the Rift

[PRIVATE] Before the Dawn

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The day was young, new, fresh. A smudge of darkness stood on the edge of the edge, her form a dark outline against the lightening sky. The mare had always been an early riser - or was it that she simply never slept? She rarely missed a chance to be conscious beneath the comforting rays of moonlight, preferring their gentle, silver, ethereal embrace over the harsh, coarse, heated rays of sunlight. A smile curved her soft lips as she remembered the source of darkness she had found at a dusking day with her sister, and subtly, gently, she turned her visage towards the area where she thought it lay, wondering idly if that strange creature, that human with her dark steed she rode, still laid there, strumming at her instrument, guarding the deep abyss that fuelled the very magic which allowed her to embrace her truly draconic side.

A few lengths away from her laid a curious bundle of scales and tufty hair, a collection of intertwined legs and leathery wings. As her golden gaze drifted back to them once more, as it had so many times in these days past, she smiled once again, unable to prevent the affection from overflowing her generously sized heart. There they laid, all three creatures who held a piece of her within themselves. Akaith, the one who held her soul, had nestled herself between the two slumbering masses of scaled foals, little bundles of love who held her blood, and her heart. There was no way she tire from simply looking at them, watching them grow, learn, live and succeed in the life they surely would lead. A deep breath was taken, and she inhaled their curious, new scents, loving the way they reminded her of Vikram, of her own parents, even of the moon itself.

With a quiet hum beginning in the depths of her throat, the mare idly sung a lullaby, in a language long forgotten by many, but not by her.

[ For Destrier ]
Mirage the DragonHeart

image credits
table by whit

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
WILL YOU RISE ABOVE THE PAIN
OR WILL YOU SIMPLY COME UNDONE?

The morning was still young, yet already it seemed so full of life. Up in the trees stretched so high into the sky, the birds sang their songs, as if trying to ease the land out of it's slumber. For some, the commotion was just what they needed to be lulled into a possibly even deeper sleep, just the same as those who took joy in sleeping to a rainstorm as they hid in the thick of a tree, or beneath the stony shelter of a cave. For others, though, they much rather preferred to be up and experiencing the orchestra, uncaring that the sun had hardly started to show its face.

One of those individuals myself. I had awoken some time ago, when the darkness had only just begun to rise. As per usual, I was on my feet in no time, and not a single thought of complaint crossed my mind as I began my daily routine of checking the borders. I did not feel particularly rushed on this day, instead slowing my steps to a leisurely walk and taking in the scenery of my home. The World's Edge was spectacular in every sense of the word, and not a day went by where I didn't count my lucky stars for giving me the chance to be a part of it. Not only was the land beautiful, but my family, the Qian, were something special indeed. Although my time spent with them amounted to less than a year, I knew I could trust them with my life, and hoped that they would instill the same level of trust in me for many years to come. I would serve them well no matter the circumstances.

As I rounded the bend that led me north and past the sheer cliffs, my eyes beheld a dark figure in the distance. The instinct of a warrior causes me to fault briefly, wondering if this was an intruder I was looking upon, but my worries are quickly pushed aside when I realize it is our beloved Weyrleader herself. A gentle smile pulls at my lips, and a moment later I continue my locomotion, approaching the midnight mare with quiet steps. The small forms behind her had been a mystery to me when I had been distanced, but as I drew closer, I realized that they were slumbering children. I hoped that I was not disturbing the group with my presence, and if I was, then I hoped that my Lady would send me away at once. She seemed happy enough, however, for the sweetest melody was playing from her throat in a lullaby. I did not know the tune, but it reminded me fondly of the nights when the men of Valhea would gather around a campfire, and sing songs of their daring adventures and dreams.

"What a lovely song," I say, the compliment slipping easily from my lips as I finally drew close enough and halted. Dipping my head in a display of respect, I then settled my gaze back upon the children. My voice was soft, quiet enough where I hoped that I would not disturb the resting youths. "And they are just as well. I hope I am not intruding; but may I inquire their names, my lady?"

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

The song was a deep melody, its lyrics combined with the undulating tones of humming, each word dancing upon the light breeze, changing its dynamics, its purpose. The language was foreign, and yet, her accent seemed to blend perfectly into it. It was a language where only truth could be spoken, where tales of honour and valour could be sung, where love and fulfilment could be found. She sung her lullaby to her children now, enriched the tale with everything she could, gifting it to their twitching ears which absorbed the song into their subconscious. Akaith raised her head and peered at her beloved through sleepy eyes, and Mirage felt the bond flood with love and affection - it was one of Akaith's favourite melodies.

