the Rift

The beginning of the End [Evangeline] {moved}

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

R I C O C H E T - - raise your GUN and it's over

Long nights and cold days the boy and his dog had spent wandering the backsides of nameless countries. Madness fed the heedless travel of the dun, stirring his hooves into such a frenzy they chipped away until he could barely stand on bleeding soles. The dog fared no better, pads cracking and claws shrinking to stubs as all manner of terrain was eaten by the distance they put between Isilme and themselves. The collie, barely older than a pup at the time, and still, had briefly considered abandoning the pale maniac who's pelt tasted of dirt and smelled of gunpowder. Some inner sense of loyalty kept the dog steadfast however, teaching it not to abandon, but to endure.

When all the angry and the bitter had spun from the colt in sweat, blood and explosives, he turned instead to an aimless walk of shame, burning with fever and delirium. He often muttered into the night and hung under the shade of trees in the day, suddenly seeming afoul of sunlight. The dog at first did little more than whine and whimper, accustomed to being the child that was provided for. Guns soon learned that his voice went unheard by the lost boy and each rise of the moon showed the slimming of their bodies and the withering of their minds. Ricochet seemed not to mind, but the dog growled and barked and bit at the shadows that encased them. Splintered pads bled over dirt and rock as the collie chased game, learning with every failure and growing with every success. At first he hoarded his catches, resenting the dun boy that chased his tail every dawn, but with starvation quelled and loyalty churning in his full gut, Guns began to drag his catches back to the child. Ricochet refused whenever he noticed, often laughing a cruel, maddening laugh at the dog. Feathered tail would waver and tuck, confusion lowering the amber gaze of the collie.

He turned this gaze outward, watching the deer and the passing hoofstock. They always bent to eat the grass and ran from the wolves that howled and nipped from the shrubs. Guns could not understand then why Ricochet refused to eat the grass he trod into mush every day - if he didn't need to catch it, why was he wasting it?

That night of realization the dog laid down beside the panting horse and began to lick the insanity from him. There was a sickness within Ricochet that manifested within the heart and from there it settled in the mind and devoured the body. Guns could not revisit the past, could not change the events that had brought them here and could not return what Ricochet had lost, but he could remind the buttermilk to fight for what remained of their future. So it was that with dog curled around him, fuzzy body providing warmth in a nest of snow, Ricochet began to mend.

Anger had moved to shame. Shame now moved to acceptance. A newfound quiet filled Ricochet, one he had not known since the nights when he would lay with Misery, the nights before Gunslinger came from the beach and would pick him up only to throw him back down. Teal eyes blinked back at the world that had seemed forged in a haze and now stung with such clarity he could hardly bare it. Though the body still ached, worn by his abuse and open wounds still scarring from the dragonfire, Ricochet and Guns rose to a dawn and began to travel once more. They wandered now with an easy pace and nearly playful hearts.

As the seasons wore on they came to Helovia, just as spring gave bloom to its last flowers. Guns wondered if the dun knew he had begun to loop back to his previous home. If he did, he never mentioned it, though there was a stiffening in his gait and a distance in his eyes that suggested the boy knew what lay further east. The collie feigned ignorance, keeping his nose close to the violet thistles they waltzed over, intent on finding prey that this lush region boasted of. Ricochet hung back, head dunking into the stream to drink his fill and roughly swirl the water. Its cool embrace was like a balm over the white scars that littered his face. Though the flesh had since healed, it often throbbed and burned as if the dragon returned nightly to burn him anew.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali
Rather than wander off across Helovia on my own I decided to stay close to my mother. After the horrible things I had seen at the Heart I thought that staying close to her for a little while might be a good idea. I followed behind her as she walked toward Thistle Meadow, a place I had been with her countless times. Above us Tallis flew, scouting the ground below. He trilled and chirped a dragon song that helped to lift my spirits as well as my mother's. I could see it in the way she held herself when she was happy and when she wasn't. She always seemed happiest when father was around or when Tallis was singing to her.

