the Rift

[OPEN] actions write the melodies to the songs that we sing

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

It is morning, and for the first time in many weeks, it is cool. A slight breeze drifts over the golden sands of the Throat, wafting gently through the oasis, caressing my skin into wakefulness. I shiver, not because of the chilled air, but because of the memories its stroke invites. And with it comes guilt. Of course, I knew that I would feel it, and even so I leaped into Gaucho's embrace, allowed things to go much further than they should have - or maybe I let them go because it was right. Or at least not wrong. I sigh, perplexed at the mixture of emotions within me. What am I supposed to feel about this? Am I in the wrong? I must be - and yet, it felt so right...

I shake my head and take a deep breath. The smell of heat does not linger today, although the sun's presence in the eastern sky suggests that it will indeed turn into a warmer day. I wonder if it will be bearable, but it doesn't really matter, I suppose. I can always take flight, take a break from the stagnant heat on the surface. Again the memories ride through my mind, and I smile in spite of the pang in my chest. I am in so much trouble. I need to get this under control. I need to figure out what this means.

Skysong is frolicking with some of the other foals today, and I welcome the respite. I love my daughter with all my heart, but I cannot help but hate her for being the only one to live. Irrational? Maybe. But I know that my love conquers that unacknowledged feeling. And I know that I would protect her against all else. I grimace. Would Note still stand beside me? Shaking my head again - I'm going to shake my poor brain loose if I keep this up - I meander over the to the oasis. The small lake that we are provided as a source of water is calm, smooth in the morning light. Everything here reminds me of what I've done, and for the first time in a while, I find myself wishing that I had never come here.

But now it is home. The drifts of sand surrounding our perfect little haven are home. The heat of the sun is home - I don't even sweat as much anymore. Rowan, my best friend and my child's godmother, is home. Note, my mate, is home. Or he should be. Right? Levi, an old friend, is home. Even Gaucho, now, smells of home. And lust. But that's another story, and I'm trying hard not to think of it right now, because to think about it would mean that I have to confront my feelings, and I don't even know where to begin with those. Instead, I lower my nose to the water and take a long drink.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

Moons passed quickly, blurring Africa’s first few weeks as a part of the desert family. She had met many already, though mostly by awkward and often times uncomfortable chance. Although contented with her relaxed home life, the young enthusiastic horse yearned for more- for knowledge and responsibility; she wanted to apply herself, and to grow. “Later we can talk about your position within the herd...” Midas had clarified upon her arrival so many days past, but the raw young horse was quite intimidated by the prospect of ranks, nobility and the like. Kri who she had seen roughly (perhaps not even truly met), had impressed a gullible nervousness into her mind and she had thus far hesitated all attempts to seek out help. Africa knew she could not dither in the shadows of this bustling kingdom any longer though.

Wrapped up in her own determined ambition, youthful Africa stepped through the messy clusters of cane searching for Midas possibly, or anyone really who might be able to offer her exuberance some direction. Setting off during the early hours of daylight, the dapple grey had allowed more than ample time for her endeavour, and inhaling deeply; resolutely, she scoured the shaggy oasis undergrowth for movement. Figuring the lake to be a welcome temptation for any who dwelt in the desert, that is where she headed initially.

The growth of flourishing flora thickened as Africa picked a careful path down an embankment near by the watering hole. She could see as she lifted her face curiously, its glistening blue surface, through the rich green foliage. Autumn had no strength here.

Closing the remaining space, the young Pegasus scrambled down a small sandstone ledge, her hooves sinking quickly into the yielding substrate as she arrived. She stepped artfully now, not like she had on the first few occasions she had come by to quench her thirst. Balancing her weight with slightly opened wings and moving promptly to the more durable sand, by the water’s edge, Africa dropped her dry lips to drink. Quite indulged and more than refreshed, her cream eyes glanced about the area- finding curiously, another horse almost snowy in colour, and completely unfamiliar.

