Circe Posts: 101
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
M.E.
any moment soon you'll be so unhappy
because you will finally know that
you were born to make me fight
--------------
The wind was biting; the air was chilly. The night would fall soon, heavy and dark, smoky and silent, melancholy in its shawl of stars. Circe watched her breath fog from her nose, seemingly transfixed by the simple motions made by the smoke of her breathing. Her eyes were frozen; her shoulders twitched; tremors ran the length of her barrel. For once that magnificent crown of a horn was lowered, bowed in respect or fear, she did not know. She was vacant now; the shadowmere was busy gathering her wits about her, letting the wrath of battle settle into her breast. There. Here it was; an icy pressure settling itself upon her heart. It was agonizing in its own way, titillating, making her flesh crawl and her skin unusually sensitive to the chill of the autumn evening.

Was Circe afraid? Mayhaps she was in a way, though surely it was not the fear of cowards with tails tucked between their legs in shame. This was an awareness, and anticipation of things. Her restlessness was evident, and though the sorceress was unsure of the source of her agitation, the agitation remained regardless. She must move herself; she must shift her weight; she must shake the idleness of her limbs from herself and hone her body, her mind, her soul for the purpose the Grey set upon her. Circe was an Executioner, and it was high time for an execution. She must sharpen her blade.

As was customary for the relatively new recruit, Circe didn’t know much about the stallion. This lack of familiarity with her shieldmates was maddening; how could she trust her back to these fools if they proved themselves to be literal fools? Yet, as she considered it, Circe supposed it was right that she knew nothing of her fake foe. It simulated the unknown of a battle nicely; it shouldn’t be expected of the shadowmere to anticipate the life and loves of a strange opponent. She should expect the unexpected—it would save her life.

He’s a legend, you know, whispered a betraying corner of Circe’s mind; she shivered, haunted by the idea. He was certainly notorious for his prowess, though the knowledge didn’t make Circe shirk away from her destination; she was resolute in her decision. It only invigorated her, and caused her sensitive skin to crawl ever so much more at the thought. She snorted heavily, stamping once, twice. She couldn’t wait any longer; the suspense was killing her. When one was ready for battle, impatience was a common feature; she must strike while her irons were hot. Taking a deep breath of the brittle, Orangemoon air, she bellowed out her challenge, and her voice did echo against the vaults and chambers of the Foot Hills valleys:

“ARCHIBALD!”

----

[ W/C: 480
800 Word Limit
Teaching Spar
3 attack posts with 1 closing defense
No companions or Magic
Surroundings: In a valley between two hills; terrain much like the foothills. Sundown, almost night time, rapidly fading light. No breeze, very chilly air, somewhat damp underfoot. ]

speaking

sxc.hu

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Archibald

The Dauntless stood at the peak of the hill to the mare's right, the wind hiding his scent perfectly. He looked down on his executioner with curiosity, but his face stayed stoic and statuesque. Something about the way she moved made him think she was hesitant, and Loretta, while lying beside him, asked if she was a coward. Archibald, knowing and trusting the new chieftess’ judgment, told her otherwise--maybe she was merely a thinker. Archibald was a thinker, sure, but when it came to matters of battle and killing he was a quick thinker. He never had time to second guess himself, and with his experience he never needed to. Archibald was a warlord to the very core of his being.

When the female stopped she finally seemed to make her decision, and upon the wind she called for him. The yell was loud and powerful, commanding his attention. The brute’s golden eyes narrowed some then and his ears tipped backwards, but a small smirk touched his blackened lips. Loretta jumped up at the mention of his name and looked up to him expectantly, tail wagging furiously as it curled over her young but muscled back. Turning his attention to the bitch he nodded firmly and she took off at a lope down the hill. Archibald followed behind her carefully, steps easy and balanced and slow to conserve his energy. The sun hid behind the horizon now and the coldness of the Orangemoon nights was clenching the ground. The grassy knoll beneath his behemoth frame was already starting to glisten with dew, each blade of grass graced with a jewel of the night. Archibald’s feathered hooves moved skillfully down the hillside until he finally stopped around ten yards to the rear-right of the mare. “I am here, executioner, why do you call so shrilly?”

Setting his weight carefully the Dauntless squared himself, balance essential. He could guess the meaning behind her call—she wanted to spar with him. By the looks of her demeanor, this was not an official challenge, although the behemoth could be mistaken. Where they stood now was close to where his last challenge had taken place. He remembered the rain as it muddied the ground, and took note to pay attention to the dew that began to build up as the earth settled in to rest. Loretta stood on Archibald’s left, her amber eyes focused hard on Circe. She was processing limitations, strengths, everything she could see from first glances. Everything she took note on she sent to her bondmate’s mind, and she knew he was pleased. She is smaller than you. They all are. She will be faster. You are stronger. Snorting in response to her words, Archibald spoke once more, “If it is a battle you want, tell me your stakes.” The general needed to know if he would be turning her to stone, making the earth tremble, or letting Loretta hone her skills today.

