the Rift

[OPEN] I'd rather waltz than just walk

Myrddin Posts: 115
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: Old
Aud

I'd rather waltz than just stroll the fields,
I may be blind, but I'll keep my eyes peeled!
This day is young, and although I'm not...
bring it on world - what've you got?

The voice was rich, and resonant as this impromptu-tune filters onto the breeze. Pay attention now! For the creature whom is currently singing, is surely not who you would expect.

Waltzing, as he has indicated in his song, is Myrddin, the unwise. Myrddin the light of heart; Myrddin the simple. His beard bobs with each toss of his head, as his aged body prances with a renewed vigor. Although blind, his milky gaze now seems to glow with an unearthly light, allowing him to see...sort of.

The world is such a pretty thing!
And all of life, a dance!
I'll give you a diamond ring,
if you give me a chance!

A bright peel of laughter was emitted, as Myrddin tossed his horned-head with amusement. "Oh! That was a good one!" He mused to himself, continuing on.

With a wide stare, he lowered his nose to the flowers, seeming to investigate each and every one of them.

Flower, flower, what say you?
If I pick you up
(reaches down, and plucks a flower with his teeth)
What'll you do?

Suddenly, Myr's milky eyes widened with shock and horror. His mouth slackened, causing the flower to drop to the ground. "IT MEANS YOU'RE DEAD." He roared, completely horrified. "I'm....a murderer?" He whispered, looking around anxiously to see if anyone had seen, or overheard. Warily, he eyed the other flowers. "Tell no-one of this.....or else" He added menacingly, chomping his jaws at the daisy's, for good measure.

Image Credits

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

Was she brave for returning now, so soon after Midas had freed her spineless corpse from impending doom? Or was she a fool, all too aware that danger lurked along that rubble path which curled down the mountain’s granite face. Either way, the young dapple grey Pegasus circled the field once, twice and a third time to be absolutely certain that the black and white thug was not waiting to ambush her nervous landing. Africa descended when she was sure, this time some distance from the large crevice through which the pathway opened. Pale eyes watched the area surrounding for movement; any sign that she was not alone, and her black-rimmed ears flickered hyper vigilantly, straining to listen beyond the casual banter of a flock of birds down the range. Her fluttering, scenting nostrils lifted into the cold mountain breeze and she sucked deeply the air which was such a stark contrast to the much milder sort, which blew through her desert home.

Africa was alone, and she shrugged the apprehension from her coat, a rusty red cloud pluming above her before being swept away. She turned nervously to face the sheer cold wall which she had huddled against that frightful day, when her beloved feathers had become some treasure to be lusted over; to be torn from her wings savagely and with no remorse- or so she presumed had been his intention. The stallion had been the most awful sort, cruel and tormenting, and he had as a result become the object of her nightmares. His attack was still fresh, her previously untarnished heart bruised with dread. Each step taken there, as she moved from the battle site, was filled with undying anxiety; eroding her confidence.

Not eager to dwell where such horrid memories lay, Africa hastened down a small slope blanketed in supple green grass which seemed to thicken the further down she travelled. Few trees grew this high, only skeletal remains; even for one, whose haven was cool embrace of cobalt sky, the air was thin- she thought with an unusual sourness that the field lacked life, beauty like the lavish array of blooms and growth throughout her oasis. This place was far from anything she found familiar, and an empty sigh slipped through her parted lips.

Then, above the varied chord of bird-talk, a voice rang loud and cheerful and Africa’s attention snapped towards the direction from which it came. The young grey began curiously forward, attracted naturally to the care-free sound which continued with sudden laughter. She had expected no such thing from this wretched, morbid place, and was utterly taken aback.
Soon the silhouette of another materialized down the way, his form glowing white against the soft pea green grass, which by now was littered with tiny swaying yellow daisies. Intrigued she continued, smiling quietly as his obviously private song filled her eavesdropping, craning ears.

“Flower, flower, what say you?...” She giggled gently under her breath, eyes following as his large head dropped- and then she noticed the strange, branching stick protruding from his forehead. Her step faltered and each leg flexing with renewed concern. The stallion seemed so blasé, so pleasant, but Africa couldn’t help her insecurity. Wings ajar, ready to flee, the mare went no further- it was not close enough for her to notice the milky white of his eyes, or hear him whispering the same way she did, to the flowers at his feet. The cool breeze swept down the hill from her rear, a betrayal she was not so wise to have previously considered.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Myrddin Posts: 115
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: Old
Aud

[Sorry, didn't see anyone had replied! Hooray! I like writing doppelgänger Myr :3 ]

Too late! The daisy's must already have sent word! "Blast you!" He cursed them, hissing the words under his breath. "It was an accident! I...I...I didn't mean it!" Lowering his muzzle, he nosed the flowers, as it plumping them up, and assuring them that they were okay. Raising his gnarled horn, he narrowed his blind eyes as Africa approached. Although Myrddin was blind, the Goddess had gifted him with a certain type of vision; the ability to see the life force within all things. To the aged stallion, Africa appeared a hazy ball of light, bleeding nervous energy into the atmosphere. Ever so faintly, he could make out some of her markings, but none of her coloration. To him, she appeared in various shades of white and gray, set against a muted background.