Nervous anticipation flooded the labyrinth of veins, in turn feeding the timid flinch of her hide. She knew procrastination would win her no service though, and whickered lightly in greeting as she began navigating around the lakes edge in the direction of the pale hued Pegasus. It did not take the gentle swing of her long legs to consume the distance separating them. “Hello.” She called ahead of her, diligent not to shatter the tranquillity of the still fresh morning. And as she drew to a halt before the stranger, Africa smiled timorously, unsure if her blatant appearance would be met as an inconvenience so early in the peace. “I am Africa... pretty new around here, sorry. Er, I was wondering if you had the time to help me out please?” Shifting awkwardly as she bumbled her graceless spray of words, the dapple grey offered another fleeting smile no matter how it betrayed her insecurity.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Sohalia

I remember when I first arrived in the Throat. I was quiet, a bit shy, not used to the company of so many others. I had been a loner for so long that I had forgotten what it felt like to have a family. But Rowan had helped me to adjust, as she was more of a loner, too, and together we confronted the challenge of crowds. Slowly, I had blossomed in the hold of my new family. I was happy, I was healthy, and I was prepared to contribute to my herd. And I was in love, thanks to my friend Phaedra. Rumor has it that the Grey has invaded the Foothills. I am glad that she, and her foals, have a home; I admit that I worried endlessly about them.

But now it would seem that I am a whole different mare. I have loved; I have lost. I have found myself tied here with no real reason to stay. Sure, Note is trying to be here for our daughter and for me, but I have betrayed him. I have betrayed her. What kind of mother am I? What kind of mate am I? What kind of being am I? I truly must be selfish, to have taken all that Note has done for me and to metaphorically throw it in his face. Not that he knows, yet. Perhaps he never will. But does that make me better or worse?

A Pegasus mare appears, and I eye her as she approaches the water. She looks younger than me, though she is certainly much taller. A well-proportioned fae, there is an elegance about her that I get the feeling she had only recently begun to grow into; along with that, there is something almost nervous about her. I haven’t seen her before, so maybe she is new and anxious, like I once was. I find myself wondering how long she was alone before she arrived here. Her greeting is gentle, if a bit timid, and I immediately take a liking to her.

The need to place my own worries to the side, as I had done so often before for so many others – perhaps this is the part of me that I have forgotten in recent weeks, though that is a musing for another time – is a relief, and I smile kindly at her. Perhaps I am not the oldest of the herd, but I have been here long enough, I feel, to be of some assistance. ”Hello, Africa,” I say in a soft, flute-like voice. ”I am Sohalia. Welcome to the Dragon’s Throat. How can I help you?”

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Relief... The feeling swept through the young horse’s nervously awkward demeanour like the first monsoonal rain across a savannah. It was both cleansing and renewing. The anxious swirl of butterflies in Africa’s tummy found rest upon the sweet grasses that she had already consumed during her first meal of that morning, and the queasiness souring her generally upbeat aura settled in waiting- always, waiting.

Wait! Pasty, cream eyes narrowed as her own meek gaze was greeted by the other mare’s, friendly, engaging eyes. Never had she met another with a disparity in eye colour and though perhaps trivial to most, Africa’s ignorance became her unexpected (no matter how innocent), imprisonment in the moment. She could not imagine how unusual the world must have appeared from the lovely creature’s green and blue perspective. Africa beamed dumbly- entranced.

The Pegasus was quite possibly more beautiful; prettier and more polished, than any other in her experience. Clothed in the pristine white of lazy summer clouds, Africa was attracted closer- like the childish illusion might be stolen away from her starry eyes at any moment. She could not let it be taken. You are the fantasy- I found her Mother!. “I am Sohalia. Welcome to the Dragon’s Throat. How can I help you?” Africa tumbled back into the reality of her mission.