The approach of the dark steed was no completely lost on the mare, but she did not halt her tale until it was finished, allowing him to be a part of it just as much as her children. She smiled as he stopped to listen, knowing that while the language was foreign to him, perhaps the meaning would still be clear. It was not necessarily a happy lullaby, but rather a recital of events past, a story of true honour and love, of destiny and greatness, of failure as well as success.

"My thanks for your kind words, Destrier." The mare breathed with her rich voice, that still seemed to hum with the melody it held just a moment before. It was soft but clear, it would disturb the slumber of the foals, though Akaith's crown still remained erect from her laying position, as she glanced up at the equines around her with eyes whirling a slow light blue hue, matching the lightening sky behind them. "You could never intrude upon your own home, WingLead." With an amused glint to her eye she returned the nod of respect, only then she took it a level further and pushed herself a step closer to him, proffering her muzzle for a gentle caress against this own, greeting him the way true comrades should - with a reassuring contact that would speak leagues more than any words ever could.

"Amaris is the one with golden scales, Semira is the silver. They are strong and well, and growing far too fast." A wry smile curved her lips as she glanced fondly down at them again. While they were still all legs and bony wings, they were slowly but surely filling in, showing the clear muscular density of their draconically enhanced father, combined with the stealthy, subtle ways of their mother. Mirage could only begin to wonder at what their futures held for them.

"How are yours?" Golden eyes peered upwards again at him, searching his face for.. What? She wasn't quite sure. Mirage had been the one to bring Tor back to the Edge an she had done it so that the family Destrier had created with the mare could be less.. Fractured. Had they spoken since the pale draft paint's return? Mirage had heard vaguely of the reunion between Tor and her daughter, of the attempts that the Nurse was making to win over the herd. The WeyrLeader did hope that she had made the right decision, the best choice for the family, and the Qian as a whole. Only time would tell whether Tor's acceptance here was extended to forever.
Mirage the DragonHeart

image credits
table by whit

Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo

When the dark mare continued her lullaby despite my presence, I found that I did not mind in the slightest. After all, I had come without invitation, and it would have been rude to do anything but stand and wait with patience. The tale was not one that I could fully understand, for I had surely not walked the same path as the Weyrleader, but I enjoyed the tune nonetheless.

Soon, the humming came to a stop, and I admittedly felt a part of me yearning to hear more. Idly I wondered if there was more to be told in soothing form of storytelling, but when the Dragonheart spoke, I let the thoughts subside. I was foolish to think that my leader's tales ended there. A gentle smile pulled at my lips when she insisted my presence was welcome, but what she did next took me by surprise. Stepping closer to me, the lady pressed her muzzle against my own, a gesture that I had only known to exist between myself and Bran. For a moment, I surely looked a fool, but before she could fully withdraw I returned the gentle pressure against her muzzle, exhaling softly. This sort of welcoming I accepted, but was simply unused to amongst those of my past. I would need to get used to it.

As she began to speak of her children, my eyes found the pair once again, settling first on the scaly, golden filly, Amaris, and then her silvery sister, Semira. Their names were suitable, for this land was of the moon itself, constantly watched from above by the Goddess herself. The twins were similar in appearance, from the way their scales marked their body to the color of their coats, which were just a few shades off from the others. Each bore markings upon one side of their face, representing the scale color of the other. Overall, they were a sight to behold, beautiful in their differences to the rest I had ever seen in my life. Would they, some day, follow in the hootsteps of their mother and rise to become Weyrleaders?

"They are lucky to have been born in such a land as the World's Edge," I speak with a smile, dark eyes rising to meet the golden iris' of Mirage once again. My words are true, I know, for I hailed from Gassul; a land of constant battle where young foals were taken from their mothers, and thrust into battle at much too young of an age. I was unlucky enough to have been one of those unfortunate souls. But now was not the time to speak of such dark things.

When the lady of the Edge spoke her own question, I could feel my face slip. It was not the face of my children that filled my mind at first, but that of their mother. The topic of the pale draft had always been a sensitive one from the day she had left, especially in the faces of Luken and Laila. I tended to keep my feelings held back for their sake, as well as my own, but this was the first time somebody else had asked me of how they were faring. With a gentle sigh, I spoke the truth, knowing the Dragonheart would see right through any phony attempt at lying. That was not in my nature anyhow.