With dramatic flare, the aged white stallion threw himself down on the ground, at Africa's feet. Mistress of the flowers, have mercy!" He pleaded; his voice rough but melodic - like some lounge singer who has inhaled far too much smoke in his life. "I only wanted to pick a few, so that I might carry their beauty with me....I didn't mean to hurt anyone!" Almost wailing now, and pitifully so, Myr crawled further towards the dappled mare. As he slunk, his milky-gaze landed upon a flower giving off a more vibrant pulse of life-force than most. Mouth agape, Myr inched himself closer, appearing completely mesmerized by a delicate looking white flower. "It's beautiful" He whispered, looking up at Africa with an expression of wonder and amazement. "How did you do it? How is there so much life, in such a little thing?" Gently, he prodded at the white petals with his graying muzzle, as his large moose-like ears flickered uncertainly, wondering if the flower might be able to speak as well.

Image Credits

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
Africa
The air was thin and cool, though Africa found small comfort in the warm glow of sunlight which peered curiously between streamy tufts of snow white clouds. Gentle cream eyes watched the stranger cautiously, curiously. She blew a breath quietly through pursed lips; the one she had been holding apprehensively as though it might help conceal her arrival from the stallion with a small tree growing from the centre of his snowy-white forehead. Tilting her face slightly she investigated him a little closer, shuffling forward with intermittently vigilant steps. She was determined not to suffer the same fate as with her last visit to this (ironically) god-forsaken place.

She had been spotted- his face lifted and turned towards where she dithered, locked in the folly of hesitation. She had crawled close enough by then to witness the narrowing of his gaze, and was certain that malice and lust for the shed of her blood was oozing from their gape. Of course he sought her demise; it was the same she firmly believed for all those with horns. It wasn’t racism though, it was reality based from a very shallow pool of experiences.

The wistful glance sideways and even the slightest variation of her attention, failed to foresee the stallion’s next move. Obviously she predicted a fleet-footed attack lunging at her vulnerable jugular, the blurring black and white aggressor of the past holding stark precedence in her sickened mind. It was not to be though apparently, and with a startled jerk of her disbelieving face Africa witnessed him throw himself down before her- at her feet no less. She craned her skull sideways; long neck arched away from the sprawled mass of white body, and looked down at him with astonishment through one, wary eye.

“Mistress of the flowers, have mercy!” He seemed to beg, and a bewildered quirk twitched the corner of her slightly ajar mouth; her expression was bemused, her already simple mind breaching meltdown capacity. Still, she smiled awkwardly down at him with meek disquiet. "I only wanted to pick a few; so that I might carry their beauty with me....I didn't mean to hurt anyone!" His voice seemed to reflect the conflict churning through her mind; it began to waver pitifully and an immense surge of concern choked as an emotional bubble in her throat. He scrabbled closer through the thin, yellowy-green grass, crushing it as he did so.

There was a surreal strangeness pooling in his milky eyes that she couldn’t place- she had never encountered blindness before and was both troubled by the mysteriousness of his stare, and intrigued. He looked away from her suddenly, relinquishing his possession of her own starry-eyed gaze- that which had been tempted down, slightly closer to look over him and assess his credibility. To her, the embodiment of immaturity and foolishness, he seemed to be retarded; or stunted psychologically in some form or another. Are you real? Are you my conscience? She pondered between dumb-struck blinks...
While he appeared otherwise distracted by a pretty field-daisy of some kind, Africa lowered her quivering muzzle to prod him once, twice- and his supple flesh was quite warm and alive. The situation was bordering insanity, and slowly she began to question herself, wondering with a screwed up nose if this was the beginning of her minds decay. She had always considered herself different, imaginative and the like... but this was even more peculiar than the wildest of all the adventures she had dreamt up.

"It's beautiful" Came his whispering voice, cracking through the flood of her thoughts, and quietly she lowered her face to examine the flower- something she did quite often in fact, and drew a long breath filled with the soft hue of pollen spores. It is pretty...” She agreed with a soft, considerate tone and glanced over the stallion as he still lay beneath the peaceful sway of the tall wildflower carpet. Trustingly, she began to lower beside him, falling the final distance across folded black legs with a thud. Propping herself against her elbow for stability, Africa reached across and picked the flower, breaking the stalk from its bed and threading it silently, to secure it through a thick tangle of white mane behind his large, sagging ears... “Why don’t you keep it then.” Africa thought him to be unnervingly unbalanced, and so affirmed inwardly, that if something made him so dizzily happy, why not attach it to him permanently.

She leaned back, quite satisfied with her attempt to make peace between them. ”Now you may carry such beauty always...”

Art by Nevada
Table by Neo!