Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

The oasis was drowning beneath the day’s third heavy downpour. Africa trudged tirelessly with unscathed optimism, despite the penetrating chill of saturated coat against her warm steamy skin. Her springing steps sank deeply into the waterlogged grass, leaving sharp imprints in her wake. The casual young horse was oblivious mind due, entirely caught up in her search for Midas whom she had not seen lately, if at all since he had blessed her with home and family; and rescued her from the miserable stallion in the northern mountains- a memory she had quite promptly quashed. She was exceedingly appreciative though, and had settled now quite comfortably into the Throat’s way of life. Africa could not count the moons that had passed already, it seemed a long time though, and she felt tardy having left this duty so long.

Lifting her ashen face towards the sky, Africa squinted, peering between long thick lashes to spot the widening crack in the bleak grey clouds. The weather, she thought, was trapped in a cycle- Rain... sun... rain... sun, and when the midday glow did split through its suffocating blanket, there was no warmth. The rays were weak, and diluted. “Perhaps it will be a cold winter”, the young horse wondered aloud and the vapour of her hot words rose upwards, against the drumming rain. Africa had witnessed three winters prior to now, all within the comfortably tropical valley overseen by her Father, and she could not predict how the desert might wear the coming cold season.

On she wandered. The swish of wet grass stripped the coating of desert hue from Africa’s passing hooves, though she soon found to follow a winding track, shared by a channel of eroding water moving quickly down the hill. Her ploughing strides broke the smooth flow of the current as she hastened clumsily up the slippery slope, and mud splashed about her slim charcoal legs coating them with sodden red. Ducking through a narrow, overgrown point in the track she scanned the open area of grass ahead but to no avail, Midas was not there either. Scrambling up the chiselled path’s lining wall, the young mare sighed with dismay. I have been searching since morning! I suppose he must be busy. Africa shrugged at the relentless beating of rain against her back, frustrated mostly by the fruitlessness of her hunt.

Considering it her final effort for today, the young horse sent a high pitched call through the rain, and although the sound was shrill as it shattered the drone of white noise, it’s intensity was somewhat muffled; drowned in the deluge.

"Thinking. Speaking. Acting."

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
Let heaven part so you can witness the colors of the sky
Golden child
Being in authority meant more responsibility, a higher expectancy, and less free time. (A lot less.) These facts where felt most heavily by my son’s, Hototo and Cera. Maybe not so much Hototo; because he had his mom around—Cera on the otherhand was struggling through months of adolescence, and I simply couldn’t stand by him every waking moment. I couldn’t even begin to think of a recent time this season when I had simply put aside a day for their benefit.

My only recollection that appeared most vibrantly close is the evening we spent on the sparkling white beach during the last few weeks of Tallsun. That day had been filled with games of skytag, and seatoss—adults and cherubs had adored every moment. These memories where sometimes the only thing that warmed me on cold midnight patrols--remembering how peaceful everything was in a single moment. How easy it had been to simply soak in joy and surrender to the day.

Daylight had been swallowed by desert storms. The thirsty ground drank in all offerings, and the dusty creatures that occupied it lumbered around with wet fur and wet feathers. I knew that flooding would be a problem in the coming days, so I had been out surveying the damage our thunderstorms had/where in the process of causing.

It was important that none of our member got swept away by a flash flood— to aid in this, many of my soldiers were actually within the herd and not patrolling the boarders. Their job was to protect mares and foals that might get caught in a landslide. Ivory appendages pumped valiantly, the water proof slick was nature’s way of keeping my secondary feathers dry enough for flight to be possible. A light sprinkle could be managed, but not a typhoon. I couldn’t stay adrift in a downpour easily, or for very long.

After assuring that none of our group had ventured off and gotten themselves trapped, or worst killed, I banked for home. Even blinking rapidly couldn’t stop the slight sting of needles sharply piercing my eyelids and blurring my vision until it seemed that everything swam in a sea of liquid. The wind became finicky and long before I had come into the Oasis, my body was forced into a rather rough landing. Red mud squished beneath my golden daggers, and cantering legs kicked more across my undercarriage and all the way back to my thighs. The bend connecting feathers to muscles folded along my barrel, by now even secondary’s where sopping wet—the warmth flesh had collected while flying was instantly cooled when chilled wings closed shut.

I shivered but kept on running through the soft mud, my destination was within sight. Suddenly a shrill call rang through the rain, my ears which had been flattened to keep water from entering the soft holes suddenly perked up. Dripping head angled toward the vocal’s and before the sound had died my steps quickened into an all-out gallop. Water and dirt sloshed behind me. Though it didn’t sound like a danger call, I couldn’t take any chances in weather like this. Someone might be suck in a sinkhole.