"... They are not happy with their mother," I began to explain, remembering clearly the expressions of doubt and pain the pair had displayed at the herd meeting, when Tor had finally shown her face after a long absence. "I've not seen her myself for some time, and I do not know where she is now. I try my best to keep them happy, but I fear what Tor's absence is doing to them deep down."

Almost immediately, she regretted her words, her choice of questioning. She was also forced to question her own past actions - of bringing Tor back to the Edge, of giving her a task, a chance to prove herself.. Had she failed already? The little shadow mare hoped that the pale healer was not truly absent - she hoped that she was simply lurking in the mists. She knew that Tor had been trying, somewhat, Thor had mentioned as much, but still it was disconcerting to hear that she hadn't begun with the one whom she had claimed held her heart. Was she so ashamed of herself that she couldn't bear to face her beloved again? Her children?

"That is sad to hear. I hold hopes for the best outcome, whatever that may be." The WeyrLeader spoke quietly, seriously. Akaith cooed softly from her spot amidst the twins, resettling her wings in much a fashion that spoke of her disapproval of a mother to abandon their young before they were able to properly defend themselves. You abandon your hatchlings when they are but hours old! Mirage quipped amusedly to her. They are not defenceless like your soft skinned kind, the little queen replied coolly, promptly ignoring the two equines to return to adoring the sleeping children.

"It is a comfort to know they have a strong father to watch over them, at least, as well as many friends within the herd more than willing to defend them against harm." The warm, soothing voice of Mirage added, a kind smile gracing her lips as her façade softened to one of a friend attempting to give hope to another friend. She did still have hope in Tor, but had Tor lost that hope in herself? If that occurred, then all would be lost for the pale mare. Perhaps it was time to reignite her passion to rise to the challenge set out to her. Of course, Mirage could only do so much - truly, it was up to Tor herself to fix the mess she wrought on her abrupt, heartbreaking departure.

"Is there anything I can do for you in the meantime, Destrier?" The mare finally realised that his approaching her might not have been happy coincidence at all - had he come to her with a purpose, only to be distracted by her songs and idle conversation? Even so, Mirage treated most longer term members of the Qian as part of her family before she repositioned the metaphorical crown upon her poll and stood before them as their Queen.
You are always their Queen.
I hope not all the time, dear one.
Even before the mists granted you this title you were their queen.
An image of the Qian roaming in the depths of the Deep Forest surfaced from Akaith's mind and into her own. Mirage smiled a shadow of a smile to her little dragon.
I was their friend then too. It is they who called me their queen and weyrleader.
Still, a queen you were then, a queen you are now, a queen you always shall be.
If you say so, dear one.

[ Sorry for the wait, and the rustiness of this post. I take a couple of weeks off and I forget how to write, apparently -.- ]
Mirage the DragonHeart

image credits
table by whit

I had not wished to bring the Weyrleader down with my words, but they had simply been the truth. Mirage had been the one to set to the healer a task, after all, and ought to know what had become of the one she welcomed back so openly. Where exactly Tor was, I hadn't the slightest clue, but despite all these trials of pain and betrayal, I prayed that she was safe and faring well for I could never wish illy upon the mother of my children.

The Dragonheart expressed her condolences to me, and for that I was grateful. It was only now that I was beginning to realize just how much this all had consumed me. Tor's disappearance had not only harmed my children, but myself as well. Had I done something wrong? Certainly my children hadn't done a thing, for they'd been nothing more than spindly legged children upon her first disappearance. If I was at fault, however, I knew not what it had been to warrant such actions from my beloved. Her disappearance often kept me up late into the night, hoping, praying that her pale form would rise at the zenith of the furthest hill, heralding her return. Of course, my wishes had never been granted, and I was slowly beginning to lose faith that I would ever have my love returned to me.

Now, my gaze lingers briefly upon Akaith, who seems to be more than happy dozing with the scaly newborns. The sight brought a smile upon my face despite my warring internal feelings. With a gentle exhale, I returned my gaze to the benevolent mare that was my leader. The kindness she displayed spoke leagues that words could not, even if it was in the form of a simple smile or the lending of a listening ear. With that, the slightest dip of my head is given. "Thank you," I speak up, gratitude shining in the depths of bister eyes, "It means more to me than you know." There was so much moer I yearned to say, but for now, I would spare the Dragonheart the brunt of my emotion.