Black rimmed ears tilted forward, pressing against the cool morning air as Sohalia spoke, and Africa was both humbled and grateful that her muddle seemed no bother. Foolishly, the younger horse hesitated, scrabbling over and perfecting a response. “I don’t know where to start.Fool. She was so desperate to please. Once more, the words had spewed clumsily from her lips though, and now a surge of blushing heat swallowed her face. Disheartened, Africa remembered Kri’s reaction to mindless banter and shuddered, shaking lightly through her withers beneath an opaque cloud of thin red dust.

I’m sorry Sohalia, I might begin again.” Bravely now, Africa sought clarity from the jumble of her thoughts, and found it. “Thank you, I was hoping to speak with someone about my future in the Throat... (already fondness and devotion embraced her voice as she issued the word which represented her home) ...I fear I am nothing but a parasite right now- sucking without contribution.” A relieved sigh burst perhaps a little too loudly through her still parted lips, yet she cared little. Already she was maturing, blooming; Africa was thoroughly enjoying her adventure in Helovia.

Sohalia

Perhaps I have been here longer than I thought, if newcomers are seeking me out for counsel. On the one hand, the thought makes me swell with pride, as though I have somehow managed to prove my worth here. But I also know that isn't true, and the other part of me shrinks with shame. How long have I been here? Since, what, Birdsong? I've been here for almost three seasons, and all I have done is bear children - and only one of those lived. All I have done is fall in love, or so I thought, though now I have to wonder if it wasn't simply the idea of love that I fell for. Despite my inner turbulence, I keep the inviting smile on my face. If there is one thing I have learned over the past seasons, it is how to put on a happy exterior, even when the inside is falling apart.

The young fae is staring at me rather blatantly, and I wonder if she has ever seen a pegasus like me before. I am not conceited, but I am aware that I am considered to be very pretty - angelic, even. I have a perfect white pelt with no markings save a few light grey patches on my legs and at the tip of my muzzle, but even these are fading with age. I was simply born light, and have only gotten lighter. I boast a petite figure with a dished head reminiscent of Arabian lineage, although I daresay their concave maws are much more pronounced than mine, which has proven to be fairly straight. And my eyes are, to some, entrancing, with one a light, sky blue and the other an appealing sea green.

Africa starts, then stops, as though afraid that I might lash out, though I'm not sure if she expects physical or verbal abuse. The thought disturbs me, as I am all too aware of the emotional baggage that we all carry with us, and I make it my unspoken goal to calm this flighty fae. She is home now, and she need not be fearful within our warm embrace. She starts again before I can voice a calming word, and I listen with polite interest on my maw. Her clear pride in the Throat brings a winning smile to my otherwise unmarred complexion, and I feel a renewed warmth as she finishes speaking.

I ponder her words for a moment, and then I offer my advice: "Well, Africa, I can tell you about the various ranks within the herd, but the choice is yours." My memory reels back to when Rowan had the same conversation with me, and I smile fondly. "There are, of course, the soldiers, who defend our borders. Their role, I should think, is fairly self explanatory. Midas is their General, so should you wish to pursue this role, you would need to speak with him. We also have our informants, led by the Sleuth Xira. They are... well, I suppose the easiest way to describe their role is to compare them to spies. They gather information on the other herds and outcasts bands, so that we are aware of any potential threats. They are also in charge of protecting us from those who would take what is not theirs.

"The Oracle is in charge of the Pupils - or, rather, the scholars of the herd. Cassiopeia was our Oracle, but to be truthful, I'm not sure where she is now. It was so sad when her mate passed... but I'm getting off topic. Anyway, their goal is to gather as much information as they can about everything. Flora, fauna, the land - anything you can imagine. My best friend, Rowan, is a scholar, and she's the smartest horse I know... let's see... what else? Oh, you could visit Onni or Cirrus about being a healer, they're the herd shamans; and lastly, there's Coris, who's our artisan. He can forge incredible things out of metal!"
I stop to take a breath, and to see if Africa is following my words. It's a lot of information, so I'll answer any questions she has.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased

Look down
Look up

“There are, of course, the soldiers...” Africa could not help but close her eyes for a moment as the still vivid impression of that wretched stallion bullying her for a feather high in the mountains to the north, danced through her mind. Midas had come from nowhere to her defence, perhaps even saving her life. He is a soldier, she thought quietly, and opened her eyes again thoughtfully. Then, Sohalia explained that he was in fact a General in charge, and the young horse blushed self-consciously, cursing herself for having bothered him with her careless wanderings and trouble. Perhaps she should look upon him more respectfully from this point forward; maybe she should mind herself entirely and stay clear of his business.