She came into sight, I slowed in the downpour. Trails of water gliding down my muscles and mixing with caked mud. A warm fog of moisture crept from flared nostrils and with each inhale chest heaved. My eyes darted to the area between us/and around, “Are you alright Africa?” Pushing down the trail I headed for her side, muzzle extending to greet hers should she allow the gesture. It looked like she had been rummaging around as well.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased

Look down
Look up

As the ring of her call dissolved into the sheet rain, the young grey slumped casually, tilting her hind foot to rest in the waterlogged mud. The weather prevented flight, thus binding the young restless creature to the confines of her homeland- battling through sodden desert sand to escape the ugly atmosphere certainly offered little appeal. The creamy glow of her bothered gaze continued to survey the grass patch ahead, though for now she remained indolently stuck in the mud above the pathway.

While she loved the rain and its nourishing, reviving effect on the plants and flowers she devoted much of her time tending to, on this particular occasion it seemed to drown her unusually high spirits. There was no particular reason for her shift in attitude- aside from the unproductive days searching for the Throat’s General, but she understood graciously that he was of great importance and had far bigger responsibilities across his black and white shoulders then passing the time, gardening or chatting. The water coursed tirelessly against her stationary legs, and she allowed a moment- mid inspection, to glance down. It was not terribly deep yet, though her eyes narrowed accusingly when they found terracotta stained legs had replaced her charcoal grey set.

With a contemptuous snuffle, Africa heaved herself further up the low bank, until she was standing clear of the mud, water and filth in general. Turning then, with nothing better to occupy herself with she began scraping the beading water from her glossy feathers, quill by quill, and realigning them so that they posed still an even better chance at remaining dry. She had barely begun fiddling with the fifth, when the sloshing sound of hooves pumping mud filled the air about her quickly lifted face. Her ears quivered as the sound grew nearer and she fluffed her wings, and drew them snugly against her mottled barrel.

The stallion hastened through the gap in long palm fronds that she had not long ago been peering through. His body steamed against the icy shed of rain, and Africa immediately flushed with embarrassment. “Are you alright Africa?” He asked, as he splashed down the streaming trail towards her, water flicking out from beneath his belly with each powerful stride. She sighed, and the cloud of breath blended with his as he arrived by her side.

Whoops...” She muttered, blushing as she scolded herself inwardly, though her eyes could easily have betrayed the thought when she severed the lock of his concerned gaze to peer coyly at the grasses narrowly escaping his crushing weight. “I’m so sorry...” Even as his nose extended in greeting, water dribbling down between his flared nostrils and all, Africa hesitated childishly. She had well and truly escaped the meek shell which had encased her upon their first meeting so long ago- now she was the silly fool she had presented as before; but doubled these days with the more often than not unflattering form of carefree tactlessness. She was learning though, and her character was maturing with each passing day.

Midas, I didn’t mean to trouble you. I guess I had nothing better to do, and shouldn’t have presumed you would be readily available.” She blushed still hotter, his presence no less exhilarating than it had been on the previous occasions. “I wanted to say thank you for saving me.” Africa’s voiced shrank away bashfully, the tone both apologetic and exceedingly grateful. Carefully though, she met his eye as she spoke- that admiring look bore the esteem and respect the young horse had for him in itself.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
Golden child
She apologized. Why was she apologizing? I wondered. My nose hung in the air, closing the distance between us halfway. All that remained was for her to do the same, and show me by some sign that she was well. Instead, the lass shrank from me--embarrassed, afraid? I couldn’t tell which. The wet ivory mess of hair extending from my bottom gave a hearty pat against flanks, my gaze trailed past her dripping tri colored form. Instantly I did a scan of the immediate area around us, reading for hidden dangers or the possibility of one.

“Midas, I didn’t mean to trouble you. I guess I had nothing better to do, and shouldn’t have presumed you would be readily available.” A small amount of steam misted from my cooling sides that where now no longer warm. Feathers shifted to hold themselves tighter against the bulk of my barrel. Was that how she and the others felt? That I simply couldn’t take a moment from duties to have a word with one of my clansisters? My head rocks back and forth, lips curved downward in a slight frown. I raise my eyes again to lock into those gentle orbs I had come to know over the past few weeks, “Nay little sister, you have nothing to apologize for. I always try to make myself available to the family.”

There was nothing this heart throbbed more for; nothing was more important than family. “I wanted to say thank you for saving me.” Both ears had remained perked forward against the onslaught of rain, her words slide them back a notch—though the movement shouldn’t be misunderstood, my mind was remembering how the painted Gypsy stud had treated my clanmate. Understanding that she needed closure, despite the fact that the very life she thanked might one day be given freely to assure that others would continue down this bitter trail we called ‘life’.
“You’re welcome, dear one.”

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Always easily influenced and manipulated, Africa felt the tickle of a smile curl through the wrinkled corners of her black mouth. The black and white stallion’s ever graceful tone was as soothing, as medicine was healing to the diseased. Though a formidable foe to those opposing his family (she had witnessed this firsthand), she found greater respect and appreciation for the kindness of his words, and tolerance pooling behind his considerate golden gaze. The soaking rain, which continued so persistently to pummel her dappled coat, seemed to cleanse the inner disharmony betrayed by her nervous posture while she stood before him. Africa swayed left and tilted her rear, right hoof casually.

“You’re welcome, dear one.”

