the Rift

[OPEN] Starting From Scratch [apprentice pupils, open]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

A gentle breeze stirs my mane as I trot through the land. The morning sun is almost lazy, shining brightly from the East but without much heat to go along with it. Perhaps I would shiver in the morning air, but I have a newfound warmth within me that simply refuses to go away. Magic has awoken, unbidden, in my breast, and I intend to make very good use of it. There are threats to my homeland, and I will not stand for it. I am no fighter, nor can I heal the wounded, but I can contribute to our cause in other ways - and I will. Throughout my life, I have struggled with questions of protection. My parents loved me with all their hearts, and yet they could not protect me. Perhaps that is where I get my squeamishness from - above all, they taught me peace. And I embrace that legacy. But their deaths taught me, too, that I cannot simply sit by and hope for the best.

The threat of attack hangs over our heads. It has brought back many unpleasant memories for me. They say that the unicorns in the Basin are racist, that they hate us and wish to destroy us. My old nightmares have returned - red-eyed unicorns with bared teeth, the glory of battle shining in their eyes, haunt my dreams, chasing me through the woods as they did so many years ago. How had I escaped? I still cannot tell you, to this day. Instead, I had heard my mother's last screams, saw my father's last breath - and I ran. But hope remains bright in me even now, for I also remember the deserter that had chosen to help me. She was an old unicorn, and had just lost a child. As young as I was, I never would have survived without her assistance. I needed sustenance, I needed guidance, and she had given it to me more than willingly. I know that there are some in the Basin who would do the same - I know it. It has to be so - doesn't it?

I hadn't been able to protect my parents, nor the unicorn that I came to think of as my foster mother. But I can protect my herd. That or die trying.

The unfinished wall looms before me. My auds prick forward, my interest sparked. I hadn't taken the time previously to approach on foot, as I had never had an ability to assist - not that I knew who to go to. Our luck with Forgers has been rather bad. Still, I am here now, and I do not intend to let this go. I will finish this wall. I will give back to the herd that has done so much for me. I will protect them as best I can. The sheets of steel reach to a height far above me - if I had to estimate, I would say they are about as high as three of me. I am looking at a skeleton, it would seem - the outside part of the wall is solid steel, but the inside is merely pillars. They seem to be spaced about two horse lengths apart - maybe a bit more - and the support a wide walkway above. I frown. As much as I like the idea of sentry duty, it would get unbearably hot in the summer with the sun reflecting off the metal. Perhaps I should talk to Kri about some kind of overhang...

Enough, I tell myself firmly. The first thing to do is to simply finish the damn thing. Then I can look into making it more comfortable. Two ramps accent the ends of the finished part of the wall, a relatively short span in comparison to the entirety of the desert. I certainly have my work cut out for me. Curiosity sparks within me; I call upon the magic within me, pulling its warmth from my core and sending it out into the desert. A corner of a sheet of steel is loose, as though it were never properly secured. I gentle maneuver it into place, tossing my head slightly (as though that will help) and sear the metal, melding the pieces together. Observing my work from below, I smile. I finally have a purpose.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

C e r a</style>
          & Ilaria
look around you; the world is beautiful

It is another blow to know that Coris has left them, and Cera is beginning to think his desires to build will never be actualized. The turning of seasons bring two new ones to the mantel, and though he has finally reached the age of a task, he is no longer able to fit into the timeframe of applying. Though he is no longer the age of an apprentice, he cannot yet assume another job and so he stubbornly seeks out these new forgers. Passion blooms in his spirit for the massive wall they had created. He has memorized every plan Bazilisk ever showed him. Created layouts of his own, ones he is desperate to share with those who are able to make it a reality. Ilaria is perched, for once, upon his hindquarters instead of his shoulders. She is half-asleep, sprawled lovingly over his skin as she watches the land disappear behind them. Though she is not as loving when it came to creation, anything her bonded loved she would support. Because of her new positioning that day, Cera didn't take to the skies as he often did these days. Ever since finally getting it down, he had been in the sky more often than standing on the ground. But today, Ilaria had quite firmly told him no flying. She didn't often ask for such things, mostly because she enjoyed it too for some odd reason. So Cera had lovingly agreed to let her rest today, and kept his odd forever-jogging pace to a minimum in order to disturb her as little as possible. With such long legs he often looked to be ambling at all times, and the sway of his backside was not going to make it easier for her to sleep.

