the Rift

[OPEN] Daughter of snow (Fal, Maumau, Open)

Sielu Posts: 47
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 5 years :: Orangemoon
Angel

Lies. Hate. Bitterness. These are words I had yet to learn; mother kept horrid things from me for the time being; and I hadn’t really gotten out enough to meet people that would carry such strong negative emotions. For a little while children are blessed with a gift of ignorance; knowing that they would spend a majority of their adult life in the truth. I was blissful of most things outside my little box of mother and our growing environment. It was a box that had spreading walls, wider and wider they went. Each hour growing larger until I was brave enough to venture from mothers eyes. Though she never let me get far enough to cause much childish mischief. Besides, I wasn’t a disobedient whelp; whatever mother decreed I followed easily. My mind was still infant enough that I relied on her interpretations when things grew confusing.

Today we are relaxing in a quiet glade, surrounded by tall spruce that blocked the cool air from hitting our bodies, and making the surrounding area rather pleasant feeling. A rare sun blazed brightly above us, the afternoon patchwork clouds made shapes that were always fun to watch, and currently that was the activity I was participating in. Lots of cloud watching. Eventually this activity grew dull, there was only so many clouds in heaven to play with. A quick decision was made to explore; my steps led me through the glade, away from mother and into the trees. I was looking for entertainment, great or small.

credits

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

F a e l e n e
you take the breath right out of me

Time was moving a little faster than Faelene wanted, because while she looked forward to her daughter growing into a lady it would come too soon. Already, she had mastered many phrases, and simple understandings of their world. It made her proud to have a child who wasn't self absorbed, and could see the wonder about. In truth the first time mother was having a hard time balancing what was appropriate for Sielu to know. They had not gotten to hard questions, but they lingered.

Why can't I speak like the rest? The worst on the list, but there were other thing:life, death,pain, and what made them different from the other species she would likely encounter at some point in her life. While she never wanted to tear her from the world, raise her in a bubble, she did want to shield her from what she could. It was natural to protect her from harm of any kind. But, how much braver her little heart grew, and she would find her going much further. Faelene knew she stayed close, she did know what was too far, but it did not make her worry any less. Sielu should meet others, and Faelene had yet to see her gift impacting negatively, but that was the day she feared the most. If someone would be alarmed and disgusted by the gentle words that filled their mind from a lavender filly with mismatched eyes.

Red tail brushed against her hocks while her mouth clipped at the tundra grass. It was a pleasantly, warm day and they were in one of their usual spots merely enjoying being in the sun after damp, cold weather. She tried not to let things plague her thoughts, knowing how poisonous, contaminating negative things could be. It was rough, and there was no one here she wanted to talk to about it. Tolio had left without another good bye, and she had yet to fully give another enough of her own faith. Sielu was much too little to share burdens that shouldn't be hers.

[Image: faeleneicon.png]
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but I'm cold as the wind blows, so hold me in your arms
Had he been putting this day off? Maybe, though he could not quite understand why, if it was so. Children — at least, his own — were something he cherished, treasured.. and two childhoods he had been robbed of, prevented from witnessing. Psyche had stolen Snö from it, although she had found her way back still young, only to turn away from him when Tamlin was born. And Tamlin.. he was back, at about the same age as Snö had been when she returned; Time, Asní, had stolen Mauja and thus, he had not been there for his child.

And now, his.. foolishness, had almost robbed him of his third. Too cautious he had been, and Faelene had almost abandoned him for it. And then, of course, there'd been the issue of Psyche, and how she'd take the news. Fortunately for him, she'd been in a good enough mood to just accept it, with his half-spoken promise that it wouldn't happen again. But even so, that hadn't been yesterday. Weeks had passed. Anyone would see something had shifted between him and the Lady, and the authority with which he'd always spoken with suddenly had more conviction, more truth to it. While the title of the Basin was not King he was one again, in rank as well as essence.

A King who, for some reason, had put off coming into his third child's life.

Somewhere, the logic didn't add up, but on this particularly fine, somewhat sunny day he'd decided it was time. Time for him to meet his second daughter, and time for her to meet her father. Had Faelene ever told her who sired her? Or had she just.. not talked about it? Of course, tell the child and soon the herd would know, and what then if Psyche had forced him to abandon his claim on it?

Worries chased themselves through his head, but he would not let it ruin the day.. the moment. Irma scouted the patchwork sky ahead of him, scanning for the dark shape of Faelene or the somewhat lighter of Sielu. She'd kept an eye on them sometimes, mostly out of curiosity's sake, but seldom relayed what she'd seen or heard. What was the point? None; now she was willingly helping him, though, and eventually spotted Faelene's dark shape within a glade. Spruce trees rose around her, and Sielu's lavender shape flashed among them. Mauja drew a deep breath, held it, and willed his heart to slow its rhythm. This was not a day for war-fast paces; it was supposed to be a day of enlightenment and joy.