It was more than enough. The phrase, so simple and honest warmed her core- touched her heart, and hauled her from that shell which she so willingly allowed herself to hide within. Quietly her eyes parted from the sincere lock of his gaze, peering curiously beyond him for the glowing bird that usually was usually his shadow. Snow-white Sohalia, who also shared their home and family, had explained much about the concept of companions and bonds- and Africa possessed a new, voracious fascination for these creatures and their love. Often, beneath the flickering starlit sky, the young horse pondered her own future, and her heart would ache with longing and loneliness, though she could not have known if it was that missing fragment which had been described so intriguingly to her.

Neither spark, nor glow caught her wandering eye- Africa presumed such weather would douse such a glorious fire-creature, and she returned her focus with an effortless, rain-drenched grin. “I hope the rain clears soon.” She giggled lightly, her ambition to crack through the sketchy beginning of the brief chat. It was a sincere comment though, and she gestured with an upturned muzzle to will the dark clouds away. “I can’t imagine the desert is that thirsty...” Another humble giggle to conclude and she reached quietly forwards to thank Midas again and bid him farewell with a gentle brush of her muzzle.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
Golden child
My response seemed to be just the release she needed to fall into a state of ease. Any concern I had been feeling for her uneasiness mostly vanished when that lean female posture softened. This of course aided to further simplify the air between us and didn’t give me cause to wonder when she broke eye contact to peer behind me. By now there surely isn’t a spot on either of us that is dry, and I can feel the cool air start to settle between the thick layers of water resistant fur. “I hope this rain clears soon.” I allow my lips to crack apart into a lopsided grin; the desert rarely saw showers such as these—and though we grumbled about the downpours now. We would be thankful for them come next budding season. Still, enough was sometimes enough. Water sops my hair, and makes it stick against a neck that has cooled enough to not be steaming anymore.

“I can’t imagine the desert is that thirsty.” I chuckle and say, “Our home has a relentless thirst,” considering now with that same boyish grin I add, “Best to drown yourself in it whilst you can, Frostfall will see these late showers chased away.” Then it would be cold, very very cold. She moves to bid me farewell, I can see the goodbye in her eyes right before her ashy muzzle comes to give a traditional parting. Just as quick as we met, she wanted us to part again—my face extends to scent her offering and press against that soft feminine warmth for a spare moment before withdrawing.

After a second of silence I propose with quiet tone,“There is a grand tree near the base of our lake, its branches are wide and forgiving. It would offer some amount of protection against this storm, would you like me to walk you to it?” True, our tropical shelter isn't far in the distance, and maybe I was just using it as an excuse to get a little more company time with her. But…like all creatures, I was lonely.

Deceased

Look down
Look up

The steady cascade of rain almost drowned Midas’s softly spoken words. Respectfully though, the young mare’s attention was unwavering and the careful lean of her cupped ears towards him easily picked his offer from the thrum of noise. “There is a grand tree near the base of our lake, its branches are wide and forgiving. It would offer some amount of protection against this storm, would you like me to walk you to it?” Africa nodded agreeably; she thought quietly that even a brief respite would be beneficial. The water was slowly beginning to breach the waterproof shield of feathers clutched cosily against her waist, and whenever the cold billowing wind swirled by, the chill seemed to penetrate right through to her subtly shivering core.

That would be cool...” She answered heartily, ruffling her wings briskly so that a spray of glistening rain erupted around her. There was a sudden surge of bubbling excitement stirring within her as she waited patiently to follow his lead. Africa had sought Midas that day for other reasons also, although expressing her sheer gratitude held the greatest priority. She noted quickly that he was in no hurry to rush away to toil beneath the weight of his work as General, and sighed happily. The young horse could not deny the adulation rippling through her stomach; it twitched and bothered her- though not with discomfort. Whether or not Midas offered his regal attention to every other of their brethren did not seem to matter, Africa cherished his undivided attention completely.

I was in the Threshold recently...” She started quietly- perhaps overdoing the casual tone a little, just to try to blend her writhing nerves, ““...and I overheard a conversation about a group called the Assassins.” Africa paused to check his expression with a thoughtful smile. “I spend a lot of time there these days!” she added quickly although it was as out of place as a duck in the desert. “A mare, Accalia- was trying to gather support and numbers from travellers. It seemed she was organising a rescue party to take back their leader. She was trying to rebuild ranks I thought...” The dappled mare wasn’t sure how valuable the information was, or itsa relevant to the Throat, because prior to that chance meeting, she had never heard about the rogue ‘band’. “It was just weird and I thought I should tell you.” She shrugged coolly, relieved to have finally shared the (slight) burden of information- she repeated the message constantly in her mind so as not to confuse its content, and it would be a grand thing now to let it simply fade away.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
Golden child
She could have turned me away, or made a polite excuse to bid us farewell and end it at that. I would have gone about my wet business, and she about hers. Instead, Africa nodded, acknowledging my offer—even seeming pleased that I had moved to extend that invitation. That same willingness was responded to with a delightful smile that was neither overly zest or totally tranquil; could she see the small burst of gratitude filter in? It softened desert hardened features to just relax a little, one could say that I almost looked my age when put even slightly at ease.