[WC: 492 | PC: 0/3 | BBs: Dance and Swift]
Archibald
Image Credits

Nothing to note on teaching as of yet, go ahead and have Circe make the first move <3

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Deceased
M.E.
--------------

And all at once, the air seemed to grow ever more frozen as the great baritone swept over Circe from behind.

*“I am here, executioner, why do you call so shrilly?”*

“So I know that you heard me,” she heard herself answering; turning her body so that she stood facing the darkly shrouded stallion with her head raised high in demeanor, the shadowmere let her gaze rise to his own golden stare. Her tail lashed once, twice; it was a testament to her agitated state, but it wasn’t directed towards the Dauntless. It was her own restlessness; she felt it was futile to in her own battle-rage. “I have no wager, General. I have a duty to the Grey as a weapon,” she stated bluntly, her husky voice teasing out of her throat and finding a way to float upon the brittle air, “and my edge has been dulled over idleness. This is unacceptable; I ask that you help me sharpen it, in a match between comrades?” Her eyes flicked down to the red malamute that hugged the general’s heels; her eyes were not unkind or scathing, though they examined the bitch with a critical eye, an instinctual gaging of the dog’s potential as an enemy—or an ally.

“I will stow my magic; I ask you do the same for yours,” she explained, as the Dauntless inquired for the boundaries of her supposed contest, “and I ask that your companion keep her own counsel for this bout between us. I wish to meet only you in this fight.” As the words left her mouth, the tiniest of gusts wracked the shadowmere’s side and an unearthly chill crawled and crept the length of her spine, willing the bitter air to catch in her lungs for the briefest span of moments. Circe’s ears pinned; what was wrong with her? It wasn’t like her to be so affected by the coming night; never had the very breath of wind inspired such a sensuous response in her. This is good, said some corner of her mind; to fight while under strange influences is undoubtedly a hazard for her line of work. It is indeed good, she mused, agreeing with such a traitorous thought, but it’s still damn annoying.

Her eye caught the subtle movement of the heavy draft as he squared his stance; her head lowered on instinct, horn parallel to the dampened earth beneath her. This was her default; both offensive and defensive, her horn serving as both the stiletto of an assassin and the spire of a shield in combat. She stood thus, her breathing even, her muscles loosened; her eyes never left Archibald, and when it became clear that he waited on the shadowmere to execute the first move, Circe hesitated no longer. She sidestepped slowly, casually, to her right, taking only a few steps in a seemingly thoughtless shift of weight. Her sight didn’t leave the red malamute until the bitch was surely out of the way of their spar; the sorceress’s eyes then traveled to Archibald’s golden countenance, any trace of emotion driven from her visage. “Here,” was her hoarse, murmured warning to the Dauntless.

She broke out into a loose canter; her head never rose from its lowered position. She held it there, her muscles unstrained, a relaxed, natural position for her horn; she kept her muscles limber, yet poised in anticipation, sure that the Dauntless would shift his position—Circe would need to react accordingly. Though her gait was an easy loping grace, be sure that her feet indeed flew, and she sped upon Archibald at a considerable rate. As it was, the point of Circe’s horn aimed for the left juncture between his neck and his shoulder, aligning her sight just above the point of his left shoulder blade; if her attack followed through, it was sure be a dangerous, debilitating wound to have indeed.

Yet Circe was sure that the Dauntless would't allow her blow to land.

----

[ W/C: 648
1/3 PC
Summary: Aims with her horn on Archibald's left side, attempting to stab him in the juncture of his neck and shoulder.]

speaking

sxc.hu

Archibald
Circe, the dark executioner that stood before him, was a mare through and through. Her voice had raised high above the world like Mandrake’s did, clawing the wind and sky for his attention. Archibald was used to being called by mares—his mother, now Circe, and others—and he was keen on ignoring any that were not Mandrake, until now. Circe’s words touched him like velvet, her voice alluring and different than anything he had heard before. Her tail lashed and Archibald wondered if her words truly matched up with her intent. Was she really wishing to fight him on the basis of skill training alone? Or did she wish to do something else? A slight morsel of pride growled deep within the large beast’s belly, but his mind continued to swerve on thoughts. Something about her did not seem like she was secretly waiting to challenge his position, no, she was not angry, she was…oh.

She was in heat.

