the Rift

Some Nights [Acceptance-Kri/Open]

Xira Posts: 67
Up For Adoption atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 hh :: 7 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kye :: Red-Footed Falcon :: Read Adoptable

Photo © Tony McLean
</style>
       A light whistle travels through the air, cutting the wind as a pair of majestic figures soar over the throat of the dragon. Kye, with her beady, yellow rimmed black eyes, banks to draw closer to her one true friend in this world, and with a wild flap of her thick feathered wings, Xira directs the pair downwards. Her eyes, a deep blue green, flash with mischief, and the whistle that spun from between her teeth is lost to the wind that ruffles her thick, curly coat and brings out the green tints mixed in with the chestnut. Behind her a chestnut and cream colored tail waves in the wind and tangles amongst itself- the landing will be smooth, but she'll appear a mess to any who see her.

For this night, dark and clear as it is, is not silent. The wind rushes by tumultuously, bringing with it waves of uncomfortable heat and stifling humidity. Xira's sharp whistles are returned by Kye, who struggles to be as swift and graceful as usual in the summer night density. Occasionally the mare casts a nervous glance to the young falcon that has been her companion for what now seems an eternity. The pair exchange whistles back and forth, together singing a song Xira recalls from her childhood- the call of her mother, telling her to return home. The call the young adventurer had always conveniently not heard.

Now, interrupted by hot Tallsun wind, the pair searches for the very opposite of their free and uninhibited lifestyle- if only for the experience, if only for fun. Xira lets her hooves touch to the ground when the descent suddenly ceases, and Kye banks upwards with a mastered swiftness that only an expert could execute so deftly. Xira lets her thick, wide hooves carry her to the bank of the lake as Kye perches upon her rump, clutching the base of her tail within her talons. A short and thick mane waves in the night breeze as Xira dips her head to sip from the familiar waters, and she makes the move that defines her place for quite some time. From her back, Kye lets out a soft whistle, and the pair wait in silence as it travels through the night rush to one lucky pair of ears.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!
Kri the Resolute

I hear the falcon before anything else. The whistle of a bird, very familiar to those who take to the skies, rings in my ears and wakes me from my slight slumber. Sleep was not kind to me on most days, as the stress of leading this herd with little trained warriors was a feeling I was comfortable living with. Since the arrival of that ghostly ice king Mauja, my nerves have been radiating on high. This sudden appearance in the night, therefore, was seen as an immediate threat to security, one that I had to answer.

Standing not far from the great lake, down in level, I can hear the landing of hooves. My ears immediately perk up, eyes shoot open. Walking quietly toward the shoreline, I can see the figure outlined with by the moon shining uncontested above. The faint shimmer of light falling on feathers eases my nerves - a pegasus. This was not a foe sent by the World's Edge, as I knew it to be the home of only unicorns. My demeanor slackens to a much more relaxed posture as I work my way over to this stranger.

The feminine curves of the body alert me to the fact that this is a mare; I am pleased in this knowledge. I would not have to deal with a blockheaded stallion in the deep hours of the night. Standing some few paces from this mare now, who drinks so casually from our lake, I give her a nod, my blonde hair dancing slightly about my forehead in the gesture. "Welcome to the Dragon's Throat, sister," I say, familiarizing myself with this mare immediately.

"Any particular reason for your late night visit?"
""

venomxbaby, Dracoart-Stock, SalsolaStock

Jaydan Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Her voice carries easily across the desert sky ways. Its a unique call and it instantly intrigues him from the monotony of the dull, dim stars. There is so much endlessness in this place. So much, darkness, even now in the high reign of the sun.

He tilts on steady wings and falls into a graceful spiral, straightening out with a sudden burst of wind and a flick of his feathered tail; it trails behind him like a kite. Beyond the turn of a crimson cliff the valley of the oasis startles into view like a completely new world. Grasses and foliage actually splatter the barren wasteland and his heart aches for home for the hundredth time. He fights the urge to bellow mournfully, but cannot stop the ache that tears his chest.
Luin his mind sings.

He shakes his head and it clears mildly. Her name clings like stubborn clouds on the edge of the moon however, but he is use to flying in this fog now. Since his foolish attempt on his life and the accidental injury of another herd mate, he's thrown himself wholly into working for this herd. He feels he owes a certain debt, surely, but he hopes to keep himself preoccupied.