One frosted hoof drew in front of another, leaving a trail that melted quickly in the lingering warmth. He'd caught glimpses of the purple child before.. and on purpose, he skirted around where Irma told him she was. He had a feeling it would be better to meet with Faelene first, take that route, but now that he was here.. there was a deep, fierce longing inside, a slight shake to the powerful beat of his heart; a yearning, to know her. A yearning to be accepted, even this far after her birth.

With the sunlight softening his contours Mauja stepped into the glade Sielu had left, and made his way towards Faelene.
Mauja
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Outcast
Angel

The shadows let patched sunlight linger through the glade. I walked between it, not realizing that my pelt stood out like a sore thumb; not knowing that someone who knew me at a distance was coming to talk to my mother. As mentioned before, my state was one of pure bliss. Thankfully nothing of the concerns in our adult world mattered to the minds of children. My heart skipped and bounded, energy knew little of limits. The fluttering song of wings caught my sensitive attention long before a stranger came into view, a flash of white and that was all I had seen—but it was enough to capture curiosity.

My intrigue of this worlds creatures couldn’t be easily appeased; each beetle and bunny—big or small—with or without fur. It usually caught and held my attention longer than my own kind did. Perhaps it was because they couldn’t speak; I had never heard a butterfly yap as my mother did, or even as other foals did. I could relate to animals who held a silent voice much better than with those that waggled their tongue.

It was because I couldn’t talk that much of my time was spent honing other senses. Hearing and smelling, not everything could be simply be seen. Some things where felt; and I was coming to find that the most important of things where sometimes tidbits of information that couldn’t be seen at all. Such as when the sky opened in the morning, you could already tell that dawn was coming long before our bright blaze filled heaven. I turned to look back at my mother, noticing now that a tall figure had emerged from the treeline and was coming up on her.

credits

Hidden Account
Sica

F a e l e n e

Silver eyes had captured the white owl in the sky, but this was not the first time Faelene had spotted Irma watching them so she did not think much of it. She had only ever wondered if the owl did so because she wanted or if her bonded requested the favor. Lacking the ability to ask she continued to graze, checking on Sielu who seemed to notice the same thing. Faelene awaited a question, but there was none. Briefly, she raised her chin, eyes quietly watching the lavender filly with twirling hair of blue. Again she worried it was so quiet, but decided to draw attention away. Perhaps it would soon be time to take her outside the Basin, surely she would like to see the land of snow. An assured smile found its way to her face, thinking a change of view would do them both good. Faelene could hear the quiet beats of someone approaching, and wondered if it was another child. These were not that light, and she curled her neck to see the black spotted stallion.

Sielu did not know who he was because for one Faelene had not found the words to tell her. It seemed wrong without him there, and without knowing what would happen in the end. In fact right than she wasn't sure how to feel, she couldn't tell if his presence meant good things or bad. All this time she thought the absence of drama meant Psyche must have come to some kind of terms with him. The red maned was certain he had become their Lord after all, but she still couldn't quite drop her mask of indifference. There last conversation had been before Sielu's arrival, and she had almost believed he had changed his mind with his changed title. Here he was, headed toward them. Swiftly her attention went to Sielu who had just seemed to realize they had company. Knowing she had influence how this turned out, and remembering her promise, even if it had never been vowed, she let out a warm, short nicker in greeting to Mauja. Oh boy she wished she knew how this would all pan out. It was decided it was time she knew what a father was, that he was hers.

Ascended Helovian

Of course they saw him — it wasn't hard to spot a white horse against a mostly non-white backdrop. In faint amusement his eyes skipped to Sielu. She'd inherited his inability to merge with a green forest, but not quite in the way you would've expected. He had no idea where the purple had come from, because he was fairly sure it had never occurred in his bloodlines, so maybe it was something in Faelene's? With a small smile curling his lips he turned his eyes from his daughter, and felt the rush of wind over wings as Irma disappeared above the treetops, leaving him alone with part of his family. Would his caution almost shatter everything again? It would be so cruel, to be so near taking his place in their lives, and be robbed of it.. no word had escaped of his involvement in creating Sielu, and the red-maned had remained within the Basin, so surely she hadn't changed her mind? And if she had — he was sure she'd do him the courtesy of letting him know, but even so his thoughts chased themselves around and around. Fear of losing those he loved. If Psyche could turn out to be warm beneath her ambitious and cold-hearted black, and d'Artagnan pick out something harmless amidst the poison for him to get high on.. what was to say Faelene wasn't about to let him into her, and Sielu's life?

Fear was foolish, but since last they met Mauja had spent more time exploring the dangerous concept called trust, and her greeting softened the knot of anxiety inside. All would be fine. She didn't seem the type of stab him in the face after smiling at him.