Loretta growled then, and lowered her body to strike, but Archibald dismissed her. Circe did not wish to use magic or companions, and Archibald was going to be fair. This was his herd mate, and he would not let her be hurt beyond repair. Archibald knew the damage he and Loretta could do together. He knew it because of Ailith, her body failing in battle at the end of the invasion because of their prowess. “Go hunt.” Archibald said simply, below his breath. Loretta, an abiding creature only to him, lowered her ears in distaste but trotted the opposite way nonetheless. As he dismissed his companion and quelled the belly-fire that was his magic stirring inside of him, the general’s gaze never left the dark, lion-tailed unicorn.

Archibald watched her carefully prepare herself, just as he had done. She was smaller and would probably be faster, but the way she moved did not look like she was looking for a chase today. Unlike his battle with Roland, Archibald predicted Circe would use her horn close up—she, after all, was a Grey warrior and not a coward. The Dauntless proved correct, and Circe moved gallantly towards him with her gnarled horn carefully pointed to rip into his dark flesh. Grunting, Archibald pinned his ears and tucked his chin in one fluid motion before he started his own forward momentum. He wished to meet Circe somewhere in the middle, crashing his body into her and using her charge for his benefit. Maybe she would bounce off of him like a fly. Archibald’s golden eyes narrowed in on her horn as she aimed it for his left shoulder, and he picked his canter up into a controlled gallop. Pointing his nose outwards, Archibald curled his body some, moving his shoulder enough to save it from the brunt of her attack. He felt her sword scrape down the point of his shoulder and he struck out then with his teeth. Snapping towards the left side of her upper-neck he hoped to rip skin anywhere on her neck near her head, her ears or poll. As Archibald struck out with his jaws, he stopped as quickly as he could and curled his hips and rounded his back for balance. Using his back legs be braced himself, his front hooves removing themselves from the ground momentarily as he pivoted his body to the left and pushed towards Circe, hoping to use his larger body mass to bear down into her and throw her off balance.

In most battles, the pure thrill of defeating another or anger usually fueled his trained body, but this time it was different. His nostrils flared and his breathing was heavy, already, but not because he was tired. The night air hung around him and kept his temperature cool, but inside he felt warm. He had never fought a mare in heat before, and already it was proving to be somewhat distracting. Her body gave off a scent so heavy and pleasant; Archibald yearned to be close to her. The sensation was new to him—it was carnal and dangerous. As the night pulled around them and dampened the grass below them, Archibald could only think of her. The dark knight was highly aware of the cut on his shoulder and it stung as air penetrated it. Pin drops of blood threatened to breach the surface, and within seconds the small line was crimson in color. The darkness of his pelt hid it well, the darkness that continued to frown on the dueling pair aiding it well, and Archibald pressed the pain into the back of his head, ignoring the tug of irritation it caused with his movements. The Dauntless let out a small grunt, the gears in his mind working overtime to put together his next defense and strike.

[WC: 799 | PC: 1/3 | BBs: Dance and Swift]
Archibald
Image Credits

First, because this is your first friendly spar, I want to give you a list of things I personally try to avoid, or that I have learned to avoid:

-Leg attacks

-Anything that will cause more than bruising or minor cuts

-Kicks to face/jaw

-Hit-and-run (because that is just fucking annoying, and will really tire your character out more than people actually write it to.)

I say this because, at least for leg and mouth injuries, there is more of a risk for death. A horse’s purpose is to survive, and in a real battle they would use those attacks, but because our characters are more intelligent and aware than normal horses they can understand not to do those things.

Also, you describe the night air briefly, and I like the way you tie it into her reacting to her own natural instinct, but I think you could go a little more in depth with the way the surroundings are. When Circe canters, how does it feel under her hooves? Is there dew now that it is night? Does that change her footing? Can she see plainly, or is she trying to be hyper-aware because she cannot depict with 100% accuracy what is under foot? All of those things can be tied in, and not only will it give you points on the rubric (which is a plus), but it also makes you a more rounded writer and gives your post more substance.

Use Circe’s small but compact (from what I drew from her profile) to her advantage. Yes, she will be faster than Archibald naturally, but she is also thick. She can use that to move quicker and still land powerful blows. Archi has a little bit of speed on him because he has battle buffs, and I am using swift because Circe is naturally more lithe, but he is still not as fast as you can write Circe.

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Deceased
M.E.
--------------
As bitter and frozen as the thin air dared to be, Circe had never felt her joints and the edges of her neck so filled with intense inner heat before this moment. It was a stifling sensation that made her senses over-sharp; the sorceress was just as aware of the biting cold as she was of her own heat. Every tremor made by her hooves meeting ground wracked her limbs, sending vibrations all across her field of vision; as her horn pierced the hide of the Dauntless, she felt the impact within the base of her skull, shuddering the faint satisfaction that gleamed in her mind. All at once, however, those tiny impressions were dulled in comparison to the explosion of sensation that blossomed from the stallion’s bite; as his teeth closed somewhere just behind the apex of her poll, a starburst erupted behind Circe’s eyes, and she couldn’t help the grunt that accompanied the spike of pain. For it was pain in its simplest definition; there was no denying it. What alarmed the shadowmere was her reaction. Pain in battle was her drive to end it. It fueled her rage and her desire to destroy her adversary. With pain came a rambunctious bloodlust.