Soon mother stopped walking and began to graze, Tallis swooped down from the air and landed on her back where he curled up and began to nap. I stayed close to my mother and nibbled at some of the grass, which I found didn't taste good. Boredness made me drift from my mother's side. I glanced back at her to find her and Tallis watching me. She went back to grazing but Tallis continued to watch me as I ventured off on my own.

There was a creek that ran through the meadow. I remembered it because I had played in it a few times before with Cyrus. When I reached it I began to follow it through the meadow. I never lifted my head to watch where I was going. I was too enraptured with watching myself moving in the water's reflection. Something made me stop, my heart began to beat a little faster. There was a keen sense of something being wrong. I could feel in the center of my being that there was something dangerous close.

My head flew up and I found myself looking at another horse. He was like my mother, not having a horn. I don't find the hornless scary at all, but the scarring on his face and the aura coming off of him was what made me scared of him. I don't know how long I stood there staring at him before I turned and raced back to where I left my mother and Tallis. If the stallion gave chase I really don't know. The only thing I could feel was the rush of blood and the pounding of my heart in my ears. As I reached my mother I hid, peeking around her leg to see if he followed.

Evangeline lifted her head when she heard the thundering of tiny hooves and watched as her daughter raced back toward her. Tallis pushed himself off of the mare's back and took flight to search from the air for what had caused the foal such a fright. The only thing he noticed was another horse, but he didn't think the being was potentially dangerous.

While he searched for danger Evangeline took time to comfort her daughter, gently nuzzling her and murmuring to her that she was okay. She tried to get out of her what had been so frightening, but the foal had clammed up and wouldn't utter a sound.

Hidden Account
Blu

A face appeared in the lines that his touch cast into the water's edge. Unperturbed, but cautious, Ricochet's pale head lifted from the ripples. Water droplets ran in cascades off bent whiskers for a moment as teal eyes stared dimly at the child across from him. The stream exploded with the drizzle off his face. The girl drew into herself, terrorized by some manner of demon that she found.

She fled.

Like a fawn darting through the trees the filly bounded back through the meadow. Ricochet felt hollowed. Curiously he bent his nose back towards the water, but this time he glanced at his haggard reflection. A grimace of sorts parted his lips as he thought he might run away from himself, if only he could.

For a time the dunskin stood, dark muzzle still dripping on occasion. Weakly the stallion dropped his head and pressed shut his eyes. The world was a dark place, but it seemed all too bright today.

As he began to retreat back into that internal world of his, a flicker of orange caught his attention. Such a rarity was the shape, much less the hue, that the wandering stud gave himself pause. Could it be? His voice asked the cracks of his mind.
Silence.

Another beat of wings and rustle of trees. The shape passed again, brilliant and glittering. Dragon.
He knew that type of animal anywhere. His pulse quickened, fear gripping his nose with claws so hot his nostrils flared in their sudden struggle to breathe. The white scars began to pulse against his tattered muzzle. His head flung high, eyes wild with pale rims and bright gleams. It comes again! Ricochet screamed.

Knees shot to his chest as the muscled body rose defiant against the sky. Like a writhing snake he tossed his head from side to side, lips frothing and teeth clicking. In the distance a dog's cry rallied the clouds. It shot through the din of the boy's mind like the starting bell of a race. He hung a moment longer as hooves gripped soil and shoved him into thunderous motion. A copper bullet, Ricochet shot across the land, heels snapping at shadows and hooves striking at light.

Through the streaming banner of black that carried proudly behind him, a monochrome blur arrived. So low and long, Guns hugged the ground like a living shade, nose wrinkled against the wind of their speed. He knew not what drove the dunskin but he had not seen such vitality since the day of the fight and he relished the energy and excitement. Resisting the urge to bark only barely, the pare of them shot through the brush, heading the way the filly had come through only moments before.

The foliage cleared. The orange dragon loomed. Hooves and paws landed in a field of glittering dust. Teeth flashed and tails waved.