Stress could add wear to someone more than time ever dreamed of doing. Rearing three children, fighting for a large family, and maintaining a distant relationship could grow more than just a few white hairs in my black mane—oh, and trying to keep ones sanity while doing all of the above was a game in itself. “Out of the rain and cold we go then.” I replied humorously, turning from her to plow through the mucky mess that was our mushy, squishy home. Confident that Africa would be quick to follow I didn’t bother turning my head to see where she was; the sound of her body flexing and creaking through the slosh would be enough to gauge position.

I focused on the slippery path ahead, keeping a creeping but steady pace—(it wouldn’t have mattered if we went fast or not, considering both of us are already soaked to the bone). My da had taught me ‘that a warrior could just as easily fell himself when in a great hurry during a typhoon,’ he would laugh as if that single sentence was the funniest wisecrack ever uttered, and then he would add, ‘no need for foes when your sprawled out with all four corners in the mud.’ I might have smiled from having just remembered a little fond memory, but Africa spoke up, succeeding to capture my attention yet again. “I was in the Threshold recently.”

One ear swiveled back, I listened carefully for her soft tones over the drizzle. She gave information about the, ‘Assassins.’ Somehow their name was spreading across the country like an unchecked fire; my teeth ground down a little, though the look across my face would have been one of thoughtfulness. I nodded once when she suddenly articulated that her time was spent in the forest—I also couldn’t help but think that Africa was a rather useful soldier, despite her not being one by title. None of my other brethren had come forward with news regarding much of anything, a spare trespasser here and there…but for the most part they remained impassive it seemed—or else didn’t want to share information with their young General.

When the girl had finished I spoke above the rain, still walking on, “Aye, your mind is sharp—this information will be passed on to our Sultana’s; they will decide on how to handle those cut-throats, in the meantime,” my face turned, facing away from the blowing rain. I look back at Africa, finding her gaze and locking it with my own, “I pray dear friend, stay alert when you go out — the wild lands are dangerous and unforgiving.” Even to my ears those words sounded a lot like the braying of an overly concerned hen, “Though, I have no doubt that you will manage what the wild throws your way,” my last statement rang truth—one never learned their true abilities until they were pressed against a wall, and I had no doubt that she would eventually learn hers. Just as Cera would.

Deceased

Look down
Look up

She followed with the same enthusiasm as a dog pressing against the leg of its master, though Africa’s obedience hinted vague snippets of her innocent attraction to that which was (to her) the very epitome of strength and wonder. She was so happy in the company of Midas; so secretly fascinated by all the mystery rippling beneath that sinewy black and white pelt. Her steps were light and playful as they cut through the waterlogged slush politely off his rocking hip, and she watched in candid amusement as both of their undulating legs became plastered with the sticky, terracotta red mud. She giggled lightly, wrapped entirely up in the blissful shift of her mood.

Midas spoke at long last, though the wait had possibly only been to accommodate Africa’s own spill of words. “Aye, your mind is sharp—this information will be passed on to our Sultana’s; they will decide on how to handle those cut-throats, in the meantime,” Cut-throats! she thought with a curious nod, her eyes parting their splashing path to consider his reaction. Distantly, they young mare focused on another of their family who was passing by, obviously with some secret intent. There was fair distance between her and Midas, and the other blurred figure, and the duo moved through the sheet rain unnoticed.

His face ventured back towards her for a moment, and shining eyes met his golden gaze keenly, her expression a bright contrast to the unusually bleak atmosphere of their home. “I pray dear friend, stay alert when you go out — the wild lands are dangerous and unforgiving.” Midas’s voice, though calm and gentle as it always had been offered to Africa, was laced with warning and concern and dutifully she nodded in return, acknowledging in her own style that she appreciated his words.
Although she was out and about so often, there had been only the one occasion where such danger had embraced the naive mare. While she had learned well to be more careful in her ventures, memories faded and the terror of that particular experience was slowly numbing- she was trusting and friendly, and almost certainly that could be her biggest downfall.
He continued, “Though, I have no doubt that you will manage what the wild throws your way,” and Africa squirmed slightly beneath the light clothe of his confidence. She had never truly been accountable- for anything, and the fact that Midas had so unwittingly brought it to light made her nervously aware of her own frequent foolishness- she was no longer a child.

She fluffed the lace-work of her feathered wings, her thoughts ultimately grounded; her attitude more sombre and less blithe. Still, she smiled along as her General’s voice trailed away to be lost amid the softening patter of rain.

I met Sohalia.” Africa told him eventually, not overly enjoying the sobering tone she had in turn created. She lifted her face quietly with a thoughtful grin. “She was so lovely, so kind.” Indeed the young horse hoped that the foundations of friendship had been set between her and her snowy herd-sister, and she held the mare in high regard. “She explained all about ranks and the responsibilities of all the different classes- spies, scholars, healers.. soldiers.” Africa left Midas’s own curious class till last for affect- to entertain him maybe in some subconscious way, and her lips peeled back to reveal a hearty, off-white grin. “At first, and after watching you fight the ‘Gypsy’ in the northern mountains I wanted to heal. I even sought Cirrus and Onni a few weeks ago, but now I am not so sure. I want to work so much.” Her voice was suddenly struck by an air of desperate longing; she felt terrible, like she was a parasite suckling off her host family, and wanted to be of some use- truly, some importance.