But Circe had never received pleasure from the stimulant.

Her thoughts were stifled as Archibald’s mass flew at her, his shoulder knocking her above her left elbow. The shadowmere’s first instinct was to dig her hooves into the ground beneath her to keep from being thrown by the Dauntless’s weight; with a jolt, Circe felt the dirt beneath her melt, seeping into her frogs and causing Circe to slide, briefly losing her footing. Snorting, Circe broke contact with Archibald, letting the force of his blow carry her away, her steps careful and calculated so that she would not lose balance; fighting his bulk was a useless endeavor, so she would flow with it. As Circe moved, her tail whipped hard to her right; she used the momentum to pivot her body, changing her position so that she stood perpendicular to Archibald’s left side.

Circe could not actually see the Dauntless at this point; though the sky still shone purple with the last vestiges of light, the hills proved to cloak the two brawlers in extensive shadows. There was a moon tonight, yet it chose to hide behind a cloud, abandoning them to a spar of night. The black of Archibald’s coat proved to blend with the darkness; the only visible parts of him were the broad blaze of his face and the feathers of his feet. Despite these, Circe didn’t rely on sight to detect him; his thick, heady scent, tinged with the metallic tang of his blood, proved to be her marker. She breathed deeply, willing to calm her body and keep the control of her battle-fury—but the Dauntless’s scent proved to do otherwise. A fire was erupting within her, a frightening flame that set the shadowmere ablaze. Breathing only served to fan the cinders.

With a grunt, Circe bolted for the Dauntless once again, closing the short distance between them. This time she minded the tender ground beneath her; while her legs pushed off with a spark of power, she made sure that she did not slip on the dewy grasses or that she hadn’t use too much energy in her approach. On the last leg of her short gallop, Circe rounded her back and straightened her forelegs, effectively ceasing her movement forward. She reared slightly, her forelegs only inches from the ground, straining her neck toward the Dauntless’s left wither, maw open and teeth flashing in the night. She intended to land a bite there; whether she was successful or not, Circe then landed her forehooves and fiercely lashed her tail to the right again. Her tail could potentially whip the Dauntless anywhere between his hocks and his dock, but that wasn’t her intention. The shadowmere merely wished to pivot her body once more so that, at the end of her maneuver, she would be parallel with him, her right side pressing and pushing against his left.

Somewhere within her wild fury, there was a method in her actions. Deeper still was the realization of the cause of her passion; Circe cursed herself for completely overlooking such an important part of her cycle. Circe knew proper battles didn’t fluxuate on a mare’s heat-cycle, so she would be able to justify her desire for a spar under that pretense—but Circe wasn’t pretentious. She now understood the ulterior motive behind her decision to spar with Archibald; in the depths of her mind a voice whispered, and Circe identified it as belonging to Ophelia: Tall, dark and handsome; he certainly fits the description for a mare's fantasy.

The bite marks behind Circe’s ears throbbed powerfully, and it was painful.

_________

[W/C: 800

PC: 2/3

Summary: Is bitten just behind her poll and knocked backwards by Archibald’s shove; backs up to avoid being thrown off balance, and pivots her body so that she’s facing his left side. Charges and attempts to bite his left wither. Pivots again and potentially lashes him anywhere between his left hock and his dock with her tail.]

speaking

sxc.hu

Archibald
Even as the sting of the cut on his shoulder stung and throbbed the violent creature’s mind was filled with only to carnal desire of taking this mare for his own. It was never something he had dealt with before and it was already proving to be difficult to fight against. His teeth caught their target and he heard her grunt of pain, though it sounded different than he had ever heard before—and it caused a different reaction inside of him. The Dauntless was used to battle—it was in his blood, it kept him moving, it was the very core of his being. From this, a slight sadistic satisfaction to causing pain in others and given the stallion a bloodthirsty nature and reputation. However, as his attack landed on Circe and she grunted, something inside of him shuddered and pulsed and came to life like never before.

This needed to end soon. She needed to be his. He would not stop until he felt all of her underneath him, hear her roar under the pleasure he would bring her. They would become one. He would know her.

But first he needed to fight her.