Guns lunged at the kneeling mare and coiled foal. No more than a feint, more bark than bite, the pup reeled back the moment he realized his target. Ricochet paused even sooner, forelegs stiffening into poles that jammed him into a hard stop. His head flung tall, legs buckling and spine arching as he stumbled backwards. The gunpowder around him drifted like dust motes, slowly falling to the dirt around them, tumbling past leaves like a slow, silver rain.

"You" he cried, his tone choking. Disbelief wrote itself plainly on his face, but what his eyes could scarcely believe his nose confirmed. His chest hammered like a caged rabbit and his lungs all but lost their air. With only a whisper on his lips Ricochet breathed her name.

"Evangeline-"

Evangeline Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Thundering hooves made Evangeline lift her head and look in the direction the sound was coming from. Aylin stayed glued to her side, shaking more now that she, too, heard the other horse coming. A cry from overhead told her that Tallis was close by and soon the dragon landed upon her back. His scaly lips were peeled back and he bared his teeth at the dog that had lunged at his bonded. Eva felt more comfort in knowing that her dragon sat on her back, ready and willing to defend her.

"You! Evangeline-"

The mare finally looked at the stallion and could only stare. Despite the scars she knew exactly who he was. "Ricochet.." How long had it been since she'd last seen him? It had been on the night he'd come to her after the shadows had taken his father. After that he seemed to disappear from her Woodlands altogether. She'd hardly even heard word of him. But now here he was, scarred but alive, standing before her and her daughter. Her unicorn daughter. She remembered how much he hated them and so she shifted her weight to better block her.

"It's been a long time, Rico." She murmured. Too long, honestly. She had missed him, but had come to accept the fact that he was just another one of those that had come into her life only to disappear and abandon her. Perhaps if he had stuck around she would have ended up loving him as more than just a good friend, but he hadn't.

"I'm glad you made it out." She started to reach her muzzle out to touch him then stopped. He was probably angry with her and hurt that she would have a unicorn child. She sighed closed her eyes. "I was worried about you."

autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower

Hidden Account
Blu

Thankfully the dragon did not overreact to the poor decisions made by stallion and dog. The situation could have easily been made violent when it was only a fog that needed to be cleared.

Thought events unraveled quickly the Incendiary felt time nearly halt. The world swayed under him while recognition flickered like a desperate moth in the light of his eyes. First, that it was Evangeline, sweet Evangeline that stood before him. Second, that the orange dragon was her bonded, though thankfully well controlled. Third, that the strange child cowered at her side. And finally, fourth, that she moved to protect it.

That single shift of her body was the same as a finger sliding over the trigger of a revolver. Hot lead slugged his chest while smoke curled around the gun barrel, hissing quietly.
The filly is hers.

Ricochet reeled. Limbs staggered and haunches buckled. The dog whined and pulled back, abruptly anxious by the mood that stained the air. Ricochet only just avoided slipping to the ground, his rump held by the crutch of a tree trunk. A groggy head hung low between widespread legs. It helped to steady the rhythm of his body, in which velocity had spiked.

"Is this?" he managed to groan out after a lapse of silence, teal eyes fluttering at Evangeline's feet, and unfortunately, the additional pair of the girls'. The fact of her horn escaped him now. The knowledge of Evangeline being claimed by another was more than enough to bear, especially after reuniting with her in such a manner, but to eventually understand that she feared for the child's life in his company would break him. His mind shielded him, making him blind to this for now, blind to the horn which would surely drive the bullet deeper into his flesh.

He would not kill her.

Nevermind that Ricochet had not the strength or purpose left to slaughter right now, if ever. Nevermind that Evangeline had due cause to fear him and little reason to trust him, he could not duly blame her for that, but it would hurt all the same.

Aylin took in her a part of Evangeline. In Ricochet's eyes, she was always safe, always beautiful.
Gunslinger had loved his sweet flower, and though she'd born a winged child, Gunslinger had loved that too.
It seemed Ricochet would follow his father's footsteps in the battlefield and matters of the heart.

Licking from the collie brought a gradual calm over the stallion. Evangeline spoke still, so casual, but her voice tight, body tense. Ricochet did not notice, still too overwhelmed by her presence and her child as a whole rather than in detail. He heard her though, even if he did not truly hear her.