She paused, glancing away through the descending cloud of wistful confusion veiling her distant stare.

I have no skills, no talents. My ambition is without direction...” Her voice fought to re-establish a more chipper note, and she shrugged coolly, the words by no means pleading for Midas to help or fuss. Probably, Africa was just musing aloud.
Sohalia also told me all about companions.” The young dapple grey had been so curious about the fire-bird which followed him- although now she knew better, that his companion was joined to the stallion through a powerful, unbreakable bond. The idea had enthralled her, and captivated her- it was like magic. “She said that maybe you might be able to tell me more about them- well, you know because you have err...” Bothered by her forgetfulness Africa blinked and cursed herself silently. “I’m sorry, I don’t remember her name.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
Golden child
“I met Sohalia,” I didn’t know who this person was. Or even if she was part of our family. But I figured if the name held some importance, Africa would be quick to share the information with me in due time—so my first reaction was to not press but to grin patiently and wait. Sure enough restraint is rewarded within the next breath she takes, “She was so lovely, so kind.” I smiled and took a moment to sort through all the stacked files that consisted of names and faces—the end result is the same. Despite having my little friend explain that this ‘Sohalia’ had broken down our ranking system; I had somehow missed this women. Surely though, my eyes would recognize her face when given the chance? I would have seen Sohalia at the last herd gathering.

With approval and to show that I’m still listening through the endless drizzle I nod, and she continues to speak. Africa remembers the elder that attacked her, and my lips twitch—there are few people on this earth my soul truly disliked. Our gypsy friend was one of them. She expresses a desire to work; a trait that can be easily related too (considering most of my waking hours are spent completing various responsibilities.)

“I have no skills, no talents. My ambition is without direction…” Quietly and with a trademark fatherly tone I respond, “Everyone has talents little sister—they are simply in need of nourishment in order to be realized…perhaps you could train with the Soldiers, learn the ways of a recruit. I could surely keep you busy enough.” My tone is light, but the intent completely serious. If she didn’t want to mend, perhaps this little mare could learn to fight—though for a brief second I wondered if it was wise to train yet another pure soul for battle. Her spirit seemed so rich, not yet spoiled by hardships—even undeserving of life as a defender.

Didn’t the spotless ones deserve something more? What could we give them?
It was sometimes hard to remember that not all creatures were as fragile as I might make them out to be; but this mind had been reared in the old-fashioned manner—as much as this spirit would rather see her home and well…I knew that when destiny called, all would answer its cry. She would become whatever the Lord willed her to be, and any hidden gifts would be brought to the surface in the process.

“Sohalia also told me all about companions.”

As if on cue the wide branches of an ancient tree came into sight, its backdrop is misted by the downpour—almost completely invisible, had the space been clear we would see a familiar watering hole. Perched in one of the highest limbs sat a bird of fire. Her head had been tucked behind the leftmost portion of one blazing wing; she was taking an afternoon snooze when we approached drier ground beneath her resting spot. “Fina.” I murmured loud enough for her skyblue raptor gaze to turn to me. In response she chirped, and shook out her feathers with a sigh; one glance was enough, “You are all wet.” she uttered in soft broken speech that was full of accusing disgust; as if being wet was some fault of mine? There would be plenty of room for both of us to be at least 78% protected from the rain. "What would you like to know?" I turned to regard Africa with a genuine calm falling over my facade; an honest openness that is usually almost always reserved for family.

Deceased

Look down
Look up

The stallion’s ebony cranium bounced in reaction to Africa’s rambling- which is what it possibly seemed to be, despite the content holding much value to its teller, and she was contented. She could not have known that he was scrambling to place Sohalia’s name to a, perhaps forgotten face in his past; she was well behind him, and any shift of his expression eluded her concentrated attention. Simply, the young grey had merely presumed that all of the members of the herd, their family, were tied closely together; and similarly, relationships to suit. Africa had only met a handful personally, but that was overlooked entirely, of course.

Her curious ears tilted forward, listening as Midas offered his thoughts on the subject of her career, or lack thereof; almost her entire being leaned towards him, even if a little overzealously, tuning her whole focus upon him like a school girl fanning over her first crush. Stupidly, she was grinning and it was probably for the better that the General was tending to their safe passage through the sludge, and not watching his silly young company. It was not that anything she had said was insincere, nor was her seeking his counsel a wasteful ploy for attention- that was just a bonus.

“Everyone has talents little sister—they are simply in need of nourishment in order to be realized…perhaps you could train with the Soldiers, learn the ways of a recruit. I could surely keep you busy enough.” While initially she was shocked at the prospect he presented; pausing with uncertainly fluttering ears to consider, Africa was not entirely opposed. Her only experience with battle was the one for which she heralded the painted stallion before her a hero, it had not been to her liking at all though; quite the opposite in fact, as it had instilled some form of disharmony throughout her generally peaceful soul.