When the land exposes herself like a mare in heat, so too does the pair of strangers appear. Jaydan takes them in just as they descend, his own frame shooting after them like a comet's trail. He touches down in a flurry of feathers and dust just as Kri finishes speaking. A flick of his tail and his feathers close like a fan. Joints bend and his wings fold in a lazy, ruffled manner against his backside. His mane is disheveled and dirt clings like beads of ticks to his normally glossy hide. He is rather unkept, unpreened or groomed, perhaps even mildly odorous with an aroma of old sweat and depression. Despite this he holds his head high and keeps his blue eyes bright as they acknowledge the stranger, and then the queen.

He is not one prone to talking, he doesn't much speak the language here but in small fractions, but he offers himself as support to Kri - although likely she'd snarl at such obvious implications of her weakness. He would not leave a fellow herdmate alone, one can never underestimate strangers. More importantly though, he's curious, and he needs this distraction desperately. With a low noise of welcome he settles in to watching the green roan and her bird, features remaining impassive and stoic.

Photo © Tony McLean
</style>
       The pair stands stonily with their wings folded as the silence is broken and company makes its way towards them. First arrives a pegasus mare of clear rank and stature, speaking with smooth feminine tones and walking with a kind gait. Unimpressed, Xira lifts her chin higher, as if she could possibly lift herself above the height of the clearly stated leader of the herdlands. Upon her shoulder, Kye digs in with sharp talons and presses her wings firmly against her side- the pair are alike in more ways than one, and their temperament towards strangers matches flawlessly. As if sporting a perpetual glare, Kye greets everyone with an air of loath while Xira simultaneously exudes disdain. They're a rather rude and lofty pair, but they do well together- just not around others.

And then the stallion arrives with brilliant sapphire wings and a walk of beauty. Whether intentional or not, he seems to strut in the moonlight- or perhaps it is the instant attraction that presents him to her in this way. Kye senses the recklessness flowing through her charges' blood, and snaps at the base of her mane impatiently. If anyone is more bitter than the mare, it is her falcon companion. Could she speak she would have commanded Xira to focus, but their bond has not been set so firmly as to allow for mind speech. Still, Xira understands the message, and returns it with a snap of her own. Her teeth bare and lips curl as she blows hot air in the face of the screeching, protesting falcon.

My choices are my own, she scolds the falcon petulantly before turning back to the pair before her. The dull looking mare, whose brown coat pales in comparison to Xira's own mix of green and bay curls, questions as if she carries authority, but Xira manages to lift her chin higher still, and flares out her wingtips impolitely.

"A bit of respite from the Sun God's bitter torment is always welcome; I assumed you and your company," she added with a nod to Jaydan, "wouldn't mind my presence here." She blinked then and froze her glare, as if to suggest that it was an honor to have her visit their lands. "Perhaps I could even be persuaded to stay," she commented loftily, her dark eyes seeming solid black in the night's shadowy reflections. Kye chittered with displeasure and nibbled her ear, but Xira merely flicked it with annoyance and paid her falcon companion no mind. As smart as it would have been to heed Kye's advice, Xira was one to trust instinct more than thought.

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
Kri the Resolute

I turn my head to see the arrival of Jaydan, the blue gelding who had come to the Throat not long after the invasion. Onni seemed particularly fond of him, though it was apparent their relationship was one strictly of friendship. My daughter, while not aversed to stallions as I, had obviously not taken to them as normal mares would. For that, I was immensely proud of my only daughter. Maybe she would one day come to understand the concepts of lust and love, but I hoped her innocence would hold out a little longer, if only for my sake.

Out of respect for Onni, I offer Jaydan a friendly smile, even if we were none too familiar with one another. I note with odd curiosity that the gelding seems unusually unkempt, even from the sparing moments we have spent together. There is a definite feeling of dishevelment, and a small hint of musky odor that reaches my perceptions. "Jaydan," I say calmly, before turning my attention back toward this unruly bitch and her bird.

I can feel more than see her eyes laying hungrily on Jaydan's form, and am instantly unamused. Even before she falters into disrespectful, even petulant acts, my teeth are already set on edge. Were it not for the need of some mature composure, I might have snapped her face off at the arrogant lift of her head in my presence, or at least attempted to. Instead, my blue eyes glaze over frostily, and I smile in response to her not-so-charming actions with a look of dangerous violence. It was odd to see a smile usually brought out from pleasure contorted as such an ugly expression.