A low neigh rumbled in his chest, eyes flitting to Sielu again, to see if she would approach or remain, warily, in the distance. It was a shame he didn't know her better, but how could he possibly? Bit by bit excitement overtook the chaos of mild fear, and when his long legs had taken him to Faelene's dark side his neck extended, muzzle seeking to brush against hers in their customary greeting. There was something bright in his eyes, to mirror the anticipation of the moment. "Hello," he murmured, keeping close to her — for a moment he sought her silver eyes out, to hold them, somehow try to convey his sincerity and excitement at the same time, and then he let them slide back to Sielu. She was a strange child, stranger than any he'd ever seen, with her smoking mane and tail. Strange, yes, but still his, nothing so simple as strangeness was going to put him off claiming her. Besides, Helovia was full of strange horses. "I'm sorry I took so long.. but I wanted to make sure she was fine with it, and not just said she was." And besides, with how that conversation had ended.. it felt strange to think about, like it hadn't quite been the Dark Empress and the Frostheart in that cave anymore. What it meant.. he still didn't know.

But, Psyche hadn't seemed to carry any grudge about Sielu, and hadn't come after his ass to chew him out about it since then either. And so, he could only assume she really was fine with it. "Has she said anything to you?" Maybe she had. Maybe she hadn't.
Mauja

Outcast
Angel

I’d seen my momma interact with a handful of adults; watching this sort of ongoing was just as important as learning which plants are safe to consume and which would give regretful sickness. I wasn’t born with social grace, manners, or the starting’s of anything aside from selfish infant needs. Like every child that had come before me, I had to watch keenly when given opportunity if those valuable social lessons were to be learned. It wasn’t just vocal words that gave meaning, I noticed that people used their body language as well—sometimes they used only their bodies to communicate. Even the look inside one’s eyes could give away their intent. Momma nickered to the alabaster man, the stranger, a sound that I would never be able to make aloud. She welcomed him like a friend, and that was enough for me to take the necessary steps toward them without fear or worry.

He came, extending to brush against her muzzle. A traditional show of affection, or fellowship? I couldn’t tell which; somehow though, his caresses are unlike the ones me and Momma share. My mental fingers reach out to her. These threads are like silver rays of living light, extending from the soul—from my very essence; powerful, yet fragile and childlike. I ask a quiet question, one she would have known to be quick on heel, “Who is it?”

By the time he starts to speak I am trailing toward the opposite side of Momma’s blossoming heat, drawing back my whiskers enough to nuzzle a soft snout into the corners of her ebony flank. Every inch of her flesh is alive with warmth and comfortingly familiar, it is a throbbing warmth that soothes. I had felt those icy eyes on me, staring, long before my short steps ungracefully carried me to mother’s hindquarter. I waited silently, listening, because silence was all that could be mustered. Thankfully I would never be one of those yappy children; Momma would get to converse with adults—without the braying of a foal understep.

credits

Hidden Account
Sica

F a e l e n e

He would return her call and she felt her dark face ease to better reveal her emotions of trust, and calm. There was no reason to hide those from her her daughter, and she swiftly offered Sielu a glance that conveyed this would interest her. When Mauja cut the distance, sweeping the tip of his own dark muzzle to hers, Faelene returned the action. While she meant to engage her daughter, she saw a change to his ice blue eyes, one that seemed to say he had wanted to do this sooner. Any assumptions, fickle thoughts left her mind, and she smiled after offering him a quiet nod. The Frostheart was given this chance, and the rest would be up to Sielu. He must know children had minds, hearts of their own, and it might take time. Where their daughter was young, had a chance to grow knowing who he was now she saw her accepting him as part of their world.

Before Faelene had to wonder if the filly would join them the gentle voice of her child spoke to her, asking about this fellow. Silver eyes quietly sought for Sielu's gaze, trying to convey she would explain in a moment. Attention politely returns to Mauja, feeling the comforting brush of a small snout while he speaks. "I understand," she murmured, because she did or would like to think she did. She had stayed here after all, not speaking to a soul about any of it as hard as that was at first. Yet, there was a small bite of fear gnawing at her, wondering if the Frostheart was for certain about Pscyhe's feelings. Faelene had not spoken at all to the Dark Empress, and knew she needed to. Did she think she a coward? Hiding behind the white stallion? There had been a lot to cross her mind.

Gently she shook her head in reply. "No, I'm sure she's waiting for me to speak to her about matters." The Thief tried to hint there was other things she needed to tell her Lady, and there sorta were. Quickly she stuffed that all in the corners of her mind, not wanting to think how, or when she was going to do that. The smile she had remained, as if there was no anxiety eating at her own soul for what was in store for herself. With an excuse to answer Sielu, she did not say any more about it.