"Made it out?" he asked, quizzically tilting his head. 'Brows knitted, confused in various ways by this meeting and that particular statement. Finding no better reason than she was surprised he'd made it out of the fight with Smoke, a bitter and difficult subject for him still, Ricochet was at once wounded in his pride. Teeth set together with a sound, ears tilting back in uncertainty and agony. His tones, once buttery soft and weak had firmed as the boy became defensive. I am wounded still under these scars, so not bother them so.

"Of course I made it out," he snapped, tail flicking in annoyance. Smoke was a fine mare, she'd certainly proved her worth and her skill. Still, she was but a mare, and a healer at that! If not for her dragon the meadow would have been turned. "Did you think I would be so easily felled by such a pathetic opponent?" He snorted, his arrogance rising if only to hide his fear and his weakness. Isn't that what it had always been fore? "It took some time I'll admit... dragon fire is not so easy..." he trailed off, having few excuses that would be impressive or accurate. Shaking the mane from his eyes he stood taller, shooting the conversation back at her if only to avoid such heavy staring at his failures.

"What are you even doing here? Won't the Woodlands be needing their healer?"

Unregistered
It made her heart ache to see Ricochet in the state that he was in. She wished for simpler times. She had never been innocent to the evils and hardships of the world and had seen Rico for what he was from the very beginning, violent and racist, but she had still cared deeply for him. He was one of her first friends and she cherished him, even now after he had run after Aylin. She wished they could go back to the forest in Isilme where they had spent most of their time talking and just enjoying one another's company, but it would never happen again.

The mare watched as it finally dawned on Rico that the filly he had chased was her daughter and she averted her gaze so she would not have to watch as he nearly hit the ground. Was it heartbreak that made him react like that or just the mere surprise that she had a family? Was it the fact that her family held unicorns within its ranks? As his head dropped she could feel the tickle of Aylin's short mane as the filly peeked under her belly at the stallion.

"Yes." She answered Rico's question, though she doubted he really needed her answer. "This is my daughter, Aylin." She remained quiet to the fact that she had not one, but two foals. It was already hard enough for him, it seemed, to accept that she had a filly. Knowing that she had a colt as well could possibly send him over the deep end and the last thing she wanted was a battle to ensue.

Evangeline sighed as Ricochet snapped at her, reminding her once again of his temper and reinforcing that she couldn't completely trust him right then. She shook her head as Ricochet spoke of a pathetic opponent and she knew instinctively that he was speaking of Smoke. "You're the same as always, Ricochet." She finally said. "You take the simplicity of someone worrying for you and twist it into something it's not. I never said that you were weak. If anything you're a sore loser." And sexist to boot, but she would let it go for now.

Again, he made Eva shake her head. "I was not the healer when the shades attacked the Woodlands. Ruske was." It was still hard to talk about Ruske without tears stinging her eyes. He had been another close friend to her and he was gone. "Had you stuck around you would have known that I was the leader of the Woodlands." They wouldn't need her now, anyway. Half of the Woodlands hadn't made it out. Fence, Ruske, Andrei, Autumn, were just a few of the ones she could name off the top of her head. Roanne was one she still wasn't sure about. She'd hoped he had made it but she hadn't seen him since arriving in Helovia.

"They don't need me, anyway." She finally spoke her thoughts. "The ones that made it out have already settled down into new herds with healers." Her duty was done. She no longer wanted to be responsible for anyone other than herself and her children. Caring for so many was tiring and only made her ache in the end when she couldn't protect them all.

Hidden Account
Blu

Her affirmation was like hot lead whirling through his chest. He glanced away for a moment. How his eyes burned.

Quickly he distracted himself with the rest of their conversation which was quickly dipping to the heated side. Evangeline had never been a cool rain to douse his fires, which was half of his affection for her. She stood her ground no matter the opponent or the cause. Perhaps the mare provided a gentile front, but behind all her soft spoken words and smiles she was just as ready to ignite.