Africa certainly did not want to become a soldier- the fight she had witnessed on that field was brutal and bloody, quite the opposite to her plan.

The white mare continued, “We also have our informants, led by the Sleuth Xira. They are... well, I suppose the easiest way to describe their role is to compare them to spies...” The concept intrigued Africa’s simple mind, yet she struggled to see herself as such; her nature was not cunning, nor clever. She thought about Lana who had recently escaped the Basin, and about Athena, who the filly had claimed was still trapped. All of this had definitely excited the unassuming young horse, but from a fairy-tale perspective- such fitted easily into the moulds shaped by her mother. Spying and reporting seemed an immense task, and not one well suited to an inexperienced newcomer who knew only the basics about Helovian life and culture. No, no... she shook her head, thinking as she listened.

A dragonfly paused with delicate precision across stretched legs on the surface of the blue water. Its slight weight caused barely a ripple to break Africa’s near perfect reflection- the unexpected pounce of an eel’s gaping mouth however did, and the young mare’s focus darted towards the suddenness of the movement in time only to find the serpent-like creature’s shining scales slipping away into the deep dark water below. She snorted lightly, returning quickly while Sohalia continued to explain the ranks, and what each position tended. It was just the information Africa had unwittingly be searching for and an appreciative smile decorated her otherwise concentrating expression. It seemed her herd-sister understood her intentions, and the grey’s flailing method of explanation.

“"The Oracle is in charge of the Pupils - or, rather, the scholars of the herd.” Sohalia went on, and Africa’s ears pricked curiously, finding the notion of scholar more interesting and less... dangerous. Her eyes sparkled, and she made certain to absorb every word and all the detail that was offered. The grey loved lore, and travelling; and she loved all matter of plants. She could not imagine all that the role might entail, there was so much out there and Africa was easily overwhelmed.

To Africa, Sohalia seemed so wise and knowing, and she could not help nodding enthusiastically, more than encouraged by the mare’s forthcoming nature and willingness to help. “I know... let's see... what else? Oh, you could visit Onni or Cirrus about being a healer.” Again Africa’s thoughts flicked back to that fretful day. Midas had inflicted such a gash on the poor horrible stallion, her aggressor, and pity had swelled as tears in her eyes at the sight. The sickening thud as the General’s hoof sank into the supple skin of his opponent had ricocheted through Africa’s own body, and she remembered then with a new surge of determination, that healing was what her preference was- her self-appointed purpose.

Onni and Cirrus, she told herself over and over. Not for a second letting the names waste to the back of her memory- they were so important to Africa’s future.

“...Coris, who's our artisan. He can forge incredible things out of metal!” Africa was indeed surprised, if a little sceptical, but she had seen the half-made wall to the north of the Throat with her own eyes. Perhaps that was the beginning of one such creation by Coris. Again the dapple grey Pegasus nodded attentively and with interest, noting though the conclusion as her company finalised all that had been revealed.

Thank you so much, Sohalia.” Africa was exceedingly grateful, overloaded perhaps with the wealth of information, but so thankful. She did not need to pause however, and continued earnestly, her voice rising with purity and passion. “Healing is where my heart lies.” She felt a flush of blood through her face, zealous and burning. “I know it is.” The young horse beamed, and it was all that she could do to keep from leaping with childish delight. She withheld some composure though, an attempt to seem sensible perhaps, or just not imprudent.

Do you know where I might find either Onni, or Cirrus- or both?” The day was still so young and Africa was itching terribly to continue on with her journey.