Turning her head, she attempted to reach for the lavender hide, brush her muzzle to the small, curved nape. "Sielu," she softly began, "This is Mauja the Frostheart." Eyes flicked between the young lady's and his letting that part settle amongst them. While Faelene had thought a lot about how this conversation would go, how to explain what he was, and what that meant words simply came to her that felt right. "He is your father Sielu, and loves you just as I do." Patiently, the mother waited for more questions, but she kept a careful eye on Mauja's face. If Sielu decided to talk to him, she was sure something on his own white, spotted mask would change.

Ascended Helovian

[ this might be interesting, as I think Mauja is immune to Sielu's magic xD her attempts to reach his mind would probably be like meeting a kind of.. smooth wall? however, he can lower it with some practice, so we'll just have to work it out. xP ]

It was a good day for new beginnings. Despite the way he felt uncertain, afraid of Sielu's rejection; he had simply decided that it was a good day. The air was pleasantly cool, the sun spreading just enough warmth across the white curve of his back, the wind fresh and full of life despite autumn having set its claws in their land... It was not the life-scent of spring, but something richer, deeper, more mature, of grass wilting and plants returning to earth, becoming the soil for the next generation to take nutrition from. So all in all, it was a good, pleasant day, and the only shadow hanging across his heart was that fear of his daughter not wanting to accept him. Would she understand why he had been absent in her life, yet so present in the Basin? Would she accept his reasoning? And if she didn't.. would she, bitterly, turn him away, say he didn't love her, and not understand until she was a lot older — when many things were already too late?

How sharp, how perceptive, was her mind?

She drew nearer, seemingly unafraid, and his soft eyes watched her carefully. If he had lived like a shadow in her life until now.. perhaps he could do so for the rest of her life, too? Always one to assume the worst he chided himself, but with something akin to amusement lacing the thought. Nothing had been said, nor done, yet, though his gaze grew sharper and flitted to Faelene's face for a moment. What matters? he wanted to ask; only this, or something else, too? Somehow, he got the feeling she'd meant something, something more, but with their lavender girl so close by, it seemed she didn't wish to speak of it.. not to mention it'd be rude to ignore their daughter now that she'd joined them.

Faelene's back blocked most of his view, so he raised his neck, pulling his head up higher as he stood tall beside the black mare, casting his blue gaze across the curve of her hips. Wisps of icy smoke poured from the child's mane and tailbone, shifting and drifting in the faint wind, but he had a feeling they would always move even when no wind blew. He itched to quiz Faelene about her bloodlines, to find out where this sweet abnormality came from, if it was something in her blood — or something that had just happened, as unexplainable as most things in Helovia.

"Sielu, this is Mauja the Frostheart." Her voice was soft, and Mauja almost stopped breathing. This is it. Feeling it would be rather rude to stand like some giraffe with Faelene between them and staring down at his child he drew forward half a step, curving his pale body in front of Faelene's. "He is your father Sielu, and loves you just as I do." And so, the time of silence was past, and the time of something else had begun. Mauja's usual, soft smile spread across his face, the blue of his eyes gentle; a creature of winter, he was either the cold, sharp edge of ice, or the softness of a snow drift. And now, he was the latter.

"Hello Sielu," he said quietly, allowing the miasma of emotions into his voice: cautious love, warmth, a hint of excitement...

Perhaps he should've said more — maybe he had intended to — but standing there, for the first time looking upon his child as her father and not a stranger, he was robbed of all words.
Mauja

Outcast
Angel

They conversed for a few moments, drawing themselves into a conversation that had nothing to do with me—yet, it had everything to do with me. I wouldn’t realize that for many months to come, just as I wouldn’t fully realize the implications of this fellow’s presence today. How can children measure the importance of a memory? Or the filling of a hole? Surely when I got a little older I would notice that something had been missing in my small world that consisted of Momma and me. If he had remained a shadow; surely I would have gotten confused, maybe even bitter. This memory would serve as a reminder, comfort, lesson. He is watching me again, though I’m not certain those eyes have ever left.

My crown lifts, brushing the high points of Momma’s quarter, taking liberty to gaze at the strong jawline of this towering stranger. I had no use for fear, it hadn’t been learned yet; nor was there a firm understanding in the high speaking ways of mannerism. It was only natural when dual glass orbs met the stare of my sire, that I stared as only a small youngling might look up with their fingers still trapped in the recesses of a too small mouth; innocent curiosity—I was looking into the gaze of my latest plaything of interest.

She reached for me, stroking the top of my neck and below. I was a physical sort of foal, so when Ma offered touch, hints of a smile took shape across this her babes lilac cavity. In turn my muzzle stretched out; pushing delicate snout into her face—trying to rub down the curve of her jowl that came within reach. “Sielu,” as any good natured child might, I shift my eyes to her to show my attentiveness.