The words she finally graces me with are even worse, making my ears flicker back to my skull, where they stay for a few moments before tilting back in her direction. "I wouldn't hold your breath," my voice says curtly, in response to her mention of persuasion. "As a fellow pegasus, you are welcome to stay as long as you wish, but the Throat would likely be better off without an unfavorable mare such as yourself." Dismissively, I turn my body toward the water, taking a smooth drink of the cool liquid of the lake. I even cock a hoof in relaxation.

No need to let her wind me up.
""

Unregistered

Whether its the lack of testosterone and its organs coursing constantly through his body, or if he would be as absorbed in Luin and her past with him regardless, Jaydan is and has always been, dense to anyone's persuasions. He can certainly appreciate the form of others, usually with an eye as to whether they'd make a fine warrior or not. He may glance highly at their colors, if they fancy him. Otherwise, the pull for romance, or perhaps something less romantic, is like a void in the gelding. At Xira's heavy gaze he only smiles warmly, his features turning rather boyish and innocent, though he's far from it.

Then the tension comes.

Xira is immediately off-putting as she lifts her head in a quiet but clear display of dominance. Jaydan's eyes widen with surprise, his lips pulling back into a soft, disapproving frown. Near him he can sense Kri harden to the movement as well, though he doesn't spare a glance at her, much as he might like. It seems much too childish to want to peep at two sparring mares, for sparring they surely are. Perhaps not as flashy as stallions that like to rip teeth at each other's knees, but Jaydan knows a fight when he sees one.

Mares, he rolls his eyes but barely, a low sigh whistling past his nose.

It is such strange customs here... where he came from, disrespecting a leader, even one unknown to you, was unheard of. Yet most where he came from were born and raised close by if not with each other. Here though, strangers come and go like the seasons, bringing new and old, same and different with them all the time. He shifts uncomfortably.

Her words aren't much better and Jaydan finds himself drifting away from them, his gaze ensnared by the falcon sitting abreast her. It is a wonderfully marked animal, and like any bird of prey he's seen, it holds an arrogance to it. He wonders if the mare has become too falcon-like in the company - it might explain her demeanor. Does she eat meat too, Jaydan wonders dreamily.

The elves in his homeland had falcons, but never the horses. The two did not much mix either, the falcons being with the hunter elves and he with the warriors. Sometimes they might pair up, but he knew little of them, only enough to respect them.

Kri acts little better in response and to that Jaydan is equally mollified. Her hard nature shows itself so eagerly and not for the first time the jay wonders if leadership truly suits her. She seems more like a gruff general, lacking the tact needed for these more delicate situations. But again, another place, another time, kings and queens here do not follow the same virtues and customs he grew up with.

As she moves away, entirely flippant and dismissive, Jaydan holds back another sigh. He turns his attention to Xira then, proffering another smile. He strides forward easily, for once his bad memories drowned out by the good as he recalls the customs of his homeland. Nearing Xira he stops short and extends both forelegs and dips his nose in a deep and courtly bow. His necklace shifts down and tinkles softly against his horn as he does. It is the height of manners, but he supposes he can be as fancy as that, with all the manners already thrown out thus far.

"Heil, stranger. I am Jaydan of Salka, of Helovia, son of Swall. Welcome to the Dragon's Throat." He speaks flawlessly in the high speech which is native to the lands here, but not for him and his home. All except the last word, Dragon's Throat, which his tongue is still getting a grip on. He knows bits of the high speech, but a greeting such as that he has perfected with due practice. "Heat puts us all on fire," he begins, hoping to excuse the manners of both mares with that expression, and smiling again to soften the implications of it. "Rest and drink to soothe, when suns passed, then talk of flock staying."

He hopes Kri will warm up to her over time. He does like the mare, her strength of spirit is something they could use, just not the disregard for authority, but perhaps that will be curbed with time. Surely Kri will not be so willing to turn a blind eye to an impudent filly? Xira seems young of body still, though Jaydan muses, old enough to know better. "Come, ease, tell of you and, bird?" He murmurs, leaning his muzzle out to her like a proffered hand ready to take hers and lead her through this kingdom. His breath blows out warm, though kind and gentle in greeting, before be begins to stride towards the stream where Kri drinks. He is parched himself and dips down to partake of the water.