The gleam of the partly finished wall made his synapses start firing like crazy, endorphins putting him on a high he felt every time he saw the precious metal of the Throat gleam beneath the sun. Ilaria stirred as these feelings came to her in a rush, the night-dweller yawning and curling herself to face his right wing instead of behind them, sleeping green-red eyes blinking open. Cera loved that the magic of their bond had placed that ring of green on the outside of her irises, an emerald sphere that would always surround her deep auburn gaze, forever connecting them in the simplest of ways. Luck was smiling on him that day, for a pale form was upon the half-made wall that Cera had never seen. As he stood there, he watched her lift and connect sheets of metal, and he knew that he would have to beseech her to let him apprentice beneath her. Beyond excited, he nudged Ilaria up with one hip until she huffed and moved to his shoulders once more without complaint. She couldn't hold his excitement against him, after all. With this new freedom, Cera raced to meet his hopefully new mentor with a bright smile and gleaming emerald eyes.

As he came up towards her, he tried to look presentable, but the eagerness on his features was a little hard to extinguish. It was obvious to anyone who cared to look how much this child cared for the art of crafting. "You're the new Forger, aren't you?" he gushed, breathless with excitement. "I'm Cera, Midas' son. I've been apprenticing for Forgers since Bazilisk!" It wasn't often he used Midas as a distinguisher, but he didn't know this femme and hoped she would at least know his father. "I'm so excited you're here! I've been waiting so long for a new Forger, and I was going to apply but I had only just turned a year," he babbled, face as bright as the sun overhead as he gushed so obviously to this nameless fae. Hopefully she would not be like Bazilisk, impatient with him for being so outgoing and exuberant. "I've been working so hard, hoping for someone to take up the position! I...I memorized all of the layouts for the wall, from when it was first created, so I can help you! And I've thought of a few things too, but that's just me so you don't have to listen to them. Oh please, please can I be your apprentice? I don't have magic but I can work! And I can sketch and help, and gather things for you! I'm really good with drawing out models, please?" Desperation seeped into his vocals here, positively begging for the buttermilk mare to accept his words. He tried not to flaunt his own abilities, knowing she would be the main decision maker and builder, but his passion for building was glaringly obvious in the excitement with which he spoke. Ilaria poked her head over his right shoulder, studying Sohalia with judging eyes. She always did this with newcomers, judging if they were fit to be around Cera. Young she may be, but she was a good judge of character and would never allow Cera in the presence of someone who would harm him emotionally. Ilaria was fiercely protective of her child, despite Cera technically being older than her. Mentally, she was far more mature, and she was unsure if she would approve of this mare becoming her precious child's mentor. Only time would tell. Cera stood there nervously, awaiting judgment of his own, and prayed that Midas was right when he had encouraged him to seek out his mentor and show them his work.

image credits
table by whit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

Something about using my newfound gift sends shivers of delight through me. I had procured magic before this, but I rarely have the opportunity to use my ability to travels into the spirit lands in search of its inhabitants; in fact, I have avoided my gift since my daughter’s death, fearing that as I step through the breach between worlds, I will be confronted once more with her hauntingly peaceful face. But this magic, this general warmth, it provides me with something both calming and empowering, and at once I understand the true allure of magic.

The loose corner is now firmly fitted to the remainder of the structure, and I turn to wander down the wall’s short length, checking the steel with a gentle prod of magic from time to time. Everything else appears to hold strong, and I am able to get a sense of the process involved in building it. A breeze floats through the air in the shade beneath the walkway, and I relax for a moment, closing my eyes as it pulls tendrils of my mane free, and then I am on the move again, wandering back out into the sun. It is warm, though not with the glaring, oppressive heat of Tallsun. This, at least, is bearable.