Something was different about the way she stared at me though…I couldn’t give name to this change.

“This is Mauja the Frostheart.”

He…Mauja…moves from the opposite side to stand before me, exposed, yet there was also caution with half his body hidden, but the important half made appearance. I take a moment to observe all that makes this person who he was or…is—down to the heavy feathering that shields his feet. In time my forefeet would also have feathering, though it wouldn’t be the feathering of hair—but of frosty mist.

Like the rest of our family, there is a horn sprouting from his brow; icy blue and somehow dangerously beautiful. Like an ice sickle. “He is your father Sielu, and loves you just as I do.”

Lips had curved into an easy smile—now they pitched down in a way that was unflattering for this face, yet necessary to convey a feeling. I wasn’t an ignorant foal, Momma had taught me what such words meant; mostly by using example. Once before, we had seen an eagle pair--high uptop a tall green spruce. She had mentioned how they were a ‘mated pair’, fixing to have hatchlings. I learned through them that children had both a Ma, and a Da. Though I never thought to question the meaning it would have on my end of things; it was information that had been stored away for another day—and I had simply moved onto the next exciting discovery.

Gently I press out, stretching with silver tendrils until I had touched Momma’s mind enough for what I wanted to show. Through this bond I send her the image of that eagle pair we had seen some time back, verifying the word ‘father’ with a sense of needed assurance. “Hello Sielu,” My concentration wavers but holds our link firmly together with the same mild way of touching. I meet my father’s gaze, now they are staring at me with a recognizable tenderness—I wanted to say something, to say hello in return. Sending some of those magical cords his way I tried to make first contact. I also try something new; I was attempting to touch the minds of both adults at the same time.

Small fingers didn’t make it far; and this shocked me. Little face broke into a full out frown, tiny brows narrowed and my front limbs started to widen; as if I was bracing against whatever blocked my path. Prying deeper I pushed against the strange barrier, searching its smooth walls for entrance. Below, above, all sides, they remained intact and unable to give me boon. A child’s patience was short, and I held no exception. My attempts had always been reward with the release only speech could give, a simple release that all creatures seemed able to express in one way or another. This was unfamiliar and creating a hot ball of…frustration…it cloaked my face in heat—making me flush.

With a toddlers frustration I switched back to Momma, my questioning gaze turning to her for guidance. “I…can’t talk to him…what’s wrong?”
credits

Hidden Account
Sica

F a e l e n e

There was no one, at least that Faelene knew, Sielu did not like. She saw no reason why she wouldn't accept her own sire. She had not known he was something more till now, and if she questioned that Faelene believed together they could explain it. The full story she rather not tell her till she was much older if she could. Sielu was sharp as a tack, putting things together swiftly for one so young. But, how much Faelene didn't want to glance into the future, anticipating all the problems that could come up, imagining conflicts. Without being a holder of fate it seemed like a cruel waste of time to fret over things with no control, no knowledge.

With her daughter beside her, her own pillar of comfort and strength, she would merely stare back, but more blankly. She doubted she could begin to explain what she thought, and felt she had to do. She didn't need anyone convincing her other wise. While it was in the blood of men to protect and shield, they seemed to forget mothers, woman had it tenfold.

By the looks of the ice beast she knew he was surprised and marveled by not only the color, but the works of her hair too. She had yet to find someone who didn't find her appearance unique. Sadly Faelene knew only that her father had had blue mane, beyond that she had no idea. Could anything quite explain it? All she was certain was this filly was hers, and she would do anything for her. While she wished to coax her closer, she knew it best to let her choose her pace. Gentle smile took over dark features, seeing the glow of her innocent smile, the touch that was never hesitant to be returned, that proved to her she had to be doing something right. Mauja was smart to move, feeling more part of the small circle than an outsider peering in. Faelene did not move away from the young lady, clearly seeing the expression that meant a question was under way. Sielu always seemed to want to be sure, and Faelene was given the picture of the birds of prey. "Yes," she says, making sure to keep a strong yet gentle tone. While she still felt the gentle touch, she heard Mauja greet her and Faelene had to catch a glimpse.She had seen the affections of parents, but she thought there was something special to the softness he held just for Sielu.

When the mother looked back it did not take long to see something was wrong. The determined stance,and the lines that crossed the lavender visage meant she was unable to accomplish something. It did not take her even a second to guess what. Faelene pressed her face to the warm cheeks, drawing her body closer, and than giving her back a little space she met her eyes. “I…can’t talk to him…what’s wrong?” She did not know for certain, but let her eyes look to blue irises. "I think he has a shield over his mind," she began, looking to him for possible conformation. She looked down at the pair of eyes of different colors. " Remember how I have one for my body?" She said, hoping that would be the best explanation. Turning, she raised her head knowing he might be a little lost. "She wants to talk to you, but she can't. Her voice is not heard by ears."