Archibald pushed the mare back successfully and his front hooves slammed on the earth again and he braced his weight, balancing himself on thick legs as the lighter mare danced away. She came in quickly, and Archibald readied himself for impact, shoulder throbbing still. His golden eyes are careful to watch every twitch of her muscle, every curve of her body as she changed position and throws herself to attack his left shoulder area again. Lowering his center of gravity, the Dauntless tightens his muscles and waits for the mare to crash into him. He is a tower, a mighty fortress, and her smaller body would not throw his around like a ragdoll. He was not going to move on her command. Grunting, Archibald quickly threw his weight to his left, hopefully meeting Circe as a great tsunami to thwart her attack. However, Archibald was throwing his body into her bite and there was nothing he could do to stop her teeth from grabbing him. However, his movements left her teeth to scrape over his skin to leave only a trail of a bruise just below his wither. The feeling was uncomfortable, but nothing to be too worried about.

Just as quickly as the shadow and thrown her mass at him she pivoted to stand juxtaposed, and Archibald took his move. He felt her tail slap and it made his body quiver. She yearned for him—or so he thought. He knew mares swished their tails into the faces of thirsty stallions, and Archibald took this as an invitation. Tucking his butt down the great general lifted into a rear, turning his body to rest his weight on her back, hoping she would not move and escape from his hold. He did not position behind her, instead he merely tried to press his weight down on her, buckle her knees and show her what he wanted—what he thought she wanted.

For a stallion so practiced and mastered in the ways of battle this was something entirely new to him. His vision, usually clouded by crimson and the desire to turn away victorious, was turned by this creature of the night into a blurred mess of instinct—something Mandrake had tried so hard, and had been mostly successful, to train out of him. Even when he fought mares in the past had he never wanted to claim them in the ways of procreation—or what it took to procreate—not even once! When he battled with Leyra he wanted to snap her horn off, to shame her and imprint his power into the minds of all that witnessed it. When he fought briefly against Smoke he only wanted to prove himself as a worthy warrior, to throw her arrogance in the dust, for she was an idiotic leader that left his skill in the dark. When he fought Ailith, oh so recently, he knew only that he wanted his home back and she stood in his way. This was so different, and it left the Dauntless hot and bothered.

The night, the coolness that draped itself over them, the fingers tried to wrap themselves around them did nothing to squelch the flames that raged inside of him. He was a beast, his mind was gone. If they stopped battle right now and she ran into the darkness he would not be able to hold and intelligent conversation with anyone. The dew underneath his feet and the chirping of nocturnal creatures was not prevalent. Archibald could think of nothing except Circe, this battle, and ending it to take her as his first and only mare.

[WC: 800 | PC: 2/3 | BBs: Dance and Swift]
Archibald
Image Credits

Great post! It flowed really well, it was easy to read and I felt connected to Circe through out it. However, I have some things I think will aid you:

There is some emotion in your post, such as "Pain in battle was her drive to end it. It fueled her rage and her desire to destroy her adversary. With pain came a rambunctious bloodlust." I do think, though, that you could add more emotion into it. In Tamme's fight method she urges to write how your character felt about their attacks and their injuries, or the reasoning behind it. Though, because Circe hasn't had on site fight experience, you will not get points on the rubric for mentioning fights in Circe's past, I believe you can and still should add it, for I think it helps connect to your character. Archibald has never sparred with his brothers on-site, but in their histories they have, and I use it to put reason behind some of Archi's attacks because he has either seen it work, or he will stray from an attack because he has seen it fail. What has Circe seen? She is an executioner in the Grey, so she must have /some/ battle experience from her past--especially if she was a vagabond/rogue for some time. Give her some memories to work with, to add to her tactics! With memories come emotion, also! What does this fight trigger to trigger the memory and what does the memory trigger as an emotional response?

Also, you are very aware of Archibald's bulk. I love that you have Circe flowing with his strength, for she knows it is unwise to fight against it. I do believe, though, that you can be more descriptive of how her shorter stance will aid her. I also think breed/species characteristics could come more into play in your posts--does Circe had really good balance because of her long, lion tail? Does she turn quicker because she is lighter? How would Circe think that would give her an upper-hand against Archi?

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Deceased
M.E.
--------------
Thus, the shadowmere tasted the Dauntless, and she was met with a wall.

Just as the tang of his essence settled on her tongue, Circe felt the wind gush out of her body as she crashed against a rock-hard barricade of sinew and muscle; the shock of the impact forced Circe’s front hooves to briefly leave the ground, jolted as she was with the force of their blow. There was no foothold, no leeway in Archibald’s defenses—he was utterly indomitable. Rather than be discouraged by her failure to shake him, Circe felt a morbid satisfaction with the sheer toughness of his physique, excited by the dramatic contrast between their bodies. This was only intensified by the wayward sting she felt in her tail…so she had inadvertently struck him, had she? It was a directionless satisfaction, thoughtless amidst the fire of battle; now that he was so close, so near, Circe made to raise her head and neck upwards, positioned to plant even more harsh, fang-laced kisses upon his neck and back, meaning to wring every drop of pain out of him in their moments of close proximity.