He is always parched these days.

Photo © Tony McLean
</style>
       The dichotomy between the pair of pegasi standing before her was fascinating. The rude mare and the kindly stalli- oh, no, gelding. Xira curled up her lips in an amused fashion upon the realization that this lovely Jaydan fellow was not entirely whole. How curious it was- what bitch had he allowed to take from him his balls? She'd met many a bigoted and foolish stallion in her life, with testosterone pumping through them more quickly than their blood to their brain, and she couldn't imagine a single one of them giving up their precious jewels.

Still, it was refreshing to see in the two of them such blatant deviations from stereotypes. Had the famed leader of the throat simply been another dismissive mare, she may have turned away from the herd entirely. As much as it hurt her to even think she respected anyone, Kri's harsh and bitter words successfully folded her wings and lowered her nose. As defiant as Xira was, as self-driven and unguided as she prided herself on being, she wasn't one to spit in the face of the strong. And Kri was clearly quite strong.

It was this Jaydan fellow who irked her now, with his overly friendly nature and his kind gestures. She found him almost alacritous; considered his sweet tones almost nauseating. It was clear she simply just couldn't get along with any that she was supposed to. Which meant she would be forced to lower her head even further towards the herd territory leader if she was to gain acceptance in the slightest.

Reluctant that she was forced to ask for forgiveness, but glad at least that it was not directed towards a weak soul, she bent her head, purposefully facing it away from Jaydan's, and whinnied softly. "My apologies, sister," she spoke, recycling Kri's term. As much as she loathed the idea of finding herself related to the dull mare before her, it was better, she supposed, than finding her hooves smashed against her skull. And, well, Kri struck her as the type to have a short temper.

Jaydan dismissed their personalities as results of the sun and Kye snapped at him with a soft, clicking whistle. As much as her falcon despised the sun, Xira knew that she disliked excuses just as much. At least the huntress had calmed and loosened her grip upon Xira after the display of respect- the chestnut felt that at last she could let go of the tense feeling within her muscles.

With one last nod to the leader she took a few cautious steps to the lake, humbled for the first time in a very long one. This herd life was going to be... interesting. She wasn't sure she liked it. Still, Jaydan's invitation was welcome, and the waters of the lake were tempting. She cast the gelding one brief, bemused look before nickering softly and taking another drink in the heavy night, letting her dark eyes close as shield themselves from the visions of the stars and the apparitions of pegasi around her. It was strange how so little had felt real lately.

At the mention of herself, Kye fidgeted upon Xira's back, and unceremoniously yanked the edge of her mane. The chestnut nickered angrily, letting water fly from her mouth at the sudden shock, and then obeyed her charge and turned to face Jaydan and the leader. "I am Xira, and this is Kye. We seek acceptance into this herd." She spoke with slight reluctance and an annoyed flick of her tail. The damn bird couldn't let her have a moment of peace, could she?

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
Kri the Resolute

Jaydan seemed to disapprove of my hostile actions, but I was no about to apologize for them. This mare, standing in my territory, had the nerve to treat me as though I was nothing more than a mere filly. While my temper may make me appear as such, at least I had no resorted to violence. I could have rolled my eyes to the night sky above at the gelding’s look of exasperation at our interaction, but I held back. That would likely only make this situation worse. Instead, I kept my place by the edge of the lake, taking in gulps of water with a dismissive air.

It might be flippant, but it was working a hell of a lot better than Jaydan’s kind words.

I have to resist the urge to smirk as I notice from my peripheral vision that the mare does not seem to care for Jaydan’s automatic acceptance of her presence with welcoming and kind words. While he meant well, I had to say that the gelding was failing at quelling the beast that I knew this mare held in her heart. It was quite clear, by the way she shirked my obvious authority, that she had problems with respect. I could understand her hesitations - respect should be earned, but I did not take this concept to an idiotic level that would leave me being rude toward a leader. There was an order that needed to be followed, and I, as a soldier, would follow that more than my own personal pride.