Ascended Helovian

"Yes," Faelene suddenly said, as if answering some question; that Sielu had asked something even he could understand, seeing the way she gazed at Faelene, and the way her expression had changed at hearing that this white beast peering at her was her father. But what she had asked, he had no idea. Mauja wondered if she disliked it — he hadn't spent enough time around her to know what that frown meant, but it wasn't full of sunshine and daises. Maybe she would've wanted him to be some kind of uncle instead, Faelene's trusted brother, here to tell stories and play with her in the fading tundra grasses, weave in and out of the scrubby trees? Briefly he wondered if she knew who he was, or if Faelene had kept her from the Basin politics — not that his rank mattered anyway, but if she had a concept of what it meant..? Would it matter, to her?

And then, the most peculiar thing happened.

It certainly wasn't what he had expected. He had been waiting for a small, young voice to say something back, words to spill out from her dark lips, but instead, it felt like someone poured cold water on his brain. It slid along the inside of his cranium, like a wet snake under his skin; blue eyes widened, but otherwise he remained motionless, staring at nothing and just examining the sensation. It felt wrong, alien, uncomfortable and outright creepy, that tender silver mist raking along the ice walls of his mind.

Then, as suddenly as it had begun, it stopped, and Mauja released a breath he hadn't been aware of holding. He blinked in the sunlight as warmth returned to the world. Things felt more normal, but he still remembered the echo of that wet, slithering feeling of his unyielding mind being submerged in something. "I think he has a shield over his mind." Those words pulled him back to the past, gaze snapping to his daughter; she stood poised as if pushing against something, Faelene soothing her with voice and body. What the hell just happened? At a loss for words, and feeling like he did not understand the crucial thing, he simply stared helplessly at the pair, wondering if he wasn't meant to be a part of their world after all; the notion clawed at his heart, but before his frantic mind could leap to all the wrong conclusions, Faelene's voice broke through the silence again. "She wants to talk to you, but she can't. Her voice is not heard by ears."

For a moment, he couldn't understand what she was saying, but Irma helpfully rolled into his soul. Like I do, she seemed to say; their communication was always in concepts and images, feelings and thoughts shared without words yet he knew what she meant as clearly as if she'd spoken it in his ear. Your mind is like someone frozen. She rolled over gently in the air; he could feel the tug of wind against her feathers, the feeling of freedom she associated with tumbling around in the sky. I sometimes wonder why you haven't got a cramp in it yet, always pulling yourself closer and closer, hugging your thoughts tight. Just let go.. relax, for a moment...

She had known. She had known all along.
And he hadn't.

It seemed that months of paranoia had had a tangible effect, and Mauja blinked in the sunlight once more, trying to feel his own thoughts — his own mind — out. How would he detect it? How would he know it?

Do I block out you at times, too?
No. I speak to your soul, your heart, not your thoughts.

"I'm sorry," he said softly, wondering how long he'd been semi-spaced out. A few seconds? Longer? "I didn't know. I.. don't even know how to stop." He frowned slightly, before letting his distant gaze grow more focused. Still looking somewhat concentrated he peered at Sielu. "Would you mind helping me out? Just keep trying until I manage to let you in..." And slowly, he started to try and picture it like ice, the way it froze over rivers and brooks. He tried to be aware of the world around him, more than usual, to relax the tight knot of his thoughts, as Irma had put it — hoping to feel the touch of his daughter's mind again, but this time, to hear her words and not only feel her slide across the blank screen separating him from the world.

[ I plan on having him manage to lower something enough to let her in, so if you want to Angel, you're welcome to say you find some way through in your next post. :3 Up to you! ]
Mauja

Outcast
Angel

It is insanely frustrating. I don’t notice that my magic made him uncomfortable, I’m too busy trying to figure out why ‘it’ isn’t working. Trying to do something that normal people found easy, why couldn’t it be easy? Was there something wrong with this gift? My wondering creates a strange twisting sensation along each heartstring, this new sensation was even worst then the previous embarrassment of not being able to communicate. Would I fail to talk at all? Terrible wretched fear entered my soul, fear that crawled its first paths; sticky and poisonous.

Suddenly I felt her, my one true blanket of safety; my net of protection. She came closer, rubbing her muzzle along my strained features. I turned to her instantly out of distress, pressing into the side of her cheek that was closest to me as if she was my only form of strength and safety. Little limbs twist to take a step toward her warm shoulders in an attempt to be comforted. Momma had verified that that this man was…my…father? The mated half of my Mother? Had they made me as the eagle made chicks? Somehow I couldn’t think to ask this questions right now, and didn’t, though it would surely come up again later. I could ask and ask and ask, a gazillion questions could/would blaze through the tangle web that was a woman’s mind; even more tangled since I currently wasn’t a women, but a wide eyed toddler.