Sohalia

Speaking of all of this reminds me of my own journey through the Throat. I had not known what rank to pursue - I still don't, really. For a long time, I had considered the ancient art of healing, but I do not like blood and gore, so I tend to stay away from it. That would never do on the battlefield, or even after. Then I had tried to follow Rowan's footsteps. I had sought out Cassiopeia and spoken with her about becoming a scholar, but she has disappeared, and I never really felt that I fit the role, anyway. I was not intelligent enough, and though I enjoyed learning, I did not actively seek it out as Rowan had. If anyone deserved the title, it was her.

And so now I have begun to consider crafting, for I cannot be a soldier when I fear battle, and I will not be a spy when I might be captured or killed in the line of duty. I would like to be able to sacrifice myself in such ways, but I have a family who needs me.

The thought of my family brings a pang to my heart as I remember once more how I have betrayed them.

But I am soon drawn back into the moment when the young Africa expresses her delight and her interest in healing. It is good, that she should know what she wants to do so young - I certainly didn't. Of course, when I was younger, I was fleeing my home in fear of racism, but that's a different story. For the first time, I begin to wonder what trails this shy creature might have gone through in her journey here. I hope her past is not like mine. "I'm not really sure where they might be," I say with a frown. "Surely somewhere around here. I'm fairly certain that a water source is a must for healers of any kind. I can help you look for them, if you'd like."

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased
[Image: afri_zps12e4f1bf.png]

The crystal blue lake, the epicentre of the bustling territory, was stirred to life. Already hours ago, the first thuggish call of a Flycatcher had shattered the tranquillity of the clean dawn. Now the clashing chorus of many more birds filled the lake’s lively atmosphere; a pleasant sound which brought a sense of wellbeing to Africa’s sensitive soul- a feeling that all was well. More horses too; folk of her homeland, began to trickle down to freshen themselves by the shimmering water’s edge, some wearied and preparing to rest after a long night patrolling the Throat’s vast, unforgiving borders- of course, this task was made far more manageable by the gift of flight.

The young mare was at peace in the company of the clean white horse; Sohalia appeared to Africa to radiate confidence and wisdom far beyond the meek dapple grey’s own worth- she had been able to address Africa’s thoughts after all. The cheer and satisfaction rose in an optimistic aura about the young horse’s lean, elegant frame. By character she was unquestioning, gullible and her vivid imagination had not yet escaped the embrace of fanciful dreams and desires. Africa was a child at heart who approached each fork in her road with innocent energy- reacting on a whim, for better or worse.

"I'm not really sure where they might be," Sohalia frowned, but Africa was none the less fazed, having only just begun her journey for knowledge and acceptance. The white Pegasus had offered so much already, and the young mare felt indebted to such kindness- it was still relatively early after all. Her ears leaned forward curiously when the white mare continued. “Surely somewhere around here. I'm fairly certain that a water source is a must for healers of any kind. I can help you look for them, if you'd like”. That’s what I thought too, Africa grinned, but with a flick of her tail replied, “Only if you aren’t busy. Yes, please...” The excited horse paused, her brow creased thoughtfully. “You know, I think I have met Cirrus already.” She recalled the night Ahi had required treatment. “I’m sure of it.

Africa peered across the lake as it stirred beneath the chilly breeze’s tender breath. The water spread far and wide, and she imagined that it might take perhaps a solid half of the day to negotiate the slippery banks the entire way around. Hopefully they are nearby, she wished to herself as she stepped away after waiting briefly for Sohalia's reaction, scrabbling up the loose sandstone wall and dislodging much of the loose rock beneath her clumsy steps.