Except Archibald beat her to the punch—and reared high above her head.

It was such an unexpected maneuver that Circe was legitimately stunned for a handful of heartbeats. What…sort of trick was this? It was such a sloppy, thoughtless move; as sturdy as his legs were, Circe was free to strike at his tender belly and the joints of his hock, potentially sending him careening to the ground, a fallen giant. It was not until he began to descend—the tips of his hooves scraping her spine briefly—that she understood his intention.

Oh.

OOH.

No.

She was not done with this contest…for it was a contest, no matter how thinly veiled their passions were. Circe was far too caught into her bloodlust to abandon their fight to the savageries of nature.

No matter how tempting.

The balance of the Dauntless’s weight above her was an extremely sensual experience, even though she gave an alarmed, screaming grunt from underneath him. He was swiftly descending; her back contorted, stretching as a feline’s might, her hooves slipping in the soft ground as she made to bolt from underneath him, body angled to the right. She was mostly successful; Circe had almost made it out of his grasp, but then the bulk of his chest fell onto her dock, forcing her loins to strain and her tail to lash weirdly in her endeavor to escape him. Even when properly away from his advances, Circe continued to bolt away for some lengths, her tail lashing haphazardly behind her in her fit of excitement. Finally, the shadowmere slowed her escape, coming to a stop and turning herself so that she now faced Archibald’s right side.

She was breathing much too heavily; her neck was arched with too much exaggeration. Circe could feel her straining poll where his bite had landed previously—she knew from bites of years past that this deep pain would follow her for a time, bruising her muscle, causing discomfort and trouble sleeping. No matter. She would find a way to cope with it.

“Archibald,” Circe spoke suddenly, surprised at her words; they didn’t sound like her. This voice was a warbled groan, a husky whisper, an admonishment and promise molded into his name. Her eyes were lidded coals, and her head lowered into that default of offense and defense. Her shoulders quivered slightly; the memory of his weight above her, thrumming the thin air, a tangible shadow that caused her nerves to spark and ignite suggestively, haunted her mind. She witnessed the animal look in those golden eyes of his….the pure unadulterated desire that sparked them. Circe briefly wondered how it would feel to have his basest wishes granted… No. They needed to finish this first. Then release.

“Show me something, Archibald,” she spoke again, her voice lower, deeper, a trail of smoky velvet in the night. It was not a taunt; it was an affirmation of her promise. Fight me first, General, and we will talk afterwards. The moon decided to peer passed the edge of a cloud at that moment, briefly illuminating their battlefield; the silver highlight of the Dauntless, the definition of his mass and his physical prowess, proved to tip Circe over the edge. Her tail was thrown upwards, backwards; it curled in the cradle of her back, and this was her guarantee.

The shadowmere charged once more, a faster, feverish gallop than before, and made to pierce her horn into the broad, muscled side of Archibald’s neck.

Show me something, Archibald.

----

[W/C: 785

P/C: 3/3

Summary: Angles to the right and slips out from underneath him; strains her neck, back, and loin muscles doing so. Retreats a ways, until she turns and faces his right side. Charges in a maneuver similar to her first, only now facing the right side of his neck. ]

speaking

sxc.hu

Archibald
Down, down, down he came. Archibald’s weight pressed down on Circe and his body quivered, his back legs shifting and bending to keep his body balanced. He felt like he had won—she was going to be his, as she stood motionless underneath his descending bulk. Within seconds, though, the shadowed mare seemed to understand and defiantly made her retreat. Her scream from beneath his behemoth form forced a slightly annoyed grunt from his throat and a huff from his nostrils. He was not successful, not victorious, and he would not let her retreat like a prudent coward. The ashen girl slipped from his grip awkwardly, but quickly, and his front hooves fell heavy on the earth. Had there been magic allowed in his battle, he would have released it throughout the ground and thrown her balance into the wind. All the Dauntless could do, though, was follow her.

And follow her he did. With pinned ears and a stretched out nose, Archibald sent his body into overdrive to follow the fleeting mare. As his hooves thundered across the dark terrain the cut along his shoulder stung, the pain pulling into his muscle. Archibald’s teeth clamped together and he grinded them briefly, his golden eyes attentive to her as much as possible. The night was dark and his vision of her was promising futile—she matched the night in more ways than one. She was alluring, dangerous and tantalizing; a cool breath from the lick of sun’s fire. Her mere presence called to him, though his golden eyes lost flashes of her as the night pulled in around them. Despite this, the Dauntless did notice her body turning and stopping. Following suit, Archibald dropped his hips and stopped—successful, though ungallant. Tucking his chin in, Archibald pressed his back hooves into the sodden earth , balance focused backwards as he waited for Circe to crash into him. Her horn glinted venomously from the moonlight and the Dauntless paid mind to defend against the sword again, but as she closed the gap between them Archibald lurched forward.