My eyes slide close as a way to somehow block out the words that screamed for release, that is when I hear her soft voice slip across my ears beckoning me to open up again, “I think he has a shield over his mind.” Shield. That was a new word to add ontop of a growing collection, feeling slightly more curious by this new word I dry mouth it as she had said it and turn my eyes upward to hear the rest of an expected explanation, “Remember how I have one for my body?” Oh. My lips curve into a perfect O, and I simply stare at her for a moment before turning back to this stranger that would be my Sire. Momma could apply a barrier around her physical body, protecting it from danger. I had seen her practice on occasion.

“She wants to talk to you, but she can’t. Her voice is not heard by ears.”

I stare at him, and wait. Not sure if I should try again, to afraid that I might fail even if the attempt is dared. “I’m sorry.” My father finally says after a long pause. I blink and keep silent (which was all that could be done.) “I didn’t know…I…don’t even know how to stop.” He seems frustrated as well, I can hear the hints of it in his voice; see the icy pools grow more focused. My own tight ball melts away and my feet take a timid step forward, head inclined toward him—this was something we would have to learn…together. “Would you mind helping me out? Just keep trying until I manage to let you in…”

Slowly I spare a glance at Momma to find reassurance, and turn back. With a deep breath, we begin again. Just as gently as before I stretch out, the invisible threads of silver light find his mind and I move to create a link.

Another wall stops me; this time my talent presses on, searching every inch for quarter. After a moment, nothing. Without my realizing it dual lids slither close and the strength of the light increases until he is the only thing I can feel. Worldly sounds fade out into a soft hum, they seem muted almost; even the presence of my Momma, though I can feel her all along—is dimmed.
Every ounce of willpower goes into finding a crack, a space. Finally a thinner spot is revealed, or so it seemed--I linger there, “Daddy….?” I test timidly, in voice that would mimic the flowing of a breeze.
credits
Ascended Helovian

[ Sica gave me permission to skip <3 ]

He wasn't sure what he was afraid of, but he couldn't deny that the exercise had his heart beating for all the wrong reasons. It took willpower to remain grounded, to not let his ears rotate freely, or sample every scent that came to him on the breeze. The shield around his mind was something he had apparently created by willpower, magic given life simply because he held his thoughts so tightly, and it was there for a reason. It was there, because his mind was his and his alone, and despite the fact that he was sure the walls would slide into place if he was overwhelmed by something.. he couldn't help but feel like what he was doing was making himself vulnerable, as if all his thoughts and plans would rush out, or the world rush in and knock him senseless, rifle through every moment of his life, relive every memory, steal every closely guarded secret... It was part fear, part a strong privacy, that had erected the icy wall of his mind, and it was that fear that tried, time and again, to trip him up. To hug his thoughts closer.

Strangely enough, Irma was a patient touch upon his soul, a soothing, lukewarm breeze in his heart. She was being oddly encouraging, and even though Mauja's eyes remained on Sielu, the focus slid away and the world became a blur. He stared at infinity, knowing that it wouldn't matter what he looked at, for the magic was not something he could see.

And there it was again, that hesitant touch, like cold water sloshing around in his cranium. A slight shiver traveled down his spine, and simply the semi-physical sensation told him that it was wrong. He didn't want to let the world in, or his thoughts out, but neither did he want to shove his daughter aside; had he come this far, risked it by obtaining Psyche's approval, only to lose it? No. And so, his eyes gradually closed, too, for he knew that Irma had winged closer again, keeping her own eyes on the surroundings to ease what of his worries she could. Her warmth suffused him, and after a moment, Sielu's strange mind-touch did not feel so cold anymore. He tried to envision it, anything to help him do this, tried to see a way for her to come past.. to come inside...

"Daddy...?"

It was a faint whisper, almost like a thought created by himself, but some faint notion of sound – of tinkling water, little bells and the rustle of leaves in the wind – carried with it, and he knew that it did not originate within his own mind... He knew that it came from her, because the seeking tendrils that had lapped against his walls were gone, except for that tenuous, whisper-light touch where he had let her in.

"Hello daughter," he murmured, eyes half-lidded still, his mind on not letting the gap slide shut; his deep voice rolled across the small distance between them, heartfelt but with that edge of concentration to it. "How are you?"
Mauja

Outcast
Angel

Finally, I can feel the crack within his ice shield; my mind seeps through like a warm tide of pure light energy—for it was very warm because a child’s soul was the source. With that single word came emotion, raw intuitive emotion that swept into his frontal lobe so that he might feel the bubbly triumph which burst through this body as if nothing else could contain it. A bright smile creases across my face, each corner spreading wider than before until I am practically beaming up at him, “How are you?”