When she spoke of doing more for me, a genuine look of surprise crossed my expression. She'd already done so much simply by listening; what more could I ask for? Tor aside, I was happy living with Luken and Laila, as well as with my new title. I would need to get with Kaj soon and lay out some ideas for our Protectors... Not allowing my mind to wander, my gaze shifted briefly to Akaith as she lay with the resting fillies. I was reminded once more of my quest. I still needed to collect scales before digging up bones in the Spectral Marsh, in order to receive my armor.

Looking back to the shadow mare, I offer her a gentle smile before finally speaking. "Perhaps you can, if you accept my request," I start, watching carefully for any signs of unsettling by either the Dragonheart or her faithful companion, before I carry on. "I have been sent on a quest by the God of the Sun, to collect a scale from three separate dragons, in order to receive armor. I was wondering... if perhaps you and Akaith could aide me?"

The gratitude he expressed took her by slight surprise, a pleasant surprise, for she was glad that she was able to alleviate some of his tress, even if by simply providing him with a sympathetic ear to express himself to. A small smile drifted to her lips, before being reabsorbed by the clear, peaceful, impassive façade that ordinarily decorated her features. It was as if so much more words could fill the silence, but she did not press him for it - if anything ,the silence that lingered spoke more than words ever could. He continued to speak, after some time for thought - a quality she thoroughly enjoyed about him - and his request brought a very amused glimmer to her eyes. That small smile returned, more in the form of a smirk this time, curving along the velvet lips of the WeyrLeader, giving away very little as to the thoughts tumbling through her devious mind.

"What a fortuitous morning it is for you. To be seeking these things and to stumble across not one nor two who could help you, but four." With her words, that were spoken with a kind, playful, teasing tone, Akaith lifted her gaze once again, grumbling a curious tone. Only three, she mumbled into the mind of her beloved, impressing upon her mind that she did not want to be seen with one less scale upon her hide until the weeks it took to grow back passed. Vanity would always be the little dragon's flaw, but it did not make her bonded love her any less.

"Of course, the girls shall decide for themselves. Akaith has no desire to shed a scale, I'm afraid." With a smooth descent of her tiara, she brushed her soft muzzle against each hide of the twins, breathing a warm breath over their rumps to gently stir them from their slumber. As they awoke, the mare took several steps back, moving so that the ocean acted as a backlight. Bowing her head to her chest, she called upon the magic that would engulf her in flames. The light began from the golden tattoo that was inscribed upon her nape, spreading like a wildfire devouring her dark, charred hide. Pain did swallow her senses, but she expected it, and knew how to best shield herself from it. Within moments, the transformation was complete, and a golden dragon stood where a little dark mare previously dwelt.

By the time it was done, the twins had arisen - as it would seem, they had only been pretending to sleep, and so they knew the request that would be asked of them. Amaris walked to her mother's side first, pressing her scaled maw against the golden side of her mother. A deep crooning began to hum from the chest of the great golden one, as she affectionately embraced her equally devious daughters. "I will help." Amaris spoke with her melodic voice, peering at the large, dark stallion who stood nearby. He was not as large as her father, naturally, but he had a good heart - that much she could discern with her childish view on the world.

"The God of Sun often sets tasks that seem simple at first glance, but evolve into something far more... unpleasant. This is not the first time I have agreed to aid one enduring a task set by the fiery Lord. Akaith, if you would be so kind to share a skin from one of your recent kills.." The first half she spoke to Destrier himself, the second she directed to the little gold who hovered nearby, who chirruped in a somewhat disgruntled, but obliging manner in response. Diving over the cliff to her hidden nook in the rocks, the dragon was gone for several minutes. In her absence, Mirage reached around her own hide, lifting her wing to select one of the more mobile scales that resided there. With surprising dexterity, she dislodged a scale from her hide, and dropped it upon the ground. It's absence would make no difference to her overall armour, it would grow back within a month - truly it was an easy gift to give.

