaves that would crumble under her hooves. Damn it! She thought to herself. If only I had wings. She muttered again in her mind. But in a way, being wingless was a blessing. There was no other soul that could match Accalia in a race. Accalia thought herself to be the fastest thing alive, with a great ferocity and beauty. Her eyes came upon a pegasus mare, pure black with copper sheen on her back, mane, and tail. "Hello!" The fae spoke with no trace of aggression in her voice. To be truthful, she couldn't kill another horse, nor be rude. She was raised to be polite, and respectful after all. A kind smile rose on her maw as she spoke again. "I am Accalia, part of the Assassin band, and you are in the land of Helovia," I began, and continued before anyone could interject "But we do not have to kill anyone," She said smiling, flicking her tail, hoping she didn't scare the lass.

"But we are truly in dire need. Our leader has been captured, and our numbers are starting to dwindle. I truly need someone to help me round up the other herd members and get back our beloved leader", she said bowing her head. So much for not blabbering, the crude thought entered her mind again.

Unregistered

Manami

Although Manami had been listening intently for the sound of anyone approaching, she was impressed by how quietly a new equine arrived in her little clearing. Raising her head up from the grass the mare nodded cordially to the unblessed as she cast her eyes over her. Slight and skinny the white mare was clearly built for speed, her long legs giving her height and she seemed as if she should always be in motion and never standing still. In contrast Nami had a full, curvy frame that was just a little more compact and wasn't intended for true speed anywhere other than in the air. Flicking her long, down feathered tail Nami waited for the other mare to speak.

"Hello!" Well that didn't take long. Inclining her head Nami spoke in a confident, alluring voice. "Good morning. The other mare didn't seem all to worried about Nami being a bloodthirsty killer and there seemed to be nothing that would suggest that she intended to try and hurt Nami, but she remained cautious. "I am Accalia, part of the Assassin band, and you are in the land of Helovia," Raising a brow, the black fae cocked a hoof and looked at the other femme, outwardly displaying polite interest, while she was somewhat aghast that the white mare didn't seem to stop talking to even ask her what her name was. "But we do not have to kill anyone." Really? An assassin group that doesn't kill? Nami had to stop her eyes from rolling. There was no such thing as a pacifist assassin and while this Accalia might believe that she'll remain untainted she was in for an unpleasant surprise.

About to speak, Nami allowed a small, unnoticeable wrinkle of frustration to cross onto her pretty face when Accalia continued to plow on. "But we are truly in dire need. Our leader has been captured, and our numbers are starting to dwindle. I truly need someone to help me round up the other herd members and get back our beloved leader" Not wanting to attempt to speak until Accalia had finished blabbering, Nami fixed her with one round brown eye and when she was sure that she had finished speaking allowed her voice to come out in polite, but slightly cold tones. "Are you finished?" Pausing slightly, Nami made sure Accalia had had her say before continuing on. "My name, if you were wondering, is Manami. I come from a land called Angbar which is needless to say very different from Helovia and so I wonder. Is it normal for complete strangers to talk about the troubles in their herd before finding out whether or not that other equine is a spy?" She chided the younger mare lightly, simply wanting to point out the facts and hopefully help her to not do something this foolish again. "Also, if your numbers are dwindling so severely your leader must not be as beloved as you think and leads me to believe that your herd might be weaker than it actually is." Flicking her forelock out of her eyes Nami continued to speak. "I'm afraid that if you want me to join the Assassins you'll have to give me some very good reasons." Although Nami wasn't all that interested in joining an assassin band she was willing to give Accalia the chance to change her mind.

[ooc: Heheh... that's Nami for you! Good luck trying to get her to change her mind! :)]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

The morning was fresh and cool; the sanctuary of blue sky awash with the pastel promise of the warm, clear day ahead. Africa arrived early, having departed the safe embrace of her desert homeland while stars still shimmered aloft the blackness of the night sky. Descending with artful grace, the young Pegasus’s wings dipped through the high swirling currents of air which had given her passage to Helovia’s scenic rim much ease and speed. The wind as she passed in gentle downward spirals dragged thick long forelock from her eyes, kindly aiding her decision to alight within the narrow sliver of a treeless gap. As neat solid hooves pushed collectively into the supple loam, Africa glanced about her, and further into the fringe of trees where strangers often lingered at length, calculating their next move. The Threshold seemed eerily quiet, even as the sun’s early warmth soaked through the flimsy autumn canopy of needles, and bruised foliage.