After all, had she not lowered her head toward me after I gave her a swift kick in the ass? Sometimes, you had to be forceful. Lucky for Xira, being forceful is exactly what I am good at doing. She does not bother to grace Jaydan with a response to his questions before ambling in my direction, which I think is quite rude. Still, had I expected anything more from this mare? My eyes fall forward, avoiding giving her own face contact as she makes her way to the edge of the water, keeping with my calm, detached appearance as I wait for her response to Jaydan’s question.

I lift my head, water dribbling off my chin, listening to her as she begins to speak, seemingly goaded on by the bird upon her shoulders. I smile, though it is hardly a warm expression, but it is far from hostile. “Xira and Kye,” I echo, locking the names into my memory. I make a sidelong glance toward Jaydan before shifting my attention back toward the red and green tinted mare. “I hope you can throw your fire in the right direction in the future.” It is a slight warning that rolls from my tongue as I give her a strong look.

Welcome to the Dragon’s Throat, Xira,” I say, my voice rather unenthusiastic, but sincere. “My name is Kri.
""

Unregistered

To say that Jaydan is surprised by Xira's response is not proper explanation of the emotion that surges inside the blue jay's breast. Blue eyes widen in sure shock at the apology provided so swiftly, and the dismissive attitude cast towards him as Xira does bow her head in return, yet at the slurping queen. Wing feathers ruffle slightly as Jaydan's features falter, confusion and hurt pushing out the cordiality. It's as though a hand offered to the fallen girl was instead slapped away and mud tossed at his face for good measure. He snorts.

A sharp whistle of reprimand comes from the haughty bird and the mare strides coolly past him, completely ignoring his words and offer. Resisting the urge to grit his teeth, Jaydan glances at Kri still by the stream, all to aware of the smug filling her up.

This is a strange place indeed, when being rude wins favor over being kind. Sighing once more, lost as always around mares, Jaydan saunters grumpily to the lake, purposefully positioning himself away from Xira. As he dips his head to drink, he isn't sure that he likes her so much any more. When she's settled herself, Xira finally graces them with her and the falcon's namesake, but little else.

Although he hates himself for it, still fuming under his feathers at her blatant cold shoulder, Jaydan is still curious of her. She is wonderful, in an annoying way. "What is past?" he asks casually, his words coming after Kri's acceptance, water dribbling down his lower lip as it moves. He wants to know more of the falcon, his eyes drawn more often to the bird as it sits like a stone upon her withers. A sharp stone, Jaydan considers when he looks better at its beak and feet. Is she a hunter like the elves in Salka with their falcons? "Why bird?" he clarifies, although is upset he cannot remember the proper term for it aside from bird. He knows it to be much more than that.

Photo © Tony McLean
</style>
       The chestnut pegasus watched the two before her react in drastically different manners with a bemused expression playing across her features and a feeling of satisfaction churning within her breast. The lead mare spoke with wisdom to match her years, and Xira found herself glad that she was young and full of vitality. To be old... what an awful fate that would be. And yet now, while she was young, she had chosen to imprison herself. Was it really just to sate the thirst for knowledge and experience, or did she want something more than her life alone? Whatever she had intended, it was too late to turn back now- the flaxen mare before her had sealed her fate and welcome her to the throat. Xira had a sinking feeling that she would be there for a long time.

Kye whistled lowly, clearly somewhat disappointed, but Xira paid her no mind. She simply nodded politely to the lead, learning her place quickly, and spoke with a firm intent. "Thank you, Kri," she replied cooly, keeping her navy gaze on the ground, keeping her thoughts locked away. "My fire..." the chestnut mused softly, remembering the exact wording of Kri's comment. "My past is a lonely one- it's best to stay that way. Kye has been my companion for some time now. As for my fire, well..." Xira once more let her voice fade into silence. Her deep navy eyes rose to meet Kri's, but she avoided much contact with the garish jay beside her. He was no longer interesting to her; she'd lost respect for him, found his broken speech irritating, thought of him as a mere annoyance. Kye cooed in gentle agreement at the assessment, but then swiftly urged her bonded onward. "I was wondering if you had need of any informants."

Xira let the words, a continuation of the previous sentence, slip off of her lips like poison. They hung in the air, still and deadly, and with their airing she established herself instantly within the herd. She was not weak, not usual. The green chestnut roan was different in many ways, and for some reason she found herself determined to show it.