Archibald curved his face towards her, guarding the burned right side of his neck from the already bloodied tip of her horn. Opening his jaws, Archibald aimed for a bite on her face—hopefully he would snap the thin flesh on her cheek. His forward momentum continued, hoping to crash into her and push her around. Archibald’s behemoth shoulders pressed forward, his charge hoping to push his ride shoulder into her chest and knock the wind from her lungs. Archibald was still going to win, despite the growing heat inside of his body as his entirety yearned for her.

Archibald had never noticed her before. She did not stand out in the crowd as a sex symbol like Phaedra, though the bird-catcher marked pegasus lifted herself to it, and she had never been a sad and beautiful disaster much as he saw Ophelia. Circe was just a warrior to him, a soldier in his ranks to listen to his commands and carry out the tasks others paid for. In this moment she was utterly something different—she called to him, awaking a demon that had never been stirred before. The demon was proving to be a dangerous, domineering sort. The demon knew what it wanted, and it was not going to stop until it was accomplished. Archibald did not fight the demon too hard—no, for he /was/ the demon—but he would not take Circe against her will. If at the end of their battle Circe tucked her tail and ran, Archibald would let her. His body, however, would sting deeply and yearn for the completion it naturally sought.

Archibald, truly Mandrake’s greatest achievement, may be slipping. After all, even the best training fails at times.

[WC: 633 | PC: 3/3 | BBs: Dance and Swift]
Archibald
Image Credits

teaching coming

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Deceased
M.E.
--------------
Circe was surely sailing through the night, carrying herself on the thinnest of air, the crispness of the darkness in no shape to stop the bulk of the shadowmere flying to meet the bulk of the Dauntless. Her passion, her battle-rage, her desire caused her legs to fly; there was no slowing her charge into the Dauntless, for the ground was too soft, the air was too weak, and she needed him much too severely.

And so, when the Dauntless shifted and prepared for her attack, intending to meet her and lock horns in response to her request, a spark of panic erupted in the pit of her breast. She could not stop herself without risking the snap of her shins; the ground would not help her make an agile escape from Archibald’s clutches. No, there was no escape from him, from the teeth that flashed and the bulk that rammed toward her; there was nothing to do but meet it, and the spark of panic morphed into something else entirely. Strange as it was, Circe felt it mold into a blossom of excitement, an anticipation of what would surely come. There would be pain.

Oh yes. Pain. Circe was not a masochist; when she met pain, she hated it and avoided it. But she wanted Archibald’s strength; she wanted him to attack her, show her why his name was the Dauntless and not the Mindless Rutting Bull. She wanted a fight—no matter how agitated, how antsy and raunchy she may have been in her thickest skin, the shadowmere truly wanted to fight him, test herself and him, do some damage and learn how to do more in the making. Sharpen her blade. Show me something. Well, he damn well showed her, did he not?

And he would bring pain.

His teeth grasped the skin of her cheek, and a tear was pulled from her eye; the sorceress felt the skin of her face pull and strain, and while his teeth had left in the moments following, she could feel her cheek broken and open to the cool air, stung by the frost that reached for her. Had there been time, Circe might have cried out from the pain of it—but then Archibald rammed into her once more, this time much more forceful, much more passionate than before. His chest slammed into her with the force of a great typhoon; Circe could feel the blow reverberate all through her body, a sharp and dull agony rolled all into one, echoing through every joint, radiating from the sunburst that was her chest. Oh, there will be a bruise, a huge, angry bruise on the entire right side of her chest—Circe halfway expected her shoulder to be dislocated. She was certainly vocal about it—her voice gasping out of her throat, not quite full enough to be a shout and packed with her shock, her suffering, and her satisfaction with is attack. Show me something.

However, Circe could not stop moving forward. Though the Dauntless’s attack was great, she had been moving too fast to stop her forward movement with such a sudden obstacle; as such, Circe shoved passed Archibald, her shoulder not dislocated after all but still sending jolts of dull, creeping pain with every fall of her hoof. More tears fell from her right eye, travelling to the place on her cheek that throbbed the loudest with hurt. She continued to travel past the Dauntless, her gait slowing ever so gradually, her feet finding a way to navigate through the dew-laden ground without risk of falling to her defeat. And then, suddenly, she was stopped. Standing stock still, her neck arched with rigid exaggeration, the shadowmere only panted into the dark night, her breath coming out in a silken, silvery fog.

Her tail thrown upwards and backwards, curled into the curve of her back.