A quick jaunt up the ramp, prepared to leap into flight should it collapse beneath me, and I am atop the structure with a grin. It holds my weight well (though I am admittedly a small weight for it to hold in comparison to some of my brethren) and I am satisfied that though there is little done on the wall, what has been done was well-built.

The clip of hooves on metal makes me turn, and I am greeted by the eager face of a yearling, his companion clinging quite amiably to his nape. There is a certain gleam in his eyes that is quickly explained by his rushing speech. I barely have time to answer his first question with a hasty, ”Yes, I am.” He’s off introducing himself and rambling on, his devotion to his studies apparent in every word. I smile at him and force down a chuckle. It is good to have one so eager on board, for it will make my work that much easier. And more pleasant.

”Slow down, youngling,” I tell him, my amusement clear in my kind vocals and sparkling eyes. ”My name is Sohalia, and I am indeed the new Forger. Or, at least, one of them, though I have yet to meet the other. I am sure, however, that I speak for both of us when I say that it is wonderful to have such an eager young colt as our apprentice.” The pleasantries out of the way, I am now able to address his pressing curiousity.

”I’m sure that you’ve got a great deal to offer, Cera. Why don’t you come and draw up the layouts for me? I believe I have an understanding of the wall, but I would like to make sure that I’m not missing anything.” I notice the furry head poking over the youngling’s shoulder, and I smile, enchanted. I am very fond of companions, particularly when they seem to care as much for their bonded as this one does. If I have learned anything of them, it is that they form their own opinions about their bonded’s associates. I will simply have to hope that the panda approves of me for young Cera’s sake.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Valentine Posts: 203
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 12
teeroo
[Image: 50c363de13e47]

Valentine

Divine was the gift he had been given, and now it was truly a reason for the grey stallion to believe that the Gods looked upon him with kindness, and that they were something to be revered. He moved with no bruises, no fleeting aches in his older body, but the mental damage was more than apparent. He was twitchy, moving with a slower pace than he normally would. He felt as if he should be hurting, should feel the pain of his injuries, but he was healed. Aiko, my darling child, has done nothing but watch over me since my return, helping me feed and soothing me while I have been this way. I've waken up countless times through the night, panting and screaming as I remember everything but that one patch that is scattered away. What I remember most are the nightmares that the poison gave me, the melting faces and bodies of my beloved and daughter, then the repeated murdering of my parents and uncle. It was all too real, and it happened so much...I felt to close, and those memories were already too hard to remember, to close to my heart to relive, and what d'Artagnan gave to me was something that I would never want for anyone, not even him.

I stand wearily at dawn, having slept very little through the chilly night of Frostfall. Before I can make a move, Aiko is raising, stuck to me like glue. I tell her to sleep, and she refuses, shaking her chestnuts locks and giving me a gaze which forces me to give in. How is it that she is now four months old, and that she is so mature? I nod my head for her to follow, and she is beside me, rubbing my grey skin against her red. I sigh, taking in my child and nuzzling her white face. Her black eyes shine even in the early morning light. How she looks so much like her mother. I look over at the sleeping form of my mate, her breathing steady and soft. My gaze doesn't last long, as Aiko is begging me to come help her find breakfast, and I must shift my gaze away from my beauty.

We find a patch of nice grass, not too chilled over, and eat. I sit while she stands, eating some grass messily from the ground, then running around in a circle. I laugh, amused by her sudden silliness, and it has been a long time since I've done so. How did things do down hill so quickly? I stand, shakily, and look out into the horizon. The day has begun, and it's a little before noon now, for I took my time to eat and she played, easily amused by almost everything. I call for her, and she comes, ears pinned back as my voice sounds weaker. She looks worried again, and I nuzzle her.

"Aiko, everything is fine my sweet child. Tell me, what is it you and your mother have been up to in my absence? Surely you did something interesting, and I can tell your buzzing with something..."

She smiles at me, sweet and silly again, and she start spilling words, clumsy little cute words.