Hastening forward again should he not have noticed her brooding halt, Africa slipped once clumsily, and afterward seemed to adopt a more sensible outlook, composing herself embarrassedly so as not to blunder in Midas’s company again.
Honestly,” she said quietly, worried her decline might offend his generosity, “I don’t think my heart lies in violence.” Her voice was soft and noted with unwarranted caution, and while she truly didn’t want to label his art with that word, it was the only explanation she could think of. “... But!” She blurted quickly, cursing herself for being so vulnerable and easily manipulated- even when that wasn’t even remotely his intention. “I will try, and base my decision on experience.” A sigh escaped through her flaccid nostrils instead when her jaw stiffened stubbornly, reluctant to allow the release of air.

When they came to the tree at last, Africa glanced upwards, prompted by the stallion’s soft voice- “Fina.” She smiled with delight when the creature fluffed her bright feathers, half expecting a cloud of steam to plume through the rain above. The mare shuffled to take shelter, automatically allowing more space for her superior’s comfort than her own. “I was wondering how you and Fina met; how you knew...

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
Golden child
“Honestly,” she says, her voice is so soft to my ears that I have to strain so that she might be heard over the drizzle. “I don’t think my heart lies in violence.” My breath comes out as a soft sigh, and the air directly ahead fills with vaporizing mist. Though it was my duty to find and train warriors for threshing, I felt a small amount of relief. She wouldn’t have to live with dirty hoofs, stained by the blood of enemies and fools. Knowingly I turned my face toward her, no reproach or the like could be seen. Africa might not be a natural battle born, but over time it was certain that a slot for this lady would be handled forward; one way or another she would come across violence.

“….but” she adds hastily, and I could only grin all the wider at her attempts to somehow appease after turning my suggestion down. “I will try, and base my decision on experience.” Africa’s last statement was something I could approve of down to the deepest core of my being, nodding with approval I simply say, “So you will.” Still smiling I watch as she turns toward our fiery company, possibly thinking of a question. Fina is currently staring back at us with a sour expression, (or as sour as a bird can appear.)

“I was wondering how you and Fina met; how you knew…”

The tale of how we met? Fina turns her creamy beak to me; clicking once, then falling silent as if she too wanted to hear this story. I frowned a little, but with a good natured tone and a shrug added, “I’m not the best story teller…” drifting off, my mind slips back for a moment. Back to that day in the Heavenly Field. After a second, I start to speak, “We met toward the end of our last Frostfall; the flowers hadn’t dared lift their heads out of fear that a rouge frost might come. But, the air was warmer and sky glorious to behold.”

My tone wavers a little, nervously I shift my weight to the right—leaning away from Africa. “She was an egg when I found her perched on the edge of an unstable cliff by fate…or ill luck…I didn’t know which. Others came to lend their aid of course, I among them.” I’m pleased by how my voice naturally starts to even out and grow pleasantly smooth as the story progresses, “We combined our efforts to rescue the egg and then worked to keep it warm.” Honeyed eyes trail up, gazing into the endless blue predator pupils that had my lips locked, “The gods favored my efforts above the others that day; blessing me with her egg by announcing my claim so that all would know that she was mine, and I hers.”

Cranium lowers and I turn to look at Africa, “She hatched shortly after; hungry and rather demanding.” Fina chirps loudly, offended that I would even brooch such a topic, “I’m never demanding,” she hisses and I grin but give her no quarter of my attention, “We hadn’t bonded before...while she was still an egg; but after we looked at each other, it was…” voice trails off, struggling to find the right set of words, “It was as if…our minds opened…we could feel each other; not so much in a physical way; but spiritually, with our souls.”

Deceased

Look down
Look up

“We met toward the end of our last Frostfall; the flowers hadn’t dared lift their heads out of fear that a rouge frost might come. But, the air was warmer and sky glorious to behold.” Africa sighed quietly and closed her pale eyes unthinkingly. It was something that always helped her to delve deeper into the fantasy worlds painted by her mother’s enchanting tongue as a young child. Immediately the blackness locked in behind clenched eyelids began to fade, and the young horse was immersed in a world, familiar and comfortable; but of a different era, many seasons before her arrival in Helovia.

Like always, Africa was only a ghost, dancing and cavorting carelessly like children do. She was weightless, with wings that new neither burden nor strength, and she appeared as an apparition only, blessed to share the experiences of the one who weaved the story around her. Immersed entirely, the gentle note of Midas’s baritone voice was a melody, a narrative whispered by the lazy sea-spray wind as it playfully tousled the mane of a black and white stallion, perched across the cliff top plateau. There were others with him, but they did not matter, and their identities remained secret; their faces mere blurs of wishy-washy colour against a vast emerald sky.

Silently she enjoyed his story or explanation as it were, to answer her nagging curiosities. A vague smile quirked frequently, the otherwise still purse of rough black lips and her ears listened with keen interest, pressed forward against the hum of his masculine voice. He spoke well, in spite of the modest admission he had made to begin with, that his story telling skills were perhaps not the greatest. Actually, Africa glided through each part that he told her effortlessly, guided only by the smooth grace of his words. And even as she was stirred from her dream by the indignant chirp of the brightly feathered bird, a state of relaxation lingered through her mind.