Through the bitter breeze, rang the beckoning whinny of another, and even as Africa lifted her fluttering nostrils to reply, the slip of her frosted breath upon the air was swallowed by the unmistakable thud of hooves ‘racing’ against the littered floor. The young dapple grey’s face dropped abruptly so that her ears could pick the direction of the moving horse. A voice shattered the silence betraying the route of the traveller- “Hello!”, and Africa slipped forward curiously to find the cause of commotion. It would not be a difficult task, as the same voice peeled through the subdued forest once more. “I am Accalia, part of the Assassin band, and you are in the land of Helovia.” Forward, she thought privately while eavesdropping and continued a weaving path through the lean maze of trees. “But we do not have to kill anyone...” The stranger, Accalia continued apparently and Africa wondered if there were actually anyone receiving the ramble of information, as it was spilled so generously. “But we are truly in dire need. Our leader has been captured, and our numbers are starting to dwindle. I truly need someone to help me round up the other herd members and get back our beloved leader” It was the first Africa had learned about ‘Assassins’ and her eyes narrowed as the pair appeared through the clutter of trees before her, standing across from one another in a clearing.

Though she chose not to dwell on all that had been so freely revealed (from Africa’s perspective, there seemed to be very little threat in so few numbers and an imprisoned leader), she thought the mare quite foolish for the careless slip of her tongue. Perhaps she would offer her learning to Midas when she returned home next. Africa paused before the protection of cover began to dwindle overly, listening conscientiously as the second horse- a dark hued mare, began to speak. “Are you finished?" An unusual, wry smile wrapped around her upturned muzzle, and it did not fit the softness in her eyes comfortably. She could not see clearly the expression lathering this mare, but as she finally found room to issue her thoughts on all that had been spoken by Accalia, Africa noted a quite open frostiness lacing her voice. “My name, if you were wondering, is Manami. I come from a land called Angbar which is needless to say very different from Helovia and so I wonder. Is it normal for complete strangers to talk about the troubles in their herd before finding out whether or not that other equine is a spy?

Intrigued and not deterred for a second by the stranger’s direct, perhaps cautioning approach, Africa continued on finally. The dark mare continued as the Pegasus slipped confidently from the tree line, issuing a gentle wicker to indicate her approach. “"I'm afraid that if you want me to join the Assassins you'll have to give me some very good reasons.” “Hello, Manami... Accalia.” The grey greeted them simply, not pretending that she had not been witness to the conversation already had. “I’m Africa and I come from Dragons Throat.” Modestly, she offered a warm glance to each mare.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Unregistered

Manami

Soon after Manami finished speaking a warm nicker announced the approach of another and Nami cordially made room for the gray pegasus with a polite smile on her face. “Hello, Manami... Accalia.” Nami's brow raised slightly as she tried to decide whether or not she admired the mare for not pretending that she'd been eavesdropping or to be offended that she had. Thinking of Accalia's rapid fire speech and apparent disregard for who heard her Nami figured that their conversation hadn't exactly been private in the first place and it was perfectly fine for dappled fae to have listened in. “I’m Africa and I come from Dragons Throat.” Nodding a greeting Manami warmed to Africa and her polite words. Above all else the coppery mare appreciated good manners.

"A pleasure Africa." Tossing her forelock out of her warm brown optics Nami met Africa's gaze and saw the gentle soul that resided within the gray mare. "Might I inquire to ask what is Dragons Throat? I am new here as you may have guessed and would like to find a place that I might call home. While she spoke to Africa, Manami made sure to keep her posture open towards Accalia so as to not exclude her if she wished to join in. Now that introductions were through, Nami's analytical warrior's brain turned on and was concealed by her curious, but polite eyes as she sized up Africa.

The other mare was bigger then she was, though not by much and her graceful frame seemed to speak of a hidden strength that would only become unlocked when those creamy brown orbs sparked with anger. Although she couldn't quite tell with her wings folded along her back, Africa seemed like she could keep up with Nami in the air, though how acrobatic she was was to be determined. If she ever had to spar the gray femme her best shot would be the knees and perhaps if she could maneuver herself to get on top she could take out a wing. All these things were calculated mere moments after she finished speaking, yet her eyes and frame never betrayed that cordial ladylike demeanor that had been drilled into her since birth.

[/quote]

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Many things were changing in the world; important events were unfolding, even if what they represented was not truly understood by the young, easily confused mare. “...Try to travel in pairs...” Kri had directed, and while still an unwise child in many ways, Africa had already witnessed firsthand the seething hatred leaking from the north. She was careful now about the strangers she approached- lingering as she had on this occasion to observe, and choose on the err-of-caution.
There was a key element which Africa mostly looked for in the horses she pursued through the Threshold- wings. Whether leathery of feathered, the decorating of such a gift was the sign of trustworthiness that she sought. She knew well that such could not determine quality of character, instead however, that wings meant no affiliation to the Basin. A Pegasus could find no place between the conniving, racist folk of that land.

Perhaps deep down she sought to protect the unknowing newcomers to Helovia...

Looking with patient quietness between the two horses before her, Africa subconsciously disregarded the worth of Accalia- both potential for threat and suitability amongst her kin. She turned the focus of her attention blatantly, towards Manami who had nodded in initial response to Africa's arrival. "A pleasure Africa." The dapple grey mare’s expression lightened a little, refreshed that the previously terse nature of the duo’s conversation would not become an unavoidable tone, since Africa’s joining.
Allowing her eyes to sweep unpretentiously across the homeless mare’s form, Africa noted with restrained admiration that her coat, as black as a moonless night, shimmered almost gold beneath the radiating glow of sunlight. She smiled inwardly, appreciating her kind’s natural beauty.