"Daddy, I got to meet the God! The one that is here. Um...the Sun God? He was so nice, and he gave me a quest! He told me to go meet three people that were bad and that were some other fancy word, and then find out what their really like. And no Papa, you can't come with me. It's my quest, and I'm old enough to do it on my own. But otherwise, I've been out playing, and Mama's been sitting around, waiting for you to come home...Papa, what happened to you?"

My ears flick back in the excitement. The Sun God gave her a quest? How wonderful. I smile, thinking that this is truly a blessing, and my daughter is going to be blessed with magic of some sort. Then she tells me, with a tone of voice that I've never heard from her before, how I can't come with her. I chuckle at that. She is so much like me, stubborn and doesn't want help. But then she asks what happened in the Basin...what am I supposed to say? That I got taken for some strange reason, beat and tortured, then found my way back home? I don't even understand what happened, so I have no words for my child. She looks at me again, pleading with me, but I can't do it. I won't press upon her the bad thing I saw there that Orangemoon, and that is how it is going to stay, perhaps until she is older.

"I'm sorry, I can't tell you. You are still too young. Let's keep your innocence for a little while longer, hm?"

I nuzzle her, feeling the comfort of her blazing through me. I have missed her so, and her mother. I would never the same without them. Then I budge her, and I ran, almost as fast as I can, and she takes after me, yelling about me cheating. We laugh together, running around the Throat in the soft sprinkling ran of the new season, and it feels good to be back home. We eventually reach the boarder, and there I see a mare of silk, fixing apart of the wall. A young colt soon joins her, and I know that this must be the other Forger. Though I have not meet her, I have seen her around, but it has been a long time. I stop, waiting for my daughter to catch up, and together we walk towards the wall.

"Greetings young ma'am. My name is Valentine, and you must be the other Forger. I welcome you the ranks as well, and it is a blessing of the Sun God to give us both his power to forge and build with metals. This wall will definitely come in handy when it is completed. I would have come met with you soon but I was...delayed, if you will. And who is it you have by your side? You're a very handsome colt, do you have a name, perhaps?" I am shoved to my left, as Aiko nudges her face underneath my jaw, reminding me that she's there, and also I can tell that she is a bit shy. I coo her, then look back to the other two. "I'm sorry, this is my lovely daughter, Aiko Darleane, or Aiko for short. Say hi darling." Instead, she rushes under me, hiding her face behind my striped legs, and I laugh. "She's being shy today, you'll have to excuse her. So, let's get to working on this wall, hm? I've been wanting to get started since I felt the power grow inside of me, and I'm more than happy to do it today. Aiko, come, help Daddy will you?"

She nods, and I pick of a piece of metal, my horn glows as I close my eyes and lift it. There is a part that is not done yet, and I start with that, working my magic into it. It is a bit difficult at first, and the more I attempt to work at it, the easier it is, and soon I have the hang of it. There are pieces of metal scattered every where, and I know we will have a long road ahead of us, and this wall needs to be completed, for the protection of all our families.

"talk talk talk"
"think think think"

Follow the trail of blood…
You'll find me at the end.

I am no longer going into the cbox due to recent events. You can PM on this (Valentine's) account, go on my skype (teeroo777), or PM me on DA (teeroo). Thank you.

Credits to picture on page, since they won't show up since they are in black: http://twiwolf.deviantart.com/art/Free-Love-362011598

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

C e r a</style>
          & Ilaria
look around you; the world is beautiful

There is a motherly kindness to the beautiful ivory lass's face, and it warms Cera far more than the sun upon his spine ever could. He'd never had a motherly figure, and still lacked one. Something instinctive reaches out for her with a babe's arms, searching for the familiarity and love she seemed to radiate, something he so desperately craved. Midas was the best model he could hope to exemplify, but with so little time to spare between them, Cera and Ilaria were often left with only their thoughts beneath Fina's equally lonely eyes. It had led to many nights with Cera awake beneath his exhausted father's wing, bitter and unable to sleep. Often he'd slip from his grasp and embrace the dark skies above, wishing he didn't feel so old that tears seemed too hard to find. Cera managed, and with Ilaria and Fina he had resigned himself to rarely seeing the person he loved most in the world, the only person he wanted to make proud. Shaking himself internally he focused upon what a wonderful thing this was, to finally meet a Forger! He could become an apprentice once more! Cera's gushing is blind to him, but Sohalia manages to offer a quick conformation before he excitedly continued on, desperate to show her just how serious and passionate he was about the craft the Sun Lord had gifted them.