And so his story was recreated by the humble grey creature’s overactive, vivid imagination- much to her delight.

A light giggle slipped through a more permanent smile and though Midas looked towards Africa, her opening eyes were again rising to admire Fina, undaunted by her apparent resentment of the role she filled in the pages of their history. “We hadn’t bonded before while she was still an egg; but after we looked at each other, it was…” He continued, though her attention was drawn back quickly as his voice began to soften and trail- she was enthralled entirely, and her being willed the words he seemed to be grasping for to spill fluidly onto his tongue.
“It was as if…our minds opened…we could feel each other; not so much in a physical way; but spiritually, with our souls.”

Excited by such a phenomenon, Africa’s eyes sparkled. She could not tell then if a piece of her heart was even missing, though she hoped so earnestly- so close seemed the bond between Midas and Fina, that the dappled mare ached for something so special in her own, dull lonely life.

Wow...” She exclaimed at last, drawing a deep breath after and pausing to process all that had been offered. “Your story was more wonderful than I imagined. I can only hope my destiny holds such a bond as yours Midas- but what will be, will be I suppose.” There was a subtle, retiring sadness gripping the note of her voice just then, but she coughed quietly and when she spoke next there was no trace of it. “Who knows what the future holds!” Africa beamed quickly to mask her twitching emotion- perhaps that was her heart longing; she couldn’t have known.

Around them the rain seemed to lighten a little. The drizzle became a mist, and Africa lifted her face to find the thick rug of bleak grey clouds beyond the tree’s branches, lifting ever higher. She peered back thoughtfully towards Midas and reached to maybe nudge him gently, a friendly gesture, and one of gratitude. “Perhaps the cloud’s have no more tears.” She half whispered, looking to assess their saturated home in one sweeping motion.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
Golden child
Story telling was something that grew with age, like the primary feathers of newborn Pegasus. I ended my brief summary, (one could hardly call my rambling a story) with a soft sigh and a proud grin that was altogether pleasantly relaxed. She didn’t seem to think my telling’s were silly, nor was my manner of speaking—though I spoke in the high tongue as mother had often called it. Talking without slang, instead, my lips dripped with honey—gilded and smooth. Perhaps one day I would really be able to weave a tale. “Wow…” she finally said after sharing a gaze with my bonded child. I followed those eyes until they came to rest on red plumage and smiled gently before turning back. “Your story was more wonderful than I imagined. I can only hope my destiny holds such a bond as your Midas—but what will be, will be I suppose.”

A humorous chuckle whelps from the hot pits of my chest, it wasn’t that I found her expression funny; I simply agreed. The sound passes my lips richly but with kindness and not jest, “There will be rain if our lord wills it so.” I added with another misty chortle. It didn’t seem possible that this sweet child wouldn’t find whatever her heart desired; indeed she seemed to have all the qualities that would make a good strong bond. Kindness, a pure heart, a brave heart.

“Who knows what the future holds!” Indeed, I thought. Who really knew?

Fina peered at us for a moment longer, finding our conversation less and less interesting now that the subject had been turned away from her being the center of attention. She spread her wings and took flight, just as the last drip drops of rain fell from a sky that still seemed rather darkly full of it. The air crackled and hissed as the fire on her wings evaporated the moisture instantly, she didn’t seem bothered by this—and I received a lovely image of a mutilated snake that would explain her motives of entering the drizzle. Fina was going to hunt.

I watch my other half fly away, and that is when I feel a hot breath at my shoulder. The velvet whiskers of her muzzle tickle my flesh, warming the spots that had cooled only moments ago—my lips retain their gentle expression and turn to her just as she pulls away, “Perhaps the cloud’s have no more tears.” Glancing up at the dissipating clouds with one cocked eye, but still regarding her as fully as I might, I add with a bit of guarded reserve, “They weep for a swiftly coming winter.” For the first time in a long time, I was feeling…very happy about simply being beneath this tree, and sharing airspace with a clan sister. “Thank you Africa…for humoring my presence,” I half smile and the tips that are turned up seemed to be more apologetic than anything, “It gets lonely; being busy all the time…”

Deceased

Look down
Look up

She stood quietly, saturated and cold as the day drew on but her spirits remained high never the less. “Thank you Africa…for humoring my presence,” Midas said to her, not altogether suddenly, but with words that the young horse had not expected. Her wandering amber gaze returned instantly to peer curiously across at the dignified General who she more or less viewed as superhuman- the heartthrob idol on her bedroom pin-up poster.

He was thanking her, and while she treasured his perspective and was touched by his sincerity, Africa couldn’t help but giggle weakly, demurely, as she lingered in his unsurpassed company. He was confused, tired maybe; or she had misinterpreted...