Circe’s mind was gone now. She had gotten from Archibald what she so desperately wanted—he had certainly shown her something worthwhile. She was satisfied with their fight. And now she craved a different type of satisfaction from him.

The last conscious thought the shadowmere had been that all the children were supposed to have been in bed by now. And that, if some adult or warrior happened upon them at this late, intimate hour—well, then.

They would understand the urgency of these important matters.

----

[ W/C: 721

P/C: 3/3, 1/1

Summary: Is moving too fast to avoid Archibald's bite and shove, and receives both. Shoves past him, slows down and stops. Clearly wants the D. ]

speaking

sxc.hu

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official

Circe | Archibald
- - - - -
By my verdict Archibald is the winner. Archibald receives +1 for the win, +1 for teaching, and earns the battle buff AIM

Circe -- post 1 (attack only)

[Realism]
+ 1| AttacK: Aiming horn for between Archibald's neck/shoulder.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion
+ 1| Flow
+ 1| Easy Read

Archibald -- post 1

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: Curling body to evade the brunt of the horn but still being scraped.
+ 1| Attack: Biting for Circe's poll.
+ 1| Trying to push Circe over/down.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion
+ 1| Flow
+ 1| Easy Read

Circe -- post 2

[Realism]
+ 1| Injury: Taking Archibald's bite to her poll.
- 1| Moderate Powerplay: Circe stops and faces Archie, standing perpendicular to him; to me, it seems you're assuming that Archibald has stopped and is standing still now, too. I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but it seems a little too declarative in the way it was written.
+ 1| Attack: Biting for Archie's left wither.
+ 1| AttacK: Snapping her tail to the right to possibly whip it into Archie's hocks.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion
0| Flow - "Circe could not actually see the Dauntless at this point; though the sky..." Right here, it seems as though Circe just sort of... spaces out in the middle of the battle, which really breaks up the flow of this post.
+ 1| Easy Read

Archibald -- post 2

[Realism]
+ 1| Attack: Throwing himself into Circe at her attack.
+ 1| Injury: Taking Circe's bite to his neck.
+ 1| Defense: Laying himself across Circe.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion
+ 1| Flow
+ 1| Easy Read

Circe -- post 3

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: Scurrying out from underneath Archibald.
- 1| Moderate Powerplay: "... coming to a stop and turning herself so that she now faced Archibald's right side." When you run away in a fight, you drop the assumption of what your opponent might have done in the mean time. A better way to have put this, for example, would have been "turning herself so that she now faced wehre Archibald's right side would be lest he moved," or soemthing similar.
+ 1| AttacK: Charging at Archibald with her horn, aiming to pierce his neck.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion
+ 1| Flow - I'm still awarding the point, but I thought I should make a note of this. It isn't in every character's nature to stand and listen to another speak while in the middle of a battle, so just keep that in mind!
+ 1| Easy Read

Archibald -- post 3

[Realism]
- 1| Defense: Curling neck away from Circe's horn. I don't see how curling away could evade the horn completely, as I imagine it would at least skim his withers or at the very least go through his mane.
+ 1| Attack: Biting for Circe's face.
+ 1| Attack: Attempting to knock into Circe.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion
+ 1| Flow
+ 1| Easy Read

Circe -- post 4

[Realism]
+ 1| Injury: Taking bite to the cheek.
+ 1| Injury: Slammed into by Archibald.

Archibald

[Bonus]
+ 1| Health
+ 2| Surroundings - You mentioned your surroundings often and were aware of how they affected you.
+ 2| Breed - You were well aware of Archibald's larger stature and knew how to use it to your advantage, but also knew how it hindered him.

[Injuries]
Nothing of note.

[Creativity]
Nothing of note.

Comments: As an experienced fighter on Helovia, you did great as always! You have a solid base for the mechanics of fighting, and know how to use Archibald's size in his favor. At this time, all I can tell you is to keep up the good work! (Also, you give some great feedback to new fighters, and that's always great to see!)

Circe

[Bonus]
+ 2| Surroundings - You were always very much aware of your surroundings and how they affected you.
+ 2| Breed: You were constantly aware of the pro's and con's of Circe's breed and stature.

[Injuries]
Nothing of note.

[Creativity]
+ 1| "... why his name was the Dauntless and not the Mindless Rutting Bull."

Comments: As a more inexperienced fighter on Helovia, you did very well! You have a clear understanding of the mechanics of horses and fighting. You did very well at portraying lots of emotion in your posts, and that's something that even our very experienced fighters sometimes have difficulty achieving. Just be careful with some of your wording so that it doesn't come off as powerplaying. I have no doubts that you'll become a very good fighter in spars to come, and I look forward to reading them. Keep up the good work!

TOTAL
Circe - 69
Archibald - 71

Image Credit: dirkjankraan @ Flickr