the Rift

[PRIVATE] we were tall as trees.

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!
HOTOTO</style>
   HE WHO IS BRAVE IS FREE.</style>

I am crossing my legs, my wings, my ears, and my eyes hoping that mother does not know about my recent galavant to the Throat. She likely noticed my absence, as it was a long travel, but I hope that she will not question me when I say I was just playing in the mountains on the outskirts of our territory. I have become such a bad child, truly, these past couple of months. Lying to mother, who would have thought.

I do feel ashamed that it has come to this, but I am a growing boy. My mind as well as my body, which seems to gain a few inches every time I gaze at my reflection. More and more, I begin to doubt the word I followed thoughtlessly just months ago. Ktulu's word, formerly law, now seemed like guidelines, but even those lines were beginning to blur. I remember not so clearly my childish memories of her, but I remember the fervorent love I held her with. Her dark figure now seems more shady than previously, and the crimson eyes that peer out gently toward me turn cold when they glance elsewhere. How had I not noticed before? Of course, I still love my mother. There will never be a time when my heart does not favor her over all others. Maybe, what I am trying to say, is that I am growing up.

I am not blind the world's darkest corners anymore. For all of the beauty within this earth, I am beginning to think there are also unspeakably ugly things. What else could cool the gaze of mother, who I thought of as so warm? What else could pull the former residents of the Foothills from their homes? What else could cause the fear in Midas's chest when Cera and I were in potential danger? Surely, for all of the brilliance, there is also darkness.

Maybe, I am just beginning to notice them.

Anyway, as I said, I waltz back into the farthest southern, eastern border, trying to hide in the trees until I am safe within the boundaries of our home and far away from the wrath of my dearest mother when she finds out I wondered off alone again. When the sounds of the great waterfall can be heard in the distance, I finally step out into an area of lush grass and rolling hills. I had thought many times since we came to live here that the Foothills are beautiful. They remind me very much of the earth, which mother claims is tied to me. I still do not know, but I remember the dark mare saying that my voice can move it. Faelene. I think they are both wrong. I am not something special.

I am just an ornery, growing, finally seeing for the first time... boy.

[ For Ktulu & family. ]
""

Stock Providers: Horse, Wings, and Background.

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
[Image: 50a7eed791df8]

KTULU THE CONSTRICTOR

from adversity, heroes are born

It was with anxiousness that Ktulu regarded the thought of her first and only son. She had not seen him in some time and knowing that her blood flowed through his veins was enough for her to know that he was off and more than likely up to no good. Her sweet, obedient, innocent little boy was growing up. He was filling out and becoming more muscular, taking on the build of his father. He was a sight to see, but as he grew so did the ache in his mother's chest. Still, with all his growing he was innocent. How could someone so innocent come from her?

For all his innocence, however, he was a sneak.

His absence was not missed by Ktulu, nor was it missed by Eytan. She could feel her companions mixed emotions over Hototo's disappearance. His confusion and sadness at being left behind by his friend once again and a touch of anger that he would wander off and leave his mother to worry. Ktulu quelled her bonded's emotions with a gentle nuzzle to the top of his head then sent him on his way to scout as she headed toward the waterfall where she had met the Earth God one before. It was there that he had told her that he had bigger plans for her in the future when he'd given Kimber magic. How was she to know then that his bigger plans meant raising his son?

Her journey to the waterfall was a long one, dotted with sporadic grazing on the lush patches of clover that would soon succumb to the cooler temperatures. Normally she would skip grazing and keep searching until she found her son, but she was eating not only for herself. Once again she was with child, but this time she knew how important it was to focus on her nourishment if she meant to have a healthy child when the time came.

Dark ears rotated and tilted in the direction of the waterfall, though her head remained down and she continued to graze. Her head jerked up rather suddenly and her crimson gaze swept across the landscape and landed on the multicolored body of her son. Ktulu continued to chew as she watched him waltz about as if he had not a care in the world. She remembered a time when she had been as carefree and sometimes longed for those times.

"Where have you been?" She asked, her voice ringing out over the meadow. "Eytan is quite upset that you left him once again."

Icon by Tay

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!
HOTOTO</style>
   HE WHO IS BRAVE IS FREE.</style>

I thought I had made a clean reentry, until, of course, the resounding voice of my mother snaps across the meadow and my head jerks up and around. I attempt to look as innocent as possible, but the startle she had caused me nearly made me jump out of my skin, and it is no small wonder if she would know that I had been up to something. Mother is smarter than me, to be certain, and she is not fooled easily. I smile warmly at her before bounding over to her side, however. No matter how guilty I am, I still love her. Maybe one day I will out grow the need to run to her side whenever I am back from one of my adventures, but it will not be this day.

I race forward, cutting over the small grass to find myself skidding to a halt and turning on my growing limbs. My horned head leans in to nudge the small of her neck, a bright smile on my face. "Mother!" I said, blithely ignoring her question for a moment as I look to her with warm bicolored eyes. The stern look of her crimson orbs was caused by me, though, and I know it to be well. I look down at the small bear with a regretful face, nudging his head gently as well. "Sorry, Bear," I say, my voice sorrowful and small in his ears. "Next time, I will take you." Slowly, I begin to turn my head back to face mother, a smile plastered on my lips as I stride forward a little bit, swerving around to look her in the eye before lowering my head.

My lips close to the ground I begin to mumble, my resolve to lie to her disappearing as soon as I would actually have to utter the words. "I may have..." I begin, eyes glancing up at her, before quickly darting back down. "...gone to the Throat." I then look back up at her, peering from behind lashes of white with a silent plea for mercy. I hope she would not be too angry, but mother rarely got angry with me. I choose to avoid lying, and I must say that I am proud of myself for doing so. Perhaps, this is only because I am too much of a coward to lie to my mother, or maybe it is because I love her too much to try to deceive her.

"I wanted to see Midas and Cera," I say, my voice still small but not as mumbled as before.
""

Stock Providers: Horse, Wings, and Background.

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
[Image: 50a7eed791df8]

KTULU THE CONSTRICTOR

from adversity, heroes are born

Ktulu's voice had drawn Eytan back to her side where he sat and watched Hototo with a disapproving look in his eyes. Ktulu merely watched her son as he ran to her, his voice calling to her as if he had not wandered off and left her to worry. When he nudged her neck she ducked her head down and nipped gently at his shoulder. For as mean and strict as she suspected her herd thought her to be she did not have the heart to punish her son physically even when she felt he deserved it. Eytan did not seem to truly accept Hototo's apology judging only from the grumble and the way he leaned away from Hototo's nudge. The bear then climbed back to his feet and began to walk off, still grumbling to himself.

The Chieftess' ears were tilted forward as she watched her companion stalk away, surprisingly more upset about Hototo's disappearance than she was. When her son began to speak again her head swung back around and she looked at him. Her face darkened considerably when he mentioned going to the Throat. She made no attempt to hide her dislike of the desert herdland and she knew it. Her expression shifted, however, when he mentioned wanting to see Midas and Cera. "And did you find them?" She asked, knowing that more than likely Midas had been no where to be found. He'd been hanging around the Foothills ever since their night together in the meadow.

Her pale tail flicked against her legs as she ducked her head down to grab at another mouthful of clover, only to raise her head once more and watch Hototo as she chewed. "I don't mind if you go." She finally decided because she really couldn't stop him anymore. He was a yearling and he was growing up. Soon he would be out on his own even if she wished for him to stay. He had to make his own way in the world just as she had to make hers. "Just let me know where you're going." It was her only request, really. That way she would know where to start looking if he was gone for too long.

Icon by Tay