With more care and careful consideration, the DragonHeart did the same to her golden daughter, who selected a scale upon the crest of her nape to give, and so another scale was dropped to the ground. Once this was completed, Akaith had returned, and began gathering the flecks of dragonhide into her makeshift pouch. It was now up to Semira to decide whether she wanted to contribute or not, and Mirage purred a low tone of encouragement that expressed that she need not feel pressured either way. Destrier was their WingLeader now, and she herself was happy to ensure that he had the best tool available to serve his lands - she trusted him well enough to know that he would use them for his home, and not his own selfish endeavours.

[ Kachie is going to post Semira next for you, Dingo, ^^
Full permission is given to Kachie to powerplay Mirage or Akaith in aiding her to remove a scale, if she wishes. ]
Mirage the DragonHeart

image credits
table by whit

Semira Posts: 42
Hidden Account
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: Yearling
Kachie
Careful contemplation was given by the youngest of the Dragonheart's daughters, the silver child who was just that little bit different, yet alike from her female relatives. She hung back a bit, watching as her twin and her mother each shared a single golden scale. There were no misgivings lurking in her heart, no. Merely deep thoughts for a young mind swirling in her head.

Golden eyes drifted from her family to Destrier, ears twitching as she thought about his request. Finally she piped up. "I'll give one." She bent her head about, attempting to pluck off one of the silvery scales that cascaded over her shoulder, but couldn't quite grasp one. Pleading eyes found Akaith, wordlessly requesting help. A happy thrum escaped her when that help was given, the little golden dragon coming over and helping her pick out a desired scale to donate.

At last three scales lay in the makeshift pouch, two gold and one silver. But young Semira was not quite done. With careful steps she approached Destrier, lithe tail swaying in the air behind her and wings partially outstretched to better maintain her balance. "If you want, I'm sure Father would give you one. Then you'd have all the different shiny colors." A cheeky little grin was offered the black steed, and the solemn moment was gone, shattered. The pieces strewn every which way as she whirled and scampered back to Mother, tucking herself beneath a protective wing, golden eyes peering back out at Destrier with a mischievous light.

I was a fool not to have noticed before, but Mirage was right when she proclaimed that not only she or Akaith could help me in my quest, but her daughters could, as well. Already I had spoken with two others bonded to these scaly, fire-breathing creatures to receive scales, so my need for more than one other was non-existent. However, I found myself unable to deny any of them their offerings; I was more than happy to take their gifts, and even if they were not used in the creation of my armor, I would assure they were not wasted.

The Weyrleader was quick to morph into her second form, and I couldn't help but wonder what such a transformation felt like. Did it hurt? If it did, then the Dragonheart did well to hide any hint of pain. One by one the draconic family helped one another to pluck a scale, save for Akaith, who seemed not to want to join in. I didn't mind, of course, and I couldn't say I was entirely surprised. After all, I was asking for a literal piece of her skin... I can't say I would be so willing to rip a piece of myself off so that somebody may make armor out of me. It was a shame, though; I wouldn't be able to have a piece of the little Queen beauty with me at all times.

But despite this, Akaith helped in her own way, spreading her wings and taking to the skies to... where? I didn't know, but before long she had returned, a makeshift leather pouch clutched in her talons as she went about picking the scales up and putting them safely into the pouch. As the golden went about doing this, I lifted my gaze back to Mirage and listened intently as she spoke of the fiery God that had originally set this task to me. My encounter with him had been my first with any sort of higher power, and I would be lying if I said I hadn't any doubts they were even real in the first place. Now, of course, my views on that had changed entirely.

"I would beleive it," I replied with a soft chuckle, recalling the words spoken by the flaming stallion, "I thought it would be easy, but I do believe I've been proven wrong. Though, I have you and your family to thank for making it a bit easier on me." After all, I still had to venture itno the depths of the Spectral Marsh and somehow manage to dig up dragon bones. I hadn't a clue how I would even begin that daunting search, but I would figure it out in time.

Semira was the last to give a scale of her own, and twisting my ears towards her, I listened as she spoke of her father, whom I knew as Vikram. The bronze bohemoth seemed to be a gentle creature when faced with his family, and I would make certain to speak with him soon. As the filly drew to a halt and put forth her suggestion, a genuine smile pulled at my face. I had always had a soft spot for children. "I might pay him a visit, then," I said, "Thank you for your help, Semira. I may take you up on your suggestion."

It was only then that I lifted my head to it's natural position again, my eyes warm as I settled them back upon the four gathered. "Thank you again, to each of you. I cannot express my gratitude enough."