"Might I inquire to ask what is Dragons Throat? I am new here as you may have guessed and would like to find a place that I might call home.” The last thought underlying Manami’s words had indeed occurred to Africa, and it was very well part of her reason for travelling so far north when constant danger lurked so unnervingly close by. She smiled genially, and nodded, still mostly closed to the horse who still lingered in their company. “The Throat...” (she condensed her homeland’s name fondly, for the sake of relieving awkward wordiness) “...Is the southern-most desert territory, and we are a sanctuary of sorts, for the respectable homeless- those who are looking for foundation and family and a place to nurture their ambitions.” Again, because it had been so ingrained into her very being, she recalled the words Midas had used so long ago- but this time Africa switched them a little, perhaps creating her own quote. Never the less, her explanation fostered the same meaning.

Manami...” She continued carefully after a brief, thoughtful pause. She passed a kindly, yet dismissive glance towards Accalia. “You would be more than welcome to join my family, and call the Throat your home if you felt so inclined. ” There was nothing corny about her invitation, and the nature of the offer was comfortably serious; her expression convivial.

Unregistered

Manami

Manami had all but disregarded the presence of Accalia, focusing instead on the wonderful pegasus mare that was of her same species. Tossing her forelock out of her eyes, she flicked her harks forward curiously as Africa answered her question. “The Throat is the southern-most desert territory, and we are a sanctuary of sorts, for the respectable homeless- those who are looking for foundation and family and a place to nurture their ambitions.” The respectable homeless huh? To metallic hued mare it sounded as if she might find kin in this Dragon's Throat although the desert part made her pause for a moment.

How in the world was she going to be able to create a garden in the desert? Cocking a hoof, Nami let her expression mirror her pondering thoughts so that Africa wouldn't think her rude in not responding right away. Flowers to Manami were like baby animals to some mares, she just about goes crazy for their elegant beauty, divine scent, and attentive listening. Where she used to live she had managed to grow a garden, and while she had studied the nurturing of desert gardens, she'd never had a chance to put it into practice. A small smile curved her lips as she thought of the challenge it would pose her.

Returning her optics back to the dove gray mare Nami let her voice roll out with that same seriousness of tone that Africa had used to let her know that Nami had taken the time to consider what she had offered and did not take it overly lightly as some other equines might. "I would be honored to make the Dragon's Throat my new home."

Deceased

Look down
Look up

As a child, sheltered and confined beneath the domineering glare of her Father, Africa learned to find pleasure in the simplest things. She spent hours fascinating over ecological concepts that were generally taken for granted by the mainstream residents of her homeland, Nyorm; how could blossoms, so quick and easy to bruise, hold within their delicate petals such colours that even spring-time rainbows dimmed enviously; why the shifting of seasons beckoned one tender bloom to open, yet caused another to wilt and wither away in the same gentle breath; what secrets were stashed forever behind the rough, enduing barks of the tallest, oldest trees in her enchanted forest. The bedazzling array flowers and plant life around her simple existence became her wonder-world, the joy pulsing through every beat of her gentle heart.

As such, the young curious horse was in the initial stages of beginning a career to suit her one true love. Africa yearned to discover new secrets, hidden from all but the childish creature’s ambitious imagination, about the flowers she adored; to combine certain samples perhaps and learn how they might interact with one another; to use magic beyond even her wildest dreams to create healing remedies, so that she might mend the ailing and war-torn. Her covert fantasies were as limitless as the bright blue embrace of her beloved sky.
The oasis nourished many splendid, exotic natives which Africa had never before witnessed prior to calling the Throat home- at first she had been sceptical, ignorant and somewhat dismayed by the idea of life in a desert. But between then and now, the dapple grey horse had filled many happy days pottering amongst the boundless variety of local flora.

Africa watched Manami with a quietly relaxing gaze as the mare with the lovely coppery sheen to her coat fell into idle thought- fondness was playing through her own carefree thoughts.

"I would be delighted to make the Dragon's Throat my new home," came the reply Africa had genuinely been hoping for and elation flooded through her naturally optimistic expression. Manami was one character who the dapple grey found an affinity in; remarkable given the briefness of their chance meeting this day.
Let’s not linger here then.” Africa suggested enthusiastically, lifting her face for a second heavenward. Turning with fluid grace, the grey mare surveyed the little clearing in one passing glance before stepping clear of her friend and new ‘herd-sibling’, and launching upwards with powerful wings beating in steady motion, spewing bursts of wind as they did. It would be a swift journey to the southern peninsula, blessed by the promise of great company.

[Ooc: I’m so sorry about the delay; these few days have been hectic. You are welcome to open the join thread in the Throat if I am too slow today, or you can wait for me to get it up ^_^ I will try to be quick I promise!]