Her gentle chiding stopped him short, and he sheepishly grinned at her, unable to contain his glee despite the silence that accompanied her words. Sohalia, she introduces herself, and Cera commits it to his memory as fast as he is physically and mentally able, listening with such intentness you'd think he was preparing for a quiz upon her words. Flushing in pleasure that she was so pleased to have him as their apprentice, though he felt as if he'd lost half his seasons in age through his joy. Was this really how a yearling should act? He had become so much more mature, and yet here he was bouncing around like a colt! Sohalia didn't seem to mind, however. In fact she encourages him to show her his drawings, and Cera's breath left him in surprised delight. "Of course! Oh, and this is Ilaria," he finished in a calmer voice, his delirious happiness calming similarly. Turning he clattered down the metal ramp, knowing the sand would be the perfect drawing board for his well-practiced talent. Shifting his rump around to face Sohalia where she'd be descending as well, he began to drag his hoof through the sand in sharp, precise lines. He'd done this so many times, he could do it in his sleep. While he did, he began to speak.

"So, our old Forger was more interested in imperialism and design, but of course we need the foundation for that first, so I think that would be best before we waste energy on useless fancies." The dragon head he'd designed, as well as many of the details, had been rather awe-inspiring and Cera did enjoy them. However, he was a quick learner and knew that if they wanted a wall that was sturdy, but one that could be erected in a timely manner, they couldn't splurge too much too soon. "The walkways and the ramps are going to be slick when the metal is smooth, maybe we could add some ridging in places to keep injuries from happening?" By then he'd completely drawn out the design in thorough detail, painstakingly clear. It covered a rather large portion of the sand, and he'd moved and danced around it in a practiced flow as he created it. Finished he glanced up to Sohalia with a gentle smile. "And that's the wall! I think extending what's already made to where the gate will start is the most important for now?" Phrasing it as a question in order to not seem like he was undermining her authority, his attention was soon drawn away by the approach of two other figures.

Turning, Cera gazed upon the grey stallion with interest and unfamiliarity. Nevertheless the man delivered his name in a timely manner without leaving Cera hanging for very long. He spoke with Sohalia first, and Cera curiously eyed the little filly at his side, a shadow. Ilaria had finally warmed to Sohalia when she'd pleased her prince so thoroughly, and purred oddly at the creamy doll until she realized there were even more people to judge. Valentine soon turned to Cera, addressing him directly, and the patchy colt smiled easily. "Thank you, sir Valentine. I'm Cera, Midas' son. This is Ilaria, my companion. It's a pleasure to meet you," he spoke easily, glad to have calmed before more company arrived. It was rather odd to be called handsome, if only because he hung around Midas more than any other, but it was a wonderful sensation that arose in his belly so he did not complain and embraced it wholeheartedly. At last his cinnamon lurker is named, and yet she darts beneath the solidarity of Valentine's presence the moment she is announced.

Cera had more than plenty experience with shy foals, and stepped just a little closer, head bowing to see beneath Valentine at the pretty filly hiding away in his shadow. Smiling as warm as the sun, he mentally nudged Ilaria and she plopped upon his brow, cooing at the child in her strange sounds, tail flicking pleasantly as her cocoa eyes sparkled at the idea of her prince having a playmate. "Hi there, I'm Cera. Aiko, right? I promise I'm not scary, I'd really like to be friends. Are you here to help too?" That is answered for him when Valentine beckons her to his side to aid him in melding yet another warped piece of ore to the structure. Cera straightened to his full height once more and turned to Sohalia with a smile. "What do you ask of me, Miss Sohalia?"

This had to be one of the best days of his life.

image credits
table by whit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!