The black and white General continued through a half-smile, “It gets lonely; being busy all the time…” and she was filled with fond compassion, imagining innocently that his life was centred exclusively round the duty which his title encompassed. There was an element of apology lacing Midas’s tone that she couldn’t fathom, possibly because her thoughts were tainted by childish infatuation; that she had in fact, felt a nervous guilt for bothering his time. She, after all, would offer him every second her beating heart allowed if that was what made him happy- likewise, she would with all of their family if it was so required, but for some reason this warrior glowed above the rest through her admiring gaze.

It was then that Africa realised that she knew very little about him, and the sudden realisation of her own stupidity choked her elation. The folk who lived in the Throat were family, she thought carefully, finding the term to be suddenly loose and impersonal; souring the warmth it once shed through her heart. But surely there were more intimate relationships amongst the herd, cliques- real families. Not by lack of effort, the ambitious young mare still remained without intimacy or true friendship, all despite the months which had spiralled by since her arrival on Helovian shores.
Dithering still longer in her floundering thoughts, the sensitive Pegasus wondered whether Midas truly spent his time with Fina alone, guarding and rescuing clowns like herself. Surely there was one who delighted in his return every night. She didn’t even know where the stallion ‘lived’.

Realising that a frown had etched a path through her pale expression, Africa shrugged. Inwardly she hoped that the shift might have appeared to be as simple as her warding off the cold- that which hugged her more tightly now than ever, with a sobering loneliness all of her own.

You don’t have to thank me.” She smiled quietly. Other questions lay suspended in her conflicted mind, like the lord he had spoken of only moments before, but she soothed them away with a soft murmuring hum. “I always enjoy your company.” Her cheeks blushed of course, but the burning was well concealed by the fine hair lining her face and her eyes watched him, but without the same intent that had been.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
Golden child
If she only knew how much of my life actually revolved around work. Endless work. They relied on me, and my superiors to be strong when they felt weak, shine a guiding light when there was none; fight when all wanted to bow before suppressors. Yes, my title held a good deal of pride; yet I boasted none of it. My children where the sons and daughters of golden sand; my eldest son would be the closest to that symbol. Perhaps one faraway day, Africa would understand. I gave up my small personal family for the much larger picture. A sacrifice that was often frowned upon by many, more so by those that were called to sacrifice their mates going to war, and fathers into battle—yet, don’t all men of honor do as the ties of fate bid?

The answer was yes.

She frowned a little, and I look away…knowing that those words had made her uncomfortable, but I couldn’t regret saying them. “You don’t have to thank me.” It doesn’t take eyes to know that her features had softened into a smile again; the tone said everything and her next sentence warmed me further, “I always enjoy your company.” Golden pools surfaced from their lowered position, and I gazed into those opposite feminine eyes with content satisfaction, “You’ll have more of my company should your title harbor anything to do with soldiers,” I teased and hints of laugher filtered across my face, though no rumbling chuckles came forth “—you might not enjoy it then.” It was a joke mostly, but one spoken true.

Knowing that our time was coming to an end, my soul could already feel the tugs of border patrol beckoning me like a far of signal that only a warrior could hear. Softly I add, “If you every need anything Africa simply call for me; I’m often not far off.” A promise that was well spoken; I didn’t make vows lightly, “It’s time that our boarders are checked, be well sister,”and with that I dipped my head respectfully while stepping out from under the shadowing tree. Wings unfurled to halfmast slowly, primary caught the few drops that still fell from our dark sky but the main downpour had ceased. Since they are wet and heavy I have to run forward on the sloshing ground with each beating heavily. After a moment the ground slips away and I’m airborn.

OOC: Midas exits

Deceased

Look down
Look up

Placid and simple at heart, Africa appreciated the General’s optimism. Between this catch-up and their last, the young mare had spoken with only those with a more serious attitude; troubled or blunt, and as such her confidence had been marred a little by the solemn nature of her kin. Still now she lingered between them all, untouched by the curse of misery their magical world seemed to shed, and blissfully free of the binds of true responsibility. “You’ll have more of my company should your title harbor anything to do with soldiers,” the General taunted with an attractive playfulness that she did not expect from one who bore battle-scars, and wore bravery as a cloak across his back. “...you might not enjoy it then.” She rolled her honey eyes back with a gentle flick of her face, teasingly, pretending that such a prospect was indeed a concern.

If anything though, burden was just the opposite effect leaking through her mind. Africa’s idea of spars and associated trainings was perhaps a far cry from the realities of preparing for actual war.

“If you ever need anything Africa simply call for me; I’m often not far off.” Gratefully, Africa nodded. Already Midas had proved the truth of his statement, having been only a stone’s throw away on the few occasions required. Respectfully, the young horse puffed through fluttering nostrils and lowered her gentle gaze. “Thank you, sir.” She hummed quietly before he spoke again. “It’s time that our boarders are checked, be well sister,” the stallion concluded, his hot breath pluming delicately in the cool moist air as it spilt through his moving lips. Africa sighed internally, but offered a warm smile as he bid her farewell. It had taken far too long for her to seek him out after the encounter to the north, and she swore as she watched fondly his climb through the lingering mist, that she would never put off the company of her family again.

She did not leave the shelter immediately, instead swelling a little longer to reflect on the future now laid out before her.