Softly, but quite readily I reply,, “Better now,” indeed I was certainly feeling much better--already my tense frame had grown immensely more relaxed now that our connection had been harnessed. “Are you going to stay awhile? Do you want to play?” An older child might wonder if this tall, serious looking creature would even give notice to the idea of games; but I was not an older child, nor was I one to miss out on an opportunity for companionship. Questions flowed out like a river, unchecked and full of giggles. Within the bond came visual flashes of me frolicking through the snow as if to add proof on how much fun we could have together. (With Momma as well, of course.) Chasing wild rabbit and fox out of playful sport. Darting between timbers with their branches heavy from a morning mist. Simply enjoying life, living in the moment—wasn’t that something a youth was well known for?

OOC: Sorry for the wait ^^; Not sure where the muse has gone off!
credits
Ascended Helovian

[ No worries! <3 Maybe Faelene can join in again now? ]

“Better now,” she replied, a feather-light touch upon his mind; it no longer felt like diving into a cold ocean, but rather like rolling in a gentle stream warmed by summer sunlight. Yet there was a hint of spring to it, something fresh and young, the beginning of life after a long, long sleep – youth, he realized, emerging into the world, just like the seasons. "I'm glad," he replied, in the physical world, his voice deep and resonant. It was becoming easier, keeping that window open for her to push her head in through, and he found that he could shut the other cracks he had made, without shutting her out. At least, if the faint presence he could feel was hers, but he thought so. It felt like her speech had, but fainter, like a memory, or an echo, and but a moment later her mind-voice seeped into his thoughts again, showing truly how young she was. If others had ever bothered Sielu for her lack of a tangible voice, it certainly didn't show in the emotions tumbling into him. Had Faelene kept her isolated, or had the unicorns of the Basin for once behaved?

"I am going to stay a long time," he replied quietly, knowing it wasn't quite what she had asked, but his heart demanded he say it; she was his flesh and blood, a combination of black and white, just as much his as she belonged to herself, and Faelene. His blue eyes had opened again as he found the connection easier to maintain, and now they drifted up to the dark, silent mother. Ours, he realized, taking a moment to simply feel it out – theirs, but they did not belong to one another. She was not his lover; he did not hold her heart. They were independent, and he wondered if what they had found would be changed now. She had almost shoved him out that night when he found no way to properly express himself, and since then, he'd seen too little of her.

Well. No point in worrying about that. Only time would tell. The corners of his mouth curled up into a mischievous grin, and his eyes flashed with amusement as he tried to catch Faelene's silver gaze. "What do you say, Faelene? Up for a little jaunt through the snow?" He wasn't sure if the dark mare had been privy to the exchange between Sielu and himself, but she had been included in the visions. Winking at his daughter Mauja lowered his head, breathed by her ear and whispered: "We'll make her come along, won't we?"
Mauja

Hidden Account
Sica

F a e l e n e

There was tightness crossing her chest, but was loosened, seeing the small face brighten. The way it was meant to be. The conversation was one sided for her, but she did not mind listening to the answers the spotted stallion supplied her. It was a nice change for her to be talking to someone else, being given what she sought in a different point of the world. That was one thing Faelene wished she could do more of, let Sielu get her own perspective of the world without her tainting it in some way. (Not that she tried to sway her.)

Sharply her black ears had turned just so, a little surprised he was telling Sielu that. Faelene wanted to believe he meant it, but it seemed such a huge promise. Yet, hadn't she said she would always be here for her? Was it easy to promise a child that, if they were your own, or was it a promise without thought? The scarred voice of cruelness told her it was done without weighing reality. When she was still just a baby, what else could you say? For now she was convinced they would both do what they could to keep that vow. While Faelene had no idea why the ice blue eyes looked to her, she met them, offering a silent smile only in the swirls of silver. It wasn't quite "I told you so" but that of gratitude, and acceptance. How couldn't he fall to the charms of the sweet innocent he had helped bring into this world? Had it been that bad in the end? If Sielu was asking about pair of birds again, she hoped he didn't think it was in any way an expectation. Only the question of a child that was always wondering. Faelene knew much better than to let any have her heart, but Sielu. That was crippling enough, and no one, but a golden Pegasus had wanted it. Even then, she didn't think it was for the right reasons.

The red maned lady glimpsed her mauve colored child curious what she might be telling him as it seemed more quiet. Though Sielu more animated. The dark cloaked mare couldn't avoid the brief roguish look that had appeared on their Lord's face. A flash, that she wasn't sure she had seen. While she had a fairly good idea what was about to happen, she felt a piece was missing when he asked the question."Someone's got to keep an eye on you, don't they?" She volunteered in a playful tone, about to gently bump her nose to Sielu's side, but held back watching the intimacy of father and daughter. If only life was always this easy, this simple.