In-between her explanations she found time to chide and accuse. This only set Ricochet further on edge, his spine bristling with cold dread at all he began to realize. "Leader?" Ricochet managed to blurt out at last, eyes wide with surprise and a smidge of respect soon after. The time properly needed to appraise the fine mare however was quickly eaten by his ears flicking to the statement she'd said prior. "The shades attacked?" He'd known of the shade problem before leaving. He'd even begun to help solve it, as regrettable an experience as that was.

"Everyone...left?" His voice was hollowed, his body numb and weak. This was not what the young stallion had been expecting to hear. On the tail of so much other bad news, Ricochet could all but stand. Beside him Guns whined nervously, uncertain of all that had transpired but keen enough to sense the tension and the twisting mass of confusion inside the dunskin.

For a while Ricochet was quiet, staring only at the ground with a vacant expression. He could barely grasp the idea that the magnificent homeland of Isilme was in ruin. That the herds had scattered and that... they had all failed.

How could they have failed?

A rash of anger overwhelmed the stallion. The dirt at his hooves began to turn gray and black and shiny in the forest light. At his side Guns growled uneasily, tail tucking and hackles rising.

"THE TOME GUARDIAN BETRAYED US!" Ricochet thundered suddenly, forehooves thrashing repeatedly at his gunpowder soil. "He said he could send them back, the shades. He lied. HE LIED EVANGELINE!" Miniscule explosions began to pop around the stallions hooves. His head flung up suddenly, eyes wide with white and teeth champing up foam. From his nose clouds of explosive particles whirred around in streams as his chest heaved with the rage burning in his gut.

Unregistered
"Yes." Evangeline said when Ricochet repeated that the shades had attacked. "They attacted everyone in every herd." They had lost so many in just a few hours. She didn't think the images would ever stop haunting her. There was one thing she could be thankful for, though. Her children had not had to live through something so horrible. They could live their childhood in peace in a land that was not at war with the undead.

She just nodded as Ricochet's questions continued. Her eyes went to the ground and she watched as the dirt at the hooves began to change color. The smell of gunpowder was bitter and acrid, especially after the explosions he set off in his tirade about the guardian betraying them. She didn't blame the guardian, if anything she felt for him. He'd tried to help and he'd been one of the first that the shades and attacked and destroyed that evening.

"Don't blame the guardian." Evangeline said sharply as Ricochet said that the old phantom had lied. "He tried to help us, e failed to bring him what he needed in time to help." They had no one to blame but themselves. Rico had no one to blame but himself. Maybe if he had stayed and helped instead of running away like a child because he lost a fight they would have finished in time. "The guardian is gone just like so many others that lived and fought to protect Isilme." Even she had fought to protect. As the shield of the PPG she had deflected many of the shade's attacks onto herself so that others would be protected. Her flanks and neck still bore scars of their attacks on her.

Tallis climbed farther up onto his bonded's neck and hissed at the stallion and his dog. A plume of smoke came from his mouth as he threatened to burn the pair should they continue to pose a threat to his bonded and her child. Aylin still clung tight to her mother's side, hiding from the violent stallion.

Hidden Account
Blu

The outward rage became a cold, internal thing as Ricochet became more and more aware of Evangeline's casual tones and protectiveness of the old freak. With disgust the boy looked upon the mare, her physical beauty lost to him now, now that she was soiled by a unicorn and its spawn. How he ever thought he could have loved this delicate flower of the Woodlands he'd never remember.

The Gunpowder would remain turned, but the ignition died as Ricochet's teeth set together sharply. Teal eyes narrowed in a hostile manner toward the Pure. "You are weak," he hissed at her, head shaking like a snake prepared to strike. Coldly the dunskin backed away, ears sunken into his mane, dog crawling uncertainly though tensely beside him.

"I will go back to what is rightfully ours. I will go back to our homes and renew the glory of Isilme. You and all the other cowards can rot here for all I care." With a dismissive snort the stallion turned and hammered down the way he'd come on hard, harsh hooves.