Sohalia?” She began again quietly, tilting her face to the side which she presumed her herd-sister would be on. Africa didn’t pause though, instead continuing casually along a path that curled fairly parallel with the water, ducking and weaving between tall shaggy clusters of cane palm and dense clumps of bull grass. “What are these animals who I have seen so many of our kin travelling with?” The concept puzzled the raw young mare, but she was equally fascinated and couldn’t help a desire to ‘own’ such a creature (like the one Midas had actaually), for herself. As afterthought, Africa breathed, “There is so much I so desperately want to learn.” A light sigh, and the young mare reflected all that she had so far encountered since coming to Helovia only a month or two ago. A smile lingered across her twitching lips.

(ooc: I already posted to Onni and Cirrus :P Because I can’t help myself, but I figured since Sohalia is so awesome Africa could keep learning and asking questions as they search)

Art by Nevada
Table by Ghost

Sohalia

She graciously accepts my offer of help, and then we are on our way. As she claims to know Cirrus, she takes the lead, though I allow myself to trot a few steps to catch up on her left side. The day is actually quite nice. I have grown used to the heat of the desert, and the warm days and chilly nights of Orangemoon are almost unpleasant. Not quite, but almost. Perhaps in another year, I will welcome the heat of Tallsun - but, remembering the sweating and misery, I realize that I will probably never welcome such discomfort. No, Birdsong and Orangemoon remain my favorite seasons.

A gentle breeze stirs over the surface of our little lake, pushing the crystalline waters into lazy waves. They lap against the surface, not far from our moving hooves. Their sound is calming, and I smile in spite of myself. I have always liked the water, so I suppose I am very thankful for such a lovely source in my homeland. It is a small lake, really, though large enough to encompass a good deal of our day in the search. I am glad, for it gives me something to do rather than sit around and mope. Africa has been as a draft of fresh air, reminding me that there is more to life than just my own problems. I like her, and I am glad that I get to keep her company a bit longer.

"Sohalia?" she begins thoughtfully, snapping me out of my own thoughts. She asks a question, and I smile kindly at her. I'm sure that, being new to Helovia, she may well have many unanswered questions. I, for one, came from a land without companions and only limited magical qualities, so my arrival here was rather... shocking. "You must mean companions," I say. "I don't have one myself, so I may not be the best to explain, but from my understanding, certain animals - both normal ones and mythical ones - select one of us to be its companion. The bond that they share is very strong - I've heard that if the bonded dies, the companion will, as well. They become one mind, if you will, sharing thoughts and emotions between their bond. They are still two separate entities, but they are also one. I wonder sometimes if the bond between a companion and its bonded is stronger than that between lovers." This last comment is musing, for I think of Note and his newfound companion, Sabel.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Mhmm... Companions... ” Africa repeated intensely after Sohalia had best attempted her explanation; perhaps somehow assuring herself that the word suited the notion. From even her earliest days, she had been educated to dismiss all but her own kin as worthless and lacking any need for consideration. Of course she rebelled against her father’s racist rulings with as much vigour as any adolescent would, but no other ideas had been made available to overwrite his manipulation. Never the less, Africa never gave the white mare’s reliability a second thought, again trustingly accepting all which had been so generously divulged.

Pondering for a brief moment, she found she wasn't at all sure of meaning surrounding the term 'mythical', though for fear of sounding overly ignorant, she passed over its implication for the time being. Instead she dithered around the idea of bonds; of one heart beating perhaps for two (that one should die if their bonded’s breath should cease); of the sharing of one’s most intimate thoughts without even a blink; that perhaps pain could also be shared, from the wound of one, through the other...

It sounded increasingly absurd the deeper she delved, but Africa believed Sohalia because she had seen Aryel with a miniature naked-winged dog, a stallion with a kitten of sorts, Midas with the flaming bird and Cirrus with a strangely frightening wolf creature. A new respect for such animals was formed then within the privacy of her mind, though she smiled outwardly at the deliberation.

Africa knew that Sohalia had mentioned herself as not being the best source to explain ‘companions’, but another question rumbled with desperate yearning in her throat, and could not resist the temptation to ask. “How do they come to be bonded?” The question was innocence perhaps intertwined with a graceless greed, but Africa enjoyed learning about these alien concepts regardless- she was growing as a part of Helovian culture after all. The young dapple grey halted then, and turned to find Sohalia. Perhaps the intent behind her questioning portrayed the level of her plaguing interest.

Sohalia

I have to wonder if healing is truly where this mare's heart lies. She is just so inquisitive, and something about her reminds me of my friend Rowan. There is an eager intelligence in her eyes, something in the way that she mulls over my answers that just screams scholar, but who am I to question one's choices in life? After all, I have made many of my own mistakes, and I am just now beginning to figure out which direction I should take. I am sure that Africa's personality and questions will take her far in whichever field she should choose to pursue, unlike my own wavering morals. Perhaps I am too hard on myself. I have made mistakes, it's true, but so have we all. It is how we learn, and I must remember not to hold myself accountable for my own learning process, even if it has been more painful than most.

Her next question is one that I know that I am not well-equipped to answer, but I will certainly do my best to try. She stops to look at me, and again I favor her with a kindly smile. "Well, Africa, keep in mind that I cannot speak from personal experience," I warn her before continuing, "but my understanding is that somehow or other, a bonded pair are brought together when the companion is very young. One might consider the process a type of imprinting - I'm not quite sure - but oftentimes it falls to the bonded equine to provide nourishment to the companion. Food, perhaps, or shelter, or affection. From what I have seen, bonded companions seem to develop personalities of their own, and the pair works more as a team than anything else. I would have to say that to many, a companion fills a type of void in the bonded that they may never have even known existed before. The actual process, though, that is something that eludes me. I have heard only tales, and seen only the bonded pairs after their bond is created."

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Young and naive, Africa had come to Helovia quite deliberately, both on a quest to discover the magical lands built throughout her mother’s fairy-stories, and with the subconscious intention to learn her true purpose in life. As seen through the eyes of one so young- both in spirit and in age, Helovia was an unexplored map which wrought endless confusion; a treasure chest of possibilities that only understanding could unbolt. Still mostly unmarred by the intimidating world around her, she was a slate waiting to be engraved; a leaf dancing wildly on the breeze.

Apparently their search for either Shaman was short-lived. The enthusiasm in her mind, the blind, impulsive desire to commence and engross herself into some form of study; it was all sidetracked, while she watched the contorting lips of Sohalia as they continued with enduring patience, to feed her determined hunger for knowledge. The commotion surrounding the lake- the chipping frog, the shrill song of exotic birds, even the suck of hooves leaving the mud, all seemed to fade away around the dapple grey and her clean white company. "Well, Africa, keep in mind that I cannot speak from personal experience..." Sohalia had warned kind-heartedly. Africa nodded quickly, the thick drape of light grey forelock bouncing along freely with the motion, and the sensible (she had already determined) mare continued. “...but my understanding is that somehow or other...” Paying special attention, the Pegasus tilted her face, a stern form of curiosity marbling her pale white features. Long though proportionate ears leaned against the sound of Sohalia’s gentle voice, it was soothing and calm; captivating in a sense, but so was the topic.

An unfortunate series of events had swayed Africa onto her chosen path, to heal, and really the decision had been a rash one; formed through sorrow and emotion, and fuelled by the unexpected witnessing of violence between one warrior and one untrained fool. The fight had been unmatched, and while she could not have been more relieved (and safe) at the result- the grim thrashing inflicted on the lesser stallion, his maiming had stirred the sudden desire to heal. She was a work in progress realistically, and every influence etched experience and new resolution into her wide-open mind. The art of mending held only a small percentage of the ideas and wishes evolving in her heart.

I am going to learn the process myself..” She muttered aloud in response, through a brooding smile. Her eyes which had dropped to study the illusion of herself and a creature much like Midas’ as crafted by Sohalia’s words returned, beaming with renewed motive. “I wonder if I will ever be bonded...” It wasn’t a question exactly, just an uttered consideration, and her museful, distant voice was filled with wonder.

I’m sorry that I keep asking so many questions,” Africa apologised suddenly, as though stirring abruptly from a dream cluttered slumber. “You are so helpful. I guess I was carried away in the moment.” The spinning thoughts had not lulled however, nor had the invigorated sparkle reflecting through her eyes. For now her endeavour to heal had been laid to rest, the idea discarded carelessly. “I honestly have no idea where to begin though, is there another I should seek? Somebody who could point me in the right direction?” Despite the barefaced questioning, Africa remained polite and gracious.

Sohalia

It is very easy for Africa to get sidetracked, it would seem, though it may well be that she is still new to this place and its strangeness. I do not blame her for the questions she asks, nor do I mind answering them, though I do wish I could help her to understand. If it was magic that she wanted to know of, I could help her; if it were the gods that she inquired about, I could assist her. But of companions I know very little - only what I have gathered from Note - and he is one stallion that I would like to avoid thinking about at this particular moment in time.

I cannot be very much older than Africa, but I feel much older, wiser to the ways of the world. Perhaps my rather short-lived childhood forced me to grow up much faster, or perhaps I would have turned out this way even if I had been able to remain with my parents, with my herd. I don't know the answers, and although I very much wish that I had arrived in Helovia under different circumstances, I cannot say that I am displeased with how I have turned out. I have come very far from the lonely wanderer that first met Rowan. It turns out that I have a rather friendly personality, and have come to truly enjoy the company of others, though at first I was rather shy.

Regardless, I am pleased my Africa's attention, for I can see that she truly does want to learn, to understand. To her quiet musings, I smiled. "It is not impossible," I assure her. She may well be bonded by the next time I see her, for all I know. A brief silence follows before she apologizes, and I laugh, shaking my head. "Never apologize for a quest for knowledge," I tell her earnestly. "It is important that you gather as much as you can, for you never know when you might need it." The conversation shifts again, and I find myself searching my minds for bonded members of our herd to whom I could direct her. "Midas would be one. Perhaps Note, if you can find him." I cannot help a touch of hurt and anguish from entering my voice, but I force it smooth again. "As far as others... I'm not sure. I wish I could be of more help," I add apologetically. Perhaps my two names will be enough of a start.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Midas!” Africa’s voice burst from her throat far to enthusiastically considering the fairly calm note of the conversation’s body, when again his name was mentioned. A dove that had been otherwise concealed in the rippling streamers of palm foliage fluttered away in panic, startled from its mid-morning roost above their heads. “Goodness...” She followed through apologetically, her face hot and flushed with instant embarrassment. Perhaps her lingering infatuation with the black and white General was splashing her childish mind with absurdity, because she certainly had not intended to react quite that way. Awkwardly she rocked her hips, smiling coolly as though to smooth through the rest of that topic.

Softly and shallowly, she coughed, “I have never met Note...” Africa continued, inwardly shrugging that moment into oblivion, and mostly hoping Sohalia had not been quite astute enough to read between those very obvious lines. “Perhaps I might seek him first.” Africa grinned slightly, wondering for a second if she herself had noticed the quirk breeze through Sohalia’s tranquil demeanour. She could not have known the reasoning behind the tiny shift; nor was she entirely certain it had been there at all. The young horse refrained from reaching towards her snowy-white herd-sister to brush wispy whiskered lips against her for that reason, instead cocking her face thoughtfully before continuing.

You have helped me enormously already.” She insisted, chuckling tenderly, childishly, and watching Sohalia with untiring appreciation. “Perhaps when we chat again I will have many new things to share with you.” Africa truly had very little to offer the kindly mare now, but given that she had been so forthcoming and knowledgeable in this instance, the dapple grey presumed such would be an appropriate return in the future. “Thank you again Sohalia, I am so glad we are friends.” Another assumption was made, though she chose the word sincerely and offered it with warmth and compassion- always overly expressive, and thoroughly honest by nature.

[riven: I have to wind up the thread sorry because Africa is going to be a Basin prisoner xD I hope